PDA

View Full Version : 3 Reasons Spielman Might Part With Pick No. 11

drewlovs
04-29-2015, 01:55 PM
While reading this off the Vikings website (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Reasons-Spielman-Might-Part-With-Pick-No-11/d35f99ef-e5c4-4c6c-978c-b585a23d9b92), one thing struck me-- it makes sense! Some of you might not understand why that is meaningful, but I've been a fan since the Tark era. I've had to live through "the TRADE" and the drafts where we failed to have a pick... TWICE.

To get an understanding, you have to watch what the Browns are doing; the Vikings were that bad and WORST. Now days, everything Spielman is doing I can understand. And better, I agree with a lot of it! It is so...weird... to watch my team do their draft thing and not only have confidence, but like the results.

It is such a change from the past...

C Mac D
04-29-2015, 03:08 PM
For one, we didn't "fail to pick" we slid back a couple spots... and drafted Kevin Williams, so it's not like we missed anything, unless you wanted Byron Leftwich. When was the second time?

You enjoy the results of the draft, eh? We're really no better now than we were back in the mid-2000's... we were 93-99 from 2000 through 2012 (when Spielman became GM) and have gone 22-25 since then. That's a .48 winning percentage compared to a .46 winning percentage respectively.

I realize people like the flashy names we're drafting, but it's not resulting to wins on the field.

drewlovs
04-29-2015, 05:40 PM
I won't bother replying directly to your points, C. Knowing that even making it to the NFC championship would make no difference to you and your assessment of Spielman, I know there is no point.

At this point, you should just reply "Spielman sucks" so we can all just move on.

snowinapril
04-29-2015, 07:53 PM
To me, Rick sounded like he was whoring the 11th pick to the highest bidder. It also sounds like he doesn't have a partner yet. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had to be so vocal.

We may not be moving back at all. The Redskins weren't so vocal about their desire to move back to obtain the most possible picks in the draft. They are quietly rumors to want 10 picks in the draft. They have a better position to trade. Maybe the owner is finally realizing his way of spending and buying a team is not the right way, picks are best. Lots of teams are thinking the same thing.

vikinggreg
04-29-2015, 08:21 PM
For one, we didn't "fail to pick" we slid back a couple spots... and drafted Kevin Williams, so it's not like we missed anything, unless you wanted Byron Leftwich. When was the second time?

By taking a "pass," the Vikings delayed their choice, but were permitted to then make it at any ensuing time.
....But by that point, the public relations damage had been done.

"I'm pissed," said Vikings coach Mike Tice. "There is no other way I can put it."......

....the Vikings were involved in another awkward situation. That day, the Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal) traded down from No. 6 to No. 8, and the clock appeared to run out on their trade partner, the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan). The Vikings, choosing at No. 7, attempted to submit the name of defensive tackle Ryan Sims (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=4547), but were told by league officials the Chiefs had legally handed in their card to take the North Carolina star.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545117

MJGoodnow
04-30-2015, 01:03 AM
I like them young. Draft and free agency. I love drafts, sort of like the New England Patriots.
I remember when we "failed to make the pick" and drafted Kevin Williams, I was like " all that over a defensive tackle." and "who?"

Rick Spielman is in the drivers sear though with his winning percentage of .48, give him more time...we aren't the Miami Dolphins.

Nephilimstorm

midgensa
04-30-2015, 08:14 AM

You enjoy the results of the draft, eh? We're really no better now than we were back in the mid-2000's... we were 93-99 from 2000 through 2012 (when Spielman became GM) and have gone 22-25 since then. That's a .48 winning percentage compared to a .46 winning percentage respectively.

I realize people like the flashy names we're drafting, but it's not resulting to wins on the field.

We did it in back-to-back drafts. We failed to pick in the 2002 Draft and missed on Sims and got McKinnie. The very next year we let it slide TWO picks and got Williams.

All that aside ... I got from this that he was talking about times we didn't even have a pick in the first round because of trades. 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 to be specific. Didn't get a single first rounder for four years. Only got two second rounders in those years also.

We still managed 8 playoff seasons in 9 years around that time. It makes it more frustrating knowing that had we added a few more first round types we would have truly had a shot at a very special run.

But yes. Our draft strategy has been pretty sound the last few years. We all know you hate Rick. But you are in the very small minority on bashing his drafts. A minority of maybe one.

C Mac D
04-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Rick Spielman is in the drivers sear though with his winning percentage of .48, give him more time...we aren't the Miami Dolphins.

Nephilimstorm

His winning % is actually .46 currently.

Ted Dibiase
04-30-2015, 09:48 AM
I'm hearing a lot about the #11 pick being very valuable because of the fifth year option being cheaper outside of the top ten. I just wonder how big of a deal that really is. I'm skeptical that a GM would consider saving 3-5 million (I believe that was the figure I was seeing) four years down the road to be more important than landing the player he wants.