PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations getting out of hand?

03-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Can't these abbreviations be some what obvious so people can figure out what they mean? I mean...
Nburl = Burleson, thats fine
MB = Bennet... okay

BUt recently I saw a bunch of odd ones... like how is anyone suppose to figure out SOD means O Smith? :scratch:

finnishvikingsfan
03-17-2005, 10:04 PM
I know what you mean. :salute:

ChiTownVike
03-17-2005, 10:07 PM
I dont get that SOD one either it was in the fins trade could someone please help us out?? :salute: :salute:

finnishvikingsfan
03-17-2005, 10:09 PM
When Ontterio Smith was drafted he dubbed himself as the steal of the draft which translates to SOD.

Webby
03-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I prefer English as well. Gibberish is not well received...don't make people work to understand your post. They will quickly learn to ignore them. Use English as if it were your first language...you will immediately see a night and day difference in reception from people.

Its just respect for everyone else because we want to read what you have to say, because that's what this forum is all about...communication and sharing in the glory of the Vikings!!

ultravikingfan
03-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Sometimes its as if some people are using this as a keyboard:

http://www.rpg2knet.com/wtf/newb_keyboard.jpg

vikes09
03-18-2005, 05:27 PM
doesnt it mean steal of the draft?

sitandbehitski
03-18-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah, it does. OMG-ROFL-LMAO-IMO-WTF-311|t3 |-|4><095

:D

ultravikingfan
03-18-2005, 05:35 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

doesnt it mean steal of the draft?

Look up 3 threads. :lol:

vikes09
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
:oops:

dopenose420
03-18-2005, 05:51 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Sometimes its as if some people are using this as a keyboard:

http://www.rpg2knet.com/wtf/newb_keyboard.jpg

that keyboard is 1337

cc21
03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
SOD? how is that onterrio?

ultravikingfan
03-19-2005, 08:43 AM
"coreychavous21" wrote:

SOD? how is that onterrio?

Doesn't anybody read the entire thread? 4th post down:

"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

When Ontterio Smith was drafted he dubbed himself as the steal of the draft which translates to SOD.

kramer9guy
03-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Abbreviations aside, what I do find funny is the sports version of pig latin alot of people use when naming certain players:

MRob, BWill, etc...

The funny thing is that it can only be used for certain names because it sounds really stupid for others:

DDixo, CChav, etc...

Just an observation.

UTVikfan
03-20-2005, 02:21 AM
If some fool, for instance me, were in a group of doctors, and they were talking about some type of ailment, following this theory, they should talk like laymen? The doctors would be unable to communicate in that fashion. Acronyms serve a purpose. SOD is an acronym and a nickname. It is not an abbreviation. Anyone (notice the above question was answered by 4 people in no time flat) who has been here any amount of time at all, knew what he meant. By asking he got the required information really fast. Does this mean I now need to spell out MLB, OLB, Sam, WR, RB? If someone is that not into football, is it necessary to drag everyone through all the verbiage required to educate them? Are nicknames any fun? Now should it be "Webmaster" not "Webbie" as before? Just in case someone has been introduced to the internet last week? And who is gonna explain "Webmaster" to them?

Articnv
03-20-2005, 02:32 AM
SOD = steal fo the draft or what we said during probation still on dupe

VKG4LFE
03-20-2005, 11:46 AM
For people that have been around here longer, most of us know what SOD means. Sorry we are not sensitive to newbies! We will try to work on it. lol

vikingsdiva
03-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Funny thing thogh Onterrio had SOD shaved into the back of his head during training camp. I do think he was a steal. How could no one else have picked him up before that??

Okay on abbreviations. I agree with both sides. I saw a reply to a thread using words like "wod" for would "4" for four and so on. It was a long message that took a bit more thought concentration than I am used to because I am not that intelligent. It's mere laziness when you use language you'd use on your cellphone if you text message due to lack of space.
That being said I am guilty of lmao and lol, as many are. Usually it's a gesture to lighten a mood to let people know that I mean no harm. But cracking down on it too much like abolishing mlb and ot as someone brought up a few posts back is too much....IMO

haha

Webby
03-20-2005, 06:15 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

If some fool, for instance me, were in a group of doctors, and they were talking about some type of ailment, following this theory, they should talk like laymen? The doctors would be unable to communicate in that fashion. Acronyms serve a purpose. SOD is an acronym and a nickname. It is not an abbreviation. Anyone (notice the above question was answered by 4 people in no time flat) who has been here any amount of time at all, knew what he meant. By asking he got the required information really fast. Does this mean I now need to spell out MLB, OLB, Sam, WR, RB? If someone is that not into football, is it necessary to drag everyone through all the verbiage required to educate them? Are nicknames any fun? Now should it be "Webmaster" not "Webbie" as before? Just in case someone has been introduced to the internet last week? And who is gonna explain "Webmaster" to them?

You mention acronyms specific to the sport. Fine. But there is no need to abbreviate every other word making most everything illegible. no wut I meen?

Of course, he only pointed one out to make his point clear. Excellent use of the language and communication skills. That you pick apart one obvious one (used, in fact, to communicate clearly) just shows that you likely didn't read it through and think about it before you posted. Point, set.

Fact remains: some people complain that they aren't getting a lot of responses, or don't feel "in". My point remains the same: don't make it hard for us to understand you or make us struggle to read your posts. Quite simple. Most of the people who complain suffer from the hacker-wannabe school of language. But then again, say what you will how you will. I'm just trying to point out in a large social dynamic how life works, do with it what you will.

cajunvike
03-22-2005, 09:41 AM
"vikingsdiva" wrote:

Funny thing thogh Onterrio had SOD shaved into the back of his head during training camp. I do think he was a steal. How could no one else have picked him up before that??

Okay on abbreviations. I agree with both sides. I saw a reply to a thread using words like "wod" for would "4" for four and so on. It was a long message that took a bit more thought concentration than I am used to because I am not that intelligent. It's mere laziness when you use language you'd use on your cellphone if you text message due to lack of space.
That being said I am guilty of lmao and lol, as many are. Usually it's a gesture to lighten a mood to let people know that I mean no harm. But cracking down on it too much like abolishing mlb and ot as someone brought up a few posts back is too much....IMO

haha

Are you trying to say that you are a DUMB BLONDE? Because that is simply not true...I think that you are much more intelligent than you give yourself credit for...the above post is just one example of your insightfulness! :D

cajunvike
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

"UTVikfan" wrote:

You mention acronyms specific to the sport. Fine. But there is no need to abbreviate every other word making most everything illegible. no wut I meen?

Of course, he only pointed one out to make his point clear. Excellent use of the language and communication skills. That you pick apart one obvious one (used, in fact, to communicate clearly) just shows that you likely didn't read it through and think about it before you posted. Point, set.

Fact remains: some people complain that they aren't getting a lot of responses, or don't feel "in". My point remains the same: don't make it hard for us to understand you or make us struggle to read your posts. Quite simple. Most of the people who complain suffer from the hacker-wannabe school of language. But then again, say what you will how you will. I'm just trying to point out in a large social dynamic how life works, do with it what you will.

Quite simple...if you want to fit in, then make sure that you FIT IN! If you want to be understood, then make sure that you are UNDERSTOOD! If you insist on talking gibberish, I hear that the monkeys at the National Zoo will love you. With that in mind, read the sig below.

Del Rio
03-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Abbreviations are a God send.

Leet speak is not, there is a difference.

What I love is when someone abbreviates something and the abbreviation is longer then the actual word they were trying to Abr.

PurpleAndy
03-22-2005, 09:56 AM
omg u r 2 l@m3 stbu plz stfu kthxbye

Del Rio
03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
"PurpleAndy" wrote:

omg u r 2 l@m3 stbu plz stfu kthxbye

Hi 2 joo. Die IRL thxbye

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/kidtalk.mspx

Webby
03-22-2005, 10:23 AM
fer chrissakes.

VKG4LFE
03-22-2005, 04:08 PM
"wow, you have derailed!!"

vikes09
03-22-2005, 04:33 PM
i cant believe i read that whole article del rio!!!! :shock:

Articnv
03-22-2005, 08:37 PM
so did i lol

JimFlyinsaucer
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
How about DSharp? Sounds like a musical note.

magicci
03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
lol dis is 2 dam funE

briboy75
03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
My favorite is "CC"

Corey Chavous, Cris Carter, Chis Claiborn. At least only one is currently on the roster.

Id rather see people spell some things out more too.

ultravikingfan
03-22-2005, 11:12 PM
I really do not have a problem with sports or football abbreviations.

CC, PAT, INT, C-Pep, etc.

or common net slang:

WTF, STFU, IMO, LOL, LMAO, etc.

Its the garbage that people drag in here from other sites that the majority of us have no clue what you are talking about. That crap needs to go.

If there is a football term (SOD) that you see alot, just ask. When I started I had no idea what it meant. But, after reading for awhile I found out.