PDA

View Full Version : Zimm Era G #1 and WOW!!!

digital420
09-07-2014, 03:25 PM
man.. o man.. I came into this game wondering if our D was gonna show any improvement.
how we would do without JA and Kwill. how would the CB's handle things, and Blanton.. could he keep up and lock down his spot..

how would Norv's O work.. would CP grow into his role in the O.. can AP still punish D's. and would we win the turnover battle.

34 points later.. and I for one am very very impressed!

5 sacks.
2 int's.

and a road victory to start the season..

so much more to say, but i'm in london.. and gotta get off the computer.. as it's not mine..

Gratz Zimm on your first win!

SKOOOOOOOL to what seems like the start of a great season!

DiGiTaL

Tad7
09-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Great way to start the season! A tough schedule and tough division meant the Vikings had to walk away with a W from a game like this and they kicked ass!

Cassel did nothing the first half and Peterson looked average so certain things will definitely needed to be improved for the games ahead.

Suick
09-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Are we that good or are the Rams that bad? Guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

I'm a little concerned about AP's pedestrian performance. He still won't take the 5 yd hole but opts to cut back looking for the 50 yd hole. Plus........... He had a lot of contact behind the line today which hurt. O-line run blocking was subpar

thorshammer
09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
What a great game. The O looked good except for those crazy snaps. AP looked like he was still shaking the rust off but I'm not worried. CP looked fantastic and our D was solid but a caveat on the D they gave up some long passes. I was most impressed by our D line play they were ferocious today. Our secondary overall was vastly improved. Things are looking up.

NodakPaul
09-07-2014, 05:11 PM
This was much better than any game last year. I am super encouraged.

I also recognize that we were playing a broken St Louis offense. But that is part of football. Two INTs is a GREAT way to make a statement about the Vikings D. I am happy that our offense was able to stay relatively mistake free against a Rams D that is pretty good, especially on the line.

PurplePowerPunch
09-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Man has the defense improved from last year. D-Line was flying all over the place. L. Joseph looks unblock. Cassell made some great throws. The Jennings TD was a bute. Patterson is our new P. Harvin. Line him up anywhere he is electrifying. Great win for our beloved Vikes and great first win for Coach Zimmy!

Reignman
09-07-2014, 05:42 PM
I also recognize that we were playing a broken St Louis offense. But that is part of football. Two INTs is a GREAT way to make a statement about the Vikings D.You got that right! This is exactly what you're supposed to do vs guys like Shaun Hill and Austin Davis. Our defenses in the past had a nasty habit of making guys like that look like Joe Montana. You can't worry about shutting down guys like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, you need to shut down the scrubs like we did today.

snowinapril
09-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I really appreciated Smith's sack on the blitz.

I liked it when the announcers said "the Vikings are getting pressure with just their front 4." What? It has been a while since I have felt that was true.

purplehelmut
09-07-2014, 07:01 PM
We came in and did what we had to do. Plenty of room for improvement but a solid effort on the road vs. a team that was supposed to have a great D-line. A good win and a great start. Now let's beat what is going to be a riled New England team. One of the most fun games to watch in recent memory though.

VikingMike
09-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Defense looked impressive...everyone was involved. Hope Rhodes and Floyd are OK. Offense also looked good v. a solid Rams line. Not getting too excited yet, but a good win.

Traveling_Vike
09-08-2014, 02:05 AM
As mentioned in the GameDay Chat and in another thread here, there were a lot of early mistakes and stupid penalties, but it seems that, unlike in recent years, the new look Vikings are able to surmount those obstacles. Some still thought the offense was conservative and predictable again, but it was never really necessary to dig deep into the playbook, as the defense kept the game well in hand. I thought that Norv Turner was doing this early on in order to feel the Rams out, since there was not much to judge their game on without Bradford.

From what I have seen and heard so far regarding our upcoming opponents, a lot of those games look to be defensive battles. But you know what, for the first time in years, that may be a Good Thing. With our much more aggressive D, especially on the line, we may be able to harass Brady enough to slow the Pats down. If the Dolphins could put him on the turf ten times today, we should be able to get similar penetration and pressure on him.

A big win, coupled with losses by the Packers, Bears, Saints, Patriots, Cowboys... it's a good day to be a Vikings fan. About the only thing that would have made it better in my book is if the Colts had managed to complete their comeback at Denver.

AngloVike
09-08-2014, 06:47 AM
An interesting game indeed and one to take a lot of positives from. For once we saw a Vikes team take what they were given instead of constantly running AP into the '8 in a box D' as has happened so much. We saw some nice calls with Patterson and with Cassell picking out his receivers. Credit to Norv for his calls and to the players for buying into what he wanted to do.
Defence was great and I can't believe some of the pass rush we were getting when we sometimes used 4 men - way more than we saw last year with 6 men or more. The biggest thing that I saw and liked was the hustling towards the ball carrier, one tackler but at least two others backing up - great to see.
All in all a good start, yes we know the Rams weren't at their strongest and picked up more during the game, but the Vikes made sure they took that game. In the past we've seen opposition backups ( especially QBs ) come out and shred us - not today. The team played at their level and didn't drop the the opposition's.
Next few weeks will give us a better idea of how well the team is doing but on the attitude and playing so far we're already much improved over last year.

ConnecticutViking
09-08-2014, 07:48 AM
It's all about the DEFENSE! I loved the fact that the Zimmer's defense attacks and doesn't sit back.

midgensa
09-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Seriously ... what a great performance.

We looked like a good team. Good teams go on the road and rattle a team with a backup quarterback. Good teams keep the peddle to the metal when they have a big lead. Good teams grind the clock with that lead. Good teams play with confidence and sense when the other team is ready to be knocked out.

We did all that yesterday. Does it mean we are Super Bowl bound? No. Does it mean we are a team that can be infinitely better than many prognosticators predicted ... certainly.

We will know a bunch after a desperate Patriots team comes to town next week. I don't like our chances, but I also do not think another W is impossible.

There is plenty to be hopeful for after that wonderful performance yesterday.

Jereamiah
09-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Seriously ... what a great performance.

We looked like a good team. Good teams go on the road and rattle a team with a backup quarterback. Good teams keep the peddle to the metal when they have a big lead. Good teams grind the clock with that lead. Good teams play with confidence and sense when the other team is ready to be knocked out.

We did all that yesterday. Does it mean we are Super Bowl bound? No. Does it mean we are a team that can be infinitely better than many prognosticators predicted ... certainly.

We will know a bunch after a desperate Patriots team comes to town next week. I don't like our chances, but I also do not think another W is impossible.

There is plenty to be hopeful for after that wonderful performance yesterday.I asked
my old Platoon SGT what he thought about next weeks game. I remember he was pretty spot on when
predicting games....Here's what he said:

" Y'all good Jereamiah Pemberton you have the best running back in the league and the Pats have no run defense!!! The dolphins just ran the ball down there throat! And other than Revis there defensive secondary is garbage and Revis doesn't even play the best receiver because he doesn't switch sides so y'all will be alright.....as long as you get the ball past big wilfork on the D line your good!!!"

C Mac D
09-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Are we that good or are the Rams that bad? Guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

I'm a little concerned about AP's pedestrian performance. He still won't take the 5 yd hole but opts to cut back looking for the 50 yd hole. Plus........... He had a lot of contact behind the line today which hurt. O-line run blocking was subpar

Rams front seven is one of the best in football. I'm happy with the performance he had, as he was clearly the main focus of the defense and cleared out a lot of space for the short passing game.

All in all, there's not really much to complain about. This was a great win!

drakkar
09-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Rams front seven is one of the best in football. I'm happy with the performance he had, as he was clearly the main focus of the defense and cleared out a lot of space for the short passing game.

All in all, there's not really much to complain about. This was a great win!

34 points and AP was quite, have to be excited what this offense can do when he gets rolling!!!

jessejames09
09-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Our secondary looks confident. I'm not sure if I've ever said that before...

Patterson's run was absolute nonsense. We're pretty spoiled as far as spectacular touchdown runs go but that one's gonna be on a lot of highlight reels in the future.

So far Griffins been living up to expectations and the rest of the D-line seems to be as well. It looks like Zimmer's D might help our tackles as much all the Geno Atkins hype suggested.

Our QB played well and our special teams played awesome. It's pretty hard not to be optimistic, so as Vikings fans we should all be very scared.

singersp
09-09-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm so glad the cover 2 zone is gone as our primary defense. That alone made a huge difference.

VikingMike
09-09-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm so glad the cover 2 zone is gone as our primary defense. That alone made a huge difference.

Me too, I hated that "prevent defense".

kingpin9995
09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Me too, I hated that "prevent defense".

I'd be much more excited for this team except when I look at the schedule. Did a Viking hater put this together? Next 5 games, Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers and Stafford...Why don't they just throw in Montana, Favre and Elway..

Minniman
09-09-2014, 05:03 PM
The offense did not play well.

6.8 YPA passing for 170 yards? Those are Ponder/Musgrave numbers. Stafford had a 10.8 YPA against the Giants.

The Vikings were 3/12 on third down. The Vikings will not win many games with a ratio like that. The Giants were 3/13 against the Lions and got spanked. The Lions were 10/15 on third down. The Lions dominated even with a poor rushing game from Bush.

So what do we have? The Vikings defense looked good against an average offense with its second and third string quarterbacks playing. The Vikings offense played poorly against a defense that was middle of the league last season. Hey, I will take the win, but the Vikings have a lot of work to do, and this stretch will not be easy.

tastywaves
09-09-2014, 05:30 PM

6.8 YPA passing for 170 yards? Those are Ponder/Musgrave numbers. Stafford had a 10.8 YPA against the Giants.

The Vikings were 3/12 on third down. The Vikings will not win many games with a ratio like that. The Giants were 3/13 against the Lions and got spanked. The Lions were 10/15 on third down. The Lions dominated even with a poor rushing game from Bush.

So what do we have? The Vikings defense looked good against an average offense with its second and third string quarterbacks playing. The Vikings offense played poorly against a defense that was middle of the league last season. Hey, I will take the win, but the Vikings have a lot of work to do, and this stretch will not be easy.

Hard to criticize when we win the game 34-6 regardless of what stats reveal. They accomplished their objective plain and simple. First road win in how long?

However, I do agree that it's a bit early to get too excited. Austin Davis is a few notches down from who we will see in the next several games.

raptorman
09-09-2014, 09:57 PM

And yet with all those passing yards the Lions scored 4 TD. 2 passing and 2 rushing. Stop getting caught up in the stats. The only stat that counts in TD's and scoring. A one dimensional team like the Lions or Packers are done if their top QB goes down. Look what happened in Green Bay last year when Rodgers went down. They went through 3 QB's and still only managed a 2-5-1 record with him out.

Saints, Bears, Ravens, Colts, Browns, Cowboys, Redskins had more Offensive yardage this past week than the Vikings. Yet only the Saints outscored the Vikings. Yards don't matter when you don't score.

Minniman
09-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Stop getting caught up in the stats ... Yards don't matter when you don't score.
In any given game, that may be valid, but in the long run, passing YPA and turnover ratio are two of the most reliable indicators of win/loss. You may choose to ignore that and say the Vikings offense kicked butt, but that would not be an accurate assessment.

Minniman
10-28-2014, 07:07 PM
A month and a half later, the indicators of a poor offense where pretty much on target.

purplehelmut
10-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Only four teams have a worse third down conversion percentage than the Vikings. We're at 34.1%, 28th in the NFL. If you can't sustain drives you aren't going to score points, as evidenced by our PPG.

tarkenton10
10-30-2014, 12:47 PM
WOW, here is a news Flash, a team with a new OC and a rookie QB are having problems passing the ball!!!! Man, you guys want to win and win now! WE have a new HC, OC, DC, a rookie QB, lost our all world RB and several key players on O and even D for a while. Whoda thunk we'd have some problems? Doesn't anyone have restraint and foresight, to see that we are trying to build a team? Can't you guys give Zimmer/Norv a year or two to implement their systems before ripping them apart like a school of piranhas?!?!??!!?

purplehelmut
10-30-2014, 01:31 PM
There are plenty of teams out there that have their own sets of problems and they are still performing at a good level. Buffalo is 5-3 with Orton for crissakes. Arizona had a third string guy in at QB for awhile. The Lions are 6-2 and have been without Bush and Johnson the last couple weeks. The Ravens lost Rice and they're 5-3. I don't expect our offense to set the world on fire, but I am concerned with the lack of success, notably on third down and in the red zone and putting points up. I'd like to see improvement and, in my eyes, we've seen very little. Yeah, we got a bunch of new this and that, but it isn't like these guys started playing football a year or two ago. I don't want excuses, I want results dammit!

tarkenton10
10-30-2014, 01:46 PM
There are plenty of teams out there that have their own sets of problems and they are still performing at a good level. Buffalo is 5-3 with Orton for crissakes. Arizona had a third string guy in at QB for awhile. The Lions are 6-2 and have been without Bush and Johnson the last couple weeks. The Ravens lost Rice and they're 5-3. I don't expect our offense to set the world on fire, but I am concerned with the lack of success, notably on third down and in the red zone and putting points up. I'd like to see improvement and, in my eyes, we've seen very little. Yeah, we got a bunch of new this and that, but it isn't like these guys started playing football a year or two ago. I don't want excuses, I want results dammit!
Buffalo has had their coach for three years, Arians is in his second year, The Ravens have had Harbaugh forever. The Lions have Top 5 draft picks all over the place and have Stafford who is playing in his sixth year helping the offense tremendously during a game.

So if you are looking at those teams I suggest you give this team the same amount of time to improve their skills. Zimmer has only been a head coach for 8 games, you guys are nuts!!

C Mac D
10-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Buffalo has had their coach for three years, Arians is in his second year, The Ravens have had Harbaugh forever. The Lions have Top 5 draft picks all over the place and have Stafford who is playing in his sixth year helping the offense tremendously during a game.

So if you are looking at those teams I suggest you give this team the same amount of time to improve their skills. Zimmer has only been a head coach for 8 games, you guys are nuts!!

*sigh*

It used to be "Give Childress a chance, he's only coached for one full season!" or "Frazier just needs to get his defense in place!" Same story, different year.

I'm not even faulting Zimmer, but when a team continually goes through head coaches and QB's, at some point people have to start to realize where the problem lies.

But sure, I'll wait yet another 3 years for yet another rebuilding process. The Wilf's got their billion dollar stadium, so what do they care?

tastywaves
10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
*sigh*

It used to be "Give Childress a chance, he's only coached for one full season!" or "Frazier just needs to get his defense in place!" Same story, different year.

I'm not even faulting Zimmer, but when a team continually goes through head coaches and QB's, at some point people have to start to realize where the problem lies.

But sure, I'll wait yet another 3 years for yet another rebuilding process. The Wilf's got their billion dollar stadium, so what do they care?

About filling it. If winning isn't required then all the better for them.

jargomcfargo
10-30-2014, 07:47 PM
*sigh*

Do you really see the same story ? This time I don't. I think Zimmer is definitely worth a little patience, though Norv is a little up and down. But Teddy appears to have more upside than any QB the Vikings have had for awhile. I think they will be better by the end of this year, and much better next year. Rookie QB=patience. Wouldn't you agree?
It seems different this time. Time to let the hand play out instead of bailing prematurely.

tarkenton10
10-31-2014, 02:23 PM
*sigh*

No need to wait, I have come around to your point of view!! I think we should fire Spielman, fire Zimmer he has 8 games and we don't want to wait a HOLE year!! Teddy needs to go too, he has had only one good game!!! Norv should go, he has not produced in those 8 games!! That means we hire a new GM, coach and get a free agent QB for the last 8 games and if they don't produce fire them.

I think that is great logic!!!

tarkenton10
10-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Do you really see the same story ? This time I don't. I think Zimmer is definitely worth a little patience, though Norv is a little up and down. But Teddy appears to have more upside than any QB the Vikings have had for awhile. I think they will be better by the end of this year, and much better next year. Rookie QB=patience. Wouldn't you agree?
It seems different this time. Time to let the hand play out instead of bailing prematurely.

Don't you understand we can't wait three years for Zimmer to suck we have fire him right now. Spielman has only been our GM for two years we have to fire him, what don't you get?!!?>!!?