PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Success: Proof in the Puddin’, Perfect Placebo or Patience Please!?!??

mountainviking
08-31-2014, 03:11 PM
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Full-Highlights-From-An-Undefeated-Preseason/0bc38f4d-9598-4698-a29c-23b2d720af03

I know, I know, Pre-Season don’t mean shit. Nadda, Nothing, Zilch, Zero…Right!?? I’ve got one friend who even claims that you’re practically guaranteed to lose 2 games in the real season for every one you win before that part of the year rolls around…

But, nonetheless, the Vikings are at least a bit of a surprising 4-0 in games that don’t matter, and even the situation above would still leave 8-8 as a possible outcome…and far above expectations. All off season long, every ranking I’ve seen has thrown the Purple Pride’s squad down at the bottom of the NFC and not far up from the NFL floor. But they don’t understand the Roller Coaster Ride of being a lifelong Vikings fan, they just like to take the easy way out and predict results similar to whatever happened last season.

IF nothing else, I think the Pre-Season games provide a glimpse of the talent level of your depth, and more importantly, how it stacks up against other NFL rosters. You wouldn’t expect the backups of a terrible team to beat the backups of a perennial playoff team on a regular basis, would you!?

And, it’s not the record of 4-0 that impresses me, but how they got there. With a diverse and vastly improved Defense, an incredibly low mistake rate regarding Turn-Overs and Penalties, and an impressive rushing game behind superb blocking and without our no.1 superstar, Adrian Peterson!!?!

Points Allowed: 2nd!? From 30th to 2nd!??!?? Only 12.2 pts/game allowed!!
Sacks: Tied at 7th most with 5 other teams…but representing only a portion of the pressure that helped lead to:
QB Rate Allowed: 2nd Best/Lowest!!

Turnover differential: Plus-5. No. 2 in the league.
Giveaways: 1. Tied for fewest in the league.
Penalties: 31. Tied for second-fewest behind only San Francisco’s 29.

Rushing Offense: 3rd! (And, again, without No.28!!)
Offense Overall (yards & points!): 11…about where it was last year, but I suspect this will go up as Norv turns on and tunes up the rest of the playbook!?!

At the very least, that is a whole lot of steps in the right direction!! On the positive side, if bounces break right for us a little bit and we don’t break too many players in general, 8-8 could be the low side of where this team can go!!

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!

So, what do you think about The Vikings’ Pre-Season Success?

Proof in the Puddin: This team is improving swiftly and might compete for the division this year!
Perfect Placebo: It sure as hell ain’t the real thing, but it does feel good!
Patience Please: Seriously!?? Quit smoking that Deep Purple Nighty-Night and give them a few years to put their poop in a group!?!
Piss Off Fool! This team will be lucky to win twice this year and they might both be coin flips!! (for the Haters and Packer Trolls)

LOL! At least I entertain myself! ;)

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/preseason-highlights-vikings-have-fewest-turnovers-second-fewest-penalties

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/10-Things-We-Learned-About-the-Vikings-this-Preseason/c2bf15ab-4000-499c-ba3e-2dfea996021b

Minniman
08-31-2014, 08:22 PM
The team looks improved, but around my local area, the bandwagon jumpers are already convinced the Vikings will use Teddy Bridgewater to win every game. I have to remind them that Bridgewater likely will not play, and he was playing against many players that will likely not play either.

I see much improvement, but how far the Vikings will be able to take it is a mystery. It is a good time to give the team some support.

I mean like, so many positive waves ... maybe we can't lose! woof woof!

VikingMike
08-31-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm a lot more excited to see this year's team than any team in the past few years. Can't wait to see what Zimmer does with our defense, and what Turner does with the offense. I'd be OK with 8-8, but I'm expecting more.

digital420
09-01-2014, 04:06 AM
i've always looked @ the pre-season as a litmus test.

1. what will your depth look like vs everyone else's depth
2. using the basic playbook can your O be in sync, can the D keep together.
3. it's a time when coaches get to evaluate the talent they have in glorified practices, vs other teams how they fit into the ideas they have for the season, what works, what doesn't.

for those 3 questions, and maybe add in especially for the Vikes. how will the coaches work together. i would rate the pre-season as a huge success.

i'm sure neither Zimm, or Norv really show'd their hand in the pre-season. and we still got yards, scores, qb pressure, and some outstanding play by a lot of depth players. sure it's just a dress rehearsal and yeah it's going against some of the bottom of the barrel most of the time. but it's better then only seeing your teams o vs d on a daily basis in practice.

one final note, it also gives you a chance to get those rookies out there under the lights and going full speed to get those.. OMG this is the NFL jitters out. check Teddy and Barr.. both got their feet wet, and performed well above expectations of a rookie! now.. when the real games matter, they've been there done that, and can just get to doing what they should be doing.. enjoying the game and playing some good ball!

and if you don't see the allready improved
- adaptability of the O and D
- tweaks and modifications of players/positions and how it might work in the real thing
- our new Coaching staff's improved game management.
you weren't watching the same games i was. proof's in the pudding boys.. time to taste sweet success!

DiGiTaL

purplepat
09-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Very little scheming or game planning goes into the preseason. We never even saw AD. Most teams stick to the vanilla stuff without revealing any of the wrinkles they plan on using. You can get an idea of whether some young players (like Thielen, for instance) can cut it, but you really can't take too much stock in anything we've seen in the preseason.

MaxVike
09-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Our record at the end of the year may be a disappointment, or, we may be pleasantly surprised. Having been on this roller coaster ride for 45+ years, I'm most excited that we have what I feel is our most competent coaching staff in a very long time. I feel like they will get more out of the players we've had (with the exception of AP) and that we have a nucleus of young players to anticipate break out years from.

This team will be a tough out…they will be less predictable offensively, they have playmakers, and, they will be much more physical. I'm looking more forward to this season than I have in quite some time.

Mark_The_Viking
09-01-2014, 09:29 AM
I don't think it's fair to say pre season doesn't mean anything.

There are players on the roster bubble out to prove something and new HCs who want to show they were worth employing. Game 3 is a starter v starter competition and shows something of things to come. This pre season doesn't make mew think we are a 16-0 team but it has shown me we are becoming a more rounded both sides of the ball type team and that has to be a good sign. I will be patient with the team this year as we are beginning to put the pieces in palce to have a real run at the post season and that has to be good. SKOL Vikes

Webby
09-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Every year I get my hopes against my own better judgment. We start the season tough, and maybe end up 8-8 this year. If we surprise, 9-7. The team is going the right way, but we aren't there yet.

Traveling_Vike
09-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I voted Placebo, but I do have some higher hopes and expectations. I suppose it would be more appropriate to say, the scores of the pre-season games don't matter, but what we see during them does.

Two things stand out for me as very positive signs. First, turnovers and turnover ratio. We are hanging on to the ball much better than we have in recent years, and also starting to see more INTs and hustle on fumbles. We are WORKING for them, instead of just taking them as they come. This is critical, and highly indicative of a whole new attitude from the top down.

Second, a significant drop in stupid penalties. Those used to hit us regularly at crucial times. Not so much any more. If the players can maintain their focus and discipline in preseason, that it a good indicator that they will continue to do so now that it really counts.

I'm pumped. I'm not looking for even a deep playoff run just yet, but the building blocks are there for at least a .500 season.

Tad7
09-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I guess I'll vote "proof the team is improving". I feel good about so many things on this team...the big ones being the coaching staff and NotPonder starting a whole season.

10-6. wild card spot. SKOL!

faninphx
09-02-2014, 05:26 AM
I voted Placebo, but I do have some higher hopes and expectations. I suppose it would be more appropriate to say, the scores of the pre-season games don't matter, but what we see during them does.

Two things stand out for me as very positive signs. First, turnovers and turnover ratio. We are hanging on to the ball much better than we have in recent years, and also starting to see more INTs and hustle on fumbles. We are WORKING for them, instead of just taking them as they come. This is critical, and highly indicative of a whole new attitude from the top down.

Second, a significant drop in stupid penalties. Those used to hit us regularly at crucial times. Not so much any more. If the players can maintain their focus and discipline in preseason, that it a good indicator that they will continue to do so now that it really counts.

I'm pumped. I'm not looking for even a deep playoff run just yet, but the building blocks are there for at least a .500 season.

Excellent points TV! The win-loss outcomes in preseason are meaningless but am always excited to get a glimpse as to how our team looks overall. Last year our team looked pathetic and way behind the other teams we were playing. Our opponents looked like they were ready to start the season and we looked like we just started our OTA's. This year was a completely different story. For the most part I thought we were aggressive and confident. I was very happy to see TB play at a high level. I really hope we are smart with developing him so we can finally have the franchise QB we so desperately need.

We finally seem to be paddling in the right direction.