PDA

View Full Version : Why not go Defense with our first pick?

johnkdbr
12-01-2013, 12:07 PM
The more I think about it if we can't get Bridgwater then we go Defense with our first pick and grab DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina. This guy is a game changer. Then we grab a DT(Louis Nix III) with our 2nd pick. With the money we get by not signing J Allen or K Williams we can go after a LB & CB in Free Agency.
Plus think about this...If we don't get Bridwater we can trade back one or two spots to a team that needs a QB & still get Clowney. With the right moves we could be the Chiefs of 2014.

kevoncox
12-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Nix is a top 7 pick

johnkdbr
12-01-2013, 01:51 PM
That's true but if we can trade back in first round & pick up an extra 2nd round pick we could use that to move up from 2nd round to grab nix. Right now we have studs in Safety Smith, DE Robison, DE Griffin, CB Rhodes, DT Floyd & LB Greenway. We grab a CB & LB in FA. Secure our D-Line through the draft with Clowney & Nix. Look for a QB in the 3rd round.

kevoncox
12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Clowney would be a top 5 player. Can't rad back... get the picks and draft Clowney.

PurplePowerPunch
12-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I say we go Clowney in the first, then McCarron or Mettenberger in the second.

PInfante97
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
i say nothing else matter til we have a qb. id take 2 out of our top 4 picks and best qb available with our first pick

battleaxe4cheese
12-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Our team is going nowhere without a qb. Our defense is not good enough to win with a Dilfer type qb. We need a qb and a dang good one. That is all.

johnkdbr
12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I agree we need a QB but Bridwater is the only QB I would take in the first round. The rest are far from franchise consideration. I keep my fingers crossed the Manziel is available in the 2nd or 3rd round because I think with a little maturation he could be a once in a lifetime selection. With that in mind our offense despite the meteocre play at the QB position is scoring points. If we can make the adjustments on Defense we can win alot of those games we lost. So if we don't get Bridwater, which after our win today, I don't think we get him then we go Defense in the first round.

VikesfaninWis
12-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Our team is going nowhere without a qb. Our defense is not good enough to win with a Dilfer type qb. We need a qb and a dang good one. That is all.

Agreed. Look no further than GB. They are a top 5 team wins wise with Rodgers, a disgrace without him... He makes that team plain and simple, and the Vikings need a QB along those lines.

drewlovs
12-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Agreed. Look no further than GB. They are a top 5 team wins wise with Rodgers, a disgrace without him... He makes that team plain and simple, and the Vikings need a QB along those lines.

GB does not have AP or Cordelle Patterson either. Any ape could hand off the ball to AP, and Dilfer could easily complete passes to Patterson. Well, any ape except Ponder that is.

I think the draft is going to be deep for 2nd/3rd round QBs, and I have no problem getting one there if the guy we really want is gone. Unlike many people here, I really don't see a "overall #1 pick" QB in this year's draft; Luck AND RGIII were both that, but is Bridgewater really as good as either of those 2 blokes?

Now, temper THOSE comments with the knowledge that I really don't watch too much college FB; but last year in the championship game, a LOT of people were saying McCarron didn't want his girlfriend to do photo shoots or interviews because he was jealous that she, in the end, would be more famous than he will EVER be. That last due to his talent level...has he got THAT much better this year?

I don't know a lot about Bridgewater besides one game I watched, and though it was a good game, I didn't see "#1 draft pick for sure!!" written all over his play. If you all are sure he is a lock (as much as anyone can SAY he is a lock), I won't argue; but getting more defense at this point isn't a horrible idea.

bleedpurple
12-02-2013, 03:36 PM
#1 need is a QB plain and simple.... with that said, if we keep winning football games it might not be a bad idea to draft defense first instead of reaching for another marginal talent...

idahovikefan7
12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
#1 need is a QB plain and simple.... with that said, if we keep winning football games it might not be a bad idea to draft defense first instead of reaching for another marginal talent...

+1 This team will go no where without a good QB.

marshallvike
12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
We have now dropped to the 6th pick, haven't we? From 2nd or 3rd a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the heck out of the win yesterday though. Especially sitting with Bear fans.

tarkenton10
12-05-2013, 08:27 AM
The more I think about it if we can't get Bridgwater then we go Defense with our first pick and grab DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina. This guy is a game changer. Then we grab a DT(Louis Nix III) with our 2nd pick. With the money we get by not signing J Allen or K Williams we can go after a LB & CB in Free Agency.
Plus think about this...If we don't get Bridwater we can trade back one or two spots to a team that needs a QB & still get Clowney. With the right moves we could be the Chiefs of 2014.

I was really high on Clowney at the beginning of the season and would have been crazy happy to get him in the draft. But I have watched him all year and I really don't want him. Watch his next game and watch what happens if he gets stoned by a lineman at the LOS. If it is a pass play he just stops, like he doesn't know what to do. I watched him play several times, the last being Clemson. He just stops on pass plays if he doesn't get by with his first move.

kevoncox
12-05-2013, 09:36 AM
GB does not have AP or Cordelle Patterson either. Any ape could hand off the ball to AP, and Dilfer could easily complete passes to Patterson. Well, any ape except Ponder that is.

I think the draft is going to be deep for 2nd/3rd round QBs, and I have no problem getting one there if the guy we really want is gone. Unlike many people here, I really don't see a "overall #1 pick" QB in this year's draft; Luck AND RGIII were both that, but is Bridgewater really as good as either of those 2 blokes?

Now, temper THOSE comments with the knowledge that I really don't watch too much college FB; but last year in the championship game, a LOT of people were saying McCarron didn't want his girlfriend to do photo shoots or interviews because he was jealous that she, in the end, would be more famous than he will EVER be. That last due to his talent level...has he got THAT much better this year?

I don't know a lot about Bridgewater besides one game I watched, and though it was a good game, I didn't see "#1 draft pick for sure!!" written all over his play. If you all are sure he is a lock (as much as anyone can SAY he is a lock), I won't argue; but getting more defense at this point isn't a horrible idea.

No no no.......
That is the kind of thinking that ruins teams and players.
Saints had Drew Brees...what did they do? Traded up to attempt to draft an elite back in Ingram (failed). Atlanta had Ryan...what did they do? Signed Jackson.

Teams realize that to be a superbowl contender... you need an Elite QB and a running back.
You can't rely on "someone handing it off to AP". That's the shit that got us in this Ponder mess.
Have you realized that every team in this division has a top 15 QB and a top 15 RB. We need to do the same. We need to aim for a QB that's in the top 10 or we will be doomed to crappy season.

kevoncox
12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I was really high on Clowney at the beginning of the season and would have been crazy happy to get him in the draft. But I have watched him all year and I really don't want him. Watch his next game and watch what happens if he gets stoned by a lineman at the LOS. If it is a pass play he just stops, like he doesn't know what to do. I watched him play several times, the last being Clemson. He just stops on pass plays if he doesn't get by with his first move.

They played Clemson at the start of the season ( week 2 I believe). So you saw 1 game this season? Also lets add that the kid was hurt. I don't care if we get him because I am begging to move to the 3-4 but when did you watch him?

i_bleed_purple
12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Have you realized that every team in this division has a top 15 QB and a top 15 RB. We need to do the same. We need to aim for a QB that's in the top 10 or we will be doomed to crappy season.

We obviously need a QB, but I fear the top-5 picks of this draft are not the place to find it. I'm not sold on Bridgewater, I don't like Manziel at all. Don't konw much about Carr. I think McCarron would be a good fit for our team. He's done well when he needs to, and he's won an awful lot of games. He doesn't have the biggest arm, but bigger than Ponder. His decisionmaking and accuracy are already better. He can take advantage of good matchups while teams focus on taking away the run game. He'll be a good later pick, but I have a feeling someone will reach in the top-15 for him. He could be like Drew Brees. Not a huge arm, playing with a hall of fame RB limited what the Chargers needed him to do, so he could learn and develop. When given the chance to shine, boy did he shine in the right system.

Throwing away top picks on QBs because you need a QB is a good way to set a team back. (See: Alex Smith) If we're top-5, and wind upw ith the second or third best QB, we've wasted that pick.

Face it, we've picked a bad draft to suck.

tarkenton10
12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
They played Clemson at the start of the season ( week 2 I believe). So you saw 1 game this season? Also lets add that the kid was hurt. I don't care if we get him because I am begging to move to the 3-4 but when did you watch him?

You are mistaken they played Clemson last week. They beat them and had to hope Mizzou would lose to get into the SEC championship game.

vikesrgreat2
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
You are mistaken they played Clemson last week. They beat them and had to hope Mizzou would lose to get into the SEC championship game.

How did Tajh Boyd look that game for Clemson? Could he be a good QB for the Vikings? If not, why not?

midgensa
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
How did Tajh Boyd look that game for Clemson? Could he be a good QB for the Vikings? If not, why not?

I, personally, like Boyd ALOT. He has great touch on the deep ball and has good awareness. One of his flaws right now is his footwork, which really shows up with his short passing game, but I think it could be addressed.

Flair Hay
12-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Well the only team with a shot at Clowney and Nix both is the Rams if they get two top ten selections.

People may not be the biggest fans of it, but I'm warming up more and more to the thought of Manziel. He has a lot of stuff to work on, but his poise in the pocket and ability to keep his eyes downfield are top notch. Like really good. He's a bit of an improviser a la Romo, but that's kind of what we've been missing since Ponder arrived. Bridgewater is still a better prospect but the gap isn't enormous IMO.

If there isn't a QB the front office is a fan of, then on defense just take either Barr, Clowney or trade back a bit and grab Nix. Barr would probably be my favourite of that group. Less physically gifted but more of a gamer than Clowney. Either one would be a great fit.

A lot depends on who our head coach is come draft day. My favourite would probably be Mike Zimmer. I think our personnel (especially with Barr) would fit an aggressive 4-3 defense really well and he's had a good one in Cincinatti.

mountainviking
12-07-2013, 09:58 AM
As for coaching, what do you think about running Peterson through Kubiak's zone blocking scheme!?? It worked for whoever the RB was in Denver, and Houston, and if we can just find him a better QB than Ponder and Schaub, I think he'd have a real good chance at success.

At the moment, we'd be the 5th pick of the draft. But we could go up or down too...all 4 of the teams we have to play are still in the playoff conversation, could be tough to get a win, but my gut tells me we steal 1 or 2 W's out of the last 4 games.

If that happens we'll probably be picking between, oh aboot 7 and ten, and I really don't want us to reach for the next best QB again (ala Ponder) if the pickings are getting slim. Good chance we'd be better off grabbing a defender like Nix and then looking through the QB leftovers later. Bridgewater and Manziel top the list, but Hundley, Boyd, McCarron and Mettenberger all have good potential too, and there will most likely be a couple of them left on the board at our pick in the top ten of the 2nd round.

Besides, the big strong guys who can move tend to be very rare, and it might be best to get that type of game changer in the top ten while we have the chance!

johnkdbr
12-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking this would be the perfect 2014 for the Vikiings. Pick up Jay Cutler, LB, CB in FA. Then resign Kevin Williams to a 1 year deal.(I think he has another year in the tank.) Draft a DE or DT in first round, LB or CB in 2nd & pick up a QB prospect in the 3rd. I am still scratching my head wondering why the vikings didn''t trade Gearhardt or J allen or both for extra draft picks. Anyway I think Cutler with AP, Jennings, Patterson & Rudolph could get us to or close to the promise land.

6-KINGS
12-07-2013, 02:37 PM

This is by far the most accurate look at what lay's ahead in the upcoming draft,by the way I watch the crap out of College Football. There is NO ELITE/Start and make a huge impact QB in this upcoming draft. Having said that, every year people talk about a great college QB. The difference this year is they are are only great at the College level. This class of QB's are ALL a "project" to become better than average NFL QB's. We can pick up a QB in the draft but none will make a run at Rookie of the Year. We do need players who can play D. Teams with a great D for the most part stay and compete in every game. Sure we need a better QB, but they are not out there. Simply playing QB in college does not produce many Great QB's. That is why when it does happen it is a sensation that grabs all the NFL. Draft Defense.

kevoncox
12-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Totally right. I was thinking NC State. Not sure how I got them confused.

kevoncox
12-07-2013, 03:26 PM
This is by far the most accurate look at what lay's ahead in the upcoming draft,by the way I watch the crap out of College Football. There is NO ELITE/Start and make a huge impact QB in this upcoming draft. Having said that, every year people talk about a great college QB. The difference this year is they are are only great at the College level. This class of QB's are ALL a "project" to become better than average NFL QB's. We can pick up a QB in the draft but none will make a run at Rookie of the Year. We do need players who can play D. Teams with a great D for the most part stay and compete in every game. Sure we need a better QB, but they are not out there. Simply playing QB in college does not produce many Great QB's. That is why when it does happen it is a sensation that grabs all the NFL. Draft Defense.

I disagree,
I believe that 2 of the Qbs in this draft are elite Qbs.

313zoe
12-07-2013, 06:47 PM
We need to draft a DE, CB, or LB in the first round and draft a QB in the second or third round and sign Vick and see if the rookie QB can beat him out you gave freeman 3mills just for one game or sign Cutler but we need some defense playmakers

purplepat
12-08-2013, 06:59 AM

I am not convinced that any of the QBs coming out in this draft are going to be difference makers, or that the 1st guy is significantly better than the 5th guy. As bad as the defense has been this season, I'm pretty sure the best choice in the 1st round will be defense, and maybe the 2nd round as well. Haven't seen Nix play, but sounds like the size we need to stick next to Floyd. Not sure I want Clowney...talent undeniable but worry he'll be a real head case. We still need LB and CB help desperately, should be able to re-sign either Griffen or Allen to be the DE opposite Robison (assuming we stick with 4-3).

marshallvike
12-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Looks like we are back up to 4th pick in the draft. F'n Refs

umaguma1979
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree......even tough Jared Allen has quit - the Vikings need some defensive lineman - #1 priority. You cant lose both Kevin Williams & Jared Allen wihout a reasonable replacemnet. QB is not an issue. Hell - Cutler, Schaub, Vick, .......how many others will be available before the end of the year. Peterson is still under contract and you have the option of franchising Gerhart....defense is the #1 priority.

Purple Floyd
12-08-2013, 10:52 PM
watch what happens if he gets stoned by a lineman at the LOS. If it is a pass play he just stops, like he doesn't know what to do. I watched him play several times, the last being Clemson. He just stops on pass plays if he doesn't get by with his first move.

Sounds like the perfect replacement for JA as that fits his M.O to a "T"

Personally I see much the same from Clowney and think he could very well be the defensive equivalent of Tony Mandarich.

12purplepride28
12-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Aside from Bridgewater, my dream scenario would be having the #1 pick and trading back a spot or two then taking Clowney with that and somehow trading up and drafting Nix. God what a sick DL

12purplepride28
12-09-2013, 08:38 AM
I know that we need to bolster our defense, but QB is by far the most important position to fill. How many elite QBs do you know that play on bad teams? I can't think of any, other than maybe Matt Ryan but the Falcons are a hot mess. For the most part, if you have your QB position solidified a lot of holes on the team will be either masked or filled with players that want to play with that QB.

tastywaves
12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I know that we need to bolster our defense, but QB is by far the most important position to fill. How many elite QBs do you know that play on bad teams? I can't think of any, other than maybe Matt Ryan but the Falcons are a hot mess. For the most part, if you have your QB position solidified a lot of holes on the team will be either masked or filled with players that want to play with that QB.

It takes more than a QB to turn a bad franchise around. If we don't bring in some competent coaches then the draft is insignificant.

tarkenton10
12-09-2013, 11:07 AM

One game does not make a QB but I thought he looked poised the first half and had some good plays. He has a cannon of an arm and can run. Then there are times when he looks confused in the pocket and makes some bad decisions. The end of the SC game he didn't look like the leader that his team needed. From what I remember of this game and the FSU game he will need some work on his footwork and his progressions. He tends to look at his primary receiver the whole time which causes INTS. He is one of the qbs that are high risk/ high rewards. He and Bridgewater are two QBs that have the talent but can they do it at the next level. IMO I wouldn't draft him until around the 1st round 26-32. He is way too risky for our first round pick IMO.

tarkenton10
12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Sounds like the perfect replacement for JA as that fits his M.O to a "T"

Personally I see much the same from Clowney and think he could very well be the defensive equivalent of Tony Mandarich.:rofl: that is good stuff

tarkenton10
12-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't know how we got on QBs in the defensive thread but I have been saying for about two months that if we take a QB in this draft I would like us to draft Blake Bortles out of Central Fla. He is a Coach's son and has a great pocket presence. He can make all the throws and has great footwork.

jargomcfargo
12-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't know how we got on QBs in the defensive thread but I have been saying for about two months that if we take a QB in this draft I would like us to draft Blake Bortles out of Central Fla. He is a Coach's son and has a great pocket presence. He can make all the throws and has great footwork.
How's his accuracy ?
What little I have seen of the so called top three, none of them struck me as NFL quality QB's. Further down the list I thought aj McCarron looked good, but he has little pressure from opposing defenses. If they don't draft him they should draft his offensive line, they are incredible.

tarkenton10
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
How's his accuracy ?
What little I have seen of the so called top three, none of them struck me as NFL quality QB's. Further down the list I thought McCarren (sp),looked good but he has little pressure from opposing defenses. If they don't draft him they should draft his offensive line, they are incredible.

You never really get to see what a QB can do in a couple of games but he shredded Penn State and seemed to be very accurate. The same against, I think it was Louisville, when I saw him thread a needle in the back of the end zone to beat them. He had to throw it over the LB but had to put some zip on it before the CB could recover. I like the way he handles the offense and the huddle. I thought he was accurate in the two games I saw him play but I really liked how he led the offense.

They almost beat South Carolina (their only loss) and had a great come from behind victory over South Fla. Wouldn't it be nice to come from behind and win instead of the other way around all the time.

I agree with Ala. front line they are as good as some NFL lines (kidding but close).

Purple Floyd
12-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Does the name Todd Marinovich ring a bell?

tarkenton10
12-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Does the name Todd Marinovich ring a bell?

He doesn't have all the red flags TM had. He has had no drug issues (that we know of). He was not driven to be a football star by his father and from what I have seen and heard really loves the game. Again, maybe he is the next TM, drafting a franchise QB is never easy or every team would have one. I like this kid, if we are taking a QB I hope we draft him and he is flying up many draft boards as we type. Some now have him in the bottom of the first round and by draft day he could be the first QB off the board.

Purple Floyd
12-10-2013, 08:47 AM
He doesn't have all the red flags TM had. He has had no drug issues (that we know of). He was not driven to be a football star by his father and from what I have seen and heard really loves the game. Again, maybe he is the next TM, drafting a franchise QB is never easy or every team would have one. I like this kid, if we are taking a QB I hope we draft him and he is flying up many draft boards as we type. Some now have him in the bottom of the first round and by draft day he could be the first QB off the board.

Well, to be honest nobody has identical red flags but there are lots of ways to crap out in the league, that is all I am saying. The media hype machine builds these guys up to generate revenue for their companies and then if they fail they get to make money on their fall from grace. Yeah, it's tough picking winners and losers. No doubt about it.

What do I want in a QB? Besides the tangibles, I want to know how they handle losing. Do they take it well like Ponder and Frazier? If so I don't want them.

Show me a guy like Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Wilson who hate to lose and do everything they can to make sure if they do get beat that it doesn't happen again. That is a tough one because we as fans never get that side of a player but the GM should be able to see that and look for it.

tarkenton10
12-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Well, to be honest nobody has identical red flags but there are lots of ways to crap out in the league, that is all I am saying. The media hype machine builds these guys up to generate revenue for their companies and then if they fail they get to make money on their fall from grace. Yeah, it's tough picking winners and losers. No doubt about it.

What do I want in a QB? Besides the tangibles, I want to know how they handle losing. Do they take it well like Ponder and Frazier? If so I don't want them.

Show me a guy like Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Wilson who hate to lose and do everything they can to make sure if they do get beat that it doesn't happen again. That is a tough one because we as fans never get that side of a player but the GM should be able to see that and look for it.

I can't say for sure if he hates to lose but I can say he commands the offense and know how to run the two minute drill. Watch the end of the Louisville game. He drove them down calmly and coolly and threw a great pass for the go ahead score. He never seemed panicked and had everyone around him on the same page.

I am going to predict he will be the second qb off the board when all is said and done. If he plays well against Baylor in their bowl game he will start to get national attention and you will start to get more info so you can make a better more informed decision about him.

tastywaves
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I can't say for sure if he hates to lose but I can say he commands the offense and know how to run the two minute drill. Watch the end of the Louisville game. He drove them down calmly and coolly and threw a great pass for the go ahead score. He never seemed panicked and had everyone around him on the same page.

I am going to predict he will be the second qb off the board when all is said and done. If he plays well against Baylor in their bowl game he will start to get national attention and you will start to get more info so you can make a better more informed decision about him.

Tark, assuming we pick at 5 or higher this year, give me the order of the first 5 guys you would take if you were picking for MN. Don't worry about who might pick who ahead of us, just want to see your wish list in order. I haven't dove into it much yet, but looks like you have been.

Bridgewater and Clowney are the popular top two, but a lot of divergence after that.

I've seen a few mock drafts that have 5-6 QB's going in the top 10, seems a bit far fetched, but there is a lot of need if the candidates are deemed worthy (Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley, Bortles, Manziel). And Mariota would have been in that mix as well if he came out. That's before you get to the likes of Mettenberg/McCarron/Murray...... Personally I think the QB group is going to move all over the place between now and draft day, but it does appear to be the deepest draft for QB's that I can remember. New trend for colleges developing NFL worthy QB's? Hopefully they can eventually wash out the extreme disparity currently being seen in the NFL at QB.

tarkenton10
12-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Tark, assuming we pick at 5 or higher this year, give me the order of the first 5 guys you would take if you were picking for MN. Don't worry about who might pick who ahead of us, just want to see your wish list in order. I haven't dove into it much yet, but looks like you have been.

Bridgewater and Clowney are the popular top two, but a lot of divergence after that.

I've seen a few mock drafts that have 5-6 QB's going in the top 10, seems a bit far fetched, but there is a lot of need if the candidates are deemed worthy (Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley, Bortles, Manziel). And Mariota would have been in that mix as well if he came out. That's before you get to the likes of Mettenberg/McCarron/Murray...... Personally I think the QB group is going to move all over the place between now and draft day, but it does appear to be the deepest draft for QB's that I can remember. New trend for colleges developing NFL worthy QB's? Hopefully they can eventually wash out the extreme disparity currently being seen in the NFL at QB.

I'll be honest with you and I have just been taking in this college football season, so many good games. I really haven't looked and broken down height, weight, speed, team needs, so many things before the draft. Just from what I have seen at the QB pos. I would say if we want Bortles we should move down right now. I do think he will end up the second QB off the board come draft day. I think Bridgewater will the first Qb to go.

If I had to give you five names right now in order of importance IMO to the team.

Blake Bortles, he may fly up the board and we may have to take him at 6. I hope he flies under the radar and we can trade down to get him. He has all the intangibles that I look for in a QB.

Louis Nix, he is a run stuffer we have needed since Phat Pat.

Anthony Barr, we will need some pressure on the QB with JA gone after this year

Khalil Mack, Fits a need and is a playmaker on D.

Darqueze Dennard, great cover guy but how is his competition, he played in the BIG.

If you asked me right now and I had to give you an answer these are the guys I would like to have. By the time the draft comes it may be a totally different list. You also have to take into account that we may want to trade down for some of these players. Six may be too high when the draft rolls around, I think Bortles will be up there though come the month of May.

tastywaves
12-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I'll be honest with you and I have just been taking in this college football season, so many good games. I really haven't looked and broken down height, weight, speed, team needs, so many things before the draft. Just from what I have seen at the QB pos. I would say if we want Bortles we should move down right now. I do think he will end up the second QB off the board come draft day. I think Bridgewater will the first Qb to go.

If I had to give you five names right now in order of importance IMO to the team.

Blake Bortles, he may fly up the board and we may have to take him at 6. I hope he flies under the radar and we can trade down to get him. He has all the intangibles that I look for in a QB.

Louis Nix, he is a run stuffer we have needed since Phat Pat.

Anthony Barr, we will need some pressure on the QB with JA gone after this year

Khalil Mack, Fits a need and is a playmaker on D.

Darqueze Dennard, great cover guy but how is his competition, he played in the BIG.

If you asked me right now and I had to give you an answer these are the guys I would like to have. By the time the draft comes it may be a totally different list. You also have to take into account that we may want to trade down for some of these players. Six may be too high when the draft rolls around, I think Bortles will be up there though come the month of May.

Couple sample recent mock's:
2014 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft)

Rob Rang
#1-Bridgewater (houston)
#4- Carr (Vikings)
#6- Manziel (jacsonville)
#7-Bortles (cleveland) -- rising fast --Fiesta Bowl will be big for his stock

Dane Bugler
#1-Bridgewater
#4- Manziel
#6 - Carr
#7 - Bortles

2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com (http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php)

#1-Bridgewater (houston)
#2-Clowney (vikings)
#5 - Carr (J'ville)
#6 - Hundley (Cleveland)
#7 - Manziel (Oakland)

--They didn't put Bortles on their list since he hasn't declared yet, otherwise they would have them as their 2nd QB

QBs aplenty in Schrager's 2014 NFL Mock Draft, 1.0 | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/schrager-s-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-120413)
#1 Bridgewater (Houston)
#2 Hundley (J'Ville)
#6 Carr (Vikings)
#11 Manziel (jets)
#13 Boyd (titans) --most mocks have Boyd in the 2nd round at this point

This will be a hard draft to pass up a QB with the first pick. Clowney or Barr might make you hesitate, but it looks like QB will be a popular pick in the first round.

tarkenton10
12-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Couple sample recent mock's:
2014 NFL Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft)

Rob Rang
#1-Bridgewater (houston)
#4- Carr (Vikings)
#6- Manziel (jacsonville)
#7-Bortles (cleveland) -- rising fast --Fiesta Bowl will be big for his stock

Dane Bugler
#1-Bridgewater
#4- Manziel
#6 - Carr
#7 - Bortles

2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com (http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php)

#1-Bridgewater (houston)
#2-Clowney (vikings)
#5 - Carr (J'ville)
#6 - Hundley (Cleveland)
#7 - Manziel (Oakland)

--They didn't put Bortles on their list since he hasn't declared yet, otherwise they would have them as their 2nd QB

QBs aplenty in Schrager's 2014 NFL Mock Draft, 1.0 | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/schrager-s-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-120413)
#1 Bridgewater (Houston)
#2 Hundley (J'Ville)
#6 Carr (Vikings)
#11 Manziel (jets)
#13 Boyd (titans) --most mocks have Boyd in the 2nd round at this point

This will be a hard draft to pass up a QB with the first pick. Clowney or Barr might make you hesitate, but it looks like QB will be a popular pick in the first round.

I agree that it will be hard to pass up a QB. I think we are going to be 3-12-1, we won't beat the Eagles, Bengals or Lions. Although we have a shot at the Lions IMO at home. We should have a shot at Bortles unless he tears up the bowl game and has all the measurable at the combine. I am pretty sure he will do well in the interviews, We shall see. I do not want Clowney he looks like a bust at this point. Not that I have been right all the time, Keuchley out of BC really surprised me.

drewlovs
12-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone expect anything from next year's draft besides a QB and tons of defense (LBs in particular)? WRs are good, RBs are golden, and we have 2 good TEs. Our OL was supposed to be one of the best, but their failures could be more the QB they are protecting than the lack of ability.

One more CB, 2-4 LBs and a QB is what I am expecting/hoping for... or am I midding something?

Oh, can you get a new coach from the draft?

tastywaves
12-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone expect anything from next year's draft besides a QB and tons of defense (LBs in particular)? WRs are good, RBs are golden, and we have 2 good TEs. Our OL was supposed to be one of the best, but their failures could be more the QB they are protecting than the lack of ability.

One more CB, 2-4 LBs and a QB is what I am expecting/hoping for... or am I midding something?

Oh, can you get a new coach from the draft?

QB and corner should be at the top in terms of need. DT is right up there as well, especially if KW isn't resigned.

Others: replacement for Toby if he leaves (later round pick), LG, DE if JA leaves if not to start than for depth.

I would not expect 2-4 LB's. Maybe one, but if not in the first few rounds then he just gets added to the stable of development LB's already on the roster.

NodakPaul
12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
QB and CB should be our first two picks, although not necessarily in that order.

kevoncox
12-11-2013, 05:50 PM
QB and corner should be at the top in terms of need. DT is right up there as well, especially if KW isn't resigned.

Others: replacement for Toby if he leaves (later round pick), LG, DE if JA leaves if not to start than for depth.

I would not expect 2-4 LB's. Maybe one, but if not in the first few rounds then he just gets added to the stable of development LB's already on the roster.

I, for one would be open to signing Cutler if he came at the right price.
That would allow us to get QB, DT and CB off our plates.
Cutler, Nix, and 2nd round CB looks better to me than
Carr, 2nd round CB and questionable DT prospect.

We also need another WR.
Joe Webb is not the answer,

NeoVikesTX
12-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Stats say we should go defense. We are currently 31st in total defense, and 14th in total offense.

However I think we will take a QB in the first round. The team has invested too much into Peterson and signing Jennings, plus the emergence of Patterson to continue to have a sub-par QB under center.

I think we will have a top 5 pick, and will pick the best available QB again...... let's hope they pan out better than Ponder did.

singersp
12-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Stats say we should go defense. We are currently 31st in total defense, and 14th in total offense.

That would be total offense, with AD & Cassel figured in.

Stats say Ponder is worse than 31st in QBR, TD's thrown, fewest INT's thown, sacks, Avg yards/pass & passing yards.

We need a new starting QB. We should be able to grab a decent defensive player or 2 in FA & draft another or 2.

purplepat
12-14-2013, 06:22 PM
In terms of points allowed and yards allowed, the 2013 Vikings defense may be the worst Vikings defense of all time. Now, depending on what happens in free agency, you are going to lose Jared Allen, Everson Griffen, and Kevin Williams. Chris Cook, while not the worst CB in the NFL, has been a bust with zero takeaways in his Viking career. All of the other CBs except Rhodes are liabilities in coverage. Fixing the defense should be priority #1. Don't forget as bad as Ponder has been, etc., the defense has essentially lost four games this season by giving up a TD in the final minute (and you might argue the defense caused the tie vs GB).

Not saying the Vikes don't need major improvement at the QB position as well, just not convinced that any of the QBs coming out are really franchise type guys worthy of being taken in the top 10 picks. Should be a much better defensive player available in the 1st, and with the QB class being fairly deep, waiting until the 2nd or 3rd round should still get us one of the higher rated guys (still a crapshoot, but heck, I think Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr etc. are all crapshoots as well). Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a guy like McCarron or Boyd last into the 3rd round, as well as several others.