PDA

View Full Version : Hello Sam Bradford

%thWave
09-03-2016, 09:58 AM
For a 1st in 2017 and a 4th in 2018,

mn_vikes61
09-03-2016, 10:50 AM
I like the trade a lot honestly. It's a gamble, but all situations are in the pickle we are in. We have failed miserably at addressing depth at the QB position over the years. We took flyers on project QBs like Joe Webb, Tyler Thigpen, Tarvaris Jackson and John David Booty. You're losing most of those games if those are your QBs, but at least we were still drafting QBs and trying to find a gem. During Frazier/Zim periods as HC, Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater, are the only QBs drafted by the Vikings. Giving up a first rounder hurts, but we are paying for our sins of failing to establish a strong QB to back up Teddy.

Once Bradford learns the playbook, which should be a quick study considering Shurmer was his OC last year in Philly, he instantly becomes an upgrade over anything we have on the roster. He completed 65% of his passes(throwing an average of 38/game), for 3,725 yards with 17 TDs, 12 INTs and a QBR of 86.4. We're not going to be asking Bradford to throw the ball close to 40 time per game unless a lot of things go really wrong for this team. The more I think about the signing the more I like it. Plus he also is a solid back up plan next season if Teddy has a hiccup with his PT or isn't ready for the start of next season or provides some competition next year so Teddy isn't just handed the gig

RK.
09-03-2016, 11:04 AM
I like it. I think he will start against Green Bay.

JeffSeimon
09-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I like it as well, just hope he can stay healthy. He has been injury prone all the way back to his days at Oklahoma.

MaxVike
09-03-2016, 12:02 PM
For a 1st in 2017 and a 4th in 2018,

The trade makes sense for the Vikes and the Eagles IMHO.
- We have 2 3rd and 2 4th Round picks in 2017, so, trading up is not out of the question.
- The Eagles pay $11MM of Bradford's salary this year.
- 2018 4th Round pick is Conditional
- Teddy's full recovery isn't guaranteed and could take up to 2 years.
- TE Coach Pat Shurmur coached Bradford in St. Louis and Philly.
- Bradford has never played for a good team and can make all the throws...play action long ball is definitely a threat.
- Demonstrates to existing Team and future potential Free Agents that the Vikes' Leadership is committed to winning.

Downside is definitely Bradford's past health and availability...Vikes clearly were not giving a #2 to Cleveland for McCown :clap: and McCarron was not an option.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this trade...I've always liked Bradford and thought he'd be good in the right situation. Hopfully, this is the right situation.

Skol Vikings!!!

vikinggreg
09-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Wow that was a big deal, hope Sam can stay healthy and this could workout. Much better than Sanchez or Kap.

midgensa
09-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I love this trade for a number of reasons.

Obviously ... I have not expressed a ton of love for Teddy ... but I certainly wish we had not had to deal with this exercise ... BUT ... Bradford is not a step back from Teddy and, personally, I think could be a step up.

Also, a deal like this shows that our front office and coach think we are REALLY good and do not want to throw a season away. They think we can be contenders now and are willing to make the moves to be that.

And ... I have no problem trading the No. 32 pick in the draft :)

scottishvike
09-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I was pretty happy to hear the news as most of the QB's that were being talked about were pretty much all back up type guys, Bradfords on a higher level than them, although him staying healthy is a big concern. Don't think we could have gotten any better with the bind we were in. The coaching connections also help and hopefully he can start sooner rather than later. After Teddy went down I did not think we could realistically contend this year with who we would bring in, I'm believing again and you can't ask for more than that going into week 1.

VikingMike
09-03-2016, 08:17 PM

Obviously ... I have not expressed a ton of love for Teddy ... but I certainly wish we had not had to deal with this exercise ... BUT ... Bradford is not a step back from Teddy and, personally, I think could be a step up.

Also, a deal like this shows that our front office and coach think we are REALLY good and do not want to throw a season away. They think we can be contenders now and are willing to make the moves to be that.

Lol, I love that...even though the 4th in 2018 can become a 2nd if we win the SB. I could easily live with that.

tommykramer
09-04-2016, 06:46 AM
He isnt Kaepernick but its about the same lol

he's better than Rex Grossman was.

Vikings will tare it up as the should

MaxVike
09-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Agreed... I live in Northern Delaware, in Eagles country. The obnoxious Eagles fans are showing their true ignorant and obnoxious colors. The same fans that were bitching about "mortgaging the future to get a Division II QB" are ridiculing me with nonsense. I told them to enjoy their 3-13 season, among other things.

Skol Vikings!!!

RK.
09-04-2016, 11:29 AM

+1 I think Sam Bradford will be better than Teddy would have been this year. For one thing he can already throw the deep ball. Second his size is a real plus. And third there is no question about being able to play at a high level. The question with Teddy was always would he be able to step up to a higher level. Bradford is already there.

mountainviking
09-04-2016, 12:07 PM
The trade makes sense for the Vikes and the Eagles IMHO.
- We have 2 3rd and 2 4th Round picks in 2017, so, trading up is not out of the question.
- The Eagles pay $11MM of Bradford's salary this year.
- 2018 4th Round pick is Conditional
- Teddy's full recovery isn't guaranteed and could take up to 2 years.
- TE Coach Pat Shurmur coached Bradford in St. Louis and Philly.
- Bradford has never played for a good team and can make all the throws...play action long ball is definitely a threat.
- Demonstrates to existing Team and future potential Free Agents that the Vikes' Leadership is committed to winning.

Downside is definitely Bradford's past health and availability...Vikes clearly were not giving a #2 to Cleveland for McCown :clap: and McCarron was not an option.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this trade...I've always liked Bradford and thought he'd be good in the right situation. Hopfully, this is the right situation.

Skol Vikings!!!

Championship windows tend to be very, very short, and fortunately for us, the Vikings seem to be on the verge of opening one up. This team is just too good to throw 2 seasons away hoping and praying that Teddy can come back strong. And, yes, I do feel like this move is a bit of an indication that we should be nervous about Teddy's recovery timeline and future.

IF he can stay healthy, Bradford may be an improvement, specially on the long ball play action fakes that Turner is known for and a RB like AD can deliver. Check out these two articles on PFF, Sam's #s are eerily close to Teddy's, and better in some areas, but most importantly to me,

Coming off of two injury-wrecked seasons of his own, Bradford played better than commonly assumed in 2015. After shaking off some rust, he was our seventh-highest-graded passer, ranked third in accuracy percentage, and led the league in accuracy percentage while under pressure.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/fantasy-football-stefon-diggs-adrian-peterson-biggest-winners-of-sam-bradford-trade/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-vikings-find-bridgewater-replacement-in-sam-bradford-trade/

Cautiously Optimistic seems the exact right 2 words for this situation.

On a side note, I think people have the Shurmer connection backwards...he helped bring Bradford here by knowing him and his work ethic etc. but, it is not a Shurmer offense and so assuming that connection will ease the learning curve is a mistake in my mind. What will ease the learning curve is that top 5 defense and running game taking real-time in-game pressure off of our new QB.

snowinapril
09-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Here is a link to stats
Bradford:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradSa00.htm
Bridgewater:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BridTe00.htm

Accuracy under pressure??....... He is going to need it or just get the ball away because you are prone to injury and you are not mobile. Stay on the field. Our OL has to be consistently better than last year.

Bradford was accurate last season in Philly, he improved his completion percentage 5 points. He was a 60% guy the first 4 years and last season he was 65%.

Deep ball, I saw glimpses of TB throwing nicely downfield this preseason. Hope Bradford can get on page with our WRs and the Playbook to throw downfield sooner than later.

Strap on the helmet and let's go.

thorshammer
09-04-2016, 03:06 PM
I like the trade and hope he stays healthy. If the O'line can protect him and he can learn the playbook quickly we could be very dangerous maybe even win it all. Skol.

akapurpleblood32
09-05-2016, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=thorshammer;1165510]I like the trade and hope he stays healthy. If the O'line can protect him and he can learn the playbook quickly we could be very dangerous maybe even win it all. Skol.[

i was excited for teddy and vikes this year .when teddy went down the wind went out off my sails ...but i like the this pick up ...we have the right formula for success... i feel we are improving in most areas defense o line wr ...and Bradford will get the job done ...DEFENSE WIN CHAMPOINSHIP ..

Dwangar
09-05-2016, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=thorshammer;1165510]I like the trade and hope he stays healthy. If the O'line can protect him and he can learn the playbook quickly we could be very dangerous maybe even win it all. Skol.[

i was excited for teddy and vikes this year .when teddy went down the wind went out off my sails ...but i like the this pick up ...we have the right formula for success... i feel we are improving in most areas defense o line wr ...and Bradford will get the job done ...DEFENSE WIN CHAMPOINSHIP ..

Best part is Bradford won't be asked too much other than protect the ball. He won't be asked to win the game other than maybe 3 or 4. Otherwise our D and run game should handle most. I think Bradford can handle that.

JPPT1974
09-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Well he is only there it seems for one year. As hopefully Teddy Bridgewater will recover from his injury. Sorry for him.

purplehelmut
09-06-2016, 08:41 AM
I think Vikes front office and coaching staff did about as good as they could do with what was available on the QB market. I've never been down on Bradford. He was hurt in St. Louis and not a good fit in Philly. He could be Cunningham reincarnated. I'd rater have Bradford than anyone else that was being talked about, except for AJ McCarron, and that wasn't happening.

purplehelmut
09-07-2016, 09:54 AM
If the rest of the Vikings team performs well, they might not need the quarterback to do much more than manage the game. And that's exactly how the Vikings are built- ball control and defense. There have been several less than stellar QBs that have won Super Bowl rings. Think about Dilfer, Plunkett, B. Johnson, Namath, Stabler, McMahon, Theisman, Rypien, Bradshaw, D. Williams. Most of those guys had below average stats and threw about as many INTs vs. TDs over their careers. If Bradford can take advantage of the team around him, the Vikings still can compete for the division.

C Mac D
09-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Only time will tell, but this seems like an awful trade for us. Classic Spielman. And here I thought the John Carlson signing would be his final stupid move as GM. Oh well, to be a Vikings fan I suppose.

Leveraging the future of the Vikings on an oft-injured 1st overall bust. Doesn't get much worse.

purplehelmut
09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
CMac, what move would you rather have Speilman make? I agree that the price is a bit high (1st rounder) but I don't see any other alternatives being discussed that would be better. I don't consider a 1st and a conditional 4th as "leveraging the future." I think the overriding concern with the Vikings is the future is now, or at least within the next two or three years. They had to get a QB, and I think they got the best guy available. Demand exceeds supply as far as QBs go, therefore the price goes up.

idahovikefan7
09-07-2016, 02:54 PM
CMac, what move would you rather have Speilman make? I agree that the price is a bit high (1st rounder) but I don't see any other alternatives being discussed that would be better. I don't consider a 1st and a conditional 4th as "leveraging the future." I think the overriding concern with the Vikings is the future is now, or at least within the next two or three years. They had to get a QB, and I think they got the best guy available. Demand exceeds supply as far as QBs go, therefore the price goes up.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Couldn't have been explained any better. There wasn't many options available out there. This is a "Win now" league. Yes the price was a bit steep, but IMO it was the best option they could make happen. Who would want to watch Shaun Hill for an entire season???

C Mac D
09-08-2016, 04:35 PM
We gave up a first round pick for Sam Bradford. Enough said.

purplehelmut
09-09-2016, 09:14 AM
You didn't answer my question. What deal would you rather see? And please don't say McCown. 37 year old "Never Was".

akapurpleblood32
09-09-2016, 07:46 PM
You didn't answer my question. What deal would you rather see? And please don't say McCown. 37 year old "Never Was".

i know im going hear crap from what im about to say ...Sam Bradford isnt that bad .yes his career looks bad but last year he got better as the season went on look up the stats..i saw his play improve too .he hasnt had the benefit of playing on a good team .every qb needs support ..this is his opportunity to show what he has ,bottom line if he stinks up the field ..then yes we made a bad trade ...can we win the division with SB yes .. we did it last year with teddy and look at his play ...we wont know until he plays ... im a beating man i say he will play well enough to win ...maybe not as good as a first rounder but good enough ...

%thWave
09-18-2016, 10:57 PM
And thanks for contributing to a great win Sam. Here's to many more....

thorshammer
09-18-2016, 11:07 PM
I wanted us to trade for Bradford. I think he will be great for us if the oline can play better. Tonight was proof. Hell of a win. Skol.

purplehelmut
09-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Bradford has a gun for an arm and seems very accurate. I had no idea he could get the ball into some of the spaces he did. Hope he keeps it up. If our sorry ass OL gives him time he will carve defenses up.

midgensa
09-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Bradford has always had a great arm. He has been stuck in an awful offense (St. Louis) and a gimmick offense that literally exposes their QB to way too many hits (Philly).

I think he might be our starting QB next year as well.

C Mac D
09-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Okay, I was wrong. Skol.

Tad7
09-20-2016, 08:13 AM
You're not wrong about the "oft-injured" part though. That's what can't happen!!

midgensa
09-20-2016, 09:24 AM
You're not wrong about the "oft-injured" part though. That's what can't happen!!

That is obviously a legitimate concern every time he gets hit.

UKPurple
09-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Especially with our Oline! I winced everytime he got hit. But with the same leakiness in the Oline he must have Teddy worried. He made tough through where Teddy wouldn't have...(I am a Teddy fan by the way but he had been shown up, albeit in only one week)

Easy2Bbisonfan
09-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Thank you Carson Wentz for being a stud so the Eagles could send us Bradford. I hope Bradford and Wentz both have a great year. I've always been a Vikings fan, but Wentz has made me an Eagles fan.

%thWave
09-20-2016, 03:58 PM
That is obviously a legitimate concern every time he gets hit.

No it's not. Did you not see the mammoth shots Sam took Sunday night? He was right back up and chuckin' it. He took epic shots last year in Philly. Only getting driven into the ground with defender right on top of him took him out a couple of games with a shoulder separation, AS IT WOULD HAVE ANY NFL QB.

His ACLs were freakish incidents...Reggie Bush's was very similar to Sam's first, slipping on one of those dang sheets they use to cover the stadium floor. Bush even sued the stadium...don't know how that came out.

Sajid2884
09-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Just hope the OL can hold up and protect this guy.

MaxVike
09-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Here's an interesting take by a couple of controversial journalists. Cowherd has been extremely critical of Bradford in the past...so, I find his take interesting. Have a watch...https://youtu.be/1JvzpvmGGU4

JPPT1974
09-20-2016, 09:45 PM
So far he won them the game against the heavily always nemesis the Packers. A great start so far.

%thWave
09-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Here's a bonus for Stefon: http://min.247sports.com/Bolt/Stefon-Diggs-named-NFC-Offensive-Player-of-the-Week--47651603

Leafman
09-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Bradford was a very good pick up.

I just hope it wasn't wasted because the worst Offensive Line in the league gets him killed (again).

With the additions of Boone, Smith and Coach Sparano I was cautiously optimistic that line play would be vastly improved ... I mean, how could it not be. They were atrocious last year and Bridgewater's production suffered tremendously as a result. But through 2 games this year, they actually look worse.

From this perspective, Kalil's injury might help as much as at hurts. Maybe this line just needed some time to gel, or maybe it just needs to be blown up and rebuilt. What I hope they do is move Boone to LT rather than put Clemmings there ... TJ just isn't ready to play that position yet. Then move Berger to LG and put Easton in at center, and just pray Fusco starts to figure it out at RG.

Otherwise, it is going to be a long season of relying on the defense to win every single week, and Bradford might not make it to the bye.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

UKPurple
09-23-2016, 09:39 AM
I would get Sully back in the middle and move Berger to RG and TJ at LT

purplehelmut
09-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Can we hire the Patriots OL coach?

Leafman
09-23-2016, 05:04 PM
I would get Sully back in the middle and move Berger to RG and TJ at LT

TJ Clemmings will get schooled at LT ... he's just not ready to play that position.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

akapurpleblood32
09-23-2016, 06:42 PM
TJ Clemmings will get schooled at LT ... he's just not ready to play that position.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Fusco isnt a bad o lineman .he is just light in the ass ..a 300 pound guy cant stop a bull rush of a guy listened at 340 gb has always like big fat run stoppers at tackle ..i bet he is heaver that 340

PurplePowerPunch
09-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Can Andre play LT? He did in college.

Leafman
09-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Can Andre play LT? He did in college.

I don't think people realize how incredibly technical every position on the Offensive Line is at the NFL level ... the most technical on the field. Unless you've been doing hundreds of reps weekly at the position, you don't have the footwork, handwork, punch-timing, balance or landmark awareness to handle the assignment at Left Tackle. While Right Tackle is similar, the application of all those physical and mental skills is reversed ... and before you say "big deal", think about what happens to switch hitters in baseball if they don't practice from both sides every day.

Clemmings isn't ready. He's been struggling to learn the RIGHT tackle position for going on 4 years now, and is struggling with the same issues he had at Pitt.

Now Alex Boone also played a lot of LT in college, and he has subbed at LT when necessary at the NFL level. I think he is much better prepared and would be far more effective if they shuffled him one spot out on the line and moved Berger to LG.

But apparently they're going with Clemmings today. Against Carolina. I hope Bradford survives the game....

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

MaxVike
09-25-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't think people realize how incredibly technical every position on the Offensive Line is at the NFL level ... the most technical on the field. Unless you've been doing hundreds of reps weekly at the position, you don't have the footwork, handwork, punch-timing, balance or landmark awareness to handle the assignment at Left Tackle. While Right Tackle is similar, the application of all those physical and mental skills is reversed ... and before you say "big deal", think about what happens to switch hitters in baseball if they don't practice from both sides every day.

Clemmings isn't ready. He's been struggling to learn the RIGHT tackle position for going on 4 years now, and is struggling with the same issues he had at Pitt.

Now Alex Boone also played a lot of LT in college, and he has subbed at LT when necessary at the NFL level. I think he is much better prepared and would be far more effective if they shuffled him one spot out on the line and moved Berger to LG.

But apparently they're going with Clemmings today. Against Carolina. I hope Bradford survives the game....

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Excellent post... I echo your sentiments re: Bradford vs the Panthers.

Dwangar
09-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Bradford appears to be the right move for the picks we gave up so far. But I have to say. Did you all notice the absolute duck he threw for the Rudolph TD. I mean I love it was a TD and was put in the right spot. But hilarious.

MaxVike
10-10-2016, 07:02 PM

Well, maybe not... Vikes are 5-0 (4-0 under Bradford) and he's #5 in Quarterback Rating and #5 in QBR through his first 4 games, after coming to the Vikes post Training Camp. Yesterday, he tied Brady for quickness of release at 1.98 seconds.

Yes, time will tell, but, as I said when Spielman pulled the trigger...he needed to make the trade.

Leafman
10-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Looking like that first round pick will be somewhere in the 29-32 area right now ... not really a valuable 1st round pick. Spielman is looking like more of a genius by the week....

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

RK.
10-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Sam Bradford will continue to improve. As I said when we signed him, he will shine in this environment and Teddy will have a hard time winning back the starting job. Sam is bigger, more accurate and has way more arm strength, and a quicker release. I personally do not think we would be 5-0 with Teddy at the helm. If Bradford continues to perform at the present level I think Teddy will have two or three years to recover fully before starting.

midgensa
10-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Sam Bradford will continue to improve. As I said when we signed him, he will shine in this environment and Teddy will have a hard time winning back the starting job. Sam is bigger, more accurate and has way more arm strength, and a quicker release. I personally do not think we would be 5-0 with Teddy at the helm. If Bradford continues to perform at the present level I think Teddy will have two or three years to recover fully before starting.

Teddy will likely leave if that is the case. We will not pick up his fifth year option for the ridiculous amount of money it will be. So, if Bradford is good enough to start over him next season, he will be good to start over him the season after that, which means Teddy will walk and start somewhere else.

Now, a ton can happen in the NFL ... so Teddy certainly could be the starter come day one next year ... but as Bradford shows how good he can be with actual weapons (same ones that Teddy had, BTW) on a regular basis, Teddy gets further and further from ever taking another snap in purple.

Some people are built like NFL QBs and just need the right situation, Bradford was one of those. He is not so good that he fits anywhere, but he is VERY GOOD with the right fit. My guess is he is the QB for the Vikes for the next five to 10 years.

jargomcfargo
10-11-2016, 12:05 PM

I agree. Bradford is who we hoped Teddy would become.

UKPurple
10-12-2016, 03:55 AM
The biggest knock last year was that the O-line was weak and the WRs weren't there for Teddy. (being a Teddy fan this is hard to say) but the O-line is still weak but Bradford is making throws and the WRs have only just improved but Bradford is making them look incredible. I would sign Teddy on a long term deal still as a back up. We know how important good back ups are!

midgensa
10-12-2016, 09:31 AM
The biggest knock last year was that the O-line was weak and the WRs weren't there for Teddy. (being a Teddy fan this is hard to say) but the O-line is still weak but Bradford is making throws and the WRs have only just improved but Bradford is making them look incredible. I would sign Teddy on a long term deal still as a back up. We know how important good back ups are!

I think Teddy could be a phenomenal backup ... and he certainly could be a starter in this league. I think he thinks he should start, which means a long term deal with him as the backup is very unlikely.

My biggest worry with Teddy as that this injruy will make him even more tentative than he already was. That will be a big problem for him when he comes back. He already struggled to let it rip and now he will be thinking about his knee as well.

This league is funny though, there is no doubt that Bradford could just start sucking for the rest of the season. So, lets hope Teddy gets back healthy and next season we should be golden with the two of them.