PDA

View Full Version : Josh Robinson

VKG4LFE
10-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Is it just me, or has this guy improved ten fold over the last couple years? I thought he played a great game against Atlanta. I know he gave up completions and what not, but it seemed to me that when he did give up a completion he was right there to make the tackle. In previous years it was a completion, he was al turned around and flustered and hellaton YAC. I've done some bashing of him before, but it looks like he's turning a corner, which would obviously be great.

Oh, and I love Rhodes' game! He's got all the potential to be an absolute stud!

tarkenton10
10-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Is it just me, or has this guy improved ten fold over the last couple years? I thought he played a great game against Atlanta. I know he gave up completions and what not, but it seemed to me that when he did give up a completion he was right there to make the tackle. In previous years it was a completion, he was al turned around and flustered and hellaton YAC. I've done some bashing of him before, but it looks like he's turning a corner, which would obviously be great.

It is called coaching!! And he was not very good last year but he was out of position. He is not suited to play the slot. Zim came in and got Captain that allowed Josh to move back to the cover corner. He is also being coached up from what I have seen this year. Josh had problems turning and running across the field with small, shifty, quick WRs, this year he doesn't have to cover them.

Suick
10-01-2014, 12:16 PM
It is called coaching!!

Yes..............we finally got rid of the cover 2

Minniman
10-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Is it just me, or has this guy improved ten fold over the last couple years? I thought he played a great game against Atlanta.
Other than the mistake on the wide open receiver for the touchdown pass, which may not have been his assignment, Robinson played pretty well.

I know he gave up completions and what not, but it seemed to me that when he did give up a completion he was right there to make the tackle.
He plays closer to the receiver, and he gets better position.

In previous years it was a completion, he was all turned around and flustered and hellaton YAC.
Robinson often would get caught out on plays. He went for fakes, did not maintain position, did not get a good read, and he often let the receiver get open on a double move. Basically, he was awful in space.

I've done some bashing of him before, but it looks like he's turning a corner, which would obviously be great.
Bashing or criticism? There was certainly enough film to indicate that Robinson, at one time, was one of the worst cover cornerbacks in the NFL. He was an easy mark, and he was often exploited.

Robinson stepped it up last season when moved from the nickel slot to the outside. This season, he has done even better. I was a doubter, but Robinson is now a capable defender. He is not yet great, but he is no longer an easy mark.

As long as he plays the ball, he should do fine. I few picks would help his reputation.

tarkenton10
10-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Other than the mistake on the wide open receiver for the touchdown pass, which may not have been his assignment, Robinson played pretty well.

He plays closer to the receiver, and he gets better position.

Robinson often would get caught out on plays. He went for fakes, did not maintain position, did not get a good read, and he often let the receiver get open on a double move. Basically, he was awful in space.

Bashing or criticism? There was certainly enough film to indicate that Robinson, at one time, was one of the worst cover cornerbacks in the NFL. He was an easy mark, and he was often exploited.

Robinson stepped it up last season when moved from the nickel slot to the outside. This season, he has done even better. I was a doubter, but Robinson is now a capable defender. He is not yet great, but he is no longer an easy mark.

As long as he plays the ball, he should do fine. I few picks would help his reputation.

That is where he should be, and that is coaching. Finding the skillset of a player and putting him in a position to succeed. He played outside in college and he does not have great hips to turn and run with quick little WRs in the slot. He also is in bump and run instead of the Tampa two passive alignment. Zimmer actually saved his career because I believe he would have flamed out if Frazier was still with us.

tastywaves
10-01-2014, 01:44 PM
That is where he should be, and that is coaching. Finding the skillset of a player and putting him in a position to succeed. He played outside in college and he does not have great hips to turn and run with quick little WRs in the slot. He also is in bump and run instead of the Tampa two passive alignment. Zimmer actually saved his career because I believe he would have flamed out if Frazier was still with us.

I don't think Zimmer is real high on him either yet. If keeps playing like he has lately that will all change, but he needs to keep it up.

And yes, he was never a good match as a slot db. Many hoped that because he was fast and short, that he would excel against slot receivers....guess you call that stereotyping if we want to stay on that theme.

Minniman
10-01-2014, 02:25 PM
That is where he should be, and that is coaching. Finding the skillset of a player and putting him in a position to succeed.
I agree. Even so, the best players can adapt to many schemes. Of course, no coach or manager has the luxury of having all better players except the New York Yankees every so often.

He also is in bump and run instead of the Tampa two passive alignment. Zimmer actually saved his career because I believe he would have flamed out if Frazier was still with us.
Frazier did move Robinson to the outside after he was a failure in the slot on nickel situations. Zimmer, his staff, and his defensive scheme may be a better overall fit though, and I agree that could benefit Robinson.

tarkenton10
10-01-2014, 03:31 PM
I agree. Even so, the best players can adapt to many schemes. Of course, no coach or manager has the luxury of having all better players except the New York Yankees every so often.

Frazier did move Robinson to the outside after he was a failure in the slot on nickel situations. Zimmer, his staff, and his defensive scheme may be a better overall fit though, and I agree that could benefit Robinson.

I agree, but the soft coverage in the Tampa two did not work out well for Josh. Again in soft coverage you have to have good hips to turn and run and if you look at him he is very stiff in the hips. While he may have great straight line speed he can get lost with crisp route running.

Minniman
10-01-2014, 03:35 PM
I agree, but the soft coverage in the Tampa two did not work out well for Josh. Again in soft coverage you have to have good hips to turn and run and if you look at him he is very stiff in the hips. While he may have great straight line speed he can get lost with crisp route running.
I have not read all of the scouting reports on Robinson, but if that is the case, then your conclusion is valid. I will have to watch for that on Thursday.

Minniman
10-02-2014, 01:35 AM
I guess we are not the only ones to notice.

Scoggins: Vikings cornerback Robinson removes 'horrible' label

Josh Robinson probably felt like he wore a prank “Kick me” sign on his back in the past year. He’s been labeled one of the worst cornerbacks in the NFL. His new coach referred to him as “the other guy” when discussing injuries. Media ripped him, fans mocked him, Pro Football Focus shredded him.

Robinson ... is, without question, the team’s most improved player under first-year coach Mike Zimmer. No longer forced to play out of position in the slot-nickel role, Robinson looks far more reliable as an outside cornerback in Zimmer’s scheme.

Zimmer, a stickler when it comes to his secondary, sounds like a fan. Now he wants to see more from his pupil.

“I just want Josh to be a little bit more confident in his abilities,” Zimmer said. “He’s got a chance to be a very good corner if he continues working on the techniques, refining the techniques, understanding the concepts more. But he’s got a chance to be a very good player.”

Full story here:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/277688201.html

tarkenton10
10-02-2014, 08:39 AM
I have not read all of the scouting reports on Robinson, but if that is the case, then your conclusion is valid. I will have to watch for that on Thursday.

You know the sad thing is that I am a big NFL draftnick and Lavonte David was on the board. I am a huge Husker fan and I was telling my friend that should be our pick, how nice would it be to have David at the Will right now.

Purp1eOne
10-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Coaching has helped big time and the fact that he isn't out of position anymore helps a lot. Guy has all the tools to be a good corner just needs a little confidence.

Minniman
10-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Coaching has helped big time and the fact that he isn't out of position anymore helps a lot. Guy has all the tools to be a good corner just needs a little confidence.
Some size would help, but he does have speed. He needs a little swagger.

I have not checked if he does not have good hip movement though, as has been suggested.

Purp1eOne
10-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Some size would help, but he does have speed. He needs a little swagger.

I have not checked if he does not have good hip movement though, as has been suggested.

He looks pretty fluid to me, has speed and good ball skills. Confidence and as you mentioned size are his big issues.

tastywaves
10-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Robinson may be the most improved player on defense for the Vikings IMO. He is much tighter with his coverage and is looking for the ball more.

ironbrigade
10-14-2014, 04:51 AM
Robinson is an example of putting a player where his talents fit rather than trying to force him into a position where he doesn't. As has been said he was not a good slot cover guy but on the outside receiver he can use his speed to his best advantage.

digital420
10-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Josh has been a player i was routing for this year. Dad and I had discussed our cb's a lot. He's shown a lot of improvement, his coverage is a bit open on the first 10 yrds and he's in the right spot usually on the inside shoulder of any WR after that.

he's not grabbing, or using his hands until he's got eye's on the ball, and i won't be surprised to see him grab a couple pic's this year.

as far as his confidence, i see it growing. he really is becoming a better player.. amazing what real coaching can do!!

DiGiTaL

ironbrigade
10-14-2014, 07:46 PM
I've been following Josh on Twitter and even there you can tell the guy is a lot happier about his play this season over last. The guy is a class act so I'm really happy to see him now in a position where he can put his skills to the proper use.

tarkenton10
10-15-2014, 09:03 AM
I felt sorry for the guy, They were drafting CBs like him and Rhodes and playing a Tampa Two. Frazier didn't have a clue what he was doing!! Those two corners have a complete different skill set then needed in a Tampa Two. He is now in a defense where he can use his skill set and it shows, KUDOS to Zim on that one.

tastywaves
10-16-2014, 04:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/9922/mike-zimmer-sees-progress-in-xavier-rhodes-josh-robinson

According to Pro Football Focus, quarterbacks have a passer rating of just 53.3 when throwing at Robinson (the seventh lowest in the NFL), and a mark of 71.0 when targeting Rhodes (19th lowest among cornerbacks)

Pretty impressive.

The Vikings have five interceptions this season, which puts them 15th in the NFL (though Harrison Smith, though Harrison Smith, who has three already this year, is on track to become the first player since _________ with more than three interceptions

Any guesses? Hint: Freya's former favorite Vikings CB

digital420
10-18-2014, 07:42 AM
i think tasty u mean sharper..

as for the DUO.. it's great to see the vikings with CB's who really can play! and the coaches really coaching these guys to get better in their weakness, and increase their strengths! now now the @#!$@%$ same with the oline!

DiGiTaL

BadlandsVikings
11-17-2014, 07:38 AM
The Vikings would have been better off if Josh would have stayed in Minnesota

Minniman
11-17-2014, 08:49 AM
The Vikings would have been better off if Josh would have stayed in Minnesota

Robinson had appeared to be playing better, but much of that was an illusion. Robinson now stays with the defender better, but he does not play the ball, so that catch is there to be made. With big receivers, this can be exploited.

I posted earlier this year that if I was an offensive coordinator, I would gameplan to look for Robinson and use lateral routes to exploit him; that is exactly what the Bears did. I would say it worked pretty well for them.

Josh Robinson is not the answer at cornerback. He can be coached up, but there is only so far a player can get better, and I am seeing diminishing returns. The Vikings need to be serious about this position, or they will get burned for years into the future.