PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner to become Vikes OC!

2beersTommy
01-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Norv Turner To Become Minnesota Vikings Offensive Coordinator - Daily Norseman (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/1/16/5314906/norv-turner-minnesota-vikings-offensive-coordinator)

LIVike
01-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Things just keep getting better.

VikingsFan1234
01-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Good hire and now we will have to pray that if Zimmer gets fired, Norv does not get hired to become the Vikings head coach

clark_griswold
01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Looking forward to a solid draft and adding a couple pieces via free agency and I'm back to being excited about VIkings football! This coaching staff should definitely be geared to bring excitement and hopefully some innovation!

tastywaves
01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Welcome to Minny Norv. Good hire.

vikinghawk
01-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Love this!

rockymtdan
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
I am feeling more optimistic then ever, We have something to look forward to.
This is a giant upgrade from last year.
Who get the credit Spilman or Wilf ??

slavinator
01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
I am so excited for Zimmer and Norv! I think that they will have a huge impact on our teams performance. Huge Upgrade! SKOL!

tastywaves
01-16-2014, 02:38 PM

If he works out, it was Zygi. If he doesn't, it was Slick Rick.

it's GOOD to be the KING.flv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJS51d1Fzg)

NodakPaul
01-16-2014, 02:44 PM

The people who like Spielman will say Spielman, the people who don't will say Wilf. ;) At least for now...

From what I have heard and read, Spielman was the primary player in the coach search. A couple of weeks ago Spielman basically put the blame on the Wilfs for hiring Frazier, stating very specifically that he was not the GM at the time. http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/3903/spielman-the-ownership-hired-leslie

Spielman was pretty vocal about NOT rushing through the coaching search like the last two hires that the ownership has made, and pretty vocal about the search belonging to him, and only needing to consult with the Wilfs.

"I know that I am the general manager and that the owners put their trust in me to lead this search for our next head coach," Spielman said. "So my responsibility is to go out there and do that and consult with them as we go along the way. All I'm worried about right now is putting the best team on the field. But the first and most important thing is getting this coaching staff filled out."

But then again, I am a Spielman fan, so I am sure others will disagree. ;)

purplehelmut
01-16-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm good with it. The guy has been around, like Zimmer.

VikesfaninWis
01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Spielman gets the credit for both interviewing and wanting to hire Zimmer, and Wilf's gets the credit for saying yes to hiring Zimmer. I still don't have all the faith in the world for Spielman, but he did good here. Just please let someone else pick the damn QB, Spielman has been gawd awful at doing that.

bleedpurple
01-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Spielman gets the credit for both interviewing and wanting to hire Zimmer, and Wilf's gets the credit for saying yes to hiring Zimmer. I still don't have all the faith in the world for Spielman, but he did good here. Just please let someone else pick the damn QB, Spielman has been gawd awful at doing that.

Amen to that!!.. Let Norv pick the QB... Given that... this is as excited and positive as I have ever been about our team and coaching staff... if we can get even a decent qb.. with the talent around him and the coaching staff.. namely NT... we should be in really good shape!

2beersTommy
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Amen to that!!.. Let Norv pick the QB... Given that... this is as excited and positive as I have ever been about our team and coaching staff... if we can get even a decent qb.. with the talent around him and the coaching staff.. namely NT... we should be in really good shape! I agree, and I share your excitement about our beloved Vikes!!

VikesfaninWis
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Amen to that!!.. Let Norv pick the QB... Given that... this is as excited and positive as I have ever been about our team and coaching staff... if we can get even a decent qb.. with the talent around him and the coaching staff.. namely NT... we should be in really good shape!

I agree. Le the coaches who do this everyday pick the players on the team.

rockymtdan
01-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Yep, If he is going let go of control (for his own good) let Norv pick the QB.
I do not care if they use the first round or second or third on the QB because I feel Zimmer will have this D operating at a high level sooner rather then later.

313zoe
01-16-2014, 06:57 PM
He have a good background and did good in Cleveland and would probably have Cassel looking good and at tha same time grooming a rookie QB, our offense is betta than Cleveland I would say, this is wat we needed for offense

jargomcfargo
01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
The people who like Spielman will say Spielman, the people who don't will say Wilf. ;) At least for now...

From what I have heard and read, Spielman was the primary player in the coach search. A couple of weeks ago Spielman basically put the blame on the Wilfs for hiring Frazier, stating very specifically that he was not the GM at the time. Spielman: 'The ownership hired Leslie' - Minnesota Vikings Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/3903/spielman-the-ownership-hired-leslie)

Spielman was pretty vocal about NOT rushing through the coaching search like the last two hires that the ownership has made, and pretty vocal about the search belonging to him, and only needing to consult with the Wilfs.

But then again, I am a Spielman fan, so I am sure others will disagree. ;)
I'm a fan of the current structure with the GM in charge of personnel and the head coach search. Spielman is the most important man in the organization with regard to the Vikings success. No amount of great coaching can overcome a lack of talented players. The theory Spielman and the Wilfs are working under is the talent will be on the roster if the coaching staff can get the most out of them. It's up to Spielman to put that talent on the roster. That remains to be seen.
I heard Robison, on the radio, say that Spielman met with players, to ask them what they were looking for, in a new coach. I thought that was a smart.

Mark_The_Viking
01-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Everything is going so well I can't shake the feeling that disaster is just around the corner.
I think Spielman will involve both Zimm and Turner in the search for a QB in case it goes wrong again. That way he can hold his hands up and say it was a joint effort I didn't screw up alone.

Good times and I might get to a game this year in September

NodakPaul
01-17-2014, 10:23 AM
I think Spielman will involve both Zimm and Turner in the search for a QB in case it goes wrong again.

I think he should do this regardless.

tastywaves
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
I think he should do this regardless.

Yes, and I think he did it last time as well. He has ultimate responsibility for the pick, but it's not done in a vacuum...unless we're talking about the Cowboys.

Norv, won't be given carte blance either, he will have influence (probably a lot of influence), but it will be an organizational decision.

tastywaves
01-17-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm a fan of the current structure with the GM in charge of personnel and the head coach search. Spielman is the most important man in the organization with regard to the Vikings success. No amount of great coaching can overcome a lack of talented players. The theory Spielman and the Wilfs are working under is the talent will be on the roster if the coaching staff can get the most out of them. It's up to Spielman to put that talent on the roster. That remains to be seen.
I heard Robison, on the radio, say that Spielman met with players, to ask them what they were looking for, in a new coach. I thought that was a smart.

Channeling a previous high volume poster whose name shall not be mentioned....

Zimmer and his staff will evaluate the current roster and identify areas he fills need to be addressed by priority. That list will be a starting point for Spielman to work under using available cap room to explore FA, draft, or trades. He will need to look not only at this upcoming year, but the next 3-4 years as well to make sure all the player contracts and personnel shifting is aligned with the vision of the current coaching staff and front office.

I know you are aware of this, but I think it gets oversimplified too often on the process of identifying the appropriate talent and why one player is maybe selected over another to the frustration of many fans.

rockymtdan
01-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Do you think Norv will have the option to bring in top notch free agent QB? There are a couple that might just become 1st string. And not one of them is in purple right now!
I would think his presence would make Minny a more appealing place to play then it was before.

C Mac D
01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm not as excited about Norv Turner as some... His last two years have been pretty miserable. The 2012 Chargers offense ranked 31st in the league... and the 2013 Browns offense ranked 16th in the league.

His offenses haven't done anything since 1993.

jargomcfargo
01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Channeling a previous high volume poster whose name shall not be mentioned....

Zimmer and his staff will evaluate the current roster and identify areas he fills need to be addressed by priority. That list will be a starting point for Spielman to work under using available cap room to explore FA, draft, or trades. He will need to look not only at this upcoming year, but the next 3-4 years as well to make sure all the player contracts and personnel shifting is aligned with the vision of the current coaching staff and front office.

I know you are aware of this, but I think it gets oversimplified too often on the process of identifying the appropriate talent and why one player is maybe selected over another to the frustration of many fans.
The guy you are channeling was infamous for saying "coaches coach, players play". He wanted everything to be black and white and rolled up in a neat little package; simplicity without shades of gray.
The GM has his basic philosophy on how to build a team and how to go about doing so; eg. resist spending large amounts of cap space capital on older free agents who tend to be a bit higher injury risk than younger players, and trying to gain extra picks to have the flexibility to move about the board on draft days.
The owners have bought in to Rick's philosophy on team building, and I can only assume that would be an important topic of conversation with Zimmer when he interviewed.
When Ponder had no off season due to the lockout, Frazier persuaded Spielman to sign McNabb.
Spielman also asked his players what they were looking for in a new head coach after Frazier was fired.
So Spielman does listen and take input from the players and staff which indicates that the GM, coaching staff, and players are working together for a common goal.
I like that structure and think it will be a success, providing they get the right personnel on the roster.
The burden of finding the right players will be shared but is ultimately the GM's responsibility.
The Vikings wont be a championship team without finding a good QB and hitting on some mid to late round draft picks.
I'm warming up a bit on Spielman, I think he is on the right track, but realize he still has a lot to prove.
Apologies for the long post.

Mr Anderson
01-17-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not as excited about Norv Turner as some... His last two years have been pretty miserable. The 2012 Chargers offense ranked 31st in the league... and the 2013 Browns offense ranked 16th in the league.

His offenses haven't done anything since 1993.
By what measure? I'm having a hard time finding numbers which match those rankings.
2012 San Diego Chargers Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2012.htm)

2013 Cleveland Browns Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2013.htm)

tarkenton10
01-17-2014, 01:16 PM
If nothing else I think Turner can provide a working knowledge of fundamentals to the QB position. He can also provide a knowledge of the systems philosophy and progressions that could make a newly drafted QB successful in Minn. We haven't had that since Touchdown Tommy.

C Mac D
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
By what measure? I'm having a hard time finding numbers which match those rankings.
2012 San Diego Chargers Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2012.htm)

2013 Cleveland Browns Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2013.htm)

Here you go, ranked based on total yardage:

2013 Offense Ranks: 2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/seasontype/2)

2012 Offense Ranks: 2012 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2012/seasontype/2)

Not to mention that the ProFootball Focus rankings you provided have those rankings as 20th (2012 Chargers) and 27th (2013 browns)... in other words, abysmal no matter which rankings you use.

Bottom line, the guy hasn't done anything notable since having Troy Aikmen and Emmitt Smith at the helm.

RK.
01-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Rankings are not that meaningful. What counts is how well did you do considering what you had to work with. You can drop in the rankings due to injuries to players, or just lack of talent at key positions. Personally I am more interested in his play calling ability and his ability to design more into the offense than run run pass. Or as it has been this year, AP, AP, pass short of first down marker. Also I think Norv Turner has the ability to make adjustments during the game, something we have not had.

C Mac D
01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Rankings are not that meaningful. What counts is how well did you do considering what you had to work with. You can drop in the rankings due to injuries to players, or just lack of talent at key positions. Personally I am more interested in his play calling ability and his ability to design more into the offense than run run pass. Or as it has been this year, AP, AP, pass short of first down marker. Also I think Norv Turner has the ability to make adjustments during the game, something we have not had.

What leads you to think that? His one AFC Championship appearance in 20 years? How many comeback victories does he have to support that claim? Honest question, I have no clue how many he has...

Childress got to an NFC Championship, he must be great at making adjustments during the game too...

AngloVike
01-17-2014, 03:28 PM
What leads you to think that? His one AFC Championship appearance in 20 years? How many comeback victories does he have to support that claim? Honest question, I have no clue how many he has...

Childress got to an NFC Championship, he must be great at making adjustments during the game too...

his adjustment was to shut his yap and let someone run the show who knew what they were doing

Minniman
01-17-2014, 04:11 PM

20th and 27th is almost as bad.

Norv Turner was once good, but what has he done lately? Times change, and after having offenses and defenses stuck in 1994, I was hoping for some new blood.

tastywaves
01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Here you go, ranked based on total yardage:

2013 Offense Ranks: 2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/seasontype/2)

2012 Offense Ranks: 2012 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2012/seasontype/2)

Not to mention that the ProFootball Focus rankings you provided have those rankings as 20th (2012 Chargers) and 27th (2013 browns)... in other words, abysmal no matter which rankings you use.

Bottom line, the guy hasn't done anything notable since having Troy Aikmen and Emmitt Smith at the helm.

From 2007 through 2011, San Diego was a top 5 offense. A little more recent than the Dallas years.

Minniman
01-17-2014, 04:48 PM
By the way, Norv Turner likes the power running game in a Coryell type offense. It worked in Dallas, where he had the right players, and in San Diego until he burned out his running backs. It failed otherwise, as he tried to fit square pegs into round holes.

I would have rather had a modern coach with real Bill Walsh style West Coast elements. We will see if Norv brings in his old playbooks with a purple cover. If so, it will make scouting the Vikings so much easier.

Minniman
01-17-2014, 04:56 PM
This is an interesting read:

The-Norv-Turner-effect (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-Norv-Turner-effect.html)

RK.
01-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Some of you guys seem to think that all he knows is what he did in Dallas. He has been a coach for 29 yrs. I suspect he has learned a lot along the way and is probably smarter now than he was in Dallas. I think he has probably studied every offensive scheme that is run in the NFL. I think he is a great addition to the team.

iowa
01-18-2014, 06:57 PM
well they just made it official, norv is the o.c. i'm excited, they have made major upgrades to our coaching staff, can't wait to see what happens in free agency and the draft !

Purple Floyd
01-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I just hope he does a good job of finding position coaches that can develop these guys on offense. One positive about hiring a guy who is as well traveled as Norv is that he has seen a lot of up and coming coaches in his time and hopefully he can give some good candidates to Zimmer to interview and bring in.

We really need a top notch OL coach. I think we had a darn good WR coach so I an not sure we can upgrade that one. Just getting a staff that can get the players on the same page and playing at a high level will do wonders for the offense.

VikesfaninWis
01-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Nice. It was also reported that Edwards has become the DC. I'm not as sold on that move as I am on the Norv Turner signing. It's nice though that we have a defensive wizard as HC who will more than likely call the plays on defense. If Edwards slips up, Zimmer will get rid of his ass and get someone in here that will do their job the way it should be done. That's what I like about our new HC.

i_bleed_purple
01-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Nice. It was also reported that Edwards has become the DC. I'm not as sold on that move as I am on the Norv Turner signing. It's nice though that we have a defensive wizard as HC who will more than likely call the plays on defense. If Edwards slips up, Zimmer will get rid of his ass and get someone in here that will do their job the way it should be done. That's what I like about our new HC.

My boss is a hug 'Phins fan, so I asked him what he thought. He said that the LBs were actually quite good for the Dolphins last year. He thinks the LB coach must be doing a good job. Tough to say how he'll translate to a coordinator job, but since he's not playcalling, he can't be that bad.

VikesfaninWis
01-18-2014, 10:59 PM
My boss is a hug 'Phins fan, so I asked him what he thought. He said that the LBs were actually quite good for the Dolphins last year. He thinks the LB coach must be doing a good job. Tough to say how he'll translate to a coordinator job, but since he's not playcalling, he can't be that bad.

Let's hope anyways..