PDA

View Full Version : New Look Defense



IdahoViking
03-12-2005, 10:13 PM
As the Vikes stack thier D-Fense, and they are doing a great job, it seems more and more evident that we are setting ourselves up to play the 3-4 next season. We all know that the key to this defense is a run stopper in the middle(Pat WIlliams), speed at linebacker(Harris and Thomas), cover corners(Winfield and Smoot) who are now the best tandem in the league by the way, and finally Head hunting Safeties(Chavios and Sharper), not to mention the potential with Howard in New Orleans of Darius in Jacksonville possibly becoming Vikings. It could be the best anticipated year since 98, minus that Damn Kick

PurplePeopleEaters
03-12-2005, 10:16 PM
IMO we shouldn't go to a 3-4. we don't have 4 good LB but potentially have 4 good D-Lineman.

ultravikingfan
03-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I believe Cotrell said we were not going to a 3-4.

fourdoorchevelle
03-12-2005, 10:27 PM
i hope not . 4-3 looks more promissing , lb core still might not be ready . not sure on their read and react skills yet

TheFloridianVikingFan
03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
yea i agree were not ready for it....

muchluv4smoot
03-12-2005, 11:11 PM
"IdahoViking" wrote:

As the Vikes stack thier D-Fense, and they are doing a great job, it seems more and more evident that we are setting ourselves up to play the 3-4 next season. We all know that the key to this defense is a run stopper in the middle(Pat WIlliams), speed at linebacker(Harris and Thomas), cover corners(Winfield and Smoot) who are now the best tandem in the league by the way, and finally Head hunting Safeties(Chavios and Sharper), not to mention the potential with Howard in New Orleans of Darius in Jacksonville possibly becoming Vikings. It could be the best anticipated year since 98, minus that gol 'darnit Kick



My god, even our D coordinator says we aren't gonna run a 3-4 next year and still people don't believe it. We are gonna run a 4-3 next year people. Deal with it.

ultravikingfan
03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
4-3 :lol:

---http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif---http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif---http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif---http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif---http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif---http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/sports/064.gif

jberg987
03-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Maybe the 2006 season, they could go to 3-4, not that i them to, and coaching staff retains its jobs. Its seems most of the defense is signed for 3+ years, so it would start some stability if they change.

hawaiianvike21
03-13-2005, 04:43 AM
Heres a better loook of the new defense. Looks somewhat better that all words bunched up together. Looks sorta like a diagram, i tried. :lol:

2005 Vikings starting D



Free Saftey-Corey Chavous Strong Saftey-Darren Sharper


Left Cb-Winfield Right Cb-Fred SMoot.



Olb-Thomas Mlb-Harris OLb- Henderson possibly?



Right De-mixon Nt-Kevin Williams Nt-Pat williams De-Kenechi udeze

NavyVik
03-13-2005, 05:58 AM
From reading interviews with coaches, and having an idea of strengths of our players, here is the '05 Vikes defense... (provided we don't bring in anyone else)

LCB:Winfield, FS: Sharper, SS: Chavous, RCB: Smoot

OLB: Thomas, MLB: Henderson, OLB: Harris

RDE: Udeze, DTs: P. Williams & K. Williams, LDE: Scott

But regardless of where they play, we will be a dramaticly improved D-unit.

Potus2028
03-13-2005, 03:37 PM
personally.. i like the 4-3 deffense over the 3-4 much better.. aside from the obvious passing situation, what are the advantages to the 3-4???

i would assume the 4-3 could defend run much better, and could at least put a man on all the recievers and back...

somebody want to help me out here with advantages to the 3-4??

:king:

muchluv4smoot
03-13-2005, 03:40 PM
"NavyVik" wrote:

From reading interviews with coaches, and having an idea of strengths of our players, here is the '05 Vikes defense... (provided we don't bring in anyone else)

LCB:Winfield, FS: Sharper, SS: Chavous, RCB: Smoot

OLB: Thomas, MLB: Henderson, OLB: Harris

RDE: Udeze, DTs: P. Williams & K. Williams, LDE: Scott

But regardless of where they play, we will be a dramaticly improved D-unit.



This would be our starting lineup right now, according to tice and cottrell. I think we will add one more starter in the draft, with one of the first round picks. It will be either a DE, LB or SS.

NeoVikesTX
03-13-2005, 03:48 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I believe Cotrell said we were not going to a 3-4.
Coaches do not always say exactly what they are going to do. It would be dumb for Cottrell to say they are definitely going to run the 3-4 next season because then everyone would know where we are going in the draft and free agency. Not to mention next years opponents preparing to play us.

I'm not saying that we will run the 3-4 next season, but it is definitely a possibility. If we get LB Derrick Johnson in the draft, then I think the possibilites of a 3-4 next season go way up. Just my opinion though.

ultravikingfan
03-13-2005, 03:49 PM
I like it! Especially our secondary!

BBQ Platypus
03-13-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm going to spell this out for you (I HOPE I'm not being too subtle or anything):

X-X-X-X
-X-X-X-
X-X-X-X
|

.:.
X--X--X--X
--X-X-X-X--
--X--X--X

magicci
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
i dont get BBQ

midgensa
03-13-2005, 04:43 PM
"IdahoViking" wrote:

As the Vikes stack thier D-Fense, and they are doing a great job, it seems more and more evident that we are setting ourselves up to play the 3-4 next season. We all know that the key to this defense is a run stopper in the middle(Pat WIlliams), speed at linebacker(Harris and Thomas), cover corners(Winfield and Smoot) who are now the best tandem in the league by the way, and finally Head hunting Safeties(Chavios and Sharper), not to mention the potential with Howard in New Orleans of Darius in Jacksonville possibly becoming Vikings. It could be the best anticipated year since 98, minus that gol 'darnit Kick

Simply put, our linebackers are too inexperienced and not deep enough to go to a 3-4. You need more solid LB's on a roster to run that DB as they are the key to all the schemes, I really hope this is not in the plans or we will not put enough pressure on QB's and Smoot and Winfield may end up looking average because the opponent will have all-day to wait for an open man.

finnishvikingsfan
03-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I dont think the 3-4 is the way to go our linebackers had problems with the running and the 3-4 would just confuse them more.

snowinapril
03-13-2005, 05:05 PM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

I dont think the 3-4 is the way to go our linebackers had problems with the running and the 3-4 would just confuse them more.

I read somewhere on this site that Cotrell said on KFAN the other day that he was going to run the 4-3.

RK.
03-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Personally I am not a fan of the 3/4 D. IMO the only reason to go to it is if your secondary sucks and you need an extra guy pass defending. And it usually doesn't work because you give up pressure on the QB and unless you have great LB's that can tackle you cant stop the run with it either. This year we have a great secondary and a great 4 man D line. If we get another good LB to go with Harris we will kick some butt with the 4/3 D. :thumbleft:

snowinapril
03-13-2005, 05:12 PM
"RK" wrote:

Personally I am not a fan of the 3/4 D. IMO the only reason to go to it is if your secondary sucks and you need an extra guy pass defending. And it usually doesn't work because you give up pressure on the QB and unless you have great LB's that can tackle you cant stop the run with it either. This year we have a great secondary and a great 4 man D line. If we get another good LB to go with Harris we will kick some butt with the 4/3 D. :thumbleft:

The key word here must be usually.

Don't the NE Pats run a 3-4?

And haven't they had quite a bit of success recently?

I am being a smart ass. LOL.... JK :sunny:

JTSnow
03-13-2005, 05:49 PM
"IdahoViking" wrote:

As the Vikes stack thier D-Fense, and they are doing a great job, it seems more and more evident that we are setting ourselves up to play the 3-4 next season. We all know that the key to this defense is a run stopper in the middle(Pat WIlliams), speed at linebacker(Harris and Thomas), cover corners(Winfield and Smoot) who are now the best tandem in the league by the way, and finally Head hunting Safeties(Chavios and Sharper), not to mention the potential with Howard in New Orleans of Darius in Jacksonville possibly becoming Vikings. It could be the best anticipated year since 98, minus that gol 'darnit Kick

I think are D we be ranked in the top ten. :thumbleft:

vikes09
03-13-2005, 05:55 PM
our linebackers already have problems w/ pass protection. going 2 a 3-4 would only make them have to cover more, well at least some of them. the others or other would blitz. but contrell plays conservative, or too conservitave to play an effective 3-4. i like our 4-3. how is it obvious we are building for the 4-3. we get phat pat, so that means hes defiantly going 2 be our NT right???

Paulbedy59
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
We are much better suited,talent-wise to run a 4-3 :salute:

eclipse_2303
03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
"JTSnow" wrote:

"IdahoViking" wrote:

As the Vikes stack thier D-Fense, and they are doing a great job, it seems more and more evident that we are setting ourselves up to play the 3-4 next season. We all know that the key to this defense is a run stopper in the middle(Pat WIlliams), speed at linebacker(Harris and Thomas), cover corners(Winfield and Smoot) who are now the best tandem in the league by the way, and finally Head hunting Safeties(Chavios and Sharper), not to mention the potential with Howard in New Orleans of Darius in Jacksonville possibly becoming Vikings. It could be the best anticipated year since 98, minus that gol 'darnit Kick

I think are D we be ranked in the top ten. :thumbleft:


Yeah on paper. Not quite top 10. Still don't have any chemistry together. Top 15 but not top 10.

LosAngelis
03-13-2005, 08:43 PM
"magicci" wrote:

i dont get BBQ

I always order the beef tips.

arialassault84
03-13-2005, 08:52 PM
No way do we have the best CB tandem in the league. Balt McCallister and Rolle, Miami Surtain and Madison, Eagles Sheppard and Brown. We might be top three, but not near #1.....yet!

V4L
03-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Sheppard and Brown isnt that great.. id take ours over thiers anyday.. id trade our safteys for thiers tho!! i think the Mcallister and Rolle duo is scary.. they have awesome linebackers too and ed reed.. their line gets sacks because they throw in things with other players... im going off on nothing but i would say our tandem is top 5.. our trio with b-will is top 3

Potus2028
03-13-2005, 09:13 PM
i personaly like 4-3 better, can deffend the run a lot better, and equally defends against run and pass, were 3-4 is i think) better suited for short pass (like 2nd or 3rd and 5)
still nobody has ansered my question.. what are the advantages 3-4 has over 4-3.. especially on our team with the new secondary and gang

and why would you say the D has no chem... they havent even gone to camp yet...you say it like they've been playing together for years and that they dont even acknowledge eachother as a team... be optomistic.. why not #1 defense..

:king:

V4L
03-13-2005, 09:22 PM
i like the 4-3 because we dont have enough good LB's

ultravikingfan
03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

I dont think the 3-4 is the way to go our linebackers had problems with the running and the 3-4 would just confuse them more.

I read somewhere on this site that Cotrell said on KFAN the other day that he was going to run the 4-3.

Yes, Cotrell said in an interview we would run a 4-3.

duluthvikeslover85
03-13-2005, 09:31 PM
I love the 4-3 defense so we get that pass rushing defense to go after the qb or rb. Since we do have the Best cover tandam in the NFL in Smoot and WInfield. And Sharper and Chavous can only make us better in the safety area. Our Linebackers can be either Harris-Thomas-Henderson ( or with the seventh overall pick we select Derrick Johnson)

RK.
03-13-2005, 09:33 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"RK" wrote:

Personally I am not a fan of the 3/4 D. IMO the only reason to go to it is if your secondary sucks and you need an extra guy pass defending. And it usually doesn't work because you give up pressure on the QB and unless you have great LB's that can tackle you cant stop the run with it either. This year we have a great secondary and a great 4 man D line. If we get another good LB to go with Harris we will kick some butt with the 4/3 D. :thumbleft:

The key word here must be usually.

Don't the NE Pats run a 3-4?

And haven't they had quite a bit of success recently?

I am being a smart butt. LOL.... JK :sunny:

I did say usually :P There are some teams that have the personnel to make it work. However if they come up against great running teams they put at least one LB practically on the line, so they may as well be a 4/3. :) For the personnel we have it has to be a 4/3 D. If we get some really great LB's it the future I suspect we will be able to switch from 4/3 to 3/4 depending on the need. However we don't have near the depth that takes at this time.

cajunvike
03-14-2005, 12:27 AM
4-3 makes perfect sense...3-4 will not be an option unless we have at least 5 good LBs....and even then, it doesn't make sense for us.

BBQ Platypus
03-14-2005, 07:54 AM
"magicci" wrote:

i dont get BBQ

Okay...you ever seen a picture of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes on the back of a truck? Have you seen what he's doing? The 4-3 is Calvin. The 3-4 is the brand of truck that the driver doesn't like. Get it?

ultravikingfan
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
"BBQ Platypus" wrote:

"magicci" wrote:

i dont get BBQ

Okay...you ever seen a picture of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes on the back of a truck? Have you seen what he's doing? The 4-3 is Calvin. The 3-4 is the brand of truck that the driver doesn't like. Get it?

:lol: Awesome!!!

magicci
03-14-2005, 03:08 PM
no i have no idea what that is sorry

parsongeorge
03-14-2005, 03:14 PM
I like the 4-3 better only because I'm used to it and i like having more guys up on the line. There are alot of teams however, that do quite well with the 3-4....but I heard Napolean was excited about going back to the 4-3 where he excelled before...So lets just stay 4-3 and see how it goes.

Vikes
03-14-2005, 04:16 PM
"IdahoViking" wrote:

As the Vikes stack thier D-Fense, and they are doing a great job, it seems more and more evident that we are setting ourselves up to play the 3-4 next season. We all know that the key to this defense is a run stopper in the middle(Pat WIlliams), speed at linebacker(Harris and Thomas), cover corners(Winfield and Smoot) who are now the best tandem in the league by the way, and finally Head hunting Safeties(Chavios and Sharper), not to mention the potential with Howard in New Orleans of Darius in Jacksonville possibly becoming Vikings. It could be the best anticipated year since 98, minus that gol 'darnit Kick

3-4 baby!!!! We need turnovers.

vikes09
03-14-2005, 07:27 PM
how is running a 3-4 going 2 improve our chances of getting turnovers???

olson_10
03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
i dont trust having that many of our LB's on the field since theyre all completely lost in any kind of coverage

Guruzen
03-14-2005, 08:17 PM
"Potus2028" wrote:

and why would you say the D has no chem... they havent even gone to camp yet...you say it like they've been playing together for years and that they dont even acknowledge eachother as a team... be optomistic.. why not #1 defense..


1. LB's are young. Very talented but young. This is the major problem with upgrading via the draft. The Vikes learned that the hard way which is why we're so active in free agency this year.

2. Besides K-Will, we have no pass rush. Udeze was a disappointment and Mixon is not what he used to be. How many times did we see a QB burn us after holding onto the ball for like 10 seconds while the D line waltzes in the trenches?

3. Lack of leadership. Chavous was really the only vocal leader on the D last year and he had a mediocre year. Winfield and K-Will, the best D players are too quiet. We need a big mouth back there that commands respect and will kick your ass if you misbehave. Eg RAY LEWIS.

4. Clock management. A vertical offense that can score at will doesn't help the D at all. How many times last year did our D wear out during the game because the offense scored way too quickly? Not that it's a bad thing, but the offense needs to control the clock to give the D time to rest.

We'll be a lot better this year with the FA additions, but we need more pass rush and time for the players to gel. Probably top 15 this year, top 10 the next :)

Angryviking
03-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Ya i'm looking forward to seeing the new offense without Moss. Ya it was great to score fast and all, but that didnt help our defense at all. We should see some better clock management this year from the offense.

vikes09
03-15-2005, 03:46 PM
i think udeze proved to be a MAJOR contribution. he was hurt. he played hurt. he still got 5 sacks. tice siad if we got 10 games out of him hed be a steal. well, we got 16 1/2 games w/ him. watch next year he will be a machine.

sitandbehitski
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
"vikes09" wrote:

i think udeze proved to be a MAJOR contribution. he was hurt. he played hurt. he still got 5 sacks. tice siad if we got 10 games out of him hed be a steal. well, we got 16 1/2 games w/ him. watch next year he will be a machine.

Agreed, Udeze wasn't a dissapointment, if anything he was a huge suprise!! He proved his toughness, and hopefully with a healthy shoulder and a year under his belt will be ready to be an every-down guy. Udeze is going to be a stud, maybe not like KWill, but a stud nontheless.

cajunvike
03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
"sitandbehitski" wrote:

"vikes09" wrote:

i think udeze proved to be a MAJOR contribution. he was hurt. he played hurt. he still got 5 sacks. tice siad if we got 10 games out of him hed be a steal. well, we got 16 1/2 games w/ him. watch next year he will be a machine.

Agreed, Udeze wasn't a dissapointment, if anything he was a huge suprise!! He proved his toughness, and hopefully with a healthy shoulder and a year under his belt will be ready to be an every-down guy. Udeze is going to be a stud, maybe not like KWill, but a stud nontheless.

Make that three votes for UDZ...he will be a force next year...healthy, more experienced, better secondary...oh, did I mention healthy? Look out, QBs!!!