PDA

View Full Version : another great win

RK.
09-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Looked good again today. Considering how the niners are getting beat down I am amazed that we lost that game. Oh well we seem to have pulled it together,

Next week against the Broncos will be a real test of how good we are, I hope Rhodes is ok. We will need him against Payton Manning.

Go Vikes

C Mac D
09-28-2015, 12:46 AM
We looked very similar to the Childress-era Vikings. Felt like Tarvaris Jackson was back under center with Bridgewater throwing the ball… he was ranked 27th in yards (http://espn.go.com/nfl/weekly/leaders/_/type/passing) and 31st in QB rating (http://espn.go.com/nfl/weekly/leaders/_/type/passing/sort/qbrat) this week… possibly lower because ESPN doesn't even show weekly QB rankings below 30. He averaged 5 YPA, that's pitiful.

For the season, Bridgewater is 28th in yards (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2015/seasontype/2) and 17th in QB rating (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating). He has 384 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT through three games. These are not reassuring numbers.

Glad Peterson and the Defense showed up but without a legitimate QB, we know how this show ends.

digital420
09-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Great dominating win!

rivers was hit much like stafford.. often and hard.. we kept them out of sync for most of the game, and for the 2nd week in a row, knocked out the starting qb. the Dline manhandled SD's oline, the lb's kept the run game in check, and the cb's bent but didn't break.. until xavier's collision, man i hope he is ok. I'd hate to loose him for any given time, especially from a fluke play that shouldn't have happened. Barr is a beast.. and the Greenway pic six just showed what kind of team we are. i saw Dlinemen still running with that convoy to make sure that he got the 91 yrd td.

offensively Teddy did look jittery @ first, but settled. his numbers won't be called amazing, and this week i wouldn't call him efficient, but he did hit 6 different receivers, and spread the ball when needed. he woulda had a TD toss but he underthrew it? and the int. just seemed like a bad play turned worse. he did settle down, and he managed the game after that.

RB's stuck in there, and AP did what he does.. he's not AD yet.. but i think the legs and lungs are starting to come back to the AD lvl. I think Line must have one of the best FB running stasts in the history of the vikings. 2yrds, 2 tds on 2 touches..

the oline did well, not great, not poor. no sac's but a few hits on teddy, i am very glad we wern't in the oline dominos SD had to go through in this game.

walsh, first perfect game of the year, now lets string 16 more of those together.

very entertaining game, dad and i had a lot of laughs watching this one, SKOOOOLL

DiGiTaL

snowinapril
09-28-2015, 02:10 AM
I think that AD dictates what kind of QB play we are going to get.

The other thing to consider is we don't have a great line to provide the protection that is needed for Teddy. He is going to look like Rivers if we ask him to throw more often.

I think that part of the problem is when you have AP on the team, he is going to get his. Everyone emulates him, he is on a pedestal. The only way this works is if he emulates you as the QB, kinda like Favre.

I can still take pleasure in the win. I thoroughly enjoyed the defense today. Man, Rivers is going to be sore. I was pleasantly surprised with Waynes after Rhodes went out. But it also revealed (what we already knew) that Waynes has a ways to go yet. I was happy for Greenway and his TD. This has to be his last season and I hope that he gets one more TD before it is done.

AngloVike
09-28-2015, 05:24 AM
A good win and glad to see Peterson get back on track with his play, clearly the first couple of games was knocking the rust off. Despite what some say I was happy with Teddy yesterday, yes he did look nervy to start but settled down and made some nice passes. Was he playing like a Brady or Rodgers? no but that's not the way our offense is being set up to play. For those who felt he was like Tarvaris Jackson then I suggest you book into the opticians first opportunity and get your eyes checked. Most fans look and don't feel their stomachs churn in fear when Bridgewater takes to the field unlike the days when Jackson was about. I liked Wallace who had a couple of nice grabs and looks to work well with Teddy so far this season.
The DL got some good pressure on as well, which was helped by SD's OL problems but that's the nature of the game. Waynes did well when Rhodes went out of the game and hopefully settled himself into the pros a little more - he'll need that if Rhodes isn't cleared for next week.
In all a game that was enjoyable to watch and hopefully we can continue to build on that.

VikingsFan1234
09-28-2015, 05:53 AM
Looked good again today. Considering how the niners are getting beat down I am amazed that we lost that game. Oh well we seem to have pulled it together,

Next week against the Broncos will be a real test of how good we are, I hope Rhodes is ok. We will need him against Payton Manning.

Go Vikes

How can you be amazed? Did you forget that the Vikings have been a terrible road team for years? You should have known better

purplehelmut
09-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Not bad but definitely room for improvement. Teddy needs to step it up but he's not killing us. If Rudolph had his head out of his ass Bridge's stats would have looked much better. The INT wouldn't have happened for one. INT was a poor pass that needed to go outside but was thrown inside for some inexplicable reason. The offense revolves around the rush and Peterson so Teddy is not going to have big numbers. He threw 24 times which is about right for this offense. Going 3 for 9 on third down is a concern. That needs to get better. Like the Vikings teams of old, the defense is setting the tone. It only ranks 18 in total defense but is only giving up 16.6 per game, which we can live with. Rushing offense is currently third in NFL. All this is in line with the philosophy of a ball control offense and a good defense to win games. Hopefully we get the offense to step it up and we could be very good. Interesting test against Manning on the road next week.

drewlovs
09-28-2015, 01:04 PM
TB is growing up before our eyes... remember, he is the youngest starting QB in the NFL at 21. I am happy with his progress. I think the Niner game came down to the whole "MNF with 50 million watching" and TB getting panicky. THAT was the game where we should have leaned on AP, but instead Norv decided to be cute and do the unexpected.

In my personal opinion, the niner game was ours to lose even into the late 4th quarter, and we completely dominated the last 2 games from start to finish. As our coach says, let's NOT go backwards!! We need to continue to improve, and he has the right attitude to lead this team.

vikesrgreat2
09-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Any time you score 31 points and win by 17, that is a good day in my opinion. Best of all, we know that the Vikings remain a work in progress, and have plenty of room to get even better! The game next week at Denver will be a good measuring stick to determine how far the Vikings have come, and how much better they need to get to be a playoff contender.

Right now, I LOVE the physicality of the defense! The past 2 games have seen Stafford and Rivers under tremendous pressure, and hit - frequently and HARD. Remember that Manning is not a very mobile QB, and Ryan Clady is out for the year. Something tells me that we should be able to get at least some pressure on Manning, and be able to hit him a few times. The key will be to force turnovers and turn them into points.

midgensa
09-28-2015, 08:48 PM
TB is growing up before our eyes... remember, he is the youngest starting QB in the NFL at 21. I am happy with his progress. I think the Niner game came down to the whole "MNF with 50 million watching" and TB getting panicky. THAT was the game where we should have leaned on AP, but instead Norv decided to be cute and do the unexpected.

In my personal opinion, the niner game was ours to lose even into the late 4th quarter, and we completely dominated the last 2 games from start to finish. As our coach says, let's NOT go backwards!! We need to continue to improve, and he has the right attitude to lead this team.

Winston and Mariota are both younger than Teddy. And Teddy is actually going to be 23 in November.

I am very happy with the running game and defense the last two games. But I am concerned about Teddy. He has not looked good in any of the three games. He looked BAD in two of them. He still floats the ball way too often.

He seems to have a better pocket presence than T-Jack and Ponder, and also seems a little less rattled than those two used to get, but his production is certainly somewhat of a concern at this point.

PurplePowerPunch
09-28-2015, 09:01 PM
All Day is back and finally into Football shape. The young defense is among the elites in the league. Teddy 2 Gloves will only get better in this offense. It was a treat to watch C. Greenway take a Pick 6 91yards to the end zone. We are on to Denver for a match up against P. Manning and arguably the best Defense in the league.

RK.
09-28-2015, 11:02 PM
I think it is important to remember that Teddy B has only played 16 games in his total career as and nfl qb. He is going to have some bad games and make some mistakes until he is a little more experienced. I am not worried about him.

C Mac D
09-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Guys… we're going to get killed by the Broncos. I really hope Vikings fans understand this.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but if they shutdown Peterson… we have no offense. Period.

VikingsFan1234
09-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Guys… we're going to get killed by the Broncos. I really hope Vikings fans understand this.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but if they shutdown Peterson… we have no offense. Period.

No faith in the Vikings huh? Then again, Vikings are terrible on the road so I would not be surprised if it happened

thejck
09-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Believe man...We are going all the way....
This is what its about. You can save your I told you so's for after the game. But until then its humble pie for you buster.

Suick
09-29-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm all in bitches!

thejck
09-29-2015, 12:30 PM
i know that there is always the possibility of us loosing but we are fans and we are high on life after a win.
Why not talk about the advantages we have?

Hard smash mouth defense against a Manning that is not as good as he used to be.. For the football gurus here doesn't that sound like a good thing?
I mean i know we are on the road so that might be negated but we have a chance.

purplehelmut
09-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Got a chance if the defense roughs up Manning like they did Stafford and Rivers. But outside, on grass, on the road, late game, underdog. Usually a recipe for disaster for the Vikings. Historically speaking. Maybe the culture has changed. We shall see.

thejck
09-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Got a chance if the defense roughs up Manning like they did Stafford and Rivers. But outside, on grass, on the road, late game, underdog. Usually a recipe for disaster for the Vikings. Historically speaking. Maybe the culture has changed. We shall see.

They just need to believe.. and we need to believe...All we need now is heart.

tastywaves
09-29-2015, 07:46 PM
In game one, the 49'ers were the more physical team and dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides. Games 2 and 3 the Vikings were the more physical team and dictated the direction of the game. This is a young Vikings team, that still has a long ways to go, but I love the athleticism on this team and believe Zimmer will continue to improve their production.

Game 4 I think will be a tough one for us. Denver at home is a tough place to play. The Broncos are playing solid defense and the offense seems to be finding a way to do just enough to finish off the win. I'm not sold on Denver by any means, but this week in Denver I think will be a tough game for the Vikings.

RK.
09-29-2015, 11:23 PM
As the saying goes, "on any given Sunday". This might just be our Sunday.

C Mac D
09-29-2015, 11:53 PM
I hope so, seems like a game we could sneak away with… but Denver's defense is legit. If Peterson can't get going, I just don't have faith in our passing game winning this for us. It'll be a battle of defenses for sure.

My guess is Broncos 28 - Vikings 17

purplehelmut
09-30-2015, 08:40 AM
I think I read that Denver is like 23-2 at home over the last few years. Manning is a statue. Gotta bang his ass around but good. Probably see a lot of quick passes. They are also the number one defense in the league right now and allowing only 16.3 PPG. Should be an interesting matchup.

midgensa
09-30-2015, 12:14 PM
I hope so, seems like a game we could sneak away with… but Denver's defense is legit. If Peterson can't get going, I just don't have faith in our passing game winning this for us. It'll be a battle of defenses for sure.

I don't think I am as ready to give up on Bridgewater as you seem to be, but I agree completely with this sentiment for RIGHT NOW.

If Adrian does not get going, then I don't think TBridge can beat those corners in Denver. I don't see a logical way we win this without special teams miscues or a pick-six or two.

Peyton is starting to figure out what he is now, I think a pick-six will be tough to come by.

Broncos 27, Vikings 13

vikesrgreat2
09-30-2015, 01:15 PM
I think the game at Denver will come down to turnovers and (in particular) turnover margin. Denver is a really talented team, and will likely win the game. But, I predict the Vikings will again play physical football to keep it close.

My prediction (and I hope I'm wrong): Broncos 24, Vikings 20.

Leafman
09-30-2015, 08:24 PM
... cuz you guys dumping on Bridgewater have no clue what you're talking about.

Even if you don't agree with experts like Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski, who have praised Teddy's extremely high football IQ and have said they see significant improvement in Teddy's reads and progressions over his first full season, you can't argue with his performance versus the best of his recent and contemporary peers.

I'll give you 10 names: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater.

Over the first 16 starts of their careers, where does Teddy rank in various statistical categories among this elite group? Surely if he's a Tarvaris Jackson clone and incapable of successfully quarterbacking an NFL team he would be at the very bottom of nearly every important category against these 9 great QBs after their first 16 starts, right??

Let's start with completion percentage ... must be #10, right?

Nope. He's #1. At 64.9%, he ranks ahead of Brady (64.8%), Favre (64.3%), Wilson (64.1%) and Rodgers (63.6%). The other five aren't even close.

"Well, that's just because he's only a dink-and-dunker, he only makes high percentage throws and doesn't throw downfield like those other guys." Well in that case, he must be at the bottom in total yards, right?

Nope. He's #5. At 3,424 passing yards, he ranks ahead of Brady, Favre, Rivers, Brees and Wilson.

"Well that's because his receivers just gain huge yardage after the catch, and he must have had far more pass attempts than the others so his yards per attempt is far below the others."

Nope. in fact he had the fourth FEWEST attempts (476), fewer than all the other guys except for Rivers, Ryan and Wilson. So at 7.19 yards per attempt, he ranks #6 in that category, ahead of Brady (6.94), Favre (6.75), Manning (6.50) and Brees (6.24).

Bridgewater is #2 in rushing yards behind only Wilson, tied for 3rd in rushing TDs behind Wilson and Rodgers, and is middle of the pack in INTs, ranking #6 in both total INTs and Attempts/INT with 14 INTs and a 34 Att/INT ratio, ahead of Brees, Favre, Romo and Manning.

The ONLY category where Teddy ranks last among these great QBs is in passing TDs, with 15, just behind Ryan (16), Brees (17) and Favre (20) ... of course he'd be tied for 9th with Ryan if Rudolph didn't have butterfingers last week ;) . But even despite this, he has a better TD/INT ratio than Brees and Manning had in their first 16 starts.

So chill out and get some perspective before you start shredding Teddy. He is an NFL QB going against sophisticated and fast NFL defenses ... he WILL have bad games, just as all great QBs have bad games (anyone remember Brady at KC last year??). He is young, he is talented, he is learning, he is confident, the game is slowing down for him, he has a running attack to take the pressure off and a better grasp of Norv's offensive system than he had last year, and what sets him apart from most other QB prospects is that he possesses all of the intangible quarterbacking skills that CAN'T be taught ... either you've got it or you don't. He does.

Teddy's going to be an excellent NFL quarterback.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

RK.
09-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Nice post Leafman

thejck
10-01-2015, 09:39 AM
As the saying goes, "on any given Sunday". This might just be our Sunday.

As long as its not Monday...Cause monday we loose..

rockymtdan
10-01-2015, 09:45 AM
I have not lost hope in TB just don't think he looked as composed as last year. Denver will be a baptism by fire and if he comes out with 200yd and 2 TD's we just might win.
Vikings 28
Broncos 26

Leafman
10-04-2015, 06:31 PM
I think the game at Denver will come down to turnovers and (in particular) turnover margin. Denver is a really talented team, and will likely win the game. But, I predict the Vikings will again play physical football to keep it close.

My prediction (and I hope I'm wrong): Broncos 24, Vikings 20.

Boom. Nailed it.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

snowinapril
10-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Boom. Nailed it.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Came down to the missed FG. We would have been driving for a win instead of a tie.

C Mac D
10-04-2015, 06:46 PM
... cuz you guys dumping on Bridgewater have no clue what you're talking about.

Even if you don't agree with experts like Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski, who have praised Teddy's extremely high football IQ and have said they see significant improvement in Teddy's reads and progressions over his first full season, you can't argue with his performance versus the best of his recent and contemporary peers.

I'll give you 10 names: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater.

Over the first 16 starts of their careers, where does Teddy rank in various statistical categories among this elite group? Surely if he's a Tarvaris Jackson clone and incapable of successfully quarterbacking an NFL team he would be at the very bottom of nearly every important category against these 9 great QBs after their first 16 starts, right??

Let's start with completion percentage ... must be #10, right?

Nope. He's #1. At 64.9%, he ranks ahead of Brady (64.8%), Favre (64.3%), Wilson (64.1%) and Rodgers (63.6%). The other five aren't even close.

"Well, that's just because he's only a dink-and-dunker, he only makes high percentage throws and doesn't throw downfield like those other guys." Well in that case, he must be at the bottom in total yards, right?

Nope. He's #5. At 3,424 passing yards, he ranks ahead of Brady, Favre, Rivers, Brees and Wilson.

"Well that's because his receivers just gain huge yardage after the catch, and he must have had far more pass attempts than the others so his yards per attempt is far below the others."

Nope. in fact he had the fourth FEWEST attempts (476), fewer than all the other guys except for Rivers, Ryan and Wilson. So at 7.19 yards per attempt, he ranks #6 in that category, ahead of Brady (6.94), Favre (6.75), Manning (6.50) and Brees (6.24).

Bridgewater is #2 in rushing yards behind only Wilson, tied for 3rd in rushing TDs behind Wilson and Rodgers, and is middle of the pack in INTs, ranking #6 in both total INTs and Attempts/INT with 14 INTs and a 34 Att/INT ratio, ahead of Brees, Favre, Romo and Manning.

The ONLY category where Teddy ranks last among these great QBs is in passing TDs, with 15, just behind Ryan (16), Brees (17) and Favre (20) ... of course he'd be tied for 9th with Ryan if Rudolph didn't have butterfingers last week ;) . But even despite this, he has a better TD/INT ratio than Brees and Manning had in their first 16 starts.

So chill out and get some perspective before you start shredding Teddy. He is an NFL QB going against sophisticated and fast NFL defenses ... he WILL have bad games, just as all great QBs have bad games (anyone remember Brady at KC last year??). He is young, he is talented, he is learning, he is confident, the game is slowing down for him, he has a running attack to take the pressure off and a better grasp of Norv's offensive system than he had last year, and what sets him apart from most other QB prospects is that he possesses all of the intangible quarterbacking skills that CAN'T be taught ... either you've got it or you don't. He does.

Teddy's going to be an excellent NFL quarterback.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

That's a pretty good post and some good stats… too bad they don't matter.

MaxVike
10-04-2015, 08:20 PM
That's a pretty good post and some good stats… too bad they don't matter.

hmmmmmmm...Define "don't matter."

I think Leafman brings up some great points that lead to a logical conclusion, which, he states...IMHO, his post gives good reason for hope and optimism. And, oh by the way, I agree with the conclusion.

Nicely done Leafman.

snowinapril
10-04-2015, 08:55 PM

I think Leafman brings up some great points that lead to a logical conclusion, which, he states...IMHO, his post gives good reason for hope and optimism. And, oh by the way, I agree with the conclusion.

Nicely done Leafman.

Head to head with the greats, it helps to win against them.

It is nice that TB can have his stat next to Manning's first 16 starts and have more wins and less interceptions and so on, but it helps solidify you when you actually win. BTW, I was referring to the stats that they put up during the game.

But, it is encouraging on many levels. Have to see how it plays out over time.

C Mac D
10-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Nicely done Leafman.

Honestly not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to make a realistic observation of our QB situation.

That is a nice post, but really doesn't mean anything. Despite the stats, Bridgewater may never be Brady, Favre, Brees, Rivers, etc… they're just numbers. I can also compare Bridgewater's numbers to Tarvaris Jackson's career numbers and they don't look all that different. Point is, neither matters.

Tarvaris Jackson (career)
Att: 1,067
Comp: 636
Yards: 7,226
TDs: 39
INTs: 35
YPA: 6.77
Comp %: 59.61

Teddy Bridgewater (career)
Att: 476
Comp: 309
Yards: 3,424
TDs: 15
INTs: 14
YPA: 7.19
Comp %: 64.92

The numbers really aren't that different, and I don't see anyone comparing Tarvaris Jackson to Drew Brees or Tom Brady… so please stop.

I understand that we can have hope for Bridgewater's development, but let's be realistic about it.

Leafman
10-04-2015, 10:33 PM
I understand that we can have hope for Bridgewater's development, but let's be realistic about it.

What's realistic is to note the stark difference in the way Teddy commands the offense at the line of scrimmage, makes his defensive reads, changes the plays and protection schemes as needed, moves in the pocket, goes through his progressions and delivers the ball versus the way Tarvaris did the same. Teddy is far superior after just 17 games than TJ ever was in every one of those areas of quarterbacking skill.

If you can't see that difference, then your posts on Teddy are perfectly understandable and there is no further need to take them seriously.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

JPPT1974
10-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Bridgewater is poised as Kevin Burkehardt of Fox News said. But still, just needs to come up with wins. He is getting there.

Leafman
10-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Bridgewater is poised as Kevin Burkehardt of Fox News said. But still, just needs to come up with wins. He is getting there.

That's exactly my point. Teddy is 8-8 through his first 16 starts, which is better than a lot of those greats on that list.

So, if the haters acknowledge his stats rank with the greats but it doesn't matter, and if the haters acknowledge that pretty much every knowledgeable football pundit out there can see what the rest of us see in terms of his early command of the QB position and requisite skills but that doesn't matter, and if the haters acknowledge that his Win-Loss record through 16 games measures up to many of the contemporary great QBs but that doesn't matter, then the reason for hating on him or thinking he will fail to make it as an NFL QB is...... ?

... because he was drafted while Spielman was GM??

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

MaxVike
10-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Honestly not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to make a realistic observation of our QB situation.

That is a nice post, but really doesn't mean anything. Despite the stats, Bridgewater may never be Brady, Favre, Brees, Rivers, etc… they're just numbers. I can also compare Bridgewater's numbers to Tarvaris Jackson's career numbers and they don't look all that different. Point is, neither matters.

The numbers really aren't that different, and I don't see anyone comparing Tarvaris Jackson to Drew Brees or Tom Brady… so please stop.

Fair enough, and agree about being realistic. Stats can be misleading to be sure.

I am very encouraged by Teddy's "intangibles," his poise and apparent ability to lead. I could be wrong, but, I think Ponder or TJack would have folded the tent after Denver's relentless 1st Quarter barrage.

Time will tell (hopefully not too much more) about Teddy, but, I'm optimistic.

thejck
10-05-2015, 08:39 AM
I understand why CmACD wont let up on TB. Why let hope in and get destroyed. Lets find the flaws but secretly hope you are wrong.

For his 16th game against a defense like that to stand in there and keep fighting till the end. I will come to his defense. For that. I have nothing but hope for him.

vikinggreg
10-05-2015, 08:24 PM

I am sure Seattle would love to have Bridgewater on their roster

vikinggreg
10-05-2015, 08:37 PM

Guys… we're going to get killed by the Broncos. I really hope fans don't think we stand a chance.

EDIT: Posted this in the wrong thread.

Peterson had one huge run, otherwise was shutdown, Johnson and Wright were out, FG kicker is getting to the point where we are lucky if he hits the ball, line is missing 2 starters.....23-20 isn't a killing

Vikes are 1-0 in there division and the Bears are having a fire sale but still have Cutler, II can see still a wildcard in our future