PDA

View Full Version : They can have him!!!!!



Caine
03-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Chris Hovan will visit the Giants this week, perhaps as early as today. A first-round pick of the Vikings in 2000, Hovan had a strong start to his career, recording 141 tackles and 13 1/2 sacks in his first three seasons.

But his numbers dipped in 2003 and last year he was held to a career-low 1 1/2 sacks while missing three regular-season games and two playoff games due to injuries. The Giants' interest in Hovan, after signing DT Kendrick Clancy on Friday, is another indication that Hand might soon be released.

I hope they do sign him. Then we can laugh when we run all over his non-performing butt.

Caine

Mr. Purple
03-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I used to love hovan....but idk....hes like a totaly differnt player now....I see the hunger in him during the games....but not the full out performance he used to bring...lets bring back randal...john randal that is!

jdvike
03-14-2005, 11:03 AM
If he had anything left,I think we wouldve seen it last year (contract year)
Maybe a change of scenery will do him good,but not too good I hope lol

sitandbehitski
03-14-2005, 11:04 AM
After he couldn't take his 'Roids he sucked. Good riddance.

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 11:16 AM
He will have a good year with the Giants. That is a good move for him. He has never been GREAT he has always been solid before this last season he will do a good job for them.

cajunvike
03-14-2005, 11:30 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

He will have a good year with the Giants. That is a good move for him. He has never been GREAT he has always been solid before this last season he will do a good job for them.

He will be reunited with the "awesome" Fred Robbins to re-create the most feared DT duo ever seen. :lol: But seriously, I wish him well...just not against us!

muffin1229
03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
I sure hope NY picks him up, because I would like to see what he does on a different team. I hope it's better than he did here, because if he could only pick up 1.5 sacks playing next to K-Will, either he was having more problems than we knew, or he is burned out.

ADubya26
03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

He will have a good year with the Giants. That is a good move for him. He has never been GREAT he has always been solid before this last season he will do a good job for them.

He will be reunited with the "awesome" Fred Robbins to re-create the most feared DT duo ever seen. :lol: But seriously, I wish him well...just not against us!

Robbins actually had a pretty good year last year, maybe Hovan will do the same.

He just cant seem to get it done with us, thats for sure.

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him have a 10 sack season with them. Especially with the upgrade at LB they have made. And an END that is doubled all the time. Double teams on interior lineman if done correctly create a clump of traffic. A Double team on the outside neutralizes ONE person and ultimately creates space.

Hovan got shafted here. A lot of people were all about him until last year. They loved watching him and rooting for him. Honestly the only thing that dissapointed me about him last year is the way he reacted to the critisizm by the head coach. I don't know if I could play for Gorilla either. He seems like the kind of guy that would love his all stars regardless of what they did and ride the working class to make up for his lack of coaching ability.

Plus he seems even more shady then ever. Any way yeah Hovan is gone spencer Johnson is another "Hovan" hard working blue collar guy. Good move for both clubs.

chippewavike
03-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Hovan is a little cry-baby, he'll be wishing he didn't want a new team after this year.

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 11:49 AM
That was insightful,
lacked mention of an awesome WR in the draft and a crappy over rated LB though.

VKG4LFE
03-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Good luck Hovan, I hope a new set of scenery will prolong your career!

Pirate
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him have a 10 sack season with them. Especially with the upgrade at LB they have made. And an END that is doubled all the time. Double teams on interior lineman if done correctly create a clump of traffic. A Double team on the outside neutralizes ONE person and ultimately creates space.

Hovan got shafted here. A lot of people were all about him until last year. They loved watching him and rooting for him. Honestly the only thing that dissapointed me about him last year is the way he reacted to the critisizm by the head coach. I don't know if I could play for Gorilla either. He seems like the kind of guy that would love his all stars regardless of what they did and ride the working class to make up for his lack of coaching ability.

Plus he seems even more shady then ever. Any way yeah Hovan is gone spencer Johnson is another "Hovan" hard working blue collar guy. Good move for both clubs.

Hovan didn't get the shaft here IMO

1) It appeared as though his ostrasization was team wide, not just with Tice.

2) Tice gave him numerous chances (far more than I would have).

3) He wasn't the only player to fall flat last year, Chavous and Russell did not perform up to the level they had the previous year either. Makes me wonder about Cottrell.

4) IF the biggest problem for Hovan was his unwillingness to be 'coached' as was widely reported, then anywhere he goes he will have the same issues unless his attitude changes. (and I truly hope it does)

Bottom line: he couldn't walk his talk.

Too bad too, he is a good player........good luck to Hovan wherever he ends up!

Hooversham
03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
He got too big and lost mobility and quickness. I liked Hovan. You can't deny that he was a beast, at least for one year. I wish him well wherever he goes.... except when we play his new team.

Weren't he and Jimmy K. lifting partners and roommates? Hope it doens't effect Jimmy K. at all.

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
"Pirate" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him have a 10 sack season with them. Especially with the upgrade at LB they have made. And an END that is doubled all the time. Double teams on interior lineman if done correctly create a clump of traffic. A Double team on the outside neutralizes ONE person and ultimately creates space.

Hovan got shafted here. A lot of people were all about him until last year. They loved watching him and rooting for him. Honestly the only thing that dissapointed me about him last year is the way he reacted to the critisizm by the head coach. I don't know if I could play for Gorilla either. He seems like the kind of guy that would love his all stars regardless of what they did and ride the working class to make up for his lack of coaching ability.

Plus he seems even more shady then ever. Any way yeah Hovan is gone spencer Johnson is another "Hovan" hard working blue collar guy. Good move for both clubs.

Hovan didn't get the shaft here IMO

1) It appeared as though his ostrasization was team wide, not just with Tice.

2) Tice gave him numerous chances (far more than I would have).

3) He wasn't the only player to fall flat last year, Chavous and Russell did not perform up to the level they had the previous year either. Makes me wonder about Cottrell.

4) IF the biggest problem for Hovan was his unwillingness to be 'coached' as was widely reported, then anywhere he goes he will have the same issues unless his attitude changes. (and I truly hope it does)

Bottom line: he couldn't walk his talk.

Too bad too, he is a good player........good luck to Hovan wherever he ends up!

I agree with that assessment.

I don't think he couldn't walk his talk I think he couldn't live up to what everyone made him out to be. With a little bit himself. Tice remarked Numerous times he was grading out VERY WELL he was doing his job. They just wanted more. We hammered this bad boy into the ground about a year ago. He did his job, he did it well. He was grading out in the top Tice even said so. But they wanted him to step it up and make up for piss poor LBing.

Just like I am failing to see how Russel and Chavous had bad years when they both were in top 5 on our team for tackles????? Again they were making up for piss poor LBing as well.

sitandbehitski
03-14-2005, 01:50 PM
No, Jimmy K. and Mike Rosenthal were lifting partners, word is they spent alot of time togethor while injured and became buds, which is good considering they line up side-by-side alot.

jdvike
03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Yes, its not a good thing when your defensive backfield is leading the team in tackles.

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
"jdvike" wrote:

Yes, its not a good thing when your defensive backfield is leading the team in tackles.

No doubt.

But the fact that they HAVE to make those tackles means they aren't able to focus on their position at it's fullest. They have one bad year due to IMO learning curve of the LB's and they are labeled ineffective.

Not by you, I'm not pointing fingers but damn this is getting ridiculous.

ultravikingfan
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

Yes, its not a good thing when your defensive backfield is leading the team in tackles.

No doubt.

But the fact that they HAVE to make those tackles means they aren't able to focus on their position at it's fullest. They have one bad year due to IMO learning curve of the LB's and they are labeled ineffective.

Not by you, I'm not pointing fingers but gol 'darnit this is getting ridiculous.

Wow, I said that once and got blasted! I agree

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Good luck Hovan, I hope a new set of scenery will prolong your career!

Or shorten it! :lol:

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 03:44 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

Yes, its not a good thing when your defensive backfield is leading the team in tackles.

No doubt.

But the fact that they HAVE to make those tackles means they aren't able to focus on their position at it's fullest. They have one bad year due to IMO learning curve of the LB's and they are labeled ineffective.

Not by you, I'm not pointing fingers but gol 'darnit this is getting ridiculous.

Wow, I said that once and got blasted! I agree

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Good luck Hovan, I hope a new set of scenery will prolong your career!

Or shorten it! :lol:

Yeah you get blasted lately for seeing things clearly. Just smack em around a bit and they QQ and leave you alone.

ultravikingfan
03-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I tried making the point that a LB should lead the team in tackles.

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
That's what defense is all about. You hit the nail right on the head. Anyone who argued with you seriously needs to read a book or something.

Go to any NFL stats page, I went to ESPN. Look at 2004 NFL LEADERS IN TACKLES.

Look at the top ten, 9 of them are LB's. Look down the list 80-90% are LB's because that is what is supposed to happen. It's a team game 11 guys relying on each other. Everyone's has their own job but all the jobs rely on each other.

Basic example. Look at Dline, LBers, and Corners.
The Line needs to get pressure to help the coverage avoid prolonged exposure. BUT the line needs instant support from the coverage to allow them time to get pressure.

The LB's need the Line to maintain thier assignments and gap reposibilities in order to make it easier on thier reads and give a straight line of sight. The DB's NEED the LB's to make tackles so they can focus on thier coverage.

Teams that trust each others ability to do thier job are the ones with the rings. You are talking about plays that last seconds. There is no second guessing. But it never fails someone see's someone get burned and they suck. But hey if they took the time there was probably a reason. That's why they are still around LMAO coaches watch film they see why things happened.

Everything on that side of the ball revolves around LBers EVERYTHING. That is why all the good D's have an outspoken hard working LB. Someone to take charge of that side of the ball. Heck Cotrell screwed the team by having the corners play so far back.

That doesn't give the line time to get pressure, and puts the corners on an island every single play. Makes the LB's scramble like mad just to get somewhere near the play. The safties get stuck in serious cat and mouse and either HAVE to play the run or HAVE to play the pass.

I agree with you Ultra. And this game is so much more complex then anyone gives it credit. Way more goes into it then so and so got burned or so and so doesn't have enough sacks.

Definately playing on our heals last year taking the punches not giving them.

whackthepack
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I hope that he signs on with the Giants, I want to see him do for them what he did for us the last 3 years.

Nothing!

He was overrated when he came into to the league, he ahd 1 good year and other than that he is a flop.

Sorry if that is harsh, but I had to put up with people making excuses for Hovan for years. I am happy that he is gone! :cheers:

VKG4LFE
03-14-2005, 05:37 PM
At least he did more for us than Jamal Reynolds did for the packers!!

sitandbehitski
03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
true dat!

Del Rio
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I hope that he signs on with the Giants, I want to see him do for them what he did for us the last 3 years.

Nothing!

He was overrated when he came into to the league, he ahd 1 good year and other than that he is a flop.

Sorry if that is harsh, but I had to put up with people making excuses for Hovan for years. I am happy that he is gone! :cheers:

i knew a hovan thread would wake wack up lol. how you doing?

snakethejake83
03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Problem is that russel just misses to many tackles. His job as a safety is to make those tackels. We had alot of big plays against us this last year as a result of him. I still think that chavous will have a pro-bowl caliber year again next year. If you surround anyone with good players, they have to step their game up.

Problem with hovan is he messed around to much in the weight room and got to big. He tries to bench press 320+ guards all the time. Only move he has is the bull rush. What made him effective was getting off the ball so quick. I think if hovan dropped down from 300 to 285 he could rely more on his quickness, and his great strength and can be a good player in this league still.