PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Jets Postgame Thread

thorshammer
12-07-2014, 03:37 PM
A very good win for out team. Teddy had a solid game. The running game did just enough. Receivers played well. The D was solid. The O'line held up when it needed to. Special teams not so great but this was a good win.

Ranger
12-07-2014, 03:44 PM
So, is anybody else amazed by the production of this Johnson fella?

thorshammer
12-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I am amazed. Looks like a keeper. I like his quickness and he seems to consistently get open. This team is improving. I am optimistic about the Vikings future.

PurplePowerPunch
12-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Man what a win today. You think we can get Gerald Hodges in the starting line up next year? He impresses me every time he is on the field. Look out NFL, Teddy Bridgewater is here to stay. Finally, we got a chance to see that elite speed from J. Wright. And to think this guy has torn his ACL in his career. Bring on the Kitties! SKOL!!!!

MaxVike
12-07-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm thrilled by this win…any win for that matter. Although, I will admit, I'm even more thrilled by Zimmer's comments after the W…our coach is an old school man, no sugar coating here. Love that.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27088816/vikings-edge-jets-but-theres-no-hurray-from?source=blurb

To win against any team in the NFL with ZERO running game, is impressive. Rex won the field position game, and Sheldon Richardson is a friggin BEAST!

I'm very encouraged by our young players, Rhodes, Hodges, Harrison, Teddy, Johnson, Wright, Rudy (good blocking today, that's a part of being a TE), Griff, McKinnon, etc.

It is clear Zimmer and Norv love Teddy, that will feed him...already has.

The future is bright folks...this Team will be formidable when the new Stadium is opened.

Skol Vikings!!!

VikesfaninWis
12-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Johnson is looking very good, imagine what he would look like with Aaron Rodgers as his QB? The kid would be a standout WR. Nice that he is here and keeping defenses honest. He looks like he runs great routes, jukes the hell out of defenders, and has speed to burn. I like him.

If not for that last pass to win the game, Bridgewater would have had a decent, not great game. He should have had 3 TD passes today, and he finished with a bang. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what he becomes when he has more experience under his belt, another offseason of this offense, a upgrade on the OL, and a true RB next year. I think he can be very good in the NFL.

Zimmer said it right, and that is why I love this guy as the HC. Even though they won, he said it was not a good performance, but it was nice win. He said they have a lot of heart, but they need to work on the mistakes. Even in victory, he makes sure they know that the penalties, and the lackluster play is not acceptable. Never would have heard that from Frazier's mouth.

snowinapril
12-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Why did the Browns cut him? Imagine him and Gordon.

We got him. He has done better than Jennings.

Like I said in the game chat, Teddy has to get through his sophomore season which will get more difficult for him. He will have to really put some work in this offseason.

snowinapril
12-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Q&A with Teddy B, the rest of it is on the Vikings website:

Q: What did you see with that check and the throw to Jarius Wright?

A: I just saw that the New York Jets were going to bring an all-out blitz, so we had a check built into the play. I just saw the look and got us into the right play.

Q: Mike Zimmer just said that this is your franchise. Do you have any reaction to that?

A: This is everyone’s franchise and this is the Vikings franchise and I am the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings. This is as much Vladimir Ducasse’s franchise, Jabari Price, you talk about Jerick McKinnon. All of us play a role and that’s what makes a team great. We all play well here in Minnesota, so we are just going to look at it that way.

Q: Coach Zimmer thinks that you taking over the franchise is the next step in your development. Do you see it that way?

A: I would love to get to that stage. Like I said, I don’t want to just be the guy for just a couple games or a year, I want to continue to be the guy and have a long career. I just have to continue to get better. Like I said, this is the Minnesota Vikings franchise and I’m just the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings.

Nice answers, I don't want him to be a Cam or RGIII. I guess Cam is doing well, his team stinks. Basically, I want him to be a long time starter with great leadership.

Let's see how he progresses.

snowinapril
12-07-2014, 10:03 PM
We pretty much worked with the back up linemen all game. Is Kalil the only starting lineman from the beginning of the season?

Found this in an article on Bleacher Report on the Jets reporting. 82% rating on blitzes bit them in the butt.
"As inconsistent as Bridgewater has been steering the Vikings through an up-and-down 2014 season, there is one trait opponents have been able to count on this season: his wild variance in performance with and without pressure.

According to statistics provided by Pro Football Focus, Bridgewater's performance is essentially dependent on the presence of pressure. Specifically, Bridgewater is much more effective when he is not blitzed, getting the most of his production against more conservative defenses.

Teddy Bridgewater Under Pressure Pressure Completion % Sacks Yards/Attempt QB Rating
No 65.3 0 7.6 87.6
Yes 52.7 25 4.2 61.5
No Blitz 62.7 19 6.6 77.5
Blitz 57.8 6 6.1 82.3

Source: Pro Football Focus"

Tad7
12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Harvin had a season ending ankle injury as a Viking in 2012. He had a season ending hip injury against the Vikings in 2013. Now it's believed Harvin could be done for the season after the ankle injury today.

I guess he can carry on with his concocted hatred of the Vikings.

Suick
12-08-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm thrilled by this win…any win for that matter. Although, I will admit, I'm even more thrilled by Zimmer's comments after the W…our coach is an old school man, no sugar coating here. Love that.

I'm with Zimmer on this one. Not to be a wet blanket..........but it was the Jets for God's sake. Our 2ndary made one of the worst QB's in the league look good!

If we could of held on to slippery Geno a couple of times it would of made a huge difference. I was going nuts watching him slither out of would-be sacks.

TB looked good. We may just have something here.

MaxVike
12-08-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm with Zimmer on this one. Not to be a wet blanket..........but it was the Jets for God's sake. Our 2ndary made one of the worst QB's in the league look good!

If we could of held on to slippery Geno a couple of times it would of made a huge difference. I was going nuts watching him slither out of would-be sacks.

TB looked good. We may just have something here.

Not a wet blanket at all… I'm not blind to the areas for improvement. I'm very encouraged that our HC doesn't give bullshit answers, holds himself and his players accountable, and, despite the numerous issues, the Team found a way to win.

I'm also extremely encouraged by Bridgewater's progress. Also, did you catch his reaction after the walk off TD? There wasn't one, he acted like he's been there/done that. I agree, we may just have something there.

digital420
12-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Harvin had a season ending ankle injury as a Viking in 2012. He had a season ending hip injury against the Vikings in 2013. Now it's believed Harvin could be done for the season after the ankle injury today.

I guess he can carry on with his concocted hatred of the Vikings.

i told Dad when the game started. "Harvin will be hurt for the year in this game" becuase it seems he's always getting hurt in Minny. with the vikes, sea chickens, and now jets.. he also does have a way of showing us why he was worth so much when we traded him.

as for the Vikes.

Zimm's coaching style is really starting to show itself. guys were fighting till the end, yes there were a lot of mistakes, but also a lot of improvements.

Teddy, finding a way to keep things moving. so far based on the same draft class, we got the best of the flock.

our O.. starting to move a bit more, we're getting more TD's then FG's. get a solid #1 rb in there (wish wish for AP) and this could be a dangerous O to play.

D. based on how we held in the first half and how we stuck it in the end. we had a great game. giving up all those yards is a bit scary. but they are bending, and holding when possible! though we played a very loose cb buffer vs theh wr's and as Zimm said, we didn't seem to contest catches, but they had very few yac'd catches.

Play calling, i loved the fact we were able to get yards and setup a FG try with 28 seconds. and we're keeping D's from overloading blitzes.

on the train.. better review coming later.
but man Johnson is really coming out!

still 6 / 7 not bad at all.

DiGiTaL

digital420
12-08-2014, 07:43 AM
just for a few lol's about the game.

i'm generally talking on the phone with dad (back in mn), there are times my streams come in faster then local feeds. so he switches to the radio. why. our streams can be seconds apart, i'll search for various ones and on average i'm 10 sec behind kfan. 3-5 seconds behind tv broadcasts. for the most part he'll hold his cheering, or cursing till i've seen the play. i'll hear a yess, or go go here and there. but on the OT TD play. i got was.

"right, 3rd, n 5.. we need a first down. Ohh shit blitz, jarius wright, jarius wrignt. JARIUS WRIGHT!!!!!! ohh.. First down!"

makes me lol now that i see the replay, i can tell where each jarius wright came from.. and when he pass'd the red FG line musta been the ohh.. First down remark.

DiGiTaL

AngloVike
12-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Not a wet blanket at all… I'm not blind to the areas for improvement. I'm very encouraged that our HC doesn't give bullshit answers, holds himself and his players accountable, and, despite the numerous issues, the Team found a way to win.

I'm also extremely encouraged by Bridgewater's progress. Also, did you catch his reaction after the walk off TD? There wasn't one, he acted like he's been there/done that. I agree, we may just have something there.

I like our HC and the fact that, even with a win, he still has standards and will hold people accountable where needed. The team may not be lighting the league up but they are definitely moving in the right direction in both attitude and application. Much as I would have preferred Teddy to spend the season learning rather than being thrown in at the deep end, I have been pleased with his progress and have better feelings as we move on.

purplehelmut
12-08-2014, 08:51 AM
A win has a way of putting the performance on the back burner for some, but we were extremely fortunate to pull this one out against what is considered to be one of the worst teams in the league. Our secondary did not look good and it seemed to me Robinson and Captain (who should probably be bucked down to Private) did not play well. Maybe it was a play here and there but they looked out of position a lot. Much room for improvement but we'll take the W.

Suick
12-08-2014, 10:49 AM
It all coming together...........................

In The Hunt
Tiebreaking Procedures

NFC

Cowboys

(9-4-0) Proj: 7th Seed

49ers

(7-6-0) Proj: 8th Seed

Vikings

(6-7-0) Proj: 9th Seed

Rams

(6-7-0) Proj: 10th Seed

RK.
12-08-2014, 11:32 AM
It was great to see us win and to see us improving a bit week to week. However remember this is the Jets we are talking about not Green Bay or the Pats or the Broncos etc. The Jets are ranked 29 in the ESPN power rankings. I will get more excited when we beat a top 10 ranked team.

tastywaves
12-08-2014, 02:37 PM
It was great to see us win and to see us improving a bit week to week. However remember this is the Jets we are talking about not Green Bay or the Pats or the Broncos etc. The Jets are ranked 29 in the ESPN power rankings. I will get more excited when we beat a top 10 ranked team.

It was just the Jets, but rather than finding a way to lose the game, they found a way to win.

We finish with the Lions, Dolphins and Bears....oh my. What do you think? One more win to finish at 7-9.

digital420
12-08-2014, 03:15 PM

any given sunday!! look. the 49rs lost to oakland.. the worst team. I agree beating a team barly that's considered way below in overall team ability is bad, but we did win, which is good. we missed 2 field goals. gave up a saftey. and still won. we had more td's then fg's..

we'll see coming down the stretch how much we have improved for this year. and build on that for next. as a viking fan ov 30 odd years. it's kinda the natural flow.. just this time around. i have a LOT more faith in the coaching staff!!

DiGiTaL

snowinapril
12-09-2014, 02:25 AM
One thing that I was thinking while rewatching parts of the game, our D didn't pour it on but we did well.

The ball was on the 30 yard line, we blitzed Smith and sacked Gino for a 15 yard loss which took them out of FG range. Then our offense let the Jets have 2 points.

Capt got beat by Harvin and had a PI that kept a drive alive which turned into 7 points.

Robinson tackled well the whole game but got beat for the Harvin TD.

Special teams allowed Harvin to get back into Viking territory which was an instant 4 points. It took one first down to get that FG.

I am trying to say that the parts of the team weren't helping the rest of the team. At the end of all of this, the score is Jets 12- Vikings 14.

We then had 21 points on the board with 13 minutes left in the second quarter and we were stuck there for most of the rest of the game.

The D gets a fumble recovery as the Jet is heading into the endzone, very fortunate. They let the Jets march and then got lucky on the one yard line.

If it wasn't for Harvin, what would the Jets have done? Robinson and Smith hit Harvin hard a few times each. Hodges made some great pass defenses including the INT for a TD. Capt had a second PI that kept a drive alive. Vikes had a six point lead at half.

Patterson fumbles the ball on the opening kick off after half, another special teams issue. C-Pat losing his drive. The Defense steps up and hold the Jets to a FG. 18 to 21.

The next drive for the Vikings was kept alive by penalties while we kept the clock running. We get to FG range and Walsh misses. Wonder if Walsh got hurt on that Harvin tackle earlier in the game.

Jets drive the field, get to the red zone and then Griff had a chance for an INT. Jets tie game with another FG.

C-Pat scares the crap out of me with the ball coming out again, luckily he was down by contact. Tate comes in and spells Asiata in this series and does well. Johnson does the same move he did before to get open in the end zone but the pressure up the middle was too much to get the ball off in time, the defender catches up to defend the ball. Nice move CJ. Ends in a punt.

Here is where the secondary turns it up a notch. Jets go 3 and out, punt, and give us a short field starting on the Jets 47. CJ and Wright get us inside the 10 on two plays. Which was our first trip inside the red zone. We get a FG after going roughly 38 minutes without scoring.

Harvin almost give us the ball on the kick return. Rhodes attacks Harvin, no catch. Few more plays and a punt. Jets couldn't challenge a spot or they risked losing a time out.

Another special teams error, block to the back. Pins us back near our 10 yard line. Holding on Kalil, half the distance to the goal, declined by Jets. Punt muffed by the Jets and Exum overshoots the ball, Jet recover and march the field to get a FG that eventually sends to OT. Griff nearly had Gino and runs for a first down and then some.

Vikes progress quickly down the field and get to a 53 yard FG attempt which gets blocked. What is wrong with Walsh, injured or off. Pushed it again.

Jets wins toss and get ball first. Jets get down field via Decker, Blanton gets hurt. The D mans up and brings the blitz with Capt and Smith rushes the throw and the JETS are forced to punt.

The Vikings run the ball twice and then call the right play to Wright and the game is over. On that play, Teddy audibles for the upcoming blitz, Jennings got pancaked but it was still effective. Wright made the correct decision to not wait for Sullivan to get in front, just went right around him. TD!