PDA

View Full Version : Joe Webb?

VKG4LFE
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
What the heck did I miss? When did he leave/get cut whatever? I noticed he was on the Carolina roster, how did I miss this?

triedandtruevikesfan
09-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Oh I hadn't noticed either. No great loss.

Tad7
09-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Hard to believe he was here 4 years but I guess his contract was up and he just wasn't re-signed.

Apparently he had a good pre-season and made the roster as a 3rd string QB behind Newton and Derek Anderson.

digital420
09-03-2014, 03:30 AM
not surpised he wasn't picked up again, glad to see he still gets to be on a team. not sure he'll ever see the field again though. shame, great athletic ability, just didn't translate to on the field production. prolly could be from many things, ie.. the existing coaching staff at the time and their inability to address teaching/coaching players and their talent.

DiGiTaL

i_bleed_purple
09-03-2014, 09:08 AM
not surpised he wasn't picked up again, glad to see he still gets to be on a team. not sure he'll ever see the field again though. shame, great athletic ability, just didn't translate to on the field production. prolly could be from many things, ie.. the existing coaching staff at the time and their inability to address teaching/coaching players and their talent.

DiGiTaL

Watching Webb play reminded me of high school ball. He's a talented guy, but his raw physical talents just don't match up to actually playing football in the NFL. He needs to learn the game, and I don't think he ever was really given that chance.

Webby
09-03-2014, 12:15 PM
He was let go very quietly...didnt see a peep anywhere. I think its just another example of how poorly managed things were under Frazier and previous coaches....the Freeman episode was just the embodiment of how screwed we really were.

C Mac D
09-03-2014, 12:25 PM
He was let go very quietly...didnt see a peep anywhere. I think its just another example of how poorly managed things were under Frazier and previous coaches....the Freeman episode was just the embodiment of how screwed we really were.

... or still are.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zimmer and what he's done with the team, but the Freeman episode was Rick Spielman's call. How that guy is still a GM in this league is beyond me.

Webby
09-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Spielman has done a terrific job and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. LOL

He's got about as good a record at QB as other GMs in the league...its a hard one to get right. But looking at the team thats being built and some of his moves...its the right direction and I like it.

I just hated Chilly and Frazier...so I am giving Z a little leeway.

C Mac D
09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Spielman has done a terrific job and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. LOL

He's got about as good a record at QB as other GMs in the league...its a hard one to get right. But looking at the team thats being built and some of his moves...its the right direction and I like it.

I just hated Chilly and Frazier...so I am giving Z a little leeway.

What successful QB has he drafted in his entire career? Fingers crossed for Bridgewater, but Spielman's record on the QB front is abysmal.

faninphx
09-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Oh Lord, let's mot get CMac going on Rick Spielman. I think Rick has done a pretty good job with the draft over the last three years. QBs....ehhh, not so much. Ponder was a bit of a stretch at 12th but I don't blame him for thinking Ponder could be developed. But developing a QB is very tough. There are usually more misses than hits. And I don't see what the big to-do is about the Freeman debacle. He only started one game and he only had a one-year deal. The only thing that was hurt was Zygi's checkbook.
Back to Webb. We probably thought we could develop him into Kordell Stewart type multi position player. Too bad he was never good at either. I will always remember him running down the sidelines for a 60 yard TD run against the Lions and shocking the Eagles in Philly on Tuesday Night Football.

VKG4LFE
09-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I have to agree with webby, spiel man IMO has done a nice job. So. He drafted ponder ok that's one strike, but he hit on Walsh, Patterson, smith, kalil, among others. I know QB is the most important and that miss on ponder is huge, but I have no problem with the job he's done.

QuadoCox
09-05-2014, 07:03 AM
I have to agree with webby, spiel man IMO has done a nice job. So. He drafted ponder ok that's one strike, but he hit on Walsh, Patterson, smith, kalil, among others. I know QB is the most important and that miss on ponder is huge, but I have no problem with the job he's done.
The majority of the guys you named were first rounders, very high first rounders at that. His previous issues were filling out rosters deep in the draft. He has done a better job but we have had an insane amount of picks in this 3 year span. i honestly think he has gotten better but he was terrible before ( i don't buy the triangle bull crap, the draft is his baby and no i didn't forget about Robison and Griffen).

12purplepride28
09-05-2014, 10:23 AM
... or still are.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zimmer and what he's done with the team, but the Freeman episode was Rick Spielman's call. How that guy is still a GM in this league is beyond me.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Freeman could've been good still? If only we gave him more than a week to learn the system.

12purplepride28
09-05-2014, 10:25 AM
The majority of the guys you named were first rounders, very high first rounders at that. His previous issues were filling out rosters deep in the draft. He has done a better job but we have had an insane amount of picks in this 3 year span. i honestly think he has gotten better but he was terrible before ( i don't buy the triangle bull crap, the draft is his baby and no i didn't forget about Robison and Griffen).

But look at other teams first round picks. For how great TT supposedly is for the packers, look at their first rounders. It isn't a guarantee to pick in the first.

tastywaves
09-05-2014, 11:11 AM
But look at other teams first round picks. For how great TT supposedly is for the packers, look at their first rounders. It isn't a guarantee to pick in the first.

One can always find warts if they look hard enough.

Minniman
09-05-2014, 11:20 AM
The Packers have been on the best drafting teams in the NFL in the past decade. Even so, a GM has to be good with free agents too.

The Vikings have had many first round draft picks in the past two years, but they gave up a high profile player and picks to do it. The Vikings have been devoid of second and third round picks, and that will hurt team depth in the future.

drewlovs
09-05-2014, 11:36 AM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Freeman could've been good still? If only we gave him more than a week to learn the system.

I was angry we got Freeman, I wanted Cassel to take over; but after we picked him up, I wanted to see if he could find a home with us. What the frazier/Spielman feud did (or didn't do) to our team and Freeman is a travesty.

The Packers have been on the best drafting teams in the NFL in the past decade. Even so, a GM has to be good with free agents too.

The Vikings have had many first round draft picks in the past two years, but they gave up a high profile player and picks to do it. The Vikings have been devoid of second and third round picks, and that will hurt team depth in the future.

Spielman has gotten better, and I really think Turner and Zimmer helped A LOT. Zimmer seems to have an eye for talent; I just watched the Bengals Hard Knocks and I was amazed at how often the Head Coach sat with Zimmer and just picked his brain.

We got a good one this time!!

Minniman
09-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I was angry we got Freeman, I wanted Cassel to take over; but after we picked him up, I wanted to see if he could find a home with us. What the frazier/Spielman feud did (or didn't do) to our team and Freeman is a travesty.
I agree. I wanted to see what Cassel could do, and Spielman turned the Vikings into a circus.

Spielman has gotten better, and I really think Turner and Zimmer helped A LOT. Zimmer seems to have an eye for talent; I just watched the Bengals Hard Knocks and I was amazed at how often the Head Coach sat with Zimmer and just picked his brain.
That is just one draft, but I do understand your point. Note that the coaches scouted key players themselves, and Zimmer and Turner have a lot of experience in the NFL to draw from.

We got a good one this time!!
We can hope so.

12purplepride28
09-05-2014, 02:01 PM

I disagree. The second round picks that we would've had were basically converted into late first round picks. It's still two picks in the first two rounds. We traded Harvin for Rhodes, and then drafted Patterson who I like better than Harvin, and then (I believe) used the a 4th rounder to trade up to snag Teddy. I'm not worried about depth on our team at all.

QuadoCox
09-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Agreed. However, we also have been picking pretty high as of late 5 wins, 6 wins, 3 wins in the last 4 years. You can expect some bust later in the first but that high you should be getting quality.

tastywaves
09-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Agreed. However, we also have been picking pretty high as of late 5 wins, 6 wins, 3 wins in the last 4 years. You can expect some bust later in the first but that high you should be getting quality.

Last 4 years, our first round picks were:

#12, #4, #29, #23, #25, #29, #9 and #32

QuadoCox
09-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Last 4 years, our first round picks were:

#12, #4, #29, #23, #25, #29, #9 and #32

4, 12, 9 - The rest were extra draft picks. Not that hard to hit in the first. We were horrible for a long time late in the draft. Robison and Griffen but mostly Shulers.

QuadoCox
09-06-2014, 07:01 AM
I disagree. The second round picks that we would've had were basically converted into late first round picks. It's still two picks in the first two rounds. We traded Harvin for Rhodes, and then drafted Patterson who I like better than Harvin, and then (I believe) used the a 4th rounder to trade up to snag Teddy. I'm not worried about depth on our team at all.
Agreed

Freya
09-06-2014, 01:39 PM
I wish him well.......the poor guy had the misfortune of being with the Vikings during a time when they were actively ruining young talent at QB. With his physical talent and better guidance he would have gone far. Perhaps he still can.

raptorman
09-06-2014, 02:23 PM
4, 12, 9 - The rest were extra draft picks. Not that hard to hit in the first. We were horrible for a long time late in the draft. Robison and Griffen but mostly Shulers.
Actually, the overall bust rate for 1st round picks after 3 years is about 50%.

raptorman
09-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Packers are not that great. Stolen from a Packer forum.

Datone Jones- Didnt look good year one. Didnt look good last night.
Eddie Lacey- Excellent pick filling need and adding value.
David Baktiari- I think hes over rated. Starter non the less.
JC Tretter- Havent seen him play a game yet but he is rumored to have dominated the competition between he and Linsely.
Jonathon Franklin- Unfortunate neck injury.
Micah Hyde- I think he is also over rated but still gets playing time.
Josh Boyd- Little impact. Has gotten playing time but never made plays. Clearly didnt help turn around a bad defense.
Nate Palmer- No impact
Charles Johnson- Gone
Kevin Dorsey- No impact
Sam Barington- Time will tell. On his way up.

Nick Perry- Almost no impact from our 1st round pick.
Jerel Worthy- Off the team as our 2nd round pick.
Casey Hayward- Promising corner.
Mike Daniels- He had a good year last year but he didnt look good last night.
Jerron McMillian- Terrible and off the team.
Terrell Manning- Off the team.
Andrew Datko- Off the team.

Derrek Sherrod- Maybe the worst OT in the league.
Randall Cobb- A good find for a gadget player and returner. We dont use him for either.
Alex Green- Awful and off the team.
Davon House- Has been good.
Caleb Schlauderaff- Off the team.
DJ Smith- Off the team.
Ryan Taylor- Great special teams player.
Lawrence Guy- I believe hes starting for the Colts.

2010 NFL Draft
Byran Bulaga- Always hurt. Even when he played he wasnt some pro bowl OT.
Mike Neal- Couldnt make it as a 34 end so he dropped weight to be an average OLB.
Morgan Burnett- Nothing special here. Starting but doesnt make plays.
Andrew Quarless- Has started and made some impressing plays.
Marshall Newhouse- His poo puttyness rivaled only by Sherrod.
James Starks- A good running back found in the later rounds.
CJ Wilson- Off the team. Started on some bad defenses.

2009 NFL Draft
BJ Raji- Has had one good year. Injured this year.
Clay Matthews- IMO the best game changer TT has taken in recent years.
TJ Lang- Solid starting guard.
Quinn Johnson- Not on the team.
Jamon Meredith- Immediate cut.
Jarius Wynn- Off the team.
Brandon Underwood- Awful and off the team.
Brad Jones- Awful player but for some odd reason we like to let him start.

http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21587

12purplepride28
09-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Packers are not that great. Stolen from a Packer forum.

http://packersnews.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21587

Exactly. People on here acting like the only good picks that Spielman had were in the first (which isn't true anyways) are completely ignoring the fact that a first round pick isn't some guarantee. Look at how many busts there are in the 1st round, and we've basically hit on the last 7 of them. I'll take that any day.

12purplepride28
09-06-2014, 02:46 PM

And in the 20s. Don't forget that one. But look who we took a few years ago. It was Blackmon, Kalil, or Claiborne. We took the one guy that wasn't a bust among those, plus with the trade back we picked up some other picks. Spielman has been among the best drafters in the past few years.

PurplePowerPunch
09-06-2014, 05:19 PM
And in the 20s. Don't forget that one. But look who we took a few years ago. It was Blackmon, Kalil, or Claiborne. We took the one guy that wasn't a bust among those, plus with the trade back we picked up some other picks. Spielman has been among the best drafters in the past few years.

He really pooped the the bed with the Ponder pick tho.

12purplepride28
09-06-2014, 07:14 PM
He really pooped the the bed with the Ponder pick tho.

His worst pick was when he was stuck in the "triangle of authority" and wasn't even our official GM, so I give him a pass on it. He's been great otherwise and everything he's done since being named the GM has only reinforced my previously held belief that if he were given control of the team, he'd be amazing. Quite a few people on here disagreed with me, but I think the past few years has shown me to be right.