PDA

View Full Version : How can they fixing NFLs worst secondary

singersp
01-06-2014, 11:00 AM
How can the Vikings fix NFLs worst secondary

Krammer: How can the Vikings fix NFL's worst secondary in 2014? | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Krammer_How_can_the_Vikings_fix_NFLs_worst_secondary_in_2014_010314)

VikingsFan1234
01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
They can start by releasing Chris Cook and Josh Robinson

What is really sad is that the Vikings have not had a good secondary since Tony Dungy was the defensive coordinator

PInfante97
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Smith and Rhodes are very good start... but need more then 2 guys and yes our secondary has always been an issue... kinda tired of it

the sick thing is that if we improve our secondary what we going to do to maintain out pass rush? Think about how bad our defense was this year then keep in mind we need to replace Jared Allen and Kevin Williams.... Its like the worst get worse... It would be foolish not to bring back Kevin Williams and have him play NT... Really how you going to makte the leagues worst D better when you are starting off by losing 2 border line hall of fame players? It isnt like these guys weren't producing...

VikingsFan1234
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Smith and Rhodes are very good start... but need more then 2 guys and yes our secondary has always been an issue... kinda tired of it

the sick thing is that if we improve our secondary what we going to do to maintain out pass rush? Think about how bad our defense was this year then keep in mind we need to replace Jared Allen and Kevin Williams.... Its like the worst get worse... It would be foolish not to bring back Kevin Williams and have him play NT... Really how you going to makte the leagues worst D better when you are starting off by losing 2 border line hall of fame players? It isnt like these guys weren't producing...

I have been tired for it for many years, I miss a good secondary

PInfante97
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Im 35, been following the Vikings since the mid/late 80's rarely in my time have i saw the Vikings with anything but a terrible secondary... enough is enough and its time for a change

313zoe
01-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Draft any of these CB's Justin Gilbert, Darqueze Dennard, Ekpre-Olomu, or Marcus Roberson and let Cook walk and use that money to sign Alterraun Verner, Aqib Talib, Sam Shields, Brent Grimes, or Vontae Davis any of these CB's. Would be nice to have

kevoncox
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I say sign Kerry Rhodes. No reason guy is unemployed except that he is gay.
Take a look at Tillman. Hurt the Bears by taking their best corner. Play Robinson but for god sakes do not play him in the slot. He looked great on the outside.

A Defensive backfield of Smith - Rhodes - Rhodes and Tillman looks pretty good.

Suick
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
I liked what I saw in Shaun Prater at the end of the season. Then again, anything is an upgrade from Cook(ed).

MaxVike
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I liked what I saw in Shaun Prater at the end of the season. Then again, anything is an upgrade from Cook(ed).

For sure…and, the Cook(ed) is PERFECT!

VikesfaninWis
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Getting rid of Cook and Robinson is a good start. Luckily Cook is a free agent and if the Vikings aren't completely stupid, he is already gone.

How about Sam Shields of the Packers? He is a free agent and GB has a lot of free agents to worry about. Shields is a good DB that could fit in nicely here. I think the Vikings need to get a nice mixture of youth and veteran. You can't be a very good defense when you have all younger guys in your secondary. They need to focus on getting a franchise QB in rd 1 of the draft, then they can go defense and OL the rest of the way..

PInfante97
01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
How about Captain Munnerlyn from Carolina he is a free agent and a damn good QB.... And man, would Paul Allen have fun with that name...

bleedpurple
01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Robinson will be fine... his problem was learning on the fly playing the slot. which is the hardest spot in the secondary.... I think we have some young talent in the secondary, but we need a better safety and a slot corner to make it better.

marshallvike
01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Getting rid of Williams is the first step in fixing our entire defense. We are automatically better when he is gone.

2beersTommy
01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
How about Captain Munnerlyn from Carolina he is a free agent and a damn good QB.... And man, would Paul Allen have fun with that name... Is he related to Captain Cunnilingus? haha

I agree that Robinson is worth keeping, just not for the slot. I also agree that The D will instantly get better once Williams AND Cook leave.

PInfante97
01-07-2014, 06:33 PM
are you guys really shitting on kevin williams? do you watch the games?

VikingsFan1234
01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Getting rid of Cook and Robinson is a good start. Luckily Cook is a free agent and if the Vikings aren't completely stupid, he is already gone.

How about Sam Shields of the Packers? He is a free agent and GB has a lot of free agents to worry about. Shields is a good DB that could fit in nicely here. I think the Vikings need to get a nice mixture of youth and veteran. You can't be a very good defense when you have all younger guys in your secondary. They need to focus on getting a franchise QB in rd 1 of the draft, then they can go defense and OL the rest of the way..

No more bringing in former Packer players, I had enough...

tastywaves
01-07-2014, 07:42 PM
are you guys really shitting on kevin williams? do you watch the games?

Alan Williams

PInfante97
01-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Alan Williams

oh... ha, yeah 100% agree

drakkar
01-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Would love to see them go Corner in the first instead of reaching for a 2nd tier QB..

PInfante97
01-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Would love to see them go Corner in the first instead of reaching for a 2nd tier QB..

dont think there is a corner that will or should go in the top 10.. .so that would be a reach too...

about 5 pretty good corners are free agents, thinking signing one of them might be a better move

8 is a wierd pick for us the value there might end up being a Anthony Barr, who is a much better fit in a 3-4, or a WR like Sammy Watkins which dont really fit us right now... So should be interesting.. maybe trade back

drakkar
01-08-2014, 11:42 AM
dont think there is a corner that will or should go in the top 10.. .so that would be a reach too...

about 5 pretty good corners are free agents, thinking signing one of them might be a better move

8 is a wierd pick for us the value there might end up being a Anthony Barr, who is a much better fit in a 3-4, or a WR like Sammy Watkins which dont really fit us right now... So should be interesting.. maybe trade back

8th pick is the crap pick this year, I think if Dennard test well he will be a top 10 pick.. I agree that trading back would make the most sense

PInfante97
01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
good thing we won those extra couple of games and tied vs green bay down the stretch when the season was lost anyway... NOT!!!

there are good CB's to sign that are proven and we got the money. We picked a winner in Rhodes, lets just sign one rather then take a chance... then that position is solid... hell if you wanna reach a little sign a CB and draft Ha Ha Clinton Dix now we got a very good secondary

jargomcfargo
01-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Robinson will be fine... his problem was learning on the fly playing the slot. which is the hardest spot in the secondary.... I think we have some young talent in the secondary, but we need a better safety and a slot corner to make it better.
Robinson played poorly the year before also. He has speed but rarely contests a pass because he is frequently out of position.
I hope he comes around but I don't think it's going to happen.

bleedpurple
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Robinson played poorly the year before also. He has speed but rarely contests a pass because he is frequently out of position.
I hope he comes around but I don't think it's going to happen.

I guess we'll see. He was a rookie last year but played better later in the year... then they changed his position... so there is def. a learning curve.. hopefully a new coach can get the best out of him.

jargomcfargo
01-08-2014, 05:20 PM
I guess we'll see. He was a rookie last year but played better later in the year... then they changed his position... so there is def. a learning curve.. hopefully a new coach can get the best out of him.
Your right, he did play better toward the end of the year, so I guess there is hope. He does have excellent speed, so maybe a new coach will be what he needs.

PInfante97
01-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Your right, he did play better toward the end of the year, so I guess there is hope. He does have excellent speed, so maybe a new coach will be what he needs.

even still do you want robinson to be anymore then your back up outside guy? still need a CB2 and a nickle corner

PInfante97
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
oh and a safety, DE, DT, LB, new defensive coordinator.... and a head coach

marshallvike
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Alan Williams

yes. our dc. guess I should have been more specific

Purple Floyd
01-09-2014, 07:03 PM
It seems to me the single most important thing to do is fix the coaching staff and the scouting department. We have without a doubt picked enough talent over the past decade at spots in the draft that should have given us a solid secondary. I think a combination of not picking the proper guy at the spot we draft and then not putting the talent in the right position to win.

If we don't fix that part of the equation then it doesn't matter who we draft or sign in FA.

VikesfaninWis
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm not sold on Robinson at all... So he has speed, who cares? Troy Williamson had speed as well, how did that go? You have to get better players in order to be better as a whole. Chris Cook is a prime example, he has the size and speed, he just doesn't have the ability.

I think they need to sign a younger free agent CB and try to get their QB of the future in the draft. If they move up a few spots in the draft, they still can still get a guy like Manziel or Bortles. Need to get the QB situation fixed, and quick..

313zoe
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Hire Zimmer and draft Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA, or another defensive player and draft a QB in tha second round we need a LB bad and we can spend in free agency

PInfante97
01-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Hire Zimmer and draft Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA, or another defensive player and draft a QB in tha second round we need a LB bad and we can spend in free agency

we can spend... but will we?

2beersTommy
01-10-2014, 08:30 AM
doubtful, past history shows we wait until the over priced FAs sign elsewhere, then we choose from the "left overs"..who usually are not worth squat.

PInfante97
01-10-2014, 08:58 AM
yeah we need a corner bad tho, with allen and k will off the books, we should just get someone proven to pair with rhodes... enough already with trying to dip into the draft... i.e. asher allen, josh robinson, chris cook ect

VikesfaninWis
01-10-2014, 12:30 PM
doubtful, past history shows we wait until the over priced FAs sign elsewhere, then we choose from the "left overs"..who usually are not worth squat.

Agreed.. Sick of this shit. This team for whatever reason just doesn't get it.

2beersTommy
01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Agreed.. Sick of this shit. This team for whatever reason just doesn't get it.

that makes 2 of us that are sick of it. frustrating as hell.

Minniman
01-10-2014, 02:10 PM
I think they need to sign a younger free agent CB and try to get their QB of the future in the draft. If they move up a few spots in the draft, they still can still get a guy like Manziel or Bortles. Need to get the QB situation fixed, and quick..
Quarterbacks do not usually get fixed quickly. Even Peyton Manning had a rough first season. Brees was already a veteran when the Saints got him. Rodgers and Brady got to sit - playing behind some pretty good quarterbacks.

Having high expectations in the first two seasons of a starting quarterback is a low percentage call. It is similar at cornerback; they do not show all they can be until they are seasoned in the NFL.

VikesfaninWis
01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Quarterbacks do not usually get fixed quickly. Even Peyton Manning had a rough first season. Brees was already a veteran when the Saints got him. Rodgers and Brady got to sit - playing behind some pretty good quarterbacks.

Having high expectations in the first two seasons of a starting quarterback is a low percentage call. It is similar at cornerback; they do not show all they can be until they are seasoned in the NFL.

Or they can go the route of Luck and Wilson and contend right away. Either way, they need to address it now. They have fucked it up since Culpepper got traded.

Minniman
01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Or they can go the route of Luck and Wilson and contend right away. Either way, they need to address it now. They have fucked it up since Culpepper got traded.
Luck is flashy, but his numbers are not.

The Vikings should have drafted Rodgers when Culpepper was here. NFL teams that miss drafting high rated quarterbacks because they already have a starter are short sighted. I said so then; I say so now.

The Vikings coaches had to know that Culpepper went through progressions slowly and was bailed by Randy Moss. Blitzing a Mossless Vikings showed Culpepper's weaknesses.

Minniman
01-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Fix the secondary with good coaching and good players. Playing five to seven yards off will not get it done. Playing soft zones will not get it done. Using the same old rush schemes will not get it done. Cast-offs and late round picks will not get it done.

Pressure protects the secondary; coverage protects the linemen. Cover, pressure, play the ball, and tackle.