PDA

View Full Version : Make your own mock draft as GM of the Vikings

gamecocksbaseball31
02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Draft as if you are the GM everything else is randomly generated based on team needs. Post your best draft and lets discuss!

Fanspeak's On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/)

VikingsFan1234
02-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Draft as if you are the GM everything else is randomly generated based on team needs. Post your best draft and lets discuss!

Fanspeak's On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/)

I picked CB DARQUEZE DENNARD

313zoe
02-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Draft Anthony Barr wit tha 8th pick if he is gone they should take Khalil Mack, or C.J. Mosely and draft a QB in tha 2nd round and draft a CB and DT wit em two 3rd pick

gamecocksbaseball31
02-02-2014, 01:12 PM
This is probably one of my top 2.

1. Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
2. Justin Gilbert CB OKST
3. Ra'Shede Hageman DT MINN
3. Stanley Jean-Babtiste CB NEB
4. Marcus Smith DE Louisville
5. Adrian Hubbard OLB Alabama
6. Tajh Boyd QB Clemson
7. Cody Latimere WR Indiana

mountainviking
02-03-2014, 11:33 AM
This is probably one of my top 2.

1. Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
2. Justin Gilbert CB OKST
3. Ra'Shede Hageman DT MINN
3. Stanley Jean-Babtiste CB NEB
4. Marcus Smith DE Louisville
5. Adrian Hubbard OLB Alabama
6. Tajh Boyd QB Clemson
7. Cody Latimere WR Indiana

Wow! That is a fun page right there!! Thanks for sharing!!!

That would be an awesome draft...for defense! Only taking one QB and that late might not sit well with most fans tho...and, most mocks I'm seeing have your top 3 picks ALL going in the first round, but ya never know!? ;)

My first try came out like this:

1. Khalil Mack, LB...pure BPA pick in my mind who improves run D, pass rush, and coverage mid field.
2. Jimmy Garappolo, QB...Slight reach maybe, but great numbers and high potential.
3. Kyle Fuller, CB..."Aversatile DB with the athleticism to cover and the aggressiveness to play the run."
3. Marcus Smith, DE...

In that mock, HaHa Clinton-Dix was still there at our 2nd pick and pairing him with Smith at Safety was too tempting, so I had to run another one and see how late I could go QB and still get one near the top of the 2nd tier...

1. Khalil Mack again
2. Hageman, DT MN...HaHa was gone this time, but grabbing the local kid with the frame to add more muscle and potential to dominate (albeit with more focus) at this point would probably be an absolute steal.
3. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB improvement is a must for us. From CBS "COMPARES TO: Brandon Browner, Seattle Seahawks - Like Browner, Jean-Baptiste combines size, ball skills and surprising fluidity to intrigue as a super-sized cornerback." An excellent pick here and the QB market has not changed since Carr went to the Cardinals at pick 20 in the first round.
3. Garappolo, QB...LAST pick of the 3rd, and Mettenberger was still there too. I was thinking about grabbing him with our next pick, early 4th, but JAGs grabbed him 3 picks before ours. Murrey, McCarron, Smith, Fales, Boyd are all still on the board. Point is, if we're not really, really stoked on the QB we take in the 2nd or 3rd, we can back him up with another similar project a round or two later, and roughly double our chances of one of them working out pretty well.
4. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE from Texas...the 4th has been good for us for finding DEs, and there are still a bunch of QBs left to choose from.

We land a good project QB who can sit behind Cassell or McCown or ??? for a year AND we improve all three levels of our defense with top prospects with very high ceilings!! This would be an incredible draft and a BIG step toward a strong, young team.

2beersTommy
02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
ilb c.j. Mosley
alabama
s ha’sean clinton-dix
alabama
dt will sutton
arizona state
qb jimmy garoppolo
eastern illinois
cb jaylen watkins
florida

2beersTommy
02-03-2014, 06:12 PM
qb teddy bridgewater
louisville
s ha’sean clinton-dix
alabama
dt will sutton
arizona state
cb terrance mitchell
oregon
qb jimmy garoppolo
eastern illinois

2beersTommy
02-03-2014, 06:22 PM
wr sammy watkins
clemson
dt ra’shede hageman
minnesota
cb loucheiz purifoy
florida
ilb christian jones
florida state
qb jimmy garoppolo
eastern illinois

kevoncox
02-03-2014, 07:33 PM
8 OLB KHALIL MACK BUFFALO
40 S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX ALABAMA
72 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINOIS
96 CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE NEBRASKA
104 CB KEITH MCGILL UTAH
136 RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS OREGON

We draft Boyd with the next pick and address Guard ad Oline Debt later.

MY dream Draft. Two 6'3 corners, DAT, A QB and a Stud LB. Only thing we are missing is a NT, which we sign in FA from the Packer s.

The Supreme De'Anthony Thomas Highlights The Black Mamba - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmi_e6B7DU)

Can you imagine Peterson and DAT flanking Jimmy Grap with Patterson Motioning down the line. Things that keep DCs up at night.

Ted Dibiase
02-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Fun site...very entertaining. I did two drafts, and the second one had Carr going #1 overall and Manziel #39.

Mr Anderson
02-03-2014, 09:15 PM
8 OLB KHALIL MACK BUFFALO
72 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINOIS
96 CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE NEBRASKA
104 CB KEITH MCGILL UTAH
136 RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS OREGON

We draft Boyd with the next pick and address Guard ad Oline Debt later.

MY dream Draft. Two 6'3 corners, DAT, A QB and a Stud LB. Only thing we are missing is a NT, which we sign in FA from the Packer s.

The Supreme De'Anthony Thomas Highlights The Black Mamba - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmi_e6B7DU)

Can you imagine Peterson and DAT flanking Jimmy Grap with Patterson Motioning down the line. Things that keep DCs up at night.

Love the HaHa and DAT picks. I have a hard time seeing both corners being available. McGill's stock is on the rise after the Senior Bowl. If we could get both of them that would be sweet.

I'm not sold on Garopolo, but I don't hate the idea. Seems like a promising QB from everything I read.

Mine looked like this:
R1 OT JAKE MATTHEWS
TEXAS A&M
R2 S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX
ALABAMA
R3 ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE
R3 DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
R4 WR BRANDON COLEMAN
RUTGERS

I really couldn't pass up Matthews when he fell to 8. That's a steal. With him and Kalil as bookends, we could bump Loadholt inside and turn him into a beast of a road grader and nose tackle eliminating down-blocker. That's a hell of an o-line.

Christian Jones in round 3 seems impossible. That's a huge upgrade for the LB corps. A no-brainer. Florida state used him as a pass rusher a lot this season, so he should be a good blitzer for Zimmer to move around.

Jeffcoat is a little bit light, but that's obviously fixable. He's smooth and quick off the edge. I mentioned in a different thread that a lot of Seattle's defensive success comes from their depth at DE. They rotate in guys with fresh legs constantly and beat people off the ball and around the edge.

Admittedly, I'm a little biased when it comes to Brandon Coleman. Many posters here know I went to Rutgers. But he's a damn good receiver. He's huge at 6'6" 230+ has soft hands, high points the ball. He was pretty banged up this season, but in 2012 he was crazy good. If he stuck around at Rutgers for one more season and had success in their first season in the Big Ten, he could have been a first or second round pick. I feel like the Vikes could use a big red zone target to compliment Rudolph.

I'm not sure why Joe Webb can't be that guy. His size, athleticism, hand size and leaping ability would make you think that he'd be a very good jump ball receiver. I'm curious what Turner and the rest of the new offensive coaches want to do with him. He's a free agent though, so they may not have much opportunity to test him out. I have a strange feeling that he's going to end up in New England.

I regret not taking a QB, but Garoppolo, McCarron, Murray, Shaw and Savage are still on the board in my scenario.

Dibbzz
02-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Here's mine. Wouldn't this be the shit if this ever happened?

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

S CALVIN PRYOR
LOUISVILLE

DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
FLORIDA

CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE
NEBRASKA

CB TERRANCE MITCHELL
OREGON

RB STORM JOHNSON
UCF

ILB DEDE LATTIMORE
SOUTH FLORIDA

S VINNIE SUNSERI
ALABAMA

i_bleed_purple
02-04-2014, 08:50 AM
I just did top 3 rounds, as I'm not very familiar with players past there, but wound up with 3 Bama players (2 defense, who have a history of playing together, which would be great)

R1
ILB C.J. MOSLEY ALABAMA (Mack was off the board, fills a hole and provides an immediate starter)
R2
S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX ALABAMA (Another immediate starter to play along Smith)
R3
QB A.J. MCCARRON ALABAMA (Solution at QB)
R3
DT DAQUAN JONES PENN STATE (Starter at NT alongside Floyd)

i_bleed_purple
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Here's mine. Wouldn't this be the shit if this ever happened?

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

Any draft taking Manziel that high is shit, not "The Shit" ;)

i_bleed_purple
02-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I have a feeling there will be a huge run on QBs. I think Bortles, Manziel, Bridewater, and Carr could all go first round. AJ, Garropalo, Mettenberger could all go 2nd round. There are going to be guys reaching at QB way early, we need to make sure that's not us.

vikesrgreat2
02-04-2014, 09:45 AM
I tried the seven-round mock draft, and this is who I picked for the Vikings:

Round 1 (#8) - OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo (BPA at a position of need)

Round 2 (#40) - S Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama (put him with Harrison Smith to solve our problems at safety)

Round 3 (#72) - QB Zach Mettenberger, LSU (best+value QB with a strong arm - upgrade from who we have now on the roster)

Round 3 (#96) - DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas (this is a needed pick if Jared Allen leaves the team. Father Jim Jeffcoat played for the Cowboys!)

Round 4 (#104) - CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida (a new CB to compete with others on the roster)

Round 5 (#136) - QB Aaron Murphy, Georgia (QB is a MAJOR problem on the roster! Third-round value in the fifth round! Cassel, Mettenberger, and Murray seems to fix the problem at QB, once and for all.)

Round 6 (#168) - RB DeAnthony Thomas, Oregon (He can be our version of Darren Sproles or Dexter McCluster. Adds speed to the team!)

Round 7 (#200) - WR Matt Hazel, Coastal Carolina (best available player at a position of need. Will he make the roster?)

mountainviking
02-04-2014, 11:40 AM
hehe...too much fun!! Here's my defense first mock...same QB, Garappolo with our 4th round pick!?

1. Darqueze Dennard, possibly the best CB in this draft!?
2. Haha Clinton Dix, S...could be an awesome combo with Smith (tho I'm not totally against giving Sendejo a chance to start with him either)
3. Will Sutton, DT from Arizona (Compares to Geno Atkins, good strength but slightly short for DT, but that may provide a leverage advantage if use correctly)
3. Marcus Smith, DE Good strength, size and speed. Probably go earlier to a 3-4 team.
4. The QB

Top notch potential at the parts needed for a quick turn around on the worst pass defense in the league...and, still getting a project QB with good potential. I don't think he will really last this long, but it sure looks good now.

The thing with QBs is, there are only so many teams looking for one, and once they draft that one, they're usually out of the market. Most teams already have a starter and a backup they're happy with. A few other teams may be looking to the future, like Andy Reid always does, but after the top guys go, the rest sit and wait.

Purple Floyd
02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
1-Dennard
2-Mettenberger
the rest of the draft- just draft good talent, If there is a good player available we are probably needing depth at that position.

drewlovs
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Give it a month, and you might see this whole draft turn on its head due to Seattle's win. Defensive players might start getting bumped up, and the QB our coaches want might be there for the taking.

At this point, you might even see teams like Jacksonville and Cleveland going with the QB they have and stacking defense; bottom rung teams always seem to make decisions that keep them there. I'm betting (HOPING!!) that our team doesn't fall into that category.

2beersTommy
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
I just did top 3 rounds, as I'm not very familiar with players past there, but wound up with 3 Bama players (2 defense, who have a history of playing together, which would be great)

R1
ILB C.J. MOSLEY ALABAMA (Mack was off the board, fills a hole and provides an immediate starter)
R2
S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX ALABAMA (Another immediate starter to play along Smith)
R3
QB A.J. MCCARRON ALABAMA (Solution at QB)
R3
DT DAQUAN JONES PENN STATE (Starter at NT alongside Floyd)

McCarron in the 3rd? He was still on the board in the 5th in my draft

8 OLB ANTHONY BARR UCLA

40 DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN MINNESOTA

72 DE CHRIS SMITH ARKANSAS

96 CB JAYLEN WATKINS FLORIDA

104 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINOIS

136 RB JEREMY HILL LSU

168 CB BENNETT JACKSON NOTRE DAME

200 WR JALEN SAUNDERS OKLAHOMA

I could do this shit all day long haha

i_bleed_purple
02-05-2014, 08:03 AM
McCarron in the 3rd? He was still on the board in the 5th in my draft

In reality I can't see that happening though. Too many QB needy teams, somebody will take him.

tarkenton10
02-06-2014, 12:02 PM
This is the draft that I made, I couldn't find a place to trade so I am not sure I would have drafted all of these players but with the players available, I like this draft.

8 QB BLAKE BORTLES CENTRAL FLORIDA

72 CB KYLE FULLER VIRGINIA TECH

96 DT EGO FERGUSON LSU

104 RB LACHE SEASTRUNK BAYLOR

136 QB AARON MURRAY GEORGIA

168 WR MIKE DAVIS TEXAS

200 OLB DEVON KENNARD USC

drewlovs
02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
I tried a few, but I can't get over the fact that the first trade of the draft will screw all of this up. One team ahead of us that we expect to take a WR trades the spot away to a QB/DEF needy team (or multiple trades), and all of the first and maybe second rounds are screwed up.

tarkenton10
02-07-2014, 08:12 AM
1-Dennard
2-Mettenberger
the rest of the draft- just draft good talent, If there is a good player available we are probably needing depth at that position.

If we can't get Manziel or Bortles, decent picks but if you are going with a DB in the first why not Gilbert out of OK st.? Better speed and athleticism.

gamecocksbaseball31
02-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Here is my latest after waiting until the combine...

Blake Bortles QB UCF
Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix S Ala
Bradley Roby CB OSU
Dakota Dozier G Fur
Ed Stinson DE Ala
James White RB Wis
Dede Lattimore ILB USF
Connor Shaw QB SC

snowinapril
02-23-2014, 12:05 AM
I like the mock drafts, even for fantasy ones, because it gives you the reality that players will drop.

Fun site to play around with.

snowinapril
02-23-2014, 12:46 AM
After one of my drafts, I looked at the NFCN teams and Sammy Watkins ended up on the Lions.

That is scary! I almost want to take the guy with our 8th pick.

jargomcfargo
02-23-2014, 10:01 AM
After one of my drafts, I looked at the NFCN teams and Sammy Watkins ended up on the Lions.

That is scary! I almost want to take the guy with our 8th pick.
There are always a handful of players that you have to take if they are there when you pick, regardless of need. Watkins is probably one of those guys.
Peterson was. The Vikings had Chester Taylor but would have been foolish to pass on AD.
Spielman may want to trade down instead, but I wouldn't unless some team gives up an outrageous bounty of picks.

snowinapril
02-23-2014, 02:09 PM
If we are flexible, we can definitely get an immediate contributor at the 8th spot.

Mosely, Mack, Watkins, Manziel (dropped in many mocks) if we needed a tackle, we could grab Robinson or Matthews might drop also. At the 8th spot, I wish we needed a tackle because there will be a good one. There were 2 other tackles that moved up with their combine performance. But we don't need need a tackle. Kalil could be moved to the opposite side. I would be difficult for us to admit that Kalil isn't as good a lineman as the spot we drafted him in.

Dennard would be another possibility, bit of a reach.

vikingsfan620
02-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Im going to give you my mock with the scenerio of them trading back to 12 or 13 while acquiring their 2nd and 5th...
1st - CB Justin Gilbert
2nd - OLB Ryan Shazier
2nd - G Xavier Su'a-Filo
3rd - S Craig Loston
3rd - MLB Chris Borland
4th - QB Zach Mettenberger
5th - DT Daniel McCullers
5th - CB Bashaud Breeland
6th - RB Dri Archer
7th - DE Deandre Coleman

Of course there will be players rising and falling but I would love if this was the way it played out. Remember the key positions addressed in FA. CB VERNER, DE JOHNSON, DT JOSEPH AND POSSIBLYA GUY LIKE EDELMAN OR SMALL NAME WR TO HELP IN THE PASSING GAME

snowinapril
02-25-2014, 11:26 PM
YOUR TEAM
MINNESOTA VIKINGS
YOUR PICKS

R1 OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO

R2 CB JASON VERRETT
TCU

R3 CB BRADLEY ROBY
OHIO STATE

R3 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS

R4 QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA

I had the chance to take Sammy Watkins but chose to go with needs.

snowinapril
02-28-2014, 12:54 AM
After the combine, I think that Verrett goes off the board before our 2nd round pick. Garoppolo is climbing the board also. Couldn't get Roby either, he moved up the board.

OLB KHALIL MACK (the 2nd best BEAST in the draft behind that Clown)
BUFFALO

CB JASON VERRETT (4.37 speed with the quickest feet and fluid movement at CB)
TCU

QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO (? with potential)
EASTERN ILLINOIS

G CHRIS WATT (Top 5 G on Mayock's board)
NOTRE DAME

DT DANIEL MCCULLERS (Mardy's Warpig)
TENNESSEE

ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE

mountainviking
03-03-2014, 10:07 AM
QB JOHNNY MANZIEL TEXAS A&M
Extremely elusive QB who may have a chip on his shoulder for having 3 QBs go before him...not my first choice, but his natural gift of avoiding pressure makes him a better prospect than any other QBs left in this draft, and our need kind of forces the pick IF he's there. And, there are those Fran comparisons! ;)
CB KYLE FULLER VIRGINIA TECH
Good value pick with decent speed and leap, above average anticipation and cover abilities and more than willing in run support. Has experience all over the field, playing CB inside and out, S, LB and special teams (blocks kicks too).
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT TEXAS
Value pick again, adding some outside speed to spell E.Griffen on passing downs (or move EG inside.)
DT EGO FERGUSON LSU
Big, space eating DT who can move the line vs. run and pass.
CB KEITH MCGILL UTAH
Another value pick on a big, 6'3" CB who can play outside when we slide Fuller to Nickel.
RB JEREMY HILL LSU
Yet another value pick on a big, bruising RB to spell Peterson.

The pundits are all calling this one of the deepest drafts in at least a decade, and we are sitting pretty picking at 8 in every round plus that extra 3rd from the champs. Something like this combined with a couple of good free agent signings, and our team can compete for this division sooner than later.

I'm saying we sign an upgrade FA for LG, and bring in a vet QB who can take a bit of the pressure off of starting a rookie right away. And, that we find a way to resign Griffen to start in Allen's place.

drewlovs
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm hoping to see a trade device added to this by next season. It would have to be based on a points formula, with "needs" having a value no one will agree on; but it would add a dynamic that is lacking for me.

I keep seeing teams draft players they would not take normally because they don't have any other options; either the team drafts the BPA or the BP who fits their greatest need. It doesn't always lead to a draft pick that makes sense for the team.

midgensa
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I have been playing around with this quite a bit ... and have some trully great drafts ... but here is my latest that I like ...

Round 1: Sammy Watkins, WR
Round 2: Jason Verrett, CB
Round 3: Christian Jones, ILB
Round 3: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB
Round 4: Daquan Jones, DT
Round 5: A.J. McCarron, QB
Round 6: Prince Shembo, OLB
Round 7: Jeoffrey Pagan, DE

I like this one because it gives us a dynamic playmaker in Watkins and provides a few pontential starters on defense in Verett, Jones, Jones and even Shembo. At worst it gives us depth on defense. I think Shembo is going to be a very good player for some team late in the draft. I also think Pagan is going to be a solid NFL player (at least as a No. 3 DE) and to get him in the 7th is a good get.

I also like bringing in TWO young QBs to compete with Ponder/Cassel for next year's gig. If we bring back Cassel and we cannot unload Ponder, obviously this plan shifts to drafting on one of these QBs and using the other pick elsewhere.

mountainviking
03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I have been playing around with this quite a bit ... and have some trully great drafts ... but here is my latest that I like ...

Round 3: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB
Round 4: Daquan Jones, DT
Round 5: A.J. McCarron, QB
Round 6: Prince Shembo, OLB
Round 7: Jeoffrey Pagan, DE

I like this one because it gives us a dynamic playmaker in Watkins and provides a few pontential starters on defense in Verett, Jones, Jones and even Shembo. At worst it gives us depth on defense. I think Shembo is going to be a very good player for some team late in the draft. I also think Pagan is going to be a solid NFL player (at least as a No. 3 DE) and to get him in the 7th is a good get.

I also like bringing in TWO young QBs to compete with Ponder/Cassel for next year's gig. If we bring back Cassel and we cannot unload Ponder, obviously this plan shifts to drafting on one of these QBs and using the other pick elsewhere.

I love this plan as well. Double down and figure the chances of one being pretty good go up. I kind of prefer Mettenberger to Garappolo, but I think we'd have to go earlier to get him, and thus would give up a bit of defensive talent in order to do so. McCarron in the 5th could be a steal. While the top end talent at QB is lacking a true sure thing, there are lots of project-with-potential types that should be available later. Combine that availability with our defensive deficiencies, and I'm all for waiting on QB if they're sure there is a difference making defender available instead. The other thing, is that most seem to think next year's QB class is much better...?

While I don't see WR as a need, I do believe it's hard to pass on a special talent, and that is what Watkins seems to be. Got to admit, that would be one hell of a set of weapons with Peterson drawing attention to the line and the combo platter of Watkins, Jennings, Patterson & Rudolf catching passes! Along those same lines, you might consider Evens too...his size, reach, and leaps lead to an enormous catch radius that could work wonders for a slightly off target QB! Of course, I think Watkins provides much of the same, but makes up for that size with a bit better speed and change of direction skill.

I think Verret might very well be the next Winfield, who I noticed in your sig ;) He's got incredible change of direction skills, and great speed and leap. Most importantly, despite his height, he has shown the knack for getting a hand on the ball with 36 batted passes in the past 2 years. Getting him in the 2nd would be sweet!

SKOL VIKES!!!

C Mac D
03-04-2014, 12:05 PM
I'd draft myself in the 7th round and tell the coach to start me or he's fired.

drewlovs
03-04-2014, 01:56 PM
It resets variables and needs every Tuesday; with Mayock's updated ranks, anyone getting different drafts?

First one I did I had a choice between Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack...

drewlovs
03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Here is that BPA for the 1st 4 rounds, except for Mettenburger (he was the 3rd player down on the BPA for that round's pick):

R1
WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON
R2
DT TIMMY JERNIGAN
FLORIDA STATE
R3
DE CHRIS SMITH
ARKANSAS
R3
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
R4
DE MARCUS SMITH

midgensa
03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Redid it today with the updates. Had Watkins, Mack and Manziel available at No. 8 ...

Round 1: Johnny Manziel, QB
Round 2: Jason Verret, CB
Round 3: Stephon Truitt, DE (steal right here)
Round 3: Jaylen Watkins, CB
Round 4: Morgan Breslin, OLB
Round 5: Lamin Barrow, ILB
Round 6: Adrian Hubbard, OLB
Round 7: Kadeem Edwards, G

I actually love this draft. I think it DRASTICALLY improves our secondary, gives us a QB and I like the triple LB picks. Edwards also should be able to play in a rotation from day one ... and getting that in the seventh round is solid.

midgensa
03-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Second draft with getting Watkins instead of Manziel

Round 3: Chris Borland, ILB
Round 3: Zach Mettenberger, QB
Round 4: Marcus Smith, DE (nice steal here as he slipped)
Round 5: Justin Ellis, DT
Round 6: James Wilder Jr., RB
Round 7: Ron Powell, OLB

Through these drafts, there is ALWAYS DE talent later on. I think this draft has a lot of good DE talent throughout it. If you think Mettenberger can come in and play in the NFL ... then this is a really good round of picks right here. As the first five guys are all starter material.

I like that this addresses a couple of offense needs, but stays true to a defense mentality ... not sure which of these two drafts I like better.

snowinapril
03-05-2014, 12:27 AM
Once again.........

Can you pass on Johnny Football if he falls to 8.

8 QB JOHNNY MANZIEL - TEXAS A&M
40 G DAVID YANKEY - STANFORD
72 ILB CHRIS BORLAND - WISCONSIN
96 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO - EASTERN ILLINOIS
104 CB TERRANCE MITCHELL - OREGON

or

40 CB JASON VERRETT - TCU
72 ILB SHAYNE SKOV - STANFORD
96 G CHRIS WATT - NOTRE DAME
104 RB CARLOS HYDE - OHIO STATE
136 CB VICTOR HAMPTON - SOUTH CAROLINA

midgensa
03-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Once again.........

Can you pass on Johnny Football if he falls to 8.

40 G DAVID YANKEY - STANFORD
72 ILB CHRIS BORLAND - WISCONSIN
96 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO - EASTERN ILLINOIS
104 CB TERRANCE MITCHELL - OREGON

or

40 CB JASON VERRETT - TCU
72 ILB SHAYNE SKOV - STANFORD
96 G CHRIS WATT - NOTRE DAME
104 RB CARLOS HYDE - OHIO STATE
136 CB VICTOR HAMPTON - SOUTH CAROLINA

If Verrett is available in the 2nd round ... then he HAS to be taken. I personally do not like the Hyde pick because there are enough 6th and 7th round backs to fill a backup spot.
If Manziel falls to 8 our hand is forced and we virtually have to take him. I think that Manziel at 8, Verrett at 40 and Borland at 72 would be FANTASTIC ... then at 96 we can take best defensive player available (could be a really good DE). I am not a huge fan of taking a guard unless he has value. I don't think reaching for a guard makes sense. Though if Yankey is there in the second round he is certainly tempting. Especially if Zimmer is happy with Cook and Rhodes next year.

drewlovs
03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
If Verrett is available in the 2nd round ... then he HAS to be taken. I personally do not like the Hyde pick because there are enough 6th and 7th round backs to fill a backup spot.
If Manziel falls to 8 our hand is forced and we virtually have to take him. I think that Manziel at 8, Verrett at 40 and Borland at 72 would be FANTASTIC ... then at 96 we can take best defensive player available (could be a really good DE). I am not a huge fan of taking a guard unless he has value. I don't think reaching for a guard makes sense. Though if Yankey is there in the second round he is certainly tempting. Especially if Zimmer is happy with Cook and Rhodes next year.

Yankley will NOT be there at 40; if he is, he is a STEAL. There are too many who need guards, and he is shooting up the depth chart. Also, I noticed a lot of DEs were dropping in this draft simulator; I'm not sure why. If it is right, there will be a wealth of DEs to choose from in the later rounds.

Zimmer has a good reputation at getting talent for the defense in the later rounds. Because of this, I truly expect offense to be taken early, and the 3rd round on we will be focused on the D.

midgensa
03-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Yankley will NOT be there at 40; if he is, he is a STEAL. There are too many who need guards, and he is shooting up the depth chart. Also, I noticed a lot of DEs were dropping in this draft simulator; I'm not sure why. If it is right, there will be a wealth of DEs to choose from in the later rounds.

Zimmer has a good reputation at getting talent for the defense in the later rounds. Because of this, I truly expect offense to be taken early, and the 3rd round on we will be focused on the D.

I would not hate this for DE and CB because they seem to be so deep in this draft ... but he won't likely get a ton of LB production past the third round and we definitely are hurting there. Mosely, Mack, Barr, Borland, Jones, Shazier, Van Noy and Skov are around and I would love to see us find a way to nab two of them ... but we certainly need to try to get one.

midgensa
03-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Just had some gems fall to me in the right positions ... and of course Clinton-Dix in the
Second Round is highly unlikely ... but this draft would be fantastic

Round 1: Johnny Manziel, QB
Round 2: Ha'sean Clinton-Dix, S (Could have went OLB with Shazier, but Clinton-Dix makes our safeties a great tandem for years to come)
Round 3: Brandon Thomas, G
Round 4: Marcus Smith, DE (too much value to pass on here, even for a CB)
Round 5: Pierre Desir, CB
Round 6: De'Anthony Thomas, RB (worth a shot here as someone who can cause matchup problems out of the backfield)
Round 7: Ron Powell, OLB

In the end ... we will have to address CB and LB in FA for sure (Verner still looking fantastic to me) but this draft provides a TON of talent with the top five picks all being players who might be good enough to start in the league already. Desir could also be a steal as he is from a small school and that hurts his stock ... of course he could be a bust.

I really liked this draft though.

drewlovs
03-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Round 6: De'Anthony Thomas, RB (worth a shot here as someone who can cause matchup problems out of the backfield)

I really liked this draft though.

Thomas was a joy to watch in the "O" system, I think ha might be a good fit with the Vikings. I'm not sure if he could be "the guy" like AD, but in tandem with AD and a decent QB (Vick is the name being bantered about ATM), he really could shine and be a perfect fill in for our awesome RB.

I saw some games where he needed to be the GUY because teams like Stanford shut down the aerial assault, and Thomas was just average.

mountainviking
03-07-2014, 04:24 PM
8 ILB C.J. MOSLEY ALABAMA

40 CB JASON VERRETT TCU

72 QB ZACH METTENBERGER LSU

96 DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT TEXAS

104 QB A.J. MCCARRON ALABAMA

A LB who can pass protect and potentially a young Winfield clone. OF the 2 QBs, I feel there's a good chance that one will work out to be pretty good. Jeffcoat provides some rotational pass rush.

IF we can keep Everson Griffen and sign some young FA upgrades at LG, DT and CB, this team could be set up to be competitive for years.

tarkenton10
03-10-2014, 01:50 PM
My newest draft, I would take that draft.

8 OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO

40 G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD

72 QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

96 DT DAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE

104 QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA

136 CB ROSS COCKRELL
DUKE

168 OLB PRINCE SHEMBO
NOTRE DAME

200 CB WALT AIKENS
LIBERTY

tarkenton10
03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
I did one more just for the heck of it.

8 OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO

40 S CALVIN PRYOR
LOUISVILLE

72 QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

96 G CYRIL RICHARDSON
BAYLOR

104 QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA

136 DT DANIEL MCCULLERS
TENNESSEE

168 RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS
OREGON

200 CB WALT AIKENS
LIBERTY

midgensa
03-10-2014, 07:34 PM
They are now allowing trades!!

Round 1
QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

Round 2
G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD

WR BRANDIN COOKS
OREGON STATE

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

Round 3
CB E.J. GAINES
MISSOURI

DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS

DT EGO FERGUSON
LSU

TE TROY NIKLAS
NOTRE DAME

Round 4
CB KEITH MCGILL
UTAH

Round 5
OLB ADRIAN HUBBARD
ALABAMA

Round 6
S HAKEEM SMITH
LOUISVILLE

Round 7
RB KAPRI BIBBS
COLORADO STATE

Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=dxuuxq)

midgensa
03-11-2014, 10:22 AM
This thing is too fun now that it allows trades ... Introducing the 7 pick third round!

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN

DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY
FLORIDA

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

CB E.J. GAINES
MISSOURI

OT ANTONIO RICHARDSON
TENNESSEE

DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS

WR JARED ABBREDERIS
WISCONSIN

QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS

RB CARLOS HYDE
OHIO STATE

CB TERRANCE MITCHELL
OREGON

WR MARTAVIS BRYANT
CLEMSON

G TRAI TURNER
LSU

DE WILL CLARKE
WVU

S KENNY LADLER
VANDERBILT

drewlovs
03-11-2014, 10:45 AM
This thing is too fun now that it allows trades ... Introducing the 7 pick third round!

List out what you traded away versus what you got, wouldja? I'd like to see what the site thinks is a "fair" trade for the #8...

midgensa
03-11-2014, 11:10 AM
List out what you traded away versus what you got, wouldja? I'd like to see what the site thinks is a "fair" trade for the #8...

I can't list them all because I made at least five. If I saw that a player I wanted would be around three to five picks later, I traded back. Ended up with No seconds after having two at one point.

The Ravens started it by giving me their 1, 2 and 3 for 8 ... which I think is about right.

jargomcfargo
03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
I can't list them all because I made at least five. If I saw that a player I wanted would be around three to five picks later, I traded back. Ended up with No seconds after having two at one point.

The Ravens started it by giving me their 1, 2 and 3 for 8 ... which I think is about right.
I vote for you as the next Vikings GM !

midgensa
03-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Can't stop drafting ... but this one is a dandy!

Gave up our first next year to get back into the first this year twice ... also gave up a future fourth rounder to go back up into the second ... but pretty happy.

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

OLB ANTHONY BARR
UCLA

ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN

CB MARCUS ROBERSON
FLORIDA

S HAKEEM SMITH
LOUISVILLE

RB RAJION NEAL
TENNESSEE

On the Clock Premium: Fanspeak's NFL Mock Draft Simulator (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=lnfehx)

VikingsFan1234
03-15-2014, 11:42 PM
This is my first try at all 7 rounds

OLB ANTHONY BARR
UCLA
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
G CHRIS WATT
NOTRE DAME
ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD
S AHMAD DIXON
BAYLOR
CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA
RB JAMES WHITE
WISCONSIN
WR CODY LATIMER
INDIANA

My favorite pick is the Aaron Colvin pick since I am a Sooners fan and I was surprised that he was still avaiable in the 5th round so he was a steal!

Honestly, I am not sure how I do on the draft but what are your opinions?

midgensa
03-16-2014, 09:45 AM
This is my first try at all 7 rounds

OLB ANTHONY BARR
UCLA
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
G CHRIS WATT
NOTRE DAME
ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD
S AHMAD DIXON
BAYLOR
CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA
RB JAMES WHITE
WISCONSIN
WR CODY LATIMER
INDIANA

My favorite pick is the Aaron Colvin pick since I am a Sooners fan and I was surprised that he was still avaiable in the 5th round so he was a steal!

Honestly, I am not sure how I do on the draft but what are your opinions?

Not bad ... I am addicted to this site ... so I am constantly making drafts. I hate to let you know ... you can get Colvin in 6th ... and definitely can get Mettenberger in the first pick of the third ... sometimes he is still there at 96 also.

I am not a huge fan of Anthony Barr in a 4-3 ... but sometimes he is the only choice at 8.

mountainviking
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON

DT RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN
MINNESOTA

CB KEITH MCGILL
UTAH

QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU

RB CHARLES SIMS
WEST VIRGINIA

DE AARON LYNCH
SOUTH FLORIDA

Interesting turn of events...I went BPA early, and loved the additions of Watkins and Hageman where they landed, but wasn't able to find much value at LB or OG later in the draft. I do like Cole's potential and Brinkley is at least a good 2 down run plugger, and we did resign Charlie, so it wouldn't be terrible if the draft fell this way. Specially since the upside of these picks most likely makes us better around those two positions of weakness.

MaxVike
03-16-2014, 11:37 AM
OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
DE SCOTT CRICHTON
OREGON STATE
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
BAYLOR
DT ANTHONY JOHNSON
LSU

The first of many. I like the first 3.

MaxVike
03-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Good grief, my new shiny object to pass time... Defense, a guy named Max :D, and two human highlight reels on offense. Have a hard time reconciling that Johnnie Football drops to 40. Jimmy G more likely.

OLB KHALIIL MACK
BUFFALO
QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M
CB STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE
NEBRASKA
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
DE JEOFFREY PAGAN
ALABAMA
RB DE ANTHONY THOMAS
OREGON
ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE
TE JAKE MURPHY
UTAH

mountainviking
03-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Wow, so much the opposite of my last one! This might be my favorite so far!? Hard to beat landing major upgrades at two of our biggest needs, LB & LG, a big Corner who will push for playing time immediately and improve STs, and the luxury of a versatile threat of a backup RB while still adding some developmental potential at QB...twice!! ;)

8 OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
40 G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD
72 CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE
NEBRASKA
96 QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
104 RB CHARLES SIMS
WVU
136 QB BRETT SMITH
WYOMING

I think Mack has a real good chance of being a long term, every down, immediate difference making LBer and a candidate for Defensive ROY. Yankey gives us long term potential and stability along our OL...moving Charlie to multi-Backup, where he's a better fit due to his experience at OT and OG. With all of the big body WRs in our division, SJP might take the Captain's spot starting opposite Rhodes sooner than later. Add Joseph, our BIG upgrade at NT, to that and suddenly all of our weaknesses look like strengths!?!

Except, of course, QB, where Garoppolo and Smith are far from the shiniest turds in the pasture...But, none of the QBs coming out this year look near to the sure-fire, long term potential of Luck. All these guys have strengths but they all have weaknesses they need to work on too. Our team has shown the ability to win with below average QB play, because we have Peterson at RB and usually, pretty solid play out of our D and STs...

Would it really be so bad to start Cassel for a year and a half or so and see which of these two guys steps up?!??!???

Also, it sounds like nest year's QB crop is much better, we can always revisit the well then.

VikesfaninWis
03-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Manziel at 40 in the 2nd rd? Will never happen.

MaxVike
03-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Manziel at 40 in the 2nd rd? Will never happen.

For sure…that was when I chose the Ultimate Scouting Big Board for the simulator. It consistently comes out with funky drafts. I choose either Fanspeak or Walter Football for my mocks now.

midgensa
03-17-2014, 03:57 PM
And of course ... the most fun I have had. Drafting a player for all 22 positions (23 including a nickelback)

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

OLB RYAN SHAZIER
OHIO STATE

TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
WASHINGTON

RB KA’DEEM CAREY
ARIZONA

DE TREVOR REILLY
UTAH

DT EGO FERGUSON
LSU

DE DEMARCUS LAWRENCE
BOISE STATE

CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA

C MARCUS MARTIN
USC

DT JUSTIN ELLIS
LOUISIANA TECH

ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD
UCONN

CB RASHAAD REYNOLDS
OREGON STATE

OT JAMES HURST
UNC

S TRE BOSTON
NORTH CAROLINA

WR BRUCE ELLINGTON
SOUTH CAROLINA

CB ANTONE EXUM
VIRIGNIA TECH

OLB ADRIAN HUBBARD
ALABAMA

WR MICHAEL CAMPANARO
WAKE FOREST

S HAKEEM SMITH
LOUISVILLE

WR T.J. JONES
NOTRE DAME

OT CORNELIUS LUCAS
KANSAS STATE

G MICHAEL SCHOFIELD
MICHIGAN

G KADEEM EDWARDS
TENNESSEE STATE

On the Clock Premium: Fanspeak's NFL Mock Draft Simulator (http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/premium/draft.php?d=xkdgvi)

snowinapril
03-17-2014, 09:22 PM
First time I got a shot at Clowney. I had to chuckle.

WALTER 4 Rounds
YOUR PICKS
R1
DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
SOUTH CAROLINA
R2
CB BRADLEY ROBY
OHIO STATE
R3
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
R3
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
R4
RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
BAYLOR

Optimum 5 Rounds

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON
S JIMMIE WARD
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD
RB TRE MASON
AUBURN
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA
G DAKOTA DOZIER
FURMAN

Fanspeak 4 Rounds

R1
OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
R2
S JIMMIE WARD
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
R3
ILB SHAYNE SKOV
STANFORD
R3
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
R4
CB MARCUS ROBERSON
FLORIDA

mountainviking
03-30-2014, 04:14 PM
8 WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON
40 OLB KYLE VAN NOY
BYU
72 CB STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE
NEBRASKA
96 QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
108 S AHMAD DIXON
BAYLOR

Wow. That would help fix the defense! And make for one hell of a set of weapons for Turner to play with!?! ;)

drewlovs
03-31-2014, 11:09 AM
This draft could go in directions no one expected right out the chute... what if all the top teams go defense? WRs? Or maybe like last year, and go OTs?

The top players that COULD go 1-8 are:
DEF:
Clowney
Mack
Barr

OTs:
Matthews
Robinson
Lewan

WRs:
Watkins
Evans

QBs:
Bridgewater
Manziel
Bortles
Carr

That is 12 players that could go in front of us, and no one would be "extremely" surprised, except maybe Carr (I keep seeing people say he might surprise people, so I included him).

The one thing I DO know is this draft will be a roller coaster of a ride.

mountainviking
03-31-2014, 11:38 AM
This draft could go in directions no one expected right out the chute... what if all the top teams go defense? WRs? Or maybe like last year, and go OTs?

The top players that COULD go 1-8 are:
DEF:
Clowney
Mack
Barr

OTs:
Matthews
Robinson
Lewan

WRs:
Watkins
Evans

QBs:
Bridgewater
Manziel
Bortles
Carr

That is 12 players that could go in front of us, and no one would be "extremely" surprised, except maybe Carr (I keep seeing people say he might surprise people, so I included him).

The one thing I DO know is this draft will be a roller coaster of a ride.

You could probably add the top two Cornerbacks to that list, and maybe one of the top safeties, and we might be looking at most of the guys that go in the first half of the draft. And then, I also find it odd that most mocks don't have any DTs going early either...the need is there, and once again, the big boys who can move fast are rare physical specimens, and that fact usually pushes them up the real, team boards.

Of that list, I am really starting to believe that it is the QBs who will not go in the top ten...every one of them has question marks, and despite the pundits wanting a bunch of us to reach for QB last year, only 1 went in the first, and in the middle of the first, EJ Manuel. There are also higher regarded players available that fit other needs...teams picking in the top ten are very likely to need a QB, but they are also very likely to have way more than one need.

snowinapril
03-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Never had Clowney fall to 8 before.

R1
DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
SOUTH CAROLINA

R2
S JIMMIE WARD
NORTHERN ILLINOIS

R3
ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

R3
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA

R4
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON

drewlovs
04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Never had Clowney fall to 8 before.

R1
DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
SOUTH CAROLINA

R2
S JIMMIE WARD
NORTHERN ILLINOIS

R3
ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

R3
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA

R4
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON

I read somewhere that if Clowney is there at 8, all bets are off for anyone else because Zimmer is all in on Clowney. Our coach is a true believer on that guy, so even if Watkins, Manziel and Bortles are still on the board, expect Zimmer/Spielman to draft him over those guys.

What I would love to see is who our coaches like in a perfect draft (I KNOW, I will not get to see it!!). Are we committed to getting defense? Trading down for more picks? Taking Bortles or Manziel if they are there? I personally have heard ALL these tactics as if it was a no brainer, THIS is what will happen!

In the end, who knows...

Ted Dibiase
04-01-2014, 08:22 PM
I read somewhere that if Clowney is there at 8, all bets are off for anyone else because Zimmer is all in on Clowney. Our coach is a true believer on that guy, so even if Watkins, Manziel and Bortles are still on the board, expect Zimmer/Spielman to draft him over those guys.

What I would love to see is who our coaches like in a perfect draft (I KNOW, I will not get to see it!!). Are we committed to getting defense? Trading down for more picks? Taking Bortles or Manziel if they are there? I personally have heard ALL these tactics as if it was a no brainer, THIS is what will happen!

In the end, who knows...

Slipping to #8 just seems really far out there. I'll be floored if he somehow gets past the Jags at #3. Let's go with this though....Do you think we'd trade up if he somehow slipped to, say, #5? Then if that were to happen, do we switch to 3-4? Seems to me the personnel would warrant the switch.

gamecocksbaseball31
04-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Slipping to #8 just seems really far out there. I'll be floored if he somehow gets past the Jags at #3. Let's go with this though....Do you think we'd trade up if he somehow slipped to, say, #5? Then if that were to happen, do we switch to 3-4? Seems to me the personnel would warrant the switch.
After his pro day, Clowney is hands down #1 overall. He's going to Houston, no questions about it. The Texans basically ran his pro day with Romeo Crennell talking to him between every set.

Plus, Bill O'Brien was the only coach/GM/owner in the room with the hundreds of reporters during his press conference.

gamecocksbaseball31
04-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Just ran this mock - To give a heads up of what went before #8, All 4 QB's including Carr went off the board, as well as Mack, Clowney, and Barr.

1. Sammy Watkins WR
2. CJ Mosley OLB (this is entirely possible, he is being talked about as having a massive slide)
3. Stanley Jean-Babtiste CB
3. AJ McCarron QB
4. Kelcy Quarles DT
5. D'Anthony Thomas RB
6. Ryan Groy G
7. Connor Shaw QB

drewlovs
04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
After his pro day, Clowney is hands down #1 overall. He's going to Houston, no questions about it. The Texans basically ran his pro day with Romeo Crennell talking to him between every set.

Plus, Bill O'Brien was the only coach/GM/owner in the room with the hundreds of reporters during his press conference.

They have JJ Watt, so if another team does a Redskins and offers up their future for him, the Texans WILL bite.

The Vikings and the Raiders both have all their draft picks to trade, so there are 2 dumb teams that might do something like that; I hope Zimmer and Spielman are smarter than those decision-makers in our past.

Clowney is a once in a generation player, BUT he is still just one defensive component. But I agree, I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't go #1.

drewlovs
04-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Just ran this mock - To give a heads up of what went before #8, All 4 QB's including Carr went off the board, as well as Mack, Clowney, and Barr.

1. Sammy Watkins WR
2. CJ Mosley OLB (this is entirely possible, he is being talked about as having a massive slide)
3. AJ McCarron QB
4. Kelcy Quarles DT
5. D'Anthony Thomas RB
6. Ryan Groy G
7. Connor Shaw QB

I think Quarles was with Clowney on their pro day, and Clowney made him look small. There is no way in hell Quarles goes before him.

tastywaves
04-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Pretty sure those are rounds for Vikings picks in his mock and not overall picks.

drewlovs
04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Pretty sure those are rounds for Vikings picks in his mock and not overall picks.

DOH!!

You are right, I apologize. AJ McCarron should have tipped me off, I didn't even SEE his name when I first read the post. I just got excited that I knew who Quarles was, defensive players are not my forte.

I just ran the simulator, and these were the top 8 picks:
1 QB BLAKE BORTLES
HOUSTON TEXANS
2 OT JAKE MATTHEWS
ST. LOUIS RAMS
3 OLB ANTHONY BARR
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
4 WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEVELAND BROWNS
5 OLB KHALIL MACK
OAKLAND RAIDERS
6 DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
ATLANTA FALCONS
7 OLB DEE FORD
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Now, I think Clowney will go #1, but I could see TB taking Bortles and the Falcons taking another OT, which makes this draft relevant. If the Vikings are in this situation, I either expect then to trade back or take Manziel.

Anyone disagree?

mountainviking
04-03-2014, 11:34 AM

1. Sammy Watkins WR
3. AJ McCarron QB
4. Kelcy Quarles DT
5. D'Anthony Thomas RB
6. Ryan Groy G
7. Connor Shaw QB

Wow. That would be SICK! Probably too good to be true, but adding a game breaking playmaker like Watkins, a "QB of the defense" at MLB, a large CB to help cover the plethora of huge WRs in our division, and then still landing a QB with a history of winning who leaves our focus firmly on Peterson's shoulders sounds perfect to me!!!

gamecocksbaseball31
04-03-2014, 04:25 PM
They have JJ Watt, so if another team does a Redskins and offers up their future for him, the Texans WILL bite.

The Vikings and the Raiders both have all their draft picks to trade, so there are 2 dumb teams that might do something like that; I hope Zimmer and Spielman are smarter than those decision-makers in our past.

Clowney is a once in a generation player, BUT he is still just one defensive component. But I agree, I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't go #1.

You're completely right that they have JJ Watt, which is exactly why they will take Clowney. Those two together would be disastrous for teams.

In a league where 60% of the plays are passing plays, having two iconic defensive ends is stellar.

Not to mention, the talk is he will also be working at OLB and rushing from a stand-up position at some points.

mountainviking
04-05-2014, 12:01 PM
8 QB BLAKE BORTLES
UCF
40 WR MIKE EVANS
TEXAS A&M
72 ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
96 G CYRIL RICHARDSON
BAYLOR
108 TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ
IOWA

What The Fu....!?? Optimum scouting's list must be a lot different than most! This is crazy!

I had not seen Bortles available at 8 for a long, long time. But Evans in the 2nd just isn't going to happen...I doubt the big man from Baylor lasts til the end of the third either. But WOW would this be one hell of a draft!?! Bortles fits Turner's offense, Evans catches everything in his area code, Borland would be a great run stuffer at ILB at the very least, the behemoth from Baylor would certainly improve our run blocking and so would the TE from Iowa who also has good hands as a large redzone target. Something like this might put us on the way to being a top five or ten offense in a hurry!

I know, I want more defense too, but as unlikely as these specific picks are to be there, coaches do have a tendency to draft toward their weakness and count on themselves to coach up their side of the ball...just sayin...

drewlovs
04-07-2014, 12:00 PM
You're completely right that they have JJ Watt, which is exactly why they will take Clowney. Those two together would be disastrous for teams.

In a league where 60% of the plays are passing plays, having two iconic defensive ends is stellar.

Not to mention, the talk is he will also be working at OLB and rushing from a stand-up position at some points.

I stand by what I said; if a team offers the Texans their 1st and 2nd, and next year's 1st they WILL trade the first pick- but only because JJ Watts is already signed. I cannot think of another player in this draft that would tempt a team to trade away the farm besides Clowney though.

gamecocksbaseball31
04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
I stand by what I said; if a team offers the Texans their 1st and 2nd, and next year's 1st they WILL trade the first pick- but only because JJ Watts is already signed. I cannot think of another player in this draft that would tempt a team to trade away the farm besides Clowney though.

You are entitled to your opinion... It would have to be a team in the top 10 and the only one that would be close to doing that is Atlanta. I don't think it happens and I think Houston takes Clowney.

drewlovs
04-08-2014, 11:39 AM
You are entitled to your opinion... It would have to be a team in the top 10 and the only one that would be close to doing that is Atlanta. I don't think it happens and I think Houston takes Clowney.

Perhaps our disconnect is you do not understand what I am saying. Let me bold out the part I think you are missing:

ANY team could make this offer, not the top 10; and if someone is going to do that, the Texans would be fools not to accept it. My only caveat was whether there was a team or teams that are willing to make that stupid of a trade. The Vikings, Redskins and Raiders have in the past, so who knows?

tastywaves
04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
If the trading team is picking 32nd, it might not be much of a deal for the Texans to trade the picks as you indicate.

gamecocksbaseball31
04-08-2014, 06:26 PM
If the trading team is picking 32nd, it might not be much of a deal for the Texans to trade the picks as you indicate.
Exactly. Perhaps you don't understand what you are saying. The Texans aren't going to trade back to 32 and give up #1 overall. For the value to be there it would have to be in the top 10.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, the ONLY team I can see that is in that much of need at DE is Atlanta.

Mr Anderson
04-08-2014, 08:25 PM
8 - WR SAMMY WATKINS, CLEMSON
40 - ILB C.J. MOSLEY, ALABAMA
72 - TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS, WASHINGTON
96 - QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO, EASTERN ILLINOIS
108 - CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY, FLORIDA

If this is what the first 4 rounds look like a month from today, I'd be a happy camper.

purplepat
04-09-2014, 04:55 AM
I made a ton of bad drafts before I finally had one I liked. Wanted a blue chipper at #8 and wanted to wait to take Garoppolo in the early 3rd, but he kept getting picked right before our pick. Finally decided if I wanted to go that route, would have to spend #40 on him. Only drafted four rounds, using the Walter big board:

#8 - OLB Khalil Mack
#40 - QB Jimmy Garoppolo
#72 - CB Keith McGill
#96 - RB Lache Seastrunk
#104 - DE Kareem Martin

In this mock, hated passing on DE Stephon Tuitt who fell to me at #72, but I wanted a tall rangy CB (preferably McGill but could have gone with Jean-Baptiste), but the latter was already off the board and McGill always seemed to get picked before #96 (which is actually his rank on the Walter board).

purplepat
04-09-2014, 05:12 AM
DOH!!

I just ran the simulator, and these were the top 8 picks:
1 QB BLAKE BORTLES
HOUSTON TEXANS
2 OT JAKE MATTHEWS
ST. LOUIS RAMS
3 OLB ANTHONY BARR
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
4 WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEVELAND BROWNS
5 OLB KHALIL MACK
OAKLAND RAIDERS
6 DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
ATLANTA FALCONS
7 OLB DEE FORD
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Now, I think Clowney will go #1, but I could see TB taking Bortles and the Falcons taking another OT, which makes this draft relevant. If the Vikings are in this situation, I either expect then to trade back or take Manziel.

Anyone disagree?

Sure. Why wouldn't the Vikings want Bridgewater instead of the "full of flags" Manziel? And in either case, if they could trade back, why wouldn't they? After #8, no one is going to be looking at QB again before Cleveland at #26.

vikesrgreat2
04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
I vote for you as the next Vikings GM !

Seconded!

drewlovs
04-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Exactly. Perhaps you don't understand what you are saying. The Texans aren't going to trade back to 32 and give up #1 overall. For the value to be there it would have to be in the top 10.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, the ONLY team I can see that is in that much of need at DE is Atlanta.

No, YOU don't understand what I am saying. Let's use the Jets, because I really don't think too much of their coach. Doing a Redskin's style trade when they went after RGIII, the Texans would get the #18 pick, the #50 pick, the Jet's 2015 1st round pick, and the Jet's 2016 1st round pick. At #18, there is still a great chance of getting a great player, plus they get the #33 and #50 picks to get more from this deep draft.

What team would not give up ONE draft pick to insure they had 2 1st round picks for the next 2 years?

Again, it was a dumb move on the Redskin's part, but the fact that they DID do it means someone else might this year too. I do not think it will happen, but saying the Texans would be stupid for doing it is what I'm taking exception to.

drewlovs
04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Sure. Why wouldn't the Vikings want Bridgewater instead of the "full of flags" Manziel? And in either case, if they could trade back, why wouldn't they? After #8, no one is going to be looking at QB again before Cleveland at #26.

So if they do trade back, you are agreeing with me. Sorry for not saying "...take Manziel or Bridgewater.", I was focusing on the fact that this scenario really forces the Vikings to take a QB or trade back, unless you think Gilbert is worth the #8.

purplepat
04-09-2014, 03:39 PM
So if they do trade back, you are agreeing with me. Sorry for not saying "...take Manziel or Bridgewater.", I was focusing on the fact that this scenario really forces the Vikings to take a QB or trade back, unless you think Gilbert is worth the #8.

Actually, no, I'm not agreeing with you. (Nothing personal).

Number one - if presented with the mock you showed, I might very well decide to take WR Mike Evans at #8. Even with Cassel slinging the rock, imagine the dilemma defenses would have if you put Patterson, Jennings, Evans, Rudolph and Peterson out there every play (FWIW, last season in the NFL 3 WRs were on the field on just over 50% of the offensive snaps). No more 8, 9 in the box. Visions of 1998 with Moss, Carter, Reed and Robert Smith...defense pick your poison, because you can't adequately cover all the options.

Number two - IF they cannot find a trade partner and have to make a pick at #8, then they might well pick Manziel, or Bridgewater, or Evans, or perhaps even Mosely (to play OLB) or Zack Martin (to play LG). I know some of those players aren't "ranked" to be chosen as highly as #8. The question is "Are any of the QBs really good enough to be picked over more talented players at positions of need"? I'm not convinced that ANY of the QBs in this draft are really worthy of a 1st round pick, and almost certainly none of them in the top 10. Teams like the Vikings who are desperate for a QB (and there are more than a few) will probably reach for the best/better guys early, but it doesn't mean that the players will play up to their draft position (just like Ponder).

I'm pretty sure I do want the Vikings to wind up with one of the top 5 QB prospects (and by top 5, I'm saying Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr, Garoppolo). But if they get a couple of studs in rounds 1 and 2 and have to settle for a Mettenberger, or maybe a McCarron, or a more developmental guy like Savage (what a name for Vikings QB!), I could live with that.

drewlovs
04-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Actually, no, I'm not agreeing with you. (Nothing personal).

Number one - if presented with the mock you showed, I might very well decide to take WR Mike Evans at #8. Even with Cassel slinging the rock, imagine the dilemma defenses would have if you put Patterson, Jennings, Evans, Rudolph and Peterson out there every play (FWIW, last season in the NFL 3 WRs were on the field on just over 50% of the offensive snaps). No more 8, 9 in the box. Visions of 1998 with Moss, Carter, Reed and Robert Smith...defense pick your poison, because you can't adequately cover all the options.

Number two - IF they cannot find a trade partner and have to make a pick at #8, then they might well pick Manziel, or Bridgewater, or Evans, or perhaps even Mosely (to play OLB) or Zack Martin (to play LG). I know some of those players aren't "ranked" to be chosen as highly as #8. The question is "Are any of the QBs really good enough to be picked over more talented players at positions of need"? I'm not convinced that ANY of the QBs in this draft are really worthy of a 1st round pick, and almost certainly none of them in the top 10. Teams like the Vikings who are desperate for a QB (and there are more than a few) will probably reach for the best/better guys early, but it doesn't mean that the players will play up to their draft position (just like Ponder).

I'm pretty sure I do want the Vikings to wind up with one of the top 5 QB prospects (and by top 5, I'm saying Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr, Garoppolo). But if they get a couple of studs in rounds 1 and 2 and have to settle for a Mettenberger, or maybe a McCarron, or a more developmental guy like Savage (what a name for Vikings QB!), I could live with that.

I try to avoid taking things personal on these boards, we all have the same goal, just different points of view as to how to get that done.

I don't see any of the players mentioned (except Evans, maybe) besides the QBs as being worth what we could get via trading back. You are right, of course, that it depends on the teams willing to trade with us, but I feel confident that Evans will get many teams vying for the #8 if he is available.

But again! These are all of our opinions, and our lifestyles are not on the line if we are wrong. Either way, this year I have confidence in our coach and GM, something I haven't had in years.

midgensa
04-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I try to avoid taking things personal on these boards, we all have the same goal, just different points of view as to how to get that done.

I don't see any of the players mentioned (except Evans, maybe) besides the QBs as being worth what we could get via trading back. You are right, of course, that it depends on the teams willing to trade with us, but I feel confident that Evans will get many teams vying for the #8 if he is available.

But again! These are all of our opinions, and our lifestyles are not on the line if we are wrong. Either way, this year I have confidence in our coach and GM, something I haven't had in years.

I think a trade is very possible. It seems clear that the Ravens are really interested in Evans or Watkins ... and most teams feel like if they want one of those two receivers they have to get in front of the Lions.

We could easily move back and still land a Mosely or Carr or something of the like and be in really good shape with what might be the best second and third rounds in the NFL Draft in quite some time.

gamecocksbaseball31
04-10-2014, 07:22 PM

No, YOU don't understand what I am saying. Let's use the Jets, because I really don't think too much of their coach. Doing a Redskin's style trade when they went after RGIII, the Texans would get the #18 pick, the #50 pick, the Jet's 2015 1st round pick, and the Jet's 2016 1st round pick. At #18, there is still a great chance of getting a great player, plus they get the #33 and #50 picks to get more from this deep draft.

What team would not give up ONE draft pick to insure they had 2 1st round picks for the next 2 years?

Again, it was a dumb move on the Redskin's part, but the fact that they DID do it means someone else might this year too. I do not think it will happen, but saying the Texans would be stupid for doing it is what I'm taking exception to. .

If you go back to what you WERE arguing, you didn't say anything about the pick 2 years from now. Pretty huge difference.

mountainviking
04-12-2014, 08:57 PM
8 WR SAMMY WATKINS CLEMSON
40 LB RYAN SHAZIER OHIO STATE
72 C MARCUS MARTIN USC (he started 2 years at OG before moving to C)
96 QB ZACH METTENBERGER LSU
108 CB JAYLEN WATKINS FLORIDA

Holy Shit! That would be sweet, eh!?? ;)

Pretty much went with a top 3 BPA pick in every instance and still nailed holes.

MaxVike
04-13-2014, 08:05 AM
8 WR SAMMY WATKINS CLEMSON
40 LB RYAN SHAZIER OHIO STATE
72 C MARCUS MARTIN USC (he started 2 years at OG before moving to C)
96 QB ZACH METTENBERGER LSU
108 CB JAYLEN WATKINS FLORIDA

Holy Shit! That would be sweet, eh!?? ;)

Pretty much went with a top 3 BPA pick in every instance and still nailed holes.

I love nailing holes :rofl:

mountainviking
04-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I love nailing holes :rofl:

LOL!! Nice!

Here's another run taking the top guy on the list, other than devaluing RBs 3 or 4 spots on the later 3 picks...and I think the depth of the draft is really showing through, that we can go BPA and still fill the holes with some serious talent.

WR MIKE EVANS TEXAS A&M
DT TIMMY JERNIGAN FLORIDA STATE
C MARCUS MARTIN USC
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO EASTERN ILLINOIS
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT TEXAS

Adding Evans catching radius to Flash and Jennings and Rudolf makes who our QB is matter much, much less...specially when you also add a bigger-younger-stronger improvement at LG who can fill in at C if needed too. Jernigan is usually off the board by the mid teens, if he somehow falls to 40, how do we not take him!? Add him and the smaller, faster Jeffcoat to the other DL we already have and our front line rotation looks as good as any in the league. Not at all a bad thing in a division full of probowl QBs and big, fast WRs!?!!

And then there is QB where I really feel I'll be happy with any of them, as I see a large bunch of roughly equal projects who won't have a chance to win unless we improve the rest of the team too. And I'm assuming that they know better than I which of them fits the program best.

2beersTommy
04-13-2014, 01:53 PM
OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH
C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
DT DAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
DE MORGAN BRESLIN
USC

:think:

drewlovs
04-14-2014, 01:17 PM
If you go back to what you WERE arguing, you didn't say anything about the pick 2 years from now. Pretty huge difference.

I specifically referred to our trade for Walker, the Raiders trade for Palmer (and other stupid dealings) and the Redskins trade for RGIII; no, I did not lay out every pick the Rams got, but then, I didn't think I had to. I also didn't go over our debacle, mainly because I become sick to my stomach when I think about it.

That being said, I'm glad I was able to clarify my assertion, since I knew there was a disconnect somewhere. I just thought saying "A Redskin's type deal for RGIII" would be understood as everything the Redskins gave up to get RGIII.

tarkenton10
04-14-2014, 01:28 PM

Just some food for thought for both of you, there is an old saying - "You never win a pissing contest with a skunk!!" You guys might want to bury this debate, just a thought, carry on.

drewlovs
04-15-2014, 01:51 PM
I hope this isn't arguing, I didn't think it was. I just made a post that was a bit confusing, and had to clarify a few times is all. If I had written my original post a little better, I don't think there would have been any back and forth about it to begin with.

mountainviking
04-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow! You gotta be kidding me!? If we landed a draft like this I might not take off my horned helm for weeks!

8 QB BLAKE BORTLES
CENTRAL FLORIDA
40 ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA
72 C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
96 RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
108 CB RASHAAD REYNOLDS
OREGON STATE

Bortles or Mathews were the BPA and I just had to grab the QB with our long running long term need at the position and his fit for Norv's system. But if Bortles wasn't there and Mathews was, I might grab him and play him at LG and improve running lanes for AP big time and our pass blocking by a chunk. Also, never a bad thing to have OL who can play multiple positions in a pinch. On that same line, scoring MM in the third would be HUGE for whoever is playing QB.

Mosley at 40!? Maybe, there's been some rumors of him slipping. But landing our QB of the Defense and Offense 1-2 like than might be the kind of draft that turns a franchise's fortune around for a while!

Even Sankey and Reynolds look like steals at those picks. Sankey is ridiculously strong and a good blocker with decent, 4.5 speed, and Reynolds is a former wrestler who likes to stuff the run.

Wow. Goona be fun to see how this draft shakes out!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!! GET THIS DRAFT RIGHT!!!!!!!! ;)

Paul Simpson
04-27-2014, 02:26 PM
DT AARON DONALD
PITTSBURGH
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
G CHRIS WATT
NOTRE DAME

my four rounds, first go. Mack, Barr, Clowny and all 3 top QB off the board, no option to trade down so went with Donald.

Don't think pick is so bad as the fresher you keep the D line the more effort they can put in on each down.

Think Mettenberger might be my number one qb pick anyway although think Bortles has good upside and would fit with Norv.

gamecocksbaseball31
04-27-2014, 03:43 PM
This mock was contingent on a couple things... First, the trade down.

We trade down somewhere in the teens and get an extra second in return.
Secondly, we use our extra second and one of the thirds to get back into first round.

1 HaHa Clinton-Dix
1 (trade back into first with extra 2nd and 3rd) Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard (both were here)
2 gabe Jackson G Miss St
3 Stephen Tuitt
4th Martavis Bennett WR Clemson
5th Aaron Murray
6th Devon Kennard OLB USC
7th Jeremy Gallon WR Mich or Connor Shaw

Could really solidify the secondary for the next ten years.

Rage4Order
04-27-2014, 05:14 PM
I did a 4 rd draft. thought it came out pretty good. Hit my Defense early with some good picks.

8. Aaron Donald Dt Pitt
40. Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
72. Terrence Brooks S Florida State
96. Tom Savage QB Pitt
108. Zach Mettenberger QB LSU

Loved having Shazier at 40. Then got 2 QBs that I think fit what Norv does. One of them has to work.

drewlovs
04-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm having real troubles with the simulator right now...
Walterfootball says the Browns will take Marquis Lee at 3. DUH!!
DraftTV had Clowney falling to us at 8... DUH!!
OurLads had Anthony Barr going NUMBER ONE OVERALL.

Kinda tough to believe anything that comes up when you get those types of results...

QFFL
04-28-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm having real troubles with the simulator right now...
Walterfootball says the Browns will take Marquis Lee at 3. DUH!!
DraftTV had Clowney falling to us at 8... DUH!!
OurLads had Anthony Barr going NUMBER ONE OVERALL.

Kinda tough to believe anything that comes up when you get those types of results...

Because there is no consensus top prospects this year. It will be very challenging for the GM to make the correct picks especially in the top 10.

drewlovs
04-29-2014, 12:18 AM
Because there is no consensus top prospects this year. It will be very challenging for the GM to make the correct picks especially in the top 10.

I'll agree with that partially... but there is no way in HELL Lee goes before both Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans. Further, Barr before both Mack and Clowney? I could see Mack being picked over Clowney (I don't think it will happen, but I can see the argument), but BARR over both of them? Not a chance.

One last thing... Clowney MIGHT fall to 3 TOPS. I cannot see any legit scenario where Clowney is there for us at 8, though I would LOVE it if he did.

midgensa
04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
I'll agree with that partially... but there is no way in HELL Lee goes before both Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans. Further, Barr before both Mack and Clowney? I could see Mack being picked over Clowney (I don't think it will happen, but I can see the argument), but BARR over both of them? Not a chance.

One last thing... Clowney MIGHT fall to 3 TOPS. I cannot see any legit scenario where Clowney is there for us at 8, though I would LOVE it if he did.

Yeah ... I keep playing around with this ... but the only board to use is the Fanspeak one and I go ahead and doctor it up a bit every time.

If Clowney falls past No. 3 ... I reset. If Barr/Carr/Shazier (yeah I have seen it) go No. 1 ... I reset. If it is a ridiculous first five picks ... I reset it.

It is a good gage of what teams need, but far too many teams draft need no matter what in this simulation which means taking the No. 72 player at No. 20 because it is a need.

Still fun ... but I watch the first 8 closely and reset when it is too ridiculous at this point.

midgensa
04-29-2014, 09:07 AM
My latest. I customized the board to mirror Mel Kiper's Top 100 board ... and it made it come out a little wonky ... though at least Clowney went No. 1 as he should ... Here is what I ended up with:

32 QB JOHNNY MANZIEL, TEXAS A&M

40 ILB CHRIS BORLAND, WISCONSIN

64 S JIMMIE WARD, NORTHERN ILLINOIS

72 RB TRE MASON, AUBURN

80 WR MARTAVIS BRYANT, CLEMSON

84 CB TERRANCE MITCHELL, OREGON

86 OLB CARL BRADFORD, ARIZONA STATE

113 G TRAI TURNER, LSU

153, DT CARAUN REID, PRINCETON

223 CB NEVIN LAWSON, UTAH STATE

ARIZONA'S 2015 Fifth Round pick was also acquired

I did seven trades total, especially after all of the QBs were free-falling ... here are the trades:

- Sent pick 1-8 to St. Louis for 1-13, 3-11 and 5-13
- Sent pick 1-13 to NYJ for 1-18 and 3-16
- Sent pick 1-18 to Philly for 1-22 and 3-22
- Sent pick 1-22 to S.D. for 1-25 and 4-25
- Sent pick 1-25, 3-32 and 5-8 to Seattle for 1-32 and 2-32
- Sent pick 3-8 to Arizona for 3-20 and a 2015 Fifth Round Pick
- Sent 4-25 and 6-8 to NYG for 4-13

drewlovs
04-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah ... I keep playing around with this ... but the only board to use is the Fanspeak one and I go ahead and doctor it up a bit every time.

If Clowney falls past No. 3 ... I reset. If Barr/Carr/Shazier (yeah I have seen it) go No. 1 ... I reset. If it is a ridiculous first five picks ... I reset it.

It is a good gage of what teams need, but far too many teams draft need no matter what in this simulation which means taking the No. 72 player at No. 20 because it is a need.

Still fun ... but I watch the first 8 closely and reset when it is too ridiculous at this point.

Good advice, I've just been walking away from it when it does stupid crap like that.

midgensa
05-07-2014, 08:57 AM
So, my best one yet IMO ... was able to shuffle around. I had been writing down trades so I could post them here, but didn't here. I did end up with the Eagles 2015 Sixth Round Draft Pick as well.

My first four picks could not have went much better. I wanted Manziel, but with both he and Bridgewater on the board, I went ahead and traded all the way back to 25 (in front of Cleveland) knowing that I would get at least one. That gave me the ammo to move up for Mosely ... and then Verrett fell in my lap. Tuitt is a steal at that spot.

All the other picks that were acquired will make for some fantastic camp battles leading to a very solid amount of CONTRIBUTING young players. I think with the load of LBs and S's we should either see what we already have pretty clearly or see that there is better talent out there very clearly. Either way ... all the bodies should provide a better nucleus as those positions.

R1
QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER, LOUISVILLE (Starter Day 1)

R2
ILB C.J. MOSLEY, ALABAMA (Starter Day 1)

R2 CB JASON VERRETT, TCU (Starter Day 1, certainly at least in nickel)

R3 DE STEPHON TUITT, NOTRE DAME (Heavy rotation, if not starter Day 1)

R3 RB TRE MASON, AUBURN (Projected future starter learning from the best)

R4 DT WILL SUTTON, ARIZONA STATE (Heavy rotation Day 1)

R4 WR JARED ABBREDERIS, WISCONSIN (Should be No. 3 or No. 4 WR on Day 1)

R4 CB PIERRE DESIR, LINDENWOOD (Should make it as No. 4 or No. 5 CB)

R4 S ED REYNOLDS, STANFORD (Could actually start Day 1)

R4 WR ROBERT HERRON, WYOMING (Could make our WR corps go five deep easy)

R5 ILB JORDAN ZUMWALT, UCLA (Solid depth, Special teams)

R5 G MICHAEL SCHOFIELD, MICHIGAN (Could come in and battle for significant time)

R6 OLB KASIM EDEBALI, BOSTON COLLEGE (Depth)

R7 S ISAIAH LEWIS, MICHIGAN STATE (Could easily develop into longterm starter if others don't work out)