PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need a RB?



snakethejake83
03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
I am honestly wondering why I keep reading people say that we need to "draft a RB" or trade for Edge/Alexander.

Ask yourself this question. Which running back in our system in the last basically 10 years hasnt done well? Hell Leroy Hoard was able to pick up the slack in 99 when Smith went down. We have a great offensive line every year basically because Tice has done a good job in that department. We led the NFL in rushing just two years ago.

IT DOESNT matter which running back we have back there. They are going to do well. Do we need to pick one back to stay back there? Yes. Tice already said he was going to. RB is the deepest part of our team and you want to draft another one. You claim that we didnt have a running game last year but remember, the best blocking FB in the league was basically injured last year, and we had a rookie starting at Tackle along with Birk out for a bit.

I just dont understand why people want to draft someone to add to our position with the most depth, which we are still VERY young at. MM is gonna be in his 2nd year, and onterrio in his 3rd. Bennett is to injury prone and needs to get traded. We also have moe williams back there who is a great 3rd down back.

After the signing of Sam, It points to one position to draft. WR. Marcus Robinson is getting older. Basically Burleson is our only proven one that can play. We need to draft a WR that can make plays THIS YEAR and not a Running back who will sit on the bench.

Remember, this is just MY opinion. Please pick it apart, i love to debate.

Burley81
03-19-2005, 12:01 AM
"snakethejake83" wrote:

I am honestly wondering why I keep reading people say that we need to "draft a RB" or trade for Edge/Alexander.

Ask yourself this question. Which running back in our system in the last basically 10 years hasnt done well? Hell Leroy Hoard was able to pick up the slack in 99 when Smith went down. We have a great offensive line every year basically because Tice has done a good job in that department. We led the NFL in rushing just two years ago.

IT DOESNT matter which running back we have back there. They are going to do well. Do we need to pick one back to stay back there? Yes. Tice already said he was going to. RB is the deepest part of our team and you want to draft another one. You claim that we didnt have a running game last year but remember, the best blocking FB in the league was basically injured last year, and we had a rookie starting at Tackle along with Birk out for a bit.

I just dont understand why people want to draft someone to add to our position with the most depth, which we are still VERY young at. MM is gonna be in his 2nd year, and onterrio in his 3rd. Bennett is to injury prone and needs to get traded. We also have moe williams back there who is a great 3rd down back.

After the signing of Sam, It points to one position to draft. WR. Marcus Robinson is getting older. Basically Burleson is our only proven one that can play. We need to draft a WR that can make plays THIS YEAR and not a Running back who will sit on the bench.

Remember, this is just MY opinion. Please pick it apart, i love to debate.Your right, we dont need a RB. The reason why our ground game sucks is because Tice is stupid enough to not start MM. MM had our only 100-yd games this year, but Tice said "he needs to carve a role for himself". If we start MM next year, our ground game will be beast.

briboy75
03-19-2005, 01:15 AM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

"snakethejake83" wrote:

I am honestly wondering why I keep reading people say that we need to "draft a RB" or trade for Edge/Alexander.

Ask yourself this question. Which running back in our system in the last basically 10 years hasnt done well? Hell Leroy Hoard was able to pick up the slack in 99 when Smith went down. We have a great offensive line every year basically because Tice has done a good job in that department. We led the NFL in rushing just two years ago.

IT DOESNT matter which running back we have back there. They are going to do well. Do we need to pick one back to stay back there? Yes. Tice already said he was going to. RB is the deepest part of our team and you want to draft another one. You claim that we didnt have a running game last year but remember, the best blocking FB in the league was basically injured last year, and we had a rookie starting at Tackle along with Birk out for a bit.

I just dont understand why people want to draft someone to add to our position with the most depth, which we are still VERY young at. MM is gonna be in his 2nd year, and onterrio in his 3rd. Bennett is to injury prone and needs to get traded. We also have moe williams back there who is a great 3rd down back.

After the signing of Sam, It points to one position to draft. WR. Marcus Robinson is getting older. Basically Burleson is our only proven one that can play. We need to draft a WR that can make plays THIS YEAR and not a Running back who will sit on the bench.

Remember, this is just MY opinion. Please pick it apart, i love to debate.Your right, we dont need a RB. The reason why our ground game sucks is because Tice is stupid enough to not start MM. MM had our only 100-yd games this year, but Tice said "he needs to carve a role for himself". If we start MM next year, our ground game will be beast.

All of our backs have question marks:
Bennett : does seem durable
Smith: one puff away from a year long suspension
Moe: hes getting older
Moore: I heard on kfan that Tice was disapointed in him because he didnt have much of a drive to return after the injury.

ADubya26
03-19-2005, 01:26 AM
No Moss=Much tougher to run the ball

Almost any RB looks good when they have a pretty good O line like we do and when they are only facing 7 men in the box.

The only RB that I think would be up to the challenge would be Onterrio, and thats not even known really. Also, as briboy mentioned, he is on the brink of pulling a Ricky.

If we got Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson, I think we would finally see that the RBs we have now are pretty average.

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 01:31 AM
thats crazy in the nfl the o line is half the reason for a rb's success sure they have to be quick and get thru the whole and break tackels but the line makes the back just look at the denver broncos backs over the past how many years guys uve never heard of rush for bunches every year the vikes are fine for this yaer they dont need a rb that is crazyness but i wouldnt put it past the vikings to take one and

alberta_vike
03-19-2005, 01:39 AM
No Moss=Much tougher to run the ball

I agree 100% with this. With Moss gone, our offense is most likely gonna face 8 guys in the box the majority of the time. When Moss was on the field, you couldn't do that. I wouldn't mind a RB with the #7 pick, but only if both Edwards and Williams are gone. Also, just wondering who else out there hasn't given up on Bennett yet. I think he can be a really good back, if he can stay healthy, which I think he will this season.

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 01:47 AM
if u think bennett will be healthy then why would u want them to draft another back they have 4 already

alberta_vike
03-19-2005, 01:55 AM
I said I wouldn't mind it, if Williams and Edwards were gone. Who else would you have them take at #7. Maybe Williamson, but that is a bit of a reach. I would like to have Derrick Johnson on the team but I doubt that will happen based on the Vikes getting Harris and Cowart. There's no guards even close too good enough to go that high. Maybe a DE, but even with that I don't think any of the top players are deserving of the #7. I guess that if this were to happen, the best thing to do would be to trade down. However, if they took a RB, I wouldn't mind it.

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 02:01 AM
i guess your right the pry will draft a rb i can remember the last time the vikings didnt sign or draft a rb in the off season

cc21
03-19-2005, 02:04 AM
we dont need to draft a runningback, we are stacked with them

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 02:06 AM
i AGREE

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 02:07 AM
and coach tice just said they dont have any of the backs on the trading block so i highly doubt even tho i can see it happening with the vikes management that thay draft a rb

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 02:09 AM
how about micheal bennett and a second round pick to the cardnals for boldin

spydertl79
03-19-2005, 02:17 AM
If you draft a RB please trade Moore to Miami, I would want Smith but the fins don't need ANOTHER pothead. http://www.purplepride.org/skol/viewtopic.php?p=124765#124765

snakethejake83
03-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Ive seen a couple good points. I

Teams are going to throw 8 men in the box... but guess what. If Braylon, or Mike end up panning out they wont be able to do that. I just done see how you think Cedric benson can run w/ 8 in the box any better than Onterrio could. Onterrio has proven he CAN get the job done. I love Cedric (played against him in high school when he was down at Midland Lee down in texas, we got destroyed btw...) I just dont see why we would draft someone in our teams strongest position.

Something I love about our offense though is we show many different looks. From single back, to I, to 3 receiver sets like back in 98. You cant really have 8 men in the box with 3 receivers.

*IF* we get mike or braylon, I can see them going single coverage on the other side of the field of Nate and being able to beat that number 2 corner. If we can get that to pan out, they will have to go back to 7 in the box w/ two safeties and thats when Our running game with shine with Jimmy K at the lead. Its all about IF's though, and thats what sucks.

I honestly think Onterrio is the way to go. Yes, he has two Possesions. Yes, he has a shaky past. Guess what... if he messes up we still have Bennett, and WHEN he gets injured, we can always go to MM. Ohh wait, forgot to mention our running back we had in 03' that helped us start 6-0. Does anybody remember when Moe was our feature back? 6-0...

We have the running backs... lets get the receiver that has the potential to be a #1. We have great success in the draft getting runningbacks in the later rounds. This draft is way deep in RB talent.

UTVikfan
03-19-2005, 06:18 AM
What about when O. Smith gets injured like he did last year? What about when MM gets injured like he did last year, for that matter, Moe did too. Hmmm. Yep, outta all our backs that got injured, its Bennett that is injury prone. They can put 12 people in the box for all I care. I bet Pep has a BALL with that. Even with no Moss, they can still pass, especially when the defense wants them to. That will all work its self out. Unless we pass 75% of the time.

snakethejake83
03-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Injuries are part of the game, look at Carolina. The odds of all of our running backs getting injured at one time is not that great. Its still by far our deepest position on the team. Bar none. Hell take one of the four out and its still our deepest position. They have great talent yes... but you have to remember, its the offensive line year in and year out that is really getting those people their yards.

TripB77
03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
We don't need to draft a RB, not this year, not next year. We are going to have one back running this year, I want it to be Mewelde, smith is a good runner but his off the field pastimes might catch up on him. All players will get injured during the course of a season, if we drafted a RB he would get injured too, we cant make the case that because of injuries we need to draft a RB. Keep what we have and work with it. We can only get better.

ndakvikefan
03-19-2005, 09:19 AM
This is not college football. If a team puts 8 men in the box then our offense will just have to run a 4 reciever set, and run from that. That pretty much takes care of that. Or if they want to put 8 in the box then Wiggens will just have to get behind the safety that is up and get a couple 20 yard catches and that will take care of that 8th man in the box.

Norseman1775
03-19-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't think our RB situation is much different than our WR situation. Both positions have solid players and and have good depth but no elite players. I feel real comfortable saying that Daunte will make the WRs look better than they are, and also feel comfortable saying that our O-line and Kleinsasser will make our RBs look better than they are. I think the main reason everyone believes we need an explosive WR is because we had Randy Moss all these years. If we would have just traded Ladanian Thomlinson to the Raiders everyone would be expecting us to draft one of the big three RBs. Personally I hope we get DJ at #7, but RBs that are worth being picked in the top 10 picks of the draft don't come along often (LT was the last one back in 01') and this year there are 3. I have never seen that kind of RB in a Vikings uniform. We don't have a huge need at RB, but I certainly won't shead any tears if we end up with any of the big 3 RBs.

Norseman1775
03-19-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't think our RB situation is much different than our WR situation. Both positions have solid players and and have good depth but no elite players. I feel real comfortable saying that Daunte will make the WRs look better than they are, and also feel comfortable saying that our O-line and Kleinsasser will make our RBs look better than they are. I think the main reason everyone believes we need an explosive WR is because we had Randy Moss all these years. If we would have just traded Ladanian Thomlinson to the Raiders everyone would be expecting us to draft one of the big three RBs. Personally I hope we get DJ at #7, but RBs that are worth being picked in the top 10 picks of the draft don't come along often (LT was the last one back in 01') and this year there are 3. I have never seen that kind of RB in a Vikings uniform. We don't have a huge need at RB, but I certainly won't shead any tears if we end up with any of the big 3 RBs.

Burley81
03-19-2005, 10:30 AM
#7-DJ

#18- Troy Williamson

Norseman1775
03-19-2005, 10:39 AM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

#7-DJ

#18- Troy Williamson


That would be great, but I don't think Williamson will be there at #18. He seems to be moving up the draft boards pretty quickly.

alberta_vike
03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
#7-DJ

#18- Troy Williamson

I really don't think you can count on either one of those players being there at those times, especially Williamson.

norzeman74
03-19-2005, 12:31 PM
The problem is that MWill, BEd, and DJ will all be gone by 7. Those three meet are 2 most pressing needs. Therfefore the options are taking the BPA=Benson, trading up to get one of the three, or trading down to get better value for TWilliamson, MCalyton, EJames, DCody, TDavis.

collegeguyjeff
03-19-2005, 02:37 PM
"givemossthetoss" wrote:

"snakethejake83" wrote:

I am honestly wondering why I keep reading people say that we need to "draft a RB" or trade for Edge/Alexander.

Ask yourself this question. Which running back in our system in the last basically 10 years hasnt done well? Hell Leroy Hoard was able to pick up the slack in 99 when Smith went down. We have a great offensive line every year basically because Tice has done a good job in that department. We led the NFL in rushing just two years ago.

IT DOESNT matter which running back we have back there. They are going to do well. Do we need to pick one back to stay back there? Yes. Tice already said he was going to. RB is the deepest part of our team and you want to draft another one. You claim that we didnt have a running game last year but remember, the best blocking FB in the league was basically injured last year, and we had a rookie starting at Tackle along with Birk out for a bit.

I just dont understand why people want to draft someone to add to our position with the most depth, which we are still VERY young at. MM is gonna be in his 2nd year, and onterrio in his 3rd. Bennett is to injury prone and needs to get traded. We also have moe williams back there who is a great 3rd down back.

After the signing of Sam, It points to one position to draft. WR. Marcus Robinson is getting older. Basically Burleson is our only proven one that can play. We need to draft a WR that can make plays THIS YEAR and not a Running back who will sit on the bench.

Remember, this is just MY opinion. Please pick it apart, i love to debate.Your right, we dont need a RB. The reason why our ground game sucks is because Tice is stupid enough to not start MM. MM had our only 100-yd games this year, but Tice said "he needs to carve a role for himself". If we start MM next year, our ground game will be beast.

i agree moore is a lil monster, he can catch, he is quick, and i love how i saw him hiding behind our other players while they block then you see moore dash for the open field at the right time. he is the best running back on our team.

collegeguyjeff
03-19-2005, 07:16 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

No Moss=Much tougher to run the ball

Almost any RB looks good when they have a pretty good O line like we do and when they are only facing 7 men in the box.

The only RB that I think would be up to the challenge would be Onterrio, and thats not even known really. Also, as briboy mentioned, he is on the brink of pulling a Ricky.

If we got Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson, I think we would finally see that the RBs we have now are pretty average.

so what your trying to say is that derrick alexander, and jamal lewis, and curtis martin all have a randy moss on their team? please explain i can't understand how this could be true.

sitandbehitski
03-19-2005, 08:18 PM
You think Barry Sanders had a good line and a WR threat to take pressure off him?

Hold your horses, I do agree we'll so more guys against the run then we had in previous years with moss, but it isn't going to be 8 men in the box on every play like you seem to think it is.

We still have the 2nd best QB in the league, a 70+ catches tight end (wiggins) a 1000+ yard wr (burleson) the best blocking TE in the league (kleinsasser) and a big, physical Offensive Line. We'll be fine in both the run game and the pass game.

I think we should just go with the BPA (best player available) option again,whether it be Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Derrick Johnson, or one of the 3 running backs.

With a better D we can afford to have a less effective Offense anyway.

viks_fan21
03-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Everyone says Tice does such a bad job, if that is true, why would we fire him? We could just move him back to OLine coach and continue the tradition of dominent Vikings OLine.

Caine
03-20-2005, 12:30 AM
My 2 cents:

We don't need another RB. We're solid there. 3/4 of those guys could start almost anywhere else, and Moe is so solid that he earns his roster spot. Drafting a stud RB would deviate from our current (correct) plan.

We don't really need a Prime-Time receiver to replace Moss either. We need a core of stable, solid, dependable receivers...we have that.

Packer fans will tell you - if you ask them nicely - that the best thing Sterling Sharpe did for Favre was to RETIRE. Sharpe was a great Receiver, but his absence forced Favre to be better. Moss' absence will force Culpepper to be better.

For the first time, the "O" is being built around Daunte. His arm, his wheels, his head. There is no safety net (Moss), there is no one else to lean on (i.e. use as a crutch). This is where Culpepper gets to step up and PROVE he's as good as we say he is.

Our PRESSING needs have been addressed. We have a solid Defensive nucleus now - for the first time in YEARS. Another LB or D-Lineman would be nice, but we're looking good right now...on paper. The TT signing added another solid receiver to our list of solid receivers.

What we need now is for the team to gell. Draft the BEST AVAILABLE at your pick...regardless of position. We are in a good place now, we have WANTS and not NEEDS. That gives us a LOT of bargaining ability on draft day, and means that we can only improve our team with every pick...we're not depending upon some Rookie to save our bacon/alter our destiny.

We're on the right track...let's hope the wheels stay ON this time.

Caine