PDA

View Full Version : AP Injury

Holzberg
09-19-2016, 09:52 AM
WIth the knee injury, what do you think the vikes will do if he is out for an extended time?

I for one thought Jhurell Pressley looked pretty good in the preseason and thought for sure he would have earned a spot. Ham is OK, but I liked Jhurell's quickness. He was released from the Packers, but might be going back there. Maybe we can sneak in and grab him back.

snowinapril
09-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Asiata and McKinnon are a good combo.

We need to fix our run blocking. Nobody will command 8 in the box like AP. Means Bradford has to do better than he did last night. Whether AP had a lot of yard or not, Bradford benefited.

What is the extend of APs injury? I need to scour the wire for info.

Holzberg
09-19-2016, 10:52 AM

We need to fix our run blocking. Nobody will command 8 in the box like AP. Means Bradford has to do better than he did last night. Whether AP had a lot of yard or not, Bradford benefited.

MRI was scheduled for this morning, but no announcement yet.

midgensa
09-19-2016, 10:53 AM
http://www.12up.com/posts/3809127-report-adrian-peterson-s-wife-provides-positive-injury-update-on-vikings-rb?a_aid=40241

Holding out hope that these are good signs!

midgensa
09-19-2016, 10:56 AM
http://www.12up.com/posts/3809127-report-adrian-peterson-s-wife-provides-positive-injury-update-on-vikings-rb?a_aid=40241

Holding out hope that these are good signs!

Of course there is this also ...

http://nesn.com/2016/09/vikings-adrian-peterson-has-some-ligament-damage-in-right-knee-per-report/

purplehelmut
09-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Torn meniscus. Just saw the report on SI.com. Not sure what prognosis is. Took Derrick Rose a good while before he was back.

snowinapril
09-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Mike Zimmer: Adrian Peterson's injury diagnosed as torn meniscus (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-zimmer-adrian-petersons-injury-diagnosed-as-torn-meniscus/)
If Peterson can't go on Sunday, that means that Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon will play instead

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer revealed on Monday that Peterson suffered a torn meniscus during Minnesota's Sunday night win over the Packers. During an interview with KFAN radio in Minneapolis, Zimmer said that despite the injury, he's not going to rule Peterson out for this Sunday's game at Carolina.

akapurpleblood32
09-19-2016, 05:43 PM
i like the one two punch of Matt and Mckinnon .

UKPurple
09-20-2016, 03:14 AM
If he is out for 8-10 weeks it won't be a bad thing. A fresh AP going into the business end when its colder will definitely benefit us!

MaxVike
09-20-2016, 08:05 AM

The Team is not better without AP...Zimmer's record with AP is 12-5, without him 6-9. The run blocking is awful and concerning, to be sure. The next two weeks, with a new QB, and without AP, will be a stern test, to be sure. But then again...so were the Packers. I think the overall Roster is better now than in the previous 15 games without AP, so, if the line can get it's shit together, I'm still optimistic.

Re: recovery time...lots of hearsay, speculation, opinions on timetable out there. Typical options are partial repair with 4+ weeks rest however, with long term risk to the knee. Total repair takes 4+ months of rest with less long term joint risks. We all know AP is far from typical. With a huge payday on the horizon in '17, I think he'll opt for the partial repair.

Skol Vikings!!!

Tad7
09-20-2016, 08:16 AM
I'm so glad it's not worse. I don't see anybody here saying we don't need AP any more, but I was seeing a lot of chatter other places about his 1.5 yards per carry being easy to replace. It's pretty obvious why Peterson can't run anywhere and it's obvious how it benefits the rest of the team so I'm pretty annoyed by that take.

jargomcfargo
09-20-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm so glad it's not worse. I don't see anybody here saying we don't need AP any more, but I was seeing a lot of chatter other places about his 1.5 yards per carry being easy to replace. It's pretty obvious why Peterson can't run anywhere and it's obvious how it benefits the rest of the team so I'm pretty annoyed by that take.

It isn't the 1.5 yards/ carry that can't be replaced. It's the fact that he draws enough defenders into the box to allow the passing game to work, despite poor pass protection.
The fear I have is there will be 7 in the box and the Vikings will still only average 1.5 yards/ carry due to nonexistent run blocking, and they will double cover Diggs.
The more optimistic perspective is Norv can use Mckinnon, Diggs, and Rudolph more effectively in the short passing game to set up the shots over the top.

Holzberg
09-20-2016, 04:01 PM
As the OL digresses, the need to stack the box will diminish and having AP in the backfield will not be fearful to any defense

snowinapril
09-21-2016, 02:42 AM
PrimeTime 21 stated that things changed when Peterson went out. They pulled the guys from the box and started to defend the pass. Peterson makes a difference.

KFAN idiots calling in today were stating we are better off without Peterson. Not true.

MaxVike
09-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Well...we have our answer. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson to have surgery, may miss 3-4 months...not a good outcome, but, the team will fight, for sure.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17602615/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-surgery-torn-meniscus

%thWave
09-21-2016, 12:03 PM
The link I read says 6 months recovery, whatever, it's a season without AD no doubt.

What's Ray Rice up to?

MaxVike
09-21-2016, 12:19 PM
The link I read says 6 months recovery, whatever, it's a season without AD no doubt.

What's Ray Rice up to?

Vikes signed Ronnie Hillman

jargomcfargo
09-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Depends on whether they can repair the meniscus or not. A repair will be around 3 months before a return to sporting activities. If they can't repair it, they will remove it, and he can return to sporting activities in about 6 weeks.

Leafman
09-23-2016, 08:28 AM
It isn't the 1.5 yards/ carry that can't be replaced. It's the fact that he draws enough defenders into the box to allow the passing game to work, despite poor pass protection.
The fear I have is there will be 7 in the box and the Vikings will still only average 1.5 yards/ carry due to nonexistent run blocking, and they will double cover Diggs.

This exactly. Peterson's production isn't what we'll miss, it's the fact that defenses know the only way to stop him is to stack the box, hit him early and and prevent him from getting a head of steam, and this defensive strategy opens up a lot for us in the passing game.

That has now changed. My feeling is McKinnon and Asiata will now have decent numbers and the running game will look vastly improved, but at the expense of the passing game and our ability to move the chains.

The only significant "positive" to losing AP is that our offense becomes much less predictable, as both McKinnon and Asiata can pick up blitzes and catch the ball out of the backfield.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN