PDA

View Full Version : Vikings moving to 3-4 defense??

VikesHawkFan26
03-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Cottrell said over the weekend on Sirius Satellite Radio that they may be moving toward the 3-4. Pat williams is the perfect nose guard for a 3-4.

Webby
03-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Must of been a repeat....I think they settled on sticking to the 4 - 3 ?

michaelmazid
03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
"VikesHawkFan26" wrote:

Cottrell said over the weekend on Sirius Satellite Radio that they may be moving toward the 3-4. Pat williams is the perfect nose guard for a 3-4.

we dont' have a enough linebackers for a 3-4. Hek, we dont' have enough linebackers for a 4-3 unless they are planning to move morten anderson to the middle linebacker position.

UMDTwinsfan
03-16-2005, 10:51 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

"VikesHawkFan26" wrote:

we dont' have a enough linebackers for a 3-4. Hek, we dont' have enough linebackers for a 4-3 unless they are planning to move morten anderson to the middle linebacker position.

We have enough for a 4-3 EJ Nap DT Nattiel Smith, and we'll probably draft one at somepoint in the draft . maybe even a 3-4 if we sign foreman but i doubt that happens It's not impossible but i doubt we switch

cajunvike
03-16-2005, 11:27 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

"VikesHawkFan26" wrote:

Actually, it will be Jose Cortez at Mike...the way he hits on kickoffs has impressed Pete Bercich enough to put Jose in there! :lol:

AngloVike
03-16-2005, 11:38 AM
I thought that Tice had discounted going to a 3-4 as well .. then again with some of the spin that the Vikes put out then anything is possible.
Williams would be a good NT in that scheme by moving KWill to DE would be a serious waste of his ability. His strength is causing mayhem in the middle so I really can't believe Cottrell would want to lose that advantage on the line

Del Rio
03-16-2005, 11:43 AM
I am convinced we go 3-4 because that is the one thing besides injuries that can screw over our new and improved D. And Cottrell has to 1 up himself for last year awesome scheme.

Ltrey33
03-16-2005, 12:53 PM
God, if we go 3-4 we will lose every game we play! Our LB's arent deep enough or skilled enough, and if we use big Pat as a nosetackle, where do we put K-Will? That just wouldnt make any sense. We've built our line to be a 4-3....K-Will, P-Will, Kenechi, and Johnstone/Mixon on the other side.

cajunvike
03-16-2005, 12:59 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

God, if we go 3-4 we will lose every game we play! Our LB's arent deep enough or skilled enough, and if we use big Pat as a nosetackle, where do we put K-Will? That just wouldnt make any sense. We've built our line to be a 4-3....K-Will, P-Will, Kenechi, and Johnstone/Mixon on the other side.

I saw it somewhere that Tice is planning to start D. Scott at the other end (opposite UDZ)...if DT also starts, that would put our first three picks last year (UDZ, DT and DScott) starting on D, PLUS our first two picks from the year before (KWill and EJ) starting as well...how's that for building through the draft...couple them with the FA/Trade acquisitions the last two years (PWill, Nap, AWin, Smoot, DSharp, Chavous) and we got one helluva 4-3 D brewin'!!!

Vikings Fan At MSU
03-16-2005, 01:26 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

I saw it somewhere that Tice is planning to start D. Scott at the other end (opposite UDZ)...if DT also starts, that would put our first three picks last year (UDZ, DT and DScott) starting on D, PLUS our first two picks from the year before (KWill and EJ) starting as well...how's that for building through the draft...couple them with the FA/Trade acquisitions the last two years (PWill, Nap, AWin, Smoot, DSharp, Chavous) and we got one helluva 4-3 D brewin'!!!

We better play in a 4-3 Defense cause thats how Harris played so well when he was in Oakland. Last year was shitty for him cause they moved to a 3-4 and he only had 65 tackles were as the previous year in a 4-3 he had 110+ tackles. If we get Derrik Johnson i believe it will benefit him too cause of his speed. Our DT's benefit way to much from a 4-3 to go to a 3/4 and make Kevin Williams a DE.

slowlow
03-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah 4-3 sounds great to me. If we go to 3-4 we will have to put K Williams at DE. Doesnt sound good to me at all! At 4-3 we can use our best linemen. (Kenchi Udeze),(Kevin Williams),(Pat Williams),and (Johnstone).

cajunvike
03-16-2005, 01:39 PM
"slowlow" wrote:

Yeah 4-3 sounds great to me. If we go to 3-4 we will have to put K Williams at DE. Doesnt sound good to me at all! At 4-3 we can use our best linemen. (Kenchi Udeze),(Kevin Williams),(Pat Williams),and (Johnstone).

DScott will start over LJohnstone...but expect to see LJ in on obvious passing downs (keeps him fresh)!

Del Rio
03-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Johnstone is a BEAST 11 sacks! Like to see them old timers still got it in em.

We are 4-3 folks.

JLDII
03-16-2005, 02:56 PM
It ain't going to happen. We'll be in a 4-3 next year.

Why would we switch? We only have 2 pieces of the puzzle to go to a 3-4, Udez, and P.Will. None of the rest of our defense fits the mold for a 3-4.

vikingsdiva
03-16-2005, 03:07 PM
I would like to see a 3-4 defense every once in awhile. But I think we would stick with a 4-3 for awhile being we have such new and raw talent. I could see next year Cottrell trying to sneak it in if we're more established and don't need to"dumb down" the defense.

muchluv4smoot
03-16-2005, 05:17 PM
"VikesHawkFan26" wrote:

Cottrell said in his interview last weekend that we were gonna play a 4-3. Pat williams might be a perfect NT, but kevin williams and udezde aren't perfect ends. Udeze is a perfect 4-3 end and williams is much better inside in a 4-3. Also, our LB's are still the weak area of our D, so no way we put more pressure on them.

DefensivePlaymaker
03-16-2005, 05:47 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I am convinced we go 3-4 because that is the one thing besides injuries that can screw over our new and improved D. And Cottrell has to 1 up himself for last year awesome scheme.

very very true!!

IbleedPURPLEandGOLD
03-16-2005, 09:08 PM
If we were going to a 3-4. Why Go and get a DT this offseason? P Willaims and K Williams. Stay with the 4-3.

muchluv4smoot
03-16-2005, 09:09 PM
"IbleedPURPLEandGOLD" wrote:

If we were going to a 3-4. Why Go and get a DT this offseason? P Willaims and K Williams. Stay with the 4-3.

Because kevin williams isn't a NT, he would be a DE in a 3-4. Pat williams is a NT and would fit well in a 3-4.

Still, we aren't gonna use the 3-4 next year, It has been said by tice and cottrell many times already this offseason.

Angryviking
03-16-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't know why everyone is down on Ted Cotrell. He did struggle last year but it was his first season with us and our D has struggled for many yrs. It would have been a tall order for any Defensive minded coach to try and get our TEAM to get to play better. they're not gonna go to a 3-4 enuff said, we don't have the talent at LB and our D-Line is built for 4-3. I'd say if Cotrell another season b4 we are ready to hang him. He did have a top five D in NY

Vikings Fan At MSU
03-16-2005, 09:26 PM
"Angryviking" wrote:

I don't know why everyone is down on Ted Cotrell. He did struggle last year but it was his first season with us and our D has struggled for many yrs. It would have been a tall order for any Defensive minded coach to try and get our TEAM to get to play better. they're not gonna go to a 3-4 enuff said, we don't have the talent at LB and our D-Line is built for 4-3. I'd say if Cotrell another season b4 we are ready to hang him. He did have a top five D in NY

Has anyone ripped Cotrell in this thread apparently your not reading correctly.........doesnt look like we are thrashing Cotrell at all it looks like we are talking about defesive schemes

Angryviking
03-16-2005, 09:29 PM
i read somebody ripping him, i guess it was in another Defense thread. my bad

muchluv4smoot
03-16-2005, 09:30 PM
"Angryviking" wrote:

Yeah I have heard a lot of cotrell bashing since last season and I don't thinkn he deserves it. He wanted to play a more aggressive style of D, but with injuries and the players we had fill in for them, he was forced to play a soft zone D all the time.

This year, with sharper and smoot in the secondary, cotrell said he now plans on playing much much more man to man D and being more aggressive. Our Lb's last year struggled in zone coverage, they were alright in man coverage, so this will also help the Lb's improve in coverage.

BleedGoldnPurple
03-16-2005, 09:45 PM
4-3 for sure... scott johnstone mixon they cud all mix in.. wow mixon.. mix in.. watever lol i dont think were deep enuff yet the LB's are too young, maybe next year..

slowlow
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
it would be cool tho if EJ and Dontarius would suprise all of us and be star LB's. i heard somewhere that they were the most athletic linebackrs. Is that True?

sitandbehitski
03-16-2005, 10:01 PM
DT is, EJ is athletic, but not really THAT athletic, unless your talking about just our team?

DiehardVikesFan
03-16-2005, 10:12 PM
3-4 is a terrible idea. D Ends in a 3-4 are basically there to suck up blockers, which would take our best player on defense (KWill) and take him out of position to make plays.

muchluv4smoot
03-16-2005, 10:16 PM
"slowlow" wrote:

it would be cool tho if EJ and Dontarius would suprise all of us and be star LB's. i heard somewhere that they were the most athletic linebackrs. Is that True?

Yeah, they have all the tools to be awesome LB's. They just need to study study study.

fourdoorchevelle
03-16-2005, 11:14 PM
why does this topic keep coming up , last stated was 4-3 . unless you have a link or film stating otherwise then please don't start this topic again!!!!!!!!!!!!! seems like the same topic once a week. i guess i may not like hearing about this so much because i love 4-3 and not sure of our lb's

ultravikingfan
03-16-2005, 11:42 PM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

3-4 is a terrible idea. D Ends in a 3-4 are basically there to suck up blockers, which would take our best player on defense (KWill) and take him out of position to make plays.

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/signs/239.gif--------- :salute:

Del Rio
03-17-2005, 08:10 AM
I ripped cotrell

And I poked at him in this thread.

I never said fire him because we need someone to stay here more then a year. But he so far hasn't shown any reason to get excited. He promised an aggressive D then he put them in a fluffy scheme.

I blame him for the poor play of our safties, I blame him for our poor coverage. He was over rated with his other teams and he was fired from the Jets because he doesn't get the job done.

Some coaches can make something out of very little he cannot. And that leads me to belive he doesn't do as much coaching as he should.

1) 8+ yard cushions!!! On our CB's, and you wonder why they get burned why the safties get burned LMAO
2) Lack of aggression on D
3) Few stunts
4) Few Blitzes, when we did it was a guy up the middle.
5) Poor tackling
6) Magically making adjustments in the second half. IE not being prepared.

Yep the coaches job is to get all that squared away even tackling. Stress it do the drills make it work. Honestly what happened to our D after the first few games? We sucked in the 1st half tore it up in the second week in week out. How can you honestly chaulk that up to the players? It's obviously not them it was a matter of getting burnt and cotrell changing the shcheme in the second half.

I respect your guys' opinions on Cotrell and I know he needs to stick around and give some consistency to the D. But if he doesn't play more agressive fronts this year I hope he gets shipped out.

whackthepack
03-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Del Rio, you are correct sir!

No soft D this year, smash mouth football! And if Cotrell can not get it done with the new players he has on defense then we need somebody new!

ultravikingfan
03-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Why did we have to get a guy who was fired? As oppsed to a guy who is getting the job done somewhere else and is being rearded with a coordinators job?

ElBarto
03-17-2005, 09:43 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Why did we have to get a guy who was fired? As oppsed to a guy who is getting the job done somewhere else and is being rearded with a coordinators job?

Anything to do with Red and his unwillingness to part with $$$$ :-k

Del Rio
03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
It was a penny pinching move by Red. He got a lot of hype because he was an African American in the hunt for head coaching jobs not because of how good he was.

"Corey Chavous might be the smartest player in the league – he always seems to know where the offense is going. Unfortunately, new defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell always seems to want his safeties hanging back and waiting to see what happens. I’m not in that “all the prevent defense does is prevent you from winning” crowd, but I do think Cottrell uses it too much."

Del Rio
03-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Just because I stumbled on it.

VIKINGS 2005

Head Coach:
Mike Tice

Assistants:
Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line: Steve Loney
Defensive Coordinator: Ted Cottrell
Wide Receivers: Wes Chandler
Quarterbacks: Rich Olson
Defensive Line: Brian Baker