PDA

View Full Version : Scott Turner is new quarterbacks coach

VikingsFan1234
01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
I never heard of this guy, does anybody have information on him?

tastywaves
01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I never heard of this guy, does anybody have information on him?

I've heard of his daddy.

2beersTommy
01-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I never heard of this guy, does anybody have information on him? Lol, have you guys ever tried google before ? https://www.google.com/

Son of OC Norv Turner, and (ex) WR coach of the Cleveland Brownies

Cleveland Browns: Scott Turner (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches/scott-turner/4e5032ac-fffd-486f-813a-14948c786237)

VikingsFan1234
01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Lol, have you guys ever tried google before ? https://www.google.com/

Son of OC Norv Turner, and (ex) WR coach of the Cleveland Brownies

Cleveland Browns: Scott Turner (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches/scott-turner/4e5032ac-fffd-486f-813a-14948c786237)

Google did not work for me so that is why I asked and I am not sure about turning from wide receiver into a quarterbacks coach....

VikesfaninWis
01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
His daddy is our new OC..

2beersTommy
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
His daddy is our new OC..

Its a family affair.. Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Uzikag7Xo)

VikesfaninWis
01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Its a family affair.. Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Uzikag7Xo)

Nice

Lippythelion69
01-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Don't like it
Redskins with shannafools

Lippythelion69
01-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Let the kid get it on his own

kingpin9995
01-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Let the kid get it on his own

Who's next .... Dr. Evil and Scotty....... ?

You have to wonder sometime about the good of this father son thing. Now we are going to have Z and his kid and Turner and his kid too. Spoiled brats... YES make your own names you puzzies.. http://www.purplepride.org/images/smilies/neenerneener.gif

TRY TO STAY ON TOPIC KINGPIN thanks RK

Ranger
01-16-2014, 04:14 PM

You have to wonder sometime about the good of this father son thing. Now we are going to have Z and his kid and Turner and his kid too. Spoiled brats... YES make your own names you puzzies..

What the fuck happened here?

NodakPaul
01-16-2014, 04:21 PM

kingpin spouting his normal crap.

FuadFan
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Well to not assume the worst about Scott Turner I'll either guess Norv wants him to coach multiple offensive positions to improve his coaching or possibly Zimmer wants to keep George Stewart as our WR coach.

jargomcfargo
01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
The moderators moved on. I think there may be an ignore function here somewhere.

RK.
01-17-2014, 09:54 AM
The moderators moved on. I think there may be an ignore function here somewhere.

Not moved on just takes a little time to review everything is all.

Minniman
01-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Oh, yeah. I was this close to getting a coaching gig with the Cleveland Browns, and I nailed the audish, but I didn't get it. Guess who did.

Norv's son, little "Nepotis".

Anyway, I just decided to give up and become a teacher, because those that can't do, teach.

And those that can't teach, teach gym. Am I right ?

Minniman
01-17-2014, 04:19 PM

You have to wonder sometime about the good of this father son thing. Now we are going to have Z and his kid and Turner and his kid too. Spoiled brats... YES make your own names you puzzies.
What the f___ happened here?
Kingpin is just saying that the kids should make their own way as coaches and not have their daddies bring them in.

How many good coaches missed chances to be hired because these coaches bring in their kids? How many minority coaches will get a chance when white coaches pencil in their sons for positions? These are fair questions.

RK.
01-17-2014, 07:28 PM
How many kids would miss the chance to coach because their daddy was a coach? All I care about is can they do the job.

VikesfaninWis
01-17-2014, 08:51 PM
How many kids would miss the chance to coach because their daddy was a coach? All I care about is can they do the job.

Exactly.

Minniman
01-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Well, I guess it is still 1964 in America.

It is not just about if that one person can do the job. It is about finding the best qualified candidate in a fair and open process.

RK.
01-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Putting together a TEAM is not just about finding the "best qualified candidate. A coach is looking for people he knows he can work with and trusts, and that usually means people he has a history with. Are the people Zimmer is hiring all the most qualified of those available? I don't know that. Not sure anyone knows that. He is putting together a team of coach's that he has worked with and that share his vision of what the Vikings need. Its not all about qualifications or fairness, or affirmative action.

Minniman
01-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Putting together a TEAM is not just about finding the "best qualified candidate. A coach is looking for people he knows he can work with and trusts, and that usually means people he has a history with. Are the people Zimmer is hiring all the most qualified of those available? I don't know that. Not sure anyone knows that. He is putting together a team of coach's that he has worked with and that share his vision of what the Vikings need. Its not all about qualifications or fairness, or affirmative action.
Your statement could be made for every case of nepotism in the workplace. It is also made for the families of dictators, mob bosses, and the Communist Party of North Korea, but those are potential straw men, so I will leave it there.

This is not about people the head coach has worked with. I am certain Turner did not work with his son when his son was in diapers. Until last year, they have not worked together as coaches.

The Vikings quarterbacks coaches in the past few decades have one thing lacking: experience as an NFL quarterback. While there are certainly good coaches without this experience, it would be nice to have a coach that has been in the line of fire, knows what the X's and O's look like on the field, and can relate to coverage schemes while over the center. Brett Favre and Cris Carter could likely teach more about the position of quarterback and receiver respectively than most coaches. Scott Turner does have experience as a quarterback at the University of Nevada, but he has no NFL experience in that position.

As far as affirmative action, your excuse for nepotism is an excuse that employers used while widespread discriminating against minorities in the workplace. Without that kind of thinking, the courts would not have required affirmative action. Nepotism is discrimination against anyone not the employers children. It is far reaching.

Before we go too far down that road, I also did not agree with Dennis Green bringing in inexperienced coaches from the NFL's minority coaches program to be named as regular coaches for critical positions on the team. The Vikings needed the best coaches available, and many of those coaches had not done their due time as top assistants at the college level. Giving minorities experience in NFL operations was a fine goal, but the coaches still should have had to had trial by fire at a lower level to show their skill at coaching.

The same premise applies to this situation. Scott Turner has a weak resume to be a quarterbacks coach. Although he was a quarterback in college, he has not coached that position at any level and has no NFL experience as a quarterback. Shouldn't we expect one of those in such a critical coaching position for the Vikings? Turner has coached wide receivers, but he has not been hired for that position.

What experience does Scott Turner have as a quarterbacks coach? If he was not Norv's son, would he have been considered for this position? Will any veteran respect his lack of experience? Will any young quarterback be best served by him rather than a more experienced coach or a veteran NFL player as a coach? I am not convinced.

iowa
01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
it's a free country, sort of, it's a private business, they can hire whoever they want. if they think norv's boy fits into their plans then hire him.

MaxVike
01-18-2014, 12:39 PM
This is a non story…

rockymtdan
01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
it's a free country, sort of, it's a private business, they can hire whoever they want. if they think norv's boy fits into their plans then hire him.

Maybe he was part of Norv's deal to come here. Besides I dought daddy let him write his own teachers manual or that he will not be given a daily training schedule.

Minniman
01-19-2014, 10:36 AM
This is a non story…
Whether you agree with nepotism or not, to simply state it is not a story, without evidence, is not logically valid.

It is a story. It is simple to google "NFL nepotism" and find many articles regarding this topic. There are pages of articles pro and con, and the impact on minority coaching is addressed in many of them.

Many people who have had to work under a less qualified son or daughter of the boss can tell you it is disruptive to the workforce. It breeds animosity and contempt - even in professionals. People who have been passed over for a job by a less qualified child or relation of the boss can tell you it is a big deal.

The Vikings are going from a minority head coach, who was well liked by his players, to a white head coach and white coordinator who have been part of the "old boy" network in the NFL for many years. If these coaches believe nepotism is fine under these conditions, their judgment must be questioned.

Considering the Wilfs have installed themselves in many front office positions, over potentially more experienced candidates, to ill effect, one would believe that fans would be more wary of this than fans of some other NFL teams.

marshallvike
01-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Well, I guess it is still 1964 in America.

It is not just about if that one person can do the job. It is about finding the best qualified candidate in a fair and open process.

BULL s###!
What planet are you from? Didn't you ever learn the lesson"life's not fair" when you were a kid? People have to learn to deal with it. He can hire whoever the hell he wants.

Minniman
01-19-2014, 11:48 AM
BULL s###!
What planet are you from? Didn't you ever learn the lesson"life's not fair" when you were a kid? People have to learn to deal with it. He can hire whoever the hell he wants.
So it is still 1964 in America.

Got it.

jargomcfargo
01-19-2014, 12:26 PM
This is a non story…
' Way I see it as well.

Ted Dibiase
01-19-2014, 01:46 PM
So it is still 1964 in America.

Got it.
This isn't a job at a car dealership. Turner is the incoming talent and the son is part of his staff. As an established OC he gets to call some shots. I'm sure it was a take it or leave it deal.

MaxVike
01-19-2014, 03:23 PM
(null)

Sorry, I will rephrase. I don't give a shit.

NodakPaul
01-19-2014, 04:01 PM
How did this become a race issue? Let's stop that right now, because that is finding cause where one probably doesn't exist.

As far as the nepotism, I don't see this much different than a position coach who brings his favorite assistant along with him from team to team. It happens all the time, and it happens because of a myriad of reasons. Part of the reason you hire a head coach, or a GM, or whatever, is because of their ability to bring in certain talent.

This is how life works, in the NFL, incorporate America, in general. Is it a story? I guess, but a pretty damn unimportant one IMHO.

Minniman
01-19-2014, 08:30 PM
How did this become a race issue? Let's stop that right now, because that is finding cause where one probably doesn't exist.
It is not overt. It is a potential race issue because white coaches tend to not have minority children.

As far as the nepotism, I don't see this much different than a position coach who brings his favorite assistant along with him from team to team.
Neither of their sons are long time assistants of these coaches.

It happens all the time, and it happens because of a myriad of reasons. Part of the reason you hire a head coach, or a GM, or whatever, is because of their ability to bring in certain talent.
Again, what experience does Scott Turner have in the NFL as a quarterbacks coach? Does he have experience as a college quarterbacks coach? Are there any NFL quarterbacks that he has mentored or coached into the playoffs?

No.

This is how life works, in the NFL, incorporate America, in general. Is it a story? I guess, but a pretty damn unimportant one IMHO.
It happens. It is illegal in government, civil service, and in the military, and it is against some corporate charters, but it is not illegal otherwise. Even then, it happens and is difficult to prosecute as long as nepotism is not shown to override experience, ability, race, and other factors.

The point here is that Scott Turner is going to have to tutor any new quarterback in the ways of the NFL or any old quarterback into a new system, but he no experience as a quarterbacks coach.

It is hypocritical for the NFL to force owners to bring in minorities for head coaching positions under the Rooney Rule but also allow nepotism from old boy network white coaches. I guess it may not be important to fans who are not minorities, but it may be to players ... who often are.

Mike Zimmer talks about bringing in the best experienced coaches, but I guess there is an exception being made for a couple of them. Talk is cheap; action takes more metal.

digital420
01-20-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm kinda with those that think this is a non story..

my only reall opionin toward it would be this.

1. Daddy is an OC, has been HC, knows more about the NFL football then 99.9% of the armchair HC's..
2. Jr learns from dad his whole life about football.. plays change here or there but the O theory basicly remains the same. after 10 years of living with Daddy's NFL career, discussions, being so close to the coaches, and the whole environment of football.. Jr now has a keen insight into what his Daddy wants to do..
3. Jr is able to help positions see where his daddy's plays put everything.. what position might he know best? qb.. ok.. will HE be the one building plays? no.. will he be making decisions on who's ready who's not? i really really doubt it.. will he be relaying EXACTLY what Daddy wants his QB's to hear? i'm pretty sure this is the case.

does he desreve it? maybe mabye not.. if Daddy leads our O to glory.. i'm sure none of us r gonna care one way or another..

DiGiTaL

rockymtdan
01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm kinda with those that think this is a non story..

my only reall opionin toward it would be this.

1. Daddy is an OC, has been HC, knows more about the NFL football then 99.9% of the armchair HC's..
2. Jr learns from dad his whole life about football.. plays change here or there but the O theory basicly remains the same. after 10 years of living with Daddy's NFL career, discussions, being so close to the coaches, and the whole environment of football.. Jr now has a keen insight into what his Daddy wants to do..
3. Jr is able to help positions see where his daddy's plays put everything.. what position might he know best? qb.. ok.. will HE be the one building plays? no.. will he be making decisions on who's ready who's not? i really really doubt it.. will he be relaying EXACTLY what Daddy wants his QB's to hear? i'm pretty sure this is the case.

does he desreve it? maybe mabye not.. if Daddy leads our O to glory.. i'm sure none of us r gonna care one way or another..

DiGiTaL

What he said.

kingpin9995
01-20-2014, 09:12 AM
What he said.

Face the fact.... It's a good ole boys league. Are you trying to tell me that there is not
much more qualified candidates to hire as qb coach and the new head coaches sons
position then THEIR SONS? Stop now! This team needs a very very qualified qb coach
for sure especially when we know there is going to be a wet behind the ears young qb
probably coming into this team via the draft. So Norv's son is the most qualified.
I beg to disagree. I tell it like it is. You don't like it call the monitor and get me booted.
I just hope the keep Pheiffer. Don't run a guy because a long haired attention
whore who could not just do his job of punting the ball without getting involved in
every moral issue on earth all the way to the pope, like that wimp Kluwe did.

Minniman
01-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Face the fact.... It's a good ole boys league. Are you trying to tell me that there is not much more qualified candidates to hire as qb coach and the new head coach's sons position then THEIR SONS? Stop now! This team needs a very very qualified qb coach for sure especially when we know there is going to be a wet behind the ears young qb probably coming into this team via the draft. So Norv's son is the most qualified. I beg to disagree.
That is my point.

I hope it all works out well. Maybe Scott Turner is the second coming of Chucky, and will be a great QB coach. May the odds forever be in his favor.

whore ... getting involved in every moral issue on earth all the way to the pope, like that wimp Kluwe did.
Wasn't Jesus Christ a long haired attention getter who not only got involved with moral issues but implored his disciples to do so?

While I believe Kluwe needed to balance his off field advocacy with his on field game, one should recall that he was reacting to anti-gay comments by other NFL players and a pervasive atmosphere of anti-gay rhetoric in the NFL.

rockymtdan
01-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Face the fact.... It's a good ole boys league. Are you trying to tell me that there is not
much more qualified candidates to hire as qb coach and the new head coaches sons
position then THEIR SONS? Stop now! This team needs a very very qualified qb coach
for sure especially when we know there is going to be a wet behind the ears young qb
probably coming into this team via the draft. So Norv's son is the most qualified.
I beg to disagree. I tell it like it is. You don't like it call the monitor and get me booted.
whore who could not just do his job of punting the ball without getting involved in
every moral issue on earth all the way to the pope, like that wimp Kluwe did.

I am all for the father son thing, who better to convey the scheme, carry out orders and stay on task.
Good old boy network?! So what. We all deal with it right down to our own city hall. Dumb fucks more often then not but I wont wast my time bitching about it. I don't have the money or the connections to change it.
Yes we should keep Pheiffer.

Minniman
01-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I am all for the father son thing, who better to convey the scheme, carry out orders and stay on task.
Good old boy network?! So what. We all deal with it right down to our own city hall. Dumb fucks more often then not but I wont wast my time bitching about it.
You do know your two statements are logically inconsistent.

The first says nepotism works, the second gives evidence to the contrary.

i_bleed_purple
01-20-2014, 10:55 AM
There once was a coach named Buddy Ryan. He had two sons, Rex and Rob.

In 1994, Buddy Ryan was the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He brought in a guy named Rex Ryan as his DL/LB Coach. At that point, Rex had no NFL experience at all, as a player or coach.

THat same year, Buddy Ryan brought in a college coach named Rob Ryan. This guy had no NFL experience at all. Rob was the DB coach for Arizona.

Neither were the most qualified, neither won because of their potential. They were brought in because they were Buddy's sons.

Well, Both of them are known as some of the better defensive coaches in the game.

rockymtdan
01-20-2014, 10:55 AM
You do know your two statements are logically inconsistent.

The first says nepotism works, the second gives evidence to the contrary.

"Good ole boys" does not mean family.
Nepotism in this case works for me,let them give it a go.

jargomcfargo
01-20-2014, 11:51 AM

In 1994, Buddy Ryan was the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He brought in a guy named Rex Ryan as his DL/LB Coach. At that point, Rex had no NFL experience at all, as a player or coach.

THat same year, Buddy Ryan brought in a college coach named Rob Ryan. This guy had no NFL experience at all. Rob was the DB coach for Arizona.

Neither were the most qualified, neither won because of their potential. They were brought in because they were Buddy's sons.

Well, Both of them are known as some of the better defensive coaches in the game.

That's the way I see it as well. How many great coaches are the sons of coaches ?
I'm not trying to make a case for nepotism, nor am I going to insert myself as the moral compass for the Vikings organization.
It's a game; entertainment. Not a platform for political agendas.

Minniman
01-20-2014, 01:05 PM
That's the way I see it as well. How many great coaches are the sons of coaches ?
I do not know. How many are, and how many are not?

Buddy Ryan's boys may do well now, but did they help the teams they were starting out with, or did those teams have hard knocks to earn the Ryan boys some experience? I don't recall Buddy Ryan head coached teams doing all that well.

I completely understand the practice. I also understand that if a coach has to bring in his son to be on the same page as his coach, he is a pretty bad coach. I also know this practice tends to alienate personnel. It is simple for many fans to dismiss, because we do not have the history of many of the players.

Some here see it as daddy bringing in his son as the foreman on the job site. I get that, and that is not really a problem if the foreman had paid his dues and was experienced enough to be in that position. However, if that foreman was inexperienced and placed in a position where he had to learn on the job, it would be detrimental to the project and likely cause animosity with other employees.

In the NFL, everything needs to click to become a champion. Vikings fans know that a breakdown on one play or one kick can cost a trip to the Superbowl. Vikings fans know that one coach or one fullback that does not have his head in the game or does not know the rules can cause disaster. We also know that the quarterback is the most important position on the field, and having an experienced quarterbacks coach can make a huge difference.

I'm not trying to make a case for nepotism, nor am I going to insert
myself as the moral compass for the Vikings organization. It's a game; entertainment. Not a platform for political agendas.
This organization is allowed to represent Minnesota, and it takes taxpayer money. Where do we draw the line in what is allowed by moral and community standards?

Disregarding any moral questions, when do we question the football decisions of a coach? One must ask, "Is the the best coach for this position?" Considering Scott Turners background, it is a legitimate question.

kingpin9995
01-21-2014, 08:32 AM
That is my point.

I hope it all works out well. Maybe Scott Turner is the second coming of Chucky, and will be a great QB coach. May the odds forever be in his favor.

Wasn't Jesus Christ a long haired attention getter who not only got involved with moral issues but implored his disciples to do so?

While I believe Kluwe needed to balance his off field advocacy with his on field game, one should recall that he was reacting to anti-gay comments by other NFL players and a pervasive atmosphere of anti-gay rhetoric in the NFL.

Lord, forgive him for he knows not what he says. We are now comparing an attention whore, alternative band flop, moral compass, middle of the pack punter, to our lord and savior? Forgive him for he knows not what he does Father. Kluwe is where he belongs. Doing gigs at the local VFW, trying so hard to stay in the spotlight. Krissy lost his forum and now no one gives a rats ass what he thinks... Pheiffer is the MAN...

rockymtdan
01-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Lord, forgive him for he knows not what he says. We are now comparing an attention whore, alternative band flop, moral compass, middle of the pack punter, to our lord and savior? Forgive him for he knows not what he does Father. Kluwe is where he belongs. Doing gigs at the local VFW, trying so hard to stay in the spotlight. Krissy lost his forum and now no one gives a rats ass what he thinks... Pheiffer is the MAN...

I was going to let him play my garage but he wouldn't sweep so I booted him.

i_bleed_purple
01-21-2014, 09:00 AM
This organization is allowed to represent Minnesota, and it takes taxpayer money. Where do we draw the line in what is allowed by moral and community standards?
If this were a publically owned corporation, you could be on to something. However, this is a PRIVATE company. It is owned by a family, they can hire whoever they want. As long as they don't blatantly come out and say it's based on religion, race or creed, they can hire whoever they feel fits the organization best. If they think it's reasonable that Turner's son and Turner will get along and make a good coaching tandem, then why the hell not?

They take Government subsidies as they are into billion dollar investments. Guess who else takes government money? Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon. Do you think you'd have cellular coverage in rural Montana if not for government subidies? Large corporations all over the world get by based on government subsidies. That's how business works. If you don't like it, fine. But until the business actually does things that are illegal or immoral, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Disregarding any moral questions, when do we question the football decisions of a coach? One must ask, "Is the the best coach for this position?" Considering Scott Turners background, it is a legitimate question.

You do realize, that teams don't hire the "Best" coach at each position right? Otherwise we'd have a team featuring dozens of 'have-been' coordinators, taking on mentor roles in the form of position coaches. That doesn't happen.

And please, everybody. Keep in mind, we're talking about a quarterbacks coach. Not a head coach, not even a coordinator (Mike/Kyle Shannahan anybody?) But a QB coach.

Who was our last QB coach? Craig Johnson. Who worked in Tennessee as a QB coach from 2002-2009 (McNair era). After McNair, he was demoted to RB coach for a season. Prior to that he was a college assistant.

Packers QB coach Ben McAdoo, spent 8 years as a TE coach, then moved to QB coach.

Greg Knapp, QB coach of the Broncos has been fired around the league. Since being promoted to OC in 2001, he's been to 7 different teams over 13 years.

While yes, these guys might have a bit more experience, they're older and have been in the NFL longer, Turner has experience at both a pro and collegiate level. It's not like he's coming straight out of high school coaching.

And at the end of the day sometimes, it's not what you know, it's who you know. In the business world, health care, etc. Sometimes all it takes is a break to get a job, and you can take off from there.

RK.
01-21-2014, 09:22 AM
And I would add to that IBP that he comes from a NFL family and has been around coaching all his life. Take the Harbaugh family of coaches and players as another example. I assume that when you grow up in a family where the NFL and coaching is a center of family life you pick up a few things about how its done.

drewlovs
01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
How many "dream teams" have really REALLY worked? It is a awesome thing to hire the "best" person for each person, but if the "best" coaches for each position do not get along, it is all for naught. The Vikings have had more Black Head Coaches and QBs than half the NFL, and I think its kinda crappy to bring race into this discussion. Throw that at the Cowboys or the Dolphins, but can we cut our team some slack?

As far as a son being selected in the coaching staff, it is my opinion that you hire the Head Coach and then let him and the GM select the rest of the coaches, so they have the crew THEY want and gives them the best chance for success. If we don't see results, then fire them and move on.

I expect to see more black coaches AND QBs working/playing for the Vikings in the future, because they try to get the best person for the job(s). Instead of picking on them because THIS time the coaches are not of color, perhaps you should focus on the teams that have never hired even ONE.

kingpin9995
01-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Buddy Ryan was a horses ass. A crass prick that did jack squat as a head coach in the NFL. His only claim to fame as a head man was putting bounties on guys heads.
His son Rex is a nut that did not fall far from the tree. Another good ole boy network bum that has a big mouth, likes to suck womens toes, and has worn out his welcome in New York just like his dad did everywhere he went.

Rob's nut lies right next to Rex. Long haired jerk with a big mouth just like the old man and brother who goes from team to team and wins NOTHING, just like his brother.

Fuk the Ryans... I can't stand a one of them.

kingpin9995
01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
How many "dream teams" have really REALLY worked? It is a awesome thing to hire the "best" person for each person, but if the "best" coaches for each position do not get along, it is all for naught. The Vikings have had more Black Head Coaches and QBs than half the NFL, and I think its kinda crappy to bring race into this discussion. Throw that at the Cowboys or the Dolphins, but can we cut our team some slack?

As far as a son being selected in the coaching staff, it is my opinion that you hire the Head Coach and then let him and the GM select the rest of the coaches, so they have the crew THEY want and gives them the best chance for success. If we don't see results, then fire them and move on.

I expect to see more black coaches AND QBs working/playing for the Vikings in the future, because they try to get the best person for the job(s). Instead of picking on them because THIS time the coaches are not of color, perhaps you should focus on the teams that have never hired even ONE.

Yes indeed , we need more black coaches, more black qb's, and I really do think there is something amiss with the fact there is not ONE black punter or field goal kicker in the NFL. Are you kidding me? Not one person of color. Why is that? There are hispanic punters and kickers. Why no black ones? I also have a real problem with that fact that some teams in the NFL have offensive lines that do not contain even one black. Those teams know who they are and should be ashamed. I think it's time to start looking seriously at these obvious racial biases in these areas of the NFL.. The NFL is only around 70 percent black. Now tell me why there should not be 70 percent black coaches,, eh? I want something done. The NBA is now about 90 percent black. The at least are getting it right .... Finally I think we need more Richard Shermans in the NFL..He really showed the world in that interview the rage the black man has in the NFL today. I guess the only regret here is that he called out Crabtree and pretty much called him a dog receiver. The least Richard could have done was call out someone like Riley Cooper... you know.. a white guy that does not belong on the field as a receiver with the great Richard Sherman.. I love the NFL..

Minniman
01-21-2014, 01:58 PM
You do realize, that teams don't hire the "Best" coach at each position right? Otherwise we'd have a team featuring dozens of 'have-been' coordinators, taking on mentor roles in the form of position coaches. That doesn't happen.

And please, everybody. Keep in mind, we're talking about a quarterbacks coach. Not a head coach, not even a coordinator (Mike/Kyle Shannahan anybody?) But a QB coach ... Turner has experience at both a pro and collegiate level. It's not like he's coming straight out of high school coaching.

And at the end of the day sometimes, it's not what you know, it's who you know. In the business world, health care, etc. Sometimes all it takes is a break to get a job, and you can take off from there.
Yes, I understand. It is often who you know more than anything - even when it is not in the best interest in the team. We have yet to know about that in this case. I hope it works out for the better.

Thank you for making a reply that is thought out and sensible. It is sometimes difficult to discuss topics on this board, and others, because many OPs often gets a slew of one liners and knee jerk reactions. What is the point of having a board if everyone is always "right" about everything without argument or logical conversation? That just doesn't work.

rockymtdan
01-21-2014, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=kingpin9995;1151245]Yes indeed , we need more black coaches, more black qb's, and I really do think there is something amiss with the fact there is not ONE black punter or field goal kicker in the NFL. Are you kidding me? Not one person of color. Why is that?

Ahhhhhh...... black man can't kick?
Maybe they do not even try out for the job because they have higher aspiration.
All coaches say they select the man that gives them the best chance to win.
We do not need to go though the whole deck of race cards to figure it out.

kingpin9995
01-23-2014, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=kingpin9995;1151245]Yes indeed , we need more black coaches, more black qb's, and I really do think there is something amiss with the fact there is not ONE black punter or field goal kicker in the NFL. Are you kidding me? Not one person of color. Why is that?

Ahhhhhh...... black man can't kick?
Maybe they do not even try out for the job because they have higher aspiration.
All coaches say they select the man that gives them the best chance to win.
We do not need to go though the whole deck of race cards to figure it out.

Word is Pheiffer to remain special teams coach. Great news eh Kluwe? Looks like no one
is standing up for you moral man.. You'll be fine, you have your band to fall back on
playing at gay pride marches... giggle.

vikesrgreat2
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Buddy Ryan was a horses ass. A crass prick that did jack squat as a head coach in the NFL. His only claim to fame as a head man was putting bounties on guys heads.
His son Rex is a nut that did not fall far from the tree. Another good ole boy network bum that has a big mouth, likes to suck womens toes, and has worn out his welcome in New York just like his dad did everywhere he went.

Rob's nut lies right next to Rex. Long haired jerk with a big mouth just like the old man and brother who goes from team to team and wins NOTHING, just like his brother.

There once was a coach, Buddy Ryan,
Whose teams made the fans start a-cryin',
His sons, quite the same,
Both went on to fame,
And still in the NFL, tryin'...

kingpin9995
01-23-2014, 12:09 PM
There once was a coach, Buddy Ryan,
Whose teams made the fans start a-cryin',
His sons, quite the same,
Both went on to fame,
And still in the NFL, tryin'...

There once was a coach named Buddy Ryan
A name for himself at any cost he was a tryin
He finally became the head man in Philly
And proved that notion was incredibly silly

His sons came after to carry on the name
Rex's foot fetish was his claim to fame
Then came Rob, from one team to another
I feel sorry for these two bums mother.

2beersTommy
01-23-2014, 12:22 PM
wow haha

kingpin9995
01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
wow haha

booze nose kramer would be proud....

drewlovs
01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
There are lots of hispanic kickers because football cannibalizes soccer players for kickers. Soccer is HUGE in hispanic countries, so there is a larger "pool" to draw from; being a kicker is not a job many black americans strive for, and as such, there are fewer that practice enough at the position to achieve NFL ability. It is, in my opinion, all about the numbers: the more one group pushes to achieve, the more the chance one will.

I could be wrong, of course, it is just my perceptions I am drawing from...and its not like I have had sooo many football experiences that what I see is definitively true.

But c'mon, guys! The vikings have done a lot in trying to give black coaches and QBs a fair shake at those key positions. Let other teams that have not worry about these topics, and for once, try not to find fault in areas we shouldn't, as it allows for us to over-look those areas deserve scrutiny.

Vikefan05
01-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Exactly.

+1 I'd like to think that maybe this guy is a good coordinator that happens to be Turner's son. Good chance Turner won't want to look like a fool because of the coordinator he brought in.

singersp
01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Kingpin is just saying that the kids should make their own way as coaches and not have their daddies bring them in.

How many good coaches missed chances to be hired because these coaches bring in their kids? How many minority coaches will get a chance when white coaches pencil in their sons for positions? These are fair questions.

Norv refused to accept the job with the Browns unless they hired Scott too. They were a "package deal". I'm pretty sure it was the same deal with the Vikings. Scott wasn't hired because of his qualifications as QB coach, because he has none. He was hired because of daddy.

marshallvike
02-01-2014, 11:58 AM

I don't know if Buddy was a crass prick or not. I didn't know him.
Were you around during Buddy's years? Ditka wanted to get rid of him, but Halas wouldn't have it because he and the defensive players loved him. Buddy designed what was a great defense with the Bears. The 46 defense. The 85 super bowl defense was the best defense I have ever seen. I believe the super bowl they won was the only time both a head coach and the defensive coordinator were carried off the field.Many guys want to look up stats and proclaim other defenses better, but I watched them play. Every time they took the field, not only did I feel bad for the opposing offense but you felt there was a chance they would score. They terrorized offenses. Just dominated.
He did not win a Super bowl in Philly, but that team won a combined 23 games the 4 years prior to hiring him and he built them to a team that won 10 or more games for 5 straight years. He didn't do squat in Arizona as a head coach, but it is tough to wipe out all his prior successes because of that.

2beersTommy
02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
I agree with what you say about the 85 Bears.

Minniman
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Buddy designed what was a great defense with the Bears. The 46 defense. The 85 super bowl defense was the best defense I have ever seen. I believe the super bowl they won was the only time both a head coach and the defensive coordinator were carried off the field.Many guys want to look up stats and proclaim other defenses better, but I watched them play. Every time they took the field, not only did I feel bad for the opposing offense but you felt there was a chance they would score. They terrorized offenses. Just dominated.
I agree. The Vikings offense looked like a high school team against the 46. The blitz from the 46 just wrecked the Vikings blocking schemes.

mountainviking
02-02-2014, 11:16 AM
I agree. The Vikings offense looked like a high school team against the 46. The blitz from the 46 just wrecked the Vikings blocking schemes.

Hell, for that matter when was the last time the Vikings were good against anybody's blitzes!?!??? D'oh!

Minniman
02-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Hell, for that matter when was the last time the Vikings were good against anybody's blitzes!?!???
The Vikings send players out of the backfield when they should be staying in to block. That is because of poor play design, poor reads, poor line calls, or multiple factors from all of the above.

vikinggreg
02-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Norv refused to accept the job with the Browns unless they hired Scott too. They were a "package deal". I'm pretty sure it was the same deal with the Vikings. Scott wasn't hired because of his qualifications as QB coach, because he has none. He was hired because of daddy. Just wondering if you have found a link to go with your pretty good idea or even noticed the linebacker coach the Vikings have

singersp
02-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Just wondering if you have found a link to go with your pretty good idea or even noticed the linebacker coach the Vikings have

I found several of them.

Most everyone knew Scott was signed on to be QB's coach. See the title of this thread. If he's the LB coach now, then they changed it just recently. So recently in fact that the Vikings official website still lists Scott as QB coach & Zim's son as LB coach.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/TZ_zpsfbcd1611.png (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/singersp82759/media/TZ_zpsfbcd1611.png.html)

Minnesota Vikings | Coaches (http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches.html)

Scott Turner will be the quarterbacks coach in Minnesota, replacing Craig Johnson, who was hired by the New York Giants in January to be the running backs' coach.

Adam will follow his dad from Cincinnati and coach the team's linebackers.

Vikings' new staff includes Priefer, sons of Zimmer, Turner | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/north/story/vikings-new-staff-includes-priefer-sons-of-zimmer-turner-020614)

As far as the package deal idea goes;

These days, Turner is pretty much a "package deal" with his son, which is why Scott Turner is expected to be named the Vikings' new quarterbacks coach soon.

Ray Horton & Norv Turner Depart the Cleveland Browns - Dawgs By Nature (http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/1/18/5323280/ray-horton-norv-turner-depart-the-cleveland-browns)

Part of the reason that Norv Turner came to the Cleveland Browns this offseason to be their offensive coordinator was the fact that his son, Scott Turner, came as part of a package

Norv Turner Unhappy About Son's Position Changing? - Dawgs By Nature (http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/12/29/5254392/norv-turner-unhappy-about-sons-position-changing)

Scoot
02-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I hope I eat my words but this is a conflict of interest and it shouldn’t happen. Do you think if Scott doesn’t perform his dad will fire him? NO! And, it only compromises his job. Bad Move!
AGAIN, I hope I eat my words

tastywaves
02-24-2014, 02:20 PM
I hope I eat my words but this is a conflict of interest and it shouldn’t happen. Do you think if Scott doesn’t perform his dad will fire him? NO! And, it only compromises his job. Bad Move!

It all worked out for Tommy Boy.

There is the possibility that these coaches' sons can actually coach.

Minniman
02-25-2014, 08:54 AM
I hope I eat my words but this is a conflict of interest and it shouldn’t happen. Do you think if Scott doesn’t perform his dad will fire him? NO! And, it only compromises his job.
That is not going to happen unless the Vikings hire Anne Robinson as director of player personnel.

Let us just hope these nepotism hires are not ... the weakest link!

vikinggreg
02-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Norv didn't hire him so why would he fire him, my guess would be Zim would let Scott go or Mike and Rick would fire both Norv and Scott.

No what happens if Adam Zimmer falters he was hired by his dad :think:

marstc09
03-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Well to not assume the worst about Scott Turner I'll either guess Norv wants him to coach multiple offensive positions to improve his coaching or possibly Zimmer wants to keep George Stewart as our WR coach.

This and it will be Norvs offense anyways.

purpleblood32
03-15-2014, 08:24 AM
yes buddy rayn 46 defence was awesome..he said just bring more guys than they can block ...it was an attacking style defence ...buddy had the right players too ,they would kick you in the mouth and eat ur children fast athletic and mean as hell ...what the bears had that season comes once in a life time ...as far as being a crass jerk head coach he was terriable ..