PDA

View Full Version : Vikes PS: G#3 takeaways!

digital420
08-24-2014, 10:16 AM
wow.. a thumping! we didn't pour on points till the end, but overall the team played hard, from starters to fringe and cuttable players. The big cut is coming. this won't be the hardest one, down to 72 players? i think the next cut group will be very hard to decide.

O - Nov's vanilla O still trying not to show other teams what we can/will do. still shows far more promise then rustymusty's mid season business card playcard.

- qb's Matt played about as expected. his toss to CP was great, and DEEP! not sure what he was thinking with the simpson toss for an int. but.. i think simpson shoulda challenged more for that ball. and that saftey. shrug.. coulda been worse.

Teddy, was well setup for his 2 td's but he did a great job putting them away into TD's.
I really like how his plays are going to TE's, Norv's preparing him for Rudy!

OL they held, but were exposed a lot with the lb's rushing over the dbl team right into the qb's face. something here we need to address, and i'm sure Zimm will have it nailed down.

WR Jennings, drag that toe man!! and CP's bizarre drop.. I still believe we'll keep six, with simpsons suspension coming Smith will hold that extra place with Adam holding the 5th wr spot.

TE in Norv's O the TE's we have should shine. everything i've seen in the pre seasons shows this, and makes me happy with the guys we currently have.

RB - A and McK show'd some tuffness, but neither is AP.. i'm still not sure which i'd rather have in the NEED of a backup. but I think McK is rising to the off pace back.

D
- still in the vanilla mode, it was Cole's turn to lead the tackles, a good sign for me he's coming along. keeping the starters to 3 points (their D scored the other 2) while washington was in the redzone 3x. 2 int's 1 fg.. i can live with that.

DL - kept getting preasure on the qb's all nite. they didn't translate into a lot of sac's but they kept the rythem from washington from ever getting into real sync.

LB some good work, i saw still a lot of mismatches in our coverage. but they kept the lock down, wanted to see a few more blitzes, maybe some more qb hits, but I can wait till the real season to let them loose. I wonder how the competition works out here. I do beleive we'll see a lot of mixed personal and should be solid for us.

CB's honestly, id have to watch a lot more of the replay's and tape of the game to make an overall assessement, a lot of plays broke down very quick, how they reacted was quick, still we did let them mass up some yards in the air.

S Blanton still not on the field, Smith is still the anchor. other then that. this will be interesting to see who passes the big cuts, and who do we field.

ST - had soem good returns, kept theirs in check. Walsh was perfect, not sure if they asked him to try and not send one out of the endzone, maybe trying to pin them in more. Lock's punts had the hang time to let our guys get down, that one that just bounced inches inside the endzone.. coulda been the punt of the month.

Coaches
- Zimm even after good plays I saw Zimm waving and yelling, talking with guys coming off the field. he seems to really be in his element coaching, teaching, and always looking to improve his guys. I'm again reminded how bad our coaching staff's have been in the last years.

- Norv. He is playing his scheme's vs 5-7 man fronts. i can't wait till he has AP in the backfield. I for one am very excited to see what the season will bring for this offence. even with average Matt, and young Teddy under center.

again, overall i enjoyed getting up at 3 am.. watching a pre-season game that has little meaning past the evaluation of players in a glorified scrimmage. I see us on a very good road of improvement, and building a young, talented group of players that will become a dominant force in the NFCN, NFC, and sooner then later the NFL as a whole.

btw.. how many of our cuts, will make teams elsewhere?

DiGiTaL

Minniman
08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Interesting observations. Nice post.

O - Nov's vanilla O still trying not to show other teams what we can/will do. still shows far more promise then rustymusty's mid season business card playcard.
I can deal with a small playcard ... if the offense is dynamic, as many WCO plays are three plays in one based on the defense and audibles. I was not impressed with Musgrave's playbook. The playbook was generic, and too many similar plays came off the same formation and player package, so it was easier to scout.

- Norv. He is playing his scheme's vs 5-7 man fronts. i can't wait till he has AP in the backfield. I for one am very excited to see what the season will bring for this offence. even with average Matt, and young Teddy under center.
I have a couple questions here. Is Norv playing the vanilla playbook, or is this what we will see during the regular season? I do not expect special plays in the preseason, but the third game should have part of the installed offense to work with.

Is Norv, and the Vikings offense, prepared to face the eight and nine man fronts, run blitz schemes, and other packages NFL teams will bring when AP is in the game? The defenses have been generic in the preseason; one should expect big changes in defensive schemes, plays, formations, and the needed reads starting week one.

jessejames09
08-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I think it's pretty telling Sherels was on the field at the end of the game and he's the one who got beat for the lone KC touchdown. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe the writings on the wall. I just love the fact that sub-par secondary play isn't something that's taken lightly under Zimmer's staff and everyone seems to be getting a fair shot in the new system.

If we're not in the bottom third in the league against the pass it's going to be a pretty cathartic experience for me.

Minniman
08-24-2014, 02:11 PM
I think it's pretty telling Sherels was on the field at the end of the game and he's the one who got beat for the lone KC touchdown.
I noticed that too. Sherels is a very good special teams player, but his defensive skills have not been NFL quality up to this point.

If we're not in the bottom third in the league against the pass it's going to be a pretty cathartic experience for me.
It is top 1/3 or bust for me.

Turnover opportunities will also be a key to a better defense.

tastywaves
08-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Finally watched the game.

Two things stood out to me.

1) 3 INT's. Munnerlyn's especially stood out. Anyway you look at it, with this team, 3 INT's in any organized team activity is as rare as seeing a moose in Texas.

2) The running game was much more productive. Asiata doesn't impress much, but he is a guy that looks like he can take a lot of carries in a game as well as catch a few passes...nothing spectacular, but servicable. McKinnon was solid (his best game) and I like the limited action I've seen with Dominique Williams. He has the best RB moves outside of AD in my eyes. But he's only had a handful of carries to this point, so not much to judge by and doubt he has any chance for the roster.

Cordarelle made a nice catch for a TD. He runs the same route as Simpson on the Cassel pick and I think we have a different results. David Chappelle's doppelganger (CMac credit) did nothing to help himself.

Rodney Smith's imitation of Gumby on the kickoff didn't look good. Glad he came out of it okay, but there had to be some damage done.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/24/refo-vikings-chiefs-preseason-week-3/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=refo-vikings-chiefs-preseason-week-3

PFF Signature Stat: Barr rushed the passer only 10 times compared to 19 snaps spent in coverage. Thatís now 14 pass rush snaps and 50 coverage snaps through three preseason games.

Guess that's what practice is for?

digital420
08-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Interesting observations. Nice post.

I have a couple questions here. Is Norv playing the vanilla playbook, or is this what we will see during the regular season? I do not expect special plays in the preseason, but the third game should have part of the installed offense to work with.

Is Norv, and the Vikings offense, prepared to face the eight and nine man fronts, run blitz schemes, and other packages NFL teams will bring when AP is in the game? The defenses have been generic in the preseason; one should expect big changes in defensive schemes, plays, formations, and the needed reads starting week one.

i was talking with my dad about this, he even mentioned some of the plays, so i went back and watched some of them, then went through some older highlights of games where norv was HC.

there is a lot of
- multi level routes, this will put a lot of saftey's and cb's in confusion.. and open up areas where wr's and TE's will be arriving. also i've noticed that norv's routes help setup other routes. pulling lb's or dragging a cb out of place.

2 things i take away from this,
- Matt will have lanes to throw, and if his play action is better then ponders.. there should be some solid and open routes to hit.

- rb's coming out of the backfield will have 10 yard spaces in which to catch and run. i noticed this when teddy was getting a lot of blitzes, and should be the key to open up the running lanes for AD.

man i'm excited for the season to start!

DiGiTaL