PDA

View Full Version : "Spielman Expects Peterson to Return, Prove a Point"... Then a Question

Pages : [1] 2

drewlovs
03-07-2015, 12:08 AM
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Spielman-Expects-Peterson-to-Return-Prove-a-Point/8f95854e-b612-481c-b53b-2e77b143bc9d

I kinda tuned out on this topic last year, mainly because my wife told me I was not allowed to talk about it in the house since she was sure I would have a coronary. But... my take on this was the Vikings as an organization TRIED to support AP, even re-instating him (until AFTER the trial) since he had yet to be convicted of anything. Then Goodell, still reeling from his complete and utter incompetence in the Rice case, needed a target to throw his proverbial book at and pressured the Vikings to NOT let AP play.

Is my understanding correct? I know sponsors were threatening the team as well- but I am just insuring there wasn't a piece of extremely important need-to-know information that changes everything... you know?

My question is, why would AP feel like the team didn't support him? What am I missing? I'm hoping to see him in purple this next year, and I watched/read a lot on him and the way life kinda did what no one else would... correct a parenting method he used that should have stayed in the past. I personally am confident he will do what he needs to to stay in his kids lives, and the mothers of his children really WANT him there (with the spot light, they will not lose the income he provides either way).

Sorry if this article/video was already posted... it was only meant to be a starting point in the conversation.

RK.
03-07-2015, 11:17 AM
After listening to the interview I don't think there is any doubt AP will be playing for the Vikes next year.

thorshammer
03-07-2015, 12:32 PM
I am excited to see what this team does with TB's continued development a few more pieces and AD back in the fold. We could be a really good team. Looking forward to the season.

snowinapril
03-07-2015, 07:58 PM
That was so difficult last season watching the Rookie QB having the successes he did knowing that AP would have made him better. I was so pissed every game with the NFL and this political mess they got themselves into that didn't allow us to grow together faster. We are going to have to gel in Training Camp and the first 4 weeks of the season. I hope that TB is working as I type this on improving his football skills.

I hope that AP is back, we will be able to see what they can do.

Purple_Jesus
03-07-2015, 09:08 PM
That was so difficult last season watching the Rookie QB having the successes he did knowing that AP would have made him better.

I actually disagree a little. I think having AP would have made his job easier... but forcing him to play without the best back in the league I think made him a better player. He didn't have a crutch to rely on. That's how I see it anyway.

snowinapril
03-08-2015, 03:03 AM
I actually disagree a little. I think having AP would have made his job easier... but forcing him to play without the best back in the league I think made him a better player. He didn't have a crutch to rely on. That's how I see it anyway.

I agree with you. It was good to force TB to grow. But I wanted to see AP come back the last month to gel/blend. You are right, it was a better growing experience. It tested TB and he showed us that he could play straight up.

snowinapril
03-08-2015, 03:25 AM
This is conversation from two players being realistic about what happens in the real world.

So in line with this title, Speilman and Zimmer expect him back. That is why they went down there. I think that Eric and Lavar are spot on. Watch the video....

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFLN_The_Latest_on_Adrian_Peterson/734f3ef8-b18e-4da4-9aa9-433b867623dc

Ted Dibiase
03-08-2015, 12:46 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Spielman-Expects-Peterson-to-Return-Prove-a-Point/8f95854e-b612-481c-b53b-2e77b143bc9d

My question is, why would AP feel like the team didn't support him? What am I missing?

That's what I wonder as well...are we missing something? What did he really expect them to do? I've never heard them say anything that would tell me they don't support him. Does he have no understanding of what he put the organization through? Is he mad because one person thought we should move on? Or that people are looking at that contract and the PR issues and questioning if it's worth it? Does he really think that won't be the case with another team? Obviously we could me missing something, and this is just one dude's opinion, but the more I read, the more I think it's simply a matter of him being upset because some people are not kissing his ass anymore.

Tad7
03-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Peterson is a bad father and delusional about a lot of things.

Now..come run the football for my favorite team and help get us back to the playoffs.

snowinapril
03-08-2015, 03:25 PM
That's what I wonder as well...are we missing something? What did he really expect them to do? I've never heard them say anything that would tell me they don't support him. Does he have no understanding of what he put the organization through? Is he mad because one person thought we should move on? Or that people are looking at that contract and the PR issues and questioning if it's worth it? Does he really think that won't be the case with another team? Obviously we could me missing something, and this is just one dude's opinion, but the more I read, the more I think it's simply a matter of him being upset because some people are not kissing his ass anymore.

I think his camp thinks that one of the Viking Execs was siding with the Goodell. I can't remember the guy's name, but I think it was the guy that the agent got into an argument with at the combine. We have no way of proving or disproving this. Either way, this is where we are at and we need to find a solution quick.

snowinapril
03-08-2015, 03:33 PM
This is conversation from two players being realistic about what happens in the real world.

So in line with this title, Speilman and Zimmer expect him back. That is why they went down there. I think that Eric and Lavar are spot on. Watch the video....

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFLN_The_Latest_on_Adrian_Peterson/734f3ef8-b18e-4da4-9aa9-433b867623dc

Quoting myself here. Thinking about the meeting in Texas, there were no agents there. That is a good sign to me. The Video above in the link basically is two former players saying that "players" ultimately don't get a say in where they play. The way they interpreted this whole situation is a player that would like to play in a few cities and if he can't play there, he will come back and play his ass off in MN. They know and AP knows that AP knows that there are worse things that can happen other than playing for MN.

It is amazing how the print media has whored this story with comments from the agents and Peterson's father. They still will do it until draft day, I am sure.

tarkenton10
03-09-2015, 10:35 AM
I think his camp thinks that one of the Viking Execs was siding with the Goodell. I can't remember the guy's name, but I think it was the guy that the agent got into an argument with at the combine. We have no way of proving or disproving this. Either way, this is where we are at and we need to find a solution quick.

He is mad at Kevin Warren, he thought that Kevin threw him under the bus and helped Goodell making a case against him. He is mad at the org. because after the case was decided against him the Vikings then promoted Mr. Warren to COO (I believe) and that I guess was a slap in the face to AP (in his mind). The guy who he feels got him suspended is given a promotion by the org. he has worked for all those years.

The confrontation, I believe was between his agent and Rob Brzezinski, our cap and contract guru. That happened at the combine, why Rob was there I don't know, I guess he is Vice president of football operations, so he should be there.

drewlovs
03-10-2015, 05:41 PM
AP will have something to prove this next season, where ever he plays... and it would be just our luck it isn't for us. With no Rice making Goddell look the idiot he is, AP gets suspended for 6 games and they make him publicly apologize and explain why what he did was wrong (and thus show he HAS remorse and understands why people were so upset). WITH Rice, AP gets the punishment that should have hit the elevator wife beater. This was ALL about Goodell wanting to look tough, plain and simple.

But I thought it was a stand up thing for the organization to do, re-instating him when they did- and Goodell has the power to destroy our team, and the cow towing to that pressure was inevitable. Hell, Al Davis caved as well, though he also sued the hell out of the NFL continuously.

In the end, I really think AP wants to play for his hometown team (aka, the Dallas Cowboys). Right now, I think THAT is why Murray has not been signed by Jones; he is waiting to see if AP can free himself of the Vikings. While I understand wanting to play for the team you grew up loving (and it happens to be close to where his family is), I truly hope the Vikings get their shit together and put this to rest quickly and efficiently.

snowinapril
03-14-2015, 08:19 PM
I was thinking that we were out of the clear with AP being in Purple next season. It has been a little concerning that more hasn't been talked about. They are probably just keeping this internal because there isn't anything to talk about. But then I was thinking, could a draft day trade still work or a trade leading up to the draft worth a lot of draft picks and possible players.

AP is the highest paid RB by far. The top FA was paid 9 million a year. Lynch was wrapped up for 24 Million over 2 years. AP gets more expensive over the next few years. I think this is how AP gets a trade if he wants it. He says what he is willing to restructure in Dallas saying that he won't restructure in Minnesota. I don't think we can afford to pay a player of his age that kind of money. But, we have to honor the contract or set him loose. The best thing for us would be to win enough this year that it makes all the players think they are going to make it to the SB next year. Then maybe AP would restructure and take a little less and take on some incentives and bonuses.

Peterson..........................................Lynch..........Murray
2015 15.5 Million total cap hit........8.5..............5.0
2016 15.0......................................11.5.............8.0
2017 17.........................................12.5.............9.0

The Cowboys did pick up McFadden as a back up and I think they will go for Gordon or Gurley if they can't get a trade for AP.

Arizona could be in the mix. Indy has taken themselves out by signing Gore.

AP would play for the Vikings if a trade doesn't go through with a desired team before entertaining any thought of playing with Jag or Raiders. That is one reason for AP to meet with the Vikings like he did this last week to explain his wants and wishes. If there are no takers, it might be because of the money he is owed in his contract.

It is a good thing that there is now something for the reporters to report other than making shit up about how AP was going to dictate where he plays.

snowinapril
03-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Peterson..........................................Lynch..........Murray
2015 15.5 Million total cap hit........8.5..............5.0
2016 15.0......................................11.5.............8.0
2017 17.........................................12.5.............9.0

Heck, what is the value of a RB. Here is Wallace's numbers.

2015 9.0
2016 11.5
2017 11.5

Seriously! What is the value of a RB. Wallace is not in the top 3 WRs in the NFL.

MaxVike
03-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Ok, so, Yo Adrian.......GROW UP. The article below sums up my feelings nicely.

http://http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/3/14/8215829/report-adrian-peterson-still-not-happy-with-minnesota-vikings

RK.
03-15-2015, 11:44 AM
I agree with that article as well Max.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/3/14/8215829/report-adrian-peterson-still-not-happy-with-minnesota-vikings

mountainviking
03-15-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't know WTF to think about this situation anymore, so I've pretty much just given up expecting anything and will look at the details when it finally works itself out...

Dallas couldn't afford Murrey, how will they pay Peterson 5 million more than Murrey got? I think he's had too much time off and has been day dreaming a bit too much. Arizona? Maybe, but they'd have to pay him and us and the price is steep on both ends. Thing is, it isn't likely that any other team in the league is willing to pay him 13 mill or more per season...or any good teams anyway. IF he goes to a "good" team, they'll likely already be paying a QB over 20 mil/year and that will make it hard to pay one RB 13 or 15...that would be spending close to a third of your cap for 53 players salaries going to 2 guys!

And, you don't just give away the possibly best RB of all time when you've got his rights for 3 more years. He's easily worth more than Percy Harvin. I'm thinking two firsts or 3 seconds or maybe, a first and third this year and a 2nd next year...minimum!

Ted Dibiase
03-15-2015, 08:06 PM
At this point I think it's safe to assume that Peterson doesn't want to be a Viking. If he did, I can't see why he wouldn't say so. Not sure how reliable, but I just read a SB Nation article that says Arizona is offering a 2nd rounder. I think we should take it...eventually if it doesn't get better. I think Spielman will play this the right way and get the most value by not rushing to do anything, because everyone knows he doesn't have to. I think this is the big question: Just how bad he wants out, and if it becomes clear he's a Viking this year, will he be a problem? I am looking at this glass-half-full. That cap space plus a second rounder would be nice. Having a productive Peterson would be nice.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2015/3/14/8215509/arizona-cardinals-reportedly-prepared-to-offer-high-draft-pick-for

RK.
03-15-2015, 08:18 PM
A second round pick??? Are you kidding? Maybe Fitzgerald and a second round pick.

thorshammer
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
A second round pick??? Are you kidding? Maybe Fitzgerald and a second round pick.
I agree. I would never trade AP plus a 7th for a second round pick. Not enough value there.
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/3/15/8219867/vikings-free-agency-report-vikings-cardinals-working-on-peterson-trade

Ted Dibiase
03-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Not kidding at all. That contract is a really big deal and eliminates most NFL teams as trading partners. And if this perceived disloyalty thing is a long-term problem (I don't know that it will be), all things considered I believe the team is better off trading him. The Fitzgerald idea is interesting though.

Tad7
03-15-2015, 10:53 PM
I laugh at a 2nd round pick for Peterson.

He's going to play for the Vikings. He COULD take his crybaby act all the way and not show up to training camp and miss games..but he won't. He loves playing football and cares about records. And he probably loves money too.

Personally, I don't want to trade Adrian period...but it would have to be at least a 1st rounder or some immediate starting players to fill holes. I hope they don't give in to something ridiculous like the 55th overall pick.

midgensa
03-16-2015, 08:37 AM

He's going to play for the Vikings. He COULD take his crybaby act all the way and not show up to training camp and miss games..but he won't. He loves playing football and cares about records. And he probably loves money too.

Personally, I don't want to trade Adrian period...but it would have to be at least a 1st rounder or some immediate starting players to fill holes. I hope they don't give in to something ridiculous like the 55th overall pick.

I agree completely. I would live with the first rounder. But, honestly ... that would not be enough. Teams like Dallas and Arizona have to see that AD is someone that could win them a Super Bowl NOW. They need to part with the fair value for that.

Both teams have such late second rounders that there is not enough value there, IMO. Contract or not. The simple fact is Adrian has no years after this because he can be cut for a much smaller hit, so the backend of his contract is not that big of a deal.

I expect him to be in Vikings purple next year. But there of course is the possibility that draft comes and people start throwing things at us.

C Mac D
03-16-2015, 11:13 AM
You guys are lying to yourselves. There's no way Adrian Peterson plays for the Vikings this season. Not sure what's going to happen, but he'll most likely be cut before the season. No team will take-on his $45M contract... maybe the Cardinals, but I highly doubt it.

And don't scoff at a 2nd round pick, that's about as high as we'd get right now.

You guys need to come back down to earth a bit.

C Mac D
03-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Not kidding at all. That contract is a really big deal and eliminates most NFL teams as trading partners. And if this perceived disloyalty thing is a long-term problem (I don't know that it will be), all things considered I believe the team is better off trading him. The Fitzgerald idea is interesting though.

Million Dollar Man with a Million Dollar perspective!

Ted Dibiase
03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
If we end up with Peterson on the roster I'm not going to be disappointed or anything. I just think trading him opens up some interesting possibilities for this team. Maybe if he restructures we can get a first rounder plus, which would be awesome. Even a second is a pretty high pick though. We could use it to move up a few spots and make sure we get, say, Amari Cooper. Or trade up into the first again and get Melvin Gordon. There are several big re-signings coming next year...that cap room could be used to lock down a contract or two that would otherwise not get done until after next season and at a higher cost. Maybe at this time next year, after one more year of developing this young team and heading into the new stadium, a need that can be addressed with one big FA signing becomes apparent and will be more doable. Long term, I believe trading is the right move. For this year, probably not, but I don't think it's as bad as others do.

C Mac D
03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
If we end up with Peterson on the roster I'm not going to be disappointed or anything. I just think trading him opens up some interesting possibilities for this team. Maybe if he restructures we can get a first rounder plus, which would be awesome. Even a second is a pretty high pick though. We could use it to move up a few spots and make sure we get, say, Amari Cooper. Or trade up into the first again and get Melvin Gordon. There are several big re-signings coming next year...that cap room could be used to lock down a contract or two that would otherwise not get done until after next season and at a higher cost. Maybe at this time next year, after one more year of developing this young team and heading into the new stadium, a need that can be addressed with one big FA signing becomes apparent and will be more doable. Long term, I believe trading is the right move. For this year, probably not, but I don't think it's as bad as others do.

That's exactly what I was thinking. We could really use Amari Cooper, but I fear the Mike Wallace trade has taken us out that discussion. The Vikes desperately need help at OL too.

digital420
03-16-2015, 12:02 PM
if we were talking about this, and AP played last year with s very sub performance for him, (great for other rb's) then i'd say, a 2nd and later round wold suffice as equal value @ this point.

But the fact he didn't play last year, is healthy and biting @ the chomp to play, to prove he's the unique talent we've seen for years. this is something you can't value. AP when determined to the point of having a chip on his shoulder causes 11 players on defenses to focus on him.

My ideal circumstance? AP comes back in Purple, rocks the nfl sideways. his value leaps, and we trade him for the final pieces we need going into next season. we do great and he wants to stay. even better. he wants out? we showcase his talent @ creating highlight reels.

now if he drags this out, like a cry baby.. watch his value drop, and him end up on the raiders.
DiGiTaL

RK.
03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Some of you guys sound like you think we need to resign AP. We don't. All the FO has to do is give him the date they want to see him in training camp. He will be a Viking next year. Beyond that we will have to see. If we were going to trade him we would have done it already. Teams are maxing out their FA money at this point. In 2012 he was the NFL MVP and last year he got to rest up and comes back with no injuries. Only a stupid front office would cut him or trade him for some second round rookie.

Ted Dibiase
03-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Don't I feel silly...sounding like I'm thinking something I didn't say. Maybe I should not say it again. Of course they can tell him to show up...take the extra $13 million hit on the cap, and hope that his professionalism and body hold up against what is coming. If only a stupid front office would trade a great 30 year old running back with a huge contract for a second rounder, why have we only heard of one team (maybe) offering that much for him? We all know that stuff gets out these days.

snowinapril
03-16-2015, 10:22 PM
You guys are lying to yourselves. There's no way Adrian Peterson plays for the Vikings this season. Not sure what's going to happen, but he'll most likely be cut before the season. No team will take-on his $45M contract... maybe the Cardinals, but I highly doubt it.

And don't scoff at a 2nd round pick, that's about as high as we'd get right now.

C Mac D
03-17-2015, 09:01 AM

Is that Voice of Reason Valerie?

tarkenton10
03-17-2015, 10:47 AM

There is no way they will cut AP and have the hit on the salary cap and get nothing for him. If they planned on that they would have cut him last year rather than paying him his salary.

C Mac D
03-17-2015, 12:01 PM
There is no way they will cut AP and have the hit on the salary cap and get nothing for him. If they planned on that they would have cut him last year rather than paying him his salary.

You might just be surprised.

tastywaves
03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
3 options being pursued on AP as I see it:
1) restructure AD's contract and stay in MN -- Vikings preference...AD maybe not so much.
2) Trade if they can get the right price (mid 2nd or better?) -- this will also be contingent on AD restructuring a contract that will most likely pay him significantly less than in MN. The teams that can do this, probably not teams that AD is real interested in, exception of Tampa who he appears to have some interest in.
3) Pay AD his 2015 contract amount and let it play out this year...restructure during the year, trade or possibly cut after the year..

I'm holding on #3 as the most likely still.

RK.
03-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Here is the deal as I see it. You look at the big teams with the big time QB's like Romo, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, these guys are pulling down 17 to 20+ million a year. Our QB is getting about 1.5 million. This allows us to pay AP for the next couple of years at least with no renegotiation. IMO he is as big an impact player any time he touches the ball as anyone in the NFL. I realize that other running backs in the NFL don't make that kind of money but then none of them are Adrian Peterson. Some day we will have to shell out big money for a QB but not for the next three years at least. If teams that are going to the playoffs and the super bowl are paying their guys big money we can pay AP until we have to spend big money for a QB.

midgensa
03-17-2015, 01:56 PM

It is not about coming down to Earth. Anybody who wants Adrian can get out of the albatross of a contract at the end of the year. Nobody will owe him that $45 million. That is why he has no leverage and that is what he is trying to do here.

He is trying to restructure for MORE guaranteed money. He now knows he has no chance of seeing the back end numbers on this contract and he wants to get more guaranteed before he cannot earn anymore. With his reputation where it is, his age where it is, and his lack of ability to talk on camera he has little future earning potential.

He went into last season hoping to get a restructure at the end of it to give him more promised monies and to help the Vikings with cap numbers. But after all the shit ... that can't happen. Anyone who wants him has to eat his contract next year, but that is it. The $45 million left on it is all a joke (like most NFL contracts) because the NFL does not guarantee shit.

I think it is likely we can get no more than a second round pick for him. But if Dallas and Arizona are serious ... then they need to pony up that backend first rounder ... or we let Adrian run for us at least one more year. Hurting his value to those teams even more and closing their window even more. They want him ... I think they need to pay. I am not saying that is what we will get offered ... I am saying THAT I would not part with him for less.

EDIT: Now I don't think these teams will take him with the intention of cutting him. So, for purposes of that, they need to restructure a deal to get rid of the ridiculous $45 million still left. But he has said he is willing to restructure. He knows he is not going to see the rest of this contract, but he might think he can get $17m guaranteed instead of $12.75m and that is a big difference at this point of his career.

tarkenton10
03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
You might just be surprised.

I would be drop dead surprised if they cut him this year. Next year he will be owed a lot of money and his hit on the cap is enormous so if they are going to cut him my money is on next year. If they can't redo his contract look for a trade this time next year.

tastywaves
03-17-2015, 02:31 PM
I would be drop dead surprised if they cut him this year. Next year he will be owed a lot of money and his hit on the cap is enormous so if they are going to cut him my money is on next year. If they can't redo his contract look for a trade this time next year.

According to spotrac, the current contract has the following cap hits:

2015: $15.4M ($2.4M dead money)
2016: $15M
2017: $17M

'16 and '17 have no cap hit if he is released. This is what midgensa is pointing out on why AD wants to spin a deal ASAP with more guaranteed money.

tarkenton10
03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
According to spotrac, the current contract has the following cap hits:

2015: $15.4M ($2.4M dead money)
2016: $15M
2017: $17M

'16 and '17 have no cap hit if he is released. This is what midgensa is pointing out on why AD wants to spin a deal ASAP with more guaranteed money.

That is why my money is on next year, if they can't trade him they could cut him next year. This year we have the money and his hit on the cap is not as big.

C Mac D
03-17-2015, 03:22 PM
That is why my money is on next year, if they can't trade him they could cut him next year. This year we have the money and his hit on the cap is not as big.

If he even plays.

tastywaves
03-17-2015, 03:51 PM
If he even plays.

He'll play. His family (the ones that aren't sure they are comfortable in MN) will make sure that those paychecks are coming in, because they will be much more comfortable with those paychecks than without them. Comfort is the real driver here.

thorshammer
03-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Why are we shopping AP. Let's just have him play for us this year and see what happens.
http://seattle.suntimes.com/nfl/7/72/805400/adrian-peterson-being-shopped-by-vikings

EricTheViking
03-18-2015, 02:47 AM
This article from nfl.com addresses many of the things already discussed in this thread:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479692/article/making-a-case-for-adrian-petersons-return-to-vikings

I think its mostly spot on but what's funny is the following statement quoted from it:

"The Buccaneers and Jaguars also make sense as potential suitors, but would Peterson want to join a rebuilding team?"

You know -- he wouldn't want to leave a powerhouse playoff contending team to join a rebuilding team and all.

tarkenton10
03-18-2015, 08:21 AM
This article from nfl.com addresses many of the things already discussed in this thread:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479692/article/making-a-case-for-adrian-petersons-return-to-vikings

I think its mostly spot on but what's funny is the following statement quoted from it:

"The Buccaneers and Jaguars also make sense as potential suitors, but would Peterson want to join a rebuilding team?"

You know -- he wouldn't want to leave a powerhouse playoff contending team to join a rebuilding team and all.

We are a lot further along the evolutionary ladder then those two org.

RK.
03-18-2015, 10:43 AM

I agree with this article as well. The two most interesting things in it for me are the statements that the Vikings are not shopping AP around and that AP has not requested a trade. I also read an interview with one of our guys that has been working out with Peterson in Houston and he says AP is in the best shape he has ever seen him in and that he is ready to play. I think he will be the leading rusher this year with at least 1600 yrds if not more.

C Mac D
03-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a trade to Arizona is the most likely scenario.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/19/peterson-trade-to-arizona-could-soon-be-negotiated-in-arizona/

Within a week, we’ll likely know a lot more. Over the weekend, all 32 teams will arrive in Arizona for the annual league meetings. The power brokers for every franchise will be present, with plenty of opportunities to have face-to-face conversations about any and all possible trades.

The Cardinals continue to be the most likely destination for Peterson. Despite Peter King’s report that the Cardinals won’t absorb Peterson’s current contract, the presence of comments supporting the move from Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald — on the team’s official website — make it clear that the Cardinals remain in play, if they can work out compensation packages with the player and the team that holds his rights.

C Mac D
03-19-2015, 01:55 PM
A part of that article I really agree with:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/19/peterson-trade-to-arizona-could-soon-be-negotiated-in-arizona/
Yes, both Peterson and the team suffered the consequences of Peterson’s inability to play last year. But the consequences didn’t come from anything the Vikings did. Why should they give Peterson away to another team just because he prefers to play somewhere else in the aftermath of the mess that ultimately traces to his behavior?

tastywaves
03-19-2015, 02:22 PM
A part of that article I really agree with:

Yep. I hope they don't trade him because that's what he wants, they should only do it if they get the right value for him.

I'm skeptical they will get the right trade value, so forcing him to play in MN next year still seems the logical conclusion to this thing. I doubt he would sit out, and if he does, he will mostly hurt himself.

marshallvike
03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Yep. I hope they don't trade him because that's what he wants, they should only do it if they get the right value for him.

I'm skeptical they will get the right trade value, so forcing him to play in MN next year still seems the logical conclusion to this thing. I doubt he would sit out, and if he does, he will mostly hurt himself.

If he sits out there will be a lot of unhappy baby mommas making their voices heard. :-)

VikingMike
03-19-2015, 08:50 PM

+1

tarkenton10
03-20-2015, 11:16 AM
+1

My gut feeling tells me he is worried about the guaranteed money the last two years of his contract. If he has a career ending injury this year he gets nothing from the contract. I bet he would feel a lot better about how he was treated if he was guaranteed twenty or thirty million for the length of his contract. Suddenly he would love the city and all the fans who supported him.

drewlovs
03-20-2015, 12:45 PM
My gut feeling tells me he is worried about the guaranteed money the last two years of his contract. If he has a career ending injury this year he gets nothing from the contract. I bet he would feel a lot better about how he was treated if he was guaranteed twenty or thirty million for the length of his contract. Suddenly he would love the city and all the fans who supported him.

From what I've read (before my wife put a ban on any new or conversations regarding AD in my house), there were suits in our front office who were bad-mouthing Peterson a LOT. Let's suppose they were not afraid to say it to Peterson or his agent... this could really be how it sounds, he was legitimately hurt by what the Vikings were saying.

Being a tough disciplinarian is fixable; beating a woman up is another story. I got very angry that AD was lumped in with 2 other guys that were true pieces of shit. I trust the mothers involved, though I STILL can't figure out why none of them told AD "don't you DARE do that to my child again!!" The fact that each of those women could kick him out of their and their child's lives and get every penny they are due but still want him to be the father figure they need says a lot about the man.

The fact that the Wilfs had to personally talk to AD about all this to assure him the ugly talk is not the attitude of the team as a whole says another; I think there were suits that went too far last year, creating a lot of bad blood. Getting rid of the back-bitters in the organization might be all that is necessary for all of us to move on... well, and getting Goodell out of the process would help immensely too.

drewlovs
03-20-2015, 12:58 PM
There is a story I think I should relate to explain my attitude.

When I was a teenager, my brother had a friend (let's call him John) with a father that used a paddle when John did something wrong. The father was a good man; he was just extremely heavy handed when it came to punishment. MY father ended up talking to the man; it did not go well, but my dad refused to back down.

A year later, John told my father tearfully that everything changed after that conversation. The paddle disappeared, and he could honestly say he and his father were best friends, at a time when a man NEEDS to be close to his father (John was 15). Physical punishment was off the table, and the father turned out to be a VERY good father otherwise. He just used his own parent's methods when it came to his children. He THOUGHT he was doing the right thing.

I think AD also thought he was doing the right thing, but he sucks at using a switch. He didn't strike out of anger, and he was trying to fix behaviors in a way he knew worked with himself. Something tells me he has been taught new ways to accomplish the same thing, and this is a dead issue... except when it comes to Goodell and some jerks in the Viking's front office.

One other thing... I was not allowed to read up on any of this for awhile; understand, my wife didn't threaten me or anything, she just sat me down with my 2 older daughters and they all asked that I not get so worked up. They made me realize I needed to step away for awhile. Sooo.... there might be a few stories I did not read, and some of my information might be inaccurate. I do not mind being corrected if that is the case.

jargomcfargo
03-20-2015, 01:16 PM
From what I've read (before my wife put a ban on any new or conversations regarding AD in my house), there were suits in our front office who were bad-mouthing Peterson a LOT. Let's suppose they were not afraid to say it to Peterson or his agent... this could really be how it sounds, he was legitimately hurt by what the Vikings were saying.

Being a tough disciplinarian is fixable; beating a woman up is another story. I got very angry that AD was lumped in with 2 other guys that were true pieces of shit. I trust the mothers involved, though I STILL can't figure out why none of them told AD "don't you DARE do that to my child again!!" The fact that each of those women could kick him out of their and their child's lives and get every penny they are due but still want him to be the father figure they need says a lot about the man.

The fact that the Wilfs had to personally talk to AD about all this to assure him the ugly talk is not the attitude of the team as a whole says another; I think there were suits that went too far last year, creating a lot of bad blood. Getting rid of the back-bitters in the organization might be all that is necessary for all of us to move on... well, and getting Goodell out of the process would help immensely too.
I believe Peterson is simply using the 'Suits in the front office' as an excuse to go to a more competitive team. The Vikings are beginning to show potential, but far less than most of the teams Peterson would like to play for. And time is running out for AP.

C Mac D
03-20-2015, 03:14 PM
It's being reported that his agent refused a dinner meeting with Vikings GM Rick Spielman at the NFL owners' meetings.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4169/adrian-peterson

VikesfaninWis
03-20-2015, 04:21 PM
I for one am sick and tired of hearing about Peterson having issues about coming back because his feelings are hurt that they didn't fully embrace him after he beat a 4 year old child.

I am a huge Vikings fan, and I am a huge Adrian Peterson fan. If he doesn't want to be here, get rid of his ass plain and simple. Trade his whiny ass to the crappiest team that makes an offer so he is stuck playing for a team that will go nowhere.

Through the media he has cried and cried some more about not getting embraced by the front office after this all came out. Dude, you beat a helpless 4 year old child who couldn't defend himself, there are pictures of the kids injuries, you admitted that you did it, why should any person, associated with any team in the league, or any fan of any team in the league embrace your ass? Get the help you need, embrace a return to the only franchise that you have played for. You think members of any other front office won't have reservations of making a trade offer for you knowing what you did? People in this country have issues with grown men or women that beat kids, sorry. You said you're dad did that to you growing up, think that kind of personality is what made dear old dad spend time in prison? It's not like he was the best man in the world to take after.

This is just my opinion, but if he cries some more, get rid of his ass. Zimmer and company are starting to build something special, the last thing this team needs is another unwelcomed distraction.

tastywaves
03-20-2015, 04:55 PM
I for one am sick and tired of hearing about Peterson having issues about coming back because his feelings are hurt that they didn't fully embrace him after he beat a 4 year old child.

I am a huge Vikings fan, and I am a huge Adrian Peterson fan. If he doesn't want to be here, get rid of his ass plain and simple. Trade his whiny ass to the crappiest team that makes an offer so he is stuck playing for a team that will go nowhere.

Through the media he has cried and cried some more about not getting embraced by the front office after this all came out. Dude, you beat a helpless 4 year old child who couldn't defend himself, there are pictures of the kids injuries, you admitted that you did it, why should any person, associated with any team in the league, or any fan of any team in the league embrace your ass? Get the help you need, embrace a return to the only franchise that you have played for. You think members of any other front office won't have reservations of making a trade offer for you knowing what you did? People in this country have issues with grown men or women that beat kids, sorry. You said you're dad did that to you growing up, think that kind of personality is what made dear old dad spend time in prison? It's not like he was the best man in the world to take after.

This is just my opinion, but if he cries some more, get rid of his ass. Zimmer and company are starting to build something special, the last thing this team needs is another unwelcomed distraction.

I would ignore all of this reported information. If he stays on his current contract, he will play full speed and do everything he can to maximize his earning potential.

This is more than likely all about getting more guaranteed money in a new contract. He's getting older and knows his next major injury could very well be his last. If he doesn't feel MN is willing to do restructure right now with the terms he wants (see Dogra yelling at FO and refusing dinner), then they want to force the issue for a trade and get it from someone else.

Counter with MN saying they will not release Adrian. The trade partners may be drying up and AD's desire to get his guaranteed contract might be drying up as well which puts Dogra in AD's crosshairs and around and around we spin.

Adrian may be a lot of things when it comes to parenting, but I find it very hard to believe he would be a cancer in the locker room. That's not something you just develop overnight, either your a selfish ass or your not. I read it as the guy is just negotiating and the Vikings want to see what he's got left before commiting to a new contract (which could easily happen during the season).

C Mac D
03-20-2015, 04:57 PM

This.

I agree 100%.

NodakPaul
03-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Agree.

My view on this: AD is not a free agent. He is UNDER CONTRACT, and he needs to stop acting like he is the one holding the cards.

I am tired of him being butt hurt over the way some of the executives treated him last year. Bottom line is he did something wrong and has to accept the consequences for it. And he needs to get his ass out there and actually play the game that he is being paid millions to play.

VikingMike
03-21-2015, 10:23 AM
This is really getting ugly, and it will get uglier before it's finally resolved. We all know AD has no leverage, but by demanding a trade, it really erodes any trade value he has. I wonder what is really behind AD's adamant stance of wanting out of MN?

How could Dogra think for a minute the Vikings would just release him? Both sides are digging in, but I want this thing resolved before camp opens.

jargomcfargo
03-21-2015, 12:25 PM
I wonder what is really behind AD's adamant stance of wanting out of MN?

The Vikings have had what, one winning season in the last five years? Time is running out for AP. He's using this self induced mess in an attempt to get to a more competitive team.
Or he just isn't man enough to stand up in Minnesota and say," I made a mistake, please forgive me, it won't happen again, let's play some football."
Otherwise none of this makes sense to me. The notion that AP is butt hurt over some comments and is some how the victim here is ridiculous.
He's a great football player. Maybe he's not a man!

snowinapril
03-21-2015, 02:51 PM
Dogra, do you want to have dinner?

Well Rick, are we going to negotiate a new contract with guaranteed money?

No Dogra, no!

Well Rick, call be back when we can negotiate over dinner.

I think they probably have put their contract terms to the Vikings and they are sticking to it. They have no grounds due to being under contract. What is having dinner going to solve if they have asked for something and haven't gotten it. They just need to have a contract ready to appease Dogra. ???????

This is tiring!

I am sure that the Vikings are like, "wasn't last year the guaranteed money." We did get him on the exempt list, without being on that list, he would have been suspended and wouldn't have gotten paid. IDK

snowinapril
03-21-2015, 02:58 PM
I guess they are positioning to get a possible trade up to or in the draft. If AP is still under contract after the draft and they are still whining around, I will be worried. That will probably mean a hold out. It could still be a bluff.

He is wasting a lot of time.

The other thing that would worry me is if a Viking player would come out and say he is stating that he is not playing for the Vikings next season. Right now, it is the agent causing most of the problem. He is trying to get suitors to come to the Vikings with offers.

digital420
03-22-2015, 05:03 AM
I guess they are positioning to get a possible trade up to or in the draft. If AP is still under contract after the draft and they are still whining around, I will be worried. That will probably mean a hold out. It could still be a bluff.

He is wasting a lot of time.

The other thing that would worry me is if a Viking player would come out and say he is stating that he is not playing for the Vikings next season. Right now, it is the agent causing most of the problem. He is trying to get suitors to come to the Vikings with offers.

it might just be me, but I don't see AP being smart enouf to utilize this whole thing as a way to exit Minny. I do see his agent in the background saying, "hey.. you want to go to dallas huh? let me work some PR magic. you'll look like the victim, it might be messy for a year, but you'll get what you want in the end" as much as the agent is gonna show AP love.. i'm sure he'd love to guarantee the fact he'll make multi millions of APs contract.. just in case he does something stupid, or gets hurt and isn't paid for the '15-16 season.

I don't see any trade or draft day change coming. AP will be in purple for this year, and depending on how it pans out. either stays or is traded. unless he bombs out this season. his value can only go up after this last season mess.

DiGiTaL

snowinapril
03-22-2015, 12:46 PM
His value to us can only go up. There is no other back pushing his total contract dollars for the next two years. All other positions inch there way up in dollar value, the RBs are not doing that. That is why it is difficult for me to think that he gets on with another team with his current contract. Is that why they want to redo the contract? To structure it in a way that another team could take him on?

RK.
03-22-2015, 01:52 PM
I think everyone involved in this crap needs a good whipping. Dogra, AP, the front office suits, the media, and CMacD for good measure. :haha:

If nothing comes of any trades this weekend in the AZ gathering I suspect someone will announce that AP will be in Purple this year. I think the FO is hoping that will be AP making the announcement instead of them.

VikingMike
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
The Vikings have had what, one winning season in the last five years? Time is running out for AP. He's using this self induced mess in an attempt to get to a more competitive team.
Or he just isn't man enough to stand up in Minnesota and say," I made a mistake, please forgive me, it won't happen again, let's play some football."
Otherwise none of this makes sense to me. The notion that AP is butt hurt over some comments and is some how the victim here is ridiculous.
He's a great football player. Maybe he's not a man!

I agree, it makes little sense to me too.

If he wants to go to a more competitive team, and that may very well be, then why did he sign this contract? Did he think at the time he signed the contract that the Vikings were on the right track to get to the SB? And now, has he just woken up and realized he's 30 and his career is winding down?

If he doesn't like the way the Vikings handled the mess that he himself created (and never even attempted to clean up), then too bad. He got paid for not playing last season.

If he's pissed off that the Vikings promoted Warren to COO, again too bad. What would he have any say about who is the COO? And seriously, what dealings has he ever had with the team's COO?

I'm so disgusted with this whole thing, his agent Dogra, and especially the way Peterson handled the whole affair. He's never shown an ounce of remorse for what he did to his son...what, he's too much of a man to do that? He's turned out to be one big crybaby.

He holds no cards in this deal. And it's a Catch-22 with Dogra and AD fighting back...his trade value to the Vikes goes down, thus they won't trade him (and also rightfully won't release him). Dirty, ugly stuff going on...just another day in the world of the Vikings.

purplehelmut
03-23-2015, 09:57 AM
He is under contract. The Vikings have ALL the leverage. Peterson can cry and whine about a trade all he wants but the bottom line he is obligated to play for the Vikings this season. Time is on the Vikings side here. Other teams are planning their draft and working their cap numbers. Minnesota can force Peterson to uphold his obligation or he can be used a trade bait for draft picks. Either way, the Vikings are in the driver's seat and in no hurry.

C Mac D
03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
We always knew Peterson wasn't the brightest bulb in the batch, but this is taking it to a new extreme. The Vikings organization has done nothing wrong... Peterson beat his child, end of story. The league and team had to respond in suit. He should be apologizing profusely and chomping at the bit to get back on the field.

Instead, he's accusing the Vikings and NFL of wrongdoing and throwing a hissy-fit about wanting a trade. This shows how dim Peterson truly is. Frankly, I don't want him on the team anymore. I don't wish him any ill-will, but I also want to move on.

We don't need a guy that beats children and scores a 16 on the Wonderlic test.

RK.
03-23-2015, 12:34 PM
To be fair CMacD the courts did rule in favor of the NFLPA and AP saying in effect that the NFL did do wrong.

midgensa
03-23-2015, 01:35 PM
We always knew Peterson wasn't the brightest bulb in the batch, but this is taking it to a new extreme. The Vikings organization has done nothing wrong... Peterson beat his child, end of story. The league and team had to respond in suit. He should be apologizing profusely and chomping at the bit to get back on the field.

Instead, he's accusing the Vikings and NFL of wrongdoing and throwing a hissy-fit about wanting a trade. This shows how dim Peterson truly is. Frankly, I don't want him on the team anymore. I don't wish him any ill-will, but I also want to move on.

In one of the many threads I made a post somewhat similar. But this whole situation brings to light something I always thought might be hiding under ADs smiles, something you could hear in interview after interview if you really tried ... AD is all about AD ... period.

NOW ... he is so great, that was OK for a while. But, he always talked about how many yards HE wanted. What HE could do. How much HE could go for. He would toss in an obligatory, "I want to win the Super Bowl" quote, which was no doubt true. But AD wants to win a Super Bowl for AD's legacy, nothing else. Not for the players he plays with. Not for the work they all go through. Not for the city or the coaches. He wants everything that will make ADs longterm earning potential more. Period. It is all he has ever really cared about.

tastywaves
03-23-2015, 02:28 PM

Now you want football players to be smart. It's going to get pretty hard to field a team pretty soon.

AD wants guaranteed money. The Vikings hold all the cards, they will decide his future and AD along with most players have very little choice in where they will play unless he is willing to give up a lot. I don't buy the whole MN dissed me thing and I really don't care if it is. The new collective agreement makes it even harder for a player to skip out of their contract to prevent this type of BS. Owner's won yet another key point in the contract. they gave in a bit on profit sharing and the player's greed overcame them and they caved on many key other items (discipline, holdouts, rookie pay ...). Now they are seeing how much they gave up to get it.

C Mac D
03-23-2015, 02:41 PM
To be fair CMacD the courts did rule in favor of the NFLPA and AP saying in effect that the NFL did do wrong.

The NFL had to act, especially after the Ray Rice incident, and they knew that any sort of appeal wouldn't be dealt with until the offseason.

Not trying to take the NFL's side here, but the fact is they had to react because Peterson beat his child. The NFL didn't just decide to punish Peterson out of thin air. Once the judge ruled in favor of the NFLPA, Peterson should have said, "I'm happy to have this incident behind me. It's been very tough for me and my family but has helped me grow as a person. Now I'm ready to get back out on the field and play some football."

VikingMike
03-23-2015, 02:49 PM

I agree 100%. Did he really get a 16?

C Mac D
03-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Now you want football players to be smart. It's going to get pretty hard to field a team pretty soon.

Ain't that the truth...

RK.
03-23-2015, 03:49 PM
The NFL had to act, especially after the Ray Rice incident, and they knew that any sort of appeal wouldn't be dealt with until the offseason.

Not trying to take the NFL's side here, but the fact is they had to react because Peterson beat his child. The NFL didn't just decide to punish Peterson out of thin air. Once the judge ruled in favor of the NFLPA, Peterson should have said, "I'm happy to have this incident behind me. It's been very tough for me and my family but has helped me grow as a person. Now I'm ready to get back out on the field and play some football."

I agree he should have sucked it up and put this crap behind him after the ruling. I wonder how much influence his manager has in trying to use this situation to his advantage in contract negotiations. Or is AP telling his manager what he wants him to do. It seems to me if AP had risen above it all as you suggested he would be in a much better position today both in the press and with the fans and in negotiating the contract he wants.

I also agree the NFL had to react but I think what they did was not in the interest of anyone concerned. Basically they over reacted to the sensationalist media and the bind they got themselves with the Rice affair by doing the wrong thing there as well. Pretty much it was a complete failure on everyone's part.

PInfante97
03-23-2015, 04:08 PM

for once i agree with you :crazy:

I see 4 options

Option 1 - We trade him and get multiple 1st rounders

Option 2 - We trade him and get an elite player

Option 3 - He plays for us and he gets paid $12,750,000

Option 4 - He sits out and does not get paid and we are going to go at you to get back the 2.4Mil dollar prorated signing bonus.

YOUR MOVE ADRIAN

#HARDBALL

NodakPaul
03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
for once i agree with you :crazy:

I see 4 options

Option 1 - We trade him and get multiple 1st rounders

Option 2 - We trade him and get an elite player

Option 3 - He plays for us and he gets paid $12,750,000

Option 4 - He sits out and does not get paid and we are going to go at you to get back the 2.4Mil dollar prorated signing bonus.

YOUR MOVE ADRIAN

#HARDBALL

Option 1 and 2 are not realistic. Nobody is going to give us multiple 1st rounders or an elite player for a RB who is 30 and coming off from 15 games of not playing, even if said running back is one of the best ever to play the position.

I think a more realistic trade would be in the same ballpark as the Harvin trade, which was a 1st and a 7th, and a 3rd the following year.

purplehelmut
03-23-2015, 05:59 PM
I could be wrong but I doubt anyone is going to give a first rounder for a 30 year old RB who hasn't played in a year and has a rehabbed knee. Who also has PR issues. Put it this way- I'd love to ship his ass out for a first rounder and a couple later round picks. Dude has worn out his welcome with me.

NodakPaul
03-23-2015, 06:39 PM
I could be wrong but I doubt anyone is going to give a first rounder for a 30 year old RB who hasn't played in a year and has a rehabbed knee. Who also has PR issues. Put it this way- I'd love to ship his ass out for a first rounder and a couple later round picks. Dude has worn out his welcome with me.

Agreed. Although I think you can leave the rehabbed knee part off. Pretty sure he silenced any doubts about the knee.

MaxVike
03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
I think this is about guaranteed money… Sure, he's not happy with the COO, Kevin Warren, but, I was listening to Pat Kirwan on Sirius this afternoon. Apparently, all of the guaranteed money has been paid and the last three years of AP's contract are not guaranteed…he pointed out that it is his opinion this is about guaranteed money. I tend to agree, however, Peterson's mental capacity is seemingly debatable, and, it is possible he is grandstanding to get out because he feels Warren and the Vikings didn't have his back.

Either way, I'm in agreement with how this is being handled currently…show nothing, stay consistent, state that he is under contract and we expect to see him back on the field. Certainly, my patience is waning…in fact, I'm not sure as a fan how I would feel if he doesn't come clean with a mea culpa with us fans prior to donning Viking Purple again.

If I were the Wilfs, and this was my team…I would direct Spielman to play hardball. With a simple message: "Yo, Adrian, in the event you are allowed to by the League, you play here, or not at all. Any questions?"

Tad7
03-23-2015, 07:17 PM
I realize Adrian is being a complete a--hole but I can't allow him to "wear out his welcome" with me. Seeing him be really good for another team w/o the Vikings pulling off a 1st round pick minimally is a nightmare.

I still want the Vikings to stare him down. Put on the purple jersey and put $13 million dollars in the pocket of you and your family members OR retire.

I'll still be an AP fan if he just gets back in the field for my favorite team and works his ass off like he always has. That's all I really care about and I don't think it's too late to get back to that, even if by force.

Ted Dibiase
03-23-2015, 08:44 PM

Yup...where does he imagine his salary comes from? Sponsorships like Radisson might be important, no? For crying out loud, just apologize for going overboard on your kid and express some enthusiasm for the team that paid you to play one game last year and is still willing to pay more than anybody else...you know, the one with a competent young quarterback and a vastly improving defense...the one that signed you to an enormous contract to be the face of the franchise. That is the #1 scenario I'd like to see. But it isn't happening.

I know you guys know, but I don't see it mentioned enough...position+age+contract=vastly reduced trade value. If we get ONE first-rounder, Spielman has done well. Personally I'd take second without hesitation. If a team like the Raiders were to offer a fifth-rounder and we take it, I'd love it. F#*! him. Being free of his contract is worth quite a lot in itself. He is not bigger than the team.

tastywaves
03-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I think this is about guaranteed money… Sure, he's not happy with the COO, Kevin Warren, but, I was listening to Pat Kirwan on Sirius this afternoon. Apparently, all of the guaranteed money has been paid and the last three years of AP's contract are not guaranteed…he pointed out that it is his opinion this is about guaranteed money. I tend to agree, however, Peterson's mental capacity is seemingly debatable, and, it is possible he is grandstanding to get out because he feels Warren and the Vikings didn't have his back.

Either way, I'm in agreement with how this is being handled currently…show nothing, stay consistent, state that he is under contract and we expect to see him back on the field. Certainly, my patience is waning…in fact, I'm not sure as a fan how I would feel if he doesn't come clean with a mea culpa with us fans prior to donning Viking Purple again.

If I were the Wilfs, and this was my team…I would direct Spielman to play hardball. With a simple message: "Yo, Adrian, in the event you are allowed to by the League, you play here, or not at all. Any questions?"

The latest info from Dogra says as much. Saying it is not in the best interest of Adrian to cotinue in MN. Also saying he deserves to be the face of the franchise and paid guaranteed money like a QB.

Not in his best interest tells me other teams are maybe willing to give a contract with guaranteed money in the area they want. However, probably not willing to give up the trade value to make this worthwhile to the Vikings. By taking the line that he is not comfortable in MN and doesn't want to play there is just trying to force the issue for MN to try and let him go for lesser trade value. This approach is working with many fans because they have lost their patience with him. Hopefully the Vikings FO is strong enough to either get the value they think he's worth or make him honor his current contract.

Even if he holds out, it doesn't really hurt the Vikings that much, including cap space relief if he continues to hold out. It will hurt Adrian in the pocketbook and his playing clock just keeps ticking.

thorshammer
03-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Maybe we should look at Adrian's contract with his agent. If the agent gets paid a percentage of Adrian's contract the agent will be pushing for a contract with guaranteed money since that guarantees his percentage as well. Adrian could have been convinced it is in his best interest to get out and go for a new contract with a new team that includes guarantees because his agent knows that it's better for his (the agents) percentage of the pie. These agents can be as good as any political spin doctor you have ever seen. Agents have ruined careers due to their greed.

snowinapril
03-24-2015, 12:58 AM
There are a lot of good points in this thread.

Peterson has been selfish all along.
We aren't going to get a blockbuster trade in return.
He isn't very smart.
He didn't rise above it all when reinstated.
His agent is greedy and so is Peterson.
The agent is the puppet master.
They both seem ungrateful for being paid last year without performance.
They are lucky that we aren't asking for part of his guaranteed money to be paid back in the event that he doesn't honor his contract.

I suppose that if he continues to play the victim, maybe that makes people forget the original act that got this started. So if he would have played last year, he would have probably been approached to redo his contract but because he didn't do that while he was in "trouble" (right her in river city, with a capital T which rhymes with P which stands for Peterson ;-) ) we let him down. We couldn't talk to him and we couldn't approach the topic, plus he didn't even play for us. We got squat out of him last year and we are getting less than squat out of him now.

I agree with the person that said he owes us fans an apology for putting us through this. "I would like to apologize to all the fans that have stuck beside me and my family through this. I would like to dedicate my season to the fans and put forth the best possible effort to win the NFC North and take this team to the playoffs."

An athlete of his caliber doesn't always think of others first, that is what makes them a good athlete. He is never going to be a great person.

He doesn't really have a choice if we can't find a trade partner. His option is to prove he can still play at a high level and hope that people still want to pay him next season and will offer up a trade. Or he likes the team and wants to stick around.

Dogra is the one to blame here. Dogra, you were the one that took the contract to Peterson to sign. You advised him to sign it and now you don't like it. It was the contract that you helped negotiate. I would like to get this guy in a room (of Viking fans) and talk. I am sure they had a non-written agreement that they would renegotiate the contract. Vikings probably said let's wait until mid-season and then talk about it, "by god, we gave you a years worth of salary for doing nothing. That sounds like that was your guaranteed money. WTF do you want Dogra? You want us to throw in a couple of testicles since you seem to have lost yours?"

jargomcfargo
03-24-2015, 01:21 AM

The dust up between Dogra and Briezinski could very well be about the lack of any guaranteed money. That also could explain why Dogra would say it isn't in AP's best interest to play in Minnesota. That's a lot of speculation but we should know the outcome of this crap by the middle or end of April. Until then it is exciting to realize the Vikings have a chance to be pretty good this year, with or without, AP.

MaxVike
03-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Here's the "victim" at his 30th Birthday Party… http://deadspin.com/adrian-peterson-rode-a-camel-into-his-birthday-party-1693084017

Adrian Peterson Rode A Camel Into His Birthday Party
Samer Kalaf

Adrian Peterson celebrated his 30th birthday over the weekend with a big party in Texas. The celebration had elaborate costumes, an ice bar, a cake shaped like a palace, and a camel, which Peterson rode. The theme appeared to be "What A Very Dumb 30-Year-Old Thinks The Middle East Looks Like."

RK.
03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
I love the part where Dogra says he wants to be the face of the franchise at the same time saying he wants out of MN. What a tool. As to the party WTF is that about?

thejck
03-24-2015, 11:30 AM
i hope he doesnt show up we fine the crap out of him and he can sit in his house and earn nothing for the next 3 years. what a tool. who gave him the idea that he should be anything but grateful that the vikings paid him while he sat around and did nothing. I would organize a public burning of his jersey just to show him where he stands with the public.

tarkenton10
03-24-2015, 11:37 AM
i hope he doesnt show up we fine the crap out of him and he can sit in his house and earn nothing for the next 3 years. what a tool. who gave him the idea that he should be anything but grateful that the vikings paid him while he sat around and did nothing. I would organize a public burning of his jersey just to show him where he stands with the public.

That is just what he wants, wait until the season starts and then burn his jersey and boo the heck out of him.

tastywaves
03-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Here's the "victim" at his 30th Birthday Party… http://deadspin.com/adrian-peterson-rode-a-camel-into-his-birthday-party-1693084017

Adrian Peterson Rode A Camel Into His Birthday Party
Samer Kalaf

Adrian Peterson celebrated his 30th birthday over the weekend with a big party in Texas. The celebration had elaborate costumes, an ice bar, a cake shaped like a palace, and a camel, which Peterson rode. The theme appeared to be "What A Very Dumb 30-Year-Old Thinks The Middle East Looks Like."

Interesting color choices for the cake.

C Mac D
03-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Interesting color choices for the cake.

You noticed that too? It's the same color as his son's bruises.

drewlovs
03-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Have you seen some of the REGULAR dinners that are held in our White House, by the last 3 presidents? The grotesque way our wealthy spend their money is an embarrassment, except the excess is not nation specific. Rich fools act like rich fools no matter where they came from. This interests me not at all; normal people like you and me served that party, made the costumes and refreshments... so at least SOME good came from it. That's as far as I go.

In the end, I don't complain about people like AD getting the money he does, because the alternative is people like the Wilfs get it ALL, and they act like damn fools. No one is going to stop paying the inflated rates to see a game, so what's the point of whining about it?

tastywaves
03-25-2015, 06:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12555918/adrian-peterson-trade-not-minnesota-vikings-plans-mike-zimmer-says

PHOENIX -- Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer reiterated the organization's stance on the status of tailback Adrian Peterson, saying he expects Peterson to honor his contract and play for the team in 2015.

"I'm not going to speculate on what he wants or doesn't want," Zimmer said. "Adrian's under contract for three more years with us, and that's why you sign those contracts. That's why you get these big bonuses, you know?"

He later stated emphatically: "We have no plans to trade Adrian."

The Zim Zam saying he doesn't care what Adrian wants, he has a contract, man up and get your ass back in the game.

Ricky on the other hand I'm sure is still open for the right trade. If Jerry was still completely in charge in Dallas, this would be done already.

midgensa
03-26-2015, 08:31 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12555918/adrian-peterson-trade-not-minnesota-vikings-plans-mike-zimmer-says

The Zim Zam saying he doesn't care what Adrian wants, he has a contract, man up and get your ass back in the game.

Ricky on the other hand I'm sure is still open for the right trade. If Jerry was still completely in charge in Dallas, this would be done already.

Maybe or maybe not. I think that Jerry believes a lot in Romo and Bryant (as he should). That is why he didnt throw money at DeMarco. It appears that everyone realizes there is not a ton of value in Adrian, especially if a restructure for more money is in demand.

tastywaves
03-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Maybe or maybe not. I think that Jerry believes a lot in Romo and Bryant (as he should). That is why he didnt throw money at DeMarco. It appears that everyone realizes there is not a ton of value in Adrian, especially if a restructure for more money is in demand.

Jerry has never been accused of having a sound football mind. What he does do well is make money and marketing his franchise.

Local guys give Stephen Jones credit for the personnel decisions made over the last few years. Many of them going against Jerry's preference. OL picks, letting Marco go and now focusing on defense. McFadden looks to have Jerry written all over it, bt pretty small investment to get one of his hogs on the team.

Jerry has always been enamored by "athletes" and star power. AD would definitely sell tickets in Dallas and would allow Jerry's marketing machine to continue to draw in crowds without necessarily competing for a SB.

purplehelmut
03-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Our FO better not screw this one up. AD gets traded if and only if there is a first round pick in the next draft. Plus a couple other later round picks. Other than that they force him to strap it on and go play or sit out with no checks. End of story.

tarkenton10
03-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Our FO better not screw this one up. AD gets traded if and only if there is a first round pick in the next draft. Plus a couple other later round picks. Other than that they force him to strap it on and go play or sit out with no checks. End of story.

Amen Brotha!! I say they make him sit and rot at this point, screw him!!

Ted Dibiase
03-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I doubt he'll just not play, but I wouldn't mind it. Does anyone know exactly how that figures into the salary cap? Would it even help us? This year, next year? The outcome (time missed and salary not paid) wouldn't be known till the end of the season right? I want that $13 mil to actually help the team.

What I'm really worried about is that he could decide to play but still be a headache and distraction...IMO he already is. I know they're professionals but they are still very young men. Teddy is only 22. I would like to see a resolution one way or another so they can focus on what their team is. That's in a perfect world though...I do believe the FO is getting it right at this point, given what we (think we) know.

I've said it before but will say it again: a second rounder is good enough IMO. I would be stunned if they get a first rounder...unless he restructures...which seems possible if he wants out that bad. Seems to obvious to say, but there is value in freeing up that cap space instead of paying a 30-year old RB $12.75 million. I realize who he is and what he's done but that doesn't mean he's going to do it again. He has to be head an shoulders above all other RB's to make 12.75 worth it. I'm not betting on that. Some people think the year off will energize him but I think it's just as likely that, along with getting older, it causes him to lose a half a step.

On top of all of this, for reasons that go beyond money and football, I simply do not want him on the Vikings anymore. He's an entitled egomaniac. On top of that, he's an idiot. Plenty of those around in the NFL but as the top paid and supposed face of the franchise...no thank you. That said, I understand they may have to keep him to avoid setting a dangerous precedent if they don't get an acceptable offer. Which sucks.

RK.
03-26-2015, 04:50 PM
What I'm really worried about is that he could decide to play but still be a headache and distraction...IMO he already is. I know they're professionals but they are still very young men. Teddy is only 22.
I don't see AP pushing Norv Turner around, or Zim for that matter. If he is on the field I have no doubt they will have him focused.

C Mac D
03-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Adrian Peterson will not play another down for the Vikings. You guys really need to accept that.

VikingMike
03-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Adrian Peterson will not play another down for the Vikings. You guys really need to accept that.

Yes, he's done here...or there, since I don't live in MN. Now it's up to Spielman to get as much as he can for him.

I'm hoping for a draft day trade.

MaxVike
03-26-2015, 08:19 PM

That's an easy comment to make. It would be more interesting if you made a prediction, outlined a scenario or two.

I've already posted my POV, which is… If I'm Wilf, I'm delivering a very simple message to AP: "young man, we paid you a shitload of money to play one game last year. I understand and respect how you feel. That said, you are under contract, which, we HONORED last year. We will not release you, we will not trade you." Spielman and Zim are holding the line, which, leads me to believe the Wilfs delivered the aforementioned message in their meeting with AP.

What say you?

thorshammer
03-26-2015, 08:56 PM
I think Adrian will be in purple this year. He will realize that his agents power play to get guaranteed money for them failed. Once football starts it will be game on as usual. He will play his heart out just like he always does. He will still make a great deal of money this year. He should consider firing his agent.

RK.
03-27-2015, 12:05 AM
A trade has to be perceived as a win win situation. The Cardinals don't have enough to offer us for us to have a win. A second round pick for them is a win but there is nothing in that for us. We will not be trading him for that. Why would we make another NFC team a possible super bowl contender and keep ourselves from becoming one? If we do trade him I think it will be to an AFC team. And I do not think it will be this year.

C Mac D
03-27-2015, 09:10 AM
That's an easy comment to make. It would be more interesting if you made a prediction, outlined a scenario or two.

I've already posted my POV, which is… If I'm Wilf, I'm delivering a very simple message to AP: "young man, we paid you a shitload of money to play one game last year. I understand and respect how you feel. That said, you are under contract, which, we HONORED last year. We will not release you, we will not trade you." Spielman and Zim are holding the line, which, leads me to believe the Wilfs delivered the aforementioned message in their meeting with AP.

What say you?

Why do you need a scenario? It's fairly obvious that they're gearing up for a trade.

Zimmer doesn't want some spoiled brat who's never been told "No" on his team. The front office is saying all the right things now, but I imagine you'll see a blockbuster trade the day of the draft.

snowinapril
03-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Why do you need a scenario? It's fairly obvious that they're gearing up for a trade.

Zimmer doesn't want some spoiled brat who's never been told "No" on his team. The front office is saying all the right things now, but I imagine you'll see a blockbuster trade the day of the draft.

If he comes to work, he is not spoiled. If he was really disgruntled, he wouldn't be silent. He just hasn't spoken the way his agent has. He hasn't appeared happy, but he also isn't the vocal part of his camp. He accepted the meetings with the Vikings.

As far as a trade, I think the Cowboys could afford to give up a 1st. They have plugged every hole on their team in FA. They could afford to skip the first round, maybe......

If we are trading him, we are getting a first round pick. We should also take Gurley in the first. JMHO

snowinapril
03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
I just watched the NFL AM segment this morning. They started it with Burleson and Heath Evans talking about the 3 teams he could go to. They set the plate for debate to entice the fans of 3 teams to perk up their ears. Then it went to the NFL AM guys and they were very logical about it. They rationalize the situation and said he will be a Viking.

In the beginning they stated that it would be a given Peterson could get 2000 yards in Dallas. That is why AP wants to go there.

JMHO - But, IF, IF Teddy shows up this season with a little more experience under his belt, he could help AP get close this year also. Hmmm. It would be horrible to have to possibly play AP in the playoffs with an NFC team. The front office and the coaches don't want that. I would tell the agent, get your guy to show up for camp and we will talk restructure after we get all the pieces necessary to make a better team. All speculation.....

MaxVike
03-28-2015, 09:22 AM

I don't need a scenario… my point is that your original comment is more interesting if is is accompanied with some context. So, now that you've provided some, I don't think it's obvious at all.

You could be right of course. My point is simply that if I was the Owner, and I had invested a shipload of empty money due to the suspension, he'd play for me, or, nowhere.

drewlovs
03-28-2015, 02:07 PM
I think both sides have two acceptable outcomes here, and both are playing their trump cards to maximize their desired outcome.

TRADE: (AD's desired outcome) - The Vikings WILL trade AD, but only for multiple draft picks... there are some "experts" who believe the Cowboys might just offer it, if Jones truly believes they are one AD type player away from the Super Bowl. It is hard to argue with how bad-ass the Cowboys will be if AD was running behind that line with Dez and Romo backing him up; 9 men in the box would be a dream scenario for the Dez-Romo connection. I do NOT think one 1st round draft pick will satisfy the Vikings, but that is MY opinion; I think we can expect at least 2 quality years from AD, and the average lifespan for a RB is between 3.3 and 6 years, I believe. So would the Vikings think a fresh Gurley is worth a 30 year old AD? I personally don't think so.

RETAIN: (The Viking's desired outcome) - I think AD is pissed off at a small number of suits in the Viking's front office that talked a lot of shit behind the moniker "anonymous". That, and the fact that nothing beyond this year is guaranteed means he expects the Vikings to want him to renegotiate his contract after the year is over (aka less money). So, if the Vikings do some "behind the scenes" house cleaning and give the guaranteed money for 2016 AD is looking for, everyone will be happy enough to live with the terms.

If another team is willing to offer multiple picks, AD is probably gone. But I think only Jerry Jones is crazy enough to do it, and he has been pretty rational in the last 2 years... So, in my opinion, AD will be in purple for the coming season, with guaranteed money for this and NEXT year.

Please note I think either scenario is likely, depending on Jerry Jones; if he wants AD, he is not above doing a Walker style trade, but in reverse. This current team is his best shot for getting a trophy without Jimmy Johnson's coattails.

Ted Dibiase
03-28-2015, 10:26 PM
I wonder just how willing he is to restructure. I'm not sure how that dialogue works with a player under contract but if he wants out that bad, you would think they would be able to work something out that would convince a team to part with what the Vikings want in return. And if this whole thing is really just lobbying for more guaranteed money I guess I could see him playing. I don't think that's what it is though, and don't think he'll be a Viking in the fall.

drewlovs
03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
I re-read this thread (because boredom knows no bounds), and came to a conclusion that I haven't mentioned before:

Everyone who believes that a 2nd round pick for AD has not paid attention in the last 2 years. The last true "1st tier" RB to be traded for picks was Trent Richardson (he wasn't worth it, but at the time, no one knew that). The Browns got a 1st round pick for him, with at least 2 other teams saying they would have offered MORE. Comparing AD to what people thought Trent was at the time, AD would still garner more in trade. That is a real world, money on the table fact, not speculation by dumbasses like Phil Mackey (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/3/15/8219867/vikings-free-agency-report-vikings-cardinals-working-on-peterson-trade).

drewlovs
03-30-2015, 02:53 PM
I wonder just how willing he is to restructure. I'm not sure how that dialogue works with a player under contract but if he wants out that bad, you would think they would be able to work something out that would convince a team to part with what the Vikings want in return. And if this whole thing is really just lobbying for more guaranteed money I guess I could see him playing. I don't think that's what it is though, and don't think he'll be a Viking in the fall.

I am surprised that you believe AD would tank the season if forced to stay with the vikings... you DO realized that doing that would absolutely destroy his value going forward, right? He would still be signed, don't get me wrong... but NOT for 10+million/year he is looking for. His age coupled with the bad attitude would be levers the new team could and WOULD use to insure they don't over pay.

I know you didn't come out and SAY he would tank, but it is strongly implied he would not try very hard. I just don't see AD doing to the other Viking's players what Percy Harvin did to us AND the Seahawks; he has not been that sort of person up until this point. What evidence is there that he WOULD?

I truly think this is a "could versus would" situation. In my previous job, I could have stolen thousands of dollars without being caught; but I would NEVER do any such thing. It is not who I am.

Ted Dibiase
03-30-2015, 08:41 PM
What was the point of pulling that quote drew? You DO realize it doesn't even approach the topic of how I think Peterson will play if he's a Viking in the fall, right? For the record, I do not think he would tank. I think he cares about his numbers too much for that. The way things sit right now, I still don't want him on the team, for reasons I'm sure you've seen on this thread. I'll gladly debate anything that I actually said.

The Richardson trade is irrelevant. He was on his rookie deal and Peterson isn't. Peterson's contract brings his trade value way down. THAT is a real world fact. It's not as simple as who is better. And Mackey didn't speculate anything in the link you posted...he quoted John Clayton's opinion of Peterson's value. Maybe Clayton's a dumbass too I guess.

snowinapril
04-03-2015, 12:52 PM
For what it is worth......

Did anyone notice the amount of cap room that was uncovered in the restructuring deal that Romo did?

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/dallas-cowboys-restructure-tony-romo-s-contract-040115

Essentially, the restructure will convert all but $1 million of Romo's $17 million salary for 2015 to a signing bonus and reduce his cap hit by about $12.8 million.

In exchange for the short-term relief, Romo's cap hit will increase by about $3.2 million over the next four years. His 2016 cap hit was slated to be $17.6 million, but will now bump up to $20.8 million. He will count toward the cap for $24.7 million in 2017, $25.2 million in 2018 and $23.7 million in 2019.

That is conveniently close to AP's salary. How coincidental!

Get ready for a draft day trade.

RK.
04-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Dallas draft picks this year. . #27, #60, #127, #163, #236, #243 I don't think they have enough high round picks this year to trade for AP. There would have to be players involved as well. I don't see it happening.

rockymtdan
04-03-2015, 05:48 PM

Did anyone notice the amount of cap room that was uncovered in the restructuring deal that Romo did?

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/dallas-cowboys-restructure-tony-romo-s-contract-040115

.....and with #27,#60 and#127 a boat load of salary room old Ricky could really start something special.

PAViking
04-03-2015, 06:26 PM
What if Dallas gave up Lee and some picks? I now Lee has injury concerns, but when he is healthy he is pretty good. Just a thought.

tastywaves
04-03-2015, 10:48 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4741524/the-math-isnt-so-easy-for-cowboys-adrian-peterson

Add it all up and the Cowboys might need to do more than restructure Romo's contract to make it all fit. And that makes adding Peterson difficult to do but not impossible, but it could require the running back to take less from the Cowboys in order for it to work. Sometimes the math just doesn't work out, especially when it comes to the NFL's salary cap.

Caine
04-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Couple thoughts here:

I don't really believe that anyone will offer what we - the fans - believe AP is worth. I think that no matter what is on the table, we're going to feel ripped off if we trade him away.

That said, I think AP has started paving the road to his departure. He's going to make it very difficult for Minnesota to keep him..and that's too bad because up until NOW, his career has been one of a model team player. Not sure who got in his ear, but he's listening to the wrong people now.

Caine

vikinggreg
04-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Couple thoughts here:

I don't really believe that anyone will offer what we - the fans - believe AP is worth. I think that no matter what is on the table, we're going to feel ripped off if we trade him away.

That said, I think AP has started paving the road to his departure. He's going to make it very difficult for Minnesota to keep him..and that's too bad because up until NOW, his career has been one of a model team player. Not sure who got in his ear, but he's listening to the wrong people now.

Caine

I would think the owners of most teams would prefer the players not zip around town at speeds around 100 mph, have a run in with police after midnight in a nightclub, father children with several different women and smoke some weed before a court date.

While up until lately Peterson hasn't been anywhere near a cancer or league bad boy he hasn't been a saint and while he might have his father, his wife, agent and union in his ear he isn't a puppet and operate his own mouth (remember NFL is modern day slavery) and I wouldn't doubt his own ego factors into his decisions.

mountainviking
04-06-2015, 11:33 AM
.....and with #27,#60 and#127 a boat load of salary room old Ricky could really start something special.

I think and hope, we're looking at a first this year and next year's 2nd...or maybe vice versa. And, hopefully, a couple of decent players and/or mid to late round picks too. And I could see Jones doing it too...getting desperate late in Romo's career to recreate his 'triplets' and earn the championship under his watch before his old age forces him out of office.

Seems like AD's pretty determined to go elsewhere, and may be willing to take a significant pay cut to play for his team of choice, the cowturds. Personally, I'd rather trade him to JAX or OAK who both have RB need and the cap space to handle his contract, and much earlier picks to boot! And, happen to be in the AFC! I can only imagine how much that would piss him off...here he's thinking he gets his dream scenario only to end up in the Black Hole!? ;)

Another option I read somewhere is that we could convert some of his salary this year in to signing bonus and thus pay him some cash before trading him away in order to increase the value of draft picks we can get for him and the number of teams willing to bid for his services. But, if I was the Wilfs and I just paid that AHole not to play for a year, that might be too bitter a pill to swallow.

As for his replacement, there is a ton of potential at RB in this draft and the timing seems right for us to continue rebuilding that position around the 1-2 combo we have now in Asiata and McKinnon. Hell, I even wouldn't mind transitioning toward more passing and drafting a top WR prospect to boost the top end talent in that purple pool either! We could still add a pretty good RB option in the middle rounds as well. Specially, with a bunch of extra picks in hand!

BAAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

vikesrgreat2
04-06-2015, 11:56 AM
I think and hope, we're looking at a first this year and next year's 2nd...or maybe vice versa. And, hopefully, a couple of decent players and/or mid to late round picks too. And I could see Jones doing it too...getting desperate late in Romo's career to recreate his 'triplets' and earn the championship under his watch before his old age forces him out of office.

Seems like AD's pretty determined to go elsewhere, and may be willing to take a significant pay cut to play for his team of choice, the cowturds. Personally, I'd rather trade him to JAX or OAK who both have RB need and the cap space to handle his contract, and much earlier picks to boot! And, happen to be in the AFC! I can only imagine how much that would piss him off...here he's thinking he gets his dream scenario only to end up in the Black Hole!? ;)

Another option I read somewhere is that we could convert some of his salary this year in to signing bonus and thus pay him some cash before trading him away in order to increase the value of draft picks we can get for him and the number of teams willing to bid for his services. But, if I was the Wilfs and I just paid that AHole not to play for a year, that might be too bitter a pill to swallow.

As for his replacement, there is a ton of potential at RB in this draft and the timing seems right for us to continue rebuilding that position around the 1-2 combo we have now in Asiata and McKinnon. Hell, I even wouldn't mind transitioning toward more passing and drafting a top WR prospect to boost the top end talent in that purple pool either! We could still add a pretty good RB option in the middle rounds as well. Specially, with a bunch of extra picks in hand!

BAAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

MountainViking,

Good commentary! My nephew and I are both fully prepared to have the Vikings start the 2015 season without AD. McKinnon and Asiata are, in my opinion, just fine as our RB's. Didn't McKinnon average 4.8 yards a carry in 2014? I'm not sure it's value added to add a RB, unless you strongly believe that RB will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to who we already have. With Gurley's injury history, and Gordon's tendency to fumble the football, I would stay the course at RB (unless we want to draft one on Day 3 of the draft).

I think that, if AD is traded, he should be traded to an AFC team, not the Cowboys. How about the Houston Texans as a trade partner? AD would be pretty close to home, and the Texans (as I recall) probably need an upgrade at RB since Arian Foster left the team. With Watt and Clowney on defense, AD added to the Texans offense could make that team a serious playoff contender. Trade AD to the Texans for their first-round pick (and a conditional 2016 third-round pick), and use that pick toward improving the team at DB and OL.

Thoughts?

snowinapril
04-07-2015, 09:12 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4741524/the-math-isnt-so-easy-for-cowboys-adrian-peterson

Even if it is more difficult, it seems like a definite message getting so close to the number on paper, symbolic to what they would like to do and would do.

NodakPaul
04-07-2015, 02:08 PM
If AD gets traded (and that is a big IF at this point), I don't see anything happening until draft day.

Bottom line, he is still a game changer, and the Vikings don't have anyone at RB who could replace him, so I don't think the FO wants to trade him. It would take a marquee player being available and a pick that can allow the Vikings to select him. Given the draft spot for teams like Dallas or Arizona, I don't think that it is going to happen.

I am ready to see AD in the backfield behind Teddy. I think it will be a good combination. But make no mistake. This is no longer AD's team. It is all Teddy now.

C Mac D
04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
You're lying to yourself, Nodak. It's not a "big if"... it's a "highly probably if" at this point. Peterson has played his last down as a Viking.

tarkenton10
04-07-2015, 03:33 PM
You're lying to yourself, Nodak. It's not a "big if"... it's a "highly probably if" at this point. Peterson has played his last down as a Viking.

I didn't think so but it is looking more and more like he is gone. I really hope not to Dallas, that is just a stupid move, the line they have will make him unstoppable. Good move, put him in the best spot he could hope for. And make it more difficult to get to the super bowl.

VikingMike
04-07-2015, 07:56 PM
I didn't think so but it is looking more and more like he is gone. I really hope not to Dallas, that is just a stupid move, the line they have will make him unstoppable. Good move, put him in the best spot he could hope for. And make it more difficult to get to the super bowl.

I just want the best deal we can get for him. Really don't want him to go to Dallas, nor do I think the Cowgirls can offer us as much as other teams can. Put a fork in Peterson.

idahovikefan7
04-07-2015, 08:04 PM
I think it's just a matter of "when" at this point. I have no doubt AD will be playing for the Cowgirls next year. As painful as it will be to see, it's time to move on from him. Even if they did decide to give him no other choice but to stay, he will be unhappy.

I've lost respect for him as a person, and as a player after all this BS. "Mr. Golden boy" isn't so golden after all. This was all brought to him by no one other than himself. Now he's trying to make it seem like the Vikings organization are the bad guys.

MaxVike
04-07-2015, 08:32 PM
I think it's just a matter of "when" at this point. I have no doubt AD will be playing for the Cowgirls next year. As painful as it will be to see, it's time to move on from him. Even if they did decide to give him no other choice but to stay, he will be unhappy.

I've lost respect for him as a person, and as a player after all this BS. "Mr. Golden boy" isn't so golden after all. This was all brought to him by no one other than himself. Now he's trying to make it seem like the Vikings organization are the bad guys.

Cool Sig IdyhoVike!

So, apparently, AP is set to battle both the NFL and the Vikings…WTF? Who would have thought he would be such a serious pain in the ass? #losingpatience

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/source-peterson-takes-issue-with-nfl-mandated-counseling-program/ar-AAayWCg?OCID=twmsnspt

RK.
04-07-2015, 08:37 PM
I am going to simply believe in what the coach and FO says which is he will be playing for us and they are not interested in trading him. I don't really care if he is happy or not as long as he shows up for work. There are lots of players that are not happy with the teams they are on and would love to be traded to a better team. Ask any Raider lol. But they still show up and give their best because if they don't they will never be picked up by someone else.

MaxVike
04-07-2015, 08:55 PM
I am going to simply believe in what the coach and FO says which is he will be playing for us and they are not interested in trading him. I don't really care if he is happy or not as long as he shows up for work. There are lots of players that are not happy with the teams they are on and would love to be traded to a better team. Ask any Raider lol. But they still show up and give their best because if they don't they will never be picked up by someone else.

:think: we think alike my friend…:clap:

Ted Dibiase
04-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Sure I'd rather see him go to Oakland or something, but if we get a better package from Dallas I'm all for it. We're building for the future. Besides, the idea of him going to Dallas doesn't scare me. How much better could they be than they were with Murray last year? Murray rushed for 1,845 yards, and caught 57 balls for 416...for a total of 2,261. Peterson's magical season saw 2,314 all purpose yards. I'm not saying that Murray could do it again... but we saw what the team did with that level of production and I don't see how you can just expect that Peterson will match that. Could happen, but I'll give you good odds if you want to bet on it.

jessejames09
04-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Is anyone else picturing Spielman in Al Davis style glasses, gold chain and rings at this point? I love it.

idahovikefan7
04-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Cool Sig IdyhoVike!

So, apparently, AP is set to battle both the NFL and the Vikings…WTF? Who would have thought he would be such a serious pain in the ass? #losingpatience

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/source-peterson-takes-issue-with-nfl-mandated-counseling-program/ar-AAayWCg?OCID=twmsnspt

Thanks man!

I hear ya though. I never would have seen any of this coming a couple years ago. I totally believed he was a stand up guy and the perfect example of a class act NFL athlete. With everything that has started piling in I truly believe he's hurting his legacy and will some day regret his actions. He needs to stop and think for just a second and remember what TEAM it was that took the chance on him. What TEAM it was that made him the highest paid RB in the nfl. What fan base was just about to forgive him of his actions and welcome him back with open arms. And like Zimmer stated; what TEAM it is everyone will remember him by 20 years from now.

purplehelmut
04-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Trading Peterson to either Dallas or Arizona would be one of the dumbest things the Vikings could do. These are teams in the NFC that we could very well see in the playoffs. Secondly, neither team is going to offer value for Peterson. To the Vikings, talent-wise, he is worth a first round pick. The 'Boys and the Birds aren't going to offer that. Those teams have some space but have yet to sign their draft picks. I also don't think Peterson will accept the pay cut he would have to take to play for either of those teams. Looks to me, unless something changes dramatically, unhappy or not, Peterson will be playing for the Vikings in 2015. That assumes the FO has the balls to stick to its guns, which is questionable at this point.

C Mac D
04-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Trading Peterson to either Dallas or Arizona would be one of the dumbest things the Vikings could do. These are teams in the NFC that we could very well see in the playoffs. Secondly, neither team is going to offer value for Peterson. To the Vikings, talent-wise, he is worth a first round pick. The 'Boys and the Birds aren't going to offer that. Those teams have some space but have yet to sign their draft picks. I also don't think Peterson will accept the pay cut he would have to take to play for either of those teams. Looks to me, unless something changes dramatically, unhappy or not, Peterson will be playing for the Vikings in 2015. That assumes the FO has the balls to stick to its guns, which is questionable at this point.

Peter King through out the Jaguars as his dark horse candidate to get Peterson, but Peter King is an idiot... so there's that.

Honestly, I think he ends up going to Dallas because Jerry Jones gives us a boatload for him on draft day. Whether or not it's a smart decision is irrelevant because we also have an idiot for a GM.

purplehelmut
04-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I just don't see Jones doing a reverse Walker trade. I don't see even a first rounder being offered. Jones got religion and finally listened to his football guys and the team was built using good draft picks, not high dollar free-agents or trades. I can't say Peterson to Dallas is outside the realm of possibility (then again, monkeys might fly...well, you know) but it really doesn't make sense for either Minnesota or Dallas. Besides, there are several good, young, cheap running backs available in this draft. And there is the money issue..... Question for CMac, why do you say King is an idiot? Can't say I agree with everything he writes, but his MMQ is pretty good reading most times.

tarkenton10
04-08-2015, 02:54 PM
I just don't see Jones doing a reverse Walker trade. I don't see even a first rounder being offered. Jones got religion and finally listened to his football guys and the team was built using good draft picks, not high dollar free-agents or trades. I can't say Peterson to Dallas is outside the realm of possibility (then again, monkeys might fly...well, you know) but it really doesn't make sense for either Minnesota or Dallas. Besides, there are several good, young, cheap running backs available in this draft. And there is the money issue..... Question for CMac, why do you say King is an idiot? Can't say I agree with everything he writes, but his MMQ is pretty good reading most times.

If King's opinions align in any way with Ricky's opinions then he is an idiot!! That is how it works with CmacD.

C Mac D
04-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Well, for starters, Peter King said he would resign from the HOF committee if Darren Sharper doesn't get in. He said that post-rape allegations. That's just one example, but it says a lot about him.

midgensa
04-09-2015, 09:28 AM

I don't think that anyone sees a reverse Walker trade, nor has anyone said that they thought that would happen.

Do I see the Cowboys possibly caving and offering up their first rounder ... strong possibility. I think that AD would be a huge addition to them. As good as they were with DeMarco, imagine how good they would be with someone comfortably better? Is it a lock? Definitely not. A possibility? Certainly. And one that would make sense for both sides.

Of course ... if I am the Vikes, I don't agree to a deal until the pick is on the board and I know that who I want is there.

tarkenton10
04-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Well, for starters, Peter King said he would resign from the HOF committee if Darren Sharper doesn't get in. He said that post-rape allegations. That's just one example, but it says a lot about him.

I agree with you on that point but everyone gets a mulligan. So what else do you have?

MaxVike
04-09-2015, 10:38 AM

Here is a link with perhaps some more context. I'm not sure I subscribe to his logic, but, I'm sure that I don't think this particular opinion should indict Peter King as an idiot, nor, do I think it says a lot about him.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/10/darren-sharper-pro-football-hall-fame-nfl/

C Mac D
04-09-2015, 02:16 PM
I agree with you on that point but everyone gets a mulligan. So what else do you have?

Oh, there's a ton. He wrote an article awhile back talking about how many Super Bowl champions go undefeated in the playoffs... no shit. They all went undefeated in the playoffs.

He's an idiot. You can disagree with me all you want, but I'd rather see a reason as to why he's NOT an idiot.

C Mac D
04-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Here is a link with perhaps some more context. I'm not sure I subscribe to his logic, but, I'm sure that I don't think this particular opinion should indict Peter King as an idiot, nor, do I think it says a lot about him.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/10/darren-sharper-pro-football-hall-fame-nfl/

To each their own. Personally, I think King's idea that we should celebrate a serial rapist does say a lot about him and his lack of awareness/intelligence.

tarkenton10
04-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Oh, there's a ton. He wrote an article awhile back talking about how many Super Bowl champions go undefeated in the playoffs... no shit. They all went undefeated in the playoffs.

He's an idiot. You can disagree with me all you want, but I'd rather see a reason as to why he's NOT an idiot.

Now that made me laugh, I loved that one!!!:rofl: That is stupid!!!:gigity2small:

tarkenton10
04-09-2015, 03:04 PM
To each their own. Personally, I think King's idea that we should celebrate a serial rapist does say a lot about him and his lack of awareness/intelligence.

+1

vikinggreg
04-09-2015, 09:03 PM
So he said he would resign the day he precluded someone over allegations......not quite the same as resigning if Sharper doesn't get in, which I find a tad fairer than Paul Zimmerman's Ken Stabler isn't getting in the HoF while I'm alive stance

C Mac D
04-10-2015, 09:06 AM
So he said he would resign the day he precluded someone over allegations......not quite the same as resigning if Sharper doesn't get in, which I find a tad fairer than Paul Zimmerman's Ken Stabler isn't getting in the HoF while I'm alive stance

He's gone on to defend his stance on several shows, he has clearly stated that he would step down if Sharper doesn't get in. There's really no arguing that.

vikinggreg
04-10-2015, 10:38 AM
He's gone on to defend his stance on several shows, he has clearly stated that he would step down if Sharper doesn't get in. There's really no arguing that.

If I said, “I will not consider Sharper for induction because he has been accused of multiple rapes,” I would resign from the committee.

We would be shirking our duties if we did not consider him. What has happened since should not be factored in.

http://deadspin.com/peter-king-defends-hall-of-fame-s-right-to-honor-allege-1683701729

There are a list of his quotes here and none say if Sharper doesn't get in I quit, I haven't even seen where he has said much more than consideration for the HoF, no talk that he is a lock or a first ballet inductee

MaxVike
04-10-2015, 03:17 PM
http://deadspin.com/peter-king-defends-hall-of-fame-s-right-to-honor-allege-1683701729

There are a list of his quotes here and none say if Sharper doesn't get in I quit, I haven't even seen where he has said much more than consideration for the HoF, no talk that he is a lock or a first ballet inductee

King, albeit awkwardly, is basically stating that he is abiding by the main Bylaw of the criteria for enshrinement. I don't agree, nor does the Commish (duh). Here's an article from 5 years ago, that has nothing to do with Sharper or King. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/20/commissioner-believes-off-field-conduct-should-be-considered-in-hall-of-fame-voting/

What King's stance says to me, both surprising and disappointing, is that he's a conformist. Which, if you've read MMQB (I have) over the years, is seemingly out of character.

Here is an article which articulates More how I feel about King's cause... http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/03/peter-king-would-resign-from-hof-committee-before-precluding-darren-sharper/

C Mac D
04-10-2015, 03:18 PM

You're just arguing semantics at this point.

tarkenton10
04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
King, albeit awkwardly, is basically stating that he is abiding by the main Bylaw of the criteria for enshrinement. I don't agree, nor does the Commish (duh). Here's an article from 5 years ago, that has nothing to do with Sharper or King. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/20/commissioner-believes-off-field-conduct-should-be-considered-in-hall-of-fame-voting/

What King's stance says to me, both surprising and disappointing, is that he's a conformist. Which, if you've read MMQB (I have) over the years, is seemingly out of character.

Here is an article which articulates More how I feel about King's cause... http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/03/peter-king-would-resign-from-hof-committee-before-precluding-darren-sharper/

I personally don't feel his play warrants the HOF whether he is a rapist or not, JMO!!

C Mac D
04-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I personally don't feel his play warrants the HOF whether he is a rapist or not, JMO!!

I dunno... his numbers are pretty damn good.

Personally, I feel if you commit a heinous crime of this nature, you lose your right to the HOF, whether you're already inducted or not. That doesn't seem that outlandish to me. You murder someone or plead guilty to being a serial rapist... sorry, you're no longer eligible to the HOF.

If Peter King had half a brain, he'd have the same stance.

Hiding behind "Bylaws" is a joke. Not only is King an idiot, he's spineless too.

C Mac D
04-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Wait... wasn't this thread about Peterson at one point?

RK.
04-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Good point.

tarkenton10
04-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Wait... wasn't this thread about Peterson at one point?

Patrick Peterson doesn't play for us, please stay on task!! We are bashing Peter King!!

tastywaves
04-13-2015, 04:31 PM
How about a compromise? Bashing Peter King's take on Adrian.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/08/adrian-peterson-reinstatement-cowboys-cardinals-vikings-nfl/

It’ll be interesting to see if any team succumbs to the lure of Peterson. Arizona and Dallas are still the leaders in the clubhouse, but I’ve talked to both teams in recent weeks, and I don’t think either will be held hostage for Peterson. If he’s going to get traded, I don’t see it happening under these circumstances. I see Dallas or Arizona—or my upset special, Jacksonville, still awash in cap money—making this deal only if Peterson can make the financials easier on them, and if the Vikings are willing to take a lesser pick for him. For now, I don’t think the Vikings are willing to do that. And so it’s a stalemate.

drewlovs
04-13-2015, 05:24 PM
You're just arguing semantics at this point.

Actually, I disagree. Quitting if he himself didn't at least consider Sharper for the HoF is no where near the same as quitting if Sharper didn't get in.

One is making sure he kept things equal in his own (deluded) mind, while the other is an outright temper tantrum if all the other HoF voters don't agree with him.

One is a reflection of a personal belief, the other is forcing others to vote the way he wants them to...

I agree that King is an idiot on this topic, however.

Tad7
04-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Still feeling confident Peterson is a Viking throughout 2015

JPPT1974
04-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Peterson doesn't want to stay in MN. It will take a lot for the team to buy out the remainder of his contract. A very expensive one.

tarkenton10
04-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Peterson doesn't want to stay in MN. It will take a lot for the team to buy out the remainder of his contract. A very expensive one.

They don't have to buy out his contract, he either plays for us and we pay him or he throws a temper tantrum and holds out and we don't pay him.

midgensa
04-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Yeah ... as Tark said ... you are way off here. There is no buying him out of his contract. We just cut him, trade him, or play him. If he holds out ... he doesn't get a dime.

I mean, if he wants to renegotiate so that his contract includes no up front money, then maybe we can cut him. But I am pretty sure that is against collective bargaining. If we cut him, we are still on the hook for $12+ million in guaranteed money. Past that, nothing is promised and he cannot collect.

All of his posturing is an attempt to get more guaranteed money from either us or a trade partner. That is all he and his agent are trying to do. Trying to get near $18 mill or so in guaranteed money so that he has more when his career is over in the next few years.

tastywaves
04-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Yeah ... as Tark said ... you are way off here. There is no buying him out of his contract. We just cut him, trade him, or play him. If he holds out ... he doesn't get a dime.

I mean, if he wants to renegotiate so that his contract includes no up front money, then maybe we can cut him. But I am pretty sure that is against collective bargaining. If we cut him, we are still on the hook for $12+ million in guaranteed money. Past that, nothing is promised and he cannot collect.

All of his posturing is an attempt to get more guaranteed money from either us or a trade partner. That is all he and his agent are trying to do. Trying to get near $18 mill or so in guaranteed money so that he has more when his career is over in the next few years.

I agree that this is about guaranteed money, and he'll probably take it from any club.

For MN, they only have $2.4M in dead money left on his contract. He is a $15.4M cap hit for them this season if they don't restructure. His salary this year is $12.75M with a $250K signing bonus.

I find it very hard to believe that Adrian would put $15M at risk to gain $18M in guaranteed money. He wants to protect from a major injury which I understand, but not so sure MN isn't his best source for feeding his bank account. That is, if MN is still interested in keeping him. That is a big sum of money for someone making a lot of waves. Problem is, that other teams are probably not willing to pick up his contract. If it's $18M in guaranteed money on a 3yr contract paying him $12M/yr plus a high draft pick, takes a pretty desperate team. Jacksonville is the only one that makes sense to me, as it will help bring fans to the stadium.

vikesrgreat2
04-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I agree that this is about guaranteed money, and he'll probably take it from any club.

For MN, they only have $2.4M in dead money left on his contract. He is a $15.4M cap hit for them this season if they don't restructure. His salary this year is $12.75M with a $250K signing bonus.

I find it very hard to believe that Adrian would put $15M at risk to gain $18M in guaranteed money. He wants to protect from a major injury which I understand, but not so sure MN isn't his best source for feeding his bank account. That is, if MN is still interested in keeping him. That is a big sum of money for someone making a lot of waves. Problem is, that other teams are probably not willing to pick up his contract. If it's $18M in guaranteed money on a 3yr contract paying him $12M/yr plus a high draft pick, takes a pretty desperate team. Jacksonville is the only one that makes sense to me, as it will help bring fans to the stadium.

So, if this happened and we dealt AD to the Jaguars, how much else do you think we would have to give up to make this happen?

tastywaves
04-14-2015, 01:21 PM
So, if this happened and we dealt AD to the Jaguars, how much else do you think we would have to give up to make this happen?

Since Jacksonville is picking 3rd, their 2nd round pick (which is actually the 4th pick of that round I believe) might be enough.

Good chance you could pick up Gurley or Gordon and save over $13M in salary cap.

Vikefan05
04-14-2015, 03:48 PM
I kind of wonder how much of the media frenzy is just that: media frenzy. I watch the Dallas papers and there seems to be a new AP Trade article every day. I'm thinking that Mr. Peterson is being led around by a lot of bad advice from people he should be able to trust. I do not see AP sitting out once football begins. He love the game too much to not play. I personally think this has been blown out of proportion by news-starved media and an agent who does not have AP's best interest in mind.

Having said that, my opinion of AP has taken a serious hit. He needs to man up and speak for himself, honor his contract and play football. There are already enough reality dramas on TV...
I cannot imagine AP's latest saga helping any of his sponsorships either, for that matter. Who wants to sponsor a role model that cries when he doesn't get what he wants?

Tad7
04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
A reporter asked Peterson over the weekend if he was going to participate in Vikings offseason activities and he said something like "We'll see. I'm not even reinstated yet"

That guy isn't willing to hold out into the regular season. He could've given a much more dbag answer

snowinapril
04-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Since Jacksonville is picking 3rd, their 2nd round pick (which is actually the 4th pick of that round I believe) might be enough.

Good chance you could pick up Gurley or Gordon and save over $13M in salary cap.

Gurley and Gordon will be gone in the first. There are some teams that need a RB, Dallas, Arizona and SD. Unless you would package that pick to move back into the first round you are not going to get Gurley or Gordon.

Those two go in the first then the RBs slow until the 3rd RD.

snowinapril
04-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Having said that, my opinion of AP has taken a serious hit. He needs to man up and speak for himself, honor his contract and play football. There are already enough reality dramas on TV...
I cannot imagine AP's latest saga helping any of his sponsorships either, for that matter. Who wants to sponsor a role model that cries when he doesn't get what he wants?

Maybe this is all a stunt to get you to stop talking about whoop-ass. We are all talking about where he is going to play. Peterson needs the drama as a smoke screen. It may be a good tactic once he gets back to playing football in MPLS.

tastywaves
04-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Gurley and Gordon will be gone in the first. There are some teams that need a RB, Dallas, Arizona and SD. Unless you would package that pick to move back into the first round you are not going to get Gurley or Gordon.

Those two go in the first then the RBs slow until the 3rd RD.

Ok, package them for two second half first round picks. Net one of the RB's and a quality CB or WR.

I still think Adrian's best move is to stay with MN as I'm not sure other franchises will value him as high as the Vikings do for 2015.

midgensa
04-15-2015, 09:53 AM

He doesn't have $15 million in guaranteed money right now. I believe he is in the $12.5m range left in guaranteed money. Maybe the full season which is 12.75. So, $18m is a big jump. But, no, he won't sit out that is for sure. He is hoping that by pitching a fit someone will come along and offer a pick and a restructure that guarantees more.

Another team could grab him for $18m guaranteed for three years and make it $10 this year, $6 next year and $2 the third year so they could cut ties without it hurting as much. Then he gets his money. They only suck up real cap hits for two years and can walk away at age 32 if he seems way on the decline.

But ... all this is contingent on the trade being accepted and a restructured deal basically being in place right away.

Vikefan05
04-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Maybe this is all a stunt to get you to stop talking about whoop-ass. We are all talking about where he is going to play. Peterson needs the drama as a smoke screen. It may be a good tactic once he gets back to playing football in MPLS.

Hadn't thought of that. Either way, I can't wait to see him back on the field in Purple and Gold.

tastywaves
04-15-2015, 02:48 PM
He doesn't have $15 million in guaranteed money right now. I believe he is in the $12.5m range left in guaranteed money. Maybe the full season which is 12.75. So, $18m is a big jump. But, no, he won't sit out that is for sure. He is hoping that by pitching a fit someone will come along and offer a pick and a restructure that guarantees more.

Another team could grab him for $18m guaranteed for three years and make it $10 this year, $6 next year and $2 the third year so they could cut ties without it hurting as much. Then he gets his money. They only suck up real cap hits for two years and can walk away at age 32 if he seems way on the decline.

But ... all this is contingent on the trade being accepted and a restructured deal basically being in place right away.

Your correct, the $12.75M ($12.5M base and $250K workout bonus) is the right number to look at for guaranteed on current contract vs. what he would get from a new one. The $2.4M has already been paid out as a signing bonus. The $12.5M is essentially guaranteed once the season starts and Adrian is still on the roster as I understand it.

The guaranteed money at the levels of $6M and $2M on years 2 and 3 that you suggest helps the team signing him to part ways in the future, but it takes away from what AD is trying to get IMO. This year is pretty well guaranteed no matter which team he ends up at, it's years 2 and out that he is trying to maximize the guaranteed money. It would take a major injury in order for those levels to have much significance assuming he is protected from injury on those contracts.

tastywaves
04-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Another writer who doesn't think a trade makes sense with AD.

Reading the Cleveland blurb gives a warm fuzzy over are own QB carousel.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485276/article/draftday-trades-id-love-to-see-marcus-mariota-to-cleveland

9) If the Minnesota Vikings must move Adrian Peterson, he goes to ...
A few things ...

If I'm Minnesota, I'm not trading Adrian Peterson. You can't get equal value. It's beyond backwards that Peterson wants to drive the bus here, saying he feels "uneasy" about returning to Minnesota. I felt "uneasy" reading the police report on his treatment of a child.

The Vikings, not Peterson, should make the call as to whether he's changed and ready to return to Minnesota.

If -- and it's a big if -- the Vikes feel like, for whatever reason, Peterson should go ... Enter Arizona. The Cardinals have the need, the locker room and the leadership (with Larry Fitzgerald and Bruce Arians) to make it work. Oh, and there's the fact that a number of folks within the Cardinals organization -- including current GM Steve Keim -- wanted the team to select Peterson with the No. 5 pick in 2007. Rod Graves, the general manager at the time, opted for Levi Brown instead.

Landing Peterson could be the move that propels Arizona to Super Bowl 50.

snowinapril
04-15-2015, 07:34 PM
ESPN analyst rips Peterson's agent for trying to control trade discussion (http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/polian-rips-petersons-agent-for-trying-to-control-trade-discussion)

This is what I was saying all along. I am glad an analyst finally was emphatic about it.

But like I said above, this was a good way to get people to minimize the talk about the whoop-ass.

“I’ve had a lot to say on this subject on [ESPN's NFL] Insiders,” he said. “Let’s take away the hypotheticals for a moment and say the following: Despite anything his agent may say to the contrary or his, quote, people, whoever they may be or say to the contrary, the following are the facts. He has a valid contract, a multi-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings. And if the Minnesota Vikings decide that they want him to play football for them, he will play football for them or play football for no one.

midgensa
04-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Your correct, the $12.75M ($12.5M base and $250K workout bonus) is the right number to look at for guaranteed on current contract vs. what he would get from a new one. The $2.4M has already been paid out as a signing bonus. The $12.5M is essentially guaranteed once the season starts and Adrian is still on the roster as I understand it.

The guaranteed money at the levels of $6M and $2M on years 2 and 3 that you suggest helps the team signing him to part ways in the future, but it takes away from what AD is trying to get IMO. This year is pretty well guaranteed no matter which team he ends up at, it's years 2 and out that he is trying to maximize the guaranteed money. It would take a major injury in order for those levels to have much significance assuming he is protected from injury on those contracts.

I see what you're saying, but I definitely don't think it takes away from what Adrian is trying to get. He just wants MORE guaranteed. $18 million would be significantly more. He is worried that right now he will make $12.75 million more and never see another dime. That is definitely possible. If he gets $18 million guaranteed on a 3-year deal with the back to years being worth comfortably more based on a) not getting cut and b) performing ... he could certainly still make quite a bit of money.

But right now, he and his agent are worried he is looking at $12.75 million this year and then getting cut. He knows that getting a lot for future years past this will be tough considering his age. Would he get a contract next year? Almost assuredly. Would it have a bunch of guaranteed money? Very unlikely. He wants the guarantee NOW.

RK.
04-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Its about time.

The NFL's premier running back is officially back.

The league announced Thursday that Adrian Peterson will be reinstated Friday as an active NFL player and may participate in all scheduled activities with the Minnesota Vikings.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via a source involved, that Peterson will face no further suspension upon reinstatement. U.S. District Judge David S. Doty will decide in October how many game checks the Vikings star will lose, per Rapoport. It could be as many as three or as few as zero.

The Vikings released a statement Thursday indicating that they "look forward to Adrian re-joining the Vikings."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000485756/article/adrian-peterson-to-be-reinstated-effective-friday

thorshammer
04-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Glad he has been reinstated. Now let's get him on the field for the Vikings.

drewlovs
04-16-2015, 11:49 PM
Since there is a lot of over-thinking going on, I took a look through AP's eyes... and a lot of what is going on makes sense.

When all this happened, he was blind-sided; hell, most of what convicted him was evidence that came from his own mouth. He raised his son like he was raised, and had no idea it had in fact become a crime. ALL of his baby-mommas say he is a great father, even after THEIR money was essentially guaranteed due to this controversy (there is no WAY he could afford to miss a single payment to them).

Then, mainly due to Ray Rice, the NFL went over-board (since Rice was untouchable and Goodell needed a target dummy to keep his 30 million dollar salary) and created a new set of rules just for him. Does anyone believe this would have happened to AP if Ray Rice hit his woman in the privacy of his own house? Punishment WAS in order, but Goodell was embarrassed and eager for a distracting scapegoat.

Now, it looked like the Wilfs were going to back him at first- but Goodell and the sponsors put an end to that. BUT... then the reports started surfacing (I know we all saw them, I'm sure he did too) of front office suits anonymously talking crap about him, and saying that he might not wear purple again.

At his darkest moments, even his team was privately taking shots at him. THAT is what I think drives the "uneasiness" in him... and he wants guarantees before he comes back (if he can get them). Couple that with wanting to play for his childhood team (the Cowboys) in his home state, and you have wishful thinking. Besides, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that GOODELL is pressuring to move AP (see other posts I have made in an insane rant on NFL conspiracies) for a feel-good redemption storyline. Again, its my conspiracy theory, so ignore it if you hate those types of things.

It still comes down to my original assessment... AP wants guaranteed money for the 2016 season, or a trade. He might get neither... but I think it is likely he WILL get one. I am hoping we give him the cash before Teddy and the other budding superstars really cost us, and maybe surprise some people this year- I still maintain we were set to have a 10-6 to 12-4 season until this fiasco. There are a LEAST 2 games that having AP would have given us the victory.

RK.
04-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Are the Cowboys tampering. I think so. I hope the Vikings sue them.

Well, after Peterson's reinstatement by the National Football League was announced, the Cowboys posted an article on the team's official website entitled "Reinstated Peterson Would Make Cowboys Serious Contenders." Now, I'm not Perry Mason or Ben Matlock or anything like that, but it appears that this is a pretty significant no-no, much more so than Peterson and Jones' phone conversation.

When looking at the NFL's Anti-Tampering Policy, there's a paragraph on Page 3 that appears to be applicable in this case. It reads like this:

Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club's player to that player's agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: "He's an excellent player, and we'd very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.")

That bold part? Yeah, that's basically the premise of the entire article from the Cowboys' website. In fact, the second full sentence of the article is this:

Adrian Peterson, set for NFL reinstatement on Friday, remains under contract with the Vikings, who have stated publicly they have every intention of keeping their star running back in Minnesota.

I would think that an entire freaking article on the official website of one of the NFL's 32 teams that talks about a team acquiring a player that's currently under contract with a team would fall under that heading, particularly after said story acknowledges that said player is not exactly available.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/4/17/8446287/are-the-dallas-cowboys-tampering-with-adrian-peterson

vikinggreg
04-18-2015, 12:02 PM

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/4/17/8446287/are-the-dallas-cowboys-tampering-with-adrian-peterson

Last month the Cards did the same sort of thing on their sight

Cardinals’ website had an article containing quotes from receiver Larry Fitzgerald regarding the potential addition of Peterson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/17/nfl-declines-to-clarify-website-article-tampering-exception/

Apparently the internet is just a bunch of unregulated BS :think:

drewlovs
04-19-2015, 11:05 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/17/nfl-declines-to-clarify-website-article-tampering-exception/

The internet might be unregulated, but we Vikings found out this last season the league is OVER regulated. Goodell should slam that crap down and place fines on those teams, but he apparently likes to use his own made-up rules over ones that are actually on the books.

To add one more thing before anyone thinks I love AP over children- I personally think a suspension was in order, and surprise surprise!... the current collective bargaining agreement allows for just that!! 6 games- these are the rules Goodell himself agreed to. That he arbitrarily changed things based on his own personal feelings is what made me LIVID.

snowinapril
04-19-2015, 02:21 PM

Does it not matter because they are linking to article written by hack media writers?

If the article took a quote from a Cowboy employee, then that sounds like tampering either way.

But a lot of times, they link these article written by a beat writer so it isn't the team's content so to speak. Still they should refrain from articles that appear to be tampering for their safety.

Tad7
04-20-2015, 08:08 PM
If you believe Jason Cole of Bleacher report, he says in this video (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2436589-insider-buzz-peterson-will-play-for-vikings-if-they-guarantee-majority-of-deal) that Peterson "would be happy to play for the Vikings" if they give him a good guarantee on the rest of his contract.

vikinggreg
04-20-2015, 10:40 PM
If you believe Jason Cole of Bleacher report, he says in this video (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2436589-insider-buzz-peterson-will-play-for-vikings-if-they-guarantee-majority-of-deal) that Peterson "would be happy to play for the Vikings" if they give him a good guarantee on the rest of his contract.
I wonder if Peterson could guarantee he'd pass a drug test tomorrow

C Mac D
04-21-2015, 09:54 AM
I wonder if Peterson could guarantee he'd pass a drug test tomorrow

When have drugs ever been an issue with Peterson?

midgensa
04-21-2015, 10:04 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/10/14/adrian-peterson-child-abuse-marijuana-admission/17250655/

Fairly recently. And under the circumstances ... about as dumb as it gets.

midgensa
04-21-2015, 10:06 AM

This is what I have been saying all along ... EVERYTHING he and his agent are doing is posturing for more guaranteed money. They know he is 30 and that promised money is pretty much gone past this year's guarantee. He wants to get probably somewhere near $20m+ guaranteed now to assure him of as much money as possible ... no matter his injuries or old man concerns that might come up.

midgensa
04-21-2015, 10:10 AM

It is not tampering. It is reporting and news. Every team site has their own reporters that predict things about the future. That is not tampering.

Ben Goesling for ESPN constantly posts thoughts on what the Vikings might do in the offseason or in pursuit of other players. It is frequently picked up by the Vikings official website. The Vikings official website also has a reporter who does this.

Not tampering ... journalism. Whether or not it is good journalism is debatable.

EDIT: All that said ... it seems fairly clear that there was some tampering with Jerry Jones on this issue last season that never came to be a big deal. At this point, tampering is highly likely in this case.

vikinggreg
04-21-2015, 10:16 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/adrian-peterson-admits-to-smoking-a-little-weed-faces-possible-arrest-100914

Just something Peterson mentioned last year

“During this process, the defendant admitted … that he smoked a little weed,” prosecutors wrote in the motion.

jargomcfargo
04-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Did 'roid rage play a role in any of these domestic violence issues in the NFL? OT but within the realm of possibility!

C Mac D
04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/adrian-peterson-admits-to-smoking-a-little-weed-faces-possible-arrest-100914

Just something Peterson mentioned last year

Oh right, forgot about that. Who knows, yesterday was 4/20...

purplehelmut
04-21-2015, 11:14 AM
I think the Vikings should hold fast. Peterson may want more guaranteed money, but he is not due more money. What the hell was the full salary he got paid for not playing last year? There's your guaranteed money bitch. Strap on a jock and get ready to rumble.

BadlandsVikings
04-21-2015, 11:16 AM
It's time to get rid of him, I didnt want him to go and I don't think he should have been suspended for what he did in his personal life but his agent being a bitch has made me lose interest in him

Ted Dibiase
04-21-2015, 11:43 AM
It is not tampering. It is reporting and news. Every team site has their own reporters that predict things about the future. That is not tampering.

Ben Goesling for ESPN constantly posts thoughts on what the Vikings might do in the offseason or in pursuit of other players. It is frequently picked up by the Vikings official website. The Vikings official website also has a reporter who does this.

Not tampering ... journalism. Whether or not it is good journalism is debatable.

EDIT: All that said ... it seems fairly clear that there was some tampering with Jerry Jones on this issue last season that never came to be a big deal. At this point, tampering is highly likely in this case.
I suppose the question is to what extent the OFFICIAL team site (as opposed to the team page on ESPN or CBS) is considered part of the organization. I'm curious but I would think there is a definite distinction. I wouldn't take the NFL's non-statement to mean much. If they're investigating, they probably wouldn't have anything to say until they're done.

tastywaves
04-21-2015, 01:19 PM
It's time to get rid of him, I didnt want him to go and I don't think he should have been suspended for what he did in his personal life but his agent being a bitch has made me lose interest in him

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDFRzA0UUAA9k-4.jpg

#1 overall might do it.

BadlandsVikings
04-21-2015, 01:37 PM

#1 overall might do it.

You would think he makes enough money off his clients to afford the new style jersey

snowinapril
04-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Number 1 and Number 2 next year.

Still not sure how I would feel about it.

Peterson feels very self centered in all of this, it is unappealing from a Viking Fan standpoint. Dogra is a f*cktard.

PAViking
04-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Dogra seems like a jack*ss. Why would any team want to deal with an agent like that? If I was the GM, I'd tell Peterson that the vikings are holding to the current contract, unless he gets a new agent to talk to.

vikinggreg
04-21-2015, 09:59 PM

#1 overall might do it.
He does have some extra time on his hands J.J. Watt fired him last week

snowinapril
04-22-2015, 01:29 AM
He does have some extra time on his hands J.J. Watt fired him last week

Good for Watt

AngloVike
04-22-2015, 04:22 AM
You would think he makes enough money off his clients to afford the new style jersey
That's Peterson's agent, really?? looks like someone dragged out of college for a photo shoot. still accounts for some of the immature approach that he has to being an agent for a top notch NFL player.

purplehelmut
04-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Number 1 and Number 2 next year.

Still not sure how I would feel about it.

Peterson feels very self centered in all of this, it is unappealing from a Viking Fan standpoint. Dogra is a f*cktard.

No way we trade Peterson for picks next year. If there is a deal it will be this year's picks and a couple high ones- one first round. Or we don't do it. Vikings hold the cards and have no reason to take a loss on the deal. Let Peterson and his frat boy agent whine all they want- they have no leverage at all. Business is business. We'll know in a few days. It will come down to draft day.

RK.
04-22-2015, 10:55 AM
There is nobody we could draft this year in the first round that would make us a better team than having Peterson on our team. In fact there are no two players we could draft this year that would make us a better team. That is why he will be playing for us. There has to be something in the trade that makes us better and the fact is no team is going to offer us that.

tastywaves
04-22-2015, 12:31 PM
There is nobody we could draft this year in the first round that would make us a better team than having Peterson on our team. In fact there are no two players we could draft this year that would make us a better team. That is why he will be playing for us. There has to be something in the trade that makes us better and the fact is no team is going to offer us that.

Reportedly the Vikings want a #1 pick and a starting corner. That would be enticing and could possibly make us better. Pair a Gordon/Gurley with a quality starting CB.

But I do agree that it is highly unlikely we will find a trade partner willing to give that much up.

tarkenton10
04-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Arizona may be the key, are they willing to part way s with one of the best CB in the league? Peterson for Peterson and their #1 pick? I might take that and then draft Gurley.

tastywaves
04-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Arizona may be the key, are they willing to part way s with one of the best CB in the league? Peterson for Peterson and their #1 pick? I might take that and then draft Gurley.

If Patrick takes #28, the jersey stays relevant as well. Nobody will ever remember that Adrian fella.

The other similarity between these two is they make similar money. Patrick has a long term contract in place that averages $14M/yr.

purplehelmut
04-22-2015, 01:34 PM
I'd take that deal but I don't think AZ will do it. But that is the type of deal it would take. Bottom line is AP only has a couple good years left and we're a young team looking to get better. Just go back and look at the production of RBs over 30. That history does not bode well, even for a freak like Peterson.

tarkenton10
04-22-2015, 03:07 PM
I just don't see a team that is being rumored to be interested in Peterson that has a CB I would want other than Arizona.

vikinggreg
04-22-2015, 10:27 PM
I just don't see a team that is being rumored to be interested in Peterson that has a CB I would want other than Arizona.
Vikings were interest in Davon House before he signed with the Jags :think:

Would be strange to trade for a guy you didn't get as a free agent

gamecocksbaseball31
04-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Minnesota receives:
P. Peterson
#24 overall

Arizona receives:
A. Peterson

Then Cooper/White become interesting plays at 11 if they are there. Which scenario would you rather see?

1) #11 Cooper, #24 Gurley/Gordon

2) #11 Cooper, #24 La'El Collins/Andrus Peat

3) #11 Scherriff #24 Gordon/Gurley

gamecocksbaseball31
04-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Are people overlooking Cleveland in this whole thing? They have #12 and #19. Any chance they throw those at us? Maybe not both but 19 and Haden?

Ted Dibiase
04-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Minnesota receives:
P. Peterson
#24 overall

Arizona receives:
A. Peterson

Then Cooper/White become interesting plays at 11 if they are there. Which scenario would you rather see?

I'll crap my pants if we get a first rounder plus one of those corners. Starting CB's are extremely valuable. If Spielman gets a single first rounder I say job well done.

To answer the question anyhow, I'd love the second option and although I would not crap my pants, I cannot see Cooper being there at #11. Jets/Bears are 6 and 7 and even if he gets past them, I think someone jumps ahead of us to get him.

tarkenton10
04-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Minnesota receives:
P. Peterson
#24 overall

Arizona receives:
A. Peterson

I THINK THAT SCENARIO MAKES US A HARDNOSED TEAM. I like hard nosed teams, I was rooting for the 49ers the last couple of years because of the way they played ball.

tarkenton10
04-23-2015, 08:52 AM
I'll crap my pants if we get a first rounder plus one of those corners. Starting CB's are extremely valuable. If Spielman gets a single first rounder I say job well done.

To answer the question anyhow, I'd love the second option and although I would not crap my pants, I cannot see Cooper being there at #11. Jets/Bears are 6 and 7 and even if he gets past them, I think someone jumps ahead of us to get him.

Or they may offer us a good trade!!

tarkenton10
04-23-2015, 08:58 AM

I like Cooper but I think there are a lot of talented WRs in this draft, we shouldn't use the first round pick on one. Agholor is the same WR just a step slower. Second round WRs that are pretty good are DGB, Dorsett and Smith. I would rather go for an athletic freak with #11 and then find a WR.

vikesrgreat2
04-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Are people overlooking Cleveland in this whole thing? They have #12 and #19. Any chance they throw those at us? Maybe not both but 19 and Haden?

I'd make the trade of AD to Cleveland for their #19 + Joe Haden. That would trade AD outside the NFC to a team that needs pressure taken off the QB (McCown / Manziel / Shaw). We would then get a great CB that we need, and can use our first-pick on WR, DE, or OT, with the #19 pick for the best available RB (unless we feel McKinnon is the answer going forward). Works for me!

C Mac D
04-23-2015, 09:54 AM
I'd make the trade of AD to Cleveland for their #19 + Joe Haden. That would trade AD outside the NFC to a team that needs pressure taken off the QB (McCown / Manziel / Shaw). We would then get a great CB that we need, and can use our first-pick on WR, DE, or OT, with the #19 pick for the best available RB (unless we feel McKinnon is the answer going forward). Works for me!

You guys who think we're going to get an all-star player plus a first round pick are living in la-la land.

If we got Haden in a trade, the absolute best draft pick we would get would be a 2nd rounder... but in reality would probably be a 3rd rounder.

tarkenton10
04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
You guys who think we're going to get an all-star player plus a first round pick are living in la-la land.

If we got Haden in a trade, the absolute best draft pick we would get would be a 2nd rounder... but in reality would probably be a 3rd rounder.

We are talking like that because rumor has it that the Vikes will only trade for a deal like that.

jargomcfargo
04-23-2015, 12:50 PM
If Peterson were to be traded for a first or second round pick, is there a player worth moving up for in the first round?
Certainly not Gurley. Cooper or Williams could be.
I think they keep AD and pick Parker or a cb at 11.

C Mac D
04-23-2015, 03:36 PM
If Peterson were to be traded for a first or second round pick, is there a player worth moving up for in the first round?
Certainly not Gurley. Cooper or Williams could be.
I think they keep AD and pick Parker or a cb at 11.

Parker would be a waste of a draft pick at 11. REALLY hope that doesn't happen.

midgensa
04-23-2015, 09:00 PM

Yeah ... no shit.

I was reading this and wondering ... what in the hell is going on here!

Anyone who thinks that Patrick Peterson and a No. 1 is available for Adrian Peterson is insane. I wouldn't trade Patrick for Adrian STRAIGHT UP. He is one of the five best players at one of the most important positions in the league.

ZERO percent chance.

Haden and a pick for Adrian is possible considering Haden struggled a bit last year. But getting him and the No. 19 is dreaming as well. Haden a a No. 2 ... stretch ... maybe a No. 3, but even that might be much. Haden clearly has a ton of talent and I don't know how much Cleveland would possibly want to part with him for a 30-year-old back that has been out a year.

I think AD is going to beast out ... but someone taking that risk is taking a real risk. They aren't going to take top-flight CB and No. 1 pick risk for it.

NOW ... the Cowboys have somewhat of a tough call on Morris Claiborne who has shown flashes of his once promise, but has struggled to stay on the field. Him and a No. 1 for a team desperate for AD? Maybe.

thorshammer
04-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Keep AD and take BPA with out first round pick. That's a sure thing vs a trade and who knows. My 2 cents.

tastywaves
04-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Yeah ... no shit.

Anyone who thinks that Patrick Peterson and a No. 1 is available for Adrian Peterson is insane. I wouldn't trade Patrick for Adrian STRAIGHT UP. He is one of the five best players at one of the most important positions in the league.

ZERO percent chance.

Haden and a pick for Adrian is possible considering Haden struggled a bit last year. But getting him and the No. 19 is dreaming as well. Haden a a No. 2 ... stretch ... maybe a No. 3, but even that might be much. Haden clearly has a ton of talent and I don't know how much Cleveland would possibly want to part with him for a 30-year-old back that has been out a year.

I think AD is going to beast out ... but someone taking that risk is taking a real risk. They aren't going to take top-flight CB and No. 1 pick risk for it.

NOW ... the Cowboys have somewhat of a tough call on Morris Claiborne who has shown flashes of his once promise, but has struggled to stay on the field. Him and a No. 1 for a team desperate for AD? Maybe.

You know what they say....it just takes one team to make it happen. Dallas I think is one of the least likely, although looks like they just came up with a bunch more cap space if Hardy sits for 10 weeks. Then again, it just makes them more needy for pass rushers and defense in general. Losing Mo and a first round pick along with Hardy for most of the season would put them in a pretty tough spot.

We'll know next Thursday I guess.

tarkenton10
04-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Parker would be a waste of a draft pick at 11. REALLY hope that doesn't happen.

I think any WR would be a waste at #11, this year's draft is loaded and you could get a quality WR in Round 2, 3 or maybe even 4 if one might fall.

tarkenton10
04-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Yeah ... no shit.

ZERO percent chance.

No one is saying they will trade but the Vikes gave the parameters of what they would accept. That is just a scenario and you never know, who would have thought Minnesota would have given Dallas five quality players and six draft picks for Walker. I would never make that trade and I think that is why AP will be in purple next year.

midgensa
04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
No one is saying they will trade but the Vikes gave the parameters of what they would accept. That is just a scenario and you never know, who would have thought Minnesota would have given Dallas five quality players and six draft picks for Walker. I would never make that trade and I think that is why AP will be in purple next year.

No ... you wouldn't expect it now ... but back then, not everyone thought it was a terrible trade ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11659891/herschel-walker-trade-25th-anniversary-run-birthed-dallas-cowboys-dynasty

---------"The Vikings got Herschel Walker," Randy Galloway wrote in The Dallas Morning News. "The Cowboys got nothing more than a huge handful of Minnesota smoke. And who knows if there'll ever be another fire."

Frank Luksa of the Dallas Times Herald agreed, likening the Cowboys' take to "a bag of beans and a cow to be named later."

The lone voice of support from the media came from Galloway's esteemed colleague, Blackie Sherrod, who wrote: "There will be those saying the Jaybirds got taken like a couple of rubes at the carnival. But here again, there is suspicion there is more to the trade than the announced face value … that may be where the 'conditional draft choices' enter the picture." --------

Hell, the Browns had offered a players, 2 first rounders and three No. 2s. That is why you won't see it now, everyone puts a correct value on first round draft picks. Then people didn't. They almost always rafted for need. There was a lot more regional scouting. A lot more word of mouth. That shit doesn't happen now.

BTW ... five quality players is a little overboard. Holt was the only one that ever started a game for the Cowboys and proved to be fairly useful. The rest of them were ok, but not worth starting and losing the real value of the trade ... CONDITIONAL PICKS.

The trade is all about the draft picks. And BECAUSE of that trade everyone properly values them now.

The Vikings are full of shit if they are saying they want a starting CB and a first rounder. Unless they get a guy that is an average starter at best (Morris Claiborne example) they have no shot at a first rounder.

Talking about, "We would love Haden or Patrick Peterson and the Browns or Cardinals No. 1" is totally ridiculous no matter what the front office has said. That is seriously like wondering aloud if the Jets would give us their newly signed Revis and a first rounder. Or if the Seahawks would part with Sherman ... because Peterson is that good. Haden and a second rounder is our best hope ... and that is only because he may have worn out his welcome in Cleveland ... but even that would be a coup.

tarkenton10
04-24-2015, 03:07 PM
No ... you wouldn't expect it now ... but back then, not everyone thought it was a terrible trade ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11659891/herschel-walker-trade-25th-anniversary-run-birthed-dallas-cowboys-dynasty

---------"The Vikings got Herschel Walker," Randy Galloway wrote in The Dallas Morning News. "The Cowboys got nothing more than a huge handful of Minnesota smoke. And who knows if there'll ever be another fire."

Frank Luksa of the Dallas Times Herald agreed, likening the Cowboys' take to "a bag of beans and a cow to be named later."

The lone voice of support from the media came from Galloway's esteemed colleague, Blackie Sherrod, who wrote: "There will be those saying the Jaybirds got taken like a couple of rubes at the carnival. But here again, there is suspicion there is more to the trade than the announced face value … that may be where the 'conditional draft choices' enter the picture." --------

Hell, the Browns had offered a players, 2 first rounders and three No. 2s. That is why you won't see it now, everyone puts a correct value on first round draft picks. Then people didn't. They almost always rafted for need. There was a lot more regional scouting. A lot more word of mouth. That shit doesn't happen now.

BTW ... five quality players is a little overboard. Holt was the only one that ever started a game for the Cowboys and proved to be fairly useful. The rest of them were ok, but not worth starting and losing the real value of the trade ... CONDITIONAL PICKS.

That is obvious but they were quality players for us. Jesse Solomon, Darren Nelson and Issaic Holt were good players for us that added depth. That trade hurt us more than it even helped Dallas.

The trade is all about the draft picks. And BECAUSE of that trade everyone properly values them now.

The Vikings are full of shit if they are saying they want a starting CB and a first rounder. Unless they get a guy that is an average starter at best (Morris Claiborne example) they have no shot at a first rounder.

They may have set the bar that high because they don't want to trade AP unless someone is dumb enough to give them some crazy compensation.

Talking about, "We would love Haden or Patrick Peterson and the Browns or Cardinals No. 1" is totally ridiculous no matter what the front office has said. That is seriously like wondering aloud if the Jets would give us their newly signed Revis and a first rounder. Or if the Seahawks would part with Sherman ... because Peterson is that good. Haden and a second rounder is our best hope ... and that is only because he may have worn out his welcome in Cleveland ... but even that would be a coup.

I was clamoring then and I believe now that Marcus Allen was our best fit. We could have gotten him for a third round pick. He was a much better fit than Walker. Walker was a Rb that ran hard and needed big maulers to make holes for him, he was not much more than that. Our problem was we had a Zone blocking type of line. Allen could pass block and catch out of the back field, he would have fit our scheme much better. Another miss and another possible super bowl.

drewlovs
04-24-2015, 06:26 PM

Part of me agrees, but then I am reminded of the RGIII trade... or the Trent trade, and what other teams said about THAT. The point is, what is being traded are human beings, and as such, there is no hard and fast rule governing them. 99% of all players traded would not garner more that a single draft pick, 3rd round or lower... except this isn't a player from the 99%.

I am sure you all have read the same articles I have, and watched the same shows (though probably not as religiously as I have, I have a lot of time on my hands), and as ridiculous as we all seem to agree the idea of these trades are, there ARE teams quietly talking about the possibility.

Further, everyone on the NFL Network seems to have a smirk on their faces when they talk about this, as if they know something we don't. Will something happen? I have no idea, but I DO know it is being talked about seriously by one or more NFL teams.

MaxVike
04-24-2015, 07:51 PM
I was clamoring then and I believe now that Marcus Allen was our best fit. We could have gotten him for a third round pick. He was a much better fit than Walker. Walker was a Rb that ran hard and needed big maulers to make holes for him, he was not much more than that. Our problem was we had a Zone blocking type of line. Allen could pass block and catch out of the back field, he would have fit our scheme much better. Another miss and another possible super bowl.

OK…you HAD to open the Marcus Allen wound again. If the Vikes had a friggin brain, they would have DRAFTED Marcus Allen instead of Darrin Nelson…all Vikings fans knew it. Darrin is a fine person, even a pretty decent player, but, he ain't Marcus Allen. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1140806-10-biggest-draft-mistakes-in-minnesota-vikings-history/page/8

And, by the way, I don't give a shit that this article is from Bleacher Report, I COMPLETELY agree with the point.

drewlovs
04-26-2015, 05:25 PM
I am SOOO glad I was a teenager and had girls on the brain when that all happened. The history I paid attention to was painful enough without watching Allen prove season after season the Viking's front office is full of idiots.

tarkenton10
04-27-2015, 08:25 AM
OK…you HAD to open the Marcus Allen wound again. If the Vikes had a friggin brain, they would have DRAFTED Marcus Allen instead of Darrin Nelson…all Vikings fans knew it. Darrin is a fine person, even a pretty decent player, but, he ain't Marcus Allen. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1140806-10-biggest-draft-mistakes-in-minnesota-vikings-history/page/8

And, by the way, I don't give a shit that this article is from Bleacher Report, I COMPLETELY agree with the point.

I am saying even after that mistake we still had a shot at him, he was in Davis' dog house. He was a much better fit for offense than Walker.

MaxVike
04-27-2015, 10:23 AM
I am saying even after that mistake we still had a shot at him, he was in Davis' dog house. He was a much better fit for offense than Walker.

Yep, certainly agree with that too Tark…we struck out multiple times with Marcus Allen, and, it's not as if the whole world didn't know that he was a stud when drafted, and, that he had a lot in the tank still when Al Davis was unhappy with him.

MaxVike
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Viking: Adrian Peterson's remorse lacking, Chris Kluwe says
By Chris Tomasson
ctomasson@pioneerpress.com

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27992922/viking-adrian-petersons-remorse-lacking-chris-kluwe-says

For once, somewhat interesting perspective…from someone who also handled his situation poorly.

midgensa
04-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Part of me agrees, but then I am reminded of the RGIII trade... or the Trent trade, and what other teams said about THAT. The point is, what is being traded are human beings, and as such, there is no hard and fast rule governing them. 99% of all players traded would not garner more that a single draft pick, 3rd round or lower... except this isn't a player from the 99%.

I am sure you all have read the same articles I have, and watched the same shows (though probably not as religiously as I have, I have a lot of time on my hands), and as ridiculous as we all seem to agree the idea of these trades are, there ARE teams quietly talking about the possibility.

Further, everyone on the NFL Network seems to have a smirk on their faces when they talk about this, as if they know something we don't. Will something happen? I have no idea, but I DO know it is being talked about seriously by one or more NFL teams.

You are certainly correct in discussing whether or not trades are being discussed because they definitely are. You are not correct in thinking that ANYONE is talking about Patrick Peterson and a First Rounder for Adrian Peterson. NOBODY is talking about that. Not the talking heads, not GMs and not a VP of player personnel. You cannot possibly show me a link to any legitimate source on that. Nor can anyone show me anything on the Browns trading Joe Haden and a first rounder.

Do I think a player and a first rounder is possible. Definitely. Do I think anyone thinks an elite, young CB and a first rounder is possible ... no.

Taking those things and saying, "Who knows, crazy things happen" is ridiculous and makes no sense. We might as well be talking about trading for Andrew Luck while we are at it. Who knows, crazy things happen. Lets call the Packers and see if we can get Aaron Rodgers. Who knows, crazy things happen.

It is a ridiculous way to back up saying crazy things that, in fact, nobody is talking about.

RK.
04-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Viking: Adrian Peterson's remorse lacking, Chris Kluwe says
By Chris Tomasson
ctomasson@pioneerpress.com

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27992922/viking-adrian-petersons-remorse-lacking-chris-kluwe-says

For once, somewhat interesting perspective…from someone who also handled his situation poorly.

I am so sick of this crap. AP is going to counseling and has said he made a mistake and is sorry and it won't happen again. But that isn't enough I guess. I suppose what he should do is schedule an interview with Oprah and shed some tears on camera so that people can know he is really sorry. geeeze...........

tarkenton10
04-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Yep, certainly agree with that too Tark…we struck out multiple times with Marcus Allen, and, it's not as if the whole world didn't know that he was a stud when drafted, and, that he had a lot in the tank still when Al Davis was unhappy with him.

Amen Brother!!

RK.
04-27-2015, 11:46 AM
The Walker trade brought to light one important thing. Football is a team sport not a super star sport. Walker was the AP of his day but we didn't have the play book or the team in place to use him properly. I doubt if we had Marcus Allen with that same play book or team in place that he would have made that much of a difference either.

vikinggreg
04-27-2015, 04:01 PM
I am so sick of this crap. AP is going to counseling and has said he made a mistake and is sorry and it won't happen again. But that isn't enough I guess. I suppose what he should do is schedule an interview with Oprah and shed some tears on camera so that people can know he is really sorry. geeeze...........
I would almost agree with you if AP wasn't fussing about how he doesn't feel the Vikings haven't backed him enough because of one person in the front office, I have seen far more "I am not sure about returning back to the Vikings" statements than "I made a mistake, my fault I'm sorry, I am responsible".

drewlovs
04-27-2015, 04:47 PM
I would almost agree with you if AP wasn't fussing about how he doesn't feel the Vikings haven't backed him enough because of one person in the front office, I have seen far more "I am not sure about returning back to the Vikings" statements than "I made a mistake, my fault I'm sorry, I am responsible".

It's the same statement, said one time by AP (I think we can all agree to IGNORE agents). It is just getting repeated over and over.

As far as Kluwe, that dude just wants to see people grovel, and he should be in no WAY a judge as to who is or isn't remorseful. Further, wtf does he have to do with the Vikings besides an idiot from our past?

drewlovs
04-27-2015, 04:50 PM
You are certainly correct in discussing whether or not trades are being discussed because they definitely are. You are not correct in thinking that ANYONE is talking about Patrick Peterson and a First Rounder for Adrian Peterson. NOBODY is talking about that. Not the talking heads, not GMs and not a VP of player personnel. You cannot possibly show me a link to any legitimate source on that. Nor can anyone show me anything on the Browns trading Joe Haden and a first rounder.

Do I think a player and a first rounder is possible. Definitely. Do I think anyone thinks an elite, young CB and a first rounder is possible ... no.

Taking those things and saying, "Who knows, crazy things happen" is ridiculous and makes no sense. We might as well be talking about trading for Andrew Luck while we are at it. Who knows, crazy things happen. Lets call the Packers and see if we can get Aaron Rodgers. Who knows, crazy things happen.

It is a ridiculous way to back up saying crazy things that, in fact, nobody is talking about.

I didn't mention any "wacko" trade specifically, it is interesting that of all the extreme trades mentioned, that is the one you locked on to, and put in my mouth as to being credible.

My comment about the NFL Network's smirks only meant that they are acting like they know something will happen for sure, not specifically WHAT.

If I inferred more, I apologize; it was certainly not my intent.

midgensa
04-27-2015, 07:55 PM
I didn't mention any "wacko" trade specifically, it is interesting that of all the extreme trades mentioned, that is the one you locked on to, and put in my mouth as to being credible.

My comment about the NFL Network's smirks only meant that they are acting like they know something will happen for sure, not specifically WHAT.

If I inferred more, I apologize; it was certainly not my intent.

Ah ... all right then.

The only reason I jumped in was because people started talking PPeterson and No. 1 and Haden and No. 1 for AD. Those are both completely idiotic. And then people started saying something about "Crazy things happening so who knows." Which is almost as idiotic.

Obviously trade speculation IS NOT idiotic. He is on the block. And if we get something we like, he will be gone. I think Arizona would be fun. It is where great RBs go to die (see Emmitt Smith and Edgerrin James).

drewlovs
04-28-2015, 12:43 AM
Ah ... all right then.

The only reason I jumped in was because people started talking PPeterson and No. 1 and Haden and No. 1 for AD. Those are both completely idiotic. And then people started saying something about "Crazy things happening so who knows." Which is almost as idiotic.

Obviously trade speculation IS NOT idiotic. He is on the block. And if we get something we like, he will be gone. I think Arizona would be fun. It is where great RBs go to die (see Emmitt Smith and Edgerrin James).

Agreed. I feel certain that the "fresh start" AP is looking for is not in AZ. Call it a hunch.

He wants to be in Texas, and I think he would not mind going to the Texans if the Cowboys say no, but more and more, I think he is going to be staying with us. Charlie Casserly has stated that if he were Spielman, he would not settle for less than TWO #1s. He used the example of Revis, and the Jets getting a #1 and a #3 for him when he could not pass a physical.

If Revis at 30 (or there abouts) with a blown knee and it being unclear as to how he is going to recover is worth that much, AP is almost certainly worth 2 #1s.

tarkenton10
04-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Ah ... all right then.

I was the one who said that if the Vikings could get Peterson and #1 that the Vikes would trade. And that is not idiotic, the scenario was the Vikes wanted a #1 and a #1 CB. I think the only viable candidate with those two parts of the equation is the Cardinals. I never said the Cardinals would trade him or they are likely to trade him. That was the only team bantered about that had the requirements the Vikings stated they wanted for Peterson.

What is idiotic is that you assumed I thought the Cardinals thought it was a good deal. So before you start throwing around the word "idiotic" comprehend the written word a little better.

midgensa
04-28-2015, 08:57 AM
I was the one who said that if the Vikings could get Peterson and #1 that the Vikes would trade. And that is not idiotic, the scenario was the Vikes wanted a #1 and a #1 CB. I think the only viable candidate with those two parts of the equation is the Cardinals. I never said the Cardinals would trade him or they are likely to trade him. That was the only team bantered about that had the requirements the Vikings stated they wanted for Peterson.

What is idiotic is that you assumed I thought the Cardinals thought it was a good deal. So before you start throwing around the word "idiotic" comprehend the written word a little better.

Actually ... on this one ... idiotic is the correct assertion.

The Cardinals ARE NOT the only team with a No. 1 pick and a No. 1 CB. Every single team in the league has a No. 1 corner and every team drafting in the first round has a No. 1 pick to go with that No. 1 CB. And the Vikings said they wanted a STARTING corner and a No. 1 pick. Not a No. 1 corner. They think they have a No. 1 in Xavier Rhodes.

That is why I jumped in and said the Cowboys (who may be ready to bail on Morris Claiborne) could be a candidate because Claiborne could still be viewed as a starting corner in most circles.

The Browns, who are also reportedly in the mix, are ANOTHER team with the "requirements" that the Vikings wanted. So, no, the Cardinals are not the only one.

So, in the end, mentioning Patrick Peterson and the No. 24 pick for Adrian Peterson is idiotic. It has NO CHANCE of ever happening. When this was mentioned, you came back with "you never know" and cited Herschel Walker as an example. That was also pretty idiotic.

So, you can backtrack here all you want about saying whether or not you think the Cardinals would do it. It is obvious they wouldn't. But the assertion and the entire discussion about it were idiotic.

Now, Haden ... more of a ballpark. Claiborne, definitely more of a possibility. PPeterson and No. 24. Idiotic.

tarkenton10
04-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Actually ... on this one ... idiotic is the correct assertion.

The Cardinals ARE NOT the only team with a No. 1 pick and a No. 1 CB. Every single team in the league has a No. 1 corner and every team drafting in the first round has a No. 1 pick to go with that No. 1 CB. And the Vikings said they wanted a STARTING corner and a No. 1 pick. Not a No. 1 corner. They think they have a No. 1 in Xavier Rhodes.

I stated of the teams that were in the discussion (there were only six teams in the trade rumor), GEESH

That is why I jumped in and said the Cowboys (who may be ready to bail on Morris Claiborne) could be a candidate because Claiborne could still be viewed as a starting corner in most circles.

The Browns, who are also reportedly in the mix, are ANOTHER team with the "requirements" that the Vikings wanted. So, no, the Cardinals are not the only one.

So, in the end, mentioning Patrick Peterson and the No. 24 pick for Adrian Peterson is idiotic. It has NO CHANCE of ever happening. When this was mentioned, you came back with "you never know" and cited Herschel Walker as an example. That was also pretty idiotic.

So, you can backtrack here all you want about saying whether or not you think the Cardinals would do it. It is obvious they wouldn't. But the assertion and the entire discussion about it were idiotic.

Now, Haden ... more of a ballpark. Claiborne, definitely more of a possibility. PPeterson and No. 24. Idiotic.

Again, I didn't think it would happen and I did use Hershel walker because there are stupid people in this world, so no it was not idiotic. That is your opinion and though it is highly unlikely stranger things have happened.