PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing

RK.
04-12-2015, 12:58 AM
I have been reading different commentators takes on teams and the word that seems to be coming up more and more is that the Vikings are the "Sleeper Team" of the NFL this year. I think that is refreshing considering some of the press we have been getting the last few years.

VikingMike
04-12-2015, 03:27 PM
I have been reading different commentators takes on teams and the word that seems to be coming up more and more is that the Vikings are the "Sleeper Team" of the NFL this year. I think that is refreshing considering some of the press we have been getting the last few years.

The past few years we haven't really deserved to be called anything but mediocre or downright bad. Now that we have what looks like a bonafide QB, and a core of good young players, the "experts" are saying nice things. But what will really make me feel good is winning a Super Bowl.

snowinapril
04-12-2015, 03:37 PM
They like our coaches.
They like the potential of Teddy.
They like the potential of our Defense.
They like different aspects of our team.

Problem is when you look at the make up of the NFC North, it is difficult to say that we are going to finish anywhere but behind the Packers and the Lions.

NFLN Total Access had us finishing 3rd and 4th by the guys that were on that night grading the NCF North. I think we have potential also. Therefore we are a possible sleeper being thrown out there so the writers can say "I knew they could."

I am optimistic also. Skol Vikes!

drewlovs
04-17-2015, 12:05 AM
I agree about Green Bay... but am I the only one who thinks the Lions team just fell apart this offseason?

Suh was the SOUL of that defense, and I fully expect them to be a LOT worst this year. What am I missing?

purplehelmut
04-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Agree. I think the Lions window has opened and closed. Their defense was what put them in position to win games last year and I can't see how that continues with the loss of a couple key players. Chicago will be Chicago and we should at the very least split with them. Green Bay is due to step back a little bit and it might be enough for the Vikings to get one. Been awhile.

drewlovs
04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Dion Sanders has publicly stated many times that Zimmer's defense will surprise people, and to not be surprised if the Vikings compete with GB. Since he does not give compliments like that often, I'll take his word for it, and expect our defense to be solid; and if we have AP and Teddy continues to improve, we SHOULD challenge GB, especially when we aren't in Lamb-boo.

snowinapril
04-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Agree. I think the Lions window has opened and closed. Their defense was what put them in position to win games last year and I can't see how that continues with the loss of a couple key players. Chicago will be Chicago and we should at the very least split with them. Green Bay is due to step back a little bit and it might be enough for the Vikings to get one. Been awhile.

Hmmm, the Lions will still be really good on offense. I think they will take a RB in the 2nd or third, if that pick hits they will be even more solid. On defense, Ngata was a really good replacement for Suh. Suh's contract would have hamstrung them when Ngata will do just fine in the middle. They have some holes on defense they need to fill. They did also lose DT Fairley.

I wouldn't put it past them to make a play for one of the top RBs if they can position themselves correctly. They really only need some RB, CB, LB help.

Round 1
RB TODD GURLEY
GEORGIA
Round 2
CB ERIC ROWE
UTAH
Round 3
S DERRON SMITH
FRESNO STATE
Round 4 possible
Kwon Alexander

I don't even think they need to replace Fairley in the draft. We will see in 11 days who they pick and what they see as their biggest needs.

snowinapril
04-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Not so refreshing....
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483500/article/roster-reset-nfc-north

The way I see it, is it is difficult to go out on a limb when you don't know what the real make up of the Vikings is going to be. We will know after the draft. Who do we pick up in the draft? Will AP have been traded? With a younger team like ours, you don't know what you got until they play those first couple games against good opponent. It is ok to label us as a sleeper team, we might wake up.

With Teddy, it is tough to say what we got without him playing well over time. Look at RG3, he was supposed to be "the man."

RK.
04-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Not so refreshing....

The way I see it, is it is difficult to go out on a limb when you don't know what the real make up of the Vikings is going to be. We will know after the draft. Who do we pick up in the draft? Will AP have been traded? With a younger team like ours, you don't know what you got until they play those first couple games against good opponent. It is ok to label us as a sleeper team, we might wake up.

With Teddy, it is tough to say what we got without him playing well over time. Look at RG3, he was supposed to be "the man."

I think those guys are full of it. We finished ahead of the Bears without AP last year. This year we get AP back and we have added Wallace and our D is better as well. I think we give the Lions a run for their money for second place in the division and a good shot at the wild card.

drewlovs
04-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Not so refreshing....

The NFL Network, when it comes to the Vikings, thinks we are still coached by Frazier and Ponder is our QB... WHEN they remember us at all. No, they don't SAY that, but they act like it when it comes to our chances.

I taped the 3 hour schedule special, and they went over the Giants Schedule 4 times, The Patriots, Dallas and the Seahawks 4 times, GB twice, the BEARS twice... and the Vikings schedule ZERO times. I scanned it 4 times looking for a mention beyond "...they play the Vikings, and though Zimmer has improved the Vikings, that is a very winnable game." (I heard that statement or something close to it multiple teams.) They never even got close.

That they think the Lions are easily the second ranked team out of the NFC North doesn't surprise me at all. That they REMEMBERED us surprises me more. Last year on NFC Playbook when we played the Rams, they mentioned the Vikings when they said, "Now, on to the Rams Vikings game...." and that was IT. They spent 5 or so minute going over how great the Rams defense was, then said they should win easily and moved on.

The NFL Network doesn't seem to think very much of the Vikings.

(It might have been another team other than the Rams, but I was so mad I didn't care. Watching the show was a complete waste of my time).

Traveling_Vike
04-25-2015, 02:25 AM
I can deal with being a sleeper, especially given what seems to happen every time the media DOES think highly of us. It seems like we specialize in proving the pundits wrong, no matter what they think.

drewlovs
04-26-2015, 04:49 PM
I can deal with being a sleeper, especially given what seems to happen every time the media DOES think highly of us. It seems like we specialize in proving the pundits wrong, no matter what they think.

+1