PDA

View Full Version : Better Coach?

Angryviking
03-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about the Vikings today and a thought occured to me. who was the better head coach of the vikings. Dennis Green or Mike Tice. Alright let me just say some stuff that crossed my mind about it today. alright for sure Denny Green had more success with the Vikings he got to the NFC championship twice in a 3 yr span and pretty much the playoffs every year. But he did have a terrible track record with the draft, i can only recall Moss, Culpepper and Kleinsasser(not sure). When we had that awesome trio of receivers Moss, Carter, and Reed. And a good one-two punch in Smith/Hoard how could we not have excelled defensive thru the draft and made the super bowl? On the other hand Tice's group has started out strong the last two years but then stumbled at the end of the season. But Tice has drafted a Pro Bowl DT and some promising young players. If Tice had had the offense that Green had, you think tice would have got the Vikes to a super bowl?

ADubya26
03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
No, Tice probably would have faked the FG in 98 and we would have lost that way.

Both of them suck.

XTAP59
03-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Robert Smith was Dennys first ever pick.

Actually, Denny had great success with the draft. His only blunder was what he called his "Extra" first round pick and selected D. Underwood from Michigan State who never played a single down for us.

Denny could get the talent, just couldn't get them to play together.

snowinapril
03-15-2005, 05:55 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

No, Tice probably would have faked the FG in 98 and we would have lost that way.

Zinger!!!!

LMAO :salute:

snowinapril
03-15-2005, 05:58 PM
"XTAP59" wrote:

Robert Smith was Dennys first ever pick.

Actually, Denny had great success with the draft. His only blunder was what he called his "Extra" first round pick and selected D. Underwood from Michigan State who never played a single down for us.

Denny could get the talent, just couldn't get them to play together.

I thought the opposite.

I thought Denny was a better motivator than Tice. Denny got them to play at a consistant level 10 plus win seasons with no choking the last 6 weeks of the season.

So you are saying Denny was only as good as the team and the team only did well because they were so talented?

http://www.christophersphotography.net/vikings/smootsig.gif

ultravikingfan
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Denny had some good drafts:

http://vikings.scout.com/2/37517.html
http://vikings.scout.com/2/37518.html

Viking_Spirit
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Denny was a better coach...Tice just flat out sucks.

snowinapril
03-15-2005, 06:14 PM
"Viking_Spirit" wrote:

The problem I had with Tice is he might be ready to finally take the training wheels off of his bike. Too bad his daddy Red, took gears 16 through 20 off of his bike and ship them to Oaktown to put on Norv Turner's (equivalent to L.Armstrong) bike. We had all those gears all those years and couldn't do anything with them. Finally made the playoffs with Tice this year.

That is what sucks.

Angryviking
03-15-2005, 06:14 PM
wasn't Green canned because of Moss? Or did he get canned for getting our butts kicked by the Giants in the NFC game. I never knew for sure Minnesota news never travels to New Mexico all i hear about is Cowboys, Cards and Packers for some god forsaken reason people down here are cheese heads

ultravikingfan
03-15-2005, 06:18 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Viking_Spirit" wrote:

The problem I had with Tice is he might be ready to finally take the training wheels off of his bike. Too bad his daddy Red, took gears 16 through 20 off of his bike and ship them to Oaktown to put on Norv Turner's (equivalent to L.Armstrong) bike. We had all those gears all those years and couldn't do anything with them. Finally made the playoffs with Tice this year.

That is what sucks.

----------http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/signs/241.gif

snowinapril
03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Viking_Spirit" wrote:

That is what sucks.

----------http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/signs/241.gif

Weeeeee, weeeeeee!

We had an extra large 3rd grader riding our 20 speed bike for crying out loud.

LosAngelis
03-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Denny is a higher motivation guy. Kind of reminds me of Ray Rhodes a bit, but guys like that seems to just run out of gas. It's like they can just get you motivated for a while, but eventually you just get sick of it.

Tice is a meathead. He tries too hard to be the buddy. You don't respect the buddy. When the buddy gets mad at you, you get mad at the buddy. So, the buddy has to pussyfoot around you (Moss) to motivate you.

I'd take Green over Tice in a heartbeat.

Angryviking
03-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Alright i'm not saying Tice is the next great thing, but if Green was such a great coach then why did we can him, and i looked at those draft picks and i can't recall any of them becoming defensive stars for us so i wouldn't say he did all that good.

Ltrey33
03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Green ended up being canned cuz they got smacked around in the NFC Championship, and then came out and was 5-10....he resigned right before the Monday Night game @ Baltimore, in which my favorite quarterback ever (Spergen Wynn, God, does anyone remember that guy?)<<that was sarcasm by the way....threw some terrible passes and lost us the game, and the Vikes finished 5-11.

midgensa
03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
"Angryviking" wrote:

wasn't Green canned because of Moss? Or did he get canned for getting our butts kicked by the Giants in the NFC game. I never knew for sure Minnesota news never travels to New Mexico all i hear about is Cowboys, Cards and Packers for some god forsaken reason people down here are cheese heads

Green was canned for a number of reasons, the top one being, IT WAS TIME FOR A CHANGE. He was behind the awful NFC drubbing and let Moss run his trap at Carter and Culpepper and did nothing about it. The following year the team never recovered from the loss of the game or Korey Stringer and the coach lost them. Tice looked good winning his final three games his first full year as coach and if he could figure out how to hold on to great starts could find his niche.

I actually like both of them. I think Green was great in the purple, but his time was up. I think Tice at least gets one season with a team that has spent some money and we can see finally what he can offer.

ultravikingfan
03-15-2005, 07:43 PM
"Angryviking" wrote:

Alright i'm not saying Tice is the next great thing, but if Green was such a great coach then why did we can him, and i looked at those draft picks and i can't recall any of them becoming defensive stars for us so i wouldn't say he did all that good.

We couldn't get over the hump!

cajunvike
03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
"ltrey33" wrote:

Green ended up being canned cuz they got smacked around in the NFC Championship, and then came out and was 5-10....he resigned right before the Monday Night game @ Baltimore, in which my favorite quarterback ever (Spergen Wynn, God, does anyone remember that guy?)<<that was sarcasm by the way....threw some terrible passes and lost us the game, and the Vikes finished 5-11.

I was at that game...Wynn sucked...and it was cold as sh*t to boot!

coreyd
03-15-2005, 07:59 PM
You know what makes a good coach? One that motivates the team! Tice has yet been able to motivate them, therefore Denny takes the cake.

HOW CAN YOU NOT MOTIVATE A TEAM THAT STARTS OUT 6-0, AND GOES ON TO LOSE TO EVERY SORRY @$$ TEAM IN THE LEAGUE! THEN YOUR KNOCKED OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS....WITH THE LAST PLAY OF THE SEASON?

No wonder Green Bay made it both years, they knew they could count on us losing!

We need a different Coach in my book!

olson_10
03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
GREEN

LosAngelis
03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
There are a few coaches that can really stand the test of time...where they don't burn a team out on their own attitutde. Burns, Lombardi, Billick, Shula are all guys who coached in a way that kept the team in the game after year.

Most coaches burn out a team, though. Parcells is a great example. Cowher is one who may be making the transition...though he probably should have been fired years ago.

Green wasn't a bad coach...but most coaches only have 5-8 years in them before you need a change.

Tice is just a bad coach.

snowinapril
03-15-2005, 09:55 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

There are a few coaches that can really stand the test of time...where they don't burn a team out on their own attitutde. Burns, Lombardi, Billick, Shula are all guys who coached in a way that kept the team in the game after year.

Most coaches burn out a team, though. Parcells is a great example. Cowher is one who may be making the transition...though he probably should have been fired years ago.

Green wasn't a bad coach...but most coaches only have 5-8 years in them before you need a change.

Tice is just a bad coach.

True
True
True
True

I concur on all 4 statements.

snakethejake83
03-15-2005, 10:01 PM
One thing I would like to bring up... How many Defensive coordinators have we had since 1999?

Its not just Tice... its the fact of us just ushering out to many systems and not sticking to one. And not having the personel to run a certain type of system.

The great thing I like about the NFL, is that you cant stay on top for a decade. New England is done this year, they lost their offensive and Defensive coordinators. Just like we have been downhill since dungy and billick left. If we can stick with someone without them getting snagged, and an owner actually paying them worth a damn, then we can go somewhere.

You have to realize... its not tice calling the offensive or defensive plays, and its not tice puting the helmet on and hitting someone in the mouth. Hell, its not even tice determining who is on the field.

dbalke10
03-16-2005, 02:10 PM
For years I grumbled about the fact that Denny wouldn't take a chance and played it to close to the vest, and then we go the other way and Tice coaches too much like a fan. He actually thinks that every fourth down is an opportunity and wanted to throw the haymaker on every down... I think that Loney is going to bring him back to earth, we are going to control the ball, making the defense better still, by only making them play for half of the game, the way it should be. And can someone please teach Tice clock, challenge and timeout management? If he doesn't learn this, he is still going to cost us a game or two next year.

Bubba Jed
03-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Maybe we should sit Tice down with BUD GRANT and let them talk it over.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Ther is an easy answer to this question. Tice is FRIENDS with the players and gets along fairly well with most of them.

Denny killed a player (RIP Korey Stringer) by overworking him.

midgensa
03-16-2005, 06:00 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ltrey33" wrote:

I was at that game...Wynn sucked...and it was cold as sh*t to boot!

I was at that game too. Wynn was terrible. The best pass of the game was a WR option from Moss to Carter on the first drive. We were inside the five like three times and came away with shit. If we had won the Hawks would have gotten in the playoffs, but we blew it for them.