PDA

View Full Version : keep the 8th pick dont trade away 1 piece gold for two silver

purpleblood32
02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
at the 8th pick we might be looking at one of the four top players at their position olb mack- barr ... 1st ilb mosely 2nd rated wr mike evans ...you dont get to pick top talent like this every year only detriot does ha ha

313zoe
02-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Tha vikings have a lot of holes and tha more draft picks u have tha more players u have to fill depth at positions u are weak at so yes they need to trade back and still land a good player at a need like CB, DT, LB,DE,SS,WR,QB

jmcdon00
02-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Move back and watch as teams rush to draft offensive tackles and wide receivers we have no interest in. Lots of Gold is found after the first 8 picks.

purpleblood32
02-14-2014, 09:55 PM
ur not finding lbs like barr, mack or moseley after the 10 pick ...these guys are game changers....there is a drop off after them ...when you get a 8th pick take it ...everybody sez trade down because qb wont be there ...so we dont get our franchise qb ...why not take a sure thing with a lb ....
in the past we would drop down and still get our man...and an extra pick ...but to give up an blue chip player once in a life time guy for two maybes ...i dont get it ...thats just me...we will see if ZIM WANTS TO GIVE UP A BLUE CHIP DEFENCE PLAYER ...FOR AN EXTRA PICK

Rage4Order
02-15-2014, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't give up the 8th pick, would pick defense all the way. Whoever they have rated as top defensive player left on board. I believe this should be a defensive heavy draft for us.

jmcdon00
02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
ur not finding lbs like barr, mack or moseley after the 10 pick ...these guys are game changers....there is a drop off after them ...when you get a 8th pick take it ...everybody sez trade down because qb wont be there ...so we dont get our franchise qb ...why not take a sure thing with a lb ....
in the past we would drop down and still get our man...and an extra pick ...but to give up an blue chip player once in a life time guy for two maybes ...i dont get it ...thats just me...we will see if ZIM WANTS TO GIVE UP A BLUE CHIP DEFENCE PLAYER ...FOR AN EXTRA PICK
I'd bet a dollar that at least one of the three linebackers listed makes it to pick 15.

midgensa
02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't give up the 8th pick, would pick defense all the way. Whoever they have rated as top defensive player left on board. I believe this should be a defensive heavy draft for us.

I would have no problem with us trading the 8th pick to back up to somewhere in the early teens (13 or 14) if we can pick up a third or even a second ... and draft DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE ... Of course we will go QB at some point ... but if we like Carr, McCarron, Boyd, etc. we should be able to nab one in the second round.

I would have no problem with the attempt to build a nasty defense.

purpleblood32
02-15-2014, 07:13 PM
ive read where vikings drop down to 11-14 pick there will be a good defence player available ..and get another pick ....one problem those teams dont want to move up to number 8 ha ha why should they....giants pitt tennessee

purplepat
02-16-2014, 06:16 AM
I think it all depends on what pick(s) they are trading down, and who might be available with the first traded down pick in lieu of who we passed on at #8. I'd hate to pass on a guy like Mack, but would you be comfortable with C.J. Mosely and a 3rd rounder to boot? Or maybe a Dennard or Gilbert, or a Nix, or a Carr, with an extra 2nd rounder? I think there are going to be a ton of very good players in the first half of the 2nd round. You'll still have a great shot at some LBs like Van Noy and Shazier, probably all of the top guards except for Zack Martin, maybe a few DTs, some of the lesser QBs. Lot of value to be had by having 5 picks in the first three rounds.

2beersTommy
02-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Why A Quarterback At #8 Might Not Be The Best Move - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/2/16/5416068/why-a-quarterback-at-8-might-not-be-the-best-move)

jargomcfargo
02-16-2014, 11:05 AM
at the 8th pick we might be looking at one of the four top players at their position olb mack- barr ... 1st ilb mosely 2nd rated wr mike evans ...you dont get to pick top talent like this every year only detriot does ha ha
Having a lot of silver is really what makes a championship team. A few pieces of gold aren't enough. If there is no QB available at 8, I would have no problem with moving back to pick up another piece of silver. You should still be able to strike gold in the top 15 picks as well.

purpleblood32
02-16-2014, 12:06 PM
i think we stay at 8...pick best available even if its a wr....best available is always ur best bet ...we have seen drafting for need is a big mistake ...last years draft ...well corardelle patterson is a great pick ...to soon to tell on sharrif floyd and xavier rhodes ...remeber they were all 1st rounders ...then we used 6 more picks from the fourth round down ...none of them are worth much ....so nine picks one starter two may start just because we have to start them not say they arent good but....
so with that said do we really need a late 1st rounder an a extra 2nd or third ..to make a good draft ...ha ha i think not just do a better job drafting keep the 8th pick

purpleblood32
02-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Mack all time leader with 16 forced fumbles ...75 tackles for lost tied for most in history....he has been compared to clay mathews...just me but he sounds like a game changer thats why he will be gone after the 10 pick ....trade down you wont find a guy like him ....so you get two filling guys and loss a game changer ...

tnorland
02-16-2014, 01:45 PM
By listing those guys, you just made my point. If they are all on the board and we could still get one of them by trading back, you're telling me you wouldn't?

jargomcfargo
02-16-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm ok with staying with the 8th pick and taking the best player available, but championships are built on making wise choices in the second to seventh round and not wasting picks.
The great talent evaluators find gold in the later rounds and in undrafted free agents. Not exactly a strong suit of Spielman's so far.

purpleblood32
02-16-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm ok with staying with the 8th pick and taking the best player available, but championships are built on making wise choices in the second to seventh round and not wasting picks.
The great talent evaluators find gold in the later rounds and in undrafted free agents. Not exactly a strong suit of Spielman's so far.

i agree finding gold in late rounds and developing young talent ...i feel confident in our coaching staff that we will develope our players ..cant remember last time i said that ....but like smegmavike said spieiman draft drops off the chart after 3 rd ....getting extra picks are good if you can find talent ...i know with the 8th pick we will get a quality player dropping back the bottom of the top is harder to find blue chip than in the top 10 ...
hey if we do drop back find a couple of gems hell yeah i love it ...but a mack type player hey what do i know teams pass on players all the time randy moss, AP....

purpleblood32
02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
hey i believe put you can win with ...good football players you can't have a team with all pros at every position ....BUT WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE TO DRAFT A PLAYER WITH ALL PRO POTENTIAL YOU TAKE HIM OVER TWO GUYS THAT MIGHT GET THE JOB DONE ....CLOWENY IS THAT TYPE IM not SAYING MACK IS but he is CLOSE IM SAYING CLOSE....everybody else you have a question mark

vikingsfan620
02-16-2014, 08:12 PM
I think if Mack is off the board they trade down and try to land Hageman or Dennard while picking up a 2nd and 4th rounder ... Also I love Khalil Mack he is by far the best LB in this Draft if he's there DO NOT pass on him. The Draft is fairly deep this year so we will still get talent deep into this Draft... SKOL

vikingsfan620
02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Xavier Rhodes was phenomenal in his time playing. Plus with the new defensive scheme coming in it will actually help him develop further, same with Floyd. Hodges, Baca, Mauti, Locke, they are all starter capable and Locke is a very good punter. They actually only had 8 picks, none in the 2nd or 3rd .. And it off those picks, 4 to 6 starters ( Baca and Mauti will have to win their positions,) Hodges I can see staying this year in Zimmers defense.

tarkenton10
02-17-2014, 08:47 AM
i agree finding gold in late rounds and developing young talent ...i feel confident in our coaching staff that we will develope our players ..cant remember last time i said that ....but like smegmavike said spieiman draft drops off the chart after 3 rd ....getting extra picks are good if you can find talent ...i know with the 8th pick we will get a quality player dropping back the bottom of the top is harder to find blue chip than in the top 10 ...
hey if we do drop back find a couple of gems hell yeah i love it ...but a mack type player hey what do i know teams pass on players all the time randy moss, AP....

I don't believe that to be true, just look at the fourth round or later of his recent drafts.

2007- 4th round -Brian Robison
2008 - 5th round - Letroy Guion
6th Round - John Sullivan
2009 - 5th Round - Jasper Brinkley
2010 - 4th Round -Everson Griffin
2011 - 4th Round -Christian Ballard-Quit but a great talent no one would have predicted quitting.
2012- 4th round - Jarius Wright, Rhett Ellison & Greg Childs
6th round - Blair Walsh
7th Round - Audie Cole, Trevor Guyton

jargomcfargo
02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't believe that to be true, just look at the fourth round or later of his recent drafts.

2007- 4th round -Brian Robison
2008 - 5th round - Letroy Guion
6th Round - John Sullivan
2009 - 5th Round - Jasper Brinkley
2010 - 4th Round -Everson Griffin
2011 - 4th Round -Christian Ballard-Quit but a great talent no one would have predicted quitting.
2012- 4th round - Jarius Wright, Rhett Ellison & Greg Childs
6th round - Blair Walsh
7th Round - Audie Cole, Trevor Guyton

Five out of those 12 are pretty good.

tarkenton10
02-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Five out of those 12 are pretty good.

Yeah, and considering that Brinkley is starting on another team , Ballard quit and Childs who I think is a great WR blew out both knee caps.
Add to that I think they should use Ellison more than they do, he is very talented and versatile, I hope Turner gets more out of him.

purpleblood32
02-21-2014, 01:54 PM
well looking at the draft chart value ..no way will we trade up to 2nd pick ...2nd pick value is 2,6oo....we have 8th valued at 1,400....plus rams dont want to drop that low ..really ...
if we trade down say to 16 pick its 1,000 value we get two more pick in the third one high other low that would give us ten picks ...bet on shante,,, not going to happen thank god

vikingsfan620
02-22-2014, 01:47 PM
It's actually 7 of them that are pretty Good.......Robison,Sullivan,Griffen,Wright,Walsh,Cole,And Ellison though they need to use him more and I think this year they will

jargomcfargo
02-22-2014, 03:02 PM
It's actually 7 of them that are pretty Good.......Robison,Sullivan,Griffen,Wright,Walsh,Cole,And Ellison though they need to use him more and I think this year they will
Cole and Ellison ? Really ? They have a lot to prove before I would say they are more than back ups.
In addition, Sullivan has calf problems that hamper his play frequently, and Griffen, for all of his flashes, was quite inconsistent last year and disappeared at times. Wright has potential but isn't there yet.
So yes, I see five of them as good, but if Spielman is doing such a fine job, why do the Vikings lack depth, and have players like Robinson, Sanford, Sherels (at CB), Henderson at MLB, Guion at DT, and Mitchell at LB ?
When you give away picks to move up in the draft, depth suffers.

purpleblood32
02-22-2014, 05:46 PM
those guys you mentioned are average not including robosin...MOST ARE back upS .....ur list started 6 YEARS AGO ...HIS AVERAGE LATE ROUND GOOD PICKS IS ABOUT ONE A YEAR ..HA HA WITH A 4,5,6.7, ROUNDS SOOO LETS SAY WE GOT 3 *STARTERS* OUT OF ATLEAST THE LAST* 24* PICKS...HOW DO YOU GRADE THAT ..

IM BEING UNFAIR LETS SAY A TEAM GET TWO STARTERS IN THE DRAFT EACH YEAR ANYMORE THAN THAT YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB BUT YOU HAVE TO DRAFT PLAYERS THAT DEVELOPE TWO THREE YEARS DOWN THE ROAD HOW MANY???WELL I THINK THATS THE KEY .SPIELMAN JUST DRAFTS BODIES AFTER THE 3RD ROUND IT SEEMS TO ME

2beersTommy
02-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Khalil Mack NFL Combine Profile - Bull Run (http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/2/21/5422970/khalil-mack-nfl-combine-profile)

"Most mock drafts I have seen have Mack going between 6-8 to the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Bucs, or the Atlanta Falcons. Some have suggested he may go in the top three depending on if this is a QB year or not. Truth be known if Mack slips lower than 8th in the draft I'll be amazed. Anyone after 8 could take him so it's hard to predict exactly what the draft will bring."

jargomcfargo
02-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Khalil Mack NFL Combine Profile - Bull Run (http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/2/21/5422970/khalil-mack-nfl-combine-profile)

"Most mock drafts I have seen have Mack going between 6-8 to the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Bucs, or the Atlanta Falcons. Some have suggested he may go in the top three depending on if this is a QB year or not. Truth be known if Mack slips lower than 8th in the draft I'll be amazed. Anyone after 8 could take him so it's hard to predict exactly what the draft will bring."
Unless they are reaching on a QB or mining for more picks, I don't see how the Vikings could pass on Mack if he is there at pick 8.

purpleblood32
02-24-2014, 12:03 PM
I see us taking a qb ..later in the draft and developing him ....he might have to start day one so what get the reps and learn ...lets build an o line that can protect him at least pick up a guard fa and draft ....watkins and patterson with rudolfat te ap in the backfield yeah bthat would be intersting