PDA

View Full Version : Alterraun Verner On Vikes Radar

2beersTommy
03-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Alterraun Verner On Minnesota Vikings' Radar - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/9/5487126/alterraun-verner-minnesota-vikings)

purplepat
03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Great news! Would immediately solidify our secondary.

313zoe
03-09-2014, 09:24 AM
They need to sign him he tha best young CB in tha league

VikesfaninWis
03-09-2014, 01:48 PM
It says that Verner will likely sign right after Tuesdays free agency period starts. I hope it's with the Vikes. Sick of watching a horrible high school looking secondary.

Tad7
03-09-2014, 05:01 PM
This was the realistic #1 free agent I wanted the Vikings to get. Hope it works out!

drewlovs
03-09-2014, 05:18 PM
I would LOVE to see us clear up our CB troubles before the draft starts!!

In all the mock drafts, CBs seem to have the most limited options available, and if we can leave that to the 6th and 7th rounds (for possible diamonds in the rough), it would be awesome!!

Now, let's sign him and get at least 1 LB before May...

VikingsFan1234
03-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I never heard of him so I had to look it up, it would be a nice signing and anything would be better than Cook but I am worried that the Vikings might overpay for him but it might be worth it as long Cook is not returning

b_sandhar_29
03-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Love this move. Verner excels in playing the ball in the air and he can also play in the slot, our biggest hole on defense last season.

VikingsFan1234
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Love this move. Verner excels in playing the ball in the air and he can also play in the slot, our biggest hole on defense last season.

They have not signed him yet

kevoncox
03-09-2014, 08:56 PM
I would LOVE to see us clear up our CB troubles before the draft starts!!

In all the mock drafts, CBs seem to have the most limited options available, and if we can leave that to the 6th and 7th rounds (for possible diamonds in the rough), it would be awesome!!

Now, let's sign him and get at least 1 LB before May...

CB is actually very deep. Also we need atleast 2 Cbs.

VikesfaninWis
03-09-2014, 09:18 PM
The Vikes need a CB like Verner in free agency, then they can focus on a LB in rd 1 like Kalil Mack. Then in rd 2 they can go after a QB, then work on defense and depth from there. If we have a good MLB and a good CB, that will help tremendously. Plus I believe we will still end up with a DT and S in free agency.

313zoe
03-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I dnt think tha vikings will over pay for him, he been getting betta every year since coming to tha league and played every game, now they can draft somebody in tha first round like Mack,Shazier or maybe even Gilbert that would give us a nice secondary Verner,Rhodes,Gilbert and Smith

midgensa
03-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I think that Verner is going to sign with us because he fits Zimmer perfectly. Zimmer loves ball hawks like Verner and he and Rhodes would be really solid. I also would be quite OK with bringing back Cook as a nickel with Robinson and Sherels and a draft pick rounding out six CBs on the roster.

Verner has to be priority No. 1. He would be a huge get and a huge upgrade right away for us.

vikingsfan620
03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
After reading and looking around,it looks like Verner wants NE or SF. Not saying hes out of the running, Zimmer will get Spielman to land a high ranked CB. My thing is, what about Vontae Davis? He is better in man coverage than Verner. Trust me I have been wanting Verner since the season ended and still would love signing him. I just dont think he will come here,he wants to win, so he says. Bottom line, the Vikings MUST land Verner or Davis. No other options are acceptable. Iknow that Spielman and Zimmer both like to build through the draft but they are both in their early 20s,. And they are cant miss type guys too. GET IT DONE

VikesfaninWis
03-10-2014, 08:03 PM
After reading and looking around,it looks like Verner wants NE or SF. Not saying hes out of the running, Zimmer will get Spielman to land a high ranked CB. My thing is, what about Vontae Davis? He is better in man coverage than Verner. Trust me I have been wanting Verner since the season ended and still would love signing him. I just dont think he will come here,he wants to win, so he says. Bottom line, the Vikings MUST land Verner or Davis. No other options are acceptable. Iknow that Spielman and Zimmer both like to build through the draft but they are both in their early 20s,. And they are cant miss type guys too. GET IT DONE

It sounds like Davis is heading to the Jets. If the Vikes don't get Verner or a different solid CB with the need and the money they have available, they will have a shitload of explaining to do. I hope Chris Cook goes as far away from the state of Minnesota as he can get. Oh, and I hope they get rid of Robinson as well. Both of those guys were a huge part on why we gave up the most passing touchdowns and the most passing yards per game last season. Need to get rid of this dead weight and get good players in here for a change. This defense as it is, is horrible. Then they go and bring Brinkley back, I swear I thought for a minute that Childress was back.

vikingsfan620
03-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Agreed. And Brinkley isnt officially a viking, his contract is void if he doesnt make the team,plus he is just depth. Cook I think would be very good in the nickel where they tried to play Robinson, whos NEVER played there in his career. The last staff was most to blame for the lapses this team had, there is quite a bit of talent on this roster and Zimmer sees it and will get the best out of them. A guy I like on the roster is CB Shaun Prater, he looked good last year when the secondary was thin with injuries. I look for him to make the final roster this year. But Cook wont be back cause he is a tool off the field. SIGN VERNER,DRAFT MACK OR PRYOR 1ST ROUND

VikesfaninWis
03-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Sign Verner and definitely take Mack in the first rd. that would be huge for this team.

313zoe
03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Seem like tha bucs are getting ready to cut Revis should tha vikings sign him, Revis man on man wit tha WR in our division wit Smith up top I'll luv our chances and Lovie run more Tampa 2 and doesn't have tha need for him crazy decision

VikesfaninWis
03-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Revis is still good, but would have to come cheap. I wouldn't mind Talib either. All I know is they better get a very good CB in free agency. If they don't get Verner, Talib, or Davis, it will be considered dropping the ball in my book.

Mr Anderson
03-10-2014, 09:43 PM
None of these guys are gonna come cheap. They'll all command 8-10 million per year.

Revis' current contract doesn't have much guaranteed money, but a huge salary. His cap number is 16 million on his current contract. If the Vikings were to sign him, I'd like to see that number reduced to around 12 million.

I think he's certainly worth 2-4 million more per season than Verner, Talib or Vontae Davis.

It would be a good investment. Not only because Revis is an all-time great corner, but because of the Vikings young secondary. Players like him make the people around them better, both directly and indirectly.

It's hard for me to condone spending QB type money on a defensive player, but if there's anyone that deserves it, it's Darrelle Revis.

jargomcfargo
03-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I think that Verner is going to sign with us because he fits Zimmer perfectly. Zimmer loves ball hawks like Verner and he and Rhodes would be really solid. I also would be quite OK with bringing back Cook as a nickel with Robinson and Sherels and a draft pick rounding out six CBs on the roster.

Verner has to be priority No. 1. He would be a huge get and a huge upgrade right away for us.
Cook as nickel, Robinson and Sherells as cornerbacks is the worst plan I've heard. Cook and Robinson are busts, and Sherells is a punt returner only.
Cornerback position on the Vikings won't be settled until all three of these guys are off the team as cornerbacks. Verner would be a move in the right direction.

kevoncox
03-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Agreed. And Brinkley isnt officially a viking, his contract is void if he doesnt make the team,plus he is just depth. Cook I think would be very good in the nickel where they tried to play Robinson, whos NEVER played there in his career. The last staff was most to blame for the lapses this team had, there is quite a bit of talent on this roster and Zimmer sees it and will get the best out of them. A guy I like on the roster is CB Shaun Prater, he looked good last year when the secondary was thin with injuries. I look for him to make the final roster this year. But Cook wont be back cause he is a tool off the field. SIGN VERNER,DRAFT MACK OR PRYOR 1ST ROUND

Cook in the nickle? God no.. He doesn't have the agility or the quickness needed to play that position. He is an above average tackler though but he would get eaten alive.

kevoncox
03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Cook as nickel, Robinson and Sherells as cornerbacks is the worst plan I've heard. Cook and Robinson are busts, and Sherells is a punt returner only.
Cornerback position on the Vikings won't be settled until all three of these guys are off the team as cornerbacks. Verner would be a move in the right direction.

Robinson isn't a bust. He is not a nickle. There is a huge difference between an outside Cb and a nickle zone CB. If they move him back outside... it think he has the potential to be really good.

On the outside, you have help in one direction thanks to the sideline. There is only so far the QB can throw the ball. You are more worried about the length of the throw and the distance you have to cover. In the nickle, the pass patterns are usually shorter and you have the entire field width of the field to worry about (man coverage) also, you have to be more aware of pick players and screens/ bubbles. Lastly, you are also focus on run coverage. and containment. 2 different positions.

tarkenton10
03-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Robinson isn't a bust. He is not a nickle. There is a huge difference between an outside Cb and a nickle zone CB. If they move him back outside... it think he has the potential to be really good.

On the outside, you have help in one direction thanks to the sideline. There is only so far the QB can throw the ball. You are more worried about the length of the throw and the distance you have to cover. In the nickle, the pass patterns are usually shorter and you have the entire field width of the field to worry about (man coverage) also, you have to be more aware of pick players and screens/ bubbles. Lastly, you are also focus on run coverage. and containment. 2 different positions.

+1 Good analysis

vikesrgreat2
03-11-2014, 09:00 AM
I think signing a quality CB should be high priority in free agency. A co-worker friend who's a Viking fan and I agree that Verner should be a great signing. Take him out to dinner like they did with Greg Jennings, and don't let him leave without signing with the Vikings! If we can't get him, Revis or Vontae Davis would both help the pass defense get a lot better.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I hope the Vikes get a top CB today, but won't hold my breath.

purpleblood32
03-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Sign verner you say dont want to over pay ..well a cb of his calliber and age ...i not sure if you can over pay ...if you want him sign him he is worth top pay ...biring him in and joseph from the giants ...wow that would be an up grade ...then draft draft draft

jargomcfargo
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Pretty sure I know the difference between the two positions.
How does that explain his performance the year before when he was ranked 51 out 51 cornerbacks, dead last , when he played outside ?
2012-2013 Final NFL Cornerback Rankings: (page 3) (http://www.footballnation.com/content/2012-2013-final-nfl-cornerback-rankings/22755/3/)
I guess you will say he's a rookie or maybe it was the cover 2 scheme, and hopefully you are right. But the eyeball test shows a player that, despite being the fastest guy at the combine, rarely contests any throws. I have this image of Robinson clapping his hands together after the receiver catches the ball. Kind of like the image of Cook trailing receivers into the end zone. It happens over and over.
I hope Zimmer can turn Robinson around. It would help this team a great deal.

tastywaves
03-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Sign verner you say dont want to over pay ..well a cb of his calliber and age ...i not sure if you can over pay ...if you want him sign him he is worth top pay ...biring him in and joseph from the giants ...wow that would be an up grade ...then draft draft draft

This guy will get at least $10M+/yr. If he comes in and doesn't give perennial pro-bowl performances will you still be singing that tune. It will also limit the other players that we can sign, not just this year, but in years to come.

Not saying he won't be worth it, just saying he better be worth it or you have a long time to deal with it. He wouldn't be the first sexy FA CB to get big money and then fail to deliver.

He's also stated pretty strongly that he wants to be on a SB contending team, not sure that he will put the Vikings on that list. Meaning we may have to offer significantly more than other teams to get him in purple.

tarkenton10
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
We are going to find out who the Vikes really want in about three hours, we shall see how involved the new regime wants to get in free agency. It could get really interesting

kevoncox
03-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Pretty sure I know the difference between the two positions.
How does that explain his performance the year before when he was ranked 51 out 51 cornerbacks, dead last , when he played outside ?
2012-2013 Final NFL Cornerback Rankings: (page 3) (http://www.footballnation.com/content/2012-2013-final-nfl-cornerback-rankings/22755/3/)
I guess you will say he's a rookie or maybe it was the cover 2 scheme, and hopefully you are right. But the eyeball test shows a player that, despite being the fastest guy at the combine, rarely contests any throws. I have this image of Robinson clapping his hands together after the receiver catches the ball. Kind of like the image of Cook trailing receivers into the end zone. It happens over and over.
I hope Zimmer can turn Robinson around. It would help this team a great deal.

Not sure why it would only be 51 CBs (seeing that there should be 64 starting cbs in the league) Also, i think some of these guys play safety ( Micheal Huff) unless I missed where OAK turned him to a cb (could have). additionally, any Ranking with Joe Haden as 30 or higher is laughable and should be lit on fire and then pissed out.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Where does he sign today? Spielman better get off his ass and get some proven good players on this defense instead of hoping and praying in the draft. It's fine to build through the draft if they pan out, but you are always playing for the future instead of the present.

That's why this franchise has never won a SB, and why they never will until that philosophy changes. That defense last year was a fuckin joke, now do something about it. And by that I don't mean sign Jasper fuckin Brinkley.

MaxVike
03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
He just signed Linval Joseph... Patience.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
He just signed Linval Joseph... Patience.

I have been a fan my entire 36 years on this planet, don't want to hear about patience.:)

jargomcfargo
03-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Not sure why it would only be 51 CBs (seeing that there should be 64 starting cbs in the league) Also, i think some of these guys play safety ( Micheal Huff) unless I missed where OAK turned him to a cb (could have). additionally, any Ranking with Joe Haden as 30 or higher is laughable and should be lit on fire and then pissed out.
And that makes Josh Robinson better somehow ? Show me your link to any stats that prove he was anything but worthless. Your argument is ' he isn't a bust'. 51st out of 64 doesn't quite convince me for some dumb reason.

MaxVike
03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
I have been a fan my entire 36 years on this planet, don't want to hear about patience.:)

I hear ya brother, and, I will raise your 36 by 16...:beatupchickensmall: admittedly, our fandom has had more painful moments than I'd care to recall.

Look at it this way, at least we ain't Raiders fans...what on earth are they doing???

jargomcfargo
03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
You've threatened to quit the last three years, so I would guess that you are beginning to develop a little patience.
Just think how it must be for fans like Max who have at least 40 years or fandom, or myself, who has over 50 years of fandumb! :)
I am here through thick and thin, and I hate the thin every bit as much as you.
Vikings fans are the definition of patience!

tastywaves
03-11-2014, 05:36 PM
You've threatened to quit the last three years, so I would guess that you are beginning to develop a little patience.
Just think how it must be for fans like Max who have at least 40 years or fandom, or myself, who has over 50 years of fandumb! :)
I am here through thick and thin, and I hate the thin every bit as much as you.
Vikings fans are the definition of patience!

What choice do we have?

I started following in the early 70's. You are what you are.

kevoncox
03-11-2014, 07:39 PM
And that makes Josh Robinson better somehow ? Show me your link to any stats that prove he was anything but worthless. Your argument is ' he isn't a bust'. 51st out of 64 doesn't quite convince me for some dumb reason.

I don't have any except for my own eyes and my limited but extensive knowledge of the game. He played decently his first season. Started off rocky but looked excellent in run support. The guy that was the liability was the kid we traded for from the Cardinals. I have apparently blocked it out to keep my blood pressure low. The move to the slot last season was horrendous. He was aweful in the slot but outside he was more than serviceable.

I simply pointed out that that source had wrong information and then said Joe Haden performed the 30th best in the league. Can you really believe that a top 3 CB in this league on a team that isn't winning( so no owe expousure) was the 30th best CB in football? Joe Haden?

PInfante97
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
do we have cap space left? what kinda contract would verner command?

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
I hear ya guys... :p

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Not happening now, Tampa signed Verner. Now he and Davis are off the market.

Tad7
03-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Kinda pissed to miss out on Verner. Won't be as improved at CB as I had hoped for sure now.

MaxVike
03-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Next up, the Captain...

313zoe
03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Tha vikings have enough money left to sign Malcolm Jenkins and Corey Graham

Mr Anderson
03-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Tha vikings have enough money left to sign Malcolm Jenkins and Corey Graham

The Eagles signed Jenkins earlier this evening. Graham is still out there though.

How about Cromartie?

kevoncox
03-11-2014, 10:55 PM
The Eagles signed Jenkins earlier this evening. Graham is still out there though.

How about Cromartie?
Ill take both. please

313zoe
03-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Wat if tha vikings went after Revis I'm pretty sure he knw he not going to get paid 16 mill a season we need sum CB bad

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
The Vikings need to get one of the remaining top CB's in my opinion. They had an obvious need, money to spend, and resources to fill those needs. If they think they can improve this team a great deal by waiting until the draft to get a good starting CB, then I guess we all know why our secondary sucks year in and year out.

313zoe
03-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie or Darrelle Revis

vikesrgreat2
03-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie or Darrelle Revis

But, can we afford Revis???:hump:

mountainviking
03-12-2014, 09:38 AM
I was surprised that Verner signed with Tampa so soon, and for so little. I was expecting him to land a deal similar to Shields and Davis, closer to 10/year...

DRC would be a good fit. I think Antonio Cromartie is still out there too, but has some lingering hip issues it sounds like...?

Captain Munnerlyn would help. Brandon Browner? He's got good size and is only suspended for 4 games at the moment!? ;)

CB is getting pretty picked over in a hurry. Might have to give Cook another chance...

tastywaves
03-12-2014, 10:23 AM
No love for Walter Thurmond or Tarrell Btown? Both of these guys would be good additions without breaking the bank I would think.

slavinator
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I am not in favor of DRC. The story goes that his teammates would put $100 in his playbook to see if he would find it (at least that's the story on am radio out here). Most of the time it was never discovered. Good player who relies on talent and instinct. I'm not saying that he isn't an immediate upgrade, it just concerns me that we would have to pay a premium for him, when the work ethic behind the money isn't there. He is the opposite of Winfield in other words........

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2014, 01:19 PM
But, can we afford Revis???:hump:

They can. Even if it means restructuring Greenway's contract. They can do it, but will they is the question? Defense wins championships and Seattle proved that last year. It also helps when you have a very good offense, Seattle has that as well. The Vikings are no where near a SB with this roster. Simply not good enough.

jargomcfargo
03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
I don't have any except for my own eyes and my limited but extensive knowledge of the game. He played decently his first season. Started off rocky but looked excellent in run support. The guy that was the liability was the kid we traded for from the Cardinals. I have apparently blocked it out to keep my blood pressure low. The move to the slot last season was horrendous. He was aweful in the slot but outside he was more than serviceable.

I simply pointed out that that source had wrong information and then said Joe Haden performed the 30th best in the league. Can you really believe that a top 3 CB in this league on a team that isn't winning( so no owe expousure) was the 30th best CB in football? Joe Haden?
OK. I hope you are right about him. He did play better toward the end of the season when he was playing at his natural position.