PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Rhodes & Sharrif Floyd

PInfante97
09-24-2014, 07:23 PM
How would you grade those 2 thus far? - lets discuss

jargomcfargo
09-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Minnesota is 11 th in total defense. I would rank them pretty high. They are close to the bottom in offense. I expect that to improve considerably with Teddy in there. Everybody said, with a better defense the Vikings could contend, with Cassel. Well now you are going to have a QB better than Cassel, and a better defense. And despite the rash of injuries, I expect improvement.
I really have a hard time buying into the doom and gloom when I see so much promise.

digital420
09-25-2014, 02:47 AM
best answer i can give on those 2 players, and honestly all of the D at this point is this.

1. both players have shown improvement, what does this mean to me? it means we actually have coaches that coach, teach, and are getting players to play better.

2. we have talent! in the last half decade i havn't seen a coach on the Vikes make the adjustments that i've seen so far this team do. not just in personel, but also in where they are, what they are doing. dropping back, playing closer, challenging plays. I really do believe this will increase as we progress and the coaches and players not only build the teacher/player relationship, but get more real time action, and in game experience.

3. some critiques. during the pat's game, rhodes made a gamble, dove for the ball to knock it out, he was caught a step behiend the wr who through a quick move to get a step. had that gamble worked and he tipped the ball away it woulda been a highlight reel.. the fact he missed it by cm's and the wr caught it was a big play for the pats. floyd, ive seen him push inside a few times, and i've seem him over push during some runs. this is something i hope the coaches will be working on, keeping an eye on the play and not just going for spot X.

DiGiTaL

Minniman
09-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Does Sharrif Floyd play for the Vikings?

I hadn't noticed.

PurplePowerPunch
09-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Rhodes needs to polish up on his tackling and he'll be five. Floyd can be a force at time but he must stay focus.

thorshammer
09-28-2014, 10:46 AM
I think both players are improving. I like our coaches and love the fact that they make in game adjustments. I think this team will continue to improve. I have seen Floyd make some plays and I think Rhodes will continue to improve. Very excited about this team.

Minniman
09-28-2014, 12:05 PM
I have seen Floyd make some plays ...
With five tackles, no sacks, and one stuff in three games, what plays are you seeing him make?

I see Floyd often getting handled inside by a single blocker, getting no push into the backfield, and getting turned away from the play on runs. I do not see Floyd doing anything to warrant the first round pick the Vikings used on him.

The one stuff was a good play, but Sharrif Floyd needs to play better. He is being outplayed by Tom Johnson.

Braddock
09-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Xavier was a STUD against ATL this week. Despite a bogus penalty, he controlled his field. The pass rush, Floyd included, was disappointing. Floyd with Smith are the basis for a dominant secondary.

jargomcfargo
09-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Xavier was a STUD against ATL this week. Despite a bogus penalty, he controlled his field. The pass rush, Floyd included, was disappointing. Floyd with Smith are the basis for a dominant secondary.
It's a different kind of defense than we have ever seen before. The scheme looks great, but it may be a year or two until they get the personnel to contend for a championship. But it is coming.
Vikings are going to do very well this year, despite injuries and off field problems.
The next two years will see the Vikings as one of the best teams in the league.

snowinapril
09-28-2014, 11:40 PM
With five tackles, no sacks, and one stuff in three games, what plays are you seeing him make?

I see Floyd often getting handled inside by a single blocker, getting no push into the backfield, and getting turned away from the play on runs. I do not see Floyd doing anything to warrant the first round pick the Vikings used on him.

The one stuff was a good play, but Sharrif Floyd needs to play better. He is being outplayed by Tom Johnson.

Floyd would have had a sack today but got the holding penalty instead. He hasn't been a dominant force in the pass rush so far.

I liked the confidence that Rhodes played with today. We held Jones and White in check most of the game and Rhodes was a huge part of that. We had two blown assignments in this game that led to TDs, can't remember if Rhodes was part of that or not.

Purple Jesus 84
09-29-2014, 03:48 AM
Rhodes did pretty good. I like that he had, what, 4 PD's? That's good.

Minniman
09-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Floyd would have had a sack today but got the holding penalty instead. He hasn't been a dominant force in the pass rush so far.
The pass rush is not his only assignment, but I do not see Sharrif Floyd dominating the LOS in the run game either. Linval Joseph eats space and often takes on two blockers, so it should be easier for Floyd to provide pressure or make the tackle.

I do believe Floyd had a better game today against the Falcons. He was more active, and he played his gaps. He does have an injured shoulder, and he is rotating in and out of the game with Shamar Stephen, so it is difficult to use stats alone to characterize his effort.

One should note that Tom Johnson is used as a tackle in the nickel, so his opportunities for quarterback pressure are greater without an extra back or tight end in the game.

I liked the confidence that Rhodes played with today. We held Jones and White in check most of the game and Rhodes was a huge part of that. We had two blown assignments in this game that led to TDs, can't remember if Rhodes was part of that or not.
Rhodes played well. No defender can make every play. The rules favor receivers. Rhodes was targeted 11 times with 4 passes defensed - most coming on deep strike attempts by the Falcons. Rhodes played the ball much better today. His reputation for drawing pass interference calls on deep throws should be reduced if he can continue to do so.

Rhodes needs to step up his game on the underneath passes. He has to get better reads and break on the ball. A few interceptions will go a long ways to keep his targets down.

VikingMike
09-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I think this was Rhodes's best game as a Viking. This is a very good Atlanta receiving corps, and he was physical all game. Julio Jones was pretty much nonexistent. So great to see this kind of CB play rather than that cover-2.

Minniman
09-29-2014, 03:16 PM
I think this was Rhodes's best game as a Viking. This is a very good Atlanta receiving corps, and he was physical all game. Julio Jones was pretty much nonexistent. So great to see this kind of CB play rather than that cover-2.
Considering what the Falcons' offense did to the Tampa 2 the week prior, I agree wholeheartedly.