PDA

View Full Version : The Official Matt Kalil Thread

BadlandsVikings
10-19-2014, 04:59 PM
He needs to be benched or Teddy will get hurt

PInfante97
10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
its over for him. hes a bust. can we just bench him and move on already?

bleedpurple
10-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Let's at least move him to guard and see what happens.. he's no left tackle... LHM

Mark_The_Viking
10-21-2014, 03:45 AM
One thing after another with this O line. I agree that we should move him to left guard before jettisoning the guy, the main problem who would replace him?

HEY
10-21-2014, 05:57 AM
Let's at least move him to guard and see what happens.. he's no left tackle.
He's not powerful enough to be a guard. And he never was an elite road-grader in the running game.

We have seen that he can be an elite left tackle (in his rookie year).

BadlandsVikings
10-21-2014, 08:15 AM
He's in his 3rd year of his 4yr rookie deal. Can't really bench him but might be a good idea not to resign him

John Bonnes
10-21-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't think the question is "Where do you put him?" The question is "How do you replace him?" Is there a good option, especially after all the injuries?
- Swap him and Charlie Johnson (shudder) around?
- Move Loadholt to his spot?
- Are there any veterans out there that can be had?

tastywaves
10-21-2014, 07:48 PM
I don't think the question is "Where do you put him?" The question is "How do you replace him?" Is there a good option, especially after all the injuries?
- Swap him and Charlie Johnson (shudder) around?
- Move Loadholt to his spot?
- Are there any veterans out there that can be had?

Your obviously new around here. Our job is to criticize and identify who sucks, then we point at Spielman for getting us in this jam and suggest that any schmuck off the street would do better.

PInfante97
10-22-2014, 08:03 PM
what do we do at LT in 2015? Cut Kalil? Draft another LT or sign a proven LT

vikesrgreat2
10-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Could there be a possibility that Kalil may be hurt, and we don't know about it?

tarkenton10
10-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Your obviously new around here. Our job is to criticize and identify who sucks, then we point at Spielman for getting us in this jam and suggest that any schmuck off the street would do better.
:rofl: good one

C Mac D
10-24-2014, 10:33 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/picard_clapping.gif

Tad7
10-24-2014, 09:38 PM
On KFAN, Ben Leber suggested taking Kalil out of the starting line up and allowing him to learn the position of right tackle and hope he's ready to start there next season. Then signing a veteran LT.

I'll take his word for it that that could realistically work...but is trying to save the Kalil pick worth losing Loadholt over? Hard to say...although he seems to be nothing special either.

ugh

Could there be a possibility that Kalil may be hurt, and we don't know about it?
Doubt it because he's gotten progressively worse starting last season.

TheAnimal93
10-25-2014, 04:43 AM
Good coaches don't keep bad players around for long. It will be interesting to see how Kalil is dealt with coming up.

vikinggreg
10-25-2014, 10:17 AM
On KFAN, Ben Leber suggested taking Kalil out of the starting line up and allowing him to learn the position of right tackle and hope he's ready to start there next season. Then signing a veteran LT.

I'll take his word for it that that could realistically work...but is trying to save the Kalil pick worth losing Loadholt over? Hard to say...although he seems to be nothing special either.

ugh

Doubt it because he's gotten progressively worse starting last season.You do know he had back problems and knee injury last season

mountainviking
10-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Being injured was last year's excuse. If it is also this year's excuse when is enough enough?

I was also wondering if he might not be an upgrade on Charlie at LG. Perhaps, we should now be rooting for another top five pick to spend on a LT...?

rockymtdan
10-25-2014, 04:16 PM
I believe Zimmer can work his defensive magic with less then elite players so first pick should go OL

I also wonder if the NFL has outgrown Norve's offensive philosophy or do we have another super genius (Chiller) OC that the players just can't sync up with.

PurplePowerPunch
10-25-2014, 11:30 PM
You do know he had back problems and knee injury last season

I wonder if he's still hurt or he just sucks.

jargomcfargo
10-26-2014, 12:33 AM
I wonder if he's still hurt or he just sucks.
Easy answer. He sucks. Another miss by the scouts and Spielman. He was over rated his rookie season because AD had his big season. He was never a pro bowler. He was an alternate. Over rated, just like the rest of the line. Now AD is gone. Kalil gets the blame, but the rest of the line is also over rated.
The continuity of the O line the Vikings have is the weakest part of their team.

PurplePowerPunch
10-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Easy answer. He sucks. Another miss by the scouts and Spielman. He was over rated his rookie season because AD had his big season. He was never a pro bowler. He was an alternate. Over rated, just like the rest of the line. Now AD is gone. Kalil gets the blame, but the rest of the line is also over rated.
The continuity of the O line the Vikings have is the weakest part of their team.

Well said brother!

Webby
10-26-2014, 01:27 PM
He's a bust, unless he has a good game or three. So goes the opinion carousel.

I don't know enough about OL having not played it at this level but I certainly can see he is little better than a revolving door at this point. At least those get stuck sometimes and you can't get through.

PurplePowerPunch
10-26-2014, 07:04 PM
He played his butt off today. I will give him credit when credit is due.

marshallvike
10-27-2014, 01:02 PM

He is not playing up to his skill level this year, but he did play ok yesterday. If he indeed turns into a bust it was a miss by everyone. He was the consensus best non QB in that draft and it was a position of need for us.

kevoncox
10-27-2014, 10:25 PM
He is not playing up to his skill level this year, but he did play ok yesterday. If he indeed turns into a bust it was a miss by everyone. He was the consensus best non QB in that draft and it was a position of need for us.

Wish we could have gotten Tyron Smith. 1 year too late.

jargomcfargo
10-28-2014, 12:12 PM
He was better, but it seemed like every run to the left failed, and he was still beat a couple of times and got away with a big hold once. He didn't give up a sack and that is an improvement. I'm not sure if that is due to who he was playing against or improved play.
He just looks like a guy who is weak, undersized, and slow to me. He doesn't seem powerful enough to run block well, nor does he have fast enough feet to stop the speed rushers. I hope I am wrong but that is what my eyes are seeing!
The line as a unit are a bit of a hot mess right now. But at least the right side of the line can run block.

Minniman
10-28-2014, 08:10 PM
He just looks like a guy who is weak, undersized, and slow to me. He doesn't seem powerful enough to run block well, nor does he have fast enough feet to stop the speed rushers. I hope I am wrong but that is what my eyes are seeing!
Kalil is not the monster he was in his rookie season.

Was he juiced in college, is the line coach partially to blame, or has he just lost it?

tarkenton10
10-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Kalil is not the monster he was in his rookie season.

Was he juiced in college, is the line coach partially to blame, or has he just lost it?

I think you can blame the coaches for a lot of the failures (Frazier era). He is learning a new scheme under Norv so I would give him this year also as an excuse. Next year he will not have one and had better perform or he will be done in Minnesota. think we will have to wait a few years to determine if he is just a bust or if he was not coached well. If he doesn't play well next year he will be traded or released and some other team will take a shot at him. Right now I think the jury is out on the bust/bad coaching theory.

ironbrigade
11-04-2014, 02:14 AM
Last three weeks the entire line had improved although they are not playing as nasty a defensive line as Detroit with these latest teams either. Keep in mind that this is a completely new offense and with the new collective bargaining agreement players aren't practicing nearly as much with the coaching staff as they were. Makes putting these new offensive systems in place a lot harder.

Personally I'm more worried about Patterson than Kalil.

Mark_The_Viking
11-04-2014, 05:10 AM
Last three weeks the entire line had improved although they are not playing as nasty a defensive line as Detroit with these latest teams either. Keep in mind that this is a completely new offense and with the new collective bargaining agreement players aren't practicing nearly as much with the coaching staff as they were. Makes putting these new offensive systems in place a lot harder.

Personally I'm more worried about Patterson than Kalil.

Not worried about Patterson, he'll come good he has the raw talent.

Matt looked lost on Sunday to the point where he looked like the best thing in the world was that he would get subbed off. He looked like he was spending so much time trying to push off on the attacker he couldn't get a lock on.

I hope they can coach him up but he looks like he is heading to bustville

BadlandsVikings
11-17-2014, 07:41 AM
After this year he needs to apply at McDonalds, any QB the Vikings have is going to get hurt with him playing

purplehelmut
11-17-2014, 09:35 AM
I would call him a turnstile, but even a turnstile provides a bit of resistance.

BadlandsVikings
11-17-2014, 09:40 AM
I haven't seen him play much, but is his brother any good at center?

vikesrgreat2
11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
After this year he needs to apply at McDonalds, any QB the Vikings have is going to get hurt with him playing

Do we have any OT talent on the roster that we could look at if Kalil is struggling so badly? Perhaps even a rookie could be an upgrade over Kalil at this point...:confused:

tarkenton10
11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
I haven't seen him play much, but is his brother any good at center?

His brother is a great center, I thought he retired last year though, I may be wrong.

Mark_The_Viking
11-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Do we have any OT talent on the roster that we could look at if Kalil is struggling so badly? Perhaps even a rookie could be an upgrade over Kalil at this point...:confused:

I watched he game last night and really got a good look at Matt Kalil. His footwork is shoddy to say the least, he made a below par Jared Allen look like a pro bowler. He was slow to get up and into position and then used too much of just his hands and wasn't backing it up with his body. Every time JA got into him he could just shove him aside. I think this is coachable but for a 1st rounder I don't think this is acceptable.

There has to be a FA out there somewhere who would be an upgrade if we don't have any talent at home.

tastywaves
11-17-2014, 12:12 PM
They really should look at benching Kalil.

tarkenton10
11-17-2014, 12:44 PM
He doesn't look like he is healthy to me.

BadlandsVikings
12-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Is he going to get a 4th year or will he be working the drive-thru with Ponder?

Marrdro
01-28-2015, 08:00 AM
I've been pretty vocal the last 2 years or so about how much I dislike Kalil and our OL coaching staff.

But that changed this year because of the following:

Coach - You don't run that many backups out there and get the production we did this year from our OLmen without some quality coaching.

Could they have played better? SURE. But lets not forget, the one position on the field that relies on playing together over time to play your best is the OL.

Kalil - At first I just didn't like the guy. Then I increased my dislike when I started seeing him go down/get injured. Couple that with some of the rumors that were being bantered about that he was a alcoholic or addicted to pain killers.

In the end, I think I came to grips with the possible reality that the kid was hurt and the fallout from being hurt was he lost weight, muscle mass and strength from those injuries and you just don't add the weight back over night.

It takes time to get that backup while trying to increase your strength in that process.

Over the last 5 or 6 games we started to see him getting back to NFL form and I think one more year of offseason workouts will have him back to were he needs to be.

Long story short, I have no concerns over Kalil anymore and like Davidson, I've got off both of their cases (calling for their heads) and have become a staunch advocate for both.

tarkenton10
01-28-2015, 09:18 AM
I've been pretty vocal the last 2 years or so about how much I dislike Kalil and our OL coaching staff.

But that changed this year because of the following:

Coach - You don't run that many backups out there and get the production we did this year from our OLmen without some quality coaching.

Could they have played better? SURE. But lets not forget, the one position on the field that relies on playing together over time to play your best is the OL.

Kalil - At first I just didn't like the guy. Then I increased my dislike when I started seeing him go down/get injured. Couple that with some of the rumors that were being bantered about that he was a alcoholic or addicted to pain killers.

In the end, I think I came to grips with the possible reality that the kid was hurt and the fallout from being hurt was he lost weight, muscle mass and strength from those injuries and you just don't add the weight back over night.

It takes time to get that backup while trying to increase your strength in that process.

Over the last 5 or 6 games we started to see him getting back to NFL form and I think one more year of offseason workouts will have him back to were he needs to be.

Long story short, I have no concerns over Kalil anymore and like Davidson, I've got off both of their cases (calling for their heads) and have become a staunch advocate for both.

My best case scenario for the Oline is to draft Scherff or Peat in the first round. We then play him at RG or RT. Which means we cut Johnson and move Loadholdt to guard if we keep Scherff at tackle. This gives us some flexibility at Oline. If Kalil comes back and plays like his rookie year we sign him and leave Scherff at RT. If he doesn't play well we get rid of him and hopefully Scherff plays well enough to move him to LT. We also pick up Iupati in FA and plug him in at LG. Our Oline would be Kalil, Iupati, Sullivan, Loadholdt, Scherff, pretty scary. You can switch Loadholdt and Scherff also.

Second scenario is we put Scherff at LG, and pick up Iupati to shore up our guard play. If Kalil plays bad plug Scherff in there.

Getting those two players will make our Oline very formidable and very flexible.

marshallvike
01-28-2015, 10:05 AM
My best case scenario for the Oline is to draft Scherff or Peat in the first round. We then play him at RG or RT. Which means we cut Johnson and move Loadholdt to guard if we keep Scherff at tackle. This gives us some flexibility at Oline. If Kalil comes back and plays like his rookie year we sign him and leave Scherff at RT. If he doesn't play well we get rid of him and hopefully Scherff plays well enough to move him to LT. We also pick up Iupati in FA and plug him in at LG. Our Oline would be Kalil, Iupati, Sullivan, Loadholdt, Scherff, pretty scary. You can switch Loadholdt and Scherff also.

Second scenario is we put Scherff at LG, and pick up Iupati to shore up our guard play. If Kalil plays bad plug Scherff in there.

Getting those two players will make our Oline very formidable and very flexible.

Tark10. What happened to Fusco in your scenario?

tarkenton10
01-28-2015, 12:30 PM
If we get Iupati and Scherff he would be IMHO fighting with Loadholdt for the RG position. I think Scherff is a better tackle than Loadholdt but who knows what is the best lineup. Anyway I think there are two positions open if we acquire Iupati and three players to fill them. My best guess are the five best linemen given this scenario is Kalil, Iupati, Sullivan, Loadholdt and Scherff. That leaves Fusco as the first man off the bench.

Marrdro
01-29-2015, 07:15 AM
As I said in the other thread, I highly doubt that Scherff (or the number two OT) gets to us at 11 old friend.

If we get Iupati and Scherff he would be IMHO fighting with Loadholdt for the RG position. I think Scherff is a better tackle than Loadholdt but who knows what is the best lineup. Anyway I think there are two positions open if we acquire Iupati and three players to fill them. My best guess are the five best linemen given this scenario is Kalil, Iupati, Sullivan, Loadholdt and Scherff. That leaves Fusco as the first man off the bench.

tarkenton10
01-29-2015, 08:35 AM
As I said in the other thread, I highly doubt that Scherff (or the number two OT) gets to us at 11 old friend.

If Scherff and Peat are gone I would trade down and grab Clemmings out of Pitt. Some have Clemmings ahead of Peat but I like Peat better and Andrus Peat is two years younger than Clemmings who is a RS. If Clemmings is the second tackle off the board then that is all the better for us.