PDA

View Full Version : Dream FA?

12purplepride28
02-24-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm just curious as to what you guys want to address specifically in FA. I'm hoping we can sign Verner, Raji, and then a couple of our own guys like Griffen (priority #1 IMO) and KWill if he will play nose for a couple years. Whatever we do I trust Rick and Zimmer.

tarkenton10
02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm just curious as to what you guys want to address specifically in FA. I'm hoping we can sign Verner, Raji, and then a couple of our own guys like Griffen (priority #1 IMO) and KWill if he will play nose for a couple years. Whatever we do I trust Rick and Zimmer.

I would not want Kwill to play NT, he has the skill set to be a great 3tech but not a great NT. He is past his prime and I would rather we keep him at the 3tech and let Floyd learn from him or let him go. I hope we can sign Verner also, he is young and could be good for a long time.

Raji is going to want too much money, he turned down a 5yr 40 mill. deal with GB. He tried to sign a few months later and they informed him it was off the table but he wants a boat load of money. I would try to sign Linval Joseph, he is young (25 yrs old) and I think he is a better DT than Raji.

12purplepride28
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
I would not want Kwill to play NT, he has the skill set to be a great 3tech but not a great NT. He is past his prime and I would rather we keep him at the 3tech and let Floyd learn from him or let him go. I hope we can sign Verner also, he is young and could be good for a long time.

Raji is going to want too much money, he turned down a 5yr 40 mill. deal with GB. He tried to sign a few months later and they informed him it was off the table but he wants a boat load of money. I would try to sign Linval Joseph, he is young (25 yrs old) and I think he is a better DT than Raji.

Considering our other options at NT right now I would go with KWill as a backup plan. I really want us to get a young guy to pair with Griffen and Floyd to have a good dline for a long time. As for Raji, I didn't know that he was commanding that much money. I would like to get him here but definitely not for that big of a contract.

purpleblood32
02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Football is a business first and a game second ...williams will be let go ...past his prime to much money...im a huge fan just keeping it real

Tad7
02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Verner would be a very nice get

midgensa
02-24-2014, 07:01 PM
I would love to see us go after Verner and Hardy and get lucky and land both of them.

I have little interest in Raji as he has declined for a couple of years already. I think Tark is right on the money on Joseph. A better player than Raji overall that will not cost the same amount.

If we could swing the money to land Verner, Hardy, Joseph and reup with Griffen we would drastically improve on defense right there. And it would free us up to be a little more creative in the draft.

313zoe
02-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Sign alterraun-verner, linval-joseph, donald-butler, taylor-mays,everson-griffen

tarkenton10
02-25-2014, 07:32 AM
I would love to see us go after Verner and Hardy and get lucky and land both of them.

I have little interest in Raji as he has declined for a couple of years already. I think Tark is right on the money on Joseph. A better player than Raji overall that will not cost the same amount.

If we could swing the money to land Verner, Hardy, Joseph and reup with Griffen we would drastically improve on defense right there. And it would free us up to be a little more creative in the draft.

that would be a huge get but also a huge payday, Hardy is going to cost a lot of money but if we can get him for a reasonable price he is the best FA out there at DE. I would say sign Griffin, Verner and Joseph.

Minniman
02-25-2014, 08:44 AM
The Hardy and Joseph combination would instantly make the Vikings the best defensive line in the NFL. The problem is that the Vikings secondary and linebackers are not very good. Then again, new coaches and a new scheme could help in that area if the starters stay relatively healthy.

tarkenton10
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
The Hardy and Joseph combination would instantly make the Vikings the best defensive line in the NFL. The problem is that the Vikings secondary and linebackers are not very good. Then again, new coaches and a new scheme could help in that area if the starters stay relatively healthy.

I would love those signings but I don't think the org. has that kind of money to sign both of those guys. And if they do that would be the end of free agency, that would put them right at the ceiling for the foreseeable future.

Minniman
02-25-2014, 09:24 AM
I would love those signings but I don't think the org. has that kind of money to sign both of those guys. And if they do that would be the end of free agency, that would put them right at the ceiling for the foreseeable future.
It really depends on the offer sheets. If Hardy wants Allen cash, then all bets are off. If Joseph leverages the Giants potential offer and offers from cap-friendly teams like Jacksonville, he is not likely coming here.

The Vikings also have two season to play at TCF, and that is bad news for free agent signings. TCF is a great venue ... in early autumn. In December, it will be the coldest average temperature venue in the NFL.

tastywaves
02-25-2014, 11:16 AM
It will be interesting to see who is targeted this year by the current staff. Help to understand what they are trying to put in place.

Zimmer might be perfectly fine picking up a bunch of blue collar players on defense vs the sexy high cost FA's and early round draft picks. Norv may be a glutton for offensive weapons and they decide to add more in this area while playing to Zimmer's background in making good defenses with underperforming players.

Or it could be the opposite. Won't know until they start signing FA's and drafting players.

drewlovs
02-25-2014, 12:25 PM
It really depends on the offer sheets. If Hardy wants Allen cash, then all bets are off. If Joseph leverages the Giants potential offer and offers from cap-friendly teams like Jacksonville, he is not likely coming here.

The Vikings also have two season to play at TCF, and that is bad news for free agent signings. TCF is a great venue ... in early autumn. In December, it will be the coldest average temperature venue in the NFL.

I think you nailed our FA problems in a nutshell. We see the vikings as a team on paper, the FAs we pursue look at Minnesota and ask, "Can I play 4-6 Ice-Bowlesque games?" We see them on TV, or on the field once a week; they have to live/practice/play there. To dome FAs, the Vikings will not be a happy thought.

purpleblood32
02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I think you nailed our FA problems in a nutshell. We see the vikings as a team on paper, the FAs we pursue look at Minnesota and ask, "Can I play 4-6 Ice-Bowlesque games?" We see them on TV, or on the field once a week; they have to live/practice/play there. To dome FAs, the Vikings will not be a happy thought.

omg football starts in september,oct nov...then dec...they have 4 games in the cold month of dec two games most likely home TWO GAMES ..HA HA HA ...SO DO THAT FOR TWO YEARS THAT EQUALS FOUR GAMES...NOW YOU HAVE BEARS AND GREENBAY TOO ..I UNDERSTAND IT GETS COLD BUT WE DONT PLAY JAN AND FEB .....GIVE ME A BREAK

vikingsfan620
02-25-2014, 09:32 PM
My guys...Alteraun,Verner,Antoine Cason,Linval Joseph,Jason Worilds,Nate Allen,Jon Asamoah,and Major Wright...any of these guys and they have moved in a much better direction....gonna be an exciting FA period for a change, finally have some cash

Brewtal
02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Do not see Hardy coming here, I think there is a far better chance Michael Johnson follows Zimmerman from the Bengals.

2beersTommy
03-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Craig: Ten NFL free agency don'ts | Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/248680781.html)

midgensa
03-06-2014, 09:25 AM
I am definitely high on the Verner and Linval Joseph ideas. I also would love to retain Griffen and Kevin Williams. And, with the space we have ... I am in the minority on wanting to keep Jared Allen.

Now, Allen is not all that likely to come back for the role we would want to keep him for ... so we can use that money to land Michael Johnson.

This would have us going into the draft with a defensive line shaping up as Griffen/Robison/Johnson and Floyd/Joseph/Williams ... we could still draft for a little more depth, but that is a pretty good set there that can all play in different situations and mix and match.

Throw Verner at CB with Rhodes, Robinson and a re-signed Cook and then we have MANY more options in the draft with a heavy linebacker focus.

All of these signings are very doable without breaking the bank (though re-signing Griffen AND landing Johnson would cost a little bit) and would still allow us a little flexibility to go fill out the offensive line with a veteran if needed after the draft.

I think with the cap space we have and the money we are REQUIRED to spend because of the CBA, we should be able to fill a lot of holes.

I think with the top end playmakers we have in some spots (Peterson, Patterson, Harrison Smith, sometimes Greenway when he plays his natural position) we could be ALOT better quickly if we play our cards aggressively.

tastywaves
03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
I like the idea of bringing in Walter Thurmond. Should come a bit cheaper and has shown that he is good at both nickel and outside corner. Physical player that is just coming into his own.

Rage4Order
03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Would love to see Linval Joseph and Verner myself. Then draft a stud LB.

Renrut31
03-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Over $40 million under the cap, after today's cuts, but it's going to be tough to get FAs to come here until we get the QB position set.

jargomcfargo
03-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Remind me, which free agents has Spielman brought in the past couple years that have paid great dividends ?
I think Jennings may work out, but Carlson was a bust.
I hope Spielman continues to pursue value free agents from other teams and reserves money to resign Vikings free agents like Griffen and perhaps Cassel.

tarkenton10
03-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Remind me, which free agents has Spielman brought in the past couple years that have paid great dividends ?
I think Jennings may work out, but Carlson was a bust.
I hope Spielman continues to pursue value free agents from other teams and reserves money to resign Vikings free agents like Griffen and perhaps Cassel.

I believe Spielman came to Minnesota in 06, so let's a look at his free agents since then that may have worked out. In 06 he bought in Hutchinson, Longwell and Leber.

In 08 he brought in Jared Allen

In 2009 he brought in Brett Favre.

If you look at just those players he was instrumental in getting the Vikings in to the 2009 NFC Championship game. Add in some border line good players like Cassel (it wasn't his fault he didn't get to start) and Berrian and he has done OK in the free agent market.

jargomcfargo
03-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I believe Spielman came to Minnesota in 06, so let's a look at his free agents since then that may have worked out. In 06 he bought in Hutchinson, Longwell and Leber.

In 08 he brought in Jared Allen

In 2009 he brought in Brett Favre.

If you look at just those players he was instrumental in getting the Vikings in to the 2009 NFC Championship game. Add in some border line good players like Cassel (it wasn't his fault he didn't get to start) and Berrian and he has done OK in the free agent market.
Spielman was hired in May of 2006. Leber, Hutchinson, and Longwell were already on the team.
The front office structure in place until Childress was fired in November of 2010, was the concept shared power between Childress, Spielman, and Brzezinski, the infamous triangle of authority , with Wilf as the tie breaker. Childress had full control over the 53 man roster player acquisition was shared.
So the Jared Allen trade, and Favre signings weren't entirely Spielmans doing.
It is much clearer who Spielman has chosen since his promotion to GM and scrapping of the triangle of authority power structure.
That's why I asked about the free agents brought in the past couple of years.
It seems that Spielman doesn't see the big money free agents as a good investment, given what he has done since he has been in charge. I agree with that concept.
I like Joseph, Verner, and others, but the only free agents I see Spielman spending much money on would likely be Everson Griffen or Johnson, and a veteran transitional QB, like Cassel. The rest will likely be value, aka. left over, free agents.

tastywaves
03-07-2014, 02:04 PM
That's why I asked about the free agents brought in the past couple of years. It seems that Spielman doesn't see the big money free agents as a good investment, given what he has done since he has been in charge. I agree with that concept.
I

According to Vikings.com, here are the FA's brought in over the last few years:

Draft: CB Chris Cook*, RB Toby Gerhart*, DE Everson Griffen* and WR Joe Webb*
Free Agency / Waivers: CB Marcus Sherels#
Draft: QB Christian Ponder, TE Kyle Rudolph, S Mistral Raymond and G Brandon Fusco
Free Agency / Waivers: RB Matt Asiata, C Joe Berger*, LB Larry Dean#, G Charlie Johnson*and S Andrew Sendejo
Draft: T Matt Kalil, S Harrison Smith, CB Josh Robinson, WR Jarius Wright, TE Rhett Ellison, WR Greg Childs, S Robert Blanton, K Blair Walsh and LB Audie Cole.
Free Agency / Waivers: DT Chase Baker, TE John Carlson, FB Jerome Felton, TE Chase Ford, LB Marvin Mitchell* and WR Jerome Simpson*.
Draft: DT Sharrif Floyd, CB Xavier Rhodes, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, LB Gerald Hodges, P Jeff Locke, G Jeff Baca and LB Michael Mauti.
Free Agency / Waivers: RB Joe Banyard, LB Desmond Bishop*, QB Matt Cassel*, QB Josh Freeman*, WR Greg Jennings, CB Shaun Prater, T Mike Remmers, FB Zach Line, WR Rodney Smith, CB Robert Steeples, DE Justin Trattou, and T J'Marcus Webb*.
Following the 2013 season, signed S Brandan Bishop, CB Kip Edwards, T Kevin Murphy, DE Spencer Nealy, RB Bradley Randle, & WR Adam Thielen to reserve / future free agent contracts.
Free Agency / Waivers: G Josh Samuda, WR Kamar Jorden, DT Kheeston Randall and LB Simoni Lawrence.

Big money spent on Jennings and Carlson. Decent money spent on Cassell, Charlie Johson, Jerome Felton and jerome Simpson. And of course Freeman's $2M for a 10 week tryout if you want to count that.

Smegma is right that Spielman does not have a track record of chasing big dollar FA's outside of Jennings and Carlson. And he's batting around .500 at the moment on this huge sample size which may make him a bit gun shy unless someone (Zimmer/Turner) pushes real hard for a particular player.

kevoncox
03-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Spielman was hired in May of 2006. Leber, Hutchinson, and Longwell were already on the team.
The front office structure in place until Childress was fired in November of 2010, was the concept shared power between Childress, Spielman, and Brzezinski, the infamous triangle of authority , with Wilf as the tie breaker. Childress had full control over the 53 man roster player acquisition was shared.
So the Jared Allen trade, and Favre signings weren't entirely Spielmans doing.
It is much clearer who Spielman has chosen since his promotion to GM and scrapping of the triangle of authority power structure.
That's why I asked about the free agents brought in the past couple of years.
It seems that Spielman doesn't see the big money free agents as a good investment, given what he has done since he has been in charge. I agree with that concept.
I like Joseph, Verner, and others, but the only free agents I see Spielman spending much money on would likely be Everson Griffen or Johnson, and a veteran transitional QB, like Cassel. The rest will likely be value, aka. left over, free agents.

He has missed on almost everyone of his signings.
He's horrible.

NodakPaul
03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
He's horrible.

Exaggeration on both counts.

He isn't horrible, he just believes that big name free agents are rarely worth the money it takes to acquire them. Of the free agents he does bring in, he is about 50/50.

tastywaves
03-07-2014, 03:28 PM
He's horrible.

Most of his signings have been low profile, low dollar signings intended for depth or role play. If your expecting to see a lot of pro bowlers come out of the trash barrel, I think your expectations are a bit high.

Carlson was a clear miss. jennings looks to be as advertised, just didn't have much of a chance to show himself. Cassell went for market value and I don't see that as a bad signing. You can argue that Frazier never gave him a chance so it was money wasted, but hard to put that on Spielman.

Felton has done well, Simpson has pretty much delivered to the salary he is getting. Berger, Johnson, Sandejo have all contributed and played to their pay level. The rest of them were low dollar special teamers and roster fillers.

kevoncox
03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Most of his signings have been low profile, low dollar signings intended for depth or role play. If your expecting to see a lot of pro bowlers come out of the trash barrel, I think your expectations are a bit high.

Carlson was a clear miss. jennings looks to be as advertised, just didn't have much of a chance to show himself. Cassell went for market value and I don't see that as a bad signing. You can argue that Frazier never gave him a chance so it was money wasted, but hard to put that on Spielman.

Felton has done well, Simpson has pretty much delivered to the salary he is getting. Berger, Johnson, Sandejo have all contributed and played to their pay level. The rest of them were low dollar special teamers and roster fillers.

Name one player that he has added for a low contact that has gone on to look better than expected. The point is not to sign bums and then have them play like bums. Good GMs sign quality players at low prices. Look at the SeaHawks. A roster loaded with FAs that they signed really low and still got production out of them. I am sorry but Felton's pro bowl season could have been achieved by almost any FB in the league. Jennings was a good signing that we had no choice to make. We had 0 Wrs. 0. Everyone else has done nothing. It's been so long since we have fielded a quality team you guys have forgotten what it means. He wastes millions of dollars going the quantity route instead of the quality route. Do I like big name signings? Nope, I don't think they are worth it most of the time. The key to success are the middle of the road guys that you can get for 2 years on prove it deals. He skips these guys and sign CFL players and Point Guards to play Cb... you member those?

kevoncox
03-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Grading the Minnesota Vikings Free-Agent Signings so Far | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1142162-grading-the-minnesota-vikings-free-agent-signings-so-far/page/2)

Nothing but thrash... It's the reason we are averaging 6 wins a season since he took over.

"The approach seems to be: Sign as many mediocre, and basement bargain players as possible and hope that the cream rises to the top and he finds some players to improve the roster."

Outside of Felton who owes a huge part of his pro bowl season to playing with the best RB of all time, everything else has been aweful. I might give you Jerome Simpson...who has had 1 ok season and 2 bust seasons. All this crap was 1 year when we had 40 million to spend.... He gave Favre 20 million when we could have signed other players to restore our roster.

mountainviking
03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
The other thing that nobody has mentioned is how salary cap strapped we've been the past couple years due to our all in on Brett Favre failure the year after losing to the Aints in the NFC championship. That is a big part of why we've had boring Free Agencies and brought in low-cost leftovers.

My gut feeling is that the Vikings Free Agency will be different this year. First off, we have around 40 mil in room after cuts and the cap growing. We also look to be losing some big time players like Allen and Williams who have been solid starters for years, but who have aged a bit past their pay. In short, we have too many holes to fill them all just through the draft...AND, too much cap space to not spend at least some of it, as required by the CBA

And, I'm thinking, and hoping, that they realize they are running out of time with our star player, Peterson, and that there is some building urgency to do something before its too late. IF we don't make some decent moves, the chance of AP demanding a trade will eventually go up...

I'm hoping for Verner at CB, he will likely cost us 10mil/year, but is young enough to play out a good sized contract. I would also like to see us address both lines in FA to cut down on needs in the draft. Asamoah for LG, Linvel Joseph at DT and/or Michael Bennett or Johnson to replace/supplement Griffen at DE would be some solid steps in the right direction, and allow us to draft a bit more BPA and thus land more talent/potential.

313zoe
03-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Tha vikings should sign Darren Sproles

drewlovs
03-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Tha vikings should sign Darren Sproles

Why? As I said on the "Sproles" thread, I see that as a big waste in resources.

VikesfaninWis
03-07-2014, 08:12 PM
DE Michael Johnson, CB Verner, and a stout NT (either the dude from the Giants or possibly Soliai from the Dolphins. They have to get a safety as well, then we can draft a stud LB at #8 and get our QB in the 2nd rd.

jargomcfargo
03-07-2014, 08:15 PM
My belief regarding Spielman and free agency is a change in philosophy since he was named GM in January, 2012.
There are so many people that want every big name free agent out there to be signed by the Vikings. In fact that is what this thread is about. A free agency wish list.
But the last couple years, as free agency approaches, we fans are like kids at Christmas waiting in great anticipation to see what gifts they are about to receive. Then little to nothing happens!
I have been critical of Spielman for wasting draft picks to move up at times, because I think it is at the expense of quality depth. But I am a big fan of bargain hunting in free agency and building through the draft.
Some high priced free agents work out, but not very often.

VikesfaninWis
03-07-2014, 08:20 PM
This free agency will be much different in those terms. We have many holes, we have over 40 mil in cap space, and a disciplinarian as our new HC. We will be signing guys this year, and it should be fun as fans.

2beersTommy
03-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Minnesota Vikings 2014 Free Agency Primer - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/8/5484168/minnesota-vikings-2014-free-agency-primer)

313zoe
03-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Think FA will be different this year wit Zimmer and Turner on board, Zimmer will bring sum big names players and key roles player to this defense threw FA

kevoncox
03-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Dream would be
Raji - NT ( Hurt the Packers and help us, it only makes sense)

jargomcfargo
03-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Dream would be
Raji - NT ( Hurt the Packers and help us, it only makes sense)
How about Sam Shields as well ?

Tad7
03-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Happy to hear the Vikings do have interest in Verner.

313zoe
03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
I would rather have tha vikings sign DT like Linval Joseph, or Henry Melton would be a lil cheaper since he is coming off a injury either one of these player would be an upgrade

VikesfaninWis
03-08-2014, 04:23 PM
It also says on NFL Trade Rumors that the Eagles are not talking to free agent DE Michael Johnson as reported yesterday. It also says talks involving Johnson are getting heavy but didn't specify a particular team. My guess is the Vikings are very high on him for several reasons, and we will sign him. I will be shocked if the Vikings don't sign Johnson.

kevoncox
03-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Sam is ok and he doesn't look like he will be back anyways.

tastywaves
03-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Sam is ok and he doesn't look like he will be back anyways.

I saw where he resigned with GB. 4 yr, 39M contract I believe. Pretty steep.

VikingsFan1234
03-09-2014, 04:29 AM
I will be honest, I am tired of signing former ex-Bears and ex-Packers that never works out with us save Brett Favre for 1 year, Ryan Longwell, and Darren Sharper

313zoe
03-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Tha vikings should sign a veteran CB like Corey Graham for sum reason he under people radar but he's a solid good CB

Renrut31
03-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Griffen re-signs with Vikings on "huge" 5 year deal

Renrut31
03-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Griffen's deal is 5 yrs for $42.5 million...$20 million guaranteed

Renrut31
03-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Vikings signed Jasper Brinkley back today also. Can't say I saw that coming...or wanted him back.

jargomcfargo
03-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Vikings signed Jasper Brinkley back today also. Can't say I saw that coming...or wanted him back.
Brinkley wasn't a good fit for MLB in a cover two scheme but played pretty well against the run. If he can stay healthy he may be a better fit in Zimmer's defense. I sure hope so. Those schmoes the Vikings had a LB last year were mostly imposters !

VikesfaninWis
03-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Again, if this signing was meant for him to start, I am hating this move. Brinkley sucks, and I was happy to see him leave.

AngloVike
03-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Again, if this signing was meant for him to start, I am hating this move. Brinkley sucks, and I was happy to see him leave.
to be fair a lot of players sucked playing in our Tampa 2/prevent D/ what the hell are we doing systems. I'm happy to see how he fits in the new defensive schemes that we are going to have before passing judgement.

VikingsFan1234
03-09-2014, 04:30 PM

If I have a choice between bringing Erin Henderson back or Jasper, I would choose Jasper anytime

drewlovs
03-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I am confident that Zimmer knows who is and is not a good fit for what he wants to do in Minnesota. Now; what does this tell us about what he plans on putting on the field for next year?

I'll be straight up and say I am not a defensive guru, so perhaps someone else can answer that question...

Renrut31
03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Just not understanding where the Vikings are going so far. The Brinkley signing makes no sense at all. Yes he struggled in the cover 2 scheme, but did no better in ARZ scheme last year. He has no cover skills, and when paired with Greenway, leaves our pass defense open. It also gives us 3 MLBs. Cole, Mauti, and now Brinkley. Not sure we need 3, or who out of those 3 would start. Would rather they go after Vincent Rey and Jayson DiManche. Both are from CIN, would know Zim's scheme, both run in the 4.55s, and are better cover guys, and I would think would come pretty cheap.

As for the Griffen signing...I like his athleticism, but seems like a lot for an unproven player, that hasn't ever played every down. It's been said, and Zim pretty much came out and said it the other day, that DEs in his scheme don't really just rush up the field after the QB. They play much more in the run, and control gaps. So Griifen doesn't seem like a run stuffer type to me.

The Cassel signing just seems like a safe, status quo, get you no where signing. We know what we get with him, but that also means, we know we aren't going anywhere with him. Why not try a Vick, or trade for Ryan Mallett, and heck maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Maybe you get to the playoffs, and make a run. Maybe Vick gets hurt in the 3rd game, and we have to go with Ponder. Is that soooo much worse then Cassel? Either way your not going anywhere.

Just seems like they are keeping the same old players, and expect a different outcome. All we can hope for, I guess, is that Zim can coach them up, and make them better players in a better scheme.

VikesfaninWis
03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
to be fair a lot of players sucked playing in our Tampa 2/prevent D/ what the hell are we doing systems. I'm happy to see how he fits in the new defensive schemes that we are going to have before passing judgement.

So why was Tampa so good at it? A player has it or he doesn't. If Brinkley was signed to start, then I will seriously question this coaching staff. We saw him for 4 years, we don't need him back.

Renrut31
03-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Sounds like we signed Linval Joseph. Former Giant. Big guy for the defensive line.

midgensa
03-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Sounds like we signed Linval Joseph. Former Giant. Big guy for the defensive line.

Where is the Joseph thing at?

C Mac D
03-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Adam Schefter and Chip Scoggins just reported that we signed former Giants DT Linval Joseph... he must have been a contingency plan when Paul Soliai was signed by the Falcons.

Also, who is Linval Joseph?

Renrut31
03-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Linval Joseph is a 25 yo DT ,former 2nd round pick of the NYG. He is 6' 4" and 325 lbs. Will play the other DT position with Floyd, with Griffen and Robison at DEs. Sounds like we will be running a 4-3 defense. Griffen says Zim plans on playing him on the line...rather then standing him up at OLB.

Renrut31
03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that L. Joseph deal is for 5 years and $31.5 million. Didn't say how much was guaranteed.

Rage4Order
03-11-2014, 04:53 PM
I like this signing a big body in the middle. He was on my dream FA list..

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
It's definitely a nice start, but we need so much help. Hoping the draft can fix all ailments is a big mistake. You have to go with proven players and have a nice mix.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
I would absolutely love to land Darelle Revis if he is released. That would be a great pickup.

Renrut31
03-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Vikings got much younger on the D-line this off season. Their line is now...Griffen (26 yo), Floyd (22 yo), Joseph (25 yo), and Robison (30 yo). Add that with the 23 yo Rhodes at CB, and 25 yo Smith at Safety, the Vikings are getting pretty young. The position that is still hurting for an infusion of youth is the LB position. Let's see what else they have planned.

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Vikings got much younger on the D-line this off season. Their line is now...Griffen (26 yo), Floyd (22 yo), Joseph (25 yo), and Robison (30 yo). Add that with the 23 yo Rhodes at CB, and 25 yo Smith at Safety, the Vikings are getting pretty young. The position that is still hurting for an infusion of youth is the LB position. Let's see what else they have planned.

Hopefully that youth at LB is Khalil Mack in the draft.

Renrut31
03-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Anthony Barr ran a 4.44 forty today at his pro day. Tall, athletic, long arms...I think he would do really well against TEs in coverage. Justin Gilbert is someone else I wouldn't mind drafting. Paired up with Rhodes, we could have 2 of the best young CBs in the NFL. I definitely like Mack also. Those are my three favorite targets for us

Ted Dibiase
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Hopefully that youth at LB is Khalil Mack in the draft.

I wonder how much the coaches expect Mauti, Hodges, and Cole to contribute. Maybe not much but it's an interesting question because that's their youth. I don't see many mocks with Mack available at #8 anymore...for whatever that's worth.

Renrut31
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Schefter reporting Toby Gerhart to the Jaguars

VikesfaninWis
03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Fuck, the Bucs signed Verner to a 4 year 26 mil deal with 14mil guaranteed. Davis and Verner are now off the market and the Vikings desperately need a good CB. I hope when Revis is released tomorrow that the Vikes can sign him.

Renrut31
03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
@GoesslingESPN is reporting that Captain Munnerlyn (CB) is visiting the Vikings tonight and tomorrow, and Henry Melton (DT) is visiting tomorrow.

kevoncox
03-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Speilman... gets outsmarted once again.

"Linval Joseph said Atlanta and Oakland were also interested, but no one came close to #Vikings' offer."

MaxVike
03-12-2014, 06:17 PM

"Linval Joseph said Atlanta and Oakland were also interested, but no one came close to #Vikings' offer."

he got the man they obviously targetedů In my view, if Atlanta and/or Oakland wanted him, they are the ones that fucked up.

Also, here's a grading compilation ant perspective from The Norsemanů Free Agency Grades: Linval Joseph - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/12/5499658/free-agency-grades-linval-joseph)

Ted Dibiase
03-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Who is the quote from? I don't believe he was outsmarted. Any rankings I've seen have Joseph rated higher than Solai, and he's five years younger. Atlanta paid Solai more than the Vikes paid Joseph.

2014 NFL Football Free Agents - CBSSports.com Free Agent Tracker (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents/dt)

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2014, 07:35 PM
he got the man they obviously targetedů In my view, if Atlanta and/or Oakland wanted him, they are the ones that fucked up.

Also, here's a grading compilation ant perspective from The Norsemanů Free Agency Grades: Linval Joseph - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/3/12/5499658/free-agency-grades-linval-joseph)

I agree. Besides, if a team offers more than the last one, an agent would be stupid to disclose that. His job is to get the best possible deal for his client, and in turn, the agent gets a bigger payday.

Renrut31
03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Schefter reporting Revis to the Patriots....1 yr for $12 million

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
That was a good read Max, and I felt the same way as soon as they signed him. This kid is a young version of Pat Williams and will be a difference maker for our DL.

VikesfaninWis
03-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Schefter reporting Revis to the Patriots....1 yr for $12 million

Not bad for a DB of his caliber. Still wish the Vikes would have went after him.

Renrut31
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Vikings re-signed WR Jerome Simpson

VikesfaninWis
03-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Vikings re-signed WR Jerome Simpson

The party has started...

Renrut31
03-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Chris Cook is off to SF. Darn it!! Haha

Renrut31
03-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Greenway takes a pay cut. Salary now $5.5 million (now all fully guaranteed). Also the Vikings can now release him after the season and save $7 million, if he has another bad season. Felton also redid his contract to save some more cap space. Reported by The Viking Age.

VikingsFan1234
03-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Sounds like you want him back, seriously dude, Chris damn sucks

VikingsFan1234
03-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Greenway takes a pay cut. Salary now $5.5 million (now all fully guaranteed). Also the Vikings can now release him after the season and save $7 million, if he has another bad season. Felton also redid his contract to save some more cap space. Reported by The Viking Age.

Nice! It would suck to find Greenway's replacement if he is released though

Renrut31
03-15-2014, 11:19 AM
No, I want nothing to do with Cook. That's what the "Haha" was for. Never did like the guy. Sanford also took a pay cut. Peppers has signed with the Puckers.

VikesfaninWis
03-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Addition by subtraction. I like it.

Renrut31
03-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Charlie Johnson re-signs for 2 years - $5 million. Can't say I like this one. He wasn't any good last year.

Renrut31
03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Vikings lose out on Melton. He signed with Cowboys.