PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Football Dreams Are Over? (For Vikings)

5vikingsrule6
04-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Looks like we are trying for defense first (which I don't think is a bad thing!) and trying to snag this stud in the 2nd round… Zach Mettenberger from LSU

NFL | Report: Vikings eye Mettenberger in 2nd round - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/286064/report-vikings-eye-mettenberger-in-2nd-round)

drewlovs
04-06-2014, 07:35 PM
There is a month left on speculation. NO ONE'S dream is over ATM.

snowinapril
04-06-2014, 10:48 PM
There is a month left on speculation. NO ONE'S dream is over ATM.

LOL, was that meant to be aTm.

ATM

tarkenton10
04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Looks like we are trying for defense first (which I don't think is a bad thing!) and trying to snag this stud in the 2nd round… Zach Mettenberger from LSU

NFL | Report: Vikings eye Mettenberger in 2nd round - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/286064/report-vikings-eye-mettenberger-in-2nd-round)

If we pass on Manziel and Bortles, Mettenberger is the guy I want. He is a first round talent but he had some off filed issues and then blew out his knee (ACL). Great size and has one of the strongest arms in the draft. Great presence in the pocket and a good leader. The knock on him is that he locks onto his target and allows DBs to close on WRs. IMO Turner could work with this guy, very similar to Bortles with a bigger arm.

313zoe
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Hopefully tha won't draft him at 8 they need to go defense wit that first round pick

drewlovs
04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Hopefully tha won't draft him at 8 they need to go defense wit that first round pick

Second round, and not before. I really think Zimmer and Spielman do not expect Manziel to fall to them now, so they are looking for a second option in case a stud defensive player drops to 8... OR more likely, they are going to trade back to get more picks and know they will need to get their QB in the second round or later.

That they are looking beyond the top 4 QBs doesn't surprise me, it actually makes me happy; they are running through the most likely scenarios. For the record, I REALLY like Manziel if we draft a QB at 8, and Mettenberger if we wait until the 2nd round. Garopollo reminds me of Ponder WAAAYYY too much.

tarkenton10
04-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Second round, and not before. I really think Zimmer and Spielman do not expect Manziel to fall to them now, so they are looking for a second option in case a stud defensive player drops to 8... OR more likely, they are going to trade back to get more picks and know they will need to get their QB in the second round or later.

That they are looking beyond the top 4 QBs doesn't surprise me, it actually makes me happy; they are running through the most likely scenarios. For the record, I REALLY like Manziel if we draft a QB at 8, and Mettenberger if we wait until the 2nd round. Garopollo reminds me of Ponder WAAAYYY too much.

+1

gamecocksbaseball31
04-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Don't mind Mettenberger, but each day I have more love for AJ McCarron. The guy is a winner and reminds me of Russell Wilson in the fact that he gets the attention of guys around him and can lead a football team.

MaxVike
04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Don't mind Mettenberger, but each day I have more love for AJ McCarron. The guy is a winner and reminds me of Russell Wilson in the fact that he gets the attention of guys around him and can lead a football team.

I like McCarron too…but, he's got a lot in common with Ponder, in that, his wife is hot. Katherine Webb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Webb)

:think:

Ted Dibiase
04-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I like McCarron too…but, he's got a lot in common with Ponder, in that, his wife is hot. Katherine Webb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Webb)

:think:
I like to think I'm a fairly confident guy but I wouldn't even know what to do with Bortles' girlfriend.

tastywaves
04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Let that be a lesson to all those young boys out there. Go out in the yard, grab a football, and practice throwing it through a tire. Or something like that.

MaxVike
04-07-2014, 10:58 PM
I like to think I'm a fairly confident guy but I wouldn't even know what to do with Bortles' girlfriend.

Ah, I hear ya…holy sh++ https://www.google.com/search?q=lindsey+duke&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DmVDU6qeFqOD0AGvpYCYBA&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1347&bih=712

vikinggreg
04-08-2014, 12:35 AM
This was the guy I was leaning towards before his knee injury, I could see him playing outside for the Vikes at home in December but was worried about the knee.

tarkenton10
04-08-2014, 09:16 AM
This was the guy I was leaning towards before his knee injury, I could see him playing outside for the Vikes at home in December but was worried about the knee.

I am not that worried about his knee, he is not a RB or a WR. He is not even an RGIII, he is a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning type (obviously, I don't mean he is going to be a HOF QB). He is a pocket passer with a big arm and good leadership in the huddle. If I am concerned about anything it is with his off the field issues, but I think he has grown up and should be a good pro.

purpledoom
04-08-2014, 09:32 AM
I've said all along I like Manziel followed by McCarron. Clowney's not going to be there at 8 and I seriously doubt Mack will be either, so you're probably looking at a quarterback, like it or not.

vikinggreg
04-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I am not that worried about his knee, he is not a RB or a WR. He is not even an RGIII, he is a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning type (obviously, I don't mean he is going to be a HOF QB). He is a pocket passer with a big arm and good leadership in the huddle. If I am concerned about anything it is with his off the field issues, but I think he has grown up and should be a good pro. From what I had heard before his injury were several comparisons to Ben Roethisberger based on his arm strength and stature with nothing to do with any of Bens other issues. Also heard Zach was a linebacker in high school when he was converted to quarterback out of a need at the position and that he picked it up quickly, his throwing motion, due to his baseball experience. I do like the idea of the Vikes drafting Zach over Johnny football (2nd round) and avoiding all the red flags that hover around Manziel. I have a hard time seeing Manziel scrambling around at TCF in December and January with a good out come in the end.

tarkenton10
04-08-2014, 10:27 AM

I like McCarron also, he is a winner. If I were to list them in the order in which I would draft them it would be:

1. Bortles
2. Manziel
3. Mettenberger
4. McCarron
5. Carr
6. Savage

rockymtdan
04-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Ah, I hear ya…holy sh++ https://www.google.com/search?q=lindsey+duke&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DmVDU6qeFqOD0AGvpYCYBA&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1347&bih=712
That could waste my whole day, but does make for a good screen saver

NeoVikesTX
04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I like McCarron also, he is a winner. If I were to list them in the order in which I would draft them it would be:

1. Bortles
2. Manziel
3. Mettenberger
4. McCarron
5. Carr
6. Savage

No Bridgewater?

tarkenton10
04-08-2014, 01:10 PM
No Bridgewater?
I forgot about Bridgewater because I would take Bortles and Manziel over Bridgewater so I thought he would not be there. I would not take Bridgewater with our first pick but if I had to place him in the order I would put him behind Mettenberger. I know a lot of people are high on Bridgewater and he could be a great pro and I think he will be a starter but that is about it. I know I could be wrong that is just the impression I get. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Bridgewater in the middle of the first round but not with the 8th pick.

C Mac D
04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah, we're not getting Manziel... but we did just sign LESTER JEAN!!!

Hello Super Bowl, here we come!

MaxVike
04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
That could waste my whole day, but does make for a good screen saver

:rofl:

tastywaves
04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah, we're not getting Manziel... but we did just sign LESTER JEAN!!!

Hello Super Bowl, here we come!

I believe it's actually Lestar. The name alone has to be worth a chance. Pretty sure his momma knew he was going to be a star some day, either that or she was a big fan of the bridal company.

purplepat
04-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Depending on who falls to #8, not sure I want to take a QB there.

I do not want Manziel, though if the Vikings take him I will root like hell for him to be successful.

Not wild about Mettenberger. Strong arm, yes, but a statue in the pocket and makes plenty of bad decisions. Plus, plead guilty to sexual assault (grabbing a girls boobs and butt). If the Vikes took him, wouldn't want him before the 3rd round.

Bridgewater's pro day scared me a lot, but the more I read, the more comfortable I feel about taking him. And if you want him, it would probably have to be at #8

But the guy I'm really targeting is Garoppolo, assuming we could get him in the 2nd round (or not have to trade away anything more than our late 3rd or our 4th round pick to move up to get him). Has some concerns, but also a lot of positive qualities. And it would allow us to focus on getting a stud OLB or WR at #8...though a backup plan of Bridgewater at #8 and Van Noy at #40 isn't a bad way to go.

VikesfaninWis
04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Good idea here. Mettenberger, McCarron, and Garappalo (or however you spell his name) would be good picks in the second rd. I love the idea of getting a beast like Mack in the first rd.

drewlovs
04-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Depending on who falls to #8, not sure I want to take a QB there.

I do not want Manziel, though if the Vikings take him I will root like hell for him to be successful.

Not wild about Mettenberger. Strong arm, yes, but a statue in the pocket and makes plenty of bad decisions. Plus, plead guilty to sexual assault (grabbing a girls boobs and butt). If the Vikes took him, wouldn't want him before the 3rd round.

Bridgewater's pro day scared me a lot, but the more I read, the more comfortable I feel about taking him. And if you want him, it would probably have to be at #8

But the guy I'm really targeting is Garoppolo, assuming we could get him in the 2nd round (or not have to trade away anything more than our late 3rd or our 4th round pick to move up to get him). Has some concerns, but also a lot of positive qualities. And it would allow us to focus on getting a stud OLB or WR at #8...though a backup plan of Bridgewater at #8 and Van Noy at #40 isn't a bad way to go.

Garappolo really give me the heebee geebees. I don't know why, but he reminds me of Ponder a LOT. McCarron looks better, but again, the fire I've seen in other QBs just doesn't seem to be there. I guess this is why finding a great QB is so frikkin hard!!

Bridgewater has red flags that are a LOT more serious than Manziels, in that there are rumors among players that you can rattle him, and if you can be rattled in College, you WILL be rattled in the NFL. It in inevitable.

I am hoping for one the defensive stars at 8, Manziel or Bortles, or we trade down. Unfortunately, we might be going all in on Bridgewater, which means I'm going to be a bit queasy until we see him in action.

Jarlvik
04-17-2014, 05:59 PM
I agree about Bridgewater. Small hands (not good for TCF) and seems timid. Slight build. I'm kinda intrigued by Savage in the 2nd (3rd?) if Mett isn't there.

drewlovs
04-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Just to take this back to the original poster's point, I do NOT think the Vikings have decided against Manziel. I refuse to believe anyone that insists they are sure we are doing anything, I won't believe anything until a week before the draft. Then I'll believe about 10% of what's out there.

Until then, I'm hoping for Manziel at 8, BPA, or we trade back.

VikingsFan1234
04-19-2014, 04:00 AM
Zimmer said that Johnny is like a sideshow or something like that, it is obvious that Zimmer is not impressed

midgensa
04-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Zimmer said that Johnny is like a sideshow or something like that, it is obvious that Zimmer is not impressed

It is obvious that Zimmer SAYS he is not impressed.

purpleblood32
04-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Johnny football wont be there at 8th pick .we wont move up to get him ..if bridgewater is at 8 i say pass ...take best avaialable on there stacked board ...probbolly a lb ...

singersp
04-19-2014, 10:16 AM
..if bridgewater is at 8 i say pass ...take best avaialable on there stacked board ...probbolly a lb ...

Have the Vikings Already Drafted Teddy Bridgewater?

hevikingage.com/2014/04/17/vikings-already-virtually-drafted-teddy-bridgewater/

singersp
04-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Gruden: Manziel 'has a lot of magic to him,' compares to Favre

Gruden: Manziel 'has a lot of magic to him,' compares to Favre - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000342201/article/gruden-manziel-has-a-lot-of-magic-to-him-compares-to-favre)

mountainviking
04-19-2014, 10:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-johnny-manziel-mystery--biggest-questions-gms-coaches-have-in-evaluating-qb-for-draft-065903391-nfl.html

Pretty interesting read, definitely left me with more questions than answers.

PackSux!
04-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Gruden: Manziel 'has a lot of magic to him,' compares to Favre

Gruden: Manziel 'has a lot of magic to him,' compares to Favre - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000342201/article/gruden-manziel-has-a-lot-of-magic-to-him-compares-to-favre)

During his Show Gruden also compared Johnny's will to win to Favre's. After watching the episode I found myself on the Johnny Football bandwagon.

Gruden really loved this highlight.

Johnny Football Manziel - Never Give Up - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8miZNzyIQ)

singersp
04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
The risk/reward of Johnny Manziel

The risk/reward of Johnny Manziel | Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/255885521.html)

Ranger
04-20-2014, 10:43 AM
During his Show Gruden also compared Johnny's will to win to Favre's. After watching the episode I found myself on the Johnny Football bandwagon.

Gruden really loved this highlight.

Johnny Football Manziel - Never Give Up - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8miZNzyIQ)

Wow. That is one of the more impressive plays I've seen from a guy.