PDA

View Full Version : Souhan: Vikings realizing error, and cost, of drafting Ponder Article by: JIM SOUHAN

MaxVike
08-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Souhan: Vikings realizing error, and cost, of drafting Ponder
Article by: JIM SOUHAN , Star Tribune Updated: August 18, 2014 - 9:39 AM

Does this make it official?

Souhan: Vikings realizing error, and cost, of drafting Ponder | Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/271618261.html)

Minniman
08-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Does this make it official?

Souhan: Vikings realizing error, and cost, of drafting Ponder | Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/271618261.html)
It was official enough here last season.

MaxVike
08-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Ha, I almost added that to my question… Meaning, PP.O had come to this conclusion awhile back…so, does Souhan's article make it official?

Either way, I'm not looking back…I've tried to give that up, but, the biggest F up, with respect to Souhan, was taking Darrin Nelson and not Marcus Allen. Seriously, that, was a no fucking brainer at the time…

JPPT1974
08-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Vikings probably would had been better taking Marcus. As he would do wonders with the team. Lead the team over the Super Bowls!

gregair13
08-20-2014, 02:04 AM
National Football League: NFL Draft History (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2011&round=round1#round1)

12 Minnesota Vikings Christian Ponder QB Florida State

14 St. Louis Rams Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
35 Cincinnati Bengals Andy Dalton QB Texas Christian

43 Minnesota Vikings Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

Don't feel too too bad. There is a lot of garbage between the Ponder pick and our next pick with Rudolph. Literally only two players that would have been better choices.

Hindsight is 20-20

129 Denver Broncos Julius Thomas TE Portland State
154 Seattle Seahawks Richard Sherman DB Stanford
242 Seattle Seahawks Malcolm Smith LB USC

C Mac D
08-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Considering I realized this 3 seconds after we drafted him and immediately referred to it as "My darkest day as a Vikings fan..." I think maybe the Vikings brass is a bit slow on the up-take.

Gotta appreciate Rick Spielman's talent for keeping his job. It's truly astounding.

purplehelmut
08-20-2014, 11:28 AM
I was dumbfounded when we drafted Ponder. I hoped the so-called "intelligent" kid would work out, but it was evident early on that he did not have the tools to succeed as an NFL QB. And CMac is right- how Spielman continues to be employed is a true mystery. I've not seen anything from him that makes him seemingly indispensable.

tastywaves
08-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Considering I realized this 3 seconds after we drafted him and immediately referred to it as "My darkest day as a Vikings fan..." I think maybe the Vikings brass is a bit slow on the up-take.

Gotta appreciate Rick Spielman's talent for keeping his job. It's truly astounding.

Actually, I doubt anyone considers that at all.

C Mac D
08-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Actually, I doubt anyone considers that at all.
Yeah, well, my Mom thinks I'm cool.

tastywaves
08-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Yeah, well, my Mom thinks I'm cool.

Is she a Vikings fan?

C Mac D
08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Is she a Vikings fan?

No, she sees how much pain they bring me.

MaxVike
08-20-2014, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure why I read anyone else's articles…considering that you are always right, just wondering, do you have a Twitter, so I can just follow you? :rofl:

BTW…darkest day as a Vikings fan? Whereas the Draft is an emotional day, see my comments re: Darrin Nelson vs Marcus Allen… Draft hindsight is absolutely no comparison to the pain of the Hail Mary, the '98 missed FG, the same the '09 choke in the Superdome.

Minniman
08-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Considering I realized this 3 seconds after we drafted him and immediately referred to it as "My darkest day as a Vikings fan..."
Not mine ... the 2005 draft almost got me fired at work. I did not know Troy Williamson was going to be THAT bad, but six of the next eight players drafted went to the Pro Bowl at least once. I was hoping for Mark Clayton in the second round (he was drafted in the first).

Even so, I was livid watching the Vikings pass on Aaron Rodgers TWICE and then having him fall to the archenemy Packers?

The Vikings drafted Dustin Fox when Marion Barber III was on the board. Then, the Vikings drafted Ciatrick Fason with Darren Sproles from Kansas State on the board. Vikings fans told me that Rodgers and Sproles would be busts, but it did not turn out that way.

By the way, Matt Cassel was drafted in the 7th round with Minnesota's pick.

PackSux!
08-20-2014, 10:09 PM

The fact that we traded up in 1995 to draft Derrick Alexander over Warren Sapp was a very dark day in Minnesota Vikings history.

Imagine John Randle and Warren Sapp playing side by side. We could go on and on about the fuck ups that the Vikings have done in the draft, but this one stands out to me the most.

vikinggreg
08-20-2014, 11:19 PM

My darkest day as a Vikings fan would be the death of Korey Stringer

Other notable dark days would be the boat scandal, then Walker trade, Moss trade with the duel first round busts of Williamson/James to follow it up, missing getting first round pick on time and drafting a guy that did want to play football in the first round, 12 men in the huddle, Anderson miss, Les Steckel, replacement players, Red McCombs, Giants 41 nothing stomping, Drew Pearson Hail Mary push off, and a few Super Bowl short falls

uhm no Ponder bust doesn't quite cut it and Spielman doesn't get a chair at the oh shit table yet

C Mac D
08-21-2014, 09:14 AM
My darkest day as a Vikings fan would be the death of Korey Stringer

Amen to that.

Drafting Ponder was my 2nd darkest day as a Vikings fan.

Personally, my happiest day as a Vikings fan was when Childress was fired.

C Mac D
08-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure why I read anyone else's articles…considering that you are always right, just wondering, do you have a Twitter, so I can just follow you? :rofl:

BTW…darkest day as a Vikings fan? Whereas the Draft is an emotional day, see my comments re: Darrin Nelson vs Marcus Allen… Draft hindsight is absolutely no comparison to the pain of the Hail Mary, the '98 missed FG, the same the '09 choke in the Superdome.

Do I sense sarcasm?!?!

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Dr.-Steve-Brule-Confused-Cross-Eyed-Gif.gif

purplehelmut
08-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Darkest days for me are easily the four Super Bowl defeats. Others mentioned are in the conversation but none compare to those days. Remember, there was a week or two of anticipation that built up before those games.

MaxVike
08-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Do I sense sarcasm?!?!

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Dr.-Steve-Brule-Confused-Cross-Eyed-Gif.gif

Yessir, you are correct! In this instance, your signature is incorrect!

tarkenton10
08-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I was dumbfounded when we drafted Ponder. I hoped the so-called "intelligent" kid would work out, but it was evident early on that he did not have the tools to succeed as an NFL QB. And CMac is right- how Spielman continues to be employed is a true mystery. I've not seen anything from him that makes him seemingly indispensable.

While Ponder was a mistake, Spielman has put together two excellent drafts and could make us contenders with a couple of more drafts like 2013 and 2014. I was shocked with the Ponder pick also, I wanted to grab Quinn. I thought if we wanted Ponder we could have traded back into the first round and got him anyway. Maybe that mistake was for the better though because that seems to be Spielman's MO now, so there may be a silver lining to this mess.