PDA

View Full Version : Moss deserving of having his No. 84 retired

singersp
07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Randy Moss deserving of having his No. 84 retired by Vikings

Zulgad: Randy Moss deserving of having his No. 84 retired by Vikings | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities - Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Randy_Moss_deserving_of_having_his_No_84_retired_by_Vikings071014)

faninphx
07-13-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't agree with retiring 84. First, for practical reasons. We already have 2 numbers in the 80's retired. If we retire a third, future receivers will have slim pickins. Second, I don't think he was around quite long enough for jersey retirement (although that's our fault). Seven years and one month? Not for me.
Besides, the #84 story is still being written. Flash will bring it to greatness once again.

Mark_The_Viking
07-14-2014, 02:30 AM
I don't think h's up there to have his number retired and CPee is hopefully going to amke it great. Be interesting if CPee puts up Moss like figures for the next 10 yeasr and they then decide to retire it for him

AngloVike
07-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Have to say I'm not in favour of #84 being retired, if they want to add Moss to the Ring of Honor then that's a possibility but, IMO, he didn't do enough to put himself in the elite class that warrants a number being retired.
To my mind ( as small an area as that is ) that sort of honour goes to someone who was a credit to the organisation both on and off the field and, based on that, Moss doesn't fulfill the criteria. I liked him as a receiver and he put up great numbers but he wasn't the 'complete package' in my mind to warrant such recognition from the organisation. Just my two pennyworth :D

purplehelmut
07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
It's a very short list of retired Vikings numbers so it must be a pretty tough criteria to get on it. Yes, Moss was must see TV for about 7 years. He was probably the most exciting player, along with Foreman, I ever saw on a Vikings offense. But if that retired number list hasn't yet included the likes of Eller, Yary, Randle, Foreman, Krause, Brown, Browner, Studwell, and Doleman, to name several possibly deserving to have that honor, I don't see Moss as part of that list. But he was a singular talent and fun to watch. Definitely made defenses respect the deep ball, and therefore adjust their defensive schemes, in a way we haven't seen since.

Minniman
07-16-2014, 10:31 AM
It's a very short list of retired Vikings numbers so it must be a pretty tough criteria to get on it. ... But if that retired number list hasn't yet included the likes of Eller, Yary, Randle, Foreman, Krause, Brown, Browner, Studwell, and Doleman, to name several possibly deserving to have that honor, I don't see Moss as part of that list.
Eller, Yary, Randle, Krause, Doleman, Zimmerman, and McDaniel are all NFL Hall of Fame players, and none of them have retired jerseys.

Mick Tingelhoff (53), Jim Marshall (70), and Korey Stringer (77) have retired jerseys, and none of them are in the Hall of Fame.

If I was the Vikings owner, I would only retire NFL Hall of Fame players, and I would only retire the number for 25 years. If a player lives long enough to see his number un-retired, all the better for him for living that long.

Randy Moss will be in the NFL Hall of Fame. Had the Patriots completed the perfect season with a Superbowl win, he would have been a first ballot selection for sure.