PDA

View Full Version : So guys, do you still want Zimmer?

VikingsFan1234
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
NFL_DraftGuru: Told that current Vikings OC Bill Musgrave will be considered to remain OC if Zimmer is hired. Both have worked together previously

rockymtdan
01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Not the breath of fresh air this team needs.

Purple_Jesus
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Musgrave was not the problem. If you didn't know, we had a top 10 offense this year WITH CHRISTIAN FUCKING PONDER. I think we could use an upgrade over Musgrave, but he was definitely not the problem.

VikingsFan1234
01-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Musgrave was not the problem. If you didn't know, we had a top 10 offense this year WITH CHRISTIAN FUCKING PONDER. I think we could use an upgrade over Musgrave, but he was definitely not the problem.

Musgrave is the problem, let's see why...

Refusing to use Patterson in the first half of the season and his stupid playcalling

Purple_Jesus
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM

Refusing to use Patterson in the first half of the season and his stupid playcalling

I won't say Musgrave didn't make mistakes. He could have done a lot better... like putting in Cassel week 1, using Patterson more, etc. Patterson was very raw though. Even the players said they didn't care for him at first.. but Patterson has become a team favorite. He needed to be eased into the system. I think we'd do better replacing Musgrave, but I don't think it's a needed change.

VikingsFan1234
01-13-2014, 02:21 PM
I won't say Musgrave didn't make mistakes. He could have done a lot better... like putting in Cassel week 1, using Patterson more, etc. Patterson was very raw though. Even the players said they didn't care for him at first.. but Patterson has become a team favorite. He needed to be eased into the system. I think we'd do better replacing Musgrave, but I don't think it's a needed change.

Would you say the same for Alan Williams?

purplehelmut
01-13-2014, 02:25 PM
That is not the house cleaning this franchise needs. OC and DC need to go as well.

Purple_Jesus
01-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Would you say the same for Alan Williams?

No. Alan Williams needs to go.

AngloVike
01-13-2014, 02:39 PM
NFL_DraftGuru: Told that current Vikings OC Bill Musgrave will be considered to remain OC if Zimmer is hired. Both have worked together previously

and I'm considering liposuction and ravaging the woman three houses from mine - doesn't mean it's going to happen. If Zimmer takes over as HC then he should, if he does his job properly, at least look at the present staff.

tastywaves
01-13-2014, 02:41 PM
That is not the house cleaning this franchise needs. OC and DC need to go as well.

I would be surprised if whoever we hire for HC doesn't bring in new coordinators. The Musgrave being considered statement, is probably right there with Spielman considering high school coaches in his global search of a new HC.

I will say though in agreement with purple jesus, between Frazier, Williams and Musgrave. Bill was the best of the three (queue the turd analogies) and actually was able to get a lot of production out of a team that was in constant turmoil with rotating QB's, 70% of the typical AP production and the injuries to the top two TE's. It still was a pretty weak offense IMO, but it wasn't near as bad as our play on the other side of the ball.

2beersTommy
01-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Musgrave was not the problem. If you didn't know, we had a top 10 offense this year WITH CHRISTIAN FUCKING PONDER. I think we could use an upgrade over Musgrave, but he was definitely not the problem. said the person with the Christian Ponder Sig..:p

2beersTommy
01-13-2014, 02:46 PM
nfl_draftguru: Told that current vikings oc bill musgrave will be considered to remain oc if zimmer is hired. Both have worked together previously

fml!!

2beersTommy
01-13-2014, 02:47 PM
and I'm considering liposuction and ravaging the three women houses from mine - doesn't mean it's going to happen. If Zimmer takes over as HC then he should, if he does his job properly, at least look at the present staff. fixed it for you Peter Lol

Purple_Jesus
01-13-2014, 02:57 PM
said the person with the Christian Ponder Sig..:p

Yeah I know. I put this up like 2 years ago. PPO won't let me remove it D:

jmcdon00
01-13-2014, 03:29 PM

By all account Patterson was extremely raw coming out of college. Plus he was used immediately on special teams, with great success.

It's easy to say we should have used him more, but we don't know how he would have responded, it could have delayed his development, or gotten him injured.

As far as play calling I think the results speak for themselves. The Vikings offense has scored more points every year since Musgrave got here. No team scored more points that didn't have a good QB on the roster.

VikesfaninWis
01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Zimmer has also been "linked" to Mike Mularkey and Scott Linehan in recent days. This doesn't mean anything until Zimmer is hired and he announces that Musgrave is staying. So to answer this threads question, yes I still want Zimmer because he is a fiery coach who gets the most out of his players, and that is exactly what this team needs.

jmcdon00
01-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Vikings offense by year. 2011 was Musgraves first year here(nfl rank).
2010- 314.9yds per game(23); 17.6pts per game(29th)
2011 - 329.7yds per game(18); 21.2pts per game(19th)
2012 - 336.6 yds per game(20); 23.7 pts per game(14th)
2013 - 344.2 yds per game(13); 24.4 pts per game(14th)

Most of the players on offense are returning in 2014, let them continue to improve, and have some continuity. The plan is working, I really think we are only a good QB away from having a very good offense. A new coordinator means a new scheme and play book, erasing all the progress we have made on that side of the ball.

Let Zimmer focus all his attention to turning the defense around. He can pick his own coordinator and position coaches, and use most of our draft and free agency resources on that side of the ball. He doesn't need to touch the offense at all.

VikesfaninWis
01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Vikings offense by year. 2011 was Musgraves first year here(nfl rank).
2010- 314.9yds per game(23); 17.6pts per game(29th)
2011 - 329.7yds per game(18); 21.2pts per game(19th)
2012 - 336.6 yds per game(20); 23.7 pts per game(14th)
2013 - 344.2 yds per game(13); 24.4 pts per game(14th)

Most of the players on offense are returning in 2014, let them continue to improve, and have some continuity. The plan is working, I really think we are only a good QB away from having a very good offense. A new coordinator means a new scheme and play book, erasing all the progress we have made on that side of the ball.

Let Zimmer focus all his attention to turning the defense around. He can pick his own coordinator and position coaches, and use most of our draft and free agency resources on that side of the ball. He doesn't need to touch the offense at all.

Good points.. If we get that QB that we need, this offense could be very good.. I agree, let Zimmer work on getting this defense fixed, that is his specialty.

jargomcfargo
01-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Can you provide a link ? Not top 10 at ESPN or NFL.com. I did see 15th ranked total offense, which was just above the league average.

VikesfaninWis
01-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Can you provide a link ? Not top 10 at ESPN or NFL.com. I did see 15th ranked total offense, which was just above the league average.

15th is about right. I watched every game, and I can't even see how we were ranked that high.

VikesfaninWis
01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
NFL Trade Rumors - Vikings Head Coach Rumors NFL Trade Rumors - | (http://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-head-coach-rumors/)

I still think Zimmer is the next HC..

kevoncox
01-13-2014, 07:35 PM
15th is about right. I watched every game, and I can't even see how we were ranked that high.

Late in the season we were ranked 10th. Last two games might have dropped us. I specifically remember 10th. Might be in scoring?

VikesfaninWis
01-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Late in the season we were ranked 10th. Last two games might have dropped us. I specifically remember 10th. Might be in scoring?

Not sure, all I know is this team was brutal to watch all year. For the first time since I can remember, I was happy when their season was over. That's how frustrated I am with this team now.

PackSux!
01-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Our offense sucked and so did our defense this season. So how can anyone justify keeping any of the staff.

Most people blame the last second losses on the defense and the truth is that we had every chance in the world to close out them games by RUNNING OUT THE CLOCK! But no, Muskrat had to try and be sneaky and pass the ball. Which in turn gave the enemy free time outs and allowed them asshats to fabricate game winning drives. 3 and outs will kill you and Muskrat is the shit when it comes to 3 and outs.

I cannot believe I just said "the shit".

mountainviking
01-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Our offense sucked and so did our defense this season. So how can anyone justify keeping any of the staff.

Most people blame the last second losses on the defense and the truth is that we had every chance in the world to close out them games by RUNNING OUT THE CLOCK! But no, Muskrat had to try and be sneaky and pass the ball. Which in turn gave the enemy free time outs and allowed them asshats to fabricate game winning drives. 3 and outs will kill you and Muskrat is the shit when it comes to 3 and outs.

I cannot believe I just said "the shit".

I agree. Would rather not have any ties to the former regime. We need to wipe all the Childress out of the building. Sure, coming in 14th in points and yards isn't terrible, specially given our QB triangle of futility, but we do also have one of the best RBs of all time who tends to succeed without much support.

To put that in perspective, they were 8th in rushing yards/game and no.1 in rushing TDs with 23...but only 23rd in passing yards/game and 27th in passing TDs at only 18! Only 5 more than the bottom of the NFL, and a whopping 37 less passing TDs than Peyton Manning's record breaking year.

Yeah, a better QB will fix some of that, but he's most likely going to be a rookie, I'm not so sure Musgrave is the man to train that guy...?

jmcdon00
01-14-2014, 09:40 AM
I agree. Would rather not have any ties to the former regime. We need to wipe all the Childress out of the building. Sure, coming in 14th in points and yards isn't terrible, specially given our QB triangle of futility, but we do also have one of the best RBs of all time who tends to succeed without much support.

To put that in perspective, they were 8th in rushing yards/game and no.1 in rushing TDs with 23...but only 23rd in passing yards/game and 27th in passing TDs at only 18! Only 5 more than the bottom of the NFL, and a whopping 37 less passing TDs than Peyton Manning's record breaking year.

Yeah, a better QB will fix some of that, but he's most likely going to be a rookie, I'm not so sure Musgrave is the man to train that guy...?
We had the best running back in the NFL in 2010, and finished 29th in points. We have scored more points and more yards every year since.

If there is a great coordinator available, fine, but change for the sake of change doesn't help anyone.

We could easily have one of the bottom 10 offenses next year if we switch coordinators and don't get solid QB play.

jargomcfargo
01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
No link. I didn't think so. At least mcdon threw up some stats in support of keeping Musgrave. He has a point but one could use the same stats to support bringing back Ponder as next years starter; after all, the offense is making progress, right ?
I agree, the offense has the tools to be very good with the addition of a good QB. But I also believe a better offensive coordinator is a crucial need.
Musgrave lacks creativity and has failed to recognize the very thing he promised when he was hired. He promised to use the strengths of his players to create mismatches that would favor his offense. He did use Harvin in that way at times, but there were far to many times when he relied on his favorite play calling sequence, run, run, pass (usually short of the first down marker), and punt.
I recall a game with 12 offensive series. One was a kneel down before half time. In the eleven remaining series, run, run , pass sequence, was called in 5 of them.
All the blame can be placed on Ponder, but I don't buy it. If for no other reason than his failure to develop Ponder, Musgrave needs to go fail elsewhere.
Time for a fresh start for the Vikings.