PDA

View Full Version : Lets Be Realistic

insomniac
03-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Do you think they really have a shot at the Super Bowl?

finnishvikingsfan
03-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I think we have a SHOT at making the super bowl last year we were in most of the games late in 4th quarter and now we have what looks like an a lot better defense.

vikesgirl36
03-18-2005, 01:41 AM
A diehard and dedicated I say...Hell ya!!

Marsh
03-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Absolutely they have a shot. But, being a Viking fan, I know not to get the hopes too high. I think thats a lesson we've all learned somewhere along the line.

dauntefan
03-18-2005, 02:45 AM
I say that they have had the talent to do it for years. I think the missing piece is replacing Tice. He's had way too much talent on his team to be below .500

hawaiianvike21
03-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Anyobody and everybody has a shot right now. Remember were undefeated right now. :lol:

Realistically i want to say we an average chance chance. I say average since tice is our coach :shock: and this defense has to prove it can be a top 10 defense as well as our offense continuing to be tops without moss.

5 games aint enough, i want to see a whole season before i can say were just as good without moss.

eclipse_2303
03-18-2005, 04:00 AM
To honestly answer your question. No. Playoffs, yes. We don't have chemistry yet. Give it a couple years & we will be going 12-4 & 13-3 & going to the super bowl.

UTVikfan
03-18-2005, 04:34 AM
That was strange. Before I opened this, I had thought, realistic =pessimistic, but this thread wasn't at all. We will have to see how the chemistry goes, a whole lotta new people all at once. I vote no on the Tice bashing, he does good things, imo. We are getting close, though, and Tice is a big part of that. Like the chargers and steelers did last year, we could come outta the gates, really well, and I think we will. No one in their right mind woulda picked either of those two teams to even make the play-offs, let alone the Steelers record. We will see I guess.

NavyVik
03-18-2005, 04:40 AM
I say that the NFC Championship game is a real possibility. Team chemistry and better Tice decisions is what it will all come down too. We are definitly improved from last year.

TheAnimal93
03-18-2005, 06:22 AM
I would say right now that we would have to be one of the favorites to go deep in the playoffs. Of course that is subject to change mid-way through the season. When do we play the Giants?

ultravikingfan
03-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Yes. I think we have a shot. But, realistically I feel that our best shot will the next year.

Del Rio
03-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes we have a shot.

The NFC is a mess it was last year and it will be again. It felt like the eastern Conference in the NBA it was a joke.

The key for us to win it this year is INJURIES. Lets not have any major ones. :D

Realistically yes we have a great shot at going all the way. Chemistry will be built in the pre-season. The majority of our team is the same the o-line is the same. Our rooks had a bumpy year and they are better prepared for the season. The new players will light a fire I am sure.

Gonna be a great show this year.

mark
03-18-2005, 07:53 AM
We were 2 wins away from the super bowl last year.we lost moss that takes away about 3 or 4 wins we got harris smoot will,sharper,taylor and well have a good draft so i think thats worth about 5 wins so well make it there and beat the ravens. :scratch:

mark
03-18-2005, 07:55 AM
the games we lost last year 34-31 without moss will now be 31-20 wins

ElBarto
03-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Right now we have as much as a chance of winning the SuperBowl as probably a dozen other teams. My realistic aim for next season is to get to the championship game and show signs of significant improvement.

As long as we get better each year I'll be happy, there's no rush for us to win it all straight away, we have a young roster that can only get better in time. :salute:

ultravikingfan
03-18-2005, 08:07 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

The NFC is a mess it was last year and it will be again. It felt like the eastern Conference in the NBA it was a joke.

But the NBA Eastern Conference won the NBA title.

Del Rio
03-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Indeed.

But the Eastern Conference only had a handful of teams at or above .500 the west had a lot more, just like they usually do.

The Afc tore the Nfc up last year :( Teams with what would have been great records in the Afc sat it out while mediocre teams in the NFC played in the playoffs.

I think we have a great chance.

sitandbehitski
03-18-2005, 09:23 AM
If the NFC sucks donkey balls again as long as we beat the eagles (and the F$#%ing Giants) we can easily be in the Superbowl.

Winning it's another matter.

cajunvike
03-18-2005, 09:27 AM
All depends on how well the D plays...if they are top 10 or so, we could win it all...without a better than average D, we won't even have a chance...history doesn't lie!!!

snowinapril
03-18-2005, 01:02 PM
"mark" wrote:

the games we lost last year 34-31 without moss will now be 31-20 wins

Without Moss, I think we will be getting more than one FG per game. Maybe more like 27-20 or 30-20 or better yet with the D, 27-16.

This is a good thread!

I think that the one thing that will complete this puzzle not to get to the SB but to get to the playoffs. What I mean is we need consistancy through out the year. Tice needs to be consistant, his decision need to be consistant and the players play needs to be consistant. The Piece that is missing right now is a KICKER. We must have someone we can count on. The K has to make 40-50 fg. We have to realize we may not have the luxury on offense that we had when we had Moss. I think that the O and the D will make Tice's job easier. But the Special Teams and especially the Field Goal Kicker will have to play better. When the coach knows what to expect from them that makes his job a lot easier. When the coach knows that when the O gets to the 35 yard line he can kick it without much worry, that makes his job easier. Less to worry about easier to concentrate on the game decisions.

I have no idea what our K and P will bring us this year but we will be utilizing field position this year. We need to get the most out of these to posisition.

Point related to the thread is that we can make the SB if we can be more consistant through out the year. We can content! We are like the AFC was before 5 years ago. It was wide open. Actually, it could be a change of gaurd in the AFC this year to.

WBLVikeBabe
03-18-2005, 07:06 PM
they better make it sometime in my lifetime.

grpape
03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Just like Del Rio stated, barring any major injuries, I think we have a good chance. I definatly agree with Snowinapril, the kicking game is a big problem! I think that it may even be, if not the biggest concern for us right now. Of course, if all of you don't mind Anderson lining up for a chip-shot again with the season on the line! God, it just hurts thinking about it.

midgensa
03-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Do we have a SHOT at the Super Bowl, ABSOLUTELY!! I would have to say any of the top 10 teams in the league go into it with a shot, and we have to be considered a top 10 team right now.

fourdoorchevelle
03-18-2005, 09:30 PM
i think that our offence even mossless is top three in nfc ( eagles , rams) .what has been holding us back is our defence . well not any more. that's 6 new starters on defence in the second year of cottrell's scheme . and as stated earlier nfc only has eagles ( poss falcons ) the rest is hit and miss. 8-8 was playoffs last year in nfc. atleast nfc championship game

nextvikingsstar
03-18-2005, 09:36 PM
it wont be top 3 but it will be good enough to get us by culpepper will get it done he will make it work and we have all the backs we need hopefully we trade and get and even better spot where we can get williams and then and only then will they have a shot at the top 3 offense in teh league

fourdoorchevelle
03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
look for daunte to keep rolling! with the shut down defence were building that equals more offencive time and more stats unless we go total ball control. i don't think the stats will slip all that much. don't forget we avgd 23 point a game with out moss. now our game plan won't completely revolve around him. we'll gameplan for this

midgensa
03-18-2005, 09:51 PM
"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:

i think that our offence even mossless is top three ( eagles , rams) .what has been holding us back is our defence . well not any more. that's 6 new starters on defence in the second year of cottrell's scheme . and as stated earlier nfc only has eagles ( poss falcons ) the rest is hit and miss. 8-8 was playoffs last year in nfc

I'm guessing you mean top three in the conference?

fourdoorchevelle
03-18-2005, 09:53 PM
i stand (and edit) corrected

coreyd
03-18-2005, 09:56 PM
(Read Sig)

Paulbedy59
03-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Lets just pray that we don,t have to play the Giants by some fluke in the playoffs.Those guys have a really good mind f#$% going with us right now. :salute:

LosAngelis
03-19-2005, 07:12 PM
You had three things stopping you from making the Super Bowl.

1) Randy Moss
2) Red's budget
3) Mike Tice

Cross out #1, #2 looks to be done, too.

#3 is all that's preventing you from getting there.

ADubya26
03-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I dont think we are good enough to win a Superbowl yet. As far as players go, maybe, but championships have championship coaches and do all the little things well.

We have a good base and maybe we will make it to the bowl or the NFC Championship game, but do you really see Tice coaching us to victory or Morten Anderson/Jose Cortez/Aaron Elling and Co. kicking the game winner?

We're almost there, but not yet.

cajunvike
03-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Picture me rollin'!

Caine
03-19-2005, 11:42 PM
"Paulbedy59" wrote:

Lets just pray that we don,t have to play the Giants by some fluke in the playoffs.Those guys have a really good mind f#$% going with us right now. :salute:

Bring 'em on. I'd LOVE to show Eli Manning to be the bust I suspect he'll be.

Caine

predator vike
03-20-2005, 12:44 AM
I am in the same boat as any fan that has had their expectations dashed. Everyone thought we had a good team before last season, and I like many other fans thought that our goal to win the division was very MODEST. We ended up not even doing that, although we were vindicated by downing the pukers (lol) in the playoffs.

Winning the division would be a great accomplishment this year, even as good as it seems we are getting. Doing that can spring board us to a superbowl appearence.

-THE PACKERS' DOWNFALL HAS BEGUN

Skyliner
03-20-2005, 12:45 AM
The pieces do seem to be falling into place and still a long off-season left to become more dominant. The talent is there. All that’s left is for them to work for it. Forget records and all that stuff. There is no substitute for working hard each day of practice and getting better.

snowinapril
03-20-2005, 12:49 AM
"predator vike" wrote:

I am in the same boat as any fan that has had their expectations dashed. Everyone thought we had a good team before last season, and I like many other fans thought that our goal to win the division was very MODEST. We ended up not even doing that, although we were vindicated by downing the pukers (lol) in the playoffs.

Winning the division would be a great accomplishment this year, even as good as it seems we are getting. Doing that can spring board us to a superbowl appearence.

-THE PACKERS' DOWNFALL HAS BEGUN

Yes that would be a big confidence builder, to win the Division.

Yes it might be a catapult of sorts.