PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why is PPO so dead lately?

EricTheViking
10-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Any thoughts? I've been around here a lot longer than most would think. I was a lurker for a long time and it's only been recently that I've started posting much more often. A lot of you guys are veterans with several thousand posts so I know you can tell me much more about how it used to be.
I enjoy this site and think its really well put together (thanks Webby!) but wonder why there isn't much going on here lately. It seems like there are only about 10 or so people who are commenting these days. There are so many former regulars who no longer come around.
For me there is a fine line between having too few and too many comments. I'm not a member of the Vikings Message Board, yet, but it seems popular and there is a thread there that has over 300 replies (on Adrian Peterson smoking weed, go figure) and another one (Vikings - Packers thread) that has 600+ replies. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't have the time to read through that many comments.
As I said I like it here and especially take advantage of the chatroom option. Its fun to celebrate, or commiserate, the game as it progresses, play by play. Anyway, for now, slow or not, we have our own little club here and we will keep it going.

BadlandsVikings
10-11-2014, 07:23 AM
There are a few reasons but I believe there is one big one. [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0,

1 Peoples lives and schedules change and it gives them less time to be here.

]2 In the past there has been a lot of bickering and arguing that has made people butt hurt and chased some away

]3 The number one reason is social media. Places like bleacher report, espn, vikings.com (http://vikings.com) and so on and so forth direct you to their sites and get them their traffic. PPOs facebook page doesn't direct you here. It just sends you directly to a link to an article. Zeus needs to make people want come here and there needs to be incentive for people to want to come here. Forum sites aren't the place to be but there's no reason why the site can't get back to when there were 500 people on at once during draft day

singersp
10-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Zeus needs to make people want come here and there needs to be incentive for people to want to come here. Forum sites aren't the place to be but there's no reason why the site can't get back to when there were 500 people on at once during draft day

Isn't he too busy with his VWO group?

singersp
10-11-2014, 09:30 AM
The discouraging thin here, besides Erik doing much less posting than he should & too much lurking :) ) is that many times when I tried to post, I'd get taken to another page which would require me to "type in the letters shown".

rockymtdan
10-11-2014, 11:02 AM
As a long time lurker I had little need to post because someone would beat me to it and my input would just be redundant. I prefer a lower traffic sit because instead of strange random snipping you know the personality of your fellow posters. I sure don't want everyone to agree, that would just be more red meat to bolster your own opinion. Living in a bubble does not promote any kind of growth. For what ever reason we are all Viking fans and that is why we seek the company we do. Skol

EricTheViking
10-11-2014, 02:00 PM
There are a few reasons but I believe there is one big one. [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0,

1 Peoples lives and schedules change and it gives them less time to be here.

]2 In the past there has been a lot of bickering and arguing that has made people butt hurt and chased some away

]3 The number one reason is social media. Places like bleacher report, espn, vikings.com (http://vikings.com) and so on and so forth direct you to their sites and get them their traffic. PPOs facebook page doesn't direct you here. It just sends you directly to a link to an article. Zeus needs to make people want come here and there needs to be incentive for people to want to come here. Forum sites aren't the place to be but there's no reason why the site can't get back to when there were 500 people on at once during draft day

Good points. I certainly understand being too busy to come on here as much. And, the bickering, especially when folks get it all wrapped up in a contentious political discussion, can get tiresome. As much as possible I try and stay out of those discussions.

The discouraging thin here, besides Erik doing much less posting than he should & too much lurking :) ) is that many times when I tried to post, I'd get taken to another page which would require me to "type in the letters shown".

Does that still happen to you? I've never had to type in a "captcha" to post.

As a long time lurker I had little need to post because someone would beat me to it and my input would just be redundant. I prefer a lower traffic sit because instead of strange random snipping you know the personality of your fellow posters. I sure don't want everyone to agree, that would just be more red meat to bolster your own opinion. Living in a bubble does not promote any kind of growth. For what ever reason we are all Viking fans and that is why we seek the company we do. Skol

I sometimes don't post for that same reason. Sometimes someone has the same thoughts as you and comments first. Anyway, at least there are enough of you fine folks here to keep everything interesting. I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Hope springs eternal!

Note: I actually thought I was posting in the Clubhouse, where this thread probably should be, and not here in the Vikings Fan Forum.

EricTheViking
10-11-2014, 02:03 PM

WTF??? I just stated how I never had to type in a captcha, never ever. And just now, for my above comment, I had to. And they are hard to read. It took me three times to get it right. Ugh. What a weird coincidence.

Minniman
10-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Isn't he too busy with his VWO group?

Zeus is Syd Davy?

QuadoCox
10-11-2014, 03:29 PM
The truth is... the Vikings aren't playing well. When we are one of the top teams in the league, people are more excited and post more topics. Fans want to be happy, now wade deep in negative thoughts and rants. Wait and see, if we turn it around in the next two seasons...the posters will come.

Traveling_Vike
10-11-2014, 03:53 PM
The "captcha" thing only comes up if you take longer than a certain amount of time to type your comment. You are on the verge of being logged out of the system because typing a comment isn't recognized as activity on the site.

singersp
10-11-2014, 10:50 PM
WTF??? I just stated how I never had to type in a captcha, never ever. And just now, for my above comment, I had to. And they are hard to read. It took me three times to get it right. Ugh. What a weird coincidence.

See! It's contagious and yes several times the letters were very hard to decipher & it had to be done multiple times.

PurplePowerPunch
10-12-2014, 12:08 PM
I think when the website got an upgrade, a lot of users got pretty confused I think. Skol!

TheAnimal93
10-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Its mostly priority. When PPO was in the heyday so to speak, the Vikings were fielding good teams and winning football games. How excited is anyone to come to any forum and comment on how much the QB stinks when there are already 500 threads saying the same thing? And there are not too many polarizing players on the team. AP and Allen were the only notables and compared to Moss, Randle, and CC its not even close, as in being thread worthy. I remember some knock-down drag outs over Randy with fans from other teams, mainly GB. And also having more opposing fans here on the site made for more interesting conversations. So, soon as Teddy Two Gloves turns the ship around, the folks will return.

purplehelmut
10-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Boils down to the Vikings not being a contender for a long time except for the lightning in a bottle year 2009. And that ended very badly. The Vikings are simply a subpar team and organization at this point. Nothing to get people excited about. The dudes here are the real hardcore fans, which is fine with me.

Suick
10-12-2014, 06:03 PM
1. Vikings suck
2. No Maddro
3. Vikings suck

raptorman
10-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I believe it has more to do with how the team is doing than anything else. I know when they lose I really don't want to talk to many people. Plus, sometimes people just get bored with a board. After a while you get the same people posting the same crap all the time and it gets boring. That's why I belong to 3 Viking, 3 Packer and 1 Bear forum. I can get different crap about my team from 7 different sources.

Purple Floyd
10-12-2014, 09:19 PM
The discouraging thin here, besides Erik doing much less posting than he should & too much lurking :) ) is that many times when I tried to post, I'd get taken to another page which would require me to "type in the letters shown".This

First time back in forever and on a one word reply that took 2 seconds

One more stepPlease complete the security check to access purplepride.org
Refresh (http://forums.purplepride.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=1112674#) Announce (http://forums.purplepride.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=1112674#) Info (http://forums.purplepride.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=1112674#)
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_Vuty7-VeR_AcG1insA2p12Os3GR2BFs3k5UleAWXsJ34kT1RVHmhI0CK2TOQdLo8wHPEn5OHbv6Mohn45RZup7UM_iWXgSE2uEOsDw4MQ4uQGj5bIPbL-UmdjafrnDhlQztsbFdcfHyhFXR5hW57z5uMuAowNZnejlEcEIyTYlcDpV_xHDyCt-eBU6kzWpbOxo-Cj9Nr&th=,8bApk1a4AAwfoLZ4Kajf_At1xPAAAAAfoAAAADXYAnZIXIIdWib_Nc5nqY4jEIHl2BOVzlsd9HjhanE9nSS7UpRVzVltJ8rUltDyLSbeJ11Q1m4cCgutToLyBIK8avtkCCuwuNWCaZ6HXmOrHj0D8Ks7_DYbicWTnmi55E0p2yq0iYFnI48R-PfZylvglJgSlc4aifnFfVUMCHy9_XKgtd6UWNooGfaeDTgLbnM2QApZ-zRwFx2jfh8eEYS7geW_h3oAGnST7ZuGqVSTDPhSYc4O0YhLkgWla364kw2yUAlzHHT8PDaqzDSvo_2BXnlkY45xBl3PBdyiqQFKkh_ddDYE3SCAzw3TFmu0-1vbNRupOuGmsSFUyWbs--ppe4RZKHCNe1ANO1TIv-rgF5mDN6Wc7awiyLVHHNHgAdt9j0imNJDCbt6lhc5a3GsWHinYvyviU5yBFlxFaxxotsgyWpExEbFay4TFkvntA93RdrM7h3t1w5wLsY56BRI-UrgHJJl-FFSf_qkLFY42KUzqIHWll_YkSMzK5yssQba_gUlKn9Midff9SxvfcC06fCEDSOTU4HyIDIq6P-meWxWzPdwxODLM5egp872FabEHH4hCNZ39NQCfpqEY0kc9tlT2RsY2IJA9D8r5Csc3tc5aGQIrfDs7GDHCA7B9JvV4IJ2Y807EwaBRc14APnPYiwPlpTannY9SmJzHFHyAtEcr9QsGI8qF-UcWx0r703T7Y2o_DCTqw5_3Zu9AkOkvQnragoyCJeSz8Qnga59Sk5z4qS79rtdxllc598Kb34bKzDlY-gAgjQQFbI9zyidLHanbZwdinafkVTHWnS1x1VXD660zqkXETCFNA_3DlwQdpx-E0J4GJFQ

Enter above textLeave a message for the site owner? (100 characters left)

EricTheViking
10-12-2014, 09:59 PM
I get the point on how winning feels good and when you have a good team folks are more likely to come around but, the Vikings Message Board is swarming with people. Their Vikings - Lions gameday thread has over 400 replies. But, having said that, and echoing a point I made in the original post, that is far too many for me to even begin to wade through.
Despite my original concern I have to say there are just enough people hanging around here to keep it interesting without being too crowded. So, all in all, things are still pretty good.

BadlandsVikings
10-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Zeus is Syd Davy?

lol not even close....but webby is Bono and bono is webby

Purp1eOne
10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
that captcha thing is very annoying and getting logged out for inactivity is a pain as well. Just not very user friendly.

Marrdro
12-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I pay a few visits, but this site was getting slow when I started posting in other mediums.

Still has some of the best people to discuss football with, though. Its why I still pop in every once in a while.

And by the by......THE VIKINGS DON'T SUCK. :)

1. Vikings suck
2. No Maddro
3. Vikings suck

Marrdro
12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Its mostly priority. When PPO was in the heyday so to speak, the Vikings were fielding good teams and winning football games. How excited is anyone to come to any forum and comment on how much the QB stinks when there are already 500 threads saying the same thing? And there are not too many polarizing players on the team. AP and Allen were the only notables and compared to Moss, Randle, and CC its not even close, as in being thread worthy. I remember some knock-down drag outs over Randy with fans from other teams, mainly GB. And also having more opposing fans here on the site made for more interesting conversations. So, soon as Teddy Two Gloves turns the ship around, the folks will return.

Its called Facebook. The main site I spew most of my drivel on has 17,500+ members. I'm in a few others that are over 1,000.

All are Vikings related and constantly busy regardless of our record.

Marrdro
12-12-2014, 12:29 PM
The "captcha" thing only comes up if you take longer than a certain amount of time to type your comment. You are on the verge of being logged out of the system because typing a comment isn't recognized as activity on the site.

I've made 3 posts, its came up every time.

TheAnimal93
12-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Its called Facebook. The main site I spew most of my drivel on has 17,500+ members. I'm in a few others that are over 1,000.

All are Vikings related and constantly busy regardless of our record.

Hey Marrdro,
that's why I don't see anyone. Facebook. Fuck a bunch of FB.

purplehelmut
12-12-2014, 02:37 PM
My thoughts exactly. Screw Facebook. I don't want mixed in with 17,500 sheeple who buy into that crap. They are spying on you! I like our nice tight knit community, although Marr and some of the other old guard need to come back around.

Minniman
12-12-2014, 06:20 PM
My thoughts exactly. Screw Facebook. I don't want mixed in with 17,500 sheeple who buy into that crap. They are spying on you! I like our nice tight knit community, although Marr and some of the other old guard need to come back around.

I dislike Facebook as well.

VikesfaninWis
12-13-2014, 12:18 PM
For me, it's because back in the day I didn't have kids and now I have two boys. Much less time to posts on a message board when you work full time and have to attend to a 3yo and a 4 month old. I still enjoy it on here, but it's nothing like it was 5 years ago.

VikesfaninWis
12-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I dislike Facebook as well.

Same here. If I have the shits, I don't need to post it on a social media website when I can just tell the people in the morning when I get to work. Nobody wants to hear that you puked, shit, or your kids are sick.

TheAnimal93
12-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Same here. If I have the shits, I don't need to post it on a social media website when I can just tell the people in the morning when I get to work. Nobody wants to hear that you puked, shit, or your kids are sick.

And if you do post that you are sick, they will try to sell you Imodium, some diapers, or cold medicine. Or a fb coupon for a doctor visit. Most overrated site on the web,

MaxVike
12-13-2014, 09:08 PM
I pay a few visits, but this site was getting slow when I started posting in other mediums.

Still has some of the best people to discuss football with, though. Its why I still pop in every once in a while.

And by the by...…THE VIKINGS DON'T SUCK. :)

So, with the assumption that you will see this Marr.

I was attracted to this site years ago because my perception was this was a destination removed from the bullshit sophomoric snipes typical of virtually any mass Fan site. It was, for the most part.and, I'd even tell my Eagle fan friends (we Vikings fans are a step above) about the website. Now, sorry Webby (and, thank you, by the way), it's just not what it was. I look at several fan bases, Bills, Steelers, friggin Cowboys and Eagles, Patriots, Raiders (yes, Raiders) and wonder why we have such negativity.

Yes, I'm sure 90% of the criticizers could do a better job managing the cap, the Draft, and, the Roster…that Spielman (are you fucking kidding me?), but, I love the direction our Team is going.

Marrdro
12-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Hey Marrdro,
that's why I don't see anyone. Facebook. Fuck a bunch of FB.
It can be a pain at times but if your looking for a discussion, you can always find one.

Marrdro
12-15-2014, 01:19 PM
So, with the assumption that you will see this Marr.

I was attracted to this site years ago because my perception was this was a destination removed from the bullshit sophomoric snipes typical of virtually any mass Fan site. It was, for the most part.and, I'd even tell my Eagle fan friends (we Vikings fans are a step above) about the website. Now, sorry Webby (and, thank you, by the way), it's just not what it was. I look at several fan bases, Bills, Steelers, friggin Cowboys and Eagles, Patriots, Raiders (yes, Raiders) and wonder why we have such negativity.

Yes, I'm sure 90% of the criticizers could do a better job managing the cap, the Draft, and, the Roster…that Spielman (are you fucking kidding me?), but, I love the direction our Team is going.

I think the negativity is a direct spin off from fans that have alot of passion that have gone through some very trying ordeals with respect to the team and a few players.

In the end, I think it will all even out in the end.

tarkenton10
12-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Cmac D scared everyone away with his negative comments, he is the reason for all the people not wanting to be here. Let's get the pitch forks and torches!!!! BAWWAAAAAHHAAAA!!!!

C Mac D
12-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Cmac D scared everyone away with his negative comments, he is the reason for all the people not wanting to be here. Let's get the pitch forks and torches!!!! BAWWAAAAAHHAAAA!!!!

Kingpin9995 stops posting, then Marrdro comes back? I'm seeing a correlation.

tarkenton10
12-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Let's get the pitch forks anyway. We haven't had a good town gathering in a while, it is for a good purpose!

BadlandsVikings
12-18-2014, 08:14 AM

Webby is Bono
Marrdro is kingpin
Santa clause isn't real

Marrdro
12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Webby is Bono
Marrdro is kingpin
Santa clause isn't real
Who the heck is Kingpin?

Marrdro
12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Let's get the pitch forks anyway. We haven't had a good town gathering in a while, it is for a good purpose!

LOL, you always could crack me up old friend. :)

tarkenton10
12-18-2014, 12:58 PM
LOL, you always could crack me up old friend. :)

Good to have you back, old friend!!

Caine
12-22-2014, 07:30 PM
For me, it was not having Direct TV and being able to watch the Vikings. Unlike Marrdro, I was never able to make things up :hump:.

And, as stated before, the Vikings haven't been doing well. There are only so many "This team sucks" posts you can make before it drains you. It's MUCH easier to post when a team is doing well.

That said, from the little bit I've been able to watch this season (The Vikings aren't on cable here in Charleston, SC...yup, moved out of WI finally), the team has some solid potential. Teddy looks like he's coming along. But that Defense....

And, back in the day, I came here to roast Packtards with Del Rio. Now Del is gone and the Packtards are nowhere to be found...probably because their team is winning...

Caine

vikinggreg
12-23-2014, 09:01 AM
For me, it was not having Direct TV and being able to watch the Vikings. Unlike Marrdro, I was never able to make things up :hump:.

And, as stated before, the Vikings haven't been doing well. There are only so many "This team sucks" posts you can make before it drains you. It's MUCH easier to post when a team is doing well.

That said, from the little bit I've been able to watch this season (The Vikings aren't on cable here in Charleston, SC...yup, moved out of WI finally), the team has some solid potential. Teddy looks like he's coming along. But that Defense....

And, back in the day, I came here to roast Packtards with Del Rio. Now Del is gone and the Packtards are nowhere to be found...probably because their team is winning...

Caine

Great to hear from you and nice to see you have out some distance between yourself and the land of Packtards

VikingMike
12-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Caine

Blast from the past! Good times.

RK.
12-23-2014, 04:22 PM
I choose to believe that its not that the forum is so dead, its just that the people that post here are so intelligent that it is intimidating to the many that just read the forums. I think they just find themselves thinking "Gosh I wish I had said that". Or, "Gosh I will never be as smart about football as these people are". Yeah, thats the ticket.

jessejames09
12-23-2014, 07:01 PM
...I love lamp?

BadlandsVikings
12-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Blast from the past! Good times.

I miss morning story time

ThorSPL
12-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Here's another blast from the past for you...

For me, the main reason I haven't posted as much is simply life. After finishing grad school, I took a position at a medical center that keeps me extremely busy. That, plus having our first baby boy a year ago, has really cut in to my "free" time. My wife is in her last year of residency before we move back to Owatonna, so I'll probably be more active at that point.

Good to see some of you old faces still on here!

Marrdro
01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
LOL, I have missed our "Discussions" old friend. Good to see your around.

And you know I don't make things up. I just try to come up with something new to talk about instead of just spewing forth the same old drivel. :haha:

By the way, I still have you on the top of the "Gotta meet, suds some beers and talk ball" spreadsheet.

Caine

Marrdro
01-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Another one I'm glad to see trons from. Great to hear things are working out old friend.

Here's another blast from the past for you...

For me, the main reason I haven't posted as much is simply life. After finishing grad school, I took a position at a medical center that keeps me extremely busy. That, plus having our first baby boy a year ago, has really cut in to my "free" time. My wife is in her last year of residency before we move back to Owatonna, so I'll probably be more active at that point.

Good to see some of you old faces still on here!

Marrdro
01-28-2015, 08:14 AM
LOL, we are all just yutz's with a computer, access to the internet and a deep seeded desire to talk about the team we love.

Anyone who worries about posting because their post might not be up to standards needs to not worry. Post away, one of us will be happy to discuss with you regardless of your knowledge of the game.

I for one learn something new every day that I visit sites like this.

I choose to believe that its not that the forum is so dead, its just that the people that post here are so intelligent that it is intimidating to the many that just read the forums. I think they just find themselves thinking "Gosh I wish I had said that". Or, "Gosh I will never be as smart about football as these people are". Yeah, thats the ticket.

midgensa
01-28-2015, 09:08 AM
I think the biggest thing is the change in Internet access for everyone. When you had to sit at a computer to get things done then visiting here was a great way to kill a little time and share some discussions about a team we are all passionate about.

Now that everyone has the Internet on their phone and tablet and fewer and fewer people actually sit at a keyboard ... all forum type sites have seen a drastic drop off in clicks. Just too tough to deal with reading it on a phone and then trying to type with a phone keyboard. People would rather read a couple comments about it on Facebook/Twitter and move on.

I miss the regular posting on this site, but even I must admit there are weeks where I do not sit at a real computer and during those weeks I do not really visit the site at all.

Gift
02-02-2015, 12:44 PM
I always found the community to be very judgmental and unless you agreed with whatever the current "group think" may be, you would be ganged up on and berated.

so by "Badland Vikings" list: the butthurt one