PDA

View Full Version : A Ponder-esque Dilemma

singersp
03-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Minnesota Vikings could face Christian Ponder-esque quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick

NFL draft 2014: Minnesota Vikings could face Christian Ponder-esque quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick | PennLive.com (http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/nfl_draft_2014_minnesota_vikin.html)

jargomcfargo
03-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Minnesota Vikings could face Christian Ponder-esque quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick

NFL draft 2014: Minnesota Vikings could face Christian Ponder-esque quarterback dilemma with No. 8 pick | PennLive.com (http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/nfl_draft_2014_minnesota_vikin.html)
I haven't seen a lot of the games the top three college QB's have played, but I have seen some. I don't see any of these guys as worthy of a top 10 pick.
None of them appears to be an easy transition to the NFL. Draft day should be very interesting. I will be very surprised if Spielman reaches for a QB in the first round again.

tastywaves
03-18-2014, 11:05 AM
I haven't seen a lot of the games the top three college QB's have played, but I have seen some. I don't see any of these guys as worthy of a top 10 pick.
None of them appears to be an easy transition to the NFL. Draft day should be very interesting. I will be very surprised if Spielman reaches for a QB in the first round again.

If they pull the trigger on a QB early, I don't think it will be Spielman driving that decision as much as Norv/Zimmer and crew convincing him that a particular guy is worthy. Especially after the Ponder hits he's taken.

drewlovs
03-18-2014, 11:27 AM
If they pull the trigger on a QB early, I don't think it will be Spielman driving that decision as much as Norv/Zimmer and crew convincing him that a particular guy is worthy. Especially after the Ponder hits he's taken.

I read an article that said that Zimmer likes Bortles, then Manziel... but not for this season (hence, the Cassel signing). If either are there at #8, I think they WILL pull the trigger.

keystonevike
03-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Cassel should (will) start. Norv will work with Ponder to see if there's anything there. I trust Norv more than Musgrave & crew to determine Ponder's worth going forward. As for the draft, maybe go D or OL in 1st round, as all the top QBs have specific question marks. As for the second round, maybe take a look at AJ McCarron. I believe the kid has an "it" factor that can't be ignored. He's been a proven winner at one of college football's elite programs and while he's not the type you would want to throw in there right away, we have the luxury of not having to. Not saying "yeah, draft him" but give him a good look as he may even be available in third round, which makes it less of a risk.

drewlovs
03-18-2014, 06:06 PM
McCarron to me is a "game manager" on steroids. If he goes to the right team, he will shine; if he doesn't, he is a bust.

QBs like Manziel and Bridgewater (to ME personally) will shine no matter which team they go to, and I also think Manziel might just be THE guy. No matter what is thrown at him, he doesn't fall apart, and the decisions he makes are inventive and unpredictable.

Call it my love for spontaneous (I'm VERY white bread, but I tend to surround myself with colorful people), but there is something about Johnny Football that draws me. I love the guy's playing style.

In the end, why NOT take the risk if he is still there at #8? We have dealt with sooo many bad or under-performing QBs, one more QB bust won't kill us; and if Manziel turns out to be a good QB, he will be a GREAT QB. There is NO "halfway" in the world of Johnny Football.

purpleblood32
03-18-2014, 08:29 PM
i agree if johny football is there we will take him ...

now if we dont and we get to the 2nd pick im not so sure we grab a qb with this pick either
there my be more value at wr cb dl....just because are man isnt there at 8 doesnt automatically pick one with the 2nd .sounds like we can get a day one starter with the 2nd pick ...a qb at number2 is still a work in progress...hell we have cassel.

313zoe
03-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Tha vikings should trade cassel, ponder this year 1st and 2nd round draft pick and a 3rd round draft pick next year for Cam Newton it's clear to see they dnt have that much money and they let they whole WR core frm last season walk wit sum key defense player and tha panthers GM is losing his mind right now so this trade dnt sound bad and they can draft a QB in this draft and save sum cap space and they will have a veteran QB in cassel

MaxVike
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Tha vikings should trade cassel, ponder this year 1st and 2nd round draft pick and a 3rd round draft pick next year for Cam Newton it's clear to see they dnt have that much money and they let they whole WR core frm last season walk wit sum key defense player and tha panthers GM is losing his mind right now so this trade dnt sound bad and they can draft a QB in this draft and save sum cap space and they will have a veteran QB in cassel

What???

313zoe
03-18-2014, 09:27 PM
It would be nice

VikesfaninWis
03-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I think the Vikes should go LB in the first rd, then take a QB in the second rd. McCarron or Carr will be there in the second rd and could benefit from sitting behind Cassel and learning from both Cassel and Turner. Don't reach on another QB, I hope they learned their lesson from the Ponder pick.

I remember the 2011 draft. I left work and got home just as the Vikings are going on the clock. My buddy calls me and says who are they going with? He then said I think it's Ponder. I said no fucking way, the guy can't throw on the run, he has a weak arm, he is not accurate, and he just doesn't get it. Then I hear, with the 12th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select Christian Ponder QB Fla State. Then my wife hears me say Fuck. Ponder would have been there in the 2nd rd, he was slated to go in the 2nd rd and the Vikings for whatever reason reached big time and took a QB that wasn't that good in college and labeled him a franchise QB. Don't do it again.

ejmat2
03-19-2014, 12:50 PM
I personally don't want them drafting a QB at 8 either. I like Carr, McCarron or even Mettenberger for the 2nd round. I hope they don't reach again. If Cassell gets protection he will be good enough. Not the best as far as I'm concerned but good enough to win games especially with an OC that can coach.

bleedpurple
03-19-2014, 01:03 PM
I personally don't want them drafting a QB at 8 either. I like Carr, McCarron or even Mettenberger for the 2nd round. I hope they don't reach again. If Cassell gets protection he will be good enough. Not the best as far as I'm concerned but good enough to win games especially with an OC that can coach.

only if they get one of the top 3 should they even consider a qb.... i personally want bridgewater...

tarkenton10
03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
only if they get one of the top 3 should they even consider a qb.... i personally want bridgewater...

Did you see his pro day!??!! I don't want him and never have, I would take Bortles or Manziel though.

kevoncox
03-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Did you see his pro day!??!! I don't want him and never have, I would take Bortles or Manziel though.

What is it you like about Bortles. His paltry stats, the fact that he was unknown until the offseason?

kevoncox
03-19-2014, 02:54 PM
If Bridgewater is there we should take him. Just like a good pro day shouldn't determine if a play moves up, a bad one should not erase great film. The guy completed 71% of his passes, is extremely mature, intelligent and mobile enough.

tastywaves
03-19-2014, 03:03 PM
What is it you like about Bortles. His paltry stats, the fact that he was unknown until the offseason?

Here's what CBS said about his Bortles Pro day:

LOOK: Here's the script for Blake Bortles' pro day at UCF - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24491742/look-heres-the-script-for-blake-bortles-pro-day-at-ucf)

Bortles, the potential No. 1 overall pick has been solid (if not necessarily spectacular), particularly when compared to the disappointing pro day earlier this week by Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater.

Zimmer was in attendance, so he'll get a good view of the guy.

Just like pro day performances can be a bad indicator, so can college stats as we've seen over and over again.

kevoncox
03-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Here's what CBS said about his Bortles Pro day:

LOOK: Here's the script for Blake Bortles' pro day at UCF - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24491742/look-heres-the-script-for-blake-bortles-pro-day-at-ucf)

Zimmer was in attendance, so he'll get a good view of the guy.

Just like pro day performances can be a bad indicator, so can college stats as we've seen over and over again.

Right but i would take college stats and film over a pro day any day of the week.

kevoncox
03-19-2014, 04:35 PM
I guess my point is who is Bortles. He has has come out of no where. Once Headley and The kid from Ore pulled out... this guy shot up the charts and keeps climbing. I'm not sold. I missed every game he has ever played and while potential is the buzz word with him. I need to see it on the field. Would rather the smart, talented, Bridgewater.

jargomcfargo
03-19-2014, 05:51 PM
I guess my point is who is Bortles. He has has come out of no where. Once Headley and The kid from Ore pulled out... this guy shot up the charts and keeps climbing. I'm not sold. I missed every game he has ever played and while potential is the buzz word with him. I need to see it on the field. Would rather the smart, talented, Bridgewater.
Watch some of his game tape, you may change your mind.

mountainviking
03-19-2014, 05:53 PM
I think Bridgewater gives us the highest chance of winning now. His accuracy is top notch. His completion percentage from last year was higher than any QB in the NFL who threw 50 or more attempts. His particular skill that impresses the most and makes him potentially special at the position is how he plays vs. the blitz and with pressure in his face, completing nearly 80% of his passes when under duress.

I had to dig a bit to find it again, but the article below is well worth a read, going pretty deep breaking down the top 4 QBs and where/when/how they achieved their statistical success. Sure, stats is a small part of the whole picture, but a significant part none the less...you want to see some signs of success, and presumably, more Ws than Ls.

2014's Quarterback Conundrum - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum)

At the moment, my guess is the pick will be QB if one of the top 3; Bortles, Bridgewater or Manziel, happen to get to pick 8. Otherwise defense, and hopefully after a move back.

Personally, I like a couple of guys like Mettenberger and McCarron nearly as much as those three, and better than Carr...one of those guys might be there the 8th pick of the third, or, if we start getting sweaty palms waiting, we could give up both our thirds to get back into the back end of the 2nd to snag our signal caller of choice...while still adding 2 other immediate difference makers at positions of need like LB and LG, or CB.

kevoncox
03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Watch some of his game tape, you may change your mind.

I'm not biting. I know when guys shoot up boards at the end of the eyar it is almost always fools gold. I watched some draft tapes of his but I saw nothing better than Bridge.

Ted Dibiase
03-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Bridgewater looks much better on tape IMO. One thing for sure though...the Vikes won't be choosing between the two. One MAY be there, and we'll probably take him if he is. Manziel...that's tough to say. It will be interesting. Strange to think it's still almost two months away.

MaxVike
03-19-2014, 11:55 PM
I would love to go to Happy Hour at a bar in Minny with a few of y'all and Zimm, Norv, and (yes) Spielman, and just watch/listen to some of us PP.Oers debate our points with true pros.

Regardless of the points, many valid, the likelihood that Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Mettenberger, McCarron, Carr, Fales, or Garropolo all succeed, or most, is unlikely. The odds that two, possibly three, succeed, is more likely. Of course, the definition of "succeed" is widely varied, and depends on your lens. Did Tommy Kramer succeed? Wade Wilson? Rich Gannon?

Arguments can be made for drafting each and everyone of them, depending on strategy and scenario.

By the way, I've seen mention to the "watch film on 'him'," as a challenge to some points. Kevon, are you watching the same film as Zimm, Norv, Spielman, etc.? If so, cool. If not, stop.

Yes, I have opinions too... I think if any of the "top 3" QBs are available at #8, the trigger will be pulled. If not, Mettenberger is the target.

Mark_The_Viking
03-20-2014, 03:11 AM
If McCarron is going to be there in the 2nd then picking up a OL or Dl guy is a no brainer. Our LB suffered last year and this would be a good time to upgrade. IS there any news on Zimmer changing the format to a 3-4?

mountainviking
03-20-2014, 10:32 AM
If McCarron is going to be there in the 2nd then picking up a OL or Dl guy is a no brainer. Our LB suffered last year and this would be a good time to upgrade. IS there any news on Zimmer changing the format to a 3-4?

I'm pretty sure there was an interview somewhere with him stating that he preferred the 4-3 and would be running that as a base defense (as he did in CIN.) But that we may see some different looks including a bit of 3-4 mixed in. Also, we've added zero LBs, so at the moment, we'd have a hard time pulling 3 starters out of that group much less 4...while we seem to have built up a pretty strong starting lineup of Robison-Joseph-Floyd-Griffen for the front four.

At the moment, I guess I like Bortles best...he's got the size, and looked like a star in his bowl game vs. no.6 ranked Baylor who were favored by 17 points (I think?) But, it is going to be a major change in competition level from his schedule to the NFL, and he would most likely be best served with a year of sitting, simmering and improving his foundations.

Bridgewater has the best accuracy and most success, but also played lesser competition and does have the dreaded "small hands syndrome," as in his are closer to 9" long while Manziel's are 10.

Manziel might be the most fun to watch, but may need the most refining to playing from the pocket. Despite the knock on his passing tho, he did throw the most "deep balls" of over 20 yards, and also had the highest completion % on those throws. His elusive scrambling ability is something special, and buying time for your WRs to get open downfield improves the chance of deep ball success. Something that might fit very well with all the attention Mr. Peterson brings to the LOS.

So, I'm kind of torn in that I might prefer some of the superstar defenders that are available early in this draft, but will also be fine with any one of these three if our pros (who know way more than me having watched way more tape and actually talked to them, their coaches and extended families) make the decision that they can be our QBotF.

tarkenton10
03-20-2014, 10:39 AM

I watched Bortles play in a few games and I watched him beat Penn state. He appears to be a good leader in the huddle and a clutch player (beating Louisville and Bridgewater in the last minutes). He has the measurable as far as height, weight, arm. I think with Turner he may be able to become the next Roethlisberger. Bridgewater is not that big and I worry about his durability and his accuracy .

tastywaves
03-20-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure there was an interview somewhere with him stating that he preferred the 4-3 and would be running that as a base defense (as he did in CIN.) But that we may see some different looks including a bit of 3-4 mixed in. Also, we've added zero LBs, so at the moment, we'd have a hard time pulling 3 starters out of that group much less 4...while we seem to have built up a pretty strong starting lineup of Robison-Joseph-Floyd-Griffen for the front four.

At the moment, I guess I like Bortles best...he's got the size, and looked like a star in his bowl game vs. no.6 ranked Baylor who were favored by 17 points (I think?) But, it is going to be a major change in competition level from his schedule to the NFL, and he would most likely be best served with a year of sitting, simmering and improving his foundations.

Bridgewater has the best accuracy and most success, but also played lesser competition and does have the dreaded "small hands syndrome," as in his are closer to 9" long while Manziel's are 10.

Manziel might be the most fun to watch, but may need the most refining to playing from the pocket. Despite the knock on his passing tho, he did throw the most "deep balls" of over 20 yards, and also had the highest completion % on those throws. His elusive scrambling ability is something special, and buying time for your WRs to get open downfield improves the chance of deep ball success. Something that might fit very well with all the attention Mr. Peterson brings to the LOS.

So, I'm kind of torn in that I might prefer some of the superstar defenders that are available early in this draft, but will also be fine with any one of these three if our pros (who know way more than me having watched way more tape and actually talked to them, their coaches and extended families) make the decision that they can be our QBotF.

That's pretty much the way I see it. 3 completely different QB's that are going to have polarizing opinions from fans and experts alike on their long term viability.

Bridgewater appears the most ready to start of the 3, however, if he gets drafted early he will go to a bad team that will probably ruin him before he gets started, unless its the Texans than he may have a chance. His ceiling seems somewhat set, but that's a pretty empty prediction.

Bortles is the prototypical QB that the NFL seems to drool over. However, he appears to be a bit raw yet and needs some time with a good system to develop properly.

Manziel is a complete wildcard and will bring fans instantly to their franchise. Cleveland keeps being mentioned as the most likely landing spot, which I can see. I would be surprised if Houston takes him. Whoever gets him will get entertainment value and I would not be surprised to see him get put in early in his career. He won't be overwhelmed by the game, but he will be unorthodox and may aggravate the shit out of his coaching staff. Injury concerns will be high as well due to his frame and style of play.

I don't have a very strong opinion on any of them, but I like the idea of Bortles sitting behind Cassell for a year or two and learning the game from the QB coach guru Scott Turner (according to Minniman anyway).

My current vision of how the first 8 picks unfold:

1) Texans - Bridgewater or Bortles .... leaning towards Bortles, but Bridgewater may make more sense if O'Brien wants a start now QB, which he may.
2) St. Louis - OT - Robinson/Mathews
3) Jacksonville - Clowney -- even with the recent DL signings, they are not superstars like this dude should be
4) Cleveland - Manziel, boost for the fanbase
5) Oakland - Watkins -- how can Oakland pass up on a flashy WR, unless they trade for Desean
6) Atlanta - Khalil Mack, lucky Falcons this guy made it this far
7) Tampa Bay - Robinson/Mathews, may take QB as well even though they signed McCown, but the safer pick to fill a real need is OT who happens to be BPA
8) Minnesota - That leaves either Bortles or Bridgewater available along with Barr the two top corners and even Mike Evans if you want to bookend the offense with two tall receivers and let Jennings chew them up in the middle. My guess is they take QB and we have either Bortles or Bridgewater sitting behind Cassell as long as Norv and Zimmer can stand it.

jargomcfargo
03-20-2014, 11:28 AM
I would love to go to Happy Hour at a bar in Minny with a few of y'all and Zimm, Norv, and (yes) Spielman, and just watch/listen to some of us PP.Oers debate our points with true pros.

Regardless of the points, many valid, the likelihood that Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Mettenberger, McCarron, Carr, Fales, or Garropolo all succeed, or most, is unlikely. The odds that two, possibly three, succeed, is more likely. Of course, the definition of "succeed" is widely varied, and depends on your lens. Did Tommy Kramer succeed? Wade Wilson? Rich Gannon?

Arguments can be made for drafting each and everyone of them, depending on strategy and scenario.

By the way, I've seen mention to the "watch film on 'him'," as a challenge to some points. Kevon, are you watching the same film as Zimm, Norv, Spielman, etc.? If so, cool. If not, stop.

Yes, I have opinions too... I think if any of the "top 3" QBs are available at #8, the trigger will be pulled. If not, Mettenberger is the target.
Another thing to consider in taking a QB with this first round pick is how it relates to team building. Teams picking in the top 10 usually need a lot more than a QB to become a good team.
Do you grab a good QB and hope he can be successful on a bad team ? Or is it better to build the team around the QB you have first ?
Drafting a rookie QB onto a bad team doesn't sound like a recipe for success, unless it's Andrew Luck.
I would have no problem with drafting a later round developmental QB and using the earlier pick or picks to build the team around the QB we have.
Impossible to know what Spielman and company will do when you have no inside knowledge, but it is entertaining to speculate.

tarkenton10
03-20-2014, 11:44 AM
That's pretty much the way I see it. 3 completely different QB's that are going to have polarizing opinions from fans and experts alike on their long term viability.

Bridgewater appears the most ready to start of the 3, however, if he gets drafted early he will go to a bad team that will probably ruin him before he gets started, unless its the Texans than he may have a chance. His ceiling seems somewhat set, but that's a pretty empty prediction.

Bortles is the prototypical QB that the NFL seems to drool over. However, he appears to be a bit raw yet and needs some time with a good system to develop properly.

Manziel is a complete wildcard and will bring fans instantly to their franchise. Cleveland keeps being mentioned as the most likely landing spot, which I can see. I would be surprised if Houston takes him. Whoever gets him will get entertainment value and I would not be surprised to see him get put in early in his career. He won't be overwhelmed by the game, but he will be unorthodox and may aggravate the shit out of his coaching staff. Injury concerns will be high as well due to his frame and style of play.

I don't have a very strong opinion on any of them, but I like the idea of Bortles sitting behind Cassell for a year or two and learning the game from the QB coach guru Scott Turner (according to Minniman anyway).
I think you mean Norv, Scott is just along for the ride
My current vision of how the first 8 picks unfold:

1) Texans - Bridgewater or Bortles .... leaning towards Bortles, but Bridgewater may make more sense if O'Brien wants a start now QB, which he may.
2) St. Louis - OT - Robinson/Mathews
3) Jacksonville - Clowney -- even with the recent DL signings, they are not superstars like this dude should be
4) Cleveland - Manziel, boost for the fanbase
5) Oakland - Watkins -- how can Oakland pass up on a flashy WR, unless they trade for Desean
6) Atlanta - Khalil Mack, lucky Falcons this guy made it this far
7) Tampa Bay - Robinson/Mathews, may take QB as well even though they signed McCown, but the safer pick to fill a real need is OT who happens to be BPA
8) Minnesota - That leaves either Bortles or Bridgewater available along with Barr the two top corners and even Mike Evans if you want to bookend the offense with two tall receivers and let Jennings chew them up in the middle. My guess is they take QB and we have either Bortles or Bridgewater sitting behind Cassell as long as Norv and Zimmer can stand it.

IMO O'Brien is not going to take Bridgewater with the first pick, he either will pick Bortles or go with the BPA. So if we are using your logic then Bridgewater will be there for us. I say we trade back if Bortles, Watkins, Mack or Barr are not there. Get another pick and draft Shazier out of OSU. I watched a lot of big ten games and he is a playmaker, add to the fact he just ran a 4.4 during OSU's pro day. That should give us another second round pick.

tastywaves
03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I did mean Scott, that was for Minniman's benefit. If you go back to the thread discussing coaches sons you'll understand.

I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, but there was no logic in my post. Just wild ass guessing with very minimal knowledge.

mountainviking
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
IMO O'Brien is not going to take Bridgewater with the first pick, he either will pick Bortles or go with the BPA. So if we are using your logic then Bridgewater will be there for us. I say we trade back if Bortles, Watkins, Mack or Barr are not there. Get another pick and draft Shazier out of OSU. I watched a lot of big ten games and he is a playmaker, add to the fact he just ran a 4.4 during OSU's pro day. That should give us another second round pick.

I like Shazier too, but after burning up that 4.37(?) 40 he's not likely to fall to us in the 2nd round like previously predicted. On that same line of moving back a few, how about Mosley? I know he's had some injury questions, but if those were answered well by team docs, he may be a great fit as we haven't had a single LBer with coverage skills in what seems like decades and that is supposedly CJ's specialty...

As far as who Houston will go with, I'm a bit surprised nobody is talking about their OL...they were 2nd in the league in QB hits allowed with 113, or just over 7/game average. It's hard to keep your eyes downfield when you know you're about to get pummeled...which will lead to throw aways, INTs and pick sixes. Falcons were 5th worst, and Jags 6th...there could be a bigger run on OL than anybody seems to be predicting...which, could benefit the Vikings! But, I could also see HOU passing on QB til later and giving local boy Keenum or maybe even a restructured Schaub another chance.

NFL Stats: by Team Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true)

Other random thoughts on where the teams ahead of us might go...

I think CLE may be leaning toward Watkins with 4, if the Rams don't snag him at 2, and looking at QB in the 20s or top of the 2nd.

I'm not sold on Donald Penn starting at LT for the Raiders either...there's likely good reason the Bucs let him walk. But they're hard to predict because they need help everywhere. I could see them going with Clowney, Mack, one of the OTs, Watkins, a QB, who knows!?

Despite all the QB talk in Tampa, who do they have to replace Penn at LT?

tarkenton10
03-20-2014, 02:25 PM
I like Shazier too, but after burning up that 4.37(?) 40 he's not likely to fall to us in the 2nd round like previously predicted. On that same line of moving back a few, how about Mosley? I know he's had some injury questions, but if those were answered well by team docs, he may be a great fit as we haven't had a single LBer with coverage skills in what seems like decades and that is supposedly CJ's specialty...

As far as who Houston will go with, I'm a bit surprised nobody is talking about their OL...they were 2nd in the league in QB hits allowed with 113, or just over 7/game average. It's hard to keep your eyes downfield when you know you're about to get pummeled...which will lead to throw aways, INTs and pick sixes. Falcons were 5th worst, and Jags 6th...there could be a bigger run on OL than anybody seems to be predicting...which, could benefit the Vikings! But, I could also see HOU passing on QB til later and giving local boy Keenum or maybe even a restructured Schaub another chance.

NFL Stats: by Team Category (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true)

Other random thoughts on where the teams ahead of us might go...

I think CLE may be leaning toward Watkins with 4, if the Rams don't snag him at 2, and looking at QB in the 20s or top of the 2nd.

I'm not sold on Donald Penn starting at LT for the Raiders either...there's likely good reason the Bucs let him walk. But they're hard to predict because they need help everywhere. I could see them going with Clowney, Mack, one of the OTs, Watkins, a QB, who knows!?

Despite all the QB talk in Tampa, who do they have to replace Penn at LT?
I agree, I was thinking if there isn't a QB there at 8 and Mack, Clowney and Watkins are gone we could trade back and get Shazier, who I think may have just as much potential as Barr. Or we could grab Dennard if we are going to do a lot of press man or Gilbert if we are going to use zone quite a bit. We could then trade up and grab a Mosley or even Cooks if we want to go O with our second pick. We could still take Mettenberger in the middle of the second who I like a lot once you get by the big three. If he isn't there we could try A. J. in the third, he should be there. So many options that is what I love about the draft.

Rage4Order
03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I may be wrong, but I just do not see any of the top 3 qbs worthy of pick 8. I would almost be willing to bet one or 2 of the lower round qbs will have better nfl careers.
Manziel' s game does not fit a Norv Turner QB, not even close. Bridgewater will be another Ponder. Bortles may turn out to be pretty good, eventually but not for a year or 2. So that makes picking him at 8 not worth it. There are no great QBs in this draft, so they have been overrated.

drewlovs
03-20-2014, 03:01 PM
I think Bridgewater is the most "NFL ready" QB in the draft, which means nothing. Bortles is the "proto-typical" QB, and fits with what people THINK is a good QB. Either of these 2 might be a great QB, or a bust; we have nothing to tell us which way they will go.

Manziel is the guy that will either be a elite QB or a huge bust, and I don't think there is much between. As such, my betting heart REALLY wants to see him in purple. We have rolled the dice on "safe" picks, and got just as burnt as we will be if Manziel lays an egg.

In the end, I trust our coaches and GM (for now). If they don't do what I want them to, I won't throw a fit; for the first time in a long time, I truly believe our decision makers know a hell of a lot more about this than I do!

Judging from what I've see, the top 6 "no miss" players are:
Barr
Clowney
Mack
Watkins
Matthews
Robinson
All these guys will have careers in the NFL, some of which might be HoF careers. Add:
Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater
Gilbert
Evans
...and it looks like we could have a great 1st round pick no matter WHAT direction we go in. Judging from their FA moves, I do not expect to be surprised in a bad way whatever they do. Surprise might be in order, say if we get one of those OTs, but in the end, it will just make me more excited to see what they DO with the pick.

mountainviking
03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
...and it looks like we could have a great 1st round pick no matter WHAT direction we go in. Judging from their FA moves, I do not expect to be surprised in a bad way whatever they do.

That is what I'm kind of starting to think too...I like our FA moves and with plenty of talent available that fits our needs, it had damn well better be a good pick!! ;)

Latest Drafttek mock is sweeeeet!!! NFL Draft Mock 2014 | NFL Draft Mock Draft (http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp)

1. Dennard paired with Rhodes in press-man coverage with Captain playing nickel would be one hell of an offseason upgrade to our pass D!
2. Odell Beckham, Jr. Bit of a luxury pick but he killed the combine with speed in both a straight line and change of direction and is another serious threat whenever he has the ball...i.e. improving return depth too.
3. Mettenberger in the 3rd round would be awesome. Big boy who could be a real deep ball pocket QB given a bit of time to heal and learn.
3.b. Ego Ferguson, DT
4. Demarcus Lawrence, DE
5. Jon Halapio, OG

More DL rotation is always a good idea and we've specially had good luck in the past with 4th round DEs. Another Guard to push Johnson and Baca for playing time is even better. Although, this guy seems more of a RG option, anybody think Fusco can improve our play at LG!?? Or is moving him a mistake due to how good he's been where he's at?

NFL Draft Mock 2014 | NFL Draft Mock Draft (http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp)