PDA

View Full Version : Gabbert or Cousins?

johnkdbr
02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Skins want a 2nd round pick for Cousins & I think New England would would go for a 3rd round pick for Gabbert. I really like Gabbert & Shanahan loved Cousins. Top 3 QB's will most likely not be there come the 8th pick & I would hate to see us trade up. We know we will eventually grab a QB in either the 2nd or 3rd round so why not trade for one of these QB's expecially Gabbert for a 3rd round pick. I think he's the real deal plus he's been under Bellecheck for 3 years.

kevoncox
02-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Skins want a 2nd round pick for Cousins & I think New England would would go for a 3rd round pick for Gabbert. I really like Gabbert & Shanahan loved Cousins. Top 3 QB's will most likely not be there come the 8th pick & I would hate to see us trade up. We know we will eventually grab a QB in either the 2nd or 3rd round so why not trade for one of these QB's expecially Gabbert for a 3rd round pick. I think he's the real deal plus he's been under Bellecheck for 3 years.

Mallet not Gabbert (he plays for jacksonville)

drewlovs
02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I like Cousins if we only had to give up the 2nd round pick, though I would prefer one of the 3rd round picks we have.

Ted Dibiase
02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
I'd be very surprised if NE gives up Mallet for a 3rd...unless those character concerns that allowed them to draft him in the 3rd are legit and they want to unload him.

purpleblood32
02-20-2014, 03:10 PM
what has cousins show anybody ha ha o-4... 4 tds 7 ints ...is completion ratio and qb rating sucks ..,why would you give up anything ...he has only proved he can lose a game for you i guess he looked good doing it i dont know what people are thinking draft a rookie

cousins isnt the kind of vet you sign

C Mac D
02-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah... think you mean Mallet. I'd trade for Mallot in a heartbeat before Cousins.

Cousins is not that great of a QB. He had 8 TDs, 10 INTs and a 56% completion... that doesn't scream starter to me.

Mallet doesn't have any starts to judge his play, but I have much more faith in someone that has been Brady's understudy for the past three years. He's also looked great in preseason.

drewlovs
02-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah... think you mean Mallet. I'd trade for Mallot in a heartbeat before Cousins.

Cousins is not that great of a QB. He had 8 TDs, 10 INTs and a 56% completion... that doesn't scream starter to me.

Mallet doesn't have any starts to judge his play, but I have much more faith in someone that has been Brady's understudy for the past three years. He's also looked great in preseason.

If you focused on the last three games of 2013, when the team had all but given up and there was major drama over benching RGIII, I can understand why you feel this way. but personally, I don't think 2013 told us a whole lot about Cousins.

When the team was on the right track in 2012, and they were playoff bound, he was a competent QB backing up RGIII.

Which QB is he depends, IMO, on what the team surrounding him gives him to use.

Tad7
02-21-2014, 08:16 AM

I'm not gonna pretend like I remember any Patriots pre-season games but just yesterday I read this article on NESN thay says the opposite of that.

Mallett has attempted just four regular-season passes in his three years with the Patriots. He has struggled in his preseason appearances.
Report: Patriots Want Second-Round Draft Pick In A Ryan Mallett Trade | New England Patriots | NESN.com (http://nesn.com/2014/02/report-patriots-want-second-round-pick-in-ryan-mallett-trade/)

Even a 3rd round pick is a lot to give up for a guy in the last year of his rookie deal with almost literally nothing positive in t he NFL to go on.

Ted Dibiase
02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Even a 3rd round pick is a lot to give up for a guy in the last year of his rookie deal with almost literally nothing positive in t he NFL to go on.

I think the fact that he's nearing the end of his rookie deal is pretty significant. But the positive side of that is he is plenty young yet and has experience, even though he hasn't seen much action. Rather than take a chance on someone like Carr or McCarron, I wouldn't mind them using their 2nd on him. Big guy, big arm...kind of guy Norv likes. Lombardi from NFL network said NE actually had him as the top QB in the draft that included Kaepernick, Dalton, Locker...and Ponder and Gabbert. It was the off field stuff that dropped him. Who knows, maybe a few million dollars lost due to stupidity was all the wakeup he needed.
Perfect fit for Mallett? - NFL Videos (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f97efa/Perfect-fit-for-Mallett)

drewlovs
02-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Of these 2 QBs, Cousins is the only one who has any real experience to draw conclusions off of. In the 2012 season, when the games meant something and the team was energized, he look as good as RGIII at times, though not as mobile. He won games under immense pressure, and the team rallied around him.

In 2013, the dynamics were VERY different. The team was playing for nothing, many players had sided with RGIII and given up on the head coach, and the HC was playing games with not only the QBs but, if you remember, he was playing round-robin with the RBs. Morris was the best on the field, but there was no guarantee that he would even get the ball. Shaningan's game decisions were horrible. In the atmosphere, Cousins looked as bad as the rest of the team.

I submit to you that the next team Cousins plays for will not be as septic as Washington was last year, and he will be more like the Cousins of 2012 than last year. Only time will tell, obviously, but there is more reason to think he is 2012 good than 2013 bad.

purpleblood32
02-21-2014, 08:08 PM
cousins was 1-1 in 2012 and threw more ints than tds...reguardless of who we draft or what vet we sign ...they will have to be coached up...alot of question marks on both sides....
now with mallet playing for belicheck i say positive ...hopefully he has learned how to prepare study film and practice like a pro ....
we need to surround our qb with a solid o line our o line is over rated ...give him weapons...and need to have a defence that does rank last in pionts give up and second to last in yards giving up ...it would be nice to get a vet qb..we can focous on the draft get a qb in the 3 rd or 4th round

Minniman
02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
No top three picks for guys who could be come free agents soon enough.

Giving up high picks on unknown quantities is not a good way to build a team.

12purplepride28
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM

I'd argue that a third round draft pick is as much of an unknown quantity as Mallet.

12purplepride28
02-24-2014, 09:47 AM

If I recall correctly you and I were two of the only people on here that wanted Mallet in the draft. I'd certainly take him over Ponder. Can't be much worse.

Ted Dibiase
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM

If we're looking for a long-term answer, there is no known quantity for QB options. They have either limited NFL game experience or none. I look it as getting a young talented QB who has learned the ropes of being a pro, albeit with a different team. I see your point on the impending free agency, but with AP's age I don't think they should be thinking exclusively long-term. Let's take Mallett as an example. He's got every bit of talent that you could ask for. Yes, we'd have to re-sign him after one year. If he does well, it will cost us, and I'm okay with that scenario because we'd have our QB with lots of years left. Drafting a QB, whether high or low, carries its own risks, the main one being the window of time that it takes to decide if he's the guy.

Minniman
02-25-2014, 10:10 AM
If we're looking for a long-term answer, there is no known quantity for QB options. They have either limited NFL game experience or none. I look it as getting a young talented QB who has learned the ropes of being a pro, albeit with a different team. I see your point on the impending free agency, but with AP's age I don't think they should be thinking exclusively long-term. Let's take Mallett as an example. He's got every bit of talent that you could ask for. Yes, we'd have to re-sign him after one year. If he does well, it will cost us, and I'm okay with that scenario because we'd have our QB with lots of years left. Drafting a QB, whether high or low, carries its own risks, the main one being the window of time that it takes to decide if he's the guy.
Mallett has almost no in-game NFL experience. Why would he be more ready than other clip-holders in the NFL? I am not against picking up a guy like Mallett, but using high draft picks to get him is not a good way to build the team.

The Vikings needed a seasoned veteran at quarterback if they wanted to challenge for anything but a bunch of booby prizes in the playoffs. They picked up Cassel, who is not great, and started Ponder, who makes Cassel look better than he is because Ponder is so bad.

Mallett is not a Drew Brees or Alex Smith quick fix. He is a project and an unknown quantity. Could Mallett be good, certainly, but the risks are as high as drafting a rookie in the third round with the same pick.

P.S. Mallett was drafted with the Vikings' pick obtained by New England in the Moss deal. If this GM had done his job right, Mallett could have been here already.

jargomcfargo
02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Mallett, why ? He's a back up. Vikings have had plenty of those. Just say no to Malett.

tastywaves
02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
The unknown is always intriguing, but that is all he is. He could be great or he could be just another bum like 90% of the QB's in the league. How much are you willing to risk that he beats those odds.

If he is any good at all, then NE will have the highest value on him due to their familiarity and training in their system. He either comes expensively or NE doesn't think much of him. Both situations are far from ideal for MN.

drewlovs
02-25-2014, 12:19 PM
The unknown is always intriguing, but that is all he is. He could be great or he could be just another bum like 90% of the QB's in the league. How much are you willing to risk that he beats those odds.

If he is any good at all, then NE will have the highest value on him due to their familiarity and training in their system. He either comes expensively or NE doesn't think much of him. Both situations are far from ideal for MN.

A legit starting QB is worth a 2nd round pick, which is still expensive, but leaves our 1st round pick available for a stud...or multiple studs if we trade down a few spots. At this point, and using the Vikings schematic here http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4023885/Lineup-MIN.png our OL and weapons would make a Alex Smith type QB look Bradyesque. We just need to FIND that competent QB if we don't get one of the top trio.

kevoncox
02-25-2014, 05:57 PM
If I recall correctly you and I were two of the only people on here that wanted Mallet in the draft. I'd certainly take him over Ponder. Can't be much worse.

I was also a Mallett fan. I wanted him badly.

Ted Dibiase
02-25-2014, 06:33 PM
The Patriots had him as the best QB in the draft. They drafted him 3rd round because they thought he was way too good to be there, even though they had no real need of him. Since then all we know is that he's not good enough to unseat Brady. He's done more than hold a clipboard. He's gone through game prep for three years and run scout team offense. Not trying to overstate, but being a pro for three years carries some value. Tasty, I think there may be something to your argument, but I think it's just as likely that Brady plays 4-5 more years and they want to get him all the help they can for another run.

tastywaves
02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
The Patriots had him as the best QB in the draft. They drafted him 3rd round because they thought he was way too good to be there, even though they had no real need of him. Since then all we know is that he's not good enough to unseat Brady. He's done more than hold a clipboard. He's gone through game prep for three years and run scout team offense. Not trying to overstate, but being a pro for three years carries some value. Tasty, I think there may be something to your argument, but I think it's just as likely that Brady plays 4-5 more years and they want to get him all the help they can for another run.

Another thing to consider is that in the limited playing time he has had (primarily in pre-season), he has done nothing to show that he is anything special. I think folks are enamored because New England selected him and he has been in their system for 3 years. I don't put much merit in being in NE's system. I think much like Favre and Peyton, Brady is what makes them click and not the coaching staff.

Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of Belichick. I am a fan of Tom Brady, and quite a bit jealous.

I see Mallet as nothing but an unknown. Definitely not worthy of a 2nd round pick, I would rather pursue re-signing Cassel and drafting a QB over giving up high draft picks for Mallet.