PDA

View Full Version : Sproles - a must sign

PInfante97
03-07-2014, 07:12 PM
We must sign Sproles, talk about creating matchup issues. Adrian, and Darren and CP Flash, and Jennings, and Rudy.... oh my

remeber how good chester taylor complimented adrian?

drewlovs
03-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Personally, I thinking adding a FA RB is not a priority, but a waste of resources.

It is only MY opinion, though.

jargomcfargo
03-07-2014, 08:41 PM
We must sign Sproles, talk about creating matchup issues. Adrian, and Darren and CP Flash, and Jennings, and Rudy.... oh my

remember how good chester taylor complimented adrian?
Sproles is great, but too expensive. Might be best to try to find a Sproles like player in the late rounds or from the list of undrafted free agents.

PInfante97
03-07-2014, 08:45 PM
what kind of money can sproles really command? we are about 40 mil under the cap

VikesfaninWis
03-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I had the same thought as soon as I read that he was released. Sproles would be a very nice addition to this offense. He wouldn't be expensive as he is not a starter. I don't see a team in the league where he would be starting, he is purely a complimentary type of player, and I would love to have him.

313zoe
03-07-2014, 08:55 PM
We should sign him i think he was only making bout 3 mill this I'm pretty sure Turner can bring him here

jmcdon00
03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Peterson will be 29, and Sproles 31 at the start of next season. I don't see this happening.

VikesfaninWis
03-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Peterson will be 29, and Sproles 31 at the start of next season. I don't see this happening.

That would be true if they both played like their age, but they don't. Both are still very good players. Sproles will not be expensive, and you don't have to sign him long term.

jmcdon00
03-07-2014, 09:27 PM
That would be true if they both played like their age, but they don't. Both are still very good players. Sproles will not be expensive, and you don't have to sign him long term.
I imagine Sproles will want 2 years minimum. That means that starting the 2015 season they would be 30 and 32.

vikingsfan620
03-07-2014, 10:45 PM
You wanna draft a Sproles like player??? Then you better get a guy by the name of Dri Archer from Kent State in round 5 or 6... if you havent seen any tape on him,please check it out, he is crazy explosive and talented...

MaxVike
03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Not the end if the world to explore... Sure, a rookie is cheaper. But, Sproles would be a great add if not too expensive. But, not even close to a "must sign."

PInfante97
03-08-2014, 07:47 AM

perfectly said

and dri archer is not built like sproles... and if you wanna compare highlight tapes. check out sproles college tape. might be the most redic u will ever see

PInfante97
03-08-2014, 07:47 AM
we are a 5 win team and we are almost 40 mil under the cap... why is everyone being so frugle right now?

VikingsFan1234
03-08-2014, 08:46 AM
we are a 5 win team and we are almost 40 mil under the cap... why is everyone being so frugle right now?

Because they want to re-build through the draft?

PInfante97
03-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Because they want to re-build through the draft?

so a 2 year deal to sproles is going to stop that when your 40 mil under the cap?

kevoncox
03-08-2014, 10:27 AM
perfectly said

and dri archer is not built like sproles... and if you wanna compare highlight tapes. check out sproles college tape. might be the most redic u will ever see

Dude was a monster at KS... My favorite team.

johnkdbr
03-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Sproles would be a nice 3rd down back if we can get him for reasonable money. I think OG is a much higher priority. Our FA money needs to go to a couple of defensive studs. DE, DT & LB.

mountainviking
03-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Well, we do need a backup RB and Sproles even has history with Turner from SD days. Also, we could use another weapon in the passing game, and with 3 straight years of over 70 receptions averaging ~8.5 yards/catch he certainly does that. He's pretty much a slot receiver and RB depth. Probably a pretty good fit, and not that expensive if he can be had in that 2-3 mil/year range for 2 or 3 years. AP is getting up there in years and carries, perhaps we do need to consider rotating somebody in for him a bit more often...

But, personally, I'm kinda lookin forward to seeing AP catch some passes in Turner's offense too. And, there are options at RB depth available in mid-late draft, UDFA, and vet FAs, so it isn't a big deal if he decides he wants to catch passes from Peyton Manning or Tom Brady either. It'd be pretty hard to blame him for that! ;)

battleaxe4cheese
03-08-2014, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't mind so much if the price is right. We have way more pressing needs than adding another running back to the roster who is older than the one we already have on hand. I would rather find a spry, hungry rookie in the later rounds IMHO.

purpleblood32
03-08-2014, 02:05 PM
You wanna draft a Sproles like player??? Then you better get a guy by the name of Dri Archer from Kent State in round 5 or 6... if you havent seen any tape on him,please check it out, he is crazy explosive and talented...

yep you can get a guy like dri via draft ..inexpensive with a huge upside .just because you have 40 mil in cap money doesnt mean you throw a few mil here and there ...

313zoe
03-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Sproles would be a nice sign he's a playmaker when he get tha ball and he dnt play like his age him and AP would be a nice 1,2 punch

Ted Dibiase
03-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I like Sproles if the price is right but either way there's gotta be someone who can take the majority of the work and run between the tackles if AP gets hurt. That's not Sproles. I would love to see him returning punts and taking some snaps though. I'd do backflips if we could somehow keep Toby but I suppose for him he's looking for more touches, even if he gets modest offers that the Vikes can match.

drewlovs
03-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I personally don't think I'm being "frugal", I just don't think the ONE area where we have a superstar is an area we need to invest some of that cap space on. AD can be the man, we can draft a rookie to take part of the load off him, and look at the areas of our team where we absolutely MUST spend our money on.

I would imagine Sproles want a long term deal, unless he is bucking the trend. Older players tend to want to "cash in" before their years of service catch up to them, and a 2 year deal might just spell out his retirement party 2 years on advance.

I'll readily admit I don't know this to be true, but it would surprise me if he wasn't looking to lock up a minimum of 3-4 years in the next contract he signs.

b_sandhar_29
03-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Watching saint games, whenever he came in, teams knew they were most likely passing. It got very predictable with him in the game. He could bounce back if norv can still get some more good play outta him. After all sproles is originally from SD.

i_bleed_purple
03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Watching saint games, whenever he came in, teams knew they were most likely passing.

Sounds like you're describing a Vikings game with CT.

The thing to keep in mind, is Sproles can also play from the slot, AP/Gerhart can't.

tarkenton10
03-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Personally, I thinking adding a FA RB is not a priority, but a waste of resources.

It is only MY opinion, though.

Why waste money on sproles, RBs in this day and age are not that important. You could get a sproles type player late in the draft, like Lache Seastrunk in the third round or DeAnthony Thomas in the fifth or sixth round or a Dri Archer in the seventh of as a FA. It just doesn't make sense to spend all that money on Sproles.

i_bleed_purple
03-10-2014, 12:00 PM
If Sproles will come reasonably cheap (2-3 mil MAX) it would be a great signing. Another option could be trying to get Lamichal James from San Fran. With Lattimore healthy, he might become a late cut or attainable for cheap (6th rounder).

Turner's offense utilizes a scat back like Sproles, In space, Sproles is extremely dangerous. in NO, they never had a real good run threat, so Sproles was never really effective as a runner. However, with AP grinding down the defense, that will make them slower reacting to draws, screens or counter runs with Sproles. They could even line up together in the pro-set, or singleback with Sproles in the slot (reverse/end around/gadget options here)

drewlovs
03-10-2014, 12:25 PM
If Sproles will come reasonably cheap (2-3 mil MAX) it would be a great signing. Another option could be trying to get Lamichal James from San Fran. With Lattimore healthy, he might become a late cut or attainable for cheap (6th rounder).

Turner's offense utilizes a scat back like Sproles, In space, Sproles is extremely dangerous. in NO, they never had a real good run threat, so Sproles was never really effective as a runner. However, with AP grinding down the defense, that will make them slower reacting to draws, screens or counter runs with Sproles. They could even line up together in the pro-set, or singleback with Sproles in the slot (reverse/end around/gadget options here)

If I were going to go with a UofO RB, it would not be James, but De'Anthony Thomas (from this year's draft). He will go in the later rounds (my guess, 3rd-5th), and fits well with our offense as I see it.

Of course, Zimmer might be changing everything, so who knows?

tastywaves
03-10-2014, 12:35 PM
I think there will be a lot of interest in Sproles including New Orleans if they can get a better contract. How much money different clubs are willing to spend is the question and for how long. He is a role player with limited touches. He was scheduled to make $4.3M this year, the last year of his contract. If no one bit on a trade I would think that means he will get less than $4.3M from whoever signs him.

drewlovs
03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
The Vikings, if they go veteran for a back up for AD, will want a 1-2 year contract on the cheap for a back who will play limited snaps.

Sproles will want a 3-4 year contract for a minimum of 4 million/year and be at least the co-featured back.

I just don't see our needs and his crossing anywhere here.

VikesfaninWis
03-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Call Chester Taylor up, I'm sure he would like to come back...

PInfante97
03-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Call Chester Taylor up, I'm sure he would like to come back...

he sure was the most under appreciated guy from that 2009 team. how many big 3rd downs did the guy convert

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 10:32 AM
he sure was the most under appreciated guy from that 2009 team. how many big 3rd downs did the guy convert

Definitely. He and AD were a nice 1-2 punch.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 10:35 AM
He been out of the league for a couple of years now, and he will be 35 this year, so it's all talk. Lol

2beersTommy
03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Report: Darren Sproles Possible Target For Minnesota Vikings - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/11/5497222/report-darren-sproles-possible-target-for-minnesota-vikings)

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Report: Darren Sproles Possible Target For Minnesota Vikings - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/11/5497222/report-darren-sproles-possible-target-for-minnesota-vikings)

Nice thought, but I just don't see it happening.

slavinator
03-12-2014, 01:10 PM

+1 right there!!!

tastywaves
03-12-2014, 08:10 PM
If I were in charge, I would definitely make a run for the guy. Hell of a lot cheaper than Percy Harvin and a lot more dependable even at his advanced age.

Apparently he has a lot of suitors which lowers the likelihood, but I can see Norv, Priefer and Cassell pushing real hard for him.

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2014, 08:26 PM
He would be a nice addition for sure. I just don't see it happening.