PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Daunte get respect?

insomniac
03-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Daunte Culpepper gets no respect there are people on the espn message boards who think eli manning is better... i think eli is piss.... giant fans are the most ignorant people i have ever met.

vikes09
03-17-2005, 12:04 PM
well wouldnt you be frustrated and jealous of us if ELI FREAKING MANNING was your starting qb. i think id be scared out of my mind.

ultravikingfan
03-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Good post insomniac! Ya know what I say, screw 'em! They will all see win Pep leads us to the Super Bowl. They will be eating some major crow then! :salute:

finnishvikingsfan
03-17-2005, 12:08 PM
I find that mostly all the Minnesota teams dont get the respect they deserve.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-17-2005, 12:15 PM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

I agree. How can Johan Santana win a Cy Young "quietly". How can KG win the MVP and no one remembers it. How can Daunte throw for 40 TD's and fans on message boards think that Roethlisberger, Manning, and Rivers are better?

:scratch:

MN_Jet_Fan
03-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Culpepper has grown on me a lot since I moved here. I think its the whole "small market" mentality of the media. A suspect player in the large market (Eli Manning) get far morwe press than an elite player in a smaller market.

For the record, I think Pepper is top 5 easily in the NFL. I'd take him over pennington any day.

dbalke10
03-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Think of the last few years, did you ever think that Duante was the complete QB? Don't get me wrong. I think that he is now, but the expectations after his first pro bowl season were thru the roof. And he still had some learning to do. And you didn't know if it was Duante or Randy, since the majority of the big plays went his way. Finally we saw last year that with Randy down, Duante could indeed keep the team competitive, and he was the reason that the offense moved the ball. He will get his respect after this season, when there is no dropoff in the offensive production minus Randy.

VIKES_1181
03-17-2005, 12:19 PM
they just wish they had culpepper, they also wish they had a good reciever and a first round pick. we have good recievers and two first round picks, and this year we are going to beat there as*. i from new york and im gonna go to the game this better be the year we finially beat them up good. :bootyshake:

cajunvike
03-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Why doesn't Daunte get any respect, you ask? Because most of the NFL wants to give Randy all of the credit for the explosive Minnesota offense...after this year, Daunte will have proven that he can do it without Randy...and then he will get his due...especially after the Vikings win the Super Bowl!!!!

Del Rio
03-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Because people think he chokes in the big games. Because he fumbled ALOT.

This year without Moss there he will get his respect.

finnishvikingsfan
03-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I think a lot of teams will be suprised on how good Daunte really is.

GQVikesfan
03-17-2005, 12:43 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Because people think he chokes in the big games. Because he fumbled ALOT.

This year without Moss there he will get his respect.

Yep, this year he will get the respect that he deserves.

koolkev8
03-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Respect is earned not give... and daunte has earned his time and time again... I agree w/ MN Jet fan... The media pretty much controls what people thing!!!

Del Rio
03-17-2005, 02:23 PM
He has earned it to a point his poor play has also hurt it. I don't think it is a huge media conspiracy. He had a bad year he got benched he had tons of fumbles and ints that year. He plays for a team that is always underachieving.

He lacked leadership
He lacked consistancy
He lacked judgment
He lacked a lot of things because he is young

Last year he broke out IMO he was making great decisions we had a come back from behind win his stats were amazing. I think this year determines how he will be viewed.

I personally think he is top 3 in the NFL. I can see why others don't though. It's just my opinion though. It could very well be a media Minnesota hate thing.

ElBarto
03-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Who cares what anyone else thinks, if they want Eli they can have him :!:

I hope they continue to doubt Daunte and call us chokers and rip into Tice and tell us we're lost without Moss.......it's just gonna make it that much sweeter when we stick it to 'em all next February :salute:

Then we can sit back and laugh as we watch everyone desperately jumping on the bandwaggon 8)

vikes09
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
im not so sure i want bandwagoners. then everyone is going to start wearing the purple and gold!!! :salute:

ElBarto
03-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Don't worry bandwagoners disappear as quickly as they arrive.

vikes09
03-17-2005, 03:02 PM
if they stay on for a long time, than that must mean we were doing good!!!!

KY Vike
03-17-2005, 03:48 PM
yeah if we go to the superbowl, daute culpepper will have to be seen as just a good quarterback if not better than p.manning.

sitandbehitski
03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
The Colts choke just as much as the Vikings, at least we have some guys on D this year, the Colts have Dwight Freeny and NO ONE ELSE ON D!!! Didn't Eli have like a 30-something QB rating last year? And they think he's better than Daunte?! #$%@-tards.

ItalianStallion
03-17-2005, 04:10 PM
He doesn't get respect because we were 8-8 last year, have choked down the line the past two years and have only had 2 winning seasons with him as our QB. I'm not putting it on him, but when you don't win games the QB will not get respect.

vikes09
03-17-2005, 04:43 PM
its true italion. thats why mcnabb is so overated.

briboy75
03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't agree that Daunte doesn't get respect. Maybe his year was slightly overshadowed by Peytons, but I think most people who follow football believe Daunte is a very good QB. If they didn't, he wouldn't have gone to the pro bowl.... Same for Sanata, and KG....They must be getting "respect" or they wouldn't be cy young winner/mvp. Also people in a Giants board are going to think higher of there players then we do... thats how fans are... we do the same thing. Peoples opinons of Darren Shaper changed draumatically over the past week or so on vikings and packers boards.

THE_ANIMAL_06
03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
I for one would seriously take culpepper above any QB in the league right now and in the future he is goin to absolutly dominate i garuntee it. The one thing I herd you guys say earlier is how the media is goin to say we'll struggle and all that and I'm all w/ ya on how it will be that much greater when we win the super bowl except them annoying pricks on ESPN like SHAUN SALSBERRY (however u spell it) will all of a sudden start saying he knew it all along and completely go reverse on what ever he said through out the whole season.

Anyways go PEP

eclipse_2303
03-18-2005, 04:05 AM
"insomniac" wrote:

Daunte Culpepper gets no respect there are people on the espn message boards who think eli manning is better... i think eli is piss.... giant fans are the most ignorant people i have ever met.

The answer is Randy Moss. People think he did good because of Randy Moss plain & simple. They will find out this year he is great though. Not many people know but Culpepper did set the NCAA record for completion % in a season.

UTVikfan
03-18-2005, 04:24 AM
Perhaps people who never watch Vikings games underestimate him. From seeing what the media says, I would have to say he isn't underrated or not talked about at all. Did he win a superbowl? nah, 3 superbowls in 4 years? nah. Break Marino's record? No. Its no wonder other QB's get talked about too. Del Rio, you mentioned he got benched. I missed that, which game, which year? He is definitly top 3 QB in the league and from what I have read the media thinks so too. This reminds me of the 25 articles I have read on the net about how underrated Tom Brady is. He isn't. And 25 articles about him in 3 months certainly doesn't make him even more underrated.

Del Rio
03-18-2005, 07:07 AM
I believe it was the Giants I don't recall which year maybe someone can help me out on this. Or maybe I'm smoking something. Could have been 2002 when he managed to throw 23 interceptions and fumble the ball 23 times.

He has definately had his growing pains. And I think that is why he is as good as he is now. I also think that is why he is for the most part unprooven. He has to win the big games he has to stand out.

I'm looking for what happened exactly UT I will update this post when I get it.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
"insomniac" wrote:

part of the reason is he hasn't shown consistant mental toughness. Let's face it a few years ago, he was throwing picks like they were free beers to the defenses. He also has consistantly had fumble problems. Those picks and fumbles lose games, I don't care how many spectacular scrambling around plays he makes, and people ooooh and ahhh over them....if he keeps costing us games by his poor decision making he'll never get the respect he could get if he played more intelligently. Sometimes he just tries to do too much. He also doesn't seem to have the best pocket awareness either.

JimFlyinsaucer
03-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I don't know fellas. Daunte's played five games without Moss in his career. I'd be very worried about trying to put the offense on his shoulders. I hope that we do put a greater emphasis on running like we've said. I think we work best when we're not passing so much. I don't have any data to back me up, but it seems like every time Daunte throws for over 300 yds, we either lose, or it's real close.

viks_fan21
03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
How can Johan Santana win a Cy Young "quietly". How can KG win the MVP and no one remembers it. How can Daunte throw for 40 TD's and fans on message boards think that Roethlisberger, Manning, and Rivers are better?

I totally agree, but the real question is how can anyone even pur Eli and Daunte on the same level.

spydertl79
03-19-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm not a vikings fan and I know he is the 2nd best Qb in the NFL, a very solid passer with great size and running ability.

http://www.purplepride.org/skol/viewtopic.php?p=124765#124765

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 01:21 AM
i think he will be pushing for the number 1 spot even harder if manning loses edge but who knows if culpeper can get it done for a whole season with out moss i think so but we will see

smashmouth34
03-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Something tells me Daunte is going to get sacked alot more this year than ever. The safeties no longer have to cheat for randy. I see teams blitzing the hell out of him. When you couple that with a horrid o-line (with exception of burk) he may get injured.

JimFlyinsaucer
03-19-2005, 09:08 AM
"smashmouth34" wrote:

Something tells me Daunte is going to get sacked alot more this year than ever. The safeties no longer have to cheat for randy. I see teams blitzing the hell out of him. When you couple that with a horrid o-line (with exception of burk) he may get injured.Well, remember, the Vikes didn't have their whole line together for most of the season last year. Rosenthal was on IR after the second game, and of course Birk was lost for about 4 games.

vikez06
03-19-2005, 10:19 AM
I hate the mannings.. eli and peyton... ELI sucks balls horrible qb.. and peyton is just overrated dante is better than both of those 2

nextvikingsstar
03-19-2005, 11:08 AM
you can hate the mannings all you want but u have to respect peyton all hes done is excell the cat calls his own plays over 60 percent of the time he reads the d and calls the play hes a the qb and offensive cord and he puts in so much time to get his timing down with his recievers hes better then daunte at the position maybe not the better athlete but hes the better qb

eclipse_2303
03-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Think about this...Brett Favre for his career averages 2 turnovers a game...Culpepper averages less than that.

ultravikingfan
03-19-2005, 12:57 PM
"vikez06" wrote:

I hate the mannings.. eli and peyton... ELI sucks balls horrible qb.. and peyton is just overrated dante is better than both of those 2

I hate Eli for all the whining he did about playing for the Chargers. Had to get daddy involved! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sad/008.gif

vikez06
03-19-2005, 01:18 PM
"nextvikingsstar" wrote:

you can hate the mannings all you want but u have to respect peyton all hes done is excell the cat calls his own plays over 60 percent of the time he reads the d and calls the play hes a the qb and offensive cord and he puts in so much time to get his timing down with his recievers hes better then daunte at the position maybe not the better athlete but hes the better qb

i will hate the mannings... peyton has the best recievers and there always wide open.. i would like to see manning try to run from a LB it aint happenin.. DANTE IS BETTER

DemonicViking
03-19-2005, 01:23 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"vikez06" wrote:

I hate Eli for all the whining he did about playing for the Chargers. Had to get daddy involved! http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sad/008.gif

Considering how bad the Chargers were up until last year I think we might have been whining about it too, but look how it worked out for San Diego.. they didn't need him afterall.

DemonicViking
03-19-2005, 01:24 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"vikez06" wrote:

Considering how bad the Chargers were up until last year I think we might have been whining about it too if we were in that position, but look how it worked out for San Diego.. they didn't need him afterall.

collegeguyjeff
03-19-2005, 01:34 PM
cause pepper plays for the vikings

Anahiem_Vikings
03-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Daunte had a great year and was overshadowed by Payton Manning. The colts had a winning year and the Vikes were
8-8. That has probably more to do with it. Change a few points in the Packer games and daunte would have been dicussed more. Last year will be hard to duplicate.

miakurtzy07
03-30-2005, 08:04 PM
I think that a lot of people are just HOPING the Eli is a good QB because of Paytons great year. He's a quarterback by name only...now he has to prove it. And the road to do that is through the Purple People Eaters!

Ltrey33
03-30-2005, 08:35 PM
"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:

"smashmouth34" wrote:

Something tells me Daunte is going to get sacked alot more this year than ever. The safeties no longer have to cheat for randy. I see teams blitzing the hell out of him. When you couple that with a horrid o-line (with exception of burk) he may get injured.Well, remember, the Vikes didn't have their whole line together for most of the season last year. Rosenthal was on IR after the second game, and of course Birk was lost for about 4 games.

The Vikes line was patchwork last year. No Kleinsasser (who was invaluable as a blocker for the run game), no Birk for a while, no Rosenthal all year. They have had a very good O-line for a while...this year won't be any different. As far as them blitzing the hell out of daunte, I say bring it on, cuz any offensive coordinator with a brain (which Linehan didnt have) could counter that. Plus, not every team can blitz because they don't have the cover corners to stay out there. People think just because Moss is gone, the vikes have lost their punch, but they seemed to do fine with an offense that still revolved around Moss (which they wont have this year obviously) when Moss wasn't even in the lineup for a few games this year. The Vikes will be fine.

As far as Daunte not getting any respect, I believe he does deserve more than he gets. He'll be heralded as the best QB in the league if the Vikes go anywhere in the playoffs or (dare i say) the Super Bowl this year, and Manning fails to get it done again.

Ltrey33
03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
"miakurtzy07" wrote:

I think that a lot of people are just HOPING the Eli is a good QB because of Paytons great year. He's a quarterback by name only...now he has to prove it. And the road to do that is through the Purple People Eaters!

I agree with that 100%. I don't think Eli's stock would have been nearly as high coming out of college if he weren't Peyton's brother.

Mr Anderson
03-31-2005, 01:28 AM
He had great stats in college.

I watched an Ole miss at Mississippi State game one time, and he played unbelievably.

V4L
03-31-2005, 04:36 AM
he didnt have as good of numbers as roethisberger.. im not sure about rivers but i think rivers had better numbers also

bono
03-31-2005, 04:44 AM
because he's not a Favre or a Nabb, or a Manning.
That being said, I think he pretty cool! :pottytrain2:

Anahiem_Vikings
03-31-2005, 05:27 AM
"bono" wrote:

because he's not a Favre or a Nabb, or a Manning.
That being said, I think he pretty cool! :pottytrain2:

He doesn't have the TV personality of Favre or Manning. I think McNabb is finally getting up to the pro level but really don't like him because he hasn't EARNED the numbers Daunte has. Some of you will get mad but I would rather have Manning, Favre, and Bulger. Even if Daunte is #4 you just can't do much better and you have to support him as our guy. He should smile more and be more media friendly. It will help.

hawaiianvike21
03-31-2005, 10:06 AM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

Well the t-wolves got the respect they deserved....

Of course being last year. :lol:

I mean KG did win mvp right??? THere was a lot of press covering him and the t-wolves all year long last year. Not this year since they are like in the same category as the Lakers. :lol:

BBQ Platypus
03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Here's the answer to your question:
The Vikes are from a small market. They give more coverage to the big-market teams because they make more money that way. In other words, they are whores. Lousy media pukes. :roll:

Pigskin Bigs
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
A lot of it is media and a lot of it is winning. Favre is seen as a winner and he is one. Manning broke records. Daunte was up and down for a few years but kicked out huge numbers last year. If Manning didn't go crazy last year, Pep would've been up for MVP. More wins = more hype.

Pep is starting to get more hype (commercials)...so is this the year for him to go to elite status in the NFL?

V4L
03-31-2005, 05:30 PM
and randy was taking alot of attention or a bad D.. Randy got bad press or awesome catches.. and the D would just get made fun of.. Pep will get more attention this year because he doesnt have a superstar WR.. and the D should hold up fine for us

Anahiem_Vikings
04-05-2005, 08:20 AM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

The Vikes are from a small market. They give more coverage to the big-market teams because they make more money that way.

If that was true Brett Favre would not get the spotlight that he does. It's due to numbers and being a winner. Duante hasn't had consistant numbers and last year he finally won a playoff game. It also hurts that the Vikings have not been in the playoffs for years. He also is not seen as a leader. He is QB but but he could never bend Randy Moss, Cris Carter or other player into unified behavior for the good of the team. Lack of leadership really hurts a QB. No players ever cite Culpepper as inspiring them.

BBQ Platypus
04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
"Anahiem_Vikings" wrote:

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

The Vikes are from a small market. They give more coverage to the big-market teams because they make more money that way.

If that was true Brett Favre would not get the spotlight that he does. It's due to numbers and being a winner. Duante hasn't had consistant numbers and last year he finally won a playoff game. It also hurts that the Vikings have not been in the playoffs for years. He also is not seen as a leader. He is QB but but he could never bend Randy Moss, Cris Carter or other player into unified behavior for the good of the team. Lack of leadership really hurts a QB. No players ever cite Culpepper as inspiring them.Just because the media doesn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

6-KINGS
04-06-2005, 04:43 PM
(Carryover post from HOF talk)
Sweet Mother McCreedy!!
Some of these Cullpepper posts????
Hello McFly? Think McFly Think.
What on earth would you want Cullpepper to do?
Let's for grins say each team has 3 quarterbacks.
I know some may only carry or suit 2.
That is 90+ quarterbacks in the NFL on any given Sunday.
Cullpepper is a top 5 quarterback week in and week out.
And before the big guns come out blasting away at that, do the research.
His has earned that position.
Ask yourself who other than Cullpepper would you want leading this team?
I think you would be hard pressed to put ANY more than 4 other quartebacks ahead of him.
And maybe just 2 or 3.
This guy has helped changed the postion.

We are BLESSED to have Cullpepper.
He is so THE REAL DEAL!
And as of 2005 better than Farve. For the first time.
And that is sweeeeeeeet as Cartman would say.

cajunvike
04-06-2005, 05:26 PM
See bono's Culpepper thread for the answer to this question!

worshipabba2003
04-06-2005, 08:11 PM
http://www.widewordofsports.com/cartoons/sport17.JPG