PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Defeat the "Washington Football Team" 29-26. Post-Game Discussion Thread

12purplepride28
11-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Great team win today. Bad first half, and some typical bullshit calls against us. We overcame it all and got the victory. Love what I saw from the D and Bridgewater in the end.

vikinggreg
11-02-2014, 05:26 PM
After watching the Skins defense motor over the Cowboys line and beat Romo up I did have some big concerns about the Vikes line and rookie QB.

Yes there were some missed big passes and some defensive miscues but I am very happy heading into the bye with a win and see the Bears in two weeks

SKOL!!

digital420
11-02-2014, 05:42 PM
a lot of things to like from the win, and a lot to improve on.

loved the chances down the field, didn't like the execution. though, i really did like teddy's overall day. quicker reads, better decisions, some solid lasers of throws.

running game is odd, but effective.

a noticeable growth in the communications with qb/wr cp seemed kinda lost @ times, but we are moving the ball, and effectively not giving up cheap turnovers.

defence, stepping up more and more each game. last few years we woulda lost that game on a late run.
so many players to name, Griffen living up 2 his contract, Barr - golden 1st round pick!, even chad looked energized. Zimm's changed this D allready, we're 2nd in sacks, maybe pushing for 1st.

coaching. Solid work both sides of the ball, Norv adjusted to fit the D he was facing, and Zimm kept getting into Rg3's face and didn't give him anything to play with.

SPT - i don't mind starting ont he 15+ with cp running those deep kicks out. because some will go longer, some all the way. Scherels doing great on both sides of the kicking team. just gotta take care of the ball!

fans. i could hear a lot of people yelling. figured it's gonna start getting cold there. ohh also love how the vikings will always be on the sunny side!
\
DiGiTaL

Tad7
11-02-2014, 05:51 PM
After driving me crazy early on, Bridgewater played well for most of the game. That deep ball has to improve though. He missed 1 open chance and 1 wiiide open chance. That seems to happen once or twice a game.

I'm glad that horrible personal foul on Harrison Smith didn't help lead to a loss...horrible call.

tfrey1225
11-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Glad to beat the Deadskins. Some of the calls against us were "questionable" to put it mildly. Especially that roughing the passer call. I also didn't care for RGIII's crybaby tactics to get that penalty called. Nice to go into a bye week with back to back wins.

thorshammer
11-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Thought we played a great game today. We beat the Skins and the refs for a change. Made my day.

12purplepride28
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
I don't know about you guys but I flipped out when we took Anthony Barr at 9. Boy was I wrong about him. Love having a potential superstar in our LB corp.

Traveling_Vike
11-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Tremendous win today. I'm feeling considerably better than I did two weeks ago about this team's future. Although I was once again unable to watch the game (We had Eagles/Texans and Chargers/Dolphins here in Indy. That latter one switched over to Jets/Chiefs when it got out of hand.) I was following on nfl.com's game tracker and also relying heavily on the game day chat crew here to keep me informed. Those of you who haven't tried the gameday chat yet, give it a try. We've had some great conversations there.

I have to admit, I was worried early on when we got down 10-0. Although it was good to see us taking some shots downfield, Teddy's accuracy was poor, and Norv just kept on calling passes. There was never any real effort to establish the running game, which was really frustrating. In the end, though, it paid off.

I can't remember the last time we went into the fourth quarter trailing, and then took the lead. Yeddy really seems to be at his best when he is under pressure, and especially time pressure. He looks great in the 2-minute offense.

Jennings finally made an appearance as a real offensive weapon. Ford and Ellison played well in place of Rudolph (who will hopefully be back after the bye). The D continues to play hard and with focus.

My biggest concern now is minimizing the penalties. I'm OK with being 4-5 at this point. Most early predictions had us within a game of that anyway, no matter how we actually got here. We got to the bye without self-destructing. Now we need to use the time to sharpen things up and come out with fire in our eyes in two weeks.

PurplePowerPunch
11-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Loving our D-Line right now. Those guys get after it I tell you! Teddy finally calmed down and made some key throws in the 2nd half. Barr will be our new Greenway soon. Dude is a Baller! Floyd is also playing lights out also. Refs tried to take the game from us but we refused to lose and kept on battling. Let's heal up them bring on the Cubs.......I mean Bears!! Skol!

mountainviking
11-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm still not real confident about how many games we'll actually win this year, but I am definitely liking where this team is headed! The Defense has already improved dramatically and our front is bringing pressure regularly. Teddy seems to have plenty of arm strength and while there's been some bumps along the way, the poise he's shown at other times gives him at least some potential to develop into a reliable starter. IF he can learn how to put just a bit more touch on those long balls, we just might dominate on offense and open up even more pass rush plays for the defense. ;)

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!

BadlandsVikings
11-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Nice win, but the title of this thread is bullshit, enough with political correctness

MaxVike
11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Nicely done Vikes!

Teddy: growing pains, missed a bunch of opportunities early. But, he made up for them later. Kid isn't afraid to stand in there and take a shot…he took a few yesterday. I think we've got ourselves a winner, not just a good QB, but one that knows how to win.

OLine: pitiful first half, I mean pitiful. Second half was better…I'm looking forward to the day Kalil rediscovers how to block, good grief.

RB: McKinnon struggled a bit, I think because the OLine was an abomination. He found a bit of a groove later in the game. Asiata is a goal line beast. Both of them had key blitz pickups and were effective receivers.

WR: Jennings is finally contributing in a meaningful way…not just catching the ball. I LOVE the fact that he huddled the OLine and said whatever he said to them. Patterson is really struggling in this offense…it is very clear he's not ready to be a #1, let alone a #2 at this stage (just my opinion). I think he'll get there, but, he's not there yet. Not sure why Wright isn't on the field more, kid is a baller.

TE: Ford is capable, as is Ellison. Neither one is the second coming of Gronk, but were both solid contributors yesterday.

Defense: The Vikes have one or more big time playmakers at every level of the defense. Griffen, Floyd, Barr, Hodges (yes, Hodges), Rhodes, and Smith are a great nucleus of aggressive playmakers to compliment. DLine rotation and scheme is delivering results good enough to bring back some memories of great past Viking DLines for us old timers. As long as Zimm is HC and the injury bug stays away, this Defense will be a force.

Skol Vikings!!!

purplehelmut
11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Teddy blowing a certain TD pass early was aggravating. Plus another one he should have had. But he recovered enough for the win. Zero turnovers for the offense was a huge positive as was the 8 of 15 (53%) third down ratio. Five sacks is always fun, especially against so-called running QBs. Got to clean up the penalties, 9 for 60 yards, five of them giving Washington first downs. And where is Patterson? Halfway through and he still can't figure out how to get open? Feels good to win, especially against the Snyders, whom I don't particularly care for- him or his team.

RK.
11-03-2014, 10:53 AM
The bus ride to a game is usually a time for players to compose themselves before hitting the field. Instead, the Redskins were jolted from their pre-game lull and, coach Jay Gruden confirmed running back Silas Redd missed the game due to back spasms.

"I got a stiff neck myself," Gruden added, per The Washington Post. "A little unique way to start the day getting ready for a football game when you're five feet away from driving off a cliff on the highway."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000422240/article/rgiii-thought-he-would-hit-windshield-in-bus-accident

There is a cliff in the Twin Cities???

Suick
11-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Defense is a completely different group. Haven't see this kinda of agressiveness in the last........well FOREVER!

Still not convinced on the 2ndary, but with the front four killin it, it helps.

Did Corduroy give up on that wide open pass or was that just me? Sun in his eyes?

BadlandsVikings
11-03-2014, 11:11 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000422240/article/rgiii-thought-he-would-hit-windshield-in-bus-accident

There is a cliff in the Twin Cities???

I've never seen one, maybe they were about to drive over a man named Cliff

Suick
11-03-2014, 11:22 AM

TeamSoftware
11-03-2014, 11:39 AM
The Vikings need to run the 2 minute offense full time.

--Scott

kingpin9995
11-03-2014, 11:47 AM
They also need to bring back that long haired busy body puke punter . Jeff Locke sucks the big one. That guy is pathetic. What's his average... 37 yards? The guy sucks. I want Kluwe... even with his large agenda...

rockymtdan
11-03-2014, 12:10 PM
:clap:
Nice win, but the title of this thread is bullshit, enough with political correctness

vikesrgreat2
11-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I had the feeling that the Vikings came out rather flat yesterday. Everything from Teddy missing long completions to the penalties to falling behind 10-0 in the first half gave me the sense the Vikings were a "bit off".

The turnover by Munnerlyn, which led to the first 7 points for the Vikings, was in my opinion the turning point of the game. The score was 10-7 at halftime, but the Vikings scored 22 points in the second half to win the game. Remember last year what happened when they would fall behind at halftime. Often, they never came from behind to win. The coaching, defense, and QB play are all SO much better than last year!

During the bye week, I think the Vikings need to work on their offensive line play, and Teddy needs to work on completing the longer passes. I think progress in these areas is needed for the team to win consistently in the second half of the year. At 4-5, the Vikings need to take one game at a time in their efforts to continue to improve. I look forward to a very fun second half of the season! Never say never!

C Mac D
11-04-2014, 11:21 AM
I had the feeling that the Vikings came out rather flat yesterday. Everything from Teddy missing long completions to the penalties to falling behind 10-0 in the first half gave me the sense the Vikings were a "bit off".

The turnover by Munnerlyn, which led to the first 7 points for the Vikings, was in my opinion the turning point of the game. The score was 10-7 at halftime, but the Vikings scored 22 points in the second half to win the game. Remember last year what happened when they would fall behind at halftime. Often, they never came from behind to win. The coaching, defense, and QB play are all SO much better than last year!

During the bye week, I think the Vikings need to work on their offensive line play, and Teddy needs to work on completing the longer passes. I think progress in these areas is needed for the team to win consistently in the second half of the year. At 4-5, the Vikings need to take one game at a time in their efforts to continue to improve. I look forward to a very fun second half of the season! Never say never!

Get used to Teddy missing long completions. That was his knock coming out of college, even though many on this site don't like to admit it. He has a weak arm and no long range accuracy. He's been missing those throws all season.

bleedpurple
11-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Get used to Teddy missing long completions. That was his knock coming out of college, even though many on this site don't like to admit it. He has a weak arm and no long range accuracy. He's been missing those throws all season.

if he had a weak arm, how is he overthrowing guys by a mile?? I think the accuracy and getting on the same page as receives is the bigger issue. not arm strength.

12purplepride28
11-05-2014, 01:17 PM

That was supposed to be satire, which is why I put quotes around it. Guess my joke fell flat :o

C Mac D
11-05-2014, 01:37 PM
if he had a weak arm, how is he overthrowing guys by a mile?? I think the accuracy and getting on the same page as receives is the bigger issue. not arm strength.

Meaning he can chuck it, but has zero control over his long ball. He has underthrown a few as well... but missed most of them.

He's not even averaging 7 ypa, hence having a weak arm.

purplehelmut
11-05-2014, 02:05 PM
That was supposed to be satire, which is why I put quotes around it. Guess my joke fell flat :o

I was hip to it dude. No harm no foul.

kingpin9995
11-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Again you just don't know what you are talking about . Without Peterson teams have decided to take the flats and short stuff away and blitz. They can't do that with Peterson. THey have to stay honest that he can hurt them badly. It has zero to do with a weak arm and everythign to do with their best threat not in the game...

C Mac D
11-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Again you just don't know what you are talking about . Without Peterson teams have decided to take the flats and short stuff away and blitz. They can't do that with Peterson. THey have to stay honest that he can hurt them badly. It has zero to do with a weak arm and everythign to do with their best threat not in the game...

I understand that... but even with him in the game, we only managed 0.2 more YPA last season. Your argument really falls apart when facts are brought into the equation. Get some numbers to back-up your argument and maybe you won't come off as such a petulant child.

kingpin9995
11-06-2014, 09:01 AM
You still don't get it... PONDER...PONDER ....PONDER.... DOG... DOG... DOG....

BadlandsVikings
11-06-2014, 09:03 AM
You still don't get it... PONDER...PONDER ....PONDER.... DOG... DOG... DOG....

Give up arguing with Cmac..you won't win

C Mac D
11-06-2014, 10:32 AM

Hopefully Peterson will start again this season... then we'll all see Bridgewater turn into this playoff caliber QB that kingpin9995 keeps talking about.

Either that, or I'll be proven right. Again.

BadlandsVikings
11-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Hopefully Peterson will start again this season... then we'll all see Bridgewater turn into this playoff caliber QB that kingpin9995 keeps talking about.

The way kingpin thinks, if Peterson does play the Vikings will sneak in as a wildcard and win the super bowl

C Mac D
11-06-2014, 10:51 AM
The way kingpin thinks, if Peterson does play the Vikings will sneak in as a wildcard and win the super bowl

Hey, it's not impossible... it will more likely be because of our defense and running game. I do not think Bridgewater is going to develop into a legit QB this year. He's a long way off.

tarkenton10
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM

self praise stinks

VikingMike
11-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I hate the Redskins, not that "Washington Football Team".

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 01:44 PM

I don't know if that's his argument or not, but it seems pretty obvious that having better players around a young QB makes him play/develop better. That's my argument at least.

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Though not necessarily by by superior arguments.

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Hey, it's not impossible... it will more likely be because of our defense and running game. I do not think Bridgewater is going to develop into a legit QB this year. He's a long way off.

Bridgewater is already a legit QB. He may not be elite or even close to it yet, but he is definitely legitimate. You can see this in the way that he improves each week. Throwing too many picks? He cut that out. Taking too many sacks? He's getting rid of the ball easier. Overthrowing WRs? We will see, but he definitely doesn't lack anything in the mental aspect or his dedication to the game. We've seen that he has the capability to make all the throws, especially the tight ones. I feel very confident with him going forward.

C Mac D
11-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Bridgewater is already a legit QB. He may not be elite or even close to it yet, but he is definitely legitimate. You can see this in the way that he improves each week. Throwing too many picks? He cut that out. Taking too many sacks? He's getting rid of the ball easier. Overthrowing WRs? We will see, but he definitely doesn't lack anything in the mental aspect or his dedication to the game. We've seen that he has the capability to make all the throws, especially the tight ones. I feel very confident with him going forward.

His numbers are worse than Ponder's were last year... was Ponder a legit QB?

tastywaves
11-07-2014, 04:28 PM

I agree that legit might be a bit strong at this point. Promising, feel good about him, I think this guy will make it....sure. But legit implies performance and production to me, which is still TBD.

C Mac D
11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
I agree that legit might be a bit strong at this point. Promising, feel good about him, I think this guy will make it....sure. But legit implies performance and production to me, which is still TBD.

"Promising" and "Feel Good" are definitely more reasonable. I have hope for the kid, but he leaves a lot to be desired at this point. Here's to hoping!

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 06:20 PM

You can see a huge difference in the way they play the game and their mental aspects. He's a rookie QB a few games. He definitely passes the eye test and I can't help but have confidence in him as he's shown the ability to correct his mistakes.

12purplepride28
11-07-2014, 06:24 PM
"Promising" and "Feel Good" are definitely more reasonable. I have hope for the kid, but he leaves a lot to be desired at this point. Here's to hoping!

That's what I mean when I say legitimate. He has all the tools and most importantly the mental aspect of the game. Ponder never had that calm under pressure that Teddy does. That's what I mean by a "legit option at QB".