PDA

View Full Version : Why the Cowart Trade was an Excellent Deal for You

MN_Jet_Fan
03-19-2005, 02:59 PM
1) 7th round picks are usually special team players or practice squad guys. LOW RISK

2) It proves me right because I predicted he'd be a Vike :D

3) Leadership. Bottom line: Here's the defensive leadership you've been lacking.

4) He's not EJ. No offense, but Henderson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Awareness and instincts are crucial at the Mike position.

If he stays healthy Cowart can still play. Sure he lost his starting job last year. But it was to Vilma, the DROY. Congrats folks on this trade.

sabatajh
03-19-2005, 03:37 PM
"MN_Jet_Fan" wrote:

1) 7th round picks are usually special team players or practice squad guys. LOW RISK

3) Leadership. Bottom line: Here's the defensive leadership you've been lacking.

4) He's not EJ. No offense, but Henderson isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Awareness and instincts are crucial at the Mike position.

If he stays healthy Cowart can still play. Sure he lost his starting job last year. But it was to Vilma, the DROY. Congrats folks on this trade.

Thanks man its always good when a rival fan can acknowledge a good pick up.

VikingsTw
03-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I remeber you came on about 2 months ago, and said we should get sign Cowart when he is released. GOOD CALL Dude.

XxS2TheEvoxX
03-19-2005, 04:21 PM
"MN_Jet_Fan" wrote:

Thanks for acknowledging that man. :thumbright:

VIKES_1181
03-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Cowart

LosAngelis
03-19-2005, 06:11 PM
All that y'all gave up was a 7th round pick! That's a practice squad player, at best....

I can't believe they let him go for that.

mnjamie
03-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I would have to agree. An excellent value pick-up. I don't know about everyone else, but I am REALLY impressed by the vikings front office work as of late. Not just picking up f/a, but finding out the excellent deals they are making to keep our salary cap to the point where we are able to upgrade and fill holes on the team. SKOL Vikings to the front office!!!
:naka: .... " I cut the CHEESE!! The Vikings SMOKED the CHEESE HEADS !!!

sitandbehitski
03-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Even if he's Biekert all over again (which some guys think it is) it'd still be good, biekert was a good player.

viks_fan21
03-19-2005, 08:07 PM
when did this happen, was it just a 7th rounder for him, straight up? Will he start.

sitandbehitski
03-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes and yes.

snowinapril
03-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I thought Biekert did well for being near retirement when he got to Minny.

Cowart will be fine.

muchluv4smoot
03-19-2005, 09:18 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I thought Biekert did well for being near retirement when he got to Minny.

Cowart will be fine.

Cowart has also been more productive in his career than biekert had. Cowart always gets over 100 tackles. I love this move, but it sucks that we gave up on EJ so quickly. Oh well, cowart will definitely help out our D. He played WILL and played it well, so I think he should help a lot on the pass coverage part too, if he can play WILL good.

predator vike
03-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Biekert, as old as he was, was the best player on the Vikings defense when they picked him up. He joined just before the season, and was still dominant over all the other defensive players. A knowledgable veteren like Cowart can only help the Vikes.

I don't expect him to play a lot, but added depth will help.

GO VIKES :!: :!: :!:

Caine
03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Biekert, when we picked him up, solidified our Linebacker corps. Hell, he solidified our entire Defense. I was sorry to see him retire.

Cowart, if he can do the same, will be the steal of the year. A 7th rounder for a starting Mike Backer?!?!?! That's friggin FANTASTIC.

As for EJ, aside from missing lane assignments, not being able to cover anyone, and basically taking himself out of every play, what has he done wrong......oh....wait....stupid question. He has the POTENTIAL, but hasn't put it into play yet. Once he does, he'll be excellent...hopefully, Cowart will help bring that out in him.

I really like this move.

That said, I have to ask, "Where has THIS front Office been for the past FOUR YEARS!!!!!"

Caine

NeoVikesTX
03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

All that y'all gave up was a 7th round pick! That's a practice squad player, at best....

They have Jonathan Vilma at MLB now. He played phenomenal last season as a rookie. That is their future, Sam Cowart will do nothing but sit on the bench unless Vilma were to get injured.

However, their loss is our gain. :salute:

VKG4LFE
03-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm pumped about this! I think he will be another Greg Biekert, leadership wise and better on the field! Another great move!

misteralay
03-20-2005, 01:35 PM
JUST A SEVENTH ROUND PICK!!??? that pick could be terrell davis!

AngloVike
03-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Good points MN_Jet_Fan and hope the comment about the leadership turns out to be true.
Whats the general feeling amongst Jets fans with him going, or has the emergence of Vilma made Cowart a forgotten man ?

IdahoViking
03-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Cowart was a great pick up by the Vikes, before injury and Jonathan Vilma, he was the Jets best defensive player. He just turned 30 and if he stays healty he will be a monster for the Vikings

Ya heard!

MN_Jet_Fan
03-20-2005, 09:34 PM
We Jet fans believe it's Vilma's team now. He's the future of our D (I HOPE!)

"AngloVike" wrote:

Good points MN_Jet_Fan and hope the comment about the leadership turns out to be true.
Whats the general feeling amongst Jets fans with him going, or has the emergence of Vilma made Cowart a forgotten man ?

whackthepack
03-21-2005, 08:36 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

And the best part is! If Cowart gets hurt in training camp or does not make the team, the Jets have to give us there 7th round pick next year!

That is a hell of a deal! I really like Rob Bruzenski (I think I buchered his name)!

Vikes
03-21-2005, 08:41 AM
I dont know much about this guy but is he a good player when he is healthy?

Del Rio
03-21-2005, 08:51 AM
EJ lead the team in tackles.
He was the only one worth starting from last year. Hopefully this will motivate him and help him grow into what he can be. He has a nose for the ball and can get where he needs to be.

I suspect you will see EJ starting at some point of the season.

Webby
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

I dont know much about this guy but is he a good player when he is healthy?

judging by the comments in this thread, I would suppose so. Note the Jets fan saying he was the heart of their defense.

cajunvike
03-21-2005, 09:12 AM
"misteralay" wrote:

1. Just what we need...ANOTHER running back!

2. The odds that we would draft a Terrell Davis-type player in the seventh round are pretty slim...not non-existant...but pretty slim.

3. That pick could also be the next Sam Cowart...oh, wait...we already have the original!

Bottom line is that we couldn't draft the experience that Cowart brings to our YOUNG defense...ANY 7th round pick could never bring that to our defense. GREAT PICKUP...GREAT VALUE!

jackyl
03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
"misteralay" wrote:

True, but realistically it'd be Keenan Howry or Jeff Dugan.

Del Rio
03-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Cowart was picked up by the Jets from the Bills. His last year with the Bills he Tore his Achilles Tendon and spent all year rehabing it. The Jets were cautious but went ahead and signed him with some of the same apprehension we seem to have had.

His first two years with the Jets he recorded 127 and 140 tackles.

He suffered a serious sprained knee and now we get him. He should be good for a few more years.