PDA

View Full Version : Captain Munnerlyn is a screen door

BadlandsVikings
10-03-2014, 07:42 AM
I was under the impression that he was supposed to be good, but he keeps getting burned. Whatever he's getting paid is too much

purplehelmut
10-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I agree, he did not look very good at all. Then again our entire secondary is still below average. Smith might be able to play but so far no one else has stepped up.

tarkenton10
10-03-2014, 09:46 AM
The Captain had a bad game but he is extremely better than any DB we had last year. He actually has had a good season, he had one bad game and you want to get rid of him? Who are you going to replace him with on our roster? His play on the outside is pretty good, how often did you hear the Atlanta Wrs name last week? The reason we brought him in was to play the slot, we actually got a bargain because we are paying him nickel money for a starting CB.

The sky isn't falling because of one bad game. If you take Ponder out of the equation and add Bridgewater, you would have found a very competitive game IMO.

Minniman
10-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I was under the impression that he was supposed to be good, but he keeps getting burned. Whatever he's getting paid is too much
Munnerlyn signed a three-year, $14.25 million contract.

I was wary of this signing, as Munnerlyn had been a good nickelback but with no reputation as a shut down corner. He is good at the short game, but he has trouble in deep coverage. I am hoping he will get better as he adapts to this system, but he is being paid a lot for a nickel guy.

tarkenton10
10-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I agree, he did not look very good at all. Then again our entire secondary is still below average. Smith might be able to play but so far no one else has stepped up.

That is not true, Harrison Smith is playing at a pro bowl level IMO. Rhoades is playing at a high level and would start for just about every team in the league. The Captain is an excellent nickel and a good out side guy in a pinch. We are one CB away from having a very good secondary, if we draft a shut down corner next year, teams are going to find it very hard to throw on us. I like Exum's skillset and athleticism, I think next year he will play and our secondary is going to be even more formidable.

We were 32nd in the league in total D, we were 3st in PA, and 32nd in third down efficiency last year. I will bet anyone we will be in the top half of the league in all those categories by the end of the year. We are getting better and more talented every year, if we have another draft like this year we are going to be competing for a division title next year.

If you look at our draft Spielman did an excellent job. We have our future starting QB. One of the best athletes in the draft and a starting SAM linebacker. We have McKinnon, who may be an intricate part of our offense for years to come. Crichton, who may be our starting LDE in a few years. Yankey should replace Johnson next year and Price is playing some good ball for us right now.

If I told you in the draft we got our franchise QB, a stud linebacker, a starting guard and starting LDE most would say that was an excellent draft. and if Exum plays up to his ability we have a starting safety. Add in McKinnon and Price and I hope we have a draft this good next year

That means we have a possible six starters out of this draft, that is how a dynasty is made, hopefully this is the beginning of great drafts and future super bowls.

purplehelmut
10-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Ok, I checked the stats and based on YPG, our secondary is average, not below average. Nothing to write home about.

tarkenton10
10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Ok, I checked the stats and based on YPG, our secondary is average, not below average. Nothing to write home about.

That is something to write home about. We were the worst D in the league as far as yards and the second worst in Points allowed. We were the worst in third down efficiency and only Dallas was considered a worse defense than us. So being average or middle of the pack means we have improved phenomenally. If we end up around 16th or 17th in the league that will be a major accomplishment for this team.

Rome wasn't built in a day!! Let's give Zimmer two or three years to get his guys in place and his playbook in place. I always believe a coach needs his players and schemes in place to see what it will really look like in a game. You have to remember these players are just learning Zimmer's and Turner's playbooks.

tastywaves
10-03-2014, 01:41 PM

It's 5 games into the season and we already moved up about 15 spots, I would say that is pretty damned good.

Nothing brings out the negative posters better than a good butt whoopin in Lambeau. CMac has that Spielman spiel ready to go anytime the Vikings take a misstep and nothing pleases him more than when a band of emotional fans join on in after having their throats stomped on.

It's just game 5 fellas. R-E-L-A-X. Most folks in this forum had us in the 5-9 range for wins this year going into the season. We win a game convincingly against Atlanta and everyone gets visions of playoffs. Now we get stumped (in every aspect of the game) in a short week in Lambeau and everyone is ready to call the team a complete disaster.

Fans are silly.

C Mac D
10-03-2014, 01:46 PM
It's 5 games into the season and we already moved up about 15 spots, I would say that is pretty damned good.

Nothing brings out the negative posters better than a good butt whoopin in Lambeau. CMac has that Spielman spiel ready to go anytime the Vikings take a misstep and nothing pleases him more than when a band of emotional fans join on in after having their throats stomped on.

It's just game 5 fellas. R-E-L-A-X. Most folks in this forum had us in the 5-9 range for wins this year going into the season. We win a game convincingly against Atlanta and everyone gets visions of playoffs. Now we get stumped (in every aspect of the game) in a short week in Lambeau and everyone is ready to call the team a complete disaster.

Fans are silly.

Those Spielman arguments have been sitting in notepad docs for months.

QuadoCox
10-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Fans are silly.
With no Peterson, CG, TB, KR and Ponder at qb

purplehelmut
10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm tired of seeing our DBs two steps behind receivers and getting burned for TDs. Been going on for too long. We may have improved the secondary and it may well get better, but last night just pissed me the f--- off.

tastywaves
10-03-2014, 01:58 PM

No doubt, I'm sure it won't be the last time we see them either.

tastywaves
10-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm tired of seeing our DBs two steps behind receivers and getting burned for TDs. Been going on for too long. We may have improved the secondary and it may well get better, but last night just pissed me the f--- off.

You want man to man coverage, that's what you will get. If the QB has time to let the WR make his route, there will always be an opening. Unless the DB is faster and taller than the WR, there is almost no chance of him making a play on a well thrown ball. Especially when tight coverage gives you a flag 50% of the time. You need safety help or pressure on the QB.

What you did see is why we should be taking more shots downfield with CP. Hopefully Teddy will be able to get comfortable with him on longer routes and give him the chance to make the play (or get the flag). I have no doubt that is what is intended for Teddy as he gets more of the offense given to him.

Minniman
10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
With no Peterson, CG, TB, KR and Ponder at qb
Adrian Peterson, Chad Greenway, Kyle Rudolph, Teddy Bridgewater, and Brandon Fusco all out.

Munnerlyn was playing after being ill this week, and Robinson had a pulled hamstring. It is no wonder the Vikings had trouble covering the deep shots to healthy receivers. Rodgers and company are tough enough when the defenders are healthy.

The Vikings had to use Asiata as the primary back because McKinnon was nursing an ankle twist. At least I hope that is why Asiata got so many touches.

Yes, the Vikings are hurting, but the gameplan for Ponder showed that this coaching staff does not know enough about Christian to gameplan to his strengths and against his weaknesses. It takes a lot of hubris to assume any coach is good enough for a one size fits all offense.

Minniman
10-03-2014, 03:57 PM
You want man to man coverage, that's what you will get. If the QB has time to let the WR make his route, there will always be an opening. Unless the DB is faster and taller than the WR, there is almost no chance of him making a play on a well thrown ball. Especially when tight coverage gives you a flag 50% of the time. You need safety help or pressure on the QB.
That play is designed for that one receiver. The line is in mass protect, and there are only two routes. One routes digs inside and crosses at mid depth, and the other route is a corner-post deep. The play is either a big pass to the open corner-post receiver, a progression shot to the secondary crossing if open, or a delayed check down to the sideline to a receiver coming off the block. The Packers often use this kind of isolation play.

The Vikings were in zone, and Smith did not use good technique. He bit to the corner and got turned around. After that, it was all over with Aaron Rodgers' accurate arm.

purplehelmut
10-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Nelson runs a 4.5 40 and we still don't have anyone who can cover him. I'm not sure, but there are lineman about as fast.

Minniman
10-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Nelson runs a 4.5 40 and we still don't have anyone who can cover him. I'm not sure, but there are lineman about as fast.
Nelson runs clean routes, and the ball comes in on target. All too easy.

Ranger
10-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Nelson runs clean routes, and the ball comes in on target. All too easy.

This.

40 time is a bit overrated, imo. There are plenty of receivers with shitty 40 times that crush the deep passes, because they can run routes and get defenders to bite, giving them a step or three. Fitz could do it, Rice could do it, younger Hines Ward did it, Carter did it...lots of guys. You just have to be a crafty route runner and, as Minni said, have an accurate quarterback with anticipation.

Arm strength is also overrated. Rivers doesn't have a cannon, and never has, but for years he had the best deep ball in the game.

bleedpurple
10-06-2014, 11:20 AM
That is not true, Harrison Smith is playing at a pro bowl level IMO. Rhoades is playing at a high level and would start for just about every team in the league. The Captain is an excellent nickel and a good out side guy in a pinch. We are one CB away from having a very good secondary, if we draft a shut down corner next year, teams are going to find it very hard to throw on us. I like Exum's skillset and athleticism, I think next year he will play and our secondary is going to be even more formidable.

We were 32nd in the league in total D, we were 3st in PA, and 32nd in third down efficiency last year. I will bet anyone we will be in the top half of the league in all those categories by the end of the year. We are getting better and more talented every year, if we have another draft like this year we are going to be competing for a division title next year.

If you look at our draft Spielman did an excellent job. We have our future starting QB. One of the best athletes in the draft and a starting SAM linebacker. We have McKinnon, who may be an intricate part of our offense for years to come. Crichton, who may be our starting LDE in a few years. Yankey should replace Johnson next year and Price is playing some good ball for us right now.

If I told you in the draft we got our franchise QB, a stud linebacker, a starting guard and starting LDE most would say that was an excellent draft. and if Exum plays up to his ability we have a starting safety. Add in McKinnon and Price and I hope we have a draft this good next year

That means we have a possible six starters out of this draft, that is how a dynasty is made, hopefully this is the beginning of great drafts and future super bowls.

I say this post is a little presumptuous. The "excellent" draft is TBD. I don't know about starting guard and LDE. Franchise QB? we'll see but I was in for tank for teddy mode all last year. he's the guy I always wanted. so if he is the only guy that pans out, i'd say it was an excellent draft. It was a good draft so far but all to early to be saying who's going to be starting when they aren't even activated on game days.

tarkenton10
10-06-2014, 11:54 AM
I say this post is a little presumptuous. The "excellent" draft is TBD. I don't know about starting guard and LDE. Franchise QB? we'll see but I was in for tank for teddy mode all last year. he's the guy I always wanted. so if he is the only guy that pans out, i'd say it was an excellent draft. It was a good draft so far but all to early to be saying who's going to be starting when they aren't even activated on game days.

Of course it is but that is why I said we MAY have a starting LG, LDE and S. If you look at the facts right now it is still a very good draft. We have a starting SAM and a starting QB, add in McKinnon, Price and Stephens and their contributions and I like Spielman's draft this year. No matter what happens from now on.

tastywaves
10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm still not sure I understand what the title of this thread means.

bleedpurple
10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Of course it is but that is why I said we MAY have a starting LG, LDE and S. If you look at the facts right now it is still a very good draft. We have a starting SAM and a starting QB, add in McKinnon, Price and Stephens and their contributions and I like Spielman's draft this year. No matter what happens from now on.

After 5 games? ok!

tastywaves
10-06-2014, 12:07 PM
This year's draft has the potential of being pretty good.

BadlandsVikings
10-06-2014, 12:18 PM

I don't either, for some reason it made sense after the game

tastywaves
10-06-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't either, for some reason it made sense after the game

That's a relief, I've been mulling this over ever since the thread was started.

tarkenton10
10-06-2014, 01:50 PM
After 5 games? ok!
Based on their playing time, I would say yes after five games.

Minniman
10-06-2014, 02:34 PM
I would guess it is a metaphor. He is not actually a screen door.

Maybe it is a reference to someone breaking into our house, and a screen door just lets 'em in. We need our DBs to be metal doors with bars, dead bolt locks, and an alarm.

tarkenton10
10-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Maybe it is a reference to someone breaking into our house, and a screen door just lets 'em in. We need our DBs to be metal doors with bars, dead bolt locks, and an alarm.

Maybe he meant a revolving door?

vikesrgreat2
10-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Private Munnerlyn????

purplehelmut
10-06-2014, 03:32 PM
He is like a screen door on a submarine?

tastywaves
10-07-2014, 12:09 AM
He is like a screen door on a submarine?

That works.

Traveling_Vike
10-07-2014, 03:43 AM
I thought it was meant to imply that, unlike a regular door, he can't keep much of anything from getting past him.

In any case, I really was kind of puzzled when we got him, because (apparently unlike some of you here) I had not really heard much of anything about him that would stand out. If it was to be an upgrade at all, it wasn't that much of one.

tarkenton10
10-07-2014, 10:17 AM
I thought it was meant to imply that, unlike a regular door, he can't keep much of anything from getting past him.

In any case, I really was kind of puzzled when we got him, because (apparently unlike some of you here) I had not really heard much of anything about him that would stand out. If it was to be an upgrade at all, it wasn't that much of one.

It was a huge upgrade at Nickel, the slot has been an Achilles heel for us. He is one of the best slot corner in the game. However, if we use him primarily at the slot he will be a very expensive nickel corner, so I am sure that is why he is playing on the outside quite a bit.

i_bleed_purple
10-07-2014, 02:23 PM

You still use Notepad?

i_bleed_purple
10-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Maybe a screen door looks like there's something there, but whenever you try and walk through it, you get hit in the nose?

Minniman
10-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Maybe a screen door looks like there's something there, but whenever you try and walk through it, you get hit in the nose?
That is a glass door, and I do not believe the OP was making a reference to Munnerlyn hitting anyone in the nose.

Minniman
10-08-2014, 11:36 AM
It was a huge upgrade at Nickel, the slot has been an Achilles heel for us. He is one of the best slot corner in the game. However, if we use him primarily at the slot he will be a very expensive nickel corner, so I am sure that is why he is playing on the outside quite a bit.
I agree.

Munnerlyn had a good reputation as a nickel/slot cornerback. He is not as good on the outside though, but the Vikings are paying him too much to be a part time player, so he moves outside when the Vikings are not in a nickel package.

tarkenton10
10-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I agree.

Munnerlyn had a good reputation as a nickel/slot cornerback. He is not as good on the outside though, but the Vikings are paying him too much to be a part time player, so he moves outside when the Vikings are not in a nickel package.

Right now he is our second best CB so he should move out there. Hopefully we will address that position in the draft this year.

Minniman
10-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Right now he is our second best CB so he should move out there. Hopefully we will address that position in the draft this year.
Corners take two or three years to prime up. Are there any good cornerbacks in free agency this year? It would be costly, but cornerbacks make a huge difference.

tarkenton10
10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Corners take two or three years to prime up. Are there any good cornerbacks in free agency this year? It would be costly, but cornerbacks make a huge difference.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cornerback/

Three at the top of the list that I would try to pursue are:

Darrell Revis- NE- He signed a one year deal.
Antonio Cromartie - ARI
Tramon Williams - GB

PackSux!
10-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Really people? I cannot believe people still bitch about the defense? When are you fuckers going to learn that when the offense does not score points we lose?

The game is set up for high scoring, its not really that hard to figure out.

tarkenton10
10-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Really people? I cannot believe people still bitch about the defense? When are you fuckers going to learn that when the offense does not score points we lose?

Defense still wins championships. The top 5 defenses in the league were Seattle, Car., Cin, NO,, & SF. The fact that four were in the NFC shows the conference that puts a premium on D. The conference that won the super bowl was that particular conference.

Everyone is going to have a shot at scoring points the way the rules are now. So if you have a better D than the other team you have an advantage IMO.

Look how many games were lost last week when a team had a big lead. If they had a good D they could close out the game.

purplehelmut
10-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Dang PSux, why all the hostility? I'm no fooker, mind you. Any football fan analyst worth his salt knows a championship team must have a good balance between offense and defense. I agree, a team doesn't necessarily need a top 5 defense to win but it better be in the top half. Winning games is about scoring more than the other team and that is a function or maximizing your points and minimizing the opposition's points. I've seen too many high scoring teams fall to good defenses when the chips are down. See Denver vs. Seattle last year.

tastywaves
10-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Defense still wins championships. The top 5 defenses in the league were Seattle, Car., Cin, NO,, & SF. The fact that four were in the NFC shows the conference that puts a premium on D. The conference that won the super bowl was that particular conference.

Everyone is going to have a shot at scoring points the way the rules are now. So if you have a better D than the other team you have an advantage IMO.

Look how many games were lost last week when a team had a big lead. If they had a good D they could close out the game.

Yes, good defenses and strong running games seem to still be a winning formula (especially in the playoffs).

But, there is something to be said about teams who dominate on offense and the clock tend to have better defenses. Whether it is the offense that dominates or the defense that keeps getting stops and hands it back to the offense. Hard to tell just by looking at the stat. Once again stats can lie more than a politician.

Purp1eOne
10-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Well I would think the whole D is a little behind the 8 ball. Learning a new system and going against, Brady, Brees, Ryan and Arod has a lot to do with it. Thats a tough start for any secondary and with a young secondary learning a new system I would say they are doing pretty good.

The Captain will be just fine.

Minniman
10-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Well I would think the whole D is a little behind the 8 ball. Learning a new system and going against, Brady, Brees, Ryan and Arod has a lot to do with it. Thats a tough start for any secondary and with a young secondary learning a new system I would say they are doing pretty good.
+1

Good points made.

Minniman
10-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Really people? I cannot believe people still bitch about the defense? When are you (packers) going to learn that when the offense does not score points we lose?

While I agree that a high power offense can solve many defensive woes (see Vikings 1998), the teams with the best defenses in the NFL all have winning records (or did when I posted to the NFL area on PPO), but the top offenses did not.

What really confuses me is that the Vikings do not take their cornerbacks and safeties as seriously as they should. John Madden once said that a team must build its offense from the line out and the defense from the corners in. That is even more valid today, and the Seahawks are a good example of that mentality.

tarkenton10
10-13-2014, 11:24 AM
While I agree that a high power offense can solve many defensive woes (see Vikings 1998), the teams with the best defenses in the NFL all have winning records (or did when I posted to the NFL area on PPO), but the top offenses did not.

What really confuses me is that the Vikings do not take their cornerbacks and safeties as seriously as they should. John Madden once said that a team must build its offense from the line out and the defense from the corners in. That is even more valid today, and the Seahawks are a good example of that mentality.

I go back and forth between that logic and building great lines, both on offense and defense. I guess the main directive from me if I was DC would be to make the other team one dimensional. That could be handled both ways, you get a great line and the opposing team's offense can't run on you or you get great corners and they can't pass on you. Either way I would be happy if we had enough talent to make any team one dimensional, it doesn't look like we have that kind of talent this year.

Ranger
10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
I go back and forth between that logic and building great lines, both on offense and defense. I guess the main directive from me if I was DC would be to make the other team one dimensional. That could be handled both ways, you get a great line and the opposing team's offense can't run on you or you get great corners and they can't pass on you. Either way I would be happy if we had enough talent to make any team one dimensional, it doesn't look like we have that kind of talent this year.

You can have fantastic cornerbacks, but if your front can't pressure the quarterback, they'll throw the ball all over you. Given enough time, a NFL receiver will get some space on the DB.

tarkenton10
10-14-2014, 07:57 AM
You can have fantastic cornerbacks, but if your front can't pressure the quarterback, they'll throw the ball all over you. Given enough time, a NFL receiver will get some space on the DB.

That is why if I had my preference I would want a great D-line!

Minniman
10-17-2014, 10:00 AM

You can have a great line, but it is negated if the quarterback can get the ball out to an open receiver. The Vikings have seen this time and time again.

I think Madden said cornerbacks, right defensive end, and middle linebacker were the order for the defense. My football books are packed away.

That did not mean everyone else could be a scrub. It just meant that the value added of an All Pro player at those positions were greater than the difference between a good player and a great player at other positions.

Minniman
11-17-2014, 08:35 AM
You can have a great line, but it is negated if the quarterback can get the ball out to an open receiver. The Vikings have seen this time and time again.

And again, and again, and again ....

Build a defense from the corners in.

kingpin9995
11-17-2014, 09:16 AM
And again, and again, and again ....

Build a defense from the corners in.

The Viking defense is fine.. They had a bad game, it happens. The Vikings offense is
unwatchable. You can't win ANY games when you have an offense as inept as the
Vikings.... 2 turnovers, a successful fake punt... and the Vikings score 13 points..
Really? Yes really because that's who they are without one real threat on offense..
When you can make the Bears defense look good...oh well.. With Peterson the Vikings
win that game along with the Lions and Bills... Adrian Peterson is not just a good back
the Vikings are missing.. he's one of the best backs of all time. Adjust my asss...
There is no adjusting to losing him not when he's the only threat you have. Get ready
for a major azzz whoopin Sunday. I hope the Peckers score 60. Maybe that will make
the inept Wilfs decisions easier when they cow tow to the special interests and release
Peterson...

vikesrgreat2
11-17-2014, 12:31 PM
The Viking defense is fine.. They had a bad game, it happens.

Kingpin, I agree. The Bears played MUCH better yesterday as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the defense plays better on Sunday against Green Bay.

The Vikings offense is unwatchable. You can't win ANY games when you have an offense as inept as the
Vikings.... 2 turnovers, a successful fake punt... and the Vikings score 13 points..

I agree that 13 points is not usually enough to win a game. When was the last time we scored 13 or fewer points and won the game? I can't remember...

Really? Yes really because that's who they are without one real threat on offense..
When you can make the Bears defense look good...oh well.. With Peterson the Vikings
win that game along with the Lions and Bills...

I agree. AD can singlehandedly cause your team to win a game! He's THAT good!

Adrian Peterson is not just a good back
the Vikings are missing.. he's one of the best backs of all time. Adjust my asss...
There is no adjusting to losing him not when he's the only threat you have.

I'd like to think that Bridgewater is a threat. He's really good at taking off and running down the field. Why didn't he do that yesterday? I'd also like to think that Patterson is a threat due to his speed and athleticism. Are we doing enough to maximize what we can do with him? Or, are we maybe too afraid to make a mistake?

Get ready for a major azzz whoopin Sunday. I hope the Peckers score 60. Maybe that will make
the inept Wilfs decisions easier when they cow tow to the special interests and release
Peterson...

I think Green Bay will win the game, but I doubt they score 60+ points. I hope the Vikings pull the upset! To do so, they have to FORCE TURNOVERS and CONVERT THE TURNOVERS INTO TOUCHDOWNS. The Vikings are currently 9-point underdogs. Let's hope they get 14+ points off turnovers! SKOL VIKINGS!!!

Minniman
11-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Let's hope they get 14+ points off turnovers!
If the Vikings score 14 points off turnovers, they are still likely to lose 41-20.