PDA

View Full Version : which vet qb will the vikes bring ...who do you think they should sign

purpleblood32
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
im liking... vick ...sanchez

vikingsfan620
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I think the QB situation is an easy solution and is also a rumor... I say trade a 3rd round pick to NE for Ryan Mallett. He is the exact mold of the type QB Norv Turner loves. Plus he has 3 years experience, yet limited in play, he has still been learning behind one of the best for those 3 years. Then draft David Fales in the 3rd with the other pick. Thats two solid QBs for 8 to 10 years minimum. No veteran is worth the risk this year

313zoe
02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I would still have to say Cassel and draft a QB like Jimmy Garoppolo

vikingsfan620
02-16-2014, 09:41 PM
They could go the Cassel route and draft a QB in the 4th round Fales or Garoppolo. Then next year when Ponder leaves sign a top FA QB next off season. ? Where Dalton, Newton, Locker, Tolzien, Gabbert, and even Ryan Mallett are some available next year. Whatever the decision I hope its not Ponder. Thats all that matters to me

purpledoom
02-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Just heard on First Take they're bringing Ponder back. Exactly what that means I'm not sure. I wouldn't trade picks for Mallet. Cassel sat behind Brady also and while he can be good he's not a franchise qb. I still like Manziel although I doubt he will be there at #8. I swear if they draft some no name quarterback to sit behind Ponder I'm gonna puke in my mouth.

tarkenton10
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Just heard on First Take they're bringing Ponder back. Exactly what that means I'm not sure. I wouldn't trade picks for Mallet. Cassel sat behind Brady also and while he can be good he's not a franchise qb. I still like Manziel although I doubt he will be there at #8. I swear if they draft some no name quarterback to sit behind Ponder I'm gonna puke in my mouth.

I think that if they go D with the first pick that they will take Mettenberger in the second or third. He is the type of QB Turner Likes, he has the size and arm strength but also he is a pretty smart guy. I would say they may take him in the second or use the second for more D and trade back into the second for him.

jargomcfargo
02-17-2014, 02:01 PM
I think that if they go D with the first pick that they will take Mettenberger in the second or third. He is the type of QB Turner Likes, he has the size and arm strength but also he is a pretty smart guy. I would say they may take him in the second or use the second for more D and trade back into the second for him.
I favor this scenario, providing one of the top 3 QB's isn't available. Bring Cassel back and give Zach time to develop.

purpleblood32
02-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I favor this scenario, providing one of the top 3 QB's isn't available. Bring Cassel back and give Zach time to develop.

ideally i think vikes want cassel back draft a rookie maybe two and ponder ...but what if cassel signs else where ..ponder isnt the kind of vet mentor you want ..or starter so there has to be a vet with expirence that can come in and play ...who will it be?

C Mac D
02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Cassel is gone and doesn't plan on signing with us next year... so get that out of your heads.

I say trade a 2015 2nd and 4th rounder for Ryan Mallet and focus on defense in the 2014 draft.

jmcdon00
02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
My list from most favored to least.

Sam Bradford- They say he's not available, but I think they might trade him and draft a QB number 2 overall, mostly for salary cap reasons. Might have to give up our first rounder(or maybe swap our first rounder for their 2nd first rounder)

Ryan Mallet - He fell to the 3rd round, many thought he would be a first round pick. He fits the scheme well. Has a cannon for an arm, and is very accurate with the ball. Being on the Patriots bench for 3 years doesn't hurt. (Cassel was a 7th round pick, and has had moderate success following his time with the Patriots). Probably costs a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Matt Schaub - Had a bad year, but he's been very good every other year. Will be released. Fits the scheme well. Doesn't cost any draft picks.

Matt Cassel - He knows the offense, probably comes cheap. Doesn't cost any draft picks.

Michael Vick, I really have very little faith in him, but it would be exciting, and when he's healthy he can be very very good. Doesn't cost any draft picks.

drewlovs
02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I've been watching "Hey Rookie, welcome to the NFL 2011" were Freeman was featured throwing to Mike Williams, and I really liked what I saw. He is the only vet this season who COULD be a star QB, in my opinion. Why not roll 2 dice, instead of a dead-end vet and a possible future QB?

C Mac D
02-17-2014, 04:52 PM
I've been watching "Hey Rookie, welcome to the NFL 2011" were Freeman was featured throwing to Mike Williams, and I really liked what I saw. He is the only vet this season who COULD be a star QB, in my opinion. Why not roll 2 dice, instead of a dead-end vet and a possible future QB?

That's great and all... but have you seen him play since then?

drewlovs
02-17-2014, 05:14 PM
That's great and all... but have you seen him play since then?

No one has, sans the first few games of the season where that ass-hat head coach was constantly trying to undermined him.

Freeman wanted a fresh start in Minnesota, and I think we owe him that much, considering what the team felt we owed Ponder. Freeman has the skill, that doesn't magically disappear; he lost the work ethic in Tampa, let's see if he can find it again for us.

jargomcfargo
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Cassel is gone and doesn't plan on signing with us next year... so get that out of your heads.

I say trade a 2015 2nd and 4th rounder for Ryan Mallet and focus on defense in the 2014 draft.
Don't have a link but heard somewhere that Cassel was interested in returning, but wanted more money. Think it was one of those twin cities radio shows.
I don't care either way since he isn't the long term answer. I just don't want to see Ponder. Spielman needs to admit his mistake and move on.

midgensa
02-17-2014, 05:24 PM
I would not have a problem with Cassel and think that Norv could convince him to come back under the new regime if he is going to be the starter.

Thing is ... Ponder is the backup almost for sure because of money. I guess he could be the No. 3 depending on who we get in the draft. But I would be more than happy with Cassel as the guy if Norv is good with it. Cassel, Ponder and a draft pick is the way to go if we can get someone we like in the second or third round.

purpledoom
02-17-2014, 06:27 PM
My list from most favored to least.

Sam Bradford- They say he's not available, but I think they might trade him and draft a QB number 2 overall, mostly for salary cap reasons. Might have to give up our first rounder(or maybe swap our first rounder for their 2nd first rounder)

Ryan Mallet - He fell to the 3rd round, many thought he would be a first round pick. He fits the scheme well. Has a cannon for an arm, and is very accurate with the ball. Being on the Patriots bench for 3 years doesn't hurt. (Cassel was a 7th round pick, and has had moderate success following his time with the Patriots). Probably costs a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Matt Schaub - Had a bad year, but he's been very good every other year. Will be released. Fits the scheme well. Doesn't cost any draft picks.

Matt Cassel - He knows the offense, probably comes cheap. Doesn't cost any draft picks.

Michael Vick, I really have very little faith in him, but it would be exciting, and when he's healthy he can be very very good. Doesn't cost any draft picks.

NO thanks to Schaub, I really doubt Bradford will be available and with the way our oline protected Ponder and Cassel last year he wouldn't last long. I have nothing against Vick but again I think he's and injury waiting to happen. Mallet is an unknown as far as how good he will be.

vikingsfan620
02-17-2014, 06:56 PM
The QB I would like to be brought in are eitherof the 2 between Fales and Murray. I love both of these guys and think 3rd round for Fales and probably 5th for Murray. But outside of Carr I don't care for the top QBs as franchise guys. Ponder will not be the stater here again

purpledoom
02-17-2014, 08:18 PM
My second choice after Manziel, again I know that isn't going to happen is McCarron. Don't ask me to explain I can't really. It's just that after watching him I think he's another that could be really good.