PDA

View Full Version : Zimmer can't change Vikings culture overnight

Purp1eOne
10-14-2014, 07:35 AM
1500 ESPN @1500ESPN (https://twitter.com/1500ESPN) · 14h 14 hours ago (https://twitter.com/1500ESPN/status/521783438181801984) Mackey: Mike Zimmer can't change Vikings culture overnight #Vikings (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vikings?src=hash) (via the 1500 ESPN SportsWire) http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Mackey_Mike_Zimmer_cant_change_Vikings_culture_overnight101314 … (http://t.co/f3uH4XWzX0)

--------

These guys need to toughen up mentally, when things are down they don't have that fire. Still a young team mixed in with a bunch of guys used to losing.

drakkar
10-14-2014, 10:24 AM
not playing with a full deck of cards isn't helping him either..

Suick
10-14-2014, 07:54 PM
not playing with a full deck of cards isn't helping him either..

His rant about fines smacks of Greg Schiano

MaxVike
10-14-2014, 08:09 PM
His rant about fines smacks of Greg Schiano

hmmmmm, I'm certainly not worried about Zimm being the next Schiano.

I must say I agree with Zimm…Practice Squad players shouldn't be late for ANYTHING, ever.

The differentiator will be Zimmer's ability to coach vs Schiano. Schiano is a bully, Zimmer is an in your face, open, honest, direct…coach. We've already seen improved play from several players on the defensive side of the ball. He has a lot to fix…I, for one, would certainly rather have Zimmer than most (if not all) first or second year Head Coaches.

EricTheViking
10-15-2014, 01:05 AM
From the article:

"3.) Expectations must be lowered from where they were before the season. I said 9-7 before the season, and that was before a cavalcade of injuries and suspensions - and 9-7 was probably too optimistic anyway. When you take Adrian Peterson, Kyle Rudolph, Brandon Fusco, Chad Greenway, Jerome Simpson, Matt Cassel and others away from an already-mediocre Vikings team, it shouldn't be surprising to see them sputter. If they smell like a five-win team, it's probably because they are a five-win team."

Damn. 5 - 11 is going to make a long miserable season. I've never been a fair weather fan but watching these losing years has sure gotten tiring. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't be doing something else, on Sundays, instead of watching my team bitterly disappoint me yet again. . .

ironbrigade
10-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Keep in mind that while Zimmer is the head coach he's a defense guy. He's pretty much handed the offense to Norv Turner and under him is offensive line coach Jeff Davison. Davison was our offensive line coach when Peterson rushed for 2,000 yards. So he knows blocking. I can't believe that this offensive line in 24 months forgot how to block. I think what we are seeing is a diconnect between Turner and Davidson. Remember our offense is completely new so the offensive line is being asked to do new things. It will take time but I fully expect the line to greatly improve and that includes Kahlil.

tarkenton10
10-15-2014, 07:34 AM
hmmmmm, I'm certainly not worried about Zimm being the next Schiano.

I must say I agree with Zimm…Practice Squad players shouldn't be late for ANYTHING, ever.

The differentiator will be Zimmer's ability to coach vs Schiano. Schiano is a bully, Zimmer is an in your face, open, honest, direct…coach. We've already seen improved play from several players on the defensive side of the ball. He has a lot to fix…I, for one, would certainly rather have Zimmer than most (if not all) first or second year Head Coaches.

A lot of these players will not be on his team in three years, give him time and he will build a winner.

TheAnimal93
10-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Zimmer has the defense playing better this year by a landslide. The offense has not yet hit their stride, if they ever do, that is. There are so many positions to address In the offseason. If the line does not improve markedly, that would be a great place to start. WR, RB, and the TE position could use upgrades/depth. I hope that once Zim settles in some more he turns that around as well.

Suick
10-15-2014, 11:33 AM
A lot of these players will not be on his team in three years, give him time and he will build a winner.

That's just it. It's a win now league. Ask the Raiders

kingpin9995
10-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Zimmer has the defense playing better this year by a landslide. The offense has not yet hit their stride, if they ever do, that is. There are so many positions to address In the offseason. If the line does not improve markedly, that would be a great place to start. WR, RB, and the TE position could use upgrades/depth. I hope that once Zim settles in some more he turns that around as well.

Fer get about it..... Tell me where this scoring is suppose to come from? Peterson hid this very mediocre o lines weakness. It's now exposed for what it is.. A rookie qb with no running game because the defense has been set now by opposing teams. Stack the line, blitz and play man to man against receivers that just are not very good. Jennings overrated and definitely not a number one. Patterson raw as raw can be in route running and a decoy. No soft Rudolph and no go to guy on third down. It will be ugly again this week against a very good front four in Buffalo. This offense may break a record for least points scored in a year. Also in the red zone when they ever get there a rook is going to struggle as the field shrinks and things happen very quickly. Also this defense in the past three weeks can't buy a turnover . No picks, no fumbles and in the special teams no big plays and a punter that has stunk two weeks in a row now. This team won't win 5 games.... SKOL VIKINGS.

C Mac D
10-15-2014, 01:12 PM

That sorta contradicts what you said about Spielman being a good GM...

idahovikefan7
10-15-2014, 06:50 PM
So far I'm very pleased with Zimmer and what he's brought to the entire organization. I didn't expect him to turn the team around overnight. You can tell the man means business, and I do believe the players respect him. Sometimes "tough love" is the only cure, and I like how Zimmer has handled things so far.

This is a process that will take a couple years to build up. Zimmer will be a very great NFL head coach. He has a very young squad to work with, give him the time.

thorshammer
10-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Keep in mind that while Zimmer is the head coach he's a defense guy. He's pretty much handed the offense to Norv Turner and under him is offensive line coach Jeff Davison. Davison was our offensive line coach when Peterson rushed for 2,000 yards. So he knows blocking. I can't believe that this offensive line in 24 months forgot how to block. I think what we are seeing is a diconnect between Turner and Davidson. Remember our offense is completely new so the offensive line is being asked to do new things. It will take time but I fully expect the line to greatly improve and that includes Kahlil.
Good post. They are being asked to do different things .... that always takes time to gel. I believe we will see improvement each game week over week.

Purp1eOne
10-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Good post. They are being asked to do different things .... that always takes time to gel. I believe we will see improvement each game week over week.

I think for both tackles Kalil and Loadholt when you are blocking the man in front of you straight up that really doesn't change from tykes on up. These guys are just getting beat, Loadholt has never been good with speed and Kalil looks like its all in his head.

Never thought the line has been good with Davidson here. AD crushed it that year by making great effort on his own. I think there is talent on the Oline but what ever they are doing to coach them is not working. This group has been together for 2+ years now and they are the problem on offense.

tastywaves
10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
I think for both tackles Kalil and Loadholt when you are blocking the man in front of you straight up that really doesn't change from tykes on up. These guys are just getting beat, Loadholt has never been good with speed and Kalil looks like its all in his head.

Never thought the line has been good with Davidson here. AD crushed it that year by making great effort on his own. I think there is talent on the Oline but what ever they are doing to coach them is not working. This group has been together for 2+ years now and they are the problem on offense.

I think that is pretty much what Zimmer said as well.