PDA

View Full Version : Tice Gone?

ADubya26
03-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Over at the KFAN message board, someone claims to have inside knowledge that Tice will be fired/resign in the next 1-2 weeks. I believe they said this before I heard anything about the scalping accusations.

Im not sure how you all feel, but I believe it. Remember when Red actually came out and said he was close to firing Tice last year? Now why would he say that? And now this whole scalping dilemma Tice is in now, I can see it happening.

I think a new head coach is something we need. The quesiton is: Who?

XxS2TheEvoxX
03-08-2005, 11:18 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

Over at the KFAN message board, someone claims to have inside knowledge that Tice will be fired/resign in the next 1-2 weeks. I believe they said this before I heard anything about the scalping accusations.

Im not sure how you all feel, but I believe it. Remember when Red actually came out and said he was close to firing Tice last year? Now why would he say that? And now this whole scalping dilemma Tice is in now, I can see it happening.

I think I'm possibly one of the only people who like Tice as our coach.

ultravikingfan
03-08-2005, 11:20 PM
"XxS2TheEvoxX" wrote:

"ADubya26" wrote:

I think I'm possibly one of the only people who like Tice as our coach.

I like him too. Yes he has made some bad choices, but he is our coach and stand behind him.

muchluv4smoot
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

I think it's BS, like most of the stupid rumors over there. It makes no sense to fire a head coach right before the draft. There are also really no good candidates out there right now. I am one of the biggest supporters of firing Tice, but it's too late now. We are stuck with him for one more year and then we will see.

triedandtruevikesfan
03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm calling BS on this too... I for one am a fan of Tice...

randy--moss
03-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Whatever coach tice says, I got his back..

Straight cash homiE!

ADubya26
03-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I think he is a cool guy, but not a good coach.

What kind of coach calls their players "dawg", "homey", etc.? He is way to much of a friend to the players - thats why they like him so much.

Personally, I think players have to respect their coaches, not necessarily like them. The liking part comes with winning.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-08-2005, 11:28 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

What kind of coach calls their players "dawg", "homey", etc.? He is way to much of a friend to the players - thats why they like him so much.

Personally, I think players have to respect their coaches, not necessarily like them. The liking part comes with winning.

The more people like him, the more they come to our team, the more rings the vikes get.

muchluv4smoot
03-08-2005, 11:33 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"ADubya26" wrote:

The more people like him, the more they come to our team, the more rings the vikes get.

Sure, it does help to get FA's to come here, but it doesn't help when trying to coach these players and discipline them. I have always said I like what he has done, as far as turning around the amount of talent on this team, I just don't think he is a good coach on game day.

ADubya26
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
There is a big difference between how players like a guy like Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Bill Parcells, etc. and how our players like Tice.

briboy75
03-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Maybe if he didn't make minimum wage, he wouldn't have scalped?

Not that thats an excuse.

briboy75
03-08-2005, 11:56 PM
If he is out, who is the coach? Cotrell?

vkstillidie
03-09-2005, 12:23 AM
firing Tice at this time will have some setback on the team. A lot of players like Tice and it will only upsets them. Man.. we are already facing all the posibble problem a NFL franchise can take...change of ownership, moss leaving, cheapskate owner..stadium issue...and the list goes on. you don't wanna add a new topic to that. :roll:

ADubya26
03-09-2005, 12:24 AM
From ESPN Board, check it out:

If the stories are true about Tice being involvedin Ticket scalping he may be fired before the end of the week and Eagles Def cordinator Jim Johnson offered the job. McCombs asked for and was given permission to interview him before the playoffs started but he only had a phone conversation with him. I know this may sound bogus but my guy at The Sporting News just gave me the info and I am passing it on. Like he said if nothing comes from all this than Tice will remain coach for one more year. Also says that the Vikes will sign Plax and are just waiting to see what the Giants set for the market. Just giving you what he gave me.

Is Jim Johnson Red's mystery guy he had picked out during the season? I would crap myself if we got him. Can you say top 10 defense and Superbowl?

dauntefan
03-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Tice relates to his players well, but he is a horrible coach. He had way too much talent on the team to be under .500 as a coach.

randy--moss
03-09-2005, 01:10 AM
hey hey hey
remember

"All i know, is that, whatever coach tice says, i got his back"

============================
Straight cash homey $$$$

randy--moss
03-09-2005, 01:10 AM
"randy--moss" wrote:

hey hey hey
remember

"All i know, is that, whatever coach tice says, i got his back"

hehehe, i think thats why randy got the heck out, haha, just kiddin!

============================
Straight cash homey $$$$

randy--moss
03-09-2005, 01:11 AM
wow i hit quote rather then edit,

please,call me an idiot...

or just call me

Coach tice

VikingsTw
03-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Whats up with the straight cash homie, isn't that some remark moss made to reporters about that moon fine?

randy--moss
03-09-2005, 01:16 AM
It was when he was asked how he was going to pay it, and they asked him if he wrote checks, he said he doesnt, and they asked

"Hey randy, how you going to pay then"

Moss laugh**

Randy then said "Straight cash homey"

Ha, it was all to funny.

PurpleAndy
03-09-2005, 01:35 AM
I heard that Tice will be fired tomorrow, and his replacement will be Buddy Ryan. Ryan is expected to resign Cris Carter to a 10 year/$120 million dollar contract, on account of all he does is catch touchdowns. Ryan is also expected to hire Marty Morningweg as his offensive coordinator and Dave Wannstedt. He will, of course, coach the defense himself.

Get off of Tice's nuts.

EvilKokonut
03-09-2005, 01:39 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/03/08/banks.tice/index.html

Purple Dragoon
03-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Jim Johnson?

HMMMMM...

You know, that wouldn't be so bad at all. I wouldn't mind him calling the D's plays at all...

Interesting.

DrSwerve
03-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Maybe that rumor that Red was trying to get old Bud Grant out of retirement was actually a bit of foreshadowing of things to come.

XxS2TheEvoxX
03-09-2005, 04:33 AM
"PurpleAndy" wrote:

I heard that Tice will be fired tomorrow, and his replacement will be Buddy Ryan. Ryan is expected to resign Cris Carter to a 10 year/$120 million dollar contract, on account of all he does is catch touchdowns. Ryan is also expected to hire Marty Morningweg as his offensive coordinator and Dave Wannstedt. He will, of course, coach the defense himself.

Get off of Tice's nuts.

LMFAO, that's great.

DaScRuM
03-09-2005, 06:42 AM
I'd rather see Red out of here first.

Then deal with Tice's problem.

The biggest problem I saw is that this was not the ideal situation for a rookie coach (not that there is one, I guess).

Most people seemed to agree that Tice was not ready for this big of step, but, like they say---you get what you pay for.

I support coach Tice, and thought he did a pretty good job last year, all things considered. I would like to see him stay for another year and see if he can take another big step.

But, we'll have to see where this investigation goes. I just hope dear ol' Red will stay under the radar until this thing is done.

Ya' hear me RED?!?!?!?!

I didn't think so.

Del Rio
03-09-2005, 06:57 AM
I would take Jim Johnson in a Fricken heartbeat. Send the gorilla packing tired of his press confrences where his excuses are well............we should be winning..................

Bring in Jim, his defensive mind set is exactly what we need. He is a big name he will attract some other big names to come to his staff.

vixtalkn
03-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Whoa baby ... the hits just keep on comin'! :cheers:

shockzilla
03-09-2005, 07:45 AM
I for one am sticking with Tice. If we believed every rumor we heard, Tom Clancy would be owning the team...

Unless things change, I'm sticking with "the Gorilla".

Del Rio
03-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Sounds like more then a rumor to me. If they make an example out of him he is gone. And no tears would be shed by me.

jackyl
03-09-2005, 08:05 AM
"DrSwerve" wrote:

Bud Grant out of retirement
What a joke. :lol:

VKG4LFE
03-09-2005, 08:07 AM
I like Tice as our coach!

Del Rio
03-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Bud Grant is ancient.

Jim Johnson would be an improvement, well on paper anyways :D

That would suck for Tice though to finally have a team that you have been trying to get and then get canned. LMAO! Good stuff.

AngloVike
03-09-2005, 08:11 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Sounds like more then a rumor to me. If they make an example out of him he is gone. And no tears would be shed by me.
Anyone see this as being a way of changing the coaching staff before we even get to the Draft ? McCombs was backed into a corner a bit over exercising Tice's additional years extension, given that plus Red considered firing Tice in order to gee up Moss then anything is possible.
Whose not to say that the 'whistle blower' who flagged these allegations is not doing some dirty work on behalf of someone.
This could be interesting over the next day or two

hailtocarter
03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

I'm calling BS on this too... I for one am a fan of Tice...

I'm a fan of Tice as well. As many of you who have played ball know, it's good for the head coach to relate well to the players and give a lot of the hard a$$ responsibilities to the other coaches, or vice versa. You gotta have a coach that's more a friend to the players, but still have a staff that lets the players know who's boss. I see Tice as the guy who the players can relate to, and I think he's still learning, also, but It's almost like sayin that Gardenhire is the problem with the team (Twins) not making it to the next level. I hope I'm right, but I believe that with the right team and staff, Tice could be seen as a very good coach. He really hasn't been given a great scenario, with the owner situation and all, so the blame shouldn't be put on his shoulders. Hopefully we get to see what he can accomplish with a better team next year. I really hope this whole thing all passes by and we can just forget about it. Plus my roommate is a Bears fan and he thinks this is hilarious and that they're gonna take the division, and I just can't fathom that idea. Oh BTW I have some family that knows some people in the organization and they seem to think Tice really loves the players, which makes me like him even more.

Del Rio
03-09-2005, 08:19 AM
I read the article off of Fox Sports it seems this isn't a new thing to Tice and has been going on since 1996. It is well documented and there seem to be a lot of people who know about this. I don't think it is a question of did he do it. It is a question of what is the league going to do about it.

I remember a few months ago people laughing at the fact Moss was going to be traded. Calling it ridiculous. Reality check.....he's gone. ANd it got quite from all the people screaming insanity. Tark had a good post on our season turned out he was right he took some serious heat for that. It got quiet.

After all that has gone on I wouldn't be surprised if we lose our head coach. I don't like the guy. I definately do not like the schemes he runs. But the more I think about it the more I realize this is not the time for this short of change I take my statements back and give the gorilla one more year.

VKG4LFE
03-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Well the Twins' problem is that they have to compete with the likes of Boston and NY, but I don't want to get into that, I'll get too heated!! As for Tice, I like the fact that he gets along with his players. I don't think he should be all buddy buddy with them, he is still the head coach and ultimately he has to lay down the law! Having good repoire (sp?) with the players and being all buddy buddy are completely different things if you ask me!

hailtocarter
03-09-2005, 08:26 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Well the Twins' problem is that they have to compete with the likes of Boston and NY, but I don't want to get into that, I'll get too heated!! As for Tice, I like the fact that he gets along with his players. I don't think he should be all buddy buddy with them, he is still the head coach and ultimately he has to lay down the law! Having good repoire (sp?) with the players and being all buddy buddy are completely different things if you ask me!

Yea I know the Twins' situation is different, but I've just seen the same criticisms about the "head coaching" position made, and I don't buy into it.

Vikes
03-09-2005, 11:41 AM
"ADubya26" wrote:

Tice should have been fired A LONG TIME AGO!!! My first post ever was Tice is not a good coach! This ticket thing is funny, everyone in the league does it. But Tice is just a bad coach.

WI-ULT-MOSS-FAN
03-09-2005, 11:50 AM
"as all I know is when coach Tice says whose got my back"?

"I got his back"

Freya
03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Updated: Mar. 9, 2005, 11:43 AM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice met Tuesday with NFL security officials looking into possible scalping of Super Bowl tickets, he told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Tice told Mortensen that he scalped Super Bowl tickets as an assistant coach, but that he did not as the head coach of the Vikings. Tice told Mortensen that he told assistants that it was OK to sell Super Bowl tickets to a ticket agency in California.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2008348

PAvikesfan
03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
i'll shed tears if the replacement ends up being from within again... if that happens and our TE or Oline coach gets the nod, we will be fucked! no one has taken into account that this is red and he won't sign a huge coach after he just signed three kickass FA's.

PAvikesfan
03-09-2005, 01:25 PM
oh by the way, i would not be suprised if red was the one who told on Tice...setting him up so he can hire a nephew or something to coach the team.

RK.
03-09-2005, 02:27 PM
If Tice is charged he can be fired without buying out his contract I believe. I assume that a criminal action is considered a breach of his contract. Red saves 1 million $. If Red is looking for a reason to get rid of him this could be it. I read in another thread that the NFL is putting off voting on the Fowler deal. Not a good sign for it being approved IMO. Maybe a reason that this stuff about Tice is suddenly coming up now.

sabatajh
03-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I seriously dont see red firing mike tice dont get me wrong hes dumb but not stupid you dont tell fans your trading the best player in the history of the franchise to stick by the coach and then look for a reason to fire the coach... he is a smart business man.. cheap as H*ll but smart.... i look at a fine from the league and nothing more.... lets not forget the person who made these aligations said they had an axe to grond with tice so there is obviously an alternate agenda but i believe we are giving red to much credit

ultravikingfan
03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
"jackyl" wrote:

"DrSwerve" wrote:

Bud Grant out of retirement
What a joke. :lol:

Les Steckyl

RK.
03-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Maybe our resident lawyer can provide some insight into what the ramifications of the allegations are for Tice. Maybe a fine? Maybe suspension? Was it only NFL rules broken or is there some legal complication involving the law? I haven't read anywhere about how serious these charges really are. :?:

ADubya26
03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I dont know about all of you, but I have a feeling Fowler is behind a lot of what has been going on lately. Moss trade, our FA signings, and if Tice is fired I will almost be sure of it.

VKG4LFE
03-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, if Fowler is behind this all and he does fire Tice, does anybody think we will have a black coach next? Not trying to bring up the race issue at all, but it's just a thought. I don't care one way or another, just creating conversation.

vikez06
03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
tice is a horrible coach

ultravikingfan
03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
"vikez06" wrote:

tice is a horrible coach

I say give him a chance with a newer look to our team, he could turn out to be not that bad at all.

sitandbehitski
03-09-2005, 06:22 PM
If we were gonna get a black coach than we should have signed Romeo Crennel, otherwise no one I can think of that would make a good coach.

VikesFan111
03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
"ADubya26" wrote:

From ESPN Board, check it out:

If the stories are true about Tice being involvedin Ticket scalping he may be fired before the end of the week and Eagles Def cordinator Jim Johnson offered the job. McCombs asked for and was given permission to interview him before the playoffs started but he only had a phone conversation with him. I know this may sound bogus but my guy at The Sporting News just gave me the info and I am passing it on. Like he said if nothing comes from all this than Tice will remain coach for one more year. Also says that the Vikes will sign Plax and are just waiting to see what the Giants set for the market. Just giving you what he gave me.

Is Jim Johnson Red's mystery guy he had picked out during the season? I would crap myself if we got him. Can you say top 10 defense and Superbowl?

That would be freaking awesome to have Jim Johnson. Our defense would be great. Then maybe we would draft DJ and Mark Clayton in the first.

VikesFan111
03-09-2005, 06:51 PM
oops! Double clicked.

dopenose420
03-09-2005, 07:08 PM
everyone don't get your hopes up for jim johnson, he re-signed with philly just a couple years ago, if not even before last season. and he has stated before that he doesn't want to be a head coach. he just doesn't think he has it in him to handle all the responsibilities (sp?) and feels much more comfortable just being in charge of the defense.

as far as all this tice stuff is concered, well i have a feeling he'll get just a big fine to set an example. he won't get sh!t canned though. if he does, dear god we might be screwed. mccombs will be to cheap to sign someone worth anything and i sure as hell don't wanna see cottrell as our head coach when he can't even coach a defense.

why must our organization be so piss poor :(

mark
03-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Another stupid rumor I hope.I dont really like tice but things are going good right now and I dont want anything to get in the way.but the people making decisions know more than we do so im sure we will be fine. Sorry if i repeated anything but im in a hurry and skiped right to the end. This took me about 45 minutes to type

skogs02
03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
"vixtalkn" wrote:

Whoa baby ... the hits just keep on comin'! :cheers:LOL!!...i can just laugh that right now.So far we are having a hell of a offseason and all the packers are doing is cutting players.

LosAngelis
03-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I heard a radio guy say that he knew for sure there was an assistant coach in GB who does the same thing with Super Bowl tickets.

I have no doubt its done all over the league.

I don't doubt this is a bit of a smear campaign against Tice. But, from what I am reading, the neanderthal was about as good as covering his tracks as Scott Peterson.

He's as good as gone. And you can only get better regardless of who you hire to replace him.

vikinggreg
03-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Bring Tony Dungy back

elgordo
03-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I think that Tony already has a pretty good gig. LMAO

XTAP59
03-09-2005, 10:32 PM
it would seem that Red is doing everything he can to undermine the deal between Fowler and himself. He trades Moss for nothing, pockets several million in the deal, even after fowler said he was adamantly against trading Moss.
Then he comes out and says he almost fired Tice to inspire Moss. Why the frick would he say this now, after Tice is gone? What is the benefit?
Does Red think he can now get more money for the Vikies and is trying to end his deal with Fowler?.....

vikingsdiva
03-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Definately leaves alot to ponder. But sometimes I think we blamed coach Tice for things he had very little control over. Like how he handled Randy. So many people felt he needed to be reprimanded instead of coddled. I have no opinion on that. But after Red said he considered firing Tice to inspire Randy, I realized that so many issues were out of Coach Tice's control. Red hired Coach Tice to handle the team, but only in Red's way. Coach Tice's hands were tied. If he made Moss uncomfortable and disgruntled, Tice had red to deal with. If Red is gone I think Tice would be an even better coach.