PDA

View Full Version : Five Viking Stats that Stand Out

Just Me
09-16-2014, 10:55 PM
The Star Tribune (http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/five-vikings-stats-that-stand-out-for-week-3) has the following stats that stand out for week 3:

one — complete pass thrown beyond 10 yards by Matt Cassel this season.
Cassel didn’t complete a single pass beyond 10 yards in the 30-7 loss to the Patriots, according to ESPN Stats and Info — well, unless you count the three caught by the other team, but we wouldn’t advise you do that.

More at the link. (http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/five-vikings-stats-that-stand-out-for-week-3).

Christian Cassel at QB, anyone? (Be forewarned: only one of the five stats is a "good" one.)

Reignman
09-16-2014, 11:30 PM
I can't say any of those are surprising to be honest. I can understand why we weren't all that aggressive in the Rams game, because it wasn't necessary. I just don't understand how Cassel looked pretty sharp and on target on our opening drive against the Patriots with all those misdirections, and then he turned into Christian Cassel as you say, after that. No doubt he was just as brutal as Ponder has been. I don't know how he finished with 200 yards though. Ponder had several games below 70 yards so he must have been more brutal than I remember. I'm trying to forget that era. Most of my disappointment is with Zim for not putting Teddy in at the end so he could gain some experience in a game that was already over.

Matt Asiata is another thing I don't understand. What do they see in that guy? He's pretty good at catching passes out of the backfield and blocking, but that's about it. He should only be our 3rd down back IMO.

And I definitely noticed how much better our D is on 3rd down. Man it was brutal last year. If I had to of guess, I would've said opponents were completing at least 75% of those on us last year so I'm surprised to see it was only 44%. It seemed like our D could never get off the field. Especially on 3rd in long. I'd be surprised if we weren't the worst in the league on 3rd n long, both offensively and defensively.

Just Me
09-16-2014, 11:39 PM
It's still early in the season, but I really think our defense will be in the top half of the NFL at season's end. I'm thinking we'll be a top 10 defense next year. We still have some growing to do, but I really see our D headed in a good direction. (I just need Demi to get signed up so he can give me a healthy booster shot of reality/skepticism. ) :p