PDA

View Full Version : What should Adrian Peterson's league punishment be?

Traveling_Vike
11-07-2014, 01:44 AM
What do you think it should be? Not what it WILL be, but what would be appropriate? Additional suspension? Retroactive suspension? How many games? Fines? Repayment of salary to the team? Some combination of these? Or maybe something else I haven't thought of?

My personal opinion is this: Six games, retroactively served. Repayment of that six weeks' salary to the team. Plus a fine to the league of somewhere around $50,000 for conduct detrimental to the league. These figures seem to be in line with past punishments for similar offenses.

I do not think that he should pay full game check sized fines to the league. The man makes around $396,000 per game. Even two games' worth would be the highest fine ever assessed by the league on a player, by an order of magnitude. It would be entirely unprecedented. Paying back the team, however, IMO would be fully justified for a backdated suspension, because he would not have been paid for those weeks in the first place, had he been suspended back then.

Let's hear what you think!

snowinapril
11-07-2014, 02:17 AM
The report on NFLN about 9 hours ago states that he is subject for a 6 game suspension. Because he was on paid leave, his suspension would be from here forward.

That is BS. He better be able to give back his paychecks and then have those games count as suspension. The league wants people to forget about this. They probably don't want the publicity this season.

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2014, 07:33 AM
He should just be fined. The commissioners exempt list should be considered enough of a suspension, but the hammer will be dropped on him to set an example

Tad7
11-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I expect an additional 6 game suspension

What I think SHOULD be done is he is fined 6 game checks while being able to play.

thejck
11-07-2014, 09:24 AM
As a Viking fan I am pissed that if he is not reinstated immediately unless his suspension is greater that 8 weeks.
We have already paid him for the 8 weeks and we should be allowed to use him now (without pay preferably).
The owners and the GM should be jumping up and down on the commish demanding this.

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2014, 09:25 AM

What I think SHOULD be done is he is fined 6 game checks while being able to play.

He should offer to give his whole 2014 salary to child abuse charities in exchange to be able to play

RK.
11-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Its a ^%$#^#$ misdemeanor not a felony. The NFL needs to make it go away now.

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2014, 11:43 AM

It would be easy for them to make it go away if they would just ignore the stupid social media slacktivists that have fake outrage and try to get everybody fired

tastywaves
11-07-2014, 12:00 PM
The report on NFLN about 9 hours ago states that he is subject for a 6 game suspension. Because he was on paid leave, his suspension would be from here forward.

That is BS. He better be able to give back his paychecks and then have those games count as suspension. The league wants people to forget about this. They probably don't want the publicity this season.

Exactly. They are making a ridiculous point about how being on the exempt list is not punishment because he is getting paid. Simple answer is to treat whatever suspension is applicable (4, 6 or whatever) and take that from the 8 he's served. If suspension means no paychecks, then have him give up the appropriate paychecks.

The bigger issue to me is that the punishment isn't being levied so much on Adrian as it is the ball club and the fans that want to see him play. Seems a bit misplaced and by not putting the guy back on the field they only exacerbate it.

Ricky Williams said hey, if they were paying me not to play, I would take the rest of the year off and go on vacation. Just chill out and get ready for next year when this all dies down.

Again, who are we punishing?

rockymtdan
11-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Ricky Williams said hey, if they were paying me not to play, I would take the rest of the year off and go on vacation. Just chill out and get ready for next year when this all dies down.

AP is not Bob Marley. Like a dog after a bone this is killing him. The NFL can not compensate AP or the Vikings for a year of football we can never get back.( they will fuck this up and quasi apologize later) Now all the history books will have *had he played* projections

tastywaves
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
AP is not Bob Marley. Like a dog after a bone this is killing him. The NFL can not compensate AP or the Vikings for a year of football we can never get back.( they will fuck this up and quasi apologize later) Now all the history books will have *had he played* projections

Understand Ricky is a bit more laid back then most, but he does make a good point. The NFL seems to be taking a lot of the same stance. The more time that goes by, the more people forget about it and the easier it is to transition him back in. If it's the start of next season it will have far less distraction associated with it. If he comes back just to help the Vikings push for the playoffs,then people once again will question motives.

drakkar
11-07-2014, 01:15 PM
It would be easy for them to make it go away if they would just ignore the stupid social media slacktivists that have fake outrage and try to get everybody fired

Amen!!!

tastywaves
11-07-2014, 01:24 PM

Unfortunately, they've already screwed the pooch on that one. As soon as they let public opinion sway them, they opened themselves up to be controlled by them. Goodell should never have agreed to being judge and jury. The sooner he can drop this the better it will be for all.

kingpin9995
11-07-2014, 01:42 PM

As I have been saying all along, the special interest and PC crowd are going to force the league and the Vikings to make sure Peterson does not see the field this season. They will suspend him the rest of the season with no pay and that will be that. The Vikings know the moment he is reinstated the holier than thou crowd will be outraged and make themselves heard very loudly. Hell Nike even cancelled his contract yesterday. The Vikings saw what happened when they tried to bring him back. They won't and can't make the same mistake twice. WE WANT TO GET THSI RIGHT.... REMEMBER THAT LINE... It's sad but it's where this country is now.. These whacks don't believe in second chances..

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 01:58 PM
I think that it should be a retroactive suspension. Nothing he did was in malice or hate, just ignorance, which can be and has been (hopefully) remedied. Him not playing is the same as him being suspended, in effect. Have him donate all those checks to charity and come back and save the Vikings and my fantasy team ;)

BadlandsVikings
11-07-2014, 02:05 PM
I have the answer. Rice and Peterson in an elevator. The person who walks out gets to play

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/westvirginiavikings/fc3d8f284d5f42a0f39b439c70a21c2f.jpg

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 02:17 PM
I have the answer. Rice and Peterson in an elevator. The person who walks out gets to play

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/westvirginiavikings/fc3d8f284d5f42a0f39b439c70a21c2f.jpg

I'd take this guy http://38.media.tumblr.com/54d65dbb1d62223b1dccd3d04ab0cd34/tumblr_mhxjz7RoBx1s5wvh5o1_500.jpg over this guy http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oioFJ8thf44/maxresdefault.jpg

marshallvike
11-10-2014, 09:25 AM
4 game checks. Suspension served retroactively. Personally I don't think he should lose any checks, I just think that may satisfy some of the hanging crowd out there.

kingpin9995
11-10-2014, 02:18 PM
I hate to say this but I think the Vikings are going to release Peterson this week. They put themselves in this corner when they tried to put him on the roster and the special interests and sponsors punched back. They know the same thing is going to happen as soon as he is reinstated. The Wilfs are going to cut ties because they have said WE ARE GOING TO GET THIS RIGHT... They blew this up already and are not forced to part ways with Adrian. Sad but I think that is exactly what goes down this week.

raptorman
11-11-2014, 12:08 AM

I have a better idea. Rice, Peterson and Goddell in an elevator and the two that walk out get to stay in the NFL.

C Mac D
11-11-2014, 09:08 AM
I hate to say this but I think the Vikings are going to release Peterson this week. They put themselves in this corner when they tried to put him on the roster and the special interests and sponsors punched back. They know the same thing is going to happen as soon as he is reinstated. The Wilfs are going to cut ties because they have said WE ARE GOING TO GET THIS RIGHT... They blew this up already and are not forced to part ways with Adrian. Sad but I think that is exactly what goes down this week.

Hmmm... no.

Willing to put some money on that? If Peterson is still on the team come Sunday, I win. Deal?

Tad7
11-11-2014, 08:35 PM
I hate to ruin your bet C Mac...lol...but yeah, there's no chance Peterson is released this week.

raptorman
11-12-2014, 12:27 AM
The only way Peterson sees the field now is if the Vikings make the playoffs. The NFL has set it up perfect for him to get a 6 games suspension after the Bears games.

Tad7
11-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Players have to agree to go on that commissioner's exempt list and the players that agreed to go on there did the league and teams a favor by not playing and staying out of the spotlight a bit. If Peterson gets the full 6 games still, no player will ever see the need in doing the league or teams a favor again.

I'm hoping Goodell sees the value in players being willing to go on that list and goes a little light on AP. Yes, I said hoping, not expecting.

TeamSoftware
11-12-2014, 10:08 AM
I believe the FO thinks it can beat the Bears so they will hold off until next week to re-instate him. This buys a little good will with the public, hey we waited to make a good decision, with little downside if we beat the Bears.

--Scott

MaxVike
11-12-2014, 09:44 PM
I believe the FO thinks it can beat the Bears so they will hold off until next week to re-instate him. This buys a little good will with the public, hey we waited to make a good decision, with little downside if we beat the Bears.

--Scott

The FO is avoiding another PR disaster by waiting until the League decides AD's fate. They would be foolish to reinstate until Goodell decides any further punishment.

Minniman
11-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Exactly, especially since he did not wish to go on the commissioner's list to begin with.

PurplePowerPunch
11-15-2014, 01:42 PM
He should offer to give his whole 2014 salary to child abuse charities in exchange to be able to play

I agree. Good call 👍

mountainviking
11-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Exactly. They are making a ridiculous point about how being on the exempt list is not punishment because he is getting paid. Simple answer is to treat whatever suspension is applicable (4, 6 or whatever) and take that from the 8 he's served. If suspension means no paychecks, then have him give up the appropriate paychecks.

The bigger issue to me is that the punishment isn't being levied so much on Adrian as it is the ball club and the fans that want to see him play. Seems a bit misplaced and by not putting the guy back on the field they only exacerbate it.

Good Point Tasty, I totally agree that this punishes the Vikings and the Fans and there is a many vs. one level that is not the 'greater good' there. But in this case, I think Peterson is the rare player who may very likely miss playing more than the money. He's just too focused, look at his recovery from ACL surgery! And he has high career goals set that he expects to hit...

Another good point is that he volunteered for this 'exempt list' to help the team and the NFL save face, and now they want to suspend him further!? The fairest thing to do that is totally within the rules and any open minded, reasonable thought pattern is to give him the first strike (it is) penalty under the new DV policy, which is 6 games, which he has already served 8 of, and then take those 6 games worth of pay back from him. Furthermore, that sizeable amount of money should be directly applied to furthering education and helping victims of abuse. Seems simple really, only far too often, it's the people with the least thoughts in their heads who make the most noise and thus get heard, whether they're right or wrong or missed the point entirely.

I highly doubt that we'll see the Vikings cut him out right. He is still quite possibly the best back the NFL has ever seen, and thus, even at 30, he still holds value. I would guess he is worth more than we got for Percy Harvin, even with this ugly blemish on his name.

rockymtdan
11-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Good Point Tasty, I totally agree that this punishes the Vikings and the Fans and there is a many vs. one level that is not the 'greater good' there. But in this case, I think Peterson is the rare player who may very likely miss playing more than the money. He's just too focused, look at his recovery from ACL surgery! And he has high career goals set that he expects to hit...

Another good point is that he volunteered for this 'exempt list' to help the team and the NFL save face, and now they want to suspend him further!? The fairest thing to do that is totally within the rules and any open minded, reasonable thought pattern is to give him the first strike (it is) penalty under the new DV policy, which is 6 games, which he has already served 8 of, and then take those 6 games worth of pay back from him. Furthermore, that sizeable amount of money should be directly applied to furthering education and helping victims of abuse. Seems simple really, only far too often, it's the people with the least thoughts in their heads who make the most noise and thus get heard, whether they're right or wrong or missed the point entirely.

I highly doubt that we'll see the Vikings cut him out right. He is still quite possibly the best back the NFL has ever seen, and thus, even at 30, he still holds value. I would guess he is worth more than we got for Percy Harvin, even with this ugly blemish on his name.

True this guy is not normal he may still be in the top 5 RBs at age 35. I would not trade him for Percy.

mountainviking
11-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Another really good point I've seen a few others make is that this is the easy way out for the NFL and the team...by waiting for somebody else to make the decision, they can kind of push some of the backlash off on the court and arbiter.

The more I simmer on it, the more I could see them trading him away during the off season. Our running game has been decent with the 1-2 punch we have in McKinnon and Asiata, currently tenth overall in the NFL. And, we could use help at other places and easily add good RB depth via a 2nd or 3rd or even free agency.

vikinggreg
11-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Good Point Tasty, I totally agree that this punishes the Vikings.......

I might be punishing the Vikings and it could be helping them a bit too, if they want to distance themselves from Peterson having the league keep him away puts the black hat on Goodell and could give the Vikings a chance to do some sort of deal during the off season or predraft since the trade deadline has passed. Also with Peterson being banned from being with the team, meetings, trainers etc there is a bit more of a chance of him not being on the same page with the offense and also a chance of injury.

But at this point it really looks to be the union butting heads with Goodell and Peterson and the Vikings watching, and I also think its only moments away from Rusty Hardin getting more involve...

MaxVike
11-15-2014, 08:53 PM
I might be punishing the Vikings and it could be helping them a bit too, if they want to distance themselves from Peterson having the league keep him away puts the black hat on Goodell and could give the Vikings a chance to do some sort of deal during the off season or predraft since the trade deadline has passed. Also with Peterson being banned from being with the team, meetings, trainers etc there is a bit more of a chance of him not being on the same page with the offense and also a chance of injury.

But at this point it really looks to be the union butting heads with Goodell and Peterson and the Vikings watching, and I also think its only moments away from Rusty Hardin getting more involve...

AP blowing off a meeting with the League…http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/15/report-adrian-peterson-backed-out-of-a-meeting-with-the-nfl/ seems, to me, to be odd. Certainly, there must be a legal reason or legal reasoning, but…seems odd. I'm certain that all is currently not being disclosed publicly. I just have a hunch the Vikes don't want anything to do with Peterson going forward…