PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Talent?

michaelmazid
03-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I never thought I would say this but I am starting too get a little worried about all these free agent signings. I can't help but to think about the L.A Lakers of last year with the addition of malone and payton. C. Chavous is plenty good and I don't really feel that we need D.Darius. We need a reciever and I dont think that we need Plex at all. Lets not forget M.Robinson is a very good reciever but was overlooked a lot last year because of presence of moss. He kicked major but the year before at baltimore. I don't know. Hopefully I am wrong but the more big name people we sign, the more I think about the Lakers and high expectations that follow the signing of these major players. let me know what you guys think. :scratch:

coreyd
03-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, I think the key that will make us a championship team is not the names. I think it will be having them work together as a team, and not as individuals.

DrSwerve
03-12-2005, 06:34 PM
But the Lakers made the NBA Finals last season. The Vikes haven't made the SB in a long time. The part of the Laker analogy that worries me though is the fact that the Lakers traded away Shaq this off-season for nothing, and now they suck. Hopefully, the Moss deal doesn't set us back. Time will tell.

NeoVikesTX
03-12-2005, 06:34 PM
We probably won't sign Darius now that we have Sharper. Let's face it, we needed more talent on defense, and now we are getting it. I also think we will draft a good WR with one of our 1st round picks. Burress can go to Philly and be behind TO for all I care.

Lakers and Malone and Payton is not a good example. They are both way out of their prime, the guys we are signing still have a lot of game left.

The Vikings we once knew I believe will be much different come next season. Look for the defense to shine and the offense to do just enough to get the job done.

chippewavike
03-12-2005, 06:36 PM
stats don't mean a thing, it's team work, and how you do every single snap and how hungray you are, thats what makes a good football player.

RK.
03-12-2005, 07:03 PM
It will come down now to coaching. Last year I didn't think that Cotrell did a very good job. Maybe its because he didn't have the players he needed in the secondary. This year there will be no excuse. If he can't put together a great defense with these players he sucks and needs to be fired. :)

DiehardVikesFan
03-12-2005, 07:27 PM
There is no such thing as too much talent, but when you bring a bunch of new players in you have to get them to gel and play together, which is what I am somewhat worried about.

finnishvikingsfan
03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
The only thing that is the problem with to much talent is the people that think they are above the team and complain all the time and usually after that those guys get cut or traded. Such as CB's Eric Kelly and Walker.

KJ
03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
The Cowboys and Niners back in the day were stocked. They didn't have any problems :)

mark
03-12-2005, 07:36 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

I never thought I would say this but I am starting too get a little worried about all these free agent signings. I can't help but to think about the L.A Lakers of last year with the addition of malone and payton. C. Chavous is plenty good and I don't really feel that we need D.Darius. We need a reciever and I dont think that we need Plex at all. Lets not forget M.Robinson is a very good reciever but was overlooked a lot last year because of presence of moss. He kicked major but the year before at baltimore. I don't know. Hopefully I am wrong but the more big name people we sign, the more I think about the Lakers and high expectations that follow the signing of these major players. let me know what you guys think. :scratch:

That crossed my mind , one team i thought of was the yankees. But it all comes down to chemestry you can have the best talent but if you have a bunch of egos your done. I thing the viks had that in mind sighning these guys and well be just fine. I think we got 3 more wins in us.

ultravikingfan
03-12-2005, 07:48 PM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

We probably won't sign Darius now that we have Sharper. Let's face it, we needed more talent on defense, and now we are getting it. I also think we will draft a good WR with one of our 1st round picks. Burress can go to Philly and be behind TO for all I care.

Lakers and Malone and Payton is not a good example. They are both way out of their prime, the guys we are signing still have a lot of game left.

The Vikings we once knew I believe will be much different come next season. Look for the defense to shine and the offense to do just enough to get the job done.

Not with Pep it won't.

XTAP59
03-12-2005, 09:43 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

Robinson did what at Baltimore last year?......
He was adequate at best. And thats being nice. Robinson was adequate as well this year with Minny with several flashes but also some blackouts.
We need a premier receiver signed before the draft.

briboy75
03-13-2005, 02:57 AM
"finnishvikingsfan" wrote:

The only thing that is the problem with to much talent is the people that think they are above the team and complain all the time and usually after that those guys get cut or traded. Such as CB's Eric Kelly and Walker.

The last problem Eric, and Denard have is too much talent.

briboy75
03-13-2005, 02:59 AM
We go 8 and 8, lose our best player, and people are complaining about too much talent? Isn't there something better to complain about?

Marsh
03-13-2005, 03:51 AM
In my opinion, you cant really compare basketball and football. In basketball, in these modern times the pro game has become a selfish sport, everyone on the court wants to shoot (even more so when you throw together four guys like the Lakers did, each with hall of fame credentials), with a few exceptions who know their role is defense and/or rebounding.

To me, football is the ultimate team game. Players roles are clearly defined, unlike basketball. They all know they make the game easier on eachother when they do their jobs. In football, I honestly don't believe its possible to have too much talent. I know some people frequently point to the fact that the Patriots dont have the most talented guys, that may be true, but they don't really have many weak spots either, by a combonation of scheme and personnel.

The problems you mentioned that the Lakers had were caused by a combonation of things, that I cannot see happening to the Vikings team. The root of the problem was Kobe's selfishness, they certainly could have stretched the Finals out, had they pounded the ball to Shaq more. Karl Malone was injured, and he was the one guy who held that team together through all the turmoil. And Gary Payton had a number of problems, including being past his prime, and he wasn't a fit for the system, Gary wanted to push the tempo, while the triangle is a half-court set offense. I just cannot see that sort of series of problems and issues developing on a football team, particularily on the defensive side of the ball where a player isn't worried about touches, and where you rely so much on the guy next to you to do his assignment on each play.

whackthepack
03-13-2005, 08:03 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

All the people we have added will benefit the team, we had to upgrade talent we had on defense! And this is not the NBA, look what adding TO and the freak did for Philly last year!

I would still like to see them add good to great a WR, DE and another LB! If we did that and made a trade for Edgerin James and got rid of Ontarrio and Bennett! Super Bowl baby!!

michaelmazid
03-14-2005, 04:03 PM
I just used the lakers as an example. Maybe not the best example in the world but you guys understand what my point was. I am gonna kill myself if our defense is not in the top 15 in 2005 :angryfire:

ultravikingfan
03-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I could care less. As long as we are winning games and more importantly, Playoff Games!

PAvikesfan
03-14-2005, 04:12 PM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

There is no such thing as too much talent, but when you bring a bunch of new players in you have to get them to gel and play together, which is what I am somewhat worried about.

yep. we are adding qualitiy players to go with the team already. can't have too much talent when it comes to a team game. everybody just needs to do their job and our new O coordinator and Catrell need to make the right decisions. at this point, it is on the coaches' shoulders on how well we play. period.

collegeguyjeff
03-14-2005, 11:27 PM
these are the vikings not the timberwolves