PDA

View Full Version : Chad Greenway

Tad7
12-30-2014, 09:36 PM
He's due 7 million dollars on his base salary and counts as 8.8 million dollars to the salary cap in 2015.

Would you like him back at a reduced price? And do you think he will be back?

RK.
12-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Money doesn't win games players do. The question is who replaces him and will it be an upgrade or not. If you have no one to replace him that is at least as good then he stays.

digital420
12-31-2014, 05:21 AM
i've had this question as well. when i asked dad, i think he had a great answer.

1. Greenway has proven he's an nfl calibar lb.
2. Greenway, Barr, Hodges, Cole is a VERy good base of lb's. add in FA or Draft or our youth allready on the PS. we have talent that fits into what Zimm see's. I don't see it breaking this next year. now the year after..
3. Zimm's reaction about Chad when asked shows me that there is a mutual understanding there that Greenway is helping mold the youth. leading that core. he didn't rebuke what Zimm's changes were to the way he played, he accepted and learned from Zimm's coaching. This i'd bet Zimm wants around to show the younger guys that hey.. this coach knows WTF he's talking about.
4. the Wilfs wanna show the reward for the personal conduct. Chad's proly the poster boy for keeping a good image. watch it be promoted!

Personally i think Greenway will be back, i'm sure there will be some kinda restructure. maybe even have an optional year or something. but at least for next season I believe he will be a Viking. his production is still very high, his leadership is very valuable, and it's the perfect way to groom into the position the youth and depth.

DiGiTaL

marshallvike
01-27-2015, 09:29 AM
i've had this question as well. when i asked dad, i think he had a great answer.

2. Greenway, Barr, Hodges, Cole is a VERy good base of lb's. add in FA or Draft or our youth allready on the PS. we have talent that fits into what Zimm see's. I don't see it breaking this next year. now the year after..
3. Zimm's reaction about Chad when asked shows me that there is a mutual understanding there that Greenway is helping mold the youth. leading that core. he didn't rebuke what Zimm's changes were to the way he played, he accepted and learned from Zimm's coaching. This i'd bet Zimm wants around to show the younger guys that hey.. this coach knows WTF he's talking about.
4. the Wilfs wanna show the reward for the personal conduct. Chad's proly the poster boy for keeping a good image. watch it be promoted!

Personally i think Greenway will be back, i'm sure there will be some kinda restructure. maybe even have an optional year or something. but at least for next season I believe he will be a Viking. his production is still very high, his leadership is very valuable, and it's the perfect way to groom into the position the youth and depth.

DiGiTaL

I agree and hope you are right about keeping him.

Marrdro
01-28-2015, 07:28 AM
As always, top shelf old friend. Top shelf indeed.

As I posted in another thread today (yup, multiple posts), I think the staff is looking at the LBrs corps a bit different than most casual fans. I think:

a. The key to running Zims defense is the Mike. When we saw the staff pass up on Mosely for Barr, it wasn't done because of talent alone. It was done because a rookie can not/will not be able to come in and make the calls/get everyone lined up pre-snap.

b. I think Audie was the guy they initially had tapped to be that guy going into the 2014 season but he didn't quite get up to speed quick enough.

c. They will rotate their LB'rs much the same way they do all the other positions (except OL and QB) so 3 LBrs are not enough.

d. Audie (last game) showed that he seems to be pretty close to filling the Mike positions which includes being the QB on the field.

e. If he can't, then I think they will move Chad inside, keep Barr at the Sam and run Audie out there at the Will.

f. That gives the staff the latitude to have 3 LBrs out there that can play every down in the base 4-3 and also lets them shift into 3-4 looks as well as some big nickle looks as well, using multiple LBrs instead of just 2 or 3.

In the end, most fans are really worried about the LBr position, but I'm not. I think we will see them add a kid in the draft to be a future replacement for Chad and add some fresh legs as a rotation guy this year, but it will not be a priority.

DiGiTaL

Traveling_Vike
02-19-2015, 12:01 AM
I certainly hope they keep him, my gf just got me his jersey for my birthday last year.

Seriously, he is among my favorites on the team, and I am really happy that he seems to be developing into a sort of extra coach on the field, much like Winfield was for us. I think Zimmer is trying to groom him for a future coaching role. He's becoming expensive but I think we can bear it for another year before a possible restructuring.

The young talent we have is primed for future success but for the most part are not fully ready for that level of responsibility yet. If you put together the athletic ability of Barr, Cole, Hodges with the experience, savvy and dedication of Greenway, that is a winning combination, IMO.

tarkenton10
02-19-2015, 11:00 AM
I certainly hope they keep him, my gf just got me his jersey for my birthday last year.

Seriously, he is among my favorites on the team, and I am really happy that he seems to be developing into a sort of extra coach on the field, much like Winfield was for us. I think Zimmer is trying to groom him for a future coaching role. He's becoming expensive but I think we can bear it for another year before a possible restructuring.

The young talent we have is primed for future success but for the most part are not fully ready for that level of responsibility yet. If you put together the athletic ability of Barr, Cole, Hodges with the experience, savvy and dedication of Greenway, that is a winning combination, IMO.

I think he restructures or he is gone. He won't get any more money from another team than the Vikes are willing to pay him.

tastywaves
02-19-2015, 11:43 AM
I think he restructures or he is gone. He won't get any more money from another team than the Vikes are willing to pay him.

He mentioned in an interview that he would like to play for another year, beyond that he was more doubtful.

I think it is likely that he would take another pay reduction to get another year with the Vikings. He even mentioned that he would play any role that the team wanted.

tarkenton10
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
He mentioned in an interview that he would like to play for another year, beyond that he was more doubtful.

I think it is likely that he would take another pay reduction to get another year with the Vikings. He even mentioned that he would play any role that the team wanted.

Yeah, most guys that only want to play for one year do not want to pull up roots and go somewhere for one year unless they get a boatload of money. Sorry for saying boat to those of you who are still traumatized by the team incident a while back.

jargomcfargo
02-19-2015, 07:58 PM
I think Jennings, Greenway, and Munnerlyn are all at risk for being cut. Jennings may stay if he restructures, but Greenway and Munnerlyn are at risk even if they are willing to restructure.
As much as I like what Chad has done for this team in the past, he has really slowed down and can't seem to get off blocks. Some of that may be due to injuries, but the injuries are always a concern for an older player going forward.
The cap hit for Munnerlyn is about 600K if they cut him. Maybe Zimmer thinks he can turn it around, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings draft a WR and CB, and promote hodges, Cole, or both; or bring in a free agent linebacker.

jargomcfargo
03-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Well there goes Jennings. Greenway and Munnerlyn are still at risk, but won't be cut until replaced. Greenway will restructure and I can only hope they can find someone better than Munnerlyn.

PurplePowerPunch
03-15-2015, 09:36 AM
I hope he comes back.

Tad7
03-15-2015, 11:25 AM
I hope Munnerlyn shows he belongs. It's hard to believe he's really as bad as he was last season.

PurplePowerPunch
03-17-2015, 05:34 PM
I hope Munnerlyn shows he belongs. It's hard to believe he's really as bad as he was last season.

He just to undersized in my book.

Tad7
03-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Minnesota Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway has taken a pay cut that will give Minnesota more than $3 million in salary cap space, a league source told ESPN's Field Yates.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12575557/chad-greenway-minnesota-vikings-takes-pay-cut-creates-3-million-cap-space