PDA

View Full Version : So…

C Mac D
09-16-2015, 12:04 AM
So… When do we see all these great Rick Spielman draft picks actually win us games?

I've said time and time again, Spielman has a losing record as GM in this league over the past 15 years. I'm always told by members of this site that his players "Just need to develop"… when? When does this happen? It hasn't happened with any team Spielman has ever drafted for, EVER. We lost to a team that Vegas has slotted nearly as bad as the raiders, and for good reason.

Get ready for another long season, Vikings fans. Keep clinging to that idea that Spielman is a good GM, maybe that will help when we have another top-10 draft pick next year, but it's certainly not helping us win any games anytime soon.

Tarkenton10, hope you're ready to put that sig in your profile. We're not going to be any better than 6-10.

C Mac D
09-16-2015, 12:07 AM
Also, I'm no longer sold on Zimmer as a head coach. He might be a great coordinator, but I just don't see any confidence in him. He might become a great HC someday, but he hasn't done anything over the past two years to give me any faith in him.

Norv Turner is an idiot. Been saying that since the day we hired him.

JPPT1974
09-16-2015, 02:35 AM
Yeah as really just do not think that he is a good HC so far. But hopefully he will grow as a coordinator. Remember Belichick flopped in Cleveland, now look at where he is at!

purplehelmut
09-16-2015, 09:43 AM
I was never a Turner fan and he got outcoached badly Monday night. Still have hopes for Zimmer. He's an old school football guy and I think he'll do fine. But I was disappointed that the defense got manhandled by SF. Poor performance by that unit.

tarkenton10
09-16-2015, 10:15 AM
So… When do we see all these great Rick Spielman draft picks actually win us games?

I've said time and time again, Spielman has a losing record as GM in this league over the past 15 years. I'm always told by members of this site that his players "Just need to develop"… when? When does this happen? It hasn't happened with any team Spielman has ever drafted for, EVER. We lost to a team that Vegas has slotted nearly as bad as the raiders, and for good reason.

Get ready for another long season, Vikings fans. Keep clinging to that idea that Spielman is a good GM, maybe that will help when we have another top-10 draft pick next year, but it's certainly not helping us win any games anytime soon.

Tarkenton10, hope you're ready to put that sig in your profile. We're not going to be any better than 6-10.

I am ready!!

bleedpurple
09-16-2015, 01:32 PM
I am ready!!

yes, the loss was disappointing. but lets not overreact. It was one game. Let's not get all bent out of shape because we got manhandled on Monday night. 1. we never play well in primetime. and 2. its just one game. let's wait until atleast week 5-6 before we start crowning their asses..

also, I don't think we can make a case on Risk Speilman yet... he's had a bad drafting history but he has also drafted fairly well over the years.. lots of young talent.. only fault I question him on is the O-line and the safety position... Sendejo and Blanton?? please!!!

12purplepride28
09-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Glad this place never changes

C Mac D
09-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Glad this place never changes

This place never changes because the team never changes.

idahovikefan7
09-17-2015, 03:09 PM
LOL one loss and the first game of the season and faith lost in Zimmer? When was the last time the Vikings played well in a big stage game?? Let alone one on the road...

Leafman
09-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Harrison Smith has developed into one of the best safeties in the league.

Everson Griffen has developed in to one of the best defensive linemen in the game.

Adrian Peterson has ....

Oh never mind, this is always such an exercise in futility.

This team HAS talent and developed it. If not, it wouldn't have begun the season as Vegas' #11 team in Super Bowl odds.

New head coach, new coordinators, new schemes on both sides of the ball, a lot of new faces on the field over the last couple years,5th youngest team in the NFL with a starting QB who still has yet to play his 16th game ....

So not a complete surprise that they played the worst season-opening game in franchise history.

There will be bumps on this road, especially against a team like the Niners with a new-look offensive scheme. Far too early to say this team will not ultimately prove to be significantly improved over last year's team as the odds makers thought they'd be.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

C Mac D
09-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Harrison Smith has developed into one of the best safeties in the league.

Everson Griffen has developed in to one of the best defensive linemen in the game.

Adrian Peterson has ....

Oh never mind, this is always such an exercise in futility.

This team HAS talent and developed it. If not, it wouldn't have begun the season as Vegas' #11 team in Super Bowl odds.

New head coach, new coordinators, new schemes on both sides of the ball, a lot of new faces on the field over the last couple years,5th youngest team in the NFL with a starting QB who still has yet to play his 16th game ....

So not a complete surprise that they played the worst season-opening game in franchise history.

There will be bumps on this road, especially against a team like the Niners with a new-look offensive scheme. Far too early to say this team will not ultimately prove to be significantly improved over last year's team as the odds makers thought they'd be.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

Spielman wasn't the GM when we drafted Peterson or Griffen… he was VP of Player Personnel and part of the "Triangle of Authority" in Minnesota.

But anywhoo, that's great that we're picked #11 to win the Super Bowl. Does that help us actually win games by any chance?

(pssst… the answer is no)

Leafman
09-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Spielman wasn't the GM when we drafted Peterson or Griffen… he was VP of Player Personnel and part of the "Triangle of Authority" in Minnesota.

But anywhoo, that's great that we're picked #11 to win the Super Bowl. Does that help us actually win games by any chance?

And you think it's rational to use just 3 years of a GM'S tenure to evaluate the development of talent?

I think that's terribly premature, not to mention naive (in that the whole concept of "development" is that it takes considerable time for most NFL draft picks to become impact players ... to think otherwise demonstrates a clear lack of awareness of how pro football works).

And in any case, I'd say Smith, Wright, Floyd, Rhodes, Hodges, Locke Barr, Bridgewater and McKinnon have developed very nicely in to pretty good NFL players in their very brief time in the league thus far. Even more so if Kalil and Walsh can right their ships this season.

Spielman's done a pretty good job so far. Who knows, the Vikings might even win a game or two this season with the roster he's helped put together....

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

MaxVike
09-18-2015, 07:25 PM

C Mac...I have no idea who you are, where you are from, what you do, etc. I think it is fair for those of us who have been Vikings fans for nearly 50 years to expect that someone, like you, who is active on a Vikings website, is actually a Vikings fan.

Before you jump to the conclusion that I'm a delusional, non realist, uninformed, fan with no access...just know that I am none of the aforementioned.

You sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion, as we all are...but, it is extremely hard for me to believe that someone like you, well, you, are actually a Vikings fan.

It is actually impossible for me to imagine that you would approach a weekend in Minneapolis as my beautiful wife (of 30 years) and I are this weekend. We will arrive tomorrow (from Philly International), enjoy happy hour with our best friends...then go to dinner at Manny's. Breakfast Sunday at Hell's Kitchen, off for a great tailgate party, then - here's the key, we will go to the game in our Vikings colors and hope that we don't sit next to a negative Nancy naysayer such as you.

Skol Vikings!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10
09-22-2015, 09:19 AM
C Mac...I have no idea who you are, where you are from, what you do, etc. I think it is fair for those of us who have been Vikings fans for nearly 50 years to expect that someone, like you, who is active on a Vikings website, is actually a Vikings fan.

Before you jump to the conclusion that I'm a delusional, non realist, uninformed, fan with no access...just know that I am none of the aforementioned.

You sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion, as we all are...but, it is extremely hard for me to believe that someone like you, well, you, are actually a Vikings fan.

It is actually impossible for me to imagine that you would approach a weekend in Minneapolis as my beautiful wife (of 30 years) and I are this weekend. We will arrive tomorrow (from Philly International), enjoy happy hour with our best friends...then go to dinner at Manny's. Breakfast Sunday at Hell's Kitchen, off for a great tailgate party, then - here's the key, we will go to the game in our Vikings colors and hope that we don't sit next to a negative Nancy naysayer such as you.

Skol Vikings!!!!!!!!

I get angry at CmacD for his views and downer attitude but let's keep this in perspective. We have never won a super bowl and have had some heart breaking losses. Most analysts put the Vikings on the cursed franchise list and show anything from Favre's int in the 2009 NFCC game to the '75 Hail Mary pass (which by the way was offensive pass int.). So some fans have a what is going to happen next attitude or we always fail attitude. I think Zimmer is different but past practice dictates we should suck or the Gods will play a cruel joke on this franchise. So we should cut CmacD a little slack, and in 7 more games he will have a sig worth his belief system!!! HA! HA!

C Mac D
09-22-2015, 10:27 PM

Skol Vikings!!!!!!!!

DURRR… I'm a real fan… DURRR…. such a stupid fucking argument. So, my point isn't valid because you give more money to the NFL (who knowingly lied about concussion findings back in the 80's and 90's) or because you give money to an owner who was convicted of racketeering (organized crime). Guess that makes my opinion of Rick Spielman invalid somehow. Very intelligent argument there.

Let me be very clear, I think very little of your opinion altogether, so I don't care what you think of mine.

And congrats on attending a game where we beat a winless Lions team… I remember when that used to be a gimme, but now we celebrate it like we accomplished something. Guess that sorta proves my point.

tarkenton10
09-23-2015, 10:35 AM
DURRR… I'm a real fan… DURRR…. such a stupid fucking argument.
Swearing and insulting people never helps YOUR argument.

So, my point isn't valid because you give more money to the NFL (who knowingly lied about concussion findings back in the 80's and 90's) or because you give money to an owner who was convicted of racketeering (organized crime). Guess that makes my opinion of Rick Spielman invalid somehow. Very intelligent argument there.

Let me be very clear, I think very little of your opinion altogether, so I don't care what you think of mine.

And congrats on attending a game where we beat a winless Lions team… I remember when that used to be a gimme, but now we celebrate it like we accomplished something. Guess that sorta proves my point.

And while they may be winless, they were the #1 defense last year and had a 10-6 record. So using the analogy of beating the Lions prior to 2011 is not based in fact. They have a lot of talent and they are a good team. How good are they this year, nobody knows, not even you. So we should be excited to beat what seems to be a good team.

RK.
09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I am happy anytime our team wins a game no matter who it is against. We all know that CMacD's glass is always half empty. Just ignore it. If we win a super bowl he will post that it is only one and we should have done it years ago. LOL

idahovikefan7
09-23-2015, 01:37 PM
I am happy anytime our team wins a game no matter who it is against. We all know that CMacD's glass is always half empty. Just ignore it. If we win a super bowl he will post that it is only one and we should have done it years ago. LOL

+1

Leafman
09-23-2015, 04:22 PM

+2

People who are constantly negative and ripping others are just miserable with themselves. Pity that they won't be able to enjoy the Super Bowl victory as much as both the more objective and the homers among us when it happens.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

tarkenton10
09-24-2015, 08:18 AM
+2

People who are constantly negative and ripping others are just miserable with themselves. Pity that they won't be able to enjoy the Super Bowl victory as much as both the more objective and the homers among us when it happens.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

I am with you guys, i think the Vikings are a fast rising team and one more really good draft will put us up there with the elite of the NFL. But CmaD does have history on his side. It is hard to stay positive sometimes, especially after the pounding the team took at SF and knowing how the Vikings have flamed out in the past.

C Mac D
09-24-2015, 09:30 AM
[/B]

And while they may be winless, they were the #1 defense last year and had a 10-6 record. So using the analogy of beating the Lions prior to 2011 is not based in fact. They have a lot of talent and they are a good team. How good are they this year, nobody knows, not even you. So we should be excited to beat what seems to be a good team.

No, they weren't the #1 defense (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2014&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1).

And someone else pointed out that 3 years isn't enough to judge Spielman… yet I pointed to his entire career as a GM in the NFL, which is 15+ years… and yes, I think that's enough time to judge his performance as a team executive.

I remember when people would tell me Childress just "needed another year" and that he was a good coach. Feeling deja vu.

thejck
09-24-2015, 10:46 AM
There is always hope :-)

MaxVike
09-24-2015, 09:00 PM
DURRR… I'm a real fan… DURRR…. such a stupid fucking argument. So, my point isn't valid because you give more money to the NFL (who knowingly lied about concussion findings back in the 80's and 90's) or because you give money to an owner who was convicted of racketeering (organized crime). Guess that makes my opinion of Rick Spielman invalid somehow. Very intelligent argument there.

1) I wasn't arguing...In fact, I made no mention of Spielman, money, or, the Vikings Owner.
2) Allow me to be more clear...you, are an asshat, I apologize for any confusion
3) Interesting (somewhat) that you would suggest that anything proves whatever point you are trying to make...
4) I celebrated the fact that I attended the game with my bride of 30 years and our best friends...and, that we didn't sit next to someone like you.

Skol Vikings!!!

tarkenton10
09-25-2015, 03:21 PM

You have to know that your opinion touches a nerve, these people have a vested interest in this organization, whether it be emotional,financial or both. So it only makes sense there would be some negative posts from your recent messages. There are three reasons why I feel you have to stick with your assessment of Spielman and the Vikings. The first is that if you change your position on Spielman, you have to admit that you have been wrong about him. Let's face it, no matter what you think of Spielman, the Vikings are more talented than they were three years ago. But that can't come out given your previous stance. The second reason is based on your posts IMO, you are someone who relishes the fact that you are smarter than the average bear. You see the outcome better and when and if it happens you love to jump on the chance to tell people "I told you so". This makes it even more difficult to change your mind bite the bullet and agree with most on here. Lastly, I think that you dislike Spielman and even a super bowl victory won't change that for you.

Any and all loses will just fuel your fire until Spielman is gone, negative is the only way you can go because you have basically painted yourself into that corner and without eating some crow there is no coming back from that. JMO

JPPT1974
09-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Really it seems everybody does not like Spielman at all. But he is there for a reason. Get used to it.

rockymtdan
09-26-2015, 04:47 PM
When anything short of a Superbowl victory validates your position, it not exactly stupendous intellect or a chest pounding event.

Leafman
09-27-2015, 12:26 PM
When anything short of a Superbowl victory validates your position, it not exactly stupendous intellect or a chest pounding event.

Boom. Exactly.

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN

midgensa
09-27-2015, 01:26 PM
No, they weren't the #1 defense (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2014&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1).

And someone else pointed out that 3 years isn't enough to judge Spielman… yet I pointed to his entire career as a GM in the NFL, which is 15+ years… and yes, I think that's enough time to judge his performance as a team executive.

I remember when people would tell me Childress just "needed another year" and that he was a good coach. Feeling deja vu.

Well you need to be careful. Counting this season he has only been a "General Manager" for 5 years. If you are not going to let him have credit for Adrian Peterson because he was not the "General Manager," then you cannot use his years as anything other than a General Manager against him in your general manager argument.

NOW ... that being said ... I don't love his years in the league as a personnel executive (of which he has more than 15). I think that it is tough to find much to be excited about in his 10 years in Minnesota. BUT ... I do feel that he has changed his approach a little with the new title in the last four years. And I am happy with the talent this team has acquired.

I have tough time feeling like he could have done much better. Most of his draft picks are listed as solid at the time and even with god value at the time ... and certainly they have been unlucky in some of those (Chris Cook and Tyrell Johnson in both years where they were the first picks for the squad) but in general he does not have a terrible track record.

It all comes down to QB. Christian Ponder was a dreadful mistake, one that I think was more Leslie Frazier's desire than Spielman's. BUT, I don't begrudge the pick. You HAVE to have a QB. HAVE to. If anything, the biggest problem I have with Spielman is he didn't suck for Luck.

C Mac D
09-27-2015, 05:24 PM

And I guess settling for mediocrity is stupendous intellect? I suppose some people, as yourself, have learned to deal with it.

Also, referring to football analysis as "intellect" is hilarious. Not exactly a Rhodes Scholar, are you?

C Mac D
09-27-2015, 05:27 PM
1) I wasn't arguing...In fact, I made no mention of Spielman, money, or, the Vikings Owner.
2) Allow me to be more clear...you, are an asshat, I apologize for any confusion
3) Interesting (somewhat) that you would suggest that anything proves whatever point you are trying to make...
4) I celebrated the fact that I attended the game with my bride of 30 years and our best friends...and, that we didn't sit next to someone like you.

Skol Vikings!!!

"We didn't sit next to someone like you." No, because I wasn't at the game. I was spending time with my family. Wasn't even watching football.

Guess my criticism of Spielman and spending time with my family makes me a bad person that you wouldn't want to sit next to? Wow, that sure makes you a good person for judging someone in that manner. I may be an asshat, but at least I'm not a judgmental, pretentious pr*ck.

C Mac D
09-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Also, love the personal attacks for simply saying Spielman can't put together a championship team. Classy.

MaxVike
09-27-2015, 06:13 PM
"We didn't sit next to someone like you." No, because I wasn't at the game. I was spending time with my family. Wasn't even watching football.

Guess my criticism of Spielman and spending time with my family makes me a bad person that you wouldn't want to sit next to? Wow, that sure makes you a good person for judging someone in that manner. I may be an asshat, but at least I'm not a judgmental, pretentious pr*ck.

This judgmental, pretentious prick was enjoying the game by spending time with my wife. I've been called many things, congratulations on setting precedent by coining me as pretentious, that's a new one...

Never said you were a bad person, just said I was happy I didn't end up sitting next to a negative nancy like you...if that makes me judgmental, so be it.

Today, I'm celebrating a Vikings beat down, enjoyed at home, while watching the game with my family.

Skol Vikings!!!

C Mac D
09-27-2015, 06:29 PM
This judgmental, pretentious prick was enjoying the game by spending time with my wife. I've been called many things, congratulations on setting precedent by coining me as pretentious, that's a new one...

Never said you were a bad person, just said I was happy I didn't end up sitting next to a negative nancy like you...if that makes me judgmental, so be it.

Today, I'm celebrating a Vikings beat down, enjoyed at home, while watching the game with my family.

Skol Vikings!!!

So, still not addressing anything regarding the point of the thread, eh? Nothing about the team or Spielman's job as GM. Just chiming in to take more cheap shots. Typical.

MaxVike
09-27-2015, 07:05 PM
So, still not addressing anything regarding the point of the thread, eh? Nothing about the team or Spielman's job as GM. Just chiming in to take more cheap shots. Typical.

I'm optimistic about the young talent on the current squad.

I'm concerned about OL depth.

I like our HC, he is a good man, and a great coach. Jury is out on Zim as a HC, but, I think he will be a very good one for years to come.

I like our OC, he understands the importance of the running game (although I'm not quite sure why we went 3 straight passes in the first game, first drive.

I am reserved about optimism for the DC.

Spielman, like all GMs, is not perfect. Bill Polian, the recently inducted Hall of Famer, has said that a good GM hits on roughly 50% of his decisions. I think Spielman has grown significantly during his tenure in the NFL, even with the Vikes.

tarkenton10
09-28-2015, 01:07 PM

I'll chime in, his first year as GM he drafted Kalil who had one good year was hurt for two and now is healthy is putting together a pretty good year. A little too early to tell but I think his bad years were due to health issues and he is a very good player. He was good yesterday at least. He drafted Smith also that year and is considered one of the best safeties. Jarius Wright is a top 15 slot and according to football focus he is a very good one also. Rhett Ellison is crucial to our running game as a blocking H back of a run blocking TE. The previous two players were drafted in the fourth round. Robert Blanton, Audie Cole and Blair Walsh are important contributors. That is a very good draft, you added four starters and three key contributors in one year.

2013 we added Floyd and Rhodes who both are considered very good players in the NFL. Rhodes may even make the pro bowl this year and Floyd has gotten better every year. And let's not forget Hodges who is playing very good ball these days. 2014 Spielman hired Zimmer, the first HC i have liked since Bud Grant. We drafted a future pro bowler IMO in Anthony Barr and a solid QB in TB, although I really would like to see Heineke get a chance, I think he could be a franchise QB. McKinnon has been spotty but he has shown flashes and he is a third round pick so not bad. Exum is a year away from starting for us i think, his injury last year really set him back. Stephens is a great steal for us, he was drafted in the 7th round and is a key player in the D-line rotation.

Trae Waynes is having a rough start and I thought Peters was a more rounded CB and he has shown it in KC. But Trae is young and he had a good game against SD so he may just need a little more coaching, he definitely has the tools. he is the perfect specimen for Zimmer with H,W,S ratio, now can Zim coach him. If he can he may surpass Peters who I think has a lower ceiling but higher floor. Kendricks is turning out to be another great pick, very fast and physical, the only concern for me is his weight. If our d-line can't keep the o-line off of him he could get eaten up.

So we have more talent then in 2011 and it has shown this year. Yes, we had a bad game at SF but we came back and beat a good DET team and now a good SD team. I think we will be in the top 15 at the end of the year in power rankings and in the NFC probably the4th or 5th best team. Other than GB, AR, ST. L and SEA who is better in the NFC. You have two more teams that you could make an argument for and they are Philly and Dallas. So we are going to be in the playoff hunt because 6 teams make it. Dallas will have a hard time making it with Dez and Romo gone. Philly, i just don't trust their team, I don't like the way Kelly has built it. so given the evidence I just gave you I think Minnesota makes the playoffs this year as a wild card.

drewlovs
09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
I like the way Waynes looks... the mistakes he makes reminds me of Haden in his first year.

I am not surprised at all that, having 2 GREAT wins against one playoff team and the other had a winning record and is a very good team, that Mac feels the need to be sour grapes and renew his attack on our GM. I really don't think he wants to be happy EVER.

As an aside, I think it's rich Mac is complaining about someone taking things to a personal level... being the number guy to call someone stupid if they disagree with him.

Look, who knows how this will all turn out? Right now, if we are as good as it looks, we could be 11-5 or even 12-4! Will that happen? Who knows, but now is the time for fans of the Vikings to sit back and enjoy the view, and the feeling of having a damn good team. I will never understand fans who feel the need to shit on their team- its as though the need to be the first to call their demise is by FAR more important than enjoying the victories they have had.

For the record, I think Spielman has done a great job. In this opinion I only take his work as GM into account. If anyone looked at my accomplishments when I was younger, they would have a wealth of ammunition to say I was an idiot... because I was! But as we get older, perhaps we learn from our mistakes...? Is Spielman not allowed to do so as well?