PDA

View Full Version : The Offical "Vikings Should Draft ****" thread

kevoncox
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to create a thread dealing with the next Vikings QB.
Plenty of names out there. This draft is really a hit or miss draft. There are going to be plenty of booms and bust guys in the next draft.

Names that are jumping out to me and should be there during our picks be

1st - Johnny Manziel
2nd - Jimmy Garoppolo

Both of these guys are hit or miss but they both possess elite level skill.
Maanziel's is his speed and agility paired with his knack for the big play in back games.

Garoppolo - a Qb with an ELITE release. Scouts believe once drafted it will be in the top 3 easily, possible the best.
Didn't play against top talent. However, out played Carr vs. similar opponents.

Ranger
01-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Plenty of names out there. This draft is really a hit or miss draft. There are going to be plenty of booms and bust guys in the next draft.

1st - Johnny Manziel
2nd - Jimmy Garoppolo

Maanziel's is his speed and agility paired with his knack for the big play in back games.

Garoppolo - a Qb with an ELITE release. Scouts believe once drafted it will be in the top 3 easily, possible the best.

Garoppolo has the fastest release I've seen short of Romo.

kevoncox
01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Garoppolo has the fastest release I've seen short of Romo.

Yeah, the guy looks to take a similar path to Flacco.
I can't lie at first I was against Manziel but the guy is a baller.

Ted Dibiase
01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
...the best DT, CB, or LB available. Unless they REALLY think the right QB is still on the board, which probably won't happen.

bleedpurple
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
...the best DT, CB, or LB available. Unless they REALLY think the right QB is still on the board, which probably won't happen.

i agree but we need a QB baaaad!!!... The main reason I wanted us to tank.. now that we didn't we're more than likely a day late and a dollar short AGAIN...

jargomcfargo
01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
There are 8 teams remaining in the playoffs. Of those teams, there are 4 QB's who were drafted in the first round, three of them were the number one pick in the draft, and Rivers was the 4th overall pick.
Brees was the first pick of the second round.
Keapernick was also second round, Wilson third round, and Brady sixth round.
If the right QB is there in a particular draft it would appear your chances are much better if you have the first overall pick.
Finding a Brady, Kaepernick, or Wilson is like hitting the lottery; long odds.

VikesfaninWis
01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I like Bridgewater, but he will be long gone by the time we pick. If we can't get Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles, then we should pass and look into free agency or trade for a QB. I would take any of those 3 though at #8 if they are there.

kevoncox
01-14-2014, 11:27 PM
2014's Quarterback Conundrum - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum)

Great article

VikesfaninWis
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM
This is interesting.. Check it out.

NFL Trade Rumors - Report: "Several Teams" Don't View Teddy Bridgwater As A First Round Pick NFL Trade Rumors - | (http://nfltraderumors.co/report-several-teams-dont-view-teddy-bridgwater-first-round-pick/)

2beersTommy
01-15-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't think Manziel is going to be there @ 8..I hear the Browns have some "major wood" for him.

VikesfaninWis
01-15-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't think Manziel is going to be there @ 8..I hear the Browns have some "major wood" for him.

I really think with the defensive players available in free agency (Bengals players specifically) that the Vikes can afford to trade up for Manziel. They are making a statement thus far, and getting a very exciting and impact QB like Manziel will get fans excited again. Time to make a statement.

i_bleed_purple
01-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Hope so. If we want to move forward, we need a passer. A guy like McCarron would be great. If we want to be in NFL Purgatory again, neither improving, nor declining, Manziel is the way to go. Manziel at best is a 3 year project. His playing style needs a complete overhaul, similar to Tebow. Get over the hype and realize that while he was a great College QB, his playing style will struggle mightily vs NFL talent.

Keep in mind, the very best DBs he played against are some of the worst in the NFL. He won't get away with alot of the things he did in College.

2beersTommy
01-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Hope so. If we want to move forward, we need a passer. A guy like McCarron would be great. If we want to be in NFL Purgatory again, neither improving, nor declining, Manziel is the way to go. Manziel at best is a 3 year project. His playing style needs a complete overhaul, similar to Tebow. Get over the hype and realize that while he was a great College QB, his playing style will struggle mightily vs NFL talent.

Keep in mind, the very best DBs he played against are some of the worst in the NFL. He won't get away with alot of the things he did in College.

I agree, JF wont be able to get away with a lot of stuff in the pros like he did college..he is gonna be BOOM or BUST. I am not sold on McCarron either...but I will support whoever we get..until Ive had enough haha.

VikesFan787
01-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Good Lawd I'm excited for next year!

drakkar
01-16-2014, 05:24 AM
just hope they don't panic if all the QBs start flying off the board and pull another Ponder.. Mettenberger, Murray, Guyton or Fales will be around in the later rounds.

Minniman
01-18-2014, 01:02 AM
It is too bad Jameis Winston cannot declare for the draft and Bryce Petty did not declare.

First and second round ... Best Player Available. Get value, or move on the board.

Ted Dibiase
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
If Barr from UCLA is there I would be psyched.

iowa
01-18-2014, 12:09 PM
we need a qb, everything else is secondary. i'd be fine with any of the top 4 prospects. there's no sure thing with these guys, it's a crap shoot, but you have to do it. i get so tired of the term "reach" they're all "reaches" when they don't pan out, they're "gems" when they do.

gamecocksbaseball31
01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
This is how I feel today... Will probably be totally different tomorrow.

#1. Understand we'll be making the switch to the 3-4.
#2. Understand we will be needing a QB... To develop for at least a year. Maybe he challenges Cassel, but let it be a true competition between those two guys and may the best man take it. I am comfortable entering the season with Cassel.

Draft-
Trade back. Yes I'm serious. Get back to somewhere around 13-17. Grab either: Louis Nix III to play NT in the 3-4, CJ Mosley at ILB, or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to pair with Harrison Smith. With the trade, we hopefully can pick up another 2nd.

Now our D looks something like

DE Shariff Floyd. NT Louis Nix III. DE Brian Robison (yes I think he can handle this.... Better than moving him to olb.

OLB Everson Griffin. ILB Audie Cole. ILB Free agent/ 2nd Rd pick/Erin Henderson? OLB chad Greenway

Cb Xavier Rhodes. FS Harrison Smith. SS lots of nice FA here or 2nd Rd pick CB #1 FA target. Vontae Davis

One of the two seconds we would now have has to be QB though.

Now use our two seconds and later picks to build... We do need to bolster the OL, but here are some guys I would like to see us go after...
Tajh Boyd QB (2nd)
Kyle Van Noy OLB (2nd)
Calvin Pryor S (2nd)
Lamarcus Joyner S (2nd)
Paul Richardson WR (2nd)
Zach Mettenberger QB (3rd)
Bradley Roby CB (3rd)
AJ McCarron QB (3rd)

With all of this being said, if Johnny Football is there at 8. Scrap this idea and lets roll with him! We need some fire and competitive spirit to pair with Zimmer's.

Purple Floyd
01-18-2014, 07:19 PM
No way JF makes it to 8 unless something in combine or workouts exposes a fatal flaw of if he gets arrested for beating up a hooker. If we wanted to draft a QB at the top of the draft we should have fired the staff midway through the season and let Wilf coach the team to make sure we lost out.

I would be ine with trading back if we got a good offer to do so. I am hoping that by drafting 2 LB's last year plus greenway and Cole that we have enough talent there to not use a first unless a franchise type guy like a Ray Lewis or similar that you can't let go is sitting there.

I would like to see another CB or a Safety taken in the first few rounds as well as a DT to play beside Floyd.

At QB I would be fine with waiting until round 2 and taking Mettenberger or one of the other second tier guys and then taking another QB in the 6th round.

On offense we are pretty stable with the only needs being on the OL and if we get a good staff I feel we could get a couple guys cheap in FA to fill those spots. Same thing with the secondary. Draft one guy and fill the rest in FA.

iowa
01-18-2014, 07:34 PM
just watched jimmy garropolo win the mvp of the east west shrine game. he looks pretty damn good, the analysts were sure slurping him up. he's taking mccarron's place in the senior bowl next week, it'll be interesting to see how he does. the hype train is picking up speed, he may climb draft boards like flacco did.

i_bleed_purple
01-18-2014, 07:37 PM
This is how I feel today... Will probably be totally different tomorrow.

#1. Understand we'll be making the switch to the 3-4.

Don't be so sure. Zimmer is not a 3-4 Coordinator. He's mainly run a 4-3, and at times will have packages featuring 3-4 based alignments. He's only ever run a 3-4 in Dallas because Jimmy Johnson wanted him to.

#2. Understand we will be needing a QB... To develop for at least a year. Maybe he challenges Cassel, but let it be a true competition between those two guys and may the best man take it. I am comfortable entering the season with Cassel.

Depends on who we get. If we draft a guy like Manziel, he HAS to HAS TO HAS TO sit for at least a year. IF we draft a mid round guy he needs to sit to learn. If we draft a guy who's more pro-ready, then they will likely start next season. Perhaps not right away, but eventually.

Draft-
Trade back. Yes I'm serious.
That's what I've been saying. There's nobody that gets me super moist in the top-10. No QB stands above all others as a great prospect. Add in the fact that there's about 5 QB needy teams ahead of us, and we very well can be looking at the 4th best QB at #8. I don't want that. Trade back, get an extra 2nd or 3rd, use that for depth and eventual starters. Get a starter with our late first.

Get back to somewhere around 13-17. Grab either: Louis Nix III to play NT in the 3-4, CJ Mosley at ILB, or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to pair with Harrison Smith. With the trade, we hopefully can pick up another 2nd.
Again, I don't see us going to the 3-4. And I"m not wild about drafting a S. Ideally, we'll sign Jairus Byrd. As well, Taylor Mays is a FA from Cincy, who Zimmer might be able to Lure over here. If we can't get a FA safety using KW and Allens newly freed cap space, then by all means, draft one.

Now our D looks something like

DE Shariff Floyd. NT Louis Nix III. DE Brian Robison (yes I think he can handle this.... Better than moving him to olb.
Brian Robison is 259 lbs. A prototypical 4-3 RDE, undersized even. He's a pass rusher mainly. His knock is his ability to support the run or clog up a double team. a 3-4 LDE should be pushing 300 lbs. The primary goal for them is to tie up blockers and holes to allow the LB to make plays. If we're going 3-4, it would be:

RDE: Sharrif Floyd
NT: Fred Evans (Hopefully we can draft a true NT, Evans won't really cut it)
LDE: Letroy Guion

for LB:
WOLB: Robison

WILB: Greenway

SILB: Cole

SOLB: Griffen

OLB Everson Griffin. ILB Audie Cole. ILB Free agent/ 2nd Rd pick/Erin Henderson? OLB chad Greenway
Erin is as good as gone. Got busted AGAIN for DUI. Expect him to be cut

Cb Xavier Rhodes. FS Harrison Smith. SS lots of nice FA here or 2nd Rd pick CB #1 FA target. Vontae Davis

One of the two seconds we would now have has to be QB though.
McCarron </problem>

With all of this being said, if Johnny Football is there at 8. Scrap this idea and lets roll with him! We need some fire and competitive spirit to pair with Zimmer's.
I'd rather skin my eyelids off and watch a lowlight tape of Tebow than have Manziel on this team.

Flair Hay
01-19-2014, 12:13 AM
The 8 guys I'd want in order:

1)Bridgewater
2)Manziel
3)Bortles
4)Clowney
5)Barr
6)Watkins
7)Mosley
8)Nix

If it's not one of these guys, I'd definitely prefer we try and trade down.

marshallvike
01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
It says most of the senior QB's are not ready for the NFL

Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/senior-bowl-tuesday-quarterbacks-struggle-oklahoma-colvin-tears-235134573--nfl.html)

There is some talent in the crop, and the best through two days certainly has been Fresno State's Derek Carr, younger brother of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr.

But the remaining five quarterbacks on the two squads have yet to show they can be considered anything near NFL starting material coming out of college. That has been the biggest takeaway of this intriguing but fairly underwhelming group so far.

tarkenton10
01-22-2014, 10:06 AM

1st - Johnny Manziel
2nd - Jimmy Garoppolo

1st Round - Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel, Sammy Watkins, Gilbert (Trade Down), Carr

If we don' take a QB
2nd Round - Garoppolo

mountainviking
01-22-2014, 11:04 AM
2014's Quarterback Conundrum - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum)

Thanks! Wow! That is a pretty crazy awesome breakdown of the top 4 QBs!!

First off, I sure don't like Carr's less than average completions in the short and long zones. And he had a terrible bowl game when facing stiffer competition. I feel like if he's the last QB of these 4 on the board at 8, there should be no Pondering, and we should go defense and look for Mettzenberger or Boyd or Garoppolo or ??? in the 2nd...and then maybe look to back that pick up with a McCarron or Murrey in the 4th or 5th.

Johnny Football does hit the big plays often. Likely, at least partially due to his scrambling ability buying time for his WRs to get down field (and open.) My worry about JF isn't his play making ability which pretty much jumps out to anyone watching, it is his thin frame and style of play that will too likely lead to him being a Vick type player; fun to watch but injured on the sidelines all too often. Smart, quick players can learn to avoid the big hits, is he one of those guys?

Bridgewater looks pretty well rounded in this breakdown. Highly unlikely he gets anywhere near pick 8.

Bortles' size intrigues me and he is faster than expected for his size. His completion percentages, like Bridgewater, were average or better in All Zones, and although he didn't throw it deep as often as the others, his completion % there was 2nd best only to Manziel.

And then there is the blitz/pressure...more proof against Carr and for Bortles:

- Upon first glance its pretty clear that Carr is lacking in both categories. His 50% completion percentage when under pressure is the worst among the top 8 QBs in this class and hes not setting the world ablaze against the blitz either.

- When looking at both categories, Bridgewater is the clear winner. He and Bortles both complete about 63% of their passes when under pressure, but Bridgewater is heads above the other QBs against the blitz nearly matching his ability when there are no extra rushers.

- Bortles has been noted for his success when under pressure and it shows here, hitting 63% of his passes when the defense is bearing down. He has the second highest completion percentage against the blitz at 71.05%.

At the moment, pre combine etc, I'd rank them: 1.Bridgewater, 2.Bortles, 3.Manziel and if those 3 are gone, either grab the future superstar LB who is still there, or move back and grab either the next best LB, or go with Nix or Hageman to play DT next to Floyd. I say we keep EG to start in Jared's spot and sign a vet Nickel Back who has the experience to understand all those mid-route options, yet is still young enough to play out a 5 year contract...ie, this is the spot I say we spend the most FA money on.

Improve play at DT and the rest of the line improves with them. Put somebody who can actually cover at LB to help the Nickel cover those short-intermediate passes and we might actually see dramatic defensive improvement in year one under Zimmer. (Assuming a healthy Harrison, and competition between Sendejo, Sanford & Raymond, and I think we are OK at Safety)

On a side note: Pretty damn sure I read that Zimmer said he will employ a 4-3 defense...but with some 3-4 looks thrown in once in a while...link anyone?